The Sneck (Everyone)

A brutal murder has taken place in the small Highland village of Strathmorn. The accused claims that the ghosts from a local haunted manor are to blame!

Piqued by the alleged supernatural angle to the case, renowned Psychical Researcher, Harry Price, is seeking a team of responsible persons ‘of leisure and intelligence, intrepid, critical and unbiased’ to investigate the haunting.

Doesn’t that just sound like the sort of thing you’ve been looking for?

Moderator: Philulhu

Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

The Sneck (Everyone)

Post by Philulhu »

The Station Hotel, Academy Street, Inverness
Wednesday 18 March 1931. 8.00pm

The station clock tolled 8 ‘o’ clock as the party disembarked at Inverness railway station. The journey had been pleasant enough, rolling up through England and into the Scottish Highlands, but tiring, so the sight of the hotel just outside the station was a welcome one.

A station porter assisted with their luggage and a doorman opened the front door to admit them to the reception area, where a neatly attired, one-armed man stood behind the desk.

“Welcome to the Station Hotel,” he said, in a distinct Scottish burr. “I hope ye’ve had a pleasant journey. Now, do ye have any reservations? We’re a might full this evening.”

’The Sneck’ - what locals call Inverness, in case anyone was wondering.

I’ll assume that you had chance to pick up anything you wanted to bring with you (within reason) and that Father Ò Staban managed to catch the same train as everyone else (the time had been announced so there was no reason for him not to know). If you have any doubts as to whether that elephant gun you brought will attract attention, just ask. I’ve skipped the train journey but you will have time to discuss the case the in guest’s lounge before deciding on your course of action.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Re: The Sneck (Everyone)

Post by Snapper »

Ascot straightens his back with some audible popping and a sigh. "And a good evening to you in this beautiful part of the country. There should be several rooms booked by a Mr Price for our party. I'm Ascot."

Ascot casts a happy look about the hotel while he waits, curious to see the changes from England to Scotland.

Spoiler:
I'm hoping Ascot's standard 303 rifle in its case won't be an issue.
If asked, his honest answer is it's his hunting piece. (And a souvenir of the War.) His old service revolver is tucked away in his trunk, wrapped in a cloth.
danyw
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 1 year 7 months

Post by danyw »

As soon as she stepped foot off the train, Caitríona was instantly more joyful. Being on the grounds of Scotland somehow felt so much better than being on the grounds of England. Satchel securely around her chest—she had refused to relinquish it when the porter took her suitcase—she smiled at the man behind the desk as she stood near Mr. Ascot. She was glad to see that they employed disabled veterans here; at least that's what she assumed he was. "Good evening, sir," she added to Mr. Ascot's statement.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Ascot’s first impression of the differences was tartan, lots and lots of tartan… Other than that, the bar that lay just off the reception area was perhaps smaller than those he had seen in English hotels but otherwise they were markedly similar.

“Good evening, Mr Ascot,” replied the concierge. “I have yer reservation here.” He glanced at the rifle bag over Ascot’s shoulder. “It is hotel policy, Sir, that any weapons are locked away in the hotel safe whilst ye’re on the premises. I trust also that ye have a firearm certificate? The local pollis are quite strict on the matter.”

Turning to Caitriona, he smiled and glanced at the telegram in front of him. “Welcome, Miss. I assume ye are in the same party. Would ye be Miss MacKenzie or Miss Ward?”

The Firearms Act of 1920 is in effect: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearms_ ... s_Act_1920.
danyw
Layman
Layman

Post by danyw »

"Right I am, sir. That'd be Miss Ward, but I think that you can call me Miss Mac an Bhaird, if it's not too much trouble." Cait assumed that he would be perfectly fine with called her by her true surname, but she requested it politely just the same.
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Dr Douglas is sitting in the hotel lounge after returning from.his room, his medical bag by his chair. He approaches Ascot and the lady at the front desk. "What do you think of our beautiful Scottish countryside?" ] Then addressing the pair of them I ask " Is there any sign of the old priest?:

OOC:   My medical bag comtains the usual equipmemt. Scalpel, stethoscope, reflex hammer, scissors, gauze bandages,, padding, various painkillers, couple bottles of laudumn  
Joajackson
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Joajackson »

BoyBlunder78 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:39 pm Dr Douglas is sitting in the hotel lounge after returning from.his room, his medical bag by his chair. He approaches Ascot and the lady at the front desk. "What do you think of our beautiful Scottish countryside?" ] Then addressing the pair of them I ask " Is there any sign of the old priest?:

OOC:   My medical bag comtains the usual equipmemt. Scalpel, stethoscope, reflex hammer, scissors, gauze bandages,, padding, various painkillers, couple bottles of laudumn  
At the moment of the declaration, there was the sign of the old priest. The old man, foreign as it could be, had just now managed to finally get into the hotel. He seemed to have gotten lost at some point somewhere while leaving the train, in which he has travelled too.

He would go to try and see if there was an available room in the hotel in any case, that presumably should be, as if he had firmed the legal papers, there would have been space for him presumably, and it was improbable for that space to already have been occupied by another person. In any case, while passing by, he did did a sign of hello to the other travellers.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

The (male) concierge amended Cait’s details, issued Dr Douglas with his key (and details of a local optician) before turning to Father Ò Shaban.

“Good evening, Father. Welcome to the Station Hotel. Do ye have a reservation?”
Joajackson
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Joajackson »

Philulhu wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:45 pm The (male) concierge amended Cait’s details, issued Dr Douglas with his key (and details of a local optician) before turning to Father Ò Shaban.

[color=#00800]“Good evening, Father. Welcome to the Station Hotel. Do ye have a reservation?”[/color]
The Father Ó Shaban in his friendly manner answered with quite the confusion.

"Ze forrgiveness good man, forr I don't zink I have. It's zere a broblem wiz zat? I am surre zere is at least a rroom available."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Your lady at the front desk was Cait wasn’t it? I assumed that you’d mistaken the concierge for a woman, hence my reference to an optician’s…

My bad - sorry!😬

“I’m afraid we’re fully booked, Father. There was a train cancelled and all of our rooms have gone,” replied the concierge apologetically. ”I can recommend another hotel or there’s allus the seaman’s mission, although that might be a wee bit rough and ready for ye.”
Joajackson
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Joajackson »

Philulhu wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:23 pm
Your lady at the front desk was Cait wasn’t it? I assumed that you’d mistaken the concierge for a woman, hence my reference to an optician’s…

My bad - sorry!😬

“I’m afraid we’re fully booked, Father. There was a train cancelled and all of our rooms have gone,” replied the concierge apologetically. ”I can recommend another hotel or there’s allus the seaman’s mission, although that might be a wee bit rough and ready for ye.”
The Father seemed quite worried about such, and after touching his beard he spoke.

"Yes, yes. I so see. Quite ze situation one would say. Quite terrible. But everryzing will be solved, Inshallah. I so say. If you would be so amiable, I will ask forr a... How you call it? A taxi, yes. And an hotel recomendation."

After saying this and doubting for a moment, he spoke again.

"And if you can, could you find some... How would you call it? Brrotection firm? Bodyguards, zats is ze name, yes? Zeir number, yes. I want to travel to ze countryside, and well. Forrgiveness, but not all scotts like the Coptic."
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Philulhu wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:59 pm
“Good evening, Mr Ascot,” replied the concierge. “I have yer reservation here.” He glanced at the rifle bag over Ascot’s shoulder. “It is hotel policy, Sir, that any weapons are locked away in the hotel safe whilst ye’re on the premises. I trust also that ye have a firearm certificate? The local pollis are quite strict on the matter.”

Ascot casually unslings the rifle case and places it in the counter. "Yes, of course, all properly documented. I organise game hunting tours to Africa. I am hoping to do a little deer hunting here, should the opportunity arise. In the meantime, I would be most grateful if you could keep this in your safe."

Ascot politely glances at the man's lost arm for a moment. "Was that the War's doing, if you'll pardon my asking? The Scots gained a hard earned reputation for fierceness and bravery."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

“‘The Coptic’? What’s that then, Father? Something to do with ye being a priest?” The concierge laughed. “Ye’ll not be needing a bodyguard round here, lest ye’re planning on lecturing on temperance down at the Mission! Ye’ll have nae trouble.”

“Let me try ma pal, Doddie,” he continued. ”He works at the Columba - I’ll see if I can’t get ye a room there.” He went into the back office where he could be heard on the telephone, although Father Ò Shaban struggled to follow the conversation being in board Scots.

“Ye’re sorted, Father,” said the concierge. “The Columba’s got a room and one of the lads’ll run ye over there in the trap.”

The concierge turned to Ascot. “Aye, sir. I served with the Tyneside Scottish at The Somme and Amentiers, but lost ma arm at Arras in 1917. It was good of the boss to hold ma job open ‘til I was fit and well again.”
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Philulhu wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:14 am
The concierge turned to Ascot. “Aye, sir. I served with the Tyneside Scottish at The Somme and Amentiers, but lost ma arm at Arras in 1917. It was good of the boss to hold ma job open ‘til I was fit and well again.”

"I am very pleased to hear it." Ascot pulls a shilling from his pocket and discreetly passes it over the counter. "Perhaps you'll have a small whisky later and think of our brothers who didn't come home."

Ascot nods and makes ready to head to his room.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Dinna fash yourself, Father," says Bonnie. "I live in the area. I can stay at home and meet everyone here in the morning, and you can have my room. 'Twill give me the chance to bring some things too."

I'm bringing a (modified) black 1931 Rolls Royce 20/25, with a tool kit as well as a gun case containing a shotgun, a hunting rifle, and ammo for both (stored in the boot). I'll also bring a hunting knife and an electric torch.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

How will our new investigators learn the perils of splitting the party if you do that…? ;)

Given the lateness of the hour, the concierge informed them that the kitchens were closed but he would ask the kitchen porter if he could rustle up some sandwiches. Twenty minutes late, they were sat around a table in the otherwise deserted hotel restaurant to find the porter had excelled himself. Bowls of steaming cock-a-leekie soup - the national dish made with peppered chicken stock, leeks and prunes - were served with big chunks of bread to the hungry travellers, followed by a glass of sherry while they talked about their plans for the coming day.

This is your chance to discuss how you’re going to start finding out what happened.
Joajackson
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Joajackson »

Mr. Handy wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:25 am Image

"Dinna fash yourself, Father," says Bonnie. "I live in the area. I can stay at home and meet everyone here in the morning, and you can have my room. 'Twill give me the chance to bring some things too."

I'm bringing a (modified) black 1931 Rolls Royce 20/25, with a tool kit as well as a gun case containing a shotgun, a hunting rifle, and ammo for both (stored in the boot). I'll also bring a hunting knife and an electric torch.
The Father Ó Shaban seemed quite happy at her declaration but refused nonetheless.

"Forrgiveness, young Lady. Forr I will refuse, I couldnt ask too much of you."

At that, he would say goodbye to everyone there, and leave to the other hotel.
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Joajackson wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:05 am
Philulhu wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:23 pm

My bad - sorry!😬

Its ok lol. I should have been clearer. I thought it was a hint to go and quiz the optician :lol:

The Father seemed quite worried about such, and after touching his beard he spoke.

"Yes, yes. I so see. Quite ze situation one would say. Quite terrible. But everryzing will be solved, Inshallah. I so say. If you would be so amiable, I will ask forr a... How you call it? A taxi, yes. And an hotel recomendation."

After saying this and doubting for a moment, he spoke again.

"And if you can, could you find some... How would you call it? Brrotection firm? Bodyguards, zats is ze name, yes? Zeir number, yes. I want to travel to ze countryside, and well. Forrgiveness, but not all scotts like the Coptic."
danyw
Layman
Layman

Post by danyw »

Cait laid her bag around the back of her seat and stretched her legs discreetly, glad to finally be eating something. The fare on the train was alright, but something about eating while moving did not sit right with her, even when you could hardly feel the train's speed at all. She was a bit disappointed the soup contained no prunes, but she ate it and the bread heartily nonetheless.

"Excellent dinner," she said to no one in particular, although she meant to thank the porter again afterwards. More toward the group she added, "Too bad about the Father, though I expect we'll be seeing something of him tomorrow. And speaking of—what do we plan to do in the morning? If it's alright with the rest of you, I think meeting here at 8AM sharp and making our way to the house together should work well."

Cait has brought typical things along with her as well as her medical/first aid kit (the usual things, with some stranger items like scalpels and such due to the fact she works with dead bodies rather than living ones), her electric flashlight, and her Box Brownie camera.
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

"8am is fine by me and speaking pf the good father i might check with reception and see where they may have sent him, although he may not have signed along with us, a man of the cloth may be an asset should anything 'otherworldly raise its head" [color=BF0000] With a smirk on his face, Dr Douglas cleans the lenses of his glasses as he mentions 'otherworldy'.

Return to “The Horror on the Glen”