The Sneck (Everyone)

A brutal murder has taken place in the small Highland village of Strathmorn. The accused claims that the ghosts from a local haunted manor are to blame!

Piqued by the alleged supernatural angle to the case, renowned Psychical Researcher, Harry Price, is seeking a team of responsible persons ‘of leisure and intelligence, intrepid, critical and unbiased’ to investigate the haunting.

Doesn’t that just sound like the sort of thing you’ve been looking for?

Moderator: Philulhu

BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 1 year 7 months

Re: The Sneck (Everyone)

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

"Looks like a negative on the exotic animal front ol' chap." Dr Douglas says to Ascot.
Joajackson
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Joajackson »

BoyBlunder78 wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:29 pm "Looks like a negative on the exotic animal front ol' chap." Dr Douglas says to Ascot.
The Father Ó Shaban Interjected to that with reassurring words.

"I wouldnt be so surre. Yes, zere is no bublic animal. But ze trraveler from ze farr continent, he could have bringed ze secret kind."
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

"This is true Father." Once again the Doctor turns to the librarian with another question, "Is there a record of the young Master Alec Mcmorn's ships manifest from when he rerurned from the dark continent? Also has anyone else from the village teturned from any exoctuc climes?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Well, something killed those sheep," says Bonnie, "and it wasna the lad. He has a perfect alibi for that last one."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Post by Snapper »

"Excellent teamwork! Now we're making some progress."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

The librarian looked at them for a long moment and scratched his head. ”Let me see…” he said. He walked off to consult some index cards behind the main desk, came back to read the journal, then headed off in the direction of the newspaper archive. He returned 15 minutes with a large ledger-style book, which opened to reveal some yellowing copies of the Inverness Courier. He carefully turned through the pages until he found the newspaper that matched the date of Alex McMorn’s return. A few days later, there was a short article about his return from Africa.

Explorer Returns!
Tuesday, 5 June 1810

Master Alexander McMorn, son of Gordon McMorn of McMorn Manor, Strathmorn, has returned from his travels abroad today (Saturday). He spent more than a year exploring the continent of Africa and has now returned to the family home. Accompanied by a native, Gunja, who he employed on his travels, Master McMorn intends to study the specimens of plants that he has brought back with him, to see if any are suitable to be grown in our climate.’

There was no information about when or even where he had landed. ”You might try Custom and Excise, at Custom House in London,” the librarian advised doubtfully. ”But if you don’t know the date he returned or which port he arrived at, it would be looking for a needle in a haystack.”
Joajackson
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Joajackson »

Philulhu wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:00 am The librarian looked at them for a long moment and scratched his head. ”Let me see…” he said. He walked off to consult some index cards behind the main desk, came back to read the journal, then headed off in the direction of the newspaper archive. He returned 15 minutes with a large ledger-style book, which opened to reveal some yellowing copies of the Inverness Courier. He carefully turned through the pages until he found the newspaper that matched the date of Alex McMorn’s return. A few days later, there was a short article about his return from Africa.

Explorer Returns!
Tuesday, 5 June 1810

Master Alexander McMorn, son of Gordon McMorn of McMorn Manor, Strathmorn, has returned from his travels abroad today (Saturday). He spent more than a year exploring the continent of Africa and has now returned to the family home. Accompanied by a native, Gunja, who he employed on his travels, Master McMorn intends to study the specimens of plants that he has brought back with him, to see if any are suitable to be grown in our climate.’

There was no information about when or even where he had landed. ”You might try Custom and Excise, at Custom House in London,” the librarian advised doubtfully. ”But if you don’t know the date he returned or which port he arrived at, it would be looking for a needle in a haystack.”
Sorry GM but I am confused, the newspaper is dated in a Tuesday, 5 of June, but the text says that he returned from his travels "today(Saturday)", so did he return the Saturday or Tuesday?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Well," says Bonnie, "the article says he arrived on Saturday, presumably the Saturday before it was published. Since it was printed on Tuesday, 5 June 1810, the Saturday before would have been 2 June 1810. But I dinna ken which port he used."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

"Well, I'm not really interested in whether he brought home some African plants. And even if he brought some animals back, that was 120 years ago. And most of the time since then, the big house has been deserted. Surely some out of place big carnivore family, if there was one, would have been seen by the local villagers?"

"So I'm not sure any of that helps us. It might be interesting to Mr Price perhaps."

"Shall we head back and make some plans to scout this big old house out?"
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

"There is the small matter of Dr Mcbride and his interest in the family, which by possible coincidence seemed to happen around the time of the incident. I'm happy either way to go to the manor then the Dr or vice versa."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Regarding the dates, it wasn’t uncommon (from things I’ve read) to see copy written in that way. It reflects that stories were often syndicated, with the local editor adding the day of the week (Saturday, in this case) that the event occurred, as time would have lapsed between the original publication date and the date it appeared in the local press.

For clarity, Alex McMorn arrived on Saturday 2 June and newspaper was published on 5 June. Don’t read too much into the dates, it’s just flavour text :)
Joajackson
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Joajackson »

Snapper wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:37 am Image

"Well, I'm not really interested in whether he brought home some African plants. And even if he brought some animals back, that was 120 years ago. And most of the time since then, the big house has been deserted. Surely some out of place big carnivore family, if there was one, would have been seen by the local villagers?"

"So I'm not sure any of that helps us. It might be interesting to Mr Price perhaps."

"I do disagrree Sir Ascot, ze books talk of animal deaz, somezing has to have hunted zem. I say it was ze eater demon, a creature of ze souz of afrrica, yes. A stealz hunter, like ze panzer could have done so wizout being seen. And his descendants could explain ze continuation for so long, yes?"
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Joajackson wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:20 pm

"I do disagrree Sir Ascot, ze books talk of animal deaz, somezing has to have hunted zem. I say it was ze eater demon, a creature of ze souz of afrrica, yes. A stealz hunter, like ze panzer could have done so wizout being seen. And his descendants could explain ze continuation for so long, yes?"

" I see what you mean Father but if that were the case then there would have been more animal killings in the past 120 years. The villagers would have been on high alert and any animal would have been spotted, and at least one killed and recorded."
Joajackson
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Joajackson »

BoyBlunder78 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:22 pm
Joajackson wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:20 pm

" I see what you mean Father but if that were the case then there would have been more animal killings in the past 120 years. The villagers would have been on high alert and any animal would have been spotted, and at least one killed and recorded."

"But ze was! Ze diarry say so, in the 1810s. I asurre you sir Ascot that will be easy to find morre examples of ze days. And ze relaxation of ze villagerrs is ze easiest to explain. Ze eater demon, ze stealth hunters died. Lets imagine two panzer, zey have descendants, and ze descendants grow and die leaving another descendant. A small panzer, that could survive on smaller animals, ze foxes and ze birds. Now, ze hunter has become big and has the strenght of youth, and now kills ze man of ze village, and after that ze sheep."

After a moment of doubt the father continued.

"In any ozer case, ze must be ze carnivorous animal in ze mansion, dangerous."
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Ascot nods agreeably. "Let's go and talk to Dr McBride first, and see what his interest in all this is. Assuming he is one of the two gentlemen we meet this morning, I am curious to know why he speaks with an English accent. It just seems odd."

"Then, if nothing comes of that, it will be time to unpack the hunting rifles and go explore the big old house. Perhaps scout it from afar to start with."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I suppose McMorn might have used the port at Inverness," says Bonnie, "but it's just as likely he used a port further south and came overland, though there were nae railroads in those days. But, aye, let's go see Dr. McBride next. I'm interested in why he was looking into these papers, and before there were any attacks."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

We’re moving back to Strathmorn - Strathmorn.

If there were any other questions, feel free to ask and we can always retcon that bit.

Return to “The Horror on the Glen”