Back to the Village (everyone)

A brutal murder has taken place in the small Highland village of Strathmorn. The accused claims that the ghosts from a local haunted manor are to blame!

Piqued by the alleged supernatural angle to the case, renowned Psychical Researcher, Harry Price, is seeking a team of responsible persons ‘of leisure and intelligence, intrepid, critical and unbiased’ to investigate the haunting.

Doesn’t that just sound like the sort of thing you’ve been looking for?

Moderator: Philulhu

Joajackson
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 1 year 8 months

Re: Back to the Village (everyone)

Post by Joajackson »

Philulhu wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:23 am
”It seems so far-fetched as tae be unlikely, Father,” replied Reverend MacCallan. ”Surely any creature brought back from Africa by Alex McMorn must be long gone. Even if it had hae bairns, we’d surely hae noticed more sheep goin’ missin’? They’d hae to eat after all.”

Constable Leslie studied the animal bones for a long while before grudgingly conceding that they must have been there for some time. ”Whit else ha’ ye found?” he asked.
"Yes, ze logic doesn't lie. It seems imbrorbable, almost imbossible. Inshallah, I have difficulty believeing it myself. But ze dead ship don't lie eizer. Zere is some brredatory beast near ze village. If not brought by Sir McMorn, zen by some otherr. Reverend, I shall ask you a favour, and forgive me for it. Next church going, could you advice ze flock to stay safe? A wolf or a bear is hunting some of ze sheep, improbable but a more rreasonable story, and so ze men should try to be alert, and ze children to stay in home. Zere is a terrible risk if not, some brredator walks no far beyond us."

The Father was somewhat insistent, clearly worried for the security of the villagers.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Philulhu »

Reverend MacCallan studied Father Ó Shaban for a long moment. On the one hand, what he was being told sounded like the ravings of a madman; on the other hand, a man had died and a sheep had been killed so such caution wasn’t unwise. ”I’ll be going about the village this afternoon, so I’ll tell the villagers to take care. Does that satisfy ye?” he said.

OOC:   Sorry, yes, not animal bones. I was thinking of the ones in the stables.  

Constable Leslie followed them out to the tree where the carcass of the sheep was still caught up. ”I’ve seen this before in Africa,” he said. ”Ye’ll get some big cats dragging their pray aff the groond, otherwise the hyenas’ll ha’ it. I’ve nivver seen it o’er here though,” He looked up in the tree then turned to look around at the treeline, as if expecting something to make an appearance… …
Joajackson
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Joajackson »

Philulhu wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:03 am
Reverend MacCallan studied Father Ó Shaban for a long moment. On the one hand, what he was being told sounded like the ravings of a madman; on the other hand, a man had died and a sheep had been killed so such caution wasn’t unwise. ”I’ll be going about the village this afternoon, so I’ll tell the villagers to take care. Does that satisfy ye?” he said.

OOC:   Sorry, yes, not animal bones. I was thinking of the ones in the stables.  

Constable Leslie followed them out to the tree where the carcass of the sheep was still caught up. ”I’ve seen this before in Africa,” he said. ”Ye’ll get some big cats dragging their pray aff the groond, otherwise the hyenas’ll ha’ it. I’ve nivver seen it o’er here though,” He looked up in the tree then turned to look around at the treeline, as if expecting something to make an appearance… …
"Yes, I believe it would be so. Now, I expect my companions will take a while to ze return. Do you play dominoes?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Aye, that makes sense," says Bonnie. "The tree was transplanted from Africa. The beastie, or its ancestors, must have been brought from there too. We were thinking of staking out the tree and waiting for it to return for its prey."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Post by Snapper »

Ascot looks unreasonably pleased, given the circumstances. "You've visited Africa? Where did you go? I'm originally a British Rhodesia man, myself."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”I dae,” replied Reverend MacCallen, glancing at the clock. ”But I hae work tae dae. Ye might find an opponent at the hotel. There’s a’ways someone in there when they started serving at noon,” he said.

”All over British East Africa with the King’s Own Rifles,” replied Constable Leslie, looking around the clearing and up the tree. He peered closer then looked at them suspiciously. ”There was nae cat that put the body up there,” he declared. “For one thing, there’s nae claw marks. Ye couldnae get a cat up there wi’oot them.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Well, if not a cat, something else put it there," says Bonnie. "The sheep didna get there by itself."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

"Perhaps we can now show you he pare chap we also found?" Dr Douglas mentioned, nodding back to the house.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Ascot nods in clear approval. "I enlisted in the South African Regiments after war was declared, just an honest private soldier, although my father was outraged I wasn't commissioned immediately. Later I was offered a transfer and commission in the Imperial Camel Corps. They wanted men with African bush skills, not that mine are anything to write home about. All my time was spent in East Africa and later the Middle East."

"You are right about the beast being a mystery. I cannot think of any animal that would drag coffins from one building to another. Yet clearly an animal, or more likely several animals, are involved in what's happened here. A great ape, perhaps? It makes me wonder though ... If there might also be more recent, ah, assistance provided to these animals by a man."

Does Ascot recognise the name of the Kings Own Rifles regiment immediately? Can he make a Know roll to recall more?
Joajackson
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Joajackson »

Philulhu wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:40 am
”I dae,” replied Reverend MacCallen, glancing at the clock. ”But I hae work tae dae. Ye might find an opponent at the hotel. There’s a’ways someone in there when they started serving at noon,” he said.

”All over British East Africa with the King’s Own Rifles,” replied Constable Leslie, looking around the clearing and up the tree. He peered closer then looked at them suspiciously. ”There was nae cat that put the body up there,” he declared. “For one thing, there’s nae claw marks. Ye couldnae get a cat up there wi’oot them.”
"Zanks for ze combany reverrend, anozer day I shall come back to share some more fine conversation over the fine tea, Inshallah. Have a nice day."
With that the Father decided to follow the Reverend recomendación and go to the hotel to play Dominoes.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Returning to the hotel and entering the bar a shade after midday, Father Ó Shaban found three old men already there, being served pints of Heavy, the local beer that would take them most of the afternoon to drink. They nodded a welcome as he entered but took more of an interest when he asked for the box of dominoes from behind the bar.

”Are ye wantin’ a game, Father?” one of them asked. “Penny a spot?” His friends stifled laughter and nudged each other.

”A man climbed the tree and pulled up this dead sheep? It sounds a wee bit far-fetched tae me,” replied Constable Leslie. He looked from the tree to the house. “Lead on,” he said to Doctor Douglas.

You can try a Know or History roll by all means.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"It does seem more like something an animal would do than a man," says Bonnie. "Maybe it is an ape. Its ancestors could have been brought back from Africa, and apes are good at climbing trees."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

" But are there any tracks? I'd imagine a great ape would leave some sort of trace." Dr Douglas reasons, before heading off to the manor. " Let me just warn you Constable there is quite a startling statue as you enter the room. Most certainly left an impression on me."
Joajackson
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Joajackson »

Philulhu wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:15 am
Returning to the hotel and entering the bar a shade after midday, Father Ó Shaban found three old men already there, being served pints of Heavy, the local beer that would take them most of the afternoon to drink. They nodded a welcome as he entered but took more of an interest when he asked for the box of dominoes from behind the bar.

”Are ye wantin’ a game, Father?” one of them asked. “Penny a spot?” His friends stifled laughter and nudged each other.

”A man climbed the tree and pulled up this dead sheep? It sounds a wee bit far-fetched tae me,” replied Constable Leslie. He looked from the tree to the house. “Lead on,” he said to Doctor Douglas.

You can try a Know or History roll by all means.

[Color=BF0000]"Yes, Inshallah. I have quite a bit of frree time, in here, yes? Ze combanions of my trravel have been occubied, and I have time to kill, yes?"[/color]

Said the Father friendly.

Last time we were there, Hamish trew out the head of the weird statue in the mansion. Just mentioning for if someone forgot.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Rubbing his hands together briskly in the manner of sharks everywhere, the man took a seat opposite Father Ó Shaban. Tam Harris,” he said by way of introduction. He nodded towards his pals. ”The fat wan’s Fergus an’ the wan wi’ the jug-ears is Rab.”

He took the dominoes from the box, turned them all face down then swirled them around to mix them up. He dealt seven each and pushed the rest to one side. ”Double six starts,” he said, picking the aforementioned domino from his hand and playing it in the middle of the table…

Inside the Manor House, Constable Leslie’s lip curled disapprovingly as he studied the chinless statue but he said nothing. Upstairs, he examined the bones but it was clear that none had died even remotely recently, so while it was a police matter, the Constable said it was unlikely that he would be making an arrest anytime soon.

”I’ll hae tae report this tae the station,” he said, pulling out his notebook to jot down a few points. “And I’ll need yer names an’ addresses and whit brought ye here. The truth now, I’m no convinced ye’re a huntin’ party an’ lyin’ tae a Police officer is an offence.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm Bonnie MacKenzie," says Bonnie. She gives her address in Inverness. "We were recruited by one Harry Price to investigate the recent murder and get to the truth of it, whatever the truth may be."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Several expressions cross Ascot's face, starting with Is that in fact a crime? and ending with gentlemen do not lie. However, he appears to wrestle his tongue under control.

What he does say is, "Constable, I do not doubt your willingness to protect us, however, can we have this conversation as we walk back to your automobile? I am well used to dealing with wild animals but I normally have a rifle in my hands."

"We have no desire to keep anything from you and will quite happily give you a full explanation of our activities, on my honour."
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

I'm Dr Ruairi Douglas, and gives him his Londin address, "Although im originally frae the muckle toon Langholm. What Miss MacKenzie has said is true, we have been tasked by Mr Price to look into the more unusual aspects of these tragic events. So in a way we are on hunting trip as it were,
only more on the factual side. We were in no way going to conceal anything from you and you and yer brothers in blue would've have been our first port of call were we to find anything substantial. Also i concour with Ascot here, i don't really like the thought of standing out here with whatever may lurk in the shadows without being armed in some way."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Constable Leslie glanced from Ascot to Dr Douglas and back. Ascot, eh? I presume that’s A-S-C-O-T? I’ll need your first names and address as well, sir?” he asked in that patient, unflappable style that the British reserved for taking all the time in the world moments of peril, being under fire, etc. … …

Ok, so lying per se isn’t a specific offence but Ascot could be charged with obstruction of justice or wasting police time.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Ascot produces a sturdy looking business card from his waistcoat. ("Hugo Ascot, Big Game Hunting Expeditions, Africa.") "My London address is in the card, as is my address in Salisbury, Rhodesia."

"Shall we head back to your vehicle now, Constable?"

Return to “The Horror on the Glen”