Strathmorn (everyone)

A brutal murder has taken place in the small Highland village of Strathmorn. The accused claims that the ghosts from a local haunted manor are to blame!

Piqued by the alleged supernatural angle to the case, renowned Psychical Researcher, Harry Price, is seeking a team of responsible persons ‘of leisure and intelligence, intrepid, critical and unbiased’ to investigate the haunting.

Doesn’t that just sound like the sort of thing you’ve been looking for?

Moderator: Philulhu

Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Re: Strathmorn (everyone)

Post by Philulhu »

Willie - Listen 1d100

”Were ye talkin’ aboot me, Alec?!” The big man at the bar put his drink down noisily and walked over. He was about 5’10’’, scrawny and muscular with the tanned skin of someone who worked outdoors for a living. He’d clearly come straight from the fields and smelled of beer and hard work, but no soap.

”I was just saying how ye’d lost yer pal,” said Graham in the slightly loud tone that someone used when they’d been caught out but wanted to change the narrative. ”Oh, aye?!” came the reply ”An’ what business is it of yours?! Or yours, for that matter?!” And he turned and stared aggressively at the investigators.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Post by Snapper »

Ascot holds his open hands up in a placating gesture but does not back away. He looks unconcerned by the outburst and seems fairly used to this sort if behaviour.

"My friends and I are not here to gossip. We know this village has suffered and is in mourning. And we are guests here."

"If you have the time, I would like to speak to you privately for a moment, but only if you agree."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"It wasna my fault this time," says Bonnie. "I didna say a word."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

I think a Persuade roll or similar would be the order of the day.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

1d%pd40%

OOC:   Fail.  

Ascot tries to sound reasonable but culture and accent barriers are not working in his favour.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Would you like to try to push the roll? The consequences would in all likelihood be him getting quite feisty if you failed.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Philulhu wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:48 am
Would you like to try to push the roll? The consequences would in all likelihood be him getting quite feisty if you failed.
Spoiler:
Hell yeah, why not? Stand by...
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Ascot takes another deep breath, looking inward for a second as he marshals his thoughts. Then he looks back at Willie.

"Lad, you don't know me or my colleagues but we just want to ensure whoever committed that vile murder is brought to justice. Or if it was a wild beast, that it is stopped from doing this again."

"If the police have the right man, so be it. But perhaps they haven't. Perhaps that lad locked away did not have the strength for it."

"One way or another, no one should be afraid to ask questions. Not gossip, not make the hurt worse, not run to the newspapers. So that's what I'm doing. I don't care about other laws broken and I don't report to the local police."

"If you want justice for your friend, you have no reason not to talk to us."

Pushed roll:

1d%pd40%

OOC:   Regular success.  
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

The man’s muscle’s tensed but to Ascot’s relief he didn’t get punched in the face. Instead he just leant in close and snarled ”That wee runt McLeod did it. They’ll hae him on the rope afore the year’s out!”

He looked like he might have said more but a sharp, “That’s enough, Willie Stewart!” from Mrs MacPherson behind the bar made him turn around and storm outside. She watched him leave then came over to the table. “Ye’re causing more trouble than ye’re worth,” she said tartly. “I’ll ask ye not tae be upsetting any more of my regulars tonight!” She nodded angrily and returned to the bar to serve a couple more people who had entered.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Ascot sighs in disappointment. "I don't know if we're achieving anything at all here, other than making a nuisance of ourselves."

He tries to rally his thoughts and looks at his colleagues. "What do you all think, is Willie telling the truth? Was he hiding anything?"
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 1 year 8 months

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Dr Douglas sits back cradling his whiskey. " I think your right Ascot, he was going to say something else. Althrough our enquiries so far there seems to be an underlying current that we just cant get lay a finger on. Everyone says that Donald was a fine lad, poacher by all means byt well liked. Yet the Sarjeant painted a different picture, that of a ner'do well, a bully. No one has mentioned anything about his wifes alleged lover, onmy what you yourself overheard. I fear that the poor Mcleod boy may just just be a scapegoat, an easy answer to please the village."
Last edited by BoyBlunder78 on Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I dinna ken if he's telling the truth," says Bonnie. "Should I apologise to Mrs. MacPherson, or will that just make things worse?"

Psychology roll (10% base skill) about Willie:
d%
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Bonnie has no reason to doubt what Willie is saying.
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

BoyBlunder78 wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:58 pm Dr Douglas sits back cradling his whiskey. " I think your right Ascot, he was going to say something else. Althrough our enquiries so far there seems to be an underlying current that we just cant get lay a finger on. Everyone says that Donald was a fine lad, poacher by all means byt well liked. Yet the Sarjeant painted a different picture, that of a ner'do well, a bully. No one has mentioned anything about his wifes alleged lover, onmy what you yourself overheard. I fear that the poor Mcleod boy may just just be a scapegoat, an easy answer to please the village."
after all that might be a bit late but..
Pyscholgy 30.
1d100
]
OOC:   I stand by it all lol  
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Ascot sips on a whisky. "Well, back to our original plan then. Early start tomorrow and back to Inverness for a few hours."

"Really, if you think about it, right now we are fulfilling that Price fellow's instructions, in a sense. We have precisely no evidence of anything that would persuade a court not to hang that boy locked away in Inverness. Certainly no murderous ghosts or other supernatural activity."

"Perhaps I might run into Willie again during daylight, when he's a bit more sober and a bit less angry? Maybe he'll have more to say? I assume he was borrowing a few animals for his supper, along with the dead boy, before whatever happened happened. We'll keep open minds."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Aye," says Bonnie. "Some men get more talkative when they've had a few, but some just get belligerent."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

OOC:   Happy to jump to the next morning is everyone's done? Unless there's anything anyone wants to add?  
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Anyone else at the bar you’d like to talk to?
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Philulhu wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:24 am
Anyone else at the bar you’d like to talk to.
I'm good to go.
Last edited by BoyBlunder78 on Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I think I'm done.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death