To the Manor borne… (everyone)

A brutal murder has taken place in the small Highland village of Strathmorn. The accused claims that the ghosts from a local haunted manor are to blame!

Piqued by the alleged supernatural angle to the case, renowned Psychical Researcher, Harry Price, is seeking a team of responsible persons ‘of leisure and intelligence, intrepid, critical and unbiased’ to investigate the haunting.

Doesn’t that just sound like the sort of thing you’ve been looking for?

Moderator: Philulhu

BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 1 year 7 months

Re: To the Manor borne… (everyone)

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

"Possibly, theres also this phrase, which may also be away of summoning or banishing them," Dr Douglas shows them the words, "Although we have no way of knowing how many of these things are here? I wonder what the villagers make of the trees? The book mentions someone named Lennox who supplied the bodies, could he have been from the village?"
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Post by Snapper »

"So what are we saying? These beasties live in the African trees?"

Ascot pulls up his shiny new binoculars again and has a look at several of the strange trees.

OOC:   Is anything strange visible up any of the African trees? Is there room for something to partially hollow out a trunk and live inside it?  
Joajackson
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Joajackson »

"I would rreally be against ze destruction of ze trees, at least while we arre in ze close arrea. We could talk to ze locals, yes? Say ze trees have malaria insects or such, and burn them with ze help of ze farmers."
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Joajackson wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:16 pm "I would rreally be against ze destruction of ze trees, at least while we arre in ze close arrea. We could talk to ze locals, yes? Say ze trees have malaria insects or such, and burn them with ze help of ze farmers."

"That wouldn't help the reason we are here and more importantly wont help that poor soul in custody. We need to kill or capture this thing. Some one in the village must know something."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

The African trees were straighter and with fewer branches than their indigenous counterparts, and the canopy was higher so it was clear to see that there was nothing lodged up them (other than the one solitary sheep).
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

OOC:   How far is the nearest tree from the party?  
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

About 45 feet (roughly 15 metres).
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Where does it go when it's nae in the trees, I wonder?" asks Bonnie. "Well, it's bound to come back for the sheep at some point. I have an idea. I could rig up a small device that transmits a radio signal, and we could place it inside the sheep. If the sheep is taken, I could use my equipment to track the radio signal."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

I’m not 100% convinced the technology exists at this point in history to build something small enough and robust enough but I’m happy to be proved wrong if you can point me to a suitable source?
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

OOC:   TBH, my image of early '30s radio is something the size of a suitcase.  

"I have a counter proposal that won't take more than a few minutes and requires no invention. As I hope I've made clear, I am no genius but I have a practical side. So, I fire a few rounds into the nearest of these African trees. If there's an animal hiding in that tree, it should come haring out."

"If not, repeat for the next tree. If nothing comes out of any tree, we chop them down. Does anyone have an objection?"

In readiness, Ascot sights his battered old army rifle on the nearest African tree.
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Dr Douglas gulps, his voice quivering, "I could read out this phrase? It must have some importance to be included in the journal. Hold tour bullets to see if there is any effect?"
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Ascot shrugs. "Do you think it is a phrase the beast is trained to respond to? Be my guest, Doc." He does not look overly convinced but Ascot lowers his rifle to wait on the results.
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

"Worth a try" Dr Douglas looks at Ascot Then steps forward, holding the journal in his shaking hands he recites the phrase, "NIHAR CTHOR HAG NAATHI IST’HE GHLAN GHEIHNT’HOR.”
Joajackson
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Joajackson »

Father Ó Shaban really made sure to stay separated from any tree with at least any other human, for he really was the weakest of the group and didn't have any weapons.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Aye, let's try it," says Bonnie. She positions herself behind cover as far from the trees, but still within rifle range, and takes aim in the trees' direction.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Dr. Douglas’ voice rang out with the strange phrasing of the words on the note that sounded so alien to them. There was no obvious change in the trees, their leaves just continued to sway in the light breeze.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

"It was worth a try, Doc. I don't know anymore how much common sense applies here, but it seems likely that weird language was being used no more recently then a hundred years ago. It might have worked then as a command for some kind of trained response, like 'heel'. But whatever animal is alive now must surely be that animal's great grand-kitten?"

Ascot raises his rifle again and starts sighting the nearest tree.
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

"I dont whether to be relieved or disappointed" Dr Douglas says as he slowly lowers the book. "Save your ammo Ascot, jave you a knife or anything to cut into the tree?Another option is to.come back at night, whatever the creature maybe it seems to be more active then."
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

"I think I'd rather shoot from this distance than get closer. Those trees and this whole place are giving me nerves."

Ascot raises the rifle, sights and fires at the nearest tree, about midway up its trunk. Those who have memories of the War will be familiar with the sound of a Lee-Enfield.

1d%FL65%

With a meaty 'thunk', a 303 bullet smacks into the tree trunk.

2d6+4

OOC:   13 points damage, if it matters.  

Ascot pauses to watch with interest for a response from some hidden animal.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"If ye want to chop down a tree," says Bonnie, "ye need an axe. And I dinna think we're dealing with a kitten."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “The Horror on the Glen”