Back to the Village (everyone)

A brutal murder has taken place in the small Highland village of Strathmorn. The accused claims that the ghosts from a local haunted manor are to blame!

Piqued by the alleged supernatural angle to the case, renowned Psychical Researcher, Harry Price, is seeking a team of responsible persons ‘of leisure and intelligence, intrepid, critical and unbiased’ to investigate the haunting.

Doesn’t that just sound like the sort of thing you’ve been looking for?

Moderator: Philulhu

Joajackson
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 1 year 8 months

Re: Back to the Village (everyone)

Post by Joajackson »

Philulhu wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:52 am
Rubbing his hands together briskly in the manner of sharks everywhere, the man took a seat opposite Father Ó Shaban. Tam Harris,” he said by way of introduction. He nodded towards his pals. ”The fat wan’s Fergus an’ the wan wi’ the jug-ears is Rab.”

He took the dominoes from the box, turned them all face down then swirled them around to mix them up. He dealt seven each and pushed the rest to one side. ”Double six starts,” he said, picking the aforementioned domino from his hand and playing it in the middle of the table…

Inside the Manor House, Constable Leslie’s lip curled disapprovingly as he studied the chinless statue but he said nothing. Upstairs, he examined the bones but it was clear that none had died even remotely recently, so while it was a police matter, the Constable said it was unlikely that he would be making an arrest anytime soon.

”I’ll hae tae report this tae the station,” he said, pulling out his notebook to jot down a few points. “And I’ll need yer names an’ addresses and whit brought ye here. The truth now, I’m no convinced ye’re a huntin’ party an’ lyin’ tae a Police officer is an offence.”

As the writer of this post doesn't know how dominoes are actually played, but the Father would, I presume the character would play the game in an appropiate manner.

As an introduction the Father was friendly and sincere.

"Father Ó Shaban, my gud fellows."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Philulhu »

The game proceeded at a steady pace, with Tam taking the first and Father Ó Shaban taking the second. By the third game, both Fergus and Rab had joined in and the game was preceding at a fair lick, with just the sound of the dominoes and the tankards on the table surface disturbing the peace.

By the fourth game, Tam had a tall pile of pennies in front of him and a big grin on his face. As Fergus went to the bar to get a round of drinks, Tam said, ”Is it true whit I hear, Father, that ye’re here lookin’ intae the death of poor Donald McColl?”

Dominoes is an easy game to play - you’re essentially just matching the numbers until you can play off. There’s an explanation here: https://www.wikihow.com/Play-Dominoes

Constable Leslie clearly wasn’t going to be rushed. ”All in gud time, sir, all in gud time,” he said. “Now this Mr Price, whit’s his interest in all this? Seems a wee bit strange that he didnae make the effort to come hisself, de ye no think?”

A breeze stirred the leaves of the trees as he spoke.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Post by Snapper »

Ascot is starting to look slightly aggrieved. "Constable, we have been more than cooperative. We have kept nothing from you. The worst you can say is we reported this to the wrong person, the good reverend, first. If that is a crime. And it is most certainly not our fault that people's bones and a dead body are lying about this house."

"Now, you know who we are. You know we will be staying at the local public house tonight. We are not leaving."

"However, I have no intention of answering any more of your questions until we have returned to your vehicle. If that is a crime, so be it. If you wish to arrest me, I will not resist. I will simply ask the opportunity to speak with a local solicitor, wherever he may be located."

Ascot stops talking and waits.

OOC:   Are we still on the ground floor inside the manor?  
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Stepping in Dr Douglas attempts to appease the Constable. " I dont find it odd at all. Mr Price has simply sent us because of our impartiality. If he had came himself he would be accused of placing a supernatural slant to all his findings while our little group; myself, a doctor; Miss MacKenzie a dilettante with a grounding in mechanics; Father O'Shaban a man of faith and our good friend Ascot here, a former military man and man of the world, all have a collective knowledge of how the natural world works. So we are here to find any natural and reasonable explanation without going into the world of fantasy. Our findings would indeed keep Mr Price and his organisation....er.....honest for want of a better word, do ya ken?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Aye, just so," says Bonnie.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Constable Leslie frowned, clearly taking issue with Ascot’s tone. ”I will be making a full report tae my Inspector, and he will decide whether any charges will be brought. In the meantime, I suggest ye return tae yer lodgings and remain there, lest we hae any further questions for ye,” he said firmly, closing his notebook with a snap. “Once we’ve determined the truth of yer statements, then we’ll speak further, but we’re done for now.”

He nodded brusquely and pointed down the trail to the village, indicating that they should go first, while the trees around the clearing continued to sway in the breeze.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Watching the trees suspiciously, Ascot heads off down the trail without another word.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Bonnie follows.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Joajackson
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Joajackson »

Philulhu wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:20 pm
The game proceeded at a steady pace, with Tam taking the first and Father Ó Shaban taking the second. By the third game, both Fergus and Rab had joined in and the game was preceding at a fair lick, with just the sound of the dominoes and the tankards on the table surface disturbing the peace.

By the fourth game, Tam had a tall pile of pennies in front of him and a big grin on his face. As Fergus went to the bar to get a round of drinks, Tam said, ”Is it true whit I hear, Father, that ye’re here lookin’ intae the death of poor Donald McColl?”

Dominoes is an easy game to play - you’re essentially just matching the numbers until you can play off. There’s an explanation here: https://www.wikihow.com/Play-Dominoes

Constable Leslie clearly wasn’t going to be rushed. ”All in gud time, sir, all in gud time,” he said. “Now this Mr Price, whit’s his interest in all this? Seems a wee bit strange that he didnae make the effort to come hisself, de ye no think?”

A breeze stirred the leaves of the trees as he spoke.

The Father has his hand in his beard as he played concentrated. The question seeming to take him out of it.

"Eh? Ah, well, it could be interrbreted in such way. My combanions are investigating it so, yes. Myself, well, I am interested more in ze sheep. A sheep died, killed by somezing or someone, have you heard of it? Of ze human, well, murder by ze fellow man has many possible reasons. But ze sheep? Why to kill ze sheep? Predation or satisfaction, nothing else, yes?"
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Dr Douglas shivers involuntary as he watches the trees sway in the breeze as he follows the rest.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Tam, Fergus and Rab stared at Father Ó Shaban blankly as they tried to make sense of the words. Eventually Tam said, ”Satisfaction? Ye’re not Welsh by any chance, Father?”

Constable Leslie headed back to his car. Climbing in, he said, ”I’ll be making ma report to the Inspector and checking oot whit ye’ve told me. If it checks oot, then I’ll return yer weapons. I’ll be back later this afternoon. I suggest ye didnae go anywhere in the meantime.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank ye, Constable," says Bonnie. "We'll be round the village."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Ascot huffs after the constable has left. "The gall of that man!"

"Well, lunch might be called for. Does the public bar run to lunch? And is there a telephone to be had in this village? I wonder if we should put a call through to Price, just to warm him that the authorities may be in touch. Not that we, or he, have committed any serious crime."
Joajackson
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Joajackson »

Philulhu wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:08 pm
Tam, Fergus and Rab stared at Father Ó Shaban blankly as they tried to make sense of the words. Eventually Tam said, ”Satisfaction? Ye’re not Welsh by any chance, Father?”

Constable Leslie headed back to his car. Climbing in, he said, ”I’ll be making ma report to the Inspector and checking oot whit ye’ve told me. If it check oot, then I’ll return yer weapons. I’ll be back later this afternoon. I suggest ye didnae go anywhere in the meantime.”

The Father laughed at the question, as they continued playing dominoes

"No no, I am a copt, from egypt. But is trrue, I hadnt considered zat posipility. Maybe wazever killed ze sheep was zoophilic, I doubt it zough. Satisfaction is about ze sadism, some creatures, as ze cat, have fun in ze hunt. Ze cat can kill ze birds wizout ever eating zem, because of satisfaction. In ze same way we are playing zis game."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Ye think whitever did fer the sheep did fer McColl as weel?”asked Tam, sitting back and eying Father Ó Shaban carefully.

The door to the pub was open and the lights were on inside. Through the window, they could see Father Ó Shaban, who was sat talking to some of the locals.
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

" I think it would be most prudent to inform Mr Price of the cuttent situation. I wouldn't mind picking his brains over what we found in the diary, especially
the phrase, he may have access to more resources than we do. I see the good Father has ingratiated himself in with the locals. Maybe we had better leave him to it, he may find out more from them about what the local mood is about this business?"
Dr Douglas says, motioning towards Father O'Shaban.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Aye, he'll be wanting an update anyway," says Bonnie. "There may be a telephone we can use in the pub, or if not, they'll know where we can find one."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Joajackson
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Joajackson »

Philulhu wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:22 pm
”Ye think whitever did fer the sheep did fer McColl as weel?”asked Tam, sitting back and eying Father Ó Shaban carefully.

The door to the pub was open and the lights were on inside. Through the window, they could see Father Ó Shaban, who was sat talking to some of the locals.

The Father continued with the game seemingly unmoved by the words of Tam.

"I have no evidence forr it, zere is certain rarities in Mcoll's case, but... I wouldnt say anyzing of ze tybe wizout knowing. I would beware still, if ze dead sheep has been a child, zere still would have been a lost life, and ze sheep is more able to fight ze predatorr zat ze child."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”It’s certainly a worryin’ situation. I’ve told ma Mary nae tae let the grandbairns play ootside until it’s all sorted,” said Tam, more serious this time.

OOC:   There is a telephone in the pub that you may use.  
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Ascot sighs, frustrated. "Well, let's see what our strange clerical comrade has got up to. And make a call to Price. And chase up some lunch."

"Miss Mackenzie, you may need to recommend a good Inverness solicitor to us. My exact fears for how this might play out with the local constabulary are coming to life. I am a businessman and I survive on my reputation alone. I cannot risk scandal."

"Is it too early in the day for a small whisky?"

He heads into the pub to find its telephone, rummaging in a pocket for small change.

Return to “The Horror on the Glen”