The Kirk (Ascot)

A brutal murder has taken place in the small Highland village of Strathmorn. The accused claims that the ghosts from a local haunted manor are to blame!

Piqued by the alleged supernatural angle to the case, renowned Psychical Researcher, Harry Price, is seeking a team of responsible persons ‘of leisure and intelligence, intrepid, critical and unbiased’ to investigate the haunting.

Doesn’t that just sound like the sort of thing you’ve been looking for?

Moderator: Philulhu

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: The Kirk (Ascot)

Post by Mr. Handy »

"What became of the servant?" asks Bonnie.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

”The servant was reputed tae have disappeared around the same time as Alexander McMorn if I remember correctly. It was a very long time ago. Certainly there’s nae one alive now who was around at the time,” said Reverend McCallan. ”As for a journal… ….” He paused for thought and then stood and said, ”Follow me.”

He lead the group back to the kirk, pushing open the heavy wooden door to let them in. He lead the way over to a plaque on the wall and pointed to the names written there. Archie McPhee was Reverend at the time. He will hae kept a journal. That might tell ye what he want tae know, not that I know where it is. I’ll counsel ye not tae visit the Manor House though. Nae good will come of ye going there and stirring up the ghosts!”
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Post by Snapper »

"I'm Hugo Ascot, Reverend, and I'm an Africa man myself, although I asure you I'm an honest protestant. Do you happen to recall what part of Africa this servant chap was from, or where this McMorn fellow travelled to in Africa? "
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”I’m sorry Mr Ascot, but I have no idea. It was a century ago so unless it was recorded in Reverend McPhee’s journal, I really wouldn’t know,” said Reverend McCallan briskly.
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 1 year 7 months

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

"What supernatural occurences have been reported about the Manor do ya ken?"
Joajackson
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Joajackson »

Philulhu wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:37 pm ”I’m sorry Mr Ascot, but I have no idea. It was a century ago so unless it was recorded in Reverend McPhee’s journal, I really wouldn’t know,” said Reverend McCallan briskly.
"So fazerr... What kind of demon do you zink haunts ze house. Ze man of ze Afrrica, was from ze Land of ze Paraos?"

Father Ó Shaban, priest of an african religion, was very convenient for this context.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank ye, Reverend," says Bonnie. "Our investigation may not be complete if we dinna visit the manor, though perhaps that could at least be postponed, and we would appreciate your prayers. We shall of course study the journal before we proceed."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Reverend McCallan blinked as he processed Father Ó Shaban’s question. ”I am nae familiar with the demons of Africa,” he replied. ”But I do know that demons are the work of Satan and they seek to tempt ye from the path of righteousness. I only know what locals tell me about the village but it is reputed to be haunted since Alexander McMorn disappeared. As such, and as the minister for this village, I forbid ye from visiting the manor lest ye stir up trouble for the local people.”
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

"May we see the journal?" Asks Dr Douglas , "Oh, one more thing, do you know of a Duncan? we believe he was friends with the deceased and his wife."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Reverend MacCallan looked slightly exasperated. ”I didnae say I had his journal, I said he will hae kept one. Where it is now though, is anyone’s guess. Although… …” He stood and looked at the list of names on the board for a moment, then said, ”Ye might well ask Gordon, who runs the Post Office. He’s a McPhee.”

”The only Duncan in the village is Duncan Brodie. He’s a neighbour of the McColls.”
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Ascot is keen to calm the reverend. "Thank you, Reverend, you have been very helpful with all of our annoying questions and I hope we haven't distressed you. Your warning shall be headed."

"Can I trouble you for one more question? I agree that no native predators are left on these isles that could do such damage, all were hunted out centuries ago. Big game hunting is my trade in Africa, you see. But might there be any well-to-do landowners hereabouts with an exotic pet from foreign parts? Lions, tigers, other big cats, bears?"

"It's a more popular idea in America but you can never tell what craziness people will get into their heads when they have a few spare pounds."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank ye again," says Bonnie. "We shall seek out Gordon McPhee. Do ye know Duncan and the McColls well?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”I know all my parishioners,” replied Reverend McCallan. ”It’s a small village so not much escapes my notice.”

”There’s nae ‘big game’ around here, Mr Ascot. Earl Cawdor wouldnae hear of it, what with turning his land over to hunting and shooting. I shouldn’t imagine ye’ll find so much as a fox within five miles.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We've heard a rumour about Duncan and Mrs. McColl," says Bonnie. "I thought you might know whether there was any truth to it."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Bonnie could see the colour rising in Reverend MacCallan’s cheeks. ”Is that what’s it’s come tae?!” he snapped.”Poor Mrs McColl a widow not yet a week and people are already spreading scurrilous rumours!”

He turned and walked off angrily in the direction of the door. ”I’d advise ye not to go around repeating such tawdry accusations. That poor woman! As if she hasnae suffered enough! I’m spent enough time here - ye’s can show yerselves out!”
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

"Well that went swimmingly i think."Dr Douglas mentions to the group."Maybe a change in tack is in order when we visit Mr McPhee. Talk less of the supernatural and maybe more on local history if we are to hopefully see this journal. No doubt word of investigations will have spread throughout this village."
Joajackson
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Joajackson »

BoyBlunder78 wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 5:04 pm "Well that went swimmingly i think."Dr Douglas mentions to the group."Maybe a change in tack is in order when we visit Mr McPhee. Talk less of the supernatural and maybe more on local history if we are to hopefully see this journal. No doubt word of investigations will have spread throughout this village."
"Forrgiveness if I am inabrobiate, yes. But I dunt zink zat my prresence herre allows ze relaxation of ze rumourrs. I have heard quite a small town tale, farr away forreigners don't tend to bring, ze tranquility."
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Ascot looks at his companions with amusement. "Please tell me you made arrangements for our having some supper before you annoyed the lady at the hotel. We don't seem to be doing so well with tact and diplomacy here."

Spoiler:
About what time is it?
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

It’s approaching 4.30pm.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Aye, we did," says Bonnie. "I'm sorry about that. Let's go to the post office now before it closes. I shall keep my mouth shut this time."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “The Horror on the Glen”