Page 1 of 1

Back to the Village (everyone)

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:42 pm
by Philulhu
Main Road, Strathmorn, Inverness-shire
Friday 20 March 1931. 10.15am

It took about 30 minutes of tramping through the woods until they found a path that lead back to the village. The church bell tolled quarter past the hours as the strolled back in the direction of the the inn, and the wind blew in the first drops of an impending rain shower.

Where are you heading next?

Re: Back to the Village (everyone)

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:08 pm
by Joajackson
So what we do?

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:53 pm
by Mr. Handy

10:15 PM? Isn't it still morning?

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:14 am
by Philulhu
Oops, my apologies! Yes it’s still morning. I’ve amended my original post!

After you’ve solved the current mystery perhaps you could look into the many temporal anomalies afflicting this place… 😬

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:33 am
by Mr. Handy

"It's a wee bit early for lunch," says Bonnie. "Maybe we should talk to the Reverend, though he'll be none too happy to see us - me in particular - especially if we let him know we went into the manor."

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:26 am
by BoyBlunder78
" That aounds like a good idea, we can ahow him this journal, then i would like to
Visit the library so i can try and corroborate any facts in this accursed tome. We ahould maybe contact Mr Price ans give hum a wee update on the investigation."
DrDouglas chips in. Thinking to himself he must make a quick copy of the main points in the journal and of that damndable phrase, should anything happen to the original.

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:05 am
by Snapper

"I wonder, I'm not saying that's a bad idea. But if we tell the minister there's a collection of remains in that manor, of who knows how many people, he'll want to oversee their Christian burial at least."

"And the constable, and his superiors, will be notified and will investigate to try to find who has been disturbing the dead. Grievously disturbing the dead."

"So it's like lighting the touch paper on a firework, isn't it, eh?"

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:51 pm
by Philulhu
So, where to first?

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:41 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, that's true," says Bonnie, "but does anyone have a better idea?"

Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:49 am
by Snapper

"Only question probably is what to do before we speak to the minister, eh?"

"I do have one thought. Did all those bones come from the McMorn family crypt? Could any be more recent, and if so, where did they come from?"

"Doc, any thoughts on whether any of the bones were, ah, a bit younger than one hundred years old?"

Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:47 am
by Philulhu
Nothing about any of the bones suggested that they were recent.

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:27 am
by Philulhu
While we wait for Dr. D to comment on what he knows about the bones, what are your plans?

Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:28 am
by Mr. Handy

I was thinking we should go to the Reverend, but if someone else thinks we should go somewhere else first, I'm open to that.

Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:10 am
by Snapper
Spoiler:
Happy to head to the Minister. Unleash the Presbyterians!

Only other real option is to go pick on the local doctor again, but he's been very cagey so far. No real reason to expect him to crack now.

Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:09 pm
by Philulhu

They found Reverend McCallan at the kirk, tidying up after a prayer meeting. They had passed a number of his parishioners on their way to the kirk who had stared at them as they passed, in the way that village people were wont to do when strangers were in their midst.

The Reverend looked up as they entered, a slight frown crossing his face as he spotted Bonnie. ”How may I help ye today?” he asked, somewhat guardedly.

Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:58 am
by Mr. Handy

"First, Reverend, I'd like to apologize for what I said when I was here before," says Bonnie. "I shouldna have made insinuations like that."

Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:31 am
by Snapper

Ascot remains silent, confident that Miss Mackenzie will bury herself shortly with some conversational disaster.

Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:18 pm
by Philulhu
”Aye, well, no good will come of such aspersions,” said the Reverend. He nodded to draw a line under that part of the conversation, then said, ”So, how can I help you?”

Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:38 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We did something else that you're not going to like," says Bonnie, "so ye may as well hear it from me, seeing as ye already dislike me, and I dinna want ye to hold it against my friends. It's entirely my fault. We went to the manor, and we found something we think ye should ken aboot."

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:51 am
by Philulhu
”Whit is wrang wit ye’s?” exploded Reverend McCallan, clearly exasperated enough by Bonnie’s confession that his more urbane demeanour slipped away. ”I told ye not to go there lest ye stir up the devil and yet ye’re here again, telling me that ye’ve done just that! Why for pity’s sake, why did ye de that?”

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"We were recruited to do a job," says Bonnie, "to investigate the murder and get to the bottom of it, to find the truth, whatever it may be. We couldn't leave any stone unturned in our investigation."

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:17 am
by Philulhu
”That’s as it may,” snapped Reverend McCallan, ”But if ye bring the devil doon on this village, ye’ll have me tae answer tae!”

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"Let us hope the devil has the sense to stay away," says Bonnie. "We werena the first ones there, as it turns oot. Someone was there before us - recently. We found the footprints."

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:00 pm
by Philulhu
The Reverend studied Bonnie for a moment. ”Whose footprints?” he asked.

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:23 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We canna say for certain," says Bonnie, "but I have my suspicions. I believe Alex McMorn has a living heir, the same man who also recently read the papers ye told us about in the library at Inverness and most likely thus discovered his own ancestry. He would most likely be a descendant of Moira, who married a merchant from Aberdeen. When I asked at the library who else had read the papers, I was told it was Dr. McBride. He got very uncomfortable about the subject of the library, the papers, Moira, and the possibility that she had descendants, though we didna explicity tell him what we had discovered, merely asked innocent questions about his research."

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:47 pm
by Philulhu
”More aspersions?!” said the Reverend. ”Ye’ll get intae serious bother if ye go about talking about people like that.”

He paused then glanced about. ”How, err, reliable might this information be?” he asked.

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:51 am
by Mr. Handy

"I trust the information from the library, both in the papers and from the librarian as to who read them last," says Bonnie. "I also trust my perceptions about Dr. McBride's reaction to merely asking if Moira could have living descendants and if he knew the name of the merchant she had married. I didn't know if she did or not until I saw how he responded. He wouldna have reacted that way if he wasna personally attached, and it also would explain his interest in the papers."

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:13 am
by Philulhu
Reverend MacCallan sighed deeply. He looked up at the the church altar. ”I will pray for all involved,” he said.

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:25 pm
by Snapper

Ascot clears his throat. "On That topic, Reverend, there are ... Other needs for your services in that terrible manor."

Ascot looks at the others to see if he should keep going.

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:37 pm
by Joajackson
Snapper wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:25 pm Image

Ascot clears his throat. "On That topic, Reverend, there are ... Other needs for your services in that terrible manor."

Ascot looks at the others to see if he should keep going.
Father Ó Shaban gave a nod of approvement for the hunter to continue, just declaring something as an starting point.

"Yes, zere is a set of most displeasurable rarities of which ze men of cloz have to take care of in here. It seems zere was or is a desecrator of bodies in ze old Manor."

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:42 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Dr Douglas chips in, " Reverand we also stumbled across a journal which outlines what the Manorrls previous encumbent was upto and hints that possibky people in the village were aware. I'm afraid that something more tamgible than your devil may be at work."

Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye," says Bonnie. "There are some old human remains that could use a proper burial - or reburial. Most of them appear to have been taken from the crypt."

Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:17 am
by Philulhu
Reverend MacCallan looked shocked. ”By all that’s holy…” he whispered, staring at them in disbelief.

He took a deep breath, closed his eyes and crossed himself. Opening his eyes again, he said, ”We must make sure the bodies are interred but first, have you informed the Police?”

Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:57 am
by Snapper

"To be honest, Reverend, we were so shocked, our first thought was to come to you. Forgive us if we've done the wrong thing. We're all probably not thinking too clearly just now. Even during the War, when we could we treated all of the dead with respect."

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:45 am
by Philulhu
”Very well,” replied Reverend MacCallan. ”The first thing tae dae is to call the police. The bodies will need a proper Christian burial but the Police will want tae see them first. We can use my phone in the Presbytery.”

He bowed to the altar and lead the way from the Kirk to the manse next door. As they walked down the garden path, the sound of an engine could be heard. The Reverend stopped and craned his neck, looking towards the main road.

”That sounds like Constable Leslie,” he said, turning and making his way past the others as he returned to the main road. He raised his hand to attract the driver’s attention and they say a police car coast to a halt at the end of the path. Looking out of the window was the same grim-faced Constable who they had earlier seen in the woods.

He leaned over and wound down the window to speak. Reverend MacCallan, gentlemen, miss,” he said. ”Whit seems tae be the trouble?”

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"Good morning, Constable," says Bonnie. "We saw some things when we were at the manor, and we wanted to tell the Reverend first, but he advised us to tell you."

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:51 pm
by Philulhu
Constable Leslie frowned. ”Witholding information is a serious offence,” he said formally.

”Whit was it ye foond?”

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:10 pm
by BoyBlunder78
"Aside from a hoard of old bones and descrated coffins we stumbled upon a corpse. Been dead for quite a few years, judging by the condition of the body. No signs of foul play mind you. We didn't want withhold any thing from you Constable but seeing that the poor man has been dead of seemingly natural causes and no one had found them, we though only to approach the good Reverand Macallan here for some spiritual guidance and hopefully perform some form of lasr rites so the deceaseds soul may find some rest. The police station was our next port of call." Dr Douglas explains sincerely to the Constable.

Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:05 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, just so," says Bonnie. "We're nae withholding information. We're sharing it with ye now."

Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:04 am
by Philulhu
”Ye should have telt me earlier, Miss,” said Constable Leslie. ”When ye were stood by the hoose.”

He switched off his engine and got out of the car. ”I think ye need to show us whit ye’ve foond,” he said. ”But first…” He moved around to the rear of his car and opened the boot. ”Given what ye’ve said, I think it will be safer for everyone if you place your weapons in here for safekeeping, before we go any further.”

Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:59 am
by Joajackson
Philulhu wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:04 am ”Ye should have telt me earlier, Miss,” said Constable Leslie. ”When ye were stood by the hoose.”

He switched off his engine and got out of the car. ”I think ye need to show us whit ye’ve foond,” he said. ”But first…” He moved around to the rear of his car and opened the boot. ”Given what ye’ve said, I think it will be safer for everyone if you place your weapons in here for safekeeping, before we go any further.”
Father Ó Shaban seemed quite worried at the words of the Constable, and he was a really not in the will to go inside no place in this town without protection, so he spoke trying to be as persuasive

"Forrgive me, mister Constable, but I am a very old man, and I am quite tired. I don't believe we all ze present require to present zemselves at ze manor, I reccomend for my and my helper Hamish to stay and rest."

Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:28 pm
by Mr. Handy

Bonnie puts her gun case with its weapons in the boot of the car.

Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:22 am
by BoyBlunder78
Dr Douglas places Bonnies shotgun in the trunk. Keeping the small knife he found in the Manor concealed. Don't like the idea of being in that place unarmed he thinks.

Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 am
by Snapper

Ascot sighs. "Constable, I will of course do as you ask. However, I am a professional big game hunter, and I'm telling you there are quite recent tracks of some big wild animal up at that manor. Something whose ancestors were brought here from Africa by the last owner of that manor a century ago. Some animal who has killed a sheep and brought it back to the manor to eat. We saw the sheep, freshly dead in a tree."

"And Dr Douglas here has seen the, ah, bones in the manor, gnawed, and can agree an animal did that."

"Now, if you disarm us and we go back to the manor, you better be ready to defend us all because you're going to be responsible for us."

"Finally, this revolver was issued to me when I was commissioned during the War. Dr Douglas is of course a gentleman. Father Shaban is a member of the clergy. And Miss Mackenzie is a gentle-woman and the daughter of a gentleman. I would ask that you remember with whom you are dealing."

With that, Ascot hands over his ironmongery.

OOC:   Any chance Ascot can make a Persuade roll?  

Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:16 pm
by Philulhu
The party could see Ascot’s words had touched Constable Leslie… …

Persuade roll, please.

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:27 am
by Snapper

1d%pd40%

OOC:   Hard success! If it will help, Ascot can spend 3 Luck and make it an extreme success.  

Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:29 am
by Philulhu
No, it’s fine. Save your luck for when you might need it…

Ascot couldn’t tell what the look was that passed over Constable Leslie’s face, but the policemen said, ”Nae one will interfere with them here.” He leaned into the boot himself and unlocked a wooden box from which he withdrew a service revolver of his own. He closed and locked the boot and turned to face the group.

”If ye wish tae rest, Father, then please remain at the hotel until we return. I may ha’ some questions for ye later,” he said. ”As fae the rest of ye’s let’s go.”

Leslie lead them back through the trees and up to the Manor House. He stopped at the tree line and looked over to the others. ”Right, lead on. Ye can show me whit ye’ve foond.”

Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:27 am
by Joajackson
Philulhu wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:29 am
No, it’s fine. Save your luck for when you might need it…

Ascot couldn’t tell what the look was that passed over Constable Leslie’s face, but the policemen said, ”Nae one will interfere with them here.” He leaned into the boot himself and unlocked a wooden box from which he withdrew a service revolver of his own. He closed and locked the boot and turned to face the group.

”If ye wish tae rest, Father, then please remain at the hotel until we return. I may ha’ some questions for ye later,” he said. ”As fae the rest of ye’s let’s go.”

Leslie lead them back through the trees and up to the Manor House. He stopped at the tree line and looked over to the others. ”Right, lead on. Ye can show me whit ye’ve foond.”
Father Ó Shaban showed some gratefullness to the Constable while stopping Hamish from leaving strangely.
Presuming the Reverend wasn't going to go with the [/b]Constable[/b], he directed himself to talk to him.

"Will you be too occupied forr some conversation while ze ozers investigate ze bodies? I would appreciate if you could tell me of ze manor's history. I have heard some resumes already, but I am sure zere is quite a longer story to tell, given ze time. We can do it over some nice tea, I will pay for it."

The Father was patient while trying to Persuade the priest.

Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:42 am
by Mr. Handy

"Let's go to the crypt first," says Bonnie. "That's where the bodies used to be."

Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:29 am
by Snapper

Ascot gives the others an 'I tried' shrug.

Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:14 am
by BoyBlunder78
Dr Douglas places his hand on Ascots shoulder, giving him look as if saying 'Good effort". " I agree, lets show him the desecration and the footprints before heading upstairs to where that devil rests."

Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:41 am
by Philulhu
”I wouldnae here of ye paying for tea,” said Reverend MacCallan. ”Come wi’ me and I’ll have my housekeeper put the kettle on.”

He lead the way back to his home and invited Father Ó Shaban to take a seat in his study, banking the coals in the fire to bring a bit more warmth to the room. ”Yer pals seem to ha done some digging intae the history of the manor already,” he said. ”But I’ll gi’ ye a potted history of the place. At the time in question, the manor was owned by Gordon MacMorn, a kind, benevolent, Christian man. He and his son, Alexander, regularly attended the kirk and all was well. As he grew up, however, young Alex got the wanderlust and took himself off tae Africa, returning months later a changed man. He nivvor once stepped foot in the kirk once he returned and he kept strange company; a native fellow and a sailor that he’d met on his travels. It wasn’t long afore Gordon McMorn was taken ill and died and frae that moment on, Alex became the Lord of the manor, living in that big old hoose wi’ his strange companions.”

”It didnae take long frae the rumours started and there were strange comings and goings at the hoose. Then, one day, Alex and his companions vanished and were seen nae mair. Not frae that day til this. Naturally, everyone aroondaboots thinks that the place is haunted so everyone hae given it a wide berth. We’ll, until ye and yer pals, that is…”

Constable Leslie took the lead up to the house but once there, bid the others show him what they had found. He looked on at the crypt disapprovingly and appeared thoroughly vexed at the state of the coffins in the house itself.

Eventually he said, ”Is this how ye found it, or have ye moved anything?”

Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:20 am
by BoyBlunder78
" Constable as you can see by the amount of dust lying about this is exactly how we found them and they have been this way fer quite some time".

Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:34 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, I touched nothing," says Bonnie.

Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:04 pm
by Joajackson
Philulhu wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:41 am
”I wouldnae here of ye paying for tea,” said Reverend MacCallan. ”Come wi’ me and I’ll have my housekeeper put the kettle on.”

He lead the way back to his home and invited Father Ó Shaban to take a seat in his study, banking the coals in the fire to bring a bit more warmth to the room. ”Yer pals seem to ha done some digging intae the history of the manor already,” he said. ”But I’ll gi’ ye a potted history of the place. At the time in question, the manor was owned by Gordon MacMorn, a kind, benevolent, Christian man. He and his son, Alexander, regularly attended the kirk and all was well. As he grew up, however, young Alex got the wanderlust and took himself off tae Africa, returning months later a changed man. He nivvor once stepped foot in the kirk once he returned and he kept strange company; a native fellow and a sailor that he’d met on his travels. It wasn’t long afore Gordon McMorn was taken ill and died and frae that moment on, Alex became the Lord of the manor, living in that big old hoose wi’ his strange companions.”

”It didnae take long frae the rumours started and there were strange comings and goings at the hoose. Then, one day, Alex and his companions vanished and were seen nae mair. Not frae that day til this. Naturally, everyone aroondaboots thinks that the place is haunted so everyone hae given it a wide berth. We’ll, until ye and yer pals, that is…”

Constable Leslie took the lead up to the house but once there, bid the others show him what they had found. He looked on at the crypt disapprovingly and appeared thoroughly vexed at the state of the coffins in the house itself.

Eventually he said, ”Is this how ye found it, or have ye moved anything?”
Spoiler:
The Father heard with quiet attention and interest, answering as the Reverend

"But we werre not ze first one zere. Ze man zat was accused of murrder here said to have been zere zat night. And... If our grub is not incorrect, Alexander brought a strange predator frrom his travels, and it has somehow survived until now... Two sheep in the recent days, maybe more soon or before."

Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:48 pm
by Snapper

"We are most definitely not in the habit of disturbing people's final rest."

"By the way, there's a dead sheep in a tree nearby too."

Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:23 am
by Philulhu
”It seems so far-fetched as tae be unlikely, Father,” replied Reverend MacCallan. ”Surely any creature brought back from Africa by Alex McMorn must be long gone. Even if it had hae bairns, we’d surely hae noticed more sheep goin’ missin’? They’d hae to eat after all.”

Constable Leslie studied the animal bones for a long while before grudgingly conceding that they must have been there for some time. ”Whit else ha’ ye found?” he asked.

Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:29 am
by Snapper
OOC:   Animal bones? Weren't they human?  

Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:35 am
by Snapper

"Come and see the sheep in the tree. Something has stored it there for later."

Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:55 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, the sheep, if it's still there," says Bonnie. "If the beastie didna come back for it."

Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:04 am
by Joajackson
Philulhu wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:23 am
”It seems so far-fetched as tae be unlikely, Father,” replied Reverend MacCallan. ”Surely any creature brought back from Africa by Alex McMorn must be long gone. Even if it had hae bairns, we’d surely hae noticed more sheep goin’ missin’? They’d hae to eat after all.”

Constable Leslie studied the animal bones for a long while before grudgingly conceding that they must have been there for some time. ”Whit else ha’ ye found?” he asked.
"Yes, ze logic doesn't lie. It seems imbrorbable, almost imbossible. Inshallah, I have difficulty believeing it myself. But ze dead ship don't lie eizer. Zere is some brredatory beast near ze village. If not brought by Sir McMorn, zen by some otherr. Reverend, I shall ask you a favour, and forgive me for it. Next church going, could you advice ze flock to stay safe? A wolf or a bear is hunting some of ze sheep, improbable but a more rreasonable story, and so ze men should try to be alert, and ze children to stay in home. Zere is a terrible risk if not, some brredator walks no far beyond us."

The Father was somewhat insistent, clearly worried for the security of the villagers.

Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:03 am
by Philulhu
Reverend MacCallan studied Father Ó Shaban for a long moment. On the one hand, what he was being told sounded like the ravings of a madman; on the other hand, a man had died and a sheep had been killed so such caution wasn’t unwise. ”I’ll be going about the village this afternoon, so I’ll tell the villagers to take care. Does that satisfy ye?” he said.

OOC:   Sorry, yes, not animal bones. I was thinking of the ones in the stables.  

Constable Leslie followed them out to the tree where the carcass of the sheep was still caught up. ”I’ve seen this before in Africa,” he said. ”Ye’ll get some big cats dragging their pray aff the groond, otherwise the hyenas’ll ha’ it. I’ve nivver seen it o’er here though,” He looked up in the tree then turned to look around at the treeline, as if expecting something to make an appearance… …

Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:10 am
by Joajackson
Philulhu wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:03 am
Reverend MacCallan studied Father Ó Shaban for a long moment. On the one hand, what he was being told sounded like the ravings of a madman; on the other hand, a man had died and a sheep had been killed so such caution wasn’t unwise. ”I’ll be going about the village this afternoon, so I’ll tell the villagers to take care. Does that satisfy ye?” he said.

OOC:   Sorry, yes, not animal bones. I was thinking of the ones in the stables.  

Constable Leslie followed them out to the tree where the carcass of the sheep was still caught up. ”I’ve seen this before in Africa,” he said. ”Ye’ll get some big cats dragging their pray aff the groond, otherwise the hyenas’ll ha’ it. I’ve nivver seen it o’er here though,” He looked up in the tree then turned to look around at the treeline, as if expecting something to make an appearance… …
"Yes, I believe it would be so. Now, I expect my companions will take a while to ze return. Do you play dominoes?"

Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:27 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, that makes sense," says Bonnie. "The tree was transplanted from Africa. The beastie, or its ancestors, must have been brought from there too. We were thinking of staking out the tree and waiting for it to return for its prey."

Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:42 am
by Snapper

Ascot looks unreasonably pleased, given the circumstances. "You've visited Africa? Where did you go? I'm originally a British Rhodesia man, myself."

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:40 am
by Philulhu
”I dae,” replied Reverend MacCallen, glancing at the clock. ”But I hae work tae dae. Ye might find an opponent at the hotel. There’s a’ways someone in there when they started serving at noon,” he said.

”All over British East Africa with the King’s Own Rifles,” replied Constable Leslie, looking around the clearing and up the tree. He peered closer then looked at them suspiciously. ”There was nae cat that put the body up there,” he declared. “For one thing, there’s nae claw marks. Ye couldnae get a cat up there wi’oot them.”

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:19 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, if not a cat, something else put it there," says Bonnie. "The sheep didna get there by itself."

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:08 am
by BoyBlunder78
"Perhaps we can now show you he pare chap we also found?" Dr Douglas mentioned, nodding back to the house.

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:17 am
by Snapper

Ascot nods in clear approval. "I enlisted in the South African Regiments after war was declared, just an honest private soldier, although my father was outraged I wasn't commissioned immediately. Later I was offered a transfer and commission in the Imperial Camel Corps. They wanted men with African bush skills, not that mine are anything to write home about. All my time was spent in East Africa and later the Middle East."

"You are right about the beast being a mystery. I cannot think of any animal that would drag coffins from one building to another. Yet clearly an animal, or more likely several animals, are involved in what's happened here. A great ape, perhaps? It makes me wonder though ... If there might also be more recent, ah, assistance provided to these animals by a man."

Does Ascot recognise the name of the Kings Own Rifles regiment immediately? Can he make a Know roll to recall more?

Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:52 am
by Joajackson
Philulhu wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:40 am
”I dae,” replied Reverend MacCallen, glancing at the clock. ”But I hae work tae dae. Ye might find an opponent at the hotel. There’s a’ways someone in there when they started serving at noon,” he said.

”All over British East Africa with the King’s Own Rifles,” replied Constable Leslie, looking around the clearing and up the tree. He peered closer then looked at them suspiciously. ”There was nae cat that put the body up there,” he declared. “For one thing, there’s nae claw marks. Ye couldnae get a cat up there wi’oot them.”
"Zanks for ze combany reverrend, anozer day I shall come back to share some more fine conversation over the fine tea, Inshallah. Have a nice day."
With that the Father decided to follow the Reverend recomendación and go to the hotel to play Dominoes.

Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:15 am
by Philulhu
Returning to the hotel and entering the bar a shade after midday, Father Ó Shaban found three old men already there, being served pints of Heavy, the local beer that would take them most of the afternoon to drink. They nodded a welcome as he entered but took more of an interest when he asked for the box of dominoes from behind the bar.

”Are ye wantin’ a game, Father?” one of them asked. “Penny a spot?” His friends stifled laughter and nudged each other.

”A man climbed the tree and pulled up this dead sheep? It sounds a wee bit far-fetched tae me,” replied Constable Leslie. He looked from the tree to the house. “Lead on,” he said to Doctor Douglas.

You can try a Know or History roll by all means.

Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:50 am
by Mr. Handy

"It does seem more like something an animal would do than a man," says Bonnie. "Maybe it is an ape. Its ancestors could have been brought back from Africa, and apes are good at climbing trees."

Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:05 am
by BoyBlunder78
" But are there any tracks? I'd imagine a great ape would leave some sort of trace." Dr Douglas reasons, before heading off to the manor. " Let me just warn you Constable there is quite a startling statue as you enter the room. Most certainly left an impression on me."

Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:15 am
by Joajackson
Philulhu wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:15 am
Returning to the hotel and entering the bar a shade after midday, Father Ó Shaban found three old men already there, being served pints of Heavy, the local beer that would take them most of the afternoon to drink. They nodded a welcome as he entered but took more of an interest when he asked for the box of dominoes from behind the bar.

”Are ye wantin’ a game, Father?” one of them asked. “Penny a spot?” His friends stifled laughter and nudged each other.

”A man climbed the tree and pulled up this dead sheep? It sounds a wee bit far-fetched tae me,” replied Constable Leslie. He looked from the tree to the house. “Lead on,” he said to Doctor Douglas.

You can try a Know or History roll by all means.

[Color=BF0000]"Yes, Inshallah. I have quite a bit of frree time, in here, yes? Ze combanions of my trravel have been occubied, and I have time to kill, yes?"[/color]

Said the Father friendly.

Last time we were there, Hamish trew out the head of the weird statue in the mansion. Just mentioning for if someone forgot.

Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:52 am
by Philulhu
Rubbing his hands together briskly in the manner of sharks everywhere, the man took a seat opposite Father Ó Shaban. Tam Harris,” he said by way of introduction. He nodded towards his pals. ”The fat wan’s Fergus an’ the wan wi’ the jug-ears is Rab.”

He took the dominoes from the box, turned them all face down then swirled them around to mix them up. He dealt seven each and pushed the rest to one side. ”Double six starts,” he said, picking the aforementioned domino from his hand and playing it in the middle of the table…

Inside the Manor House, Constable Leslie’s lip curled disapprovingly as he studied the chinless statue but he said nothing. Upstairs, he examined the bones but it was clear that none had died even remotely recently, so while it was a police matter, the Constable said it was unlikely that he would be making an arrest anytime soon.

”I’ll hae tae report this tae the station,” he said, pulling out his notebook to jot down a few points. “And I’ll need yer names an’ addresses and whit brought ye here. The truth now, I’m no convinced ye’re a huntin’ party an’ lyin’ tae a Police officer is an offence.”

Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:30 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I'm Bonnie MacKenzie," says Bonnie. She gives her address in Inverness. "We were recruited by one Harry Price to investigate the recent murder and get to the truth of it, whatever the truth may be."

Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:27 am
by Snapper

Several expressions cross Ascot's face, starting with Is that in fact a crime? and ending with gentlemen do not lie. However, he appears to wrestle his tongue under control.

What he does say is, "Constable, I do not doubt your willingness to protect us, however, can we have this conversation as we walk back to your automobile? I am well used to dealing with wild animals but I normally have a rifle in my hands."

"We have no desire to keep anything from you and will quite happily give you a full explanation of our activities, on my honour."

Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:46 am
by BoyBlunder78
I'm Dr Ruairi Douglas, and gives him his Londin address, "Although im originally frae the muckle toon Langholm. What Miss MacKenzie has said is true, we have been tasked by Mr Price to look into the more unusual aspects of these tragic events. So in a way we are on hunting trip as it were,
only more on the factual side. We were in no way going to conceal anything from you and you and yer brothers in blue would've have been our first port of call were we to find anything substantial. Also i concour with Ascot here, i don't really like the thought of standing out here with whatever may lurk in the shadows without being armed in some way."

Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:23 am
by Philulhu
Constable Leslie glanced from Ascot to Dr Douglas and back. Ascot, eh? I presume that’s A-S-C-O-T? I’ll need your first names and address as well, sir?” he asked in that patient, unflappable style that the British reserved for taking all the time in the world moments of peril, being under fire, etc. … …

Ok, so lying per se isn’t a specific offence but Ascot could be charged with obstruction of justice or wasting police time.

Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:28 am
by Snapper

Ascot produces a sturdy looking business card from his waistcoat. ("Hugo Ascot, Big Game Hunting Expeditions, Africa.") "My London address is in the card, as is my address in Salisbury, Rhodesia."

"Shall we head back to your vehicle now, Constable?"

Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:21 pm
by Joajackson
Philulhu wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:52 am
Rubbing his hands together briskly in the manner of sharks everywhere, the man took a seat opposite Father Ó Shaban. Tam Harris,” he said by way of introduction. He nodded towards his pals. ”The fat wan’s Fergus an’ the wan wi’ the jug-ears is Rab.”

He took the dominoes from the box, turned them all face down then swirled them around to mix them up. He dealt seven each and pushed the rest to one side. ”Double six starts,” he said, picking the aforementioned domino from his hand and playing it in the middle of the table…

Inside the Manor House, Constable Leslie’s lip curled disapprovingly as he studied the chinless statue but he said nothing. Upstairs, he examined the bones but it was clear that none had died even remotely recently, so while it was a police matter, the Constable said it was unlikely that he would be making an arrest anytime soon.

”I’ll hae tae report this tae the station,” he said, pulling out his notebook to jot down a few points. “And I’ll need yer names an’ addresses and whit brought ye here. The truth now, I’m no convinced ye’re a huntin’ party an’ lyin’ tae a Police officer is an offence.”

As the writer of this post doesn't know how dominoes are actually played, but the Father would, I presume the character would play the game in an appropiate manner.

As an introduction the Father was friendly and sincere.

"Father Ó Shaban, my gud fellows."

Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:20 pm
by Philulhu
The game proceeded at a steady pace, with Tam taking the first and Father Ó Shaban taking the second. By the third game, both Fergus and Rab had joined in and the game was preceding at a fair lick, with just the sound of the dominoes and the tankards on the table surface disturbing the peace.

By the fourth game, Tam had a tall pile of pennies in front of him and a big grin on his face. As Fergus went to the bar to get a round of drinks, Tam said, ”Is it true whit I hear, Father, that ye’re here lookin’ intae the death of poor Donald McColl?”

Dominoes is an easy game to play - you’re essentially just matching the numbers until you can play off. There’s an explanation here: https://www.wikihow.com/Play-Dominoes

Constable Leslie clearly wasn’t going to be rushed. ”All in gud time, sir, all in gud time,” he said. “Now this Mr Price, whit’s his interest in all this? Seems a wee bit strange that he didnae make the effort to come hisself, de ye no think?”

A breeze stirred the leaves of the trees as he spoke.

Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:06 am
by Snapper

Ascot is starting to look slightly aggrieved. "Constable, we have been more than cooperative. We have kept nothing from you. The worst you can say is we reported this to the wrong person, the good reverend, first. If that is a crime. And it is most certainly not our fault that people's bones and a dead body are lying about this house."

"Now, you know who we are. You know we will be staying at the local public house tonight. We are not leaving."

"However, I have no intention of answering any more of your questions until we have returned to your vehicle. If that is a crime, so be it. If you wish to arrest me, I will not resist. I will simply ask the opportunity to speak with a local solicitor, wherever he may be located."

Ascot stops talking and waits.

OOC:   Are we still on the ground floor inside the manor?  

Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:16 am
by BoyBlunder78
Stepping in Dr Douglas attempts to appease the Constable. " I dont find it odd at all. Mr Price has simply sent us because of our impartiality. If he had came himself he would be accused of placing a supernatural slant to all his findings while our little group; myself, a doctor; Miss MacKenzie a dilettante with a grounding in mechanics; Father O'Shaban a man of faith and our good friend Ascot here, a former military man and man of the world, all have a collective knowledge of how the natural world works. So we are here to find any natural and reasonable explanation without going into the world of fantasy. Our findings would indeed keep Mr Price and his organisation....er.....honest for want of a better word, do ya ken?"

Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:26 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, just so," says Bonnie.

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:36 am
by Philulhu
Constable Leslie frowned, clearly taking issue with Ascot’s tone. ”I will be making a full report tae my Inspector, and he will decide whether any charges will be brought. In the meantime, I suggest ye return tae yer lodgings and remain there, lest we hae any further questions for ye,” he said firmly, closing his notebook with a snap. “Once we’ve determined the truth of yer statements, then we’ll speak further, but we’re done for now.”

He nodded brusquely and pointed down the trail to the village, indicating that they should go first, while the trees around the clearing continued to sway in the breeze.

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:37 am
by Snapper

Watching the trees suspiciously, Ascot heads off down the trail without another word.

Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:13 am
by Mr. Handy

Bonnie follows.

Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:23 pm
by Joajackson
Philulhu wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:20 pm
The game proceeded at a steady pace, with Tam taking the first and Father Ó Shaban taking the second. By the third game, both Fergus and Rab had joined in and the game was preceding at a fair lick, with just the sound of the dominoes and the tankards on the table surface disturbing the peace.

By the fourth game, Tam had a tall pile of pennies in front of him and a big grin on his face. As Fergus went to the bar to get a round of drinks, Tam said, ”Is it true whit I hear, Father, that ye’re here lookin’ intae the death of poor Donald McColl?”

Dominoes is an easy game to play - you’re essentially just matching the numbers until you can play off. There’s an explanation here: https://www.wikihow.com/Play-Dominoes

Constable Leslie clearly wasn’t going to be rushed. ”All in gud time, sir, all in gud time,” he said. “Now this Mr Price, whit’s his interest in all this? Seems a wee bit strange that he didnae make the effort to come hisself, de ye no think?”

A breeze stirred the leaves of the trees as he spoke.

The Father has his hand in his beard as he played concentrated. The question seeming to take him out of it.

"Eh? Ah, well, it could be interrbreted in such way. My combanions are investigating it so, yes. Myself, well, I am interested more in ze sheep. A sheep died, killed by somezing or someone, have you heard of it? Of ze human, well, murder by ze fellow man has many possible reasons. But ze sheep? Why to kill ze sheep? Predation or satisfaction, nothing else, yes?"

Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 4:47 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Dr Douglas shivers involuntary as he watches the trees sway in the breeze as he follows the rest.

Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:08 pm
by Philulhu
Tam, Fergus and Rab stared at Father Ó Shaban blankly as they tried to make sense of the words. Eventually Tam said, ”Satisfaction? Ye’re not Welsh by any chance, Father?”

Constable Leslie headed back to his car. Climbing in, he said, ”I’ll be making ma report to the Inspector and checking oot whit ye’ve told me. If it checks oot, then I’ll return yer weapons. I’ll be back later this afternoon. I suggest ye didnae go anywhere in the meantime.”

Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:47 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Thank ye, Constable," says Bonnie. "We'll be round the village."

Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:27 am
by Snapper

Ascot huffs after the constable has left. "The gall of that man!"

"Well, lunch might be called for. Does the public bar run to lunch? And is there a telephone to be had in this village? I wonder if we should put a call through to Price, just to warm him that the authorities may be in touch. Not that we, or he, have committed any serious crime."

Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:52 pm
by Joajackson
Philulhu wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:08 pm
Tam, Fergus and Rab stared at Father Ó Shaban blankly as they tried to make sense of the words. Eventually Tam said, ”Satisfaction? Ye’re not Welsh by any chance, Father?”

Constable Leslie headed back to his car. Climbing in, he said, ”I’ll be making ma report to the Inspector and checking oot whit ye’ve told me. If it check oot, then I’ll return yer weapons. I’ll be back later this afternoon. I suggest ye didnae go anywhere in the meantime.”

The Father laughed at the question, as they continued playing dominoes

"No no, I am a copt, from egypt. But is trrue, I hadnt considered zat posipility. Maybe wazever killed ze sheep was zoophilic, I doubt it zough. Satisfaction is about ze sadism, some creatures, as ze cat, have fun in ze hunt. Ze cat can kill ze birds wizout ever eating zem, because of satisfaction. In ze same way we are playing zis game."

Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:22 pm
by Philulhu
”Ye think whitever did fer the sheep did fer McColl as weel?”asked Tam, sitting back and eying Father Ó Shaban carefully.

The door to the pub was open and the lights were on inside. Through the window, they could see Father Ó Shaban, who was sat talking to some of the locals.

Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:31 pm
by BoyBlunder78
" I think it would be most prudent to inform Mr Price of the cuttent situation. I wouldn't mind picking his brains over what we found in the diary, especially
the phrase, he may have access to more resources than we do. I see the good Father has ingratiated himself in with the locals. Maybe we had better leave him to it, he may find out more from them about what the local mood is about this business?"
Dr Douglas says, motioning towards Father O'Shaban.

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, he'll be wanting an update anyway," says Bonnie. "There may be a telephone we can use in the pub, or if not, they'll know where we can find one."

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:18 pm
by Joajackson
Philulhu wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:22 pm
”Ye think whitever did fer the sheep did fer McColl as weel?”asked Tam, sitting back and eying Father Ó Shaban carefully.

The door to the pub was open and the lights were on inside. Through the window, they could see Father Ó Shaban, who was sat talking to some of the locals.

The Father continued with the game seemingly unmoved by the words of Tam.

"I have no evidence forr it, zere is certain rarities in Mcoll's case, but... I wouldnt say anyzing of ze tybe wizout knowing. I would beware still, if ze dead sheep has been a child, zere still would have been a lost life, and ze sheep is more able to fight ze predatorr zat ze child."

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:48 pm
by Philulhu
”It’s certainly a worryin’ situation. I’ve told ma Mary nae tae let the grandbairns play ootside until it’s all sorted,” said Tam, more serious this time.

OOC:   There is a telephone in the pub that you may use.  

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:35 am
by Snapper

Ascot sighs, frustrated. "Well, let's see what our strange clerical comrade has got up to. And make a call to Price. And chase up some lunch."

"Miss Mackenzie, you may need to recommend a good Inverness solicitor to us. My exact fears for how this might play out with the local constabulary are coming to life. I am a businessman and I survive on my reputation alone. I cannot risk scandal."

"Is it too early in the day for a small whisky?"

He heads into the pub to find its telephone, rummaging in a pocket for small change.

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:56 am
by Joajackson
Philulhu wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:48 pm
”It’s certainly a worryin’ situation. I’ve told ma Mary nae tae let the grandbairns play ootside until it’s all sorted,” said Tam, more serious this time.

OOC:   There is a telephone in the pub that you may use.  

The Father acted seeming somewhat unnafected by the comment of Tam, but after putting another piece on the table he spoke, putting the intensity of an old priest.

"Yes, zat will be ze best. Ze Lord rewards ze careful."

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:06 am
by Mr. Handy

"I can find a good solicitor," says Bonnie, following him inside.

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:19 pm
by BoyBlunder78
"Never too early fae a whiskey, single malt? I may join you. Miss MacKenzie would you like a drink?" Dr Douglas heads towards the bar, "Ascot let me know when you get through to Price."

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:00 am
by Philulhu
The games of dominoes continued in silence until Father Ó Shaban heard the door open and saw his fellow investigators enter the bar. Tam, Fergus and Rab glanced across then turned their attention back to the game.

Mrs MacPherson emerged from the back room to serve their drinks, a look of mild disapproval creasing her brow at the taking of spirits at such an early hour, and by a woman no less!

After determining the number he needed to speak to, the operator connected the call. After a brief chat with his secretary, Ascot was put through.

Price here, Mr Ascot,” came the voice at the other end of the line. “How goes your investigation?”

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:56 am
by Mr. Handy

"I thank you for the offer, Dr. Douglas," says Bonnie, mindful of Mrs. MacPherson's disapproval, "but I shall have to take a rain check. Normally I would, as I appreciate fine whiskey and I'm nae driving anywhere, but it is rather early for me to drink. Perhaps this evening?"

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:35 am
by BoyBlunder78
Dr Douglas smiles and nods his head in acknowledgement at Miss MacKenzie, "Perhaps a pot of tea then? Or Coffee?" He turns to face the stony face of Mrs MacPherson with a big smile on his face; " Two of your finest whiskeys, no ice and a small jug of water, and whatever the young lady requires my goid lady, we've had quite the day of it so far."

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:53 am
by Snapper

Ascot tries to organise his thoughts as he slots pennies into the telephone. "Well, the first thing you should know is the police may contact you to confirm the nature of our investigation. We have been quite open with the local constable but he doesn't entirely believe us."

"We believe the last local Lord of the manor, an evil man from all accounts, brought some wild animals back from Africa, over a century ago. We don't know what but they have apparently survived and bred. And stayed hidden, more's the mystery."

"We searched the long abandoned manor in question and found lots of gnawed-on human bones. Apparent the buried members of the laird's family tree. The tooth marks are definitely animal, the doctor and I both agree."

"We also found a dead sheep only just freshly killed, which has been stashed in a tree, a trait of certain wild animals in Africa."

"We believe these wild animals are responsible for the death we are here to investigate. Unfortunately, the local constable has taken unkindly to our exploring the old manor, finding human remains, and generally causing him a headache. We may yet be charged with some criminal offence."

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:10 am
by Philulhu
Mrs MacPherson poured the two whiskys and placed a jug of water upon the bar. “I’ll hae a pot of tea brought out tae ye,” she said.

Price listened carefully to Ascot’s report. ”Difficulties with the local police is nothing new and I’ll obviously vouch for you should they contact me,” he replied. ”And I should stress that your investigation must be independent, without interference or influence from me but I can sense that you are unsure how to proceed so I will say this.”

“Your hypothesis seems sound but how will you obtain hard evidence that the creature exists and is responsible for the death of McColl? What can you find that will put the matter beyond all reasonable doubt?”

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:54 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank ye kindly, tea would be lovely," says Bonnie.

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:53 am
by BoyBlunder78
Walking over to Ascot Dr Douglas asks quietly if he's managed to get through to Price?

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:03 am
by Snapper

Ascot nods agreement to Dr Douglas with a grin. He turns his attention back to the telephone call. "Well, you know my background. My natural instinct is to try to kill or even capture one of these wild animals. That would be hard for the local constabulary to ignore."

"Unfortunately, the constable who is unimpressed with us has also confiscated our weapons for the moment. Whatever these animals are, I do believe they are dangerous to an unarmed man."

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:25 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Hearing this Dr Douglas nods in agreement, the knly way to prove the lads innocence and spare the community is find this creature, dead or alive.
" When you've finished, i would like a word with him."

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:16 pm
by Joajackson
Philulhu wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:00 am The games of dominoes continued in silence until Father Ó Shaban heard the door open and saw his fellow investigators enter the bar. Tam, Fergus and Rab glanced across then turned their attention back to the game.

Mrs MacPherson emerged from the back room to serve their drinks, a look of mild disapproval creasing her brow at the taking of spirits at such an early hour, and by a woman no less!

After determining the number he needed to speak to, the operator connected the call. After a brief chat with his secretary, Ascot was put through.

Price here, Mr Ascot,” came the voice at the other end of the line. “How goes your investigation?”
The Father finished with a last move on the game and declared his appreciation to the players before finally leaving them to rejoin with his group. As he sees them having a telephone call, he awaits in silence after joining them.

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:48 am
by Philulhu
”I can vouch for you, but I cannot tell the police to return your weapons,” replied Price. ”But you are resourceful people. That is why I hired you. I’m sure you will be able to come up with a scheme to secure the proof you need.”

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:41 am
by Snapper

"We shall see what can be done. Before you go, Dr Douglas would like a moment of your time. But cheerio from me."

Ascot passes the handset to Dr Douglas.

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:41 am
by BoyBlunder78
"Mr Price Dr Douglas here, i have some more information which i hope your extensive resources maybe able to help with. During our search of the manor I came across the McMorns diary. In it he relates a tale of a witch doctor he found in Africa who led him to some undiscovered city where he witnessed and was taught some ritual which summoned creatures which came from the trees in that area. After coming back to Scotland he continued this practice as it look like he has transplanted some of these trees into the surrounding area of the Manor. He goes onto outline how used local nair-do wells to provide him with corpses fir these creatures to feed on and using local livestock when bodies were scarce. The result being the many bones which I'm sure Ascot jas informed you. Now as time went on it seemed that he lost whatever contacts he used for the corpses and he resorted to use the bodies of his own family from crypt, again we found evidence to corroborate this. Im hoping that you may use your connections to help with any information to do with this. One more thing, there was a phrase written in the book which i hope you can help translate 'NIHAR CTHOR HAG NAATHI IST’HE GHLAN GHEIHNT’HOR.” He takes a breath waiting fir a reply, trying to think if he's remembered everything.
OOC:   is there a roll i can do to see if anyone is paying particular notice to our phone conversation?  

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"Dinna forget to tell him about the auld body we found in the locked room," whispers Bonnie. "I think that may have been him."

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:44 am
by BoyBlunder78
" Oh yes, thank ye Bonnie we found a dessicated corpse in one room who we think may have been the master of the house. He had barricaded himself in the room and had probaly died of natural causes. Now his last entry in the journal that he alluded the the cretures had acquired a taste for fresh blood (most probaly from the livestock) and he could for whatever reason not keep with the feeding, and had hoped that the creature wpuld itself die of starvation. How ever it does not seem the case."

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:20 pm
by Philulhu
Listen - 1d100

The telephone was located in the hallway adjacent to the bar and, despite the group’s comings and goings, it seemed that no one in the bar was paying any attention dying their phone call.

Price asked Dr Douglas to repeat the strange phrase and promised that he would ask his researchers to look into that, as well as the strange African city. He promised he would call if he had any further news but cautioned them again that their report must be independent if it were to have any credibility.

”I can help only so far,” he said. ”Finding out information for you is one thing but the proof of what is happening must come from your good selves.” He wished them good luck and rang off.

What are your plans for the rest of the day?

Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:34 am
by Snapper

Ascot wanders over to the others. "Well, Price has been forewarned. He can't help us much though. Father Shaban, did you learn anything interesting?"

"Do we want to keep quiet here at the public house until the constable reappears? Or go explore the rest of the village and surrounds away from the manor?"

"Or else I suppose we could go and annoy that doctor again, at least until he calls for the police and the constable puts us in chains for being a general nuisance."

Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"We could also visit the Reverend again," says Bonnie.

Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:22 am
by Snapper

Ascot brightens up at this suggestion. "Good idea. He wouldn't normally be my first choice for a relaxing afternoon's conversation. However, the Reverend might actually be able to assist us with the constable. Or he may have some other useful ideas."

Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:46 pm
by Joajackson
Snapper wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:34 am Image

Ascot wanders over to the others. "Well, Price has been forewarned. He can't help us much though. Father Shaban, did you learn anything interesting?"

"Do we want to keep quiet here at the public house until the constable reappears? Or go explore the rest of the village and surrounds away from the manor?"

"Or else I suppose we could go and annoy that doctor again, at least until he calls for the police and the constable puts us in chains for being a general nuisance."
The Father answered seeming quite happy for how his day have gone arround after the other companions left.

"I had an interesting conversation with the Reverend, though I would suggest us not meeting him again today. I believe I had already talked with him enough for today, I can retell our meeting, but interacting more may bother the Reverend."

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:23 am
by Mr. Handy

"Please, do tell us," says Bonnie.

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:32 am
by BoyBlunder78
"Yes, be good to get a feeling of what the good Reverand has to say and what the feelings anongst the locals maybe."

Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:35 pm
by Philulhu
So what are your plans for the rest of the day?

Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:08 am
by Snapper
OOC:   Be quite useful to hear what the Rev had to say to the good Father.

Otherwise, happy to skip to whenever the constable reappears.  

Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 3:49 pm
by Joajackson
The Father was an educated man, and have great memory, and so he spoke explaining what the Reverend had said to him before.

"Yes, my combanions. Ze Reverend knew morre or less the same as any local of ze deceased Gordon MacMorn and his also deceased son Alex MaxMorn. Boz werre good christian, attent to ze kirk. As he grew older, Alex become full of wanderlust and left for ze african lands. He returned faizless and wiz two combanions, a native and a sailor. Ze father died, zere werre strange walkabouts and ze house was left abandoned suddenly not long after. Not a lot of new information, yes?"

"Though I managed to convince ze Reverend to announce to ze people zat zere is ze risk of a wild animal, as ze dead sheep implies. Ze least we need is some child dying by ze brredator, Inshallah."

Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:12 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Is there any way we can find out the names of the servant and the sailor?" asks Bonnie.

Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:11 pm
by BoyBlunder78
"According to the diary the names mentioned are Douglas and Yuba. It is not stated
if the former is his christian name or surname but my money is on the latter."
mentions Dr Douglas.

Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:10 am
by Snapper

Ascot has returned to slightly downcast humour, possibly pining for his firearms. Downcast, trending towards morose. "You know, sometimes in Africa we tie a live goat to a stake as bait, then lie in wait for the predator."

"But that would take weapons, and a goat. A sheep may suffice."

"Or if we think the beasties are more tempted by old bones as yet ungnawed on, there is that gentleman we found locked in his room. The presumed last laird."
Ascot grimaces as he says this.

Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"Hopefully we'll get our weapons back before evening," says Bonnie. "Perhaps the beastie is nocturnal. Nobody's seen it aboot during the day, and the killings happened at night, of both man and sheep."

Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:59 am
by BoyBlunder78
Reacting to what Ascot said," judging by what the journal states this creature usually feeds upon the dead but now it seems bery much to prefer to dine upon the flesh of the living....Maybe a visit to the doctor again, he seems to have an interest in the history of the place. He may let slip some information if we get him excited enough over our discoveries?"

Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:31 pm
by Snapper

Ascot takes a tiny sip of whisky. "I'd rather prefer the sheep or goat option, myself. The alternative is repulsive and disrespectful to the dead, even if they were bad in life."

"Here's another question for us all. Do we hope the Constable sees sense? Or do we have Miss MacKenzie call her family solicitor in Inverness, to see if the solicitor can advise us of our position, or can deal with the Constable's superiors? That might assist us, but obviously will irritate the Constable no end."

"My vote would be call the solicitor now, however, I am happy to go with the majority decision."

"Meantime, by all means let's have another try with the local doctor. He is very wily though, so far he hasn't slipped that I can tell."

Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:10 pm
by BoyBlunder78
"I concour, the solicitors is a good option. Would be best to know where we stand, if it puts the Constables nose out some what so be it. Forewarnes is forearmed as they say. Ascot any idea where we could procure a sheep? Or do.you think it best to appeal to the good villagers good nature in the hope they may..ahem..donate.. one as we are trying to protect them all from a savage beast?"

Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:45 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, I'll call the solicitor," says Bonnie, "but I think it should be for advice only at this point. Only if the Constable refuses to return our property should we get him directly involved. We dinna want to upset him if we dinna have to. As for bait, there's the sheep in the tree. The beastie put it there, so it will be back for it. We just have to be ready to catch it - and armed."

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:49 pm
by Philulhu
Miss MacKenzie?” came the voice down the phone, “It’s Ewan Crawford. I’m afraid Mr McRath is in court and won’t be back in the office today. Is there something I can help you with?”

Bonnie recognised the voice. Crawford was the new junior partner at McRath & Brown, her family solicitors. He had all but shed his local accent while studying in England and he had a slightly pompous tone to his voice. She had been introduced to him at a barn dance not long after he started but he’d all but ignored her in favour of fawning over his new boss’ wife…

Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:33 am
by Mr. Handy

"Just some legal advice for now, please, Mr. Crawford," says Bonnie. "Hopefully no legal action will be necessary." She explains the situation with the Constable taking their weapons.

Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:07 pm
by Joajackson
BoyBlunder78 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:10 pm "I concour, the solicitors is a good option. Would be best to know where we stand, if it puts the Constables nose out some what so be it. Forewarnes is forearmed as they say. Ascot any idea where we could procure a sheep? Or do.you think it best to appeal to the good villagers good nature in the hope they may..ahem..donate.. one as we are trying to protect them all from a savage beast?"
Father Ó Shaban looked confused at this words, he pulled out 10 dollars out of his pocket.

"Forrgive, but why are you talking as if zere was ze need to be strange about the obtaining of ze sheep, we can buy it. At worst I will need to travel to iverness and obtain an exchange of currency, yes?"

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:56 pm
by Snapper

Ascot continues to slowly sip whisky, keeping half an ear on the local end of the telephone conversation. "Well, the first problem is getting our weapons back or replacing them. We can't do anything until then."

"Once that's hopefully resolved, we might worry about sheep."

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:15 pm
by Philulhu
”I’m assuming that they were obtained legally and you have the necessary gun licences? In which case, Miss MacKenzie, I see no reason to be alarmed,” replied Crawford. “I’m sure the Constable will return them as soon as he is able but if he hasn’t returned them by tea time, please let me know and I can place a call to the Chief Constable to hurry things along.” He had that smug, condescending tone of someone who would use their connections to get through life…

Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:48 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank ye, Mr. Crawford, we shall do just that," says Bonnie. "We just want to make sure we get them back before nightfall, but without antagonising the Constable if possible. There's a wild beastie aboot." She fills in the others about what he told her.

Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:05 am
by Snapper

Ascot nods agreement. "Both my rifle and revolver are legally registered to me in London. I've had them both since the War." He looks resigned and tries to put a cheery face on events. "Are we happy to wait out the afternoon until the Constable returns, then?"

Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:30 pm
by Joajackson
Snapper wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:05 am Image

Ascot nods agreement. "Both my rifle and revolver are legally registered to me in London. I've had them both since the War." He looks resigned and tries to put a cheery face on events. "Are we happy to wait out the afternoon until the Constable returns, then?"
The Father seemed happy with that resolution.

"Inshallah, we shall rremain until zere is furzer notice. I have been playing games wiz ze locals, and I am sure you all could get some rrelaxation after zat mansions scares, yes?"

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:42 am
by Mr. Handy

"And my guns are legally registered in Inverness," says Bonnie. "Mr. Crawford could very easily prove that. Perhaps we could look up local genealogical records. I'm sure the Reverend could help us locate them. It would be interesting to see who Dr. McBride's ancestors are."

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:47 pm
by Philulhu
So where are you heading next?

Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:51 am
by Mr. Handy

I think we should talk to the Reverend. Church records should have the information we need, and we've already explained to him our suspicions of McBride's ancestry.

Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 2:44 am
by Snapper

"I'm game. We haven't much else we can do and it's worth a try."

Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:10 pm
by BoyBlunder78
" To the Reverand it is then, they see where that leads us. Then possibly a visit to the goos Doctor depending on our findings of course.

Posted: Mon May 01, 2023 4:03 pm
by Philulhu

Reverend McCallan was just walking down the path from the kirk as they approached. A look of fleeting exasperation passed over his face before he forced a smile and said, ”Ye are here agin. How may I help ye this time?”

Posted: Tue May 02, 2023 5:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"We'd like to do some genealogical research, Reverend," says Bonnie. "We figured ye'd have all the local records. We want to find out the truth about Dr. McBride's ancestry. If he's nae descended from the MacMorn family, the records will prove that. And if he is, they'll prove that too."

Posted: Wed May 03, 2023 11:32 pm
by Philulhu
The Reverend rolled his eyes most uncharitably. ”If I leave ye the registers to read, will ye let me get oan with ma rounds?” he said testily.

Leading the way back to the kirk, he cleared a space on one of the tables to the rear of the nave and returned promptly with two heavy, leatherbound books. ”Births, Christening, Confirmations, Marriage and Deaths,” he said, putting the books down heavily. ”I’ll leave ye tae it. Just close the door when ye’s leave.” He bid them goodbye and headed out to tend to his parishioners.

Library use rolls required from anyone studying the books, please.

Father Ó Shaban (library use - 70%) 1d100

Posted: Thu May 04, 2023 12:30 am
by Snapper

Ascot pulls a pair of rarely seen, wire-framed spectacles from his jacket and puts them on.

1d%L20%

OOC:   Fail.  

The reading being not Conan-Doyle, he soon loses concentration and leaves it to his more studious, not to say bookish, compatriots.

Posted: Thu May 04, 2023 4:44 am
by Mr. Handy

Bonnie can always find what she needs in technical manuals, but church records are beyond her.

Library Use roll (20% base skill) searching the records:
d%

Posted: Thu May 04, 2023 9:08 pm
by BoyBlunder78
30% 1d100
OOC:   Hard success!!!  
Dr Douglas in his element dives into the records with glee.
OOC:   Would it be worth spending the 2 luck to make it a critical?  

Posted: Sat May 06, 2023 2:55 pm
by Joajackson
The Father Ó Shaban helped his group with the library work, he also was a learned man after all.

Posted: Mon May 08, 2023 10:05 am
by Philulhu
No need to spend any luck points.

Two hours passed. Two hours of poring over dusty church documents, cross-referencing names and dates but ultimately they found that all they had was little more than confirmation of information they already knew.

Gordon McMorn - Alex’s father - was descended from a long line of McMorn’s dating back more than 100 years. His date of birth, marriage and death were duly recorded, with a note to say that he had been interred in the family crypt, rather than the graveyard. His wife’s details were also recorded.

The birthdate of Alex and his sister, Moira, were both recorded, although no date of death was recorded for either sibling.

Outside the wind had picked up and the skies darkened as the first drops of rain began to fall against the church windows.

Posted: Mon May 08, 2023 4:56 pm
by Joajackson
Father Ó Shaban looked at the darknening skies beyond the church windows with suspicious eyes, while checking again a document, he spoke.

"An ill omen ze rain is, inshallah. Most of ze breedatorrs like ze cover of ze coverring of ze sun, I would reccomend for ourr combanionshib to not sebarate except when ze light of ze lord is high on ze sky."

Posted: Tue May 09, 2023 2:03 am
by Snapper

Ascot looks out at the rain. "It is a bit gloomy out, although we are in Scotland. I believe this is what it's meant to be like. But sticking together is a good plan nonetheless."

"So, this sister Moira didn't apparently die with the rest of them up at the manor. The question is, did she have heirs? If so, my limited understanding of the law of the land is they can claim the place."

"And the next question is, is the slightly too clever English doctor such an heir? And does that help us? Other than adding to our distrust of the oik."

Posted: Tue May 09, 2023 4:57 am
by Mr. Handy

Was there anything in there about McBride's family or known ancestors?

Posted: Tue May 09, 2023 11:34 pm
by Philulhu
There was no mention of any McBrides in the records.

Posted: Wed May 10, 2023 3:48 am
by Snapper

"It may be time to head back to the pub to wait on the Constable, eh?"

Posted: Wed May 10, 2023 5:21 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye," says Bonnie, checking her watch.

Posted: Wed May 10, 2023 8:22 am
by BoyBlunder78
"Aye, a wee drink and a bite to eat may also be on the cards. We could have a long night ahead of us."

Posted: Thu May 11, 2023 12:08 am
by Philulhu
Mrs McPherson arranged for tea and shortbread biscuits (and a wee nip for Ascot) in the lounge. As the afternoon drew on, the winds picked up and clouds heavily with rain roiled across the sky, pelting the windows with heavy raindrops that threatened to soak to the skin anyone who ventured outside.

As they watched, the hands of the clock showed 5 ‘o’ clock and the bell sounded five times. It didn’t look as if Constable Leslie was coming back.

Posted: Thu May 11, 2023 4:18 am
by Mr. Handy

"It's time to call the solicitor," says Bonnie, heading for the phone.

Posted: Thu May 11, 2023 4:27 am
by Snapper

"I think you're right. There is a difference between brave and foolhardy. Hunting whatever these wild animals are without means of defence would be foolhardy. And if we can't get our firearms back, I guess we could attempt to borrow someone else's? Or look at some purchases in Inverness tomorrow?"

"Whatever the case, there is no justification for our putting our lives at risk to satisfy the curiosity of Mr Price's society."

Posted: Thu May 11, 2023 9:59 am
by BoyBlunder78
"Precisely, I think we should maybe give the Constable another couple of hours then of we have dtill not heard from him maybe contact the station and ask of he's returned. Maybe its the ominous weather but i have a forboding feeling on the pit of my stomach."

Posted: Fri May 12, 2023 5:11 am
by Mr. Handy

"We cannae wait any longer," says Bonnie. "It's only going to get darker, and we need our weapons now. Besides, something may have happened to him."

Posted: Fri May 12, 2023 8:44 am
by Snapper

"Absolutely, let us see what your man can accomplish this afternoon."

Posted: Sat May 13, 2023 1:00 am
by Philulhu
”I’m afraid Mr Crawford is with a client and can’t be disturbed “ said the voice at the other end of the phone when Bonnie’s call was put through to the solicitors’ office. “I will tell him you called, Miss McKenzie, and ask him to call you back if he gets the chance.” The receptionist took the number of the public house and said she would leave a note for Crawford.

A few of the regulars were starting to drift into the bar, shaking off the rain from their coats as they settled in for a quick drink before heading home.

Posted: Sat May 13, 2023 4:36 am
by Mr. Handy

"Let's go to the Constable's office to see if he's still there," says Bonnie. "I'd better wait by the phone in case Mr. Crawford calls back."

Posted: Sat May 13, 2023 5:22 am
by Snapper
OOC:   Had the party noticed if there was anything in the form of a police station in the tiny village, or did the constable operate from somewhere further afield, like Inverness?  

Posted: Sat May 13, 2023 7:22 pm
by Joajackson
Mr. Handy wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 4:36 am Image

"Let's go to the Constable's office to see if he's still there," says Bonnie. "I'd better wait by the phone in case Mr. Crawford calls back."
Father Ó Shaban, as an old man, didn't seem really able to go into the rain and follow the party unto the dark, so he offered yo stay.

"Forgiveness forr my inability, but I believe I should stay. My old bones are not appropiate for zis climate. I will keep track of any calls to the tavern, and answer zem if necesary, yes?"

Posted: Sat May 13, 2023 9:46 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Thank ye," says Bonnie, "but he doesna ken who ye are and may not be willing to talk to ye . It's best that I remain here, but ye're welcome to stay with me."

Posted: Sun May 14, 2023 12:08 am
by Philulhu
There’s no police station in the village. The nearest one is in Inverness.

Posted: Sun May 14, 2023 7:21 am
by Snapper

"I don't believe there is a police station here. The constable surely travels from one of the larger towns? He may have been distracted today with other police business. Some of us could have a look around the village for his vehicle. Otherwise, he may just as easily be in Inverness right now."

"Doctor, it may just be the two of us. Shouldn't take five minutes though, this is not a big village."

Posted: Sun May 14, 2023 11:36 am
by BoyBlunder78
" Lead the way, i feel better being more pro-active than just sitting around and waiting. I just get rather on edge. "

Posted: Sun May 14, 2023 11:48 pm
by Philulhu
The wind had picked up and the rain that had threatened was rolling in as they left the pub to explore the village. The skies were dark with the rain-sodden clouds and the light was beginning to fail as the sun headed behind the nearby hills. It wasn’t dark yet, but it was certainly starting to be gloomy.

The streets of the village were deserted. It seemed everyone had taken heed of the weather and stayed indoors.

Is this just Ascot & Dr Douglas venturing forth? Was are Bonnie and Father Ó Shaban doing?

Posted: Sun May 14, 2023 11:54 pm
by Snapper
OOC:   Bonnie is waiting on a return call from her Brief and the good Father is staying in the pub to avoid the rain inflaming his arthritis. So just Ascot and the Doc.  

Posted: Mon May 15, 2023 3:40 am
by Mr. Handy

Yes, that's right.

Posted: Tue May 16, 2023 5:52 pm
by Joajackson
Philulhu wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:48 pm The wind had picked up and the rain that had threatened was rolling in as they left the pub to explore the village. The skies were dark with the rain-sodden clouds and the light was beginning to fail as the sun headed behind the nearby hills. It wasn’t dark yet, but it was certainly starting to be gloomy.

The streets of the village were deserted. It seemed everyone had taken heed of the weather and stayed indoors.

Is this just Ascot & Dr Douglas venturing forth? Was are Bonnie and Father Ó Shaban doing?
Father Ó Shaban stays with Bonnie.

Posted: Tue May 16, 2023 11:43 pm
by Philulhu
OK. Where are Ascot and Dr Douglas heading?

Posted: Wed May 17, 2023 3:57 am
by Snapper
OOC:   I'm thinking check the village's main street then start spiralling out until we reach the edge out the village or out gets too dark.  

Posted: Wed May 17, 2023 8:54 am
by BoyBlunder78
OOC:   I agree. Hopefully spotting any signs of any policeman or indeed anyone/thing looking suspicious.  

Posted: Thu May 18, 2023 12:00 am
by Philulhu
The village only had a handful of streetlights so Ascot and Doctor Douglas were mainly relying on chinks of light escaping from curtained windows to guide their way. The driving rain didn’t help their cause, reducing visibility and causing them to squint against the sting of raindrops hitting their faces.

The only car visible on the Main Street was Bonnie’s. Of the Policeman, there was no sign. In the distance, a gate creaked and there was a noise like splintering wood.

OOC:   Spot hidden, please.  

The telephone in the hallway rang and was answered by Mrs MacPherson. She beckoned to Bonnie and indicated that the call was for here.

Miss MacKenzie? Ewan Crawford again,” came the voice of her solicitor. “I’ve managed to reach the station at Inverness but it’s not good news, I’m afraid. The Constable had to deal with a traffic fatality so he didn’t have the time to return your rifles. I’m assured they’ll be returned tomorrow, once the checks are complete.”

Posted: Thu May 18, 2023 12:08 am
by Snapper

Spoiler:
1d%pHdd60%

Regular success.  

Posted: Thu May 18, 2023 2:06 am
by BoyBlunder78
30% 1d100

OOC:   Hard success  

Posted: Thu May 18, 2023 3:42 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank ye, Mr. Crawford," says Bonnie. "Ye've done all ye could. I just hope we dinna need our guns before then." To Father Ó Shaban she says. "We should find the others if we can and get them to come back before it gets really dark. They're wasting their time, and they'll be in danger if they're out there at night. It's too bad ye canna carry a telephone with ye without any wires." She looks thoughtful for a moment. "One day I shall have to invent one."

Posted: Thu May 18, 2023 3:11 pm
by Joajackson
Mr. Handy wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 3:42 am Image

"Thank ye, Mr. Crawford," says Bonnie. "Ye've done all ye could. I just hope we dinna need our guns before then." To Father Ó Shaban she says. "We should find the others if we can and get them to come back before it gets really dark. They're wasting their time, and they'll be in danger if they're out there at night. It's too bad ye canna carry a telephone with ye without any wires." She looks thoughtful for a moment. "One day I shall have to invent one."

The Father was confused at the words of the young woman about inventing a wireless telephone, it seemed absolutely strange. After a second of confusion, he answered.

"Good woman, I sincerrely advise against it. If zere is a risk outside, I doubt we would be of ze help. If you consider it a must, I will accombany you, but zis body is not what it used to be, I cant walk as quick as you do, yes?"

Posted: Thu May 18, 2023 11:07 pm
by Philulhu
Making their way towards the kirk, Ascot and Doctor Douglas noticed someone approaching in their direction. A man wearing an oilskin coat and a hat from which the rain ran steadily.

As he drew closer, they recognised the face beneath the brim of the hat - Dr. McBride! He frowned as he saw them and raised his voice, calling out, ”What brings you gentlemen out on such a foul night?!”

OOC:   So, are you heading outside?  

Posted: Fri May 19, 2023 3:29 am
by Snapper

"Evening Doctor. We're going for a constitutional walk before dinner, habit of a lifetime, can't be broken. It will be a short walk in this weather, mind."

"Did you hear something breaking back the way you can from? Sounded like breaking wood."

Posted: Fri May 19, 2023 4:42 am
by Mr. Handy

"We could drive round the village," says Bonnie. "Then we wouldna have to walk, and we'd be more likely to catch up to them."

Posted: Fri May 19, 2023 6:58 am
by BoyBlunder78
Dr Douglas watches McBride's features and body language closely. "What brings you out on such night Doctor? Nothing serious i hope?"

Posted: Sun May 21, 2023 11:46 pm
by Philulhu
”Hear something?” McBride turned and looked in the direction of the woods, then back towards Ascot and Dr. Douglas. ”I don’t think so. To be honest, it’s difficult to hear anything in this sou’wester. It’s like walking in a paper bag, even at the best of times!”

He laughed, but it sounded forced. ”As to me being out here, I’m on my way to see Agnes Gray. The poor child has whooping cough and I said I’ll call in and take a look at her.”

OOC:   Just waiting for Father Ó S to decide what he’s doing.  

Posted: Mon May 22, 2023 12:16 am
by Joajackson
Philulhu wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 11:46 pm
”Hear something?” McBride turned and looked in the direction of the woods, the back towards Ascot and Dr. Douglas. ”I don’t think so. To be honest, it’s difficult to hear anything in this sou’wester. It’s like walking in a paper bag, even at the best of times!”

He laughed, but it sounded forced. ”As to me being out here, I’m on my way to see Agnes Gray. The poor child has whooping cough and I said I’ll call in and take a look at her.”

OOC:   Just waiting for Father Ó S to decide what he’s doing.  

The Father thought for a moment and accepted.

"Yes, zat would be wise. Lets do zat."

Posted: Mon May 22, 2023 11:13 am
by Snapper

"By any chance, have you seen the local constable about this afternoon?"

OOC:   Can Ascot roughly guess which direction the sounds of splintering wood came from?  

Posted: Mon May 22, 2023 5:57 pm
by Philulhu
”I saw the Constable drive past in his car earlier this afternoon, but I haven’t seen him since,” replied McBride.

OOC:   Listen or any other appropriate skill should do it.  

OOC:   Can I have a Spot Hidden roll for Bonnie, please?

Father Ó Shaban’s roll (25%) - 1d100  

Posted: Tue May 23, 2023 12:01 am
by Snapper

1d%L30%

Fail.  

Posted: Tue May 23, 2023 1:23 am
by BoyBlunder78
OOC:   pass  
1d100

Posted: Tue May 23, 2023 3:11 am
by Snapper

"Well, don't let us hold you up with your important work. Evening, doctor."

Posted: Tue May 23, 2023 5:16 am
by Mr. Handy

Bonnie may as well be blind.
Spoiler:
Spot Hidden roll (50% skill) outside:
d%

Posted: Thu May 25, 2023 12:05 am
by Philulhu
To Dr Douglas’ ears, the noise seemed to have come from up the hill, from the direction of the Manor House which they had visited earlier that day. McBride studied him with a frown, then stepped back a couple of paces before pulling a heavy revolver from his pocket and aiming at the two men.

”No funny business,” he said coldly. ”Make any sudden moves and I’ll shoot you where you stand.”

Neither Bonnie nor Father Ó Shaban noticed the figure watching them from the shadows until he spoke as they reached her car.

”That’s far enough,” he growled, stepping out where they could see him. He wore a heavy jacket and a flat cap, soaked with the rain. It was the thick, black moustache that gave him away. it was the man from the bar earlier - Willie Stewart.

He lifted a shotgun and aimed it at them. ”Dinnae move if ye value yer lives!”

Posted: Thu May 25, 2023 3:12 am
by Joajackson
Philulhu wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 12:05 am
To Dr Douglas’ ears, the noise seemed to have come from up the hill, from the direction of the Manor House which they had visited earlier that day. McBride studied him with a frown, then stepped back a couple of paces before pulling a heavy revolver from his pocket and aiming at the two men.

”No funny business,” he said coldly. ”Make any sudden moves and I’ll shoot you where you stand.”

Neither Bonnie nor Father Ó Shaban noticed the figure watching them from the shadows until he spoke as they reached her car.

”That’s far enough,” he growled, stepping out where they could see him. He wore a heavy jacket and a flat cap, soaked with the rain. It was the thick, black moustache that gave him away. it was the man from the bar earlier - Willie Stewart.

He lifted a shotgun and aimed it at them. ”Dinnae move if ye value yer lives!”

The Father Ó Shaban had a considerably strange reaction, laughing openly, he spoke towards Bonnie as he put his hands up

"I didn't expect ze scottish KKK's, how do you call zese guys? Ze armed angrry men against ze foreignerrs?"

This was not the normal way of acting, but the old man seemed to have presume that this was for some kind of xenophobic situation.

I have just remembered, what happened to Hamish?

Posted: Thu May 25, 2023 4:54 am
by Mr. Handy

"I dinna think that's it, Father," says Bonnie, also raising her hands and holding still while she mentally counts the barrels on the shotgun and looks to see if it's a pump action or not. "I'm Scottish, and from this area. Nae, I think this is personal."

Posted: Thu May 25, 2023 7:53 am
by Snapper

Ascot carefully holds his hands up. He does not make any attempt to look surprised by the doctor revealing himself this way. "Don't be a fool, man. Your shoot us, half this village will hear. And you think it won't be noticed if we don't go back to the pub soon? You can't just make two people disappear."

"Don't make this worse on yourself. Stop now and we'll tell the police you behaved well with us. On my word. But you pull the trigger and you'll swing for it."

Posted: Thu May 25, 2023 8:37 am
by BoyBlunder78
Taken aback by the sudden turn of events Dr Douglas raises his arms and backs away from McBride. "What the devil are you doing man?!"

Posted: Thu May 25, 2023 10:46 pm
by Philulhu
”It’s the countryside,” said McBride. ”People around here are used to the sound of vermin being shot.”

He glanced behind them, back towards the inn. ”As soon as your friends are here, we’re going for a little walk.”

Satisfied that neither Bonnie nor Father Ó Shaban were going to put up a fight, Stewart pointed down the street. ”That way,” he growled, keeping them covered with his shotgun.

OOC:   Bonnie can see it’s a side-by-side double-barrelled shotgun.

Hamish went upstairs to his room earlier but hadn’t reappeared by the time the current events are taking place.  

Posted: Thu May 25, 2023 11:31 pm
by Snapper

"What is this all about, man? You hope to lay claim to that derelict manor, as the long lost relative, eh? It would cost your life's savings to repair the place. It can't be worth murdering four innocent people. Well, three and me."

"Look man, we are only here because we've been hired. We are business people. You pay us instead, and if you wish then we help you get rid of whatever the wild animals up there are. Manor is all yours, for what it's worth, and we leave."

Spoiler:
Any chance of a Persuade roll?

Posted: Fri May 26, 2023 5:43 am
by Mr. Handy

Bonnie nods and slowly walks where she's directed.

Posted: Sat May 27, 2023 9:17 am
by Philulhu
”The Manor House?” laughed McBride sarcastically. ”All in good time! I’ll claim my birthright as the Laird of McMorn, then we’ll see about the Manor House.”

”We’re going to deal with whatever is up there and then you’re free to go. Once I’ve reclaimed my birthright, it won’t matter what scurrilous tales you tell people about me.”

From behind, Bonnie and Father Ó Shaban moved up to join them, a shotgun-toting Willie Stewart moving off to one side to make sure he could see them all. His face was impassive and there was no doubt as to his readiness to use his gun if required.
OOC:   There’s no chance of a persuade.  

Shepherded by Stewart and his shotgun, Bonnie and Father Ó Shaban moved down the street until they could see Ascot and Dr Douglas standing ahead, being covered by Dr McBride, who was covering them with a heavy revolver.

“Now we are all here, we can go,” said McBride, waving his pistol barrel in the direction of the path towards the Manor House. ”And no funny business. Willie here will shoot the first person who tries to run or says anything out of turn!”

Posted: Sat May 27, 2023 2:29 pm
by Snapper

Ascot winces when he sees Bonnie and the Father. He makes no move to start walking but does keep his hands up.

"Exactly how do you plan to deal with whatever is up there, as you put it? If I'm just marching off to my death, I'll save myself the trouble and aggravation, and just get shot here."

Posted: Sat May 27, 2023 3:35 pm
by Joajackson
Father Ó Shaban had gotten confused, apparently the men pointing weapons at him were not doing because racism. That was a change of norms, he walked as ordered, seemingly confused. After some steps he spoke.

"Forgiveness, but, can anyone exblain? Zis is highly irregularr behaviour, and ze context would be abbreciated, yes? Exactly what ze men with guns want now?"

Posted: Sat May 27, 2023 5:14 pm
by Philulhu
McBride nodded at Stewart who brought his shotgun up to his shoulder and aimed at Ascot. ”We’ll work that out when we get to the house. Now start moving or Willie’s going to shoot,” he said.

One glance at Willie Stewart and it was clear that he’d have no hesitation in pulling the trigger.

Posted: Sat May 27, 2023 8:53 pm
by Mr. Handy

Not wanting to get perforated, Bonnie moves toward the house.

Posted: Sun May 28, 2023 6:33 am
by Snapper

Ascot turns towards the manor. "Will you give us your word you will release us unharmed once you have accomplished whatever your plan is at the manor?"

Posted: Sun May 28, 2023 9:01 am
by BoyBlunder78
"So McBride, we had pur suspicions thst you were in someway connected to the McMorns through the aunt?"

Posted: Mon May 29, 2023 11:35 pm
by Philulhu
”You’ll be free to go. It won’t matter by then,” said McBride contemptuously. ”And yes, I’m a descendent of Moira McMorn, and the one true heir of the McMorn ancestral home.”

At gunpoint and in the driving rain, the foursome were marched up the trail to the Manor House, where they stopped beneath the imposing facade. McBride pointed at the entrance with his revolver. ”You can go in first. Check the place is clear,” he said coldly, while Willie Stewart glowered behind him, covering them with his shotgun.

Posted: Tue May 30, 2023 12:04 am
by Mr. Handy

"This is your home, then, and we wouldna interfere with your rights to it," says Bonnie. "Ye didna need to hold us at gunpoint." She heads for the entrance. "Of course, if anything happens to us, ye will be the first one suspected. Too many people know."

Posted: Tue May 30, 2023 9:14 am
by BoyBlunder78
"What is it your hoping to find here? What is it you need to support your claim?"

Posted: Tue May 30, 2023 7:27 pm
by Philulhu
”What did you find upstairs? Willie and Donald McColl were meant to search the building but they got frightened and ran away,” said McBride.

Behind them, Stewart scowled but said nothing.

Posted: Wed May 31, 2023 12:22 am
by BoyBlunder78
"Willie what's your stake in this caper? We found a scary statue, which gave us quite a scare I'll tell you, and a dead body,and lots of empty coffins. Why haven't you been up to your home Mcbride?"

Posted: Wed May 31, 2023 5:32 am
by Mr. Handy

"Why are ye afraid to explore the hoose yourselves?" asks Bonnie. "Ye think there's less risk in forcing us to do it gunpoint, even though ye could get in trouble with the law?"

Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:36 am
by Snapper

Ascot trudges along, hands up, clearly seething with anger. "There's nothing in that manor but the chewed on bones of your ancestors, dust, cobwebs, and a scary statue, eh?! And somewhere about the grounds are the descendants of some dangerous African predators."

"And as for Willie here, Alec Graham the darts champ was right about you, you're brave when you have the shotgun but you wouldn't be willing to box two rounds with me."

Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:08 pm
by Philulhu
”Carry on and you’ll be taking your teeth home in your hat,” snapped McBride.

They trudged on in silence for a few minutes, then McBride said, ”You must have found something in there. Otherwise you would have gone home by now. I’ll not have anyone deny me my birthright!”

Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:28 pm
by BoyBlunder78
"We found a dead body, which we informed the police about. That is why we are still here. The police also still have some of our possessions whixh we are waiting to get back." replies Dr Douglas.

Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:12 am
by Snapper

Ascot snorts. "And by dead, we mean dead a hundred years. Actually, if you include all the human bones we found, there's quite a few bodies up there. All dead a very long time."

"We are here to find the real explanation for how that recent killing of McColl happened. And the killer certainly wasn't that poor lad McLeod, locked up in Inverness. There's some strange African animals up there, I should know, that's what I hunt for a living. We've seen the tracks. We've seen the dead sheep stashed high up in a tree. No man did that, least of all a lad currently behind bars a long way away."

Ascot eyes Willie. "Surely, Willie, in all your time poaching, you must have seen some strange things near the manor?"

Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:35 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, we dinna wish to interfere with your birthright," says Bonnie. "How did Mr. McColl die?"

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:05 am
by Joajackson
As they got nearer to the house Father Ó Shaban just observed the home and surrounding trees, with some general suspicion, of the armed he seemed worried, but incapable of defending himself, he was more worried of the danger unknown that known.

"Sincerrely gentleman, zis is quite ze worry situation. While I undestand why ze weapon you carry boint at us, I suggest keeping look for ze predator, inshallah. Ze predator seems a night hunter... And ze rain doesnt help."

The Father was starting to get cold bones with it all, and as an old man and a priest he at least tried to get some help from his captors. He was trying to use some talking skill, charm or persuasion.

"McBride, you wouldnt force an old priest to stand in ze rain freezing, yes? I forgot my heavy coat in ze tavern. Could one of you give me theirs? For zis cold soul, inshallah."

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:23 am
by Philulhu
McBride snorted. ”My coat? You must think me mad, Father!” He pointed towards the entrance to the house with his revolver. ”You can take shelter in there!”

From somewhere on the other side of the house, there came a splintering noise, as if a large branch had been torn from a tree. A second followed quickly after. ”That wus it!” snapped Willie Stewart. ”That wus the noise ah heard the night McColl got hisself killed…” He scanned the tree line for movement amidst the heavy rain…

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:33 am
by Joajackson
Philulhu wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:23 am McBride snorted. ”My coat? You must think me mad, Father!” He pointed towards the entrance to the house with his revolver. ”You can take shelter in there!”

From somewhere on the other side of the house, there came a splintering noise, as if a large branch had been torn from a tree. A second followed quickly after. ”That wus it!” snapped Willie Stewart. ”That wus the noise ah heard the night McColl got hisself killed…” He scanned the tree line for movement amidst the heavy rain…
The Father was, while wary, relatively calm. While things were clearly very tense, he had still some of strong bone inside of him.

"Gentleman, ze Predator seems to be near. And zere it seems to be multiple posibilities, most, will end up with us dead. As a man of ze african continent, I assure you, ze beast shall attack ze most menacing of us, yes? All depends of if ze beast understand ze concept of ze gun, and I believe zis one does. So I advise ze precaution McBride and Mrs Stewart."

The Father, that knew little of african animals, said somewhat confidently. After all, the more the armed men pointed away from him their weapons, the better.

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:18 am
by Mr. Handy

"What happened after ye heard the noise?" Bonnie asks Willie.

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:25 am
by Snapper

Ascot looks around carefully, trying to spot the animals...

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:10 am
by BoyBlunder78
Dr Douglas places his hands in pockets, feeling for the small bone handled knife. It may not be much but it may make all the difference between life and death. "Why dont you stay with us Mcbride? surely whatever is making such noise is part of your birthright?"

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:11 pm
by Philulhu
”Utter nonsense! You’re just making that up!” shouted McBride, although his voice betrayed his uncertainty.

”Me an’ Donny McColl wus in the house,” said Willie, his voice distant. ”We heard that noise it shook him up. I tell him to stay put but he widnae. He ran fra home an’ the beast got him, like it’s gonna get us tonight!” He had stepped back and his gun now pointed outwards, towards the trees, his eyes constantly scanning for movement…

Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:58 am
by Snapper

Ascot continues to scan the darkness, turning a full circle on the spot. "Keep your eyes sharp, Willie, they're out there somewhere. I hope you're a decent shot with that cannon."

"McBride, you fool, you'll get us all killed. Why would we, three gentlemen and a lady, lie to you? All that's in there are chewed on old bones. It's what's out here that you should worry about. I hunt wild animals and I'm telling you there are wild animals out here."

Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:32 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, there's nothing for it but to go inside," says Bonnie, walking in the front door. "Come on in, chaps. Trust me."

Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:05 pm
by BoyBlunder78
"Do ya ken why the beast spared you Willie?" Dr Douglas asked as followed Bonnie. Then turning to McBride " Judging by all the gnawed bones in here the beast may have acquired the taste fir your families blood."

Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:21 pm
by Joajackson
The Father was considering things carefully. The day the last men died, all the people that survived were inside the house... That could mean the best didnt enter the house, but then... Why was it full of bones? The Father could not understand that.

"Gentlemen, lady, ze beast is near we must assume, yes? Best is to stay close and vigilant, beware of sudden movements. If one of us tries to rrun ze predator may attack ze prey. We can still leave zis place and return under ze Lord's holy light. McBride and mister Stewart, ze beast of ze african continent fear no western man, ze jaguar is inteligent and vicious, scaling trees and moving invisible trough jungle, zis beast is sure to be similar in its mischiviousness."

The Father continued talking absolute invented nonsense, he had never seen a jaguar and had no idea how close the monster was, but he was not going to waste the opportunity to try to trick two scottish ranchers with talks of africa.

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:13 am
by Philulhu
”Shut up! Just shut up!” snapped McBride, his growing fear all too obvious in his voice. There was another sound like splintering wood and the doctor swore and fired his pistol into the darkness, the sudden noise causing everyone to wince.

Willie jumped at the sudden gunfire! He brought his shotgun up to his shoulder and fired at one of the nearby trees, sending bark flying through the air and causing a mass of branches to come loose and fall to the ground. ”Come on, ye wee bastids! Show yersels!” he shouted into the darkness…

Running into the house? Running away? Doing something else?

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:34 am
by Mr. Handy

Into the house, definitely.

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:46 am
by Snapper

Ascot just raises an eyebrow at the random firing of weapons into the dark. "We are here now, shall we hole up inside until daybreak?"

OOC:   Does the party have any torches or lanterns?  

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:06 am
by Mr. Handy

"That's the idea," says Bonnie. "Once everyone's inside, we'll lock and barricade the door."

I have an electric torch.

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:19 am
by Joajackson
The Father wasnt going to go inside first, but also really didnt want to be the last one, so he quickly advances to the door but would ket someone else get in first.

"I know Mister Stewart and Mcbride tecnically just kidnapped us into ze cave of ze prredator, but I am ze briest of zis group, and I need to sincerrely advice for getting zem in too, zey are still christians, I zink. Mister Stewart! Quickly! Get in the house! Inshallah!"

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:09 am
by Mr. Handy

"I agree, they should come in too," says Bonnie, "but we canna force them if they willna come inside. It's their choice. I've sense enough not to argue with armed men."

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:09 am
by BoyBlunder78
" Reluctantly i agree, though i do think we shouldn't dilly dally and if they dont hurry up, its upto to god if they survive!"
I will have brough a lantern as Ascot and I were walking through the village.

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:42 pm
by Philulhu
The four of them crowded into the entrance hall, Dr. Douglas’ lantern and Bonnie’s torch casting unsettlingly eerie shadows on the walls. Outside, Willie fired another blast from his shotgun before breaking it open to quickly reload.

”Get inside, man!” yelled McBride who stood in the doorway, his revolver in one hand and the partially broken door in the other, ready to slam it shut. As they watched, something emerged from the tree line, loping at speed towards the helpless Willie Stewart. It wasn’t a big cat - it looked more like the hideous statue they had seen upstairs, but knotted and gnarled. He tried to bring up his gun but it was too late! The creature leapt and was upon him, long talons ripping into his fresh, extinguishing his life in an instant! It threw its head back and an unholy howl rang out, echoed by others around the house…

I think that calls for a SAN check…

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:59 pm
by Snapper

1d%50%

OOC:   Fail!! 😩  

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:46 pm
by Mr. Handy

Bonnie manages to keep her wits about her, but she'd feel a lot better if they still had their weapons.

Sanity roll (current level 65) for seeing the creature:
d%

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:06 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Distraught that they've lost a valuable armament, Dr Douglas runs to the door to slam it shut, thinking of somewhere secure. " The room with the body could be our only safe place to hold up. I find it highly unlikely that the beasts hunger will be saited. Well McBride still want your birthright!"
1d100

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:22 pm
by Joajackson
I am still unnable to do dice rolls

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:29 pm
by Philulhu
SAN (60%) 1d100

Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:35 am
by Snapper
OOC:   What's the SAN damage?...  

Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:22 pm
by Philulhu
For seeing a supernatural creature killing Willie Stewart, SAN loss is 1 if you passed and 1d8 if you failed.

McBride’s SAN roll 1d100

SAN loss 1d8 1d8

Willie Stewart’s screams were mercifully short, although they seemed to echo for far longer. “They… they’re feeding on him!” gasped McBride, who was watching event unfold through a break in the door. He turned around, looking wide-eyed. “We should make a run for it, while they’re distracted!” he said.

Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:19 pm
by Snapper

1d8

Ascot has an entirely inappropriate and slightly hysterical fit of the giggles. "<giggle> Whatever that is, it's no African wild animal!! <giggle>"

Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:52 am
by Mr. Handy

"Fleeing would be a fatal mistake," says Bonnie with a shudder. "Willie survived the first time because he was inside the hoose. The beastie left him alone then. Staying inside is our only chance."

Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:54 am
by BoyBlunder78
"We must find a place we can easily defend! Of only we had more weapons! Are you satisfied yet McBride?""

Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:59 pm
by Joajackson
The Father Ó Shaban spoke to himself in arabic, cursing the beast or something similar as the beast feasted on the men. Finally changing to understandeable english, he spoke to the others

"I fearr to say zat I had told you all about zis before hand, but I did told you all about zis before hand. Clearly ze old lord of zis hall brought ze creature from ze souz continent, for wazever reason. Afterr we survive today, we should rreturn to iverrness and call for a hunting party."

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 1:04 am
by Snapper

Ascot mops his face with a handkerchief. He appears to have got the giggling under control. "What about the dead chap's room upstairs? We throw the deceased out for the beasts and barricade ourselves in. How much damage did we do to that door, I wonder?"

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 1:57 am
by Mr. Handy

"That's a thought," says Bonnie, "but we canna stay in there forever, or we'll end up like the previous occupant. I can fix any damage. And I think we are the hunting party. We just need to get our weapons back in the morning."

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:20 am
by BoyBlunder78
"Sounds like a plan, on the evidence we know, this beast only appears at night.So we only have to ladt till daybreak!"Dr Douglas mentions, nervously looking st the door.

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:24 am
by Mr. Handy

"It worked for Willie when he was here with McColl," says Bonnie.

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:27 pm
by Philulhu
There was a heavy ‘thump!’ on the front door, which creaked alarmingly! McBride screamed in fear!

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 1:39 am
by Snapper

Ascot points to the stairs. "Up to the top! Head for the dead man's room, and we'll barricade ourselves in! You too, McBride! Go now!"

OOC:   Ascot will wait for his colleagues to start moving then follow along behind them, watching for the creature.  

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:12 am
by Joajackson
The Father, that was the slowest of the group, didnt even took a second to start running following Ascot's directions. After all, he remembered the old adage about lions and running.

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:06 am
by Mr. Handy

"Block the front door with furniture!" calls Bonnie as she races upstairs. "It'll buy time! I'll get started repairing the door to the room!"

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:56 am
by BoyBlunder78
Dr Douglas grabbed Mcbride by the shoulder. " C'mon man, unless ye wanna lie here with ya ancestors!" and starts running to the stairs.

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:14 am
by Philulhu
There was another ‘thump!’ at the door and one of the planks splintered as they rushed for the stairs, all thoughts of barricading the front door forgotten as they ran for their lives!

McBride sobbed as he was bundled up the stairs, a foul stench revealing that the man had soiled himself in fear…

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:58 pm
by Snapper

Ascot does his best to herd his comrades upstairs, bringing up the rear and frequently looking over his shoulder. He does not assist McBride but nor does Ascot hinder the smelly man. If necessary, Ascot will lug the aged priest in a fireman's carry.

If Ascot spies something club-like in passing, he'll grab it as a weapon.
A balustrade or stair railing perhaps?  

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:10 pm
by BoyBlunder78
OOC:   in McBride's current state is ot possible to take his gun from him? Either by force or persuade?  

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 4:58 am
by Mr. Handy

Bonnie hurries to the room to get started on repairing the door.

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:17 pm
by Philulhu
Luck roll, please.

Sure, just describe what you’re doing (persuasion/coercion) and I’ll decide on an appropriate roll.

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 2:27 pm
by Snapper

1d%L49%

Extreme success.  

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:01 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Dr Douglas grabs McBride by the shoulders, shaking him, making him ficus on him"McBride! pull yourself together man! We need everyone operating at full capacity if we are to survive this. I think the best course of action is for you give either me or Ascot your gun. He is a highly trained hunter and marksman and possibly our best way out of this. If you want to live and enjoy your 'birthright' you must give us your gun!"

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 3:46 pm
by Philulhu
Good roll! I think that calls for something useful…

As Ascot made his way up the staircase, his eyes alighted on a heavily-cobwebbed buckler shield mounted on the wall. It seemed to sit more proudly than it ought to, and a quick investigation (and a brushing away of the cobwebs) revealed the basket hilt of a cutlass tucked away behind. Presumably once part of a pair, its twin was missing, but Ascot was able to wrench it free with a bit of effort. The blade was pitted with rust but it retain enough of an edge and some heft to hurt someone, if necessary.

That sounds like a Persuade roll, to me.

McBride - 1d100

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:06 pm
by BoyBlunder78
1d100
OOC:   bugger  

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:24 pm
by Philulhu
McBride glared and stepped away from Dr Douglas. He sniffed loudly and rubbed his nose on his sleeve. “Take my gun?! I don’t think so!” he snapped, backing into the corner of the room where he could cover them with his pistol.

Can I have an appropriate roll to see how Bonnie gets on with reinforcing the door?

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:28 pm
by BoyBlunder78
"So be it, but dont waste a shot or you'll be the first to go." curses Dr Douglas as he goes to try and help Bonnie with the door.

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 1:45 am
by Mr. Handy

Bonnie is having no luck with the door so far.

Mechanical Repair roll (60% skill) to shore up the door:
d%

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:01 am
by Snapper

Cool!!

Ascot glares at McBride. "You keep the revolver, you better be ready to defend us all when that beast and the rest of its pride arrive."

Is the somewhat mummified hundred year old corpse still in the room?
If it is, Ascot will quickly wrap it in its blanket and deposits it outside the room, somewhere near the top of the stairs.  

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:12 pm
by Joajackson
Father Ó Shaban didnt knew what to do, he really wasnt the kind of person for this kind of situation. He was an old priest, and not of the magical kind, so, once inside, he tried to start helping Bonnie. Though, he probably didnt have skills related to that.

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:52 pm
by Philulhu
If you don’t have a relevant skill to use to fix the door, then please give me a DEX check.

Ascot may drag the body out onto the landing.

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:51 pm
by Joajackson
Philulhu wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:52 pm
If you don’t have a relevant skill to use to fix the door, then please give me a DEX check.

Ascot may drag the body out onto the landing.
I still cant roll dices. But I would do a dex check.

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:45 pm
by Philulhu
Sorry, I keep forgetting you can’t do dice rolls!

DEX (60) 1d100

Looks like the Father can help out :)

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:55 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Dr Douglas gives Ascot a hand with the body. "We are going to need to barricade this door as soon as we can!"

Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:41 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank ye, Father," says Bonnie when the priest helps. "This would have been a lot easier if I had my tools."

Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:23 am
by Philulhu
The desiccated body of the sailor had been dragged onto the landing and dumped ceremoniously by Ascot and Dr Douglas. They hurried back into the room and Bonnie, with the help of Father Ó Shaban, secured the door. A chest of drawers had been pushed across the door for additional strength but it wasn’t inspiring a lot of confidence.

In the corner, McBride covered them with his pistol, the barrel twitching nervously. Outside, the rain continued to fall, punctuated with frequent flashes of lightning and peals of thunder. From the village could be heard the toll of the kirk bell. Seven ‘o’ clock. It was going to be a long night… …

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:03 am
by Snapper

Ascot hefts the cutlass, feeling its weight. "This will be a long and unpleasant wait. And I was looking forward to tea and a whisky at the public house, eh?"

Ascot is ready to throw his weight against the barricade if need be.  

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:56 am
by Mr. Handy

"Let's keep our voices down," whispers Bonnie. "We don't want it to hear us."

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:13 am
by BoyBlunder78
Dr Douglas feels for the small bone handled dagger in his pocket, pulling it out ready. Thinking that it didn't do the ladt occupant of this room any good. ....He walks over to the window standing to the side so not to try and sneaky a peek ourside.

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:55 pm
by Joajackson
The Father Ó Shaban sat down and declared.

"We shall stay here for too long, I will pray for our success, and meditate. Inshallah."

And so, the priest positioned himself to start praying in meditation, and maybe have a nap.

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:34 pm
by Philulhu
Can I have a Stealth roll, please?

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:30 pm
by BoyBlunder78
If you must.......1d100
:|

Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 12:24 am
by Philulhu
Mercifully, the gathering gloom and the falling rain obscured much of the body of Willie Stewart but Dr Douglas could still see his limbs jerking as the creature fed upon him, pulling away chunks of meat like a wild animal feasting on a corpse. He must have gasped involuntarily in horror for the creature suddenly looked up and their eyes locked! It threw its back and howled, rain running down its skin and it turned and loped back towards the main door, throwing its weight against it as it strove to get at the fresh meat inside… …

SAN roll, please.

Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:04 am
by Mr. Handy

That didn't display properly. It was missing a close bracket. Here's the spoiler button's contents:

Code: Select all

[Spoiler-Button=SAN roll, please.[/Spoiler-Button]

Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:34 am
by BoyBlunder78
1d100
OOC:   critical!  

Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:48 am
by Philulhu
Lose one point of SAN.

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:00 pm
by Philulhu
What actions are you taking? You’ve got a disturbed man with a gun for company and a creature trying to batter down the door.

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:15 am
by Snapper
Spoiler:
I assume the monster(s) is or are busy bashing in the front door, ground level first? Hopefully, they'll race up and start feasting on the long dead mariner now outside the bedroom.

Ascot will encourage everyone to be very quiet, lights out. If the monster or monsters try to push the door open, he'll throw his weight against it. If claws start smashing through, he'll attack them with the cutlass.

As for McBride, Ascot is hoping he'll help defend or at least won't shoot the party (yet). For the moment, wrestling him for the revolver still seems pretty risky. Ascot will, however, give reason one last try...

Ascot looks at McBride and hisses, quietly but with feeling. "McBride, everything we've told you has proven true. You can see we have not lied. Give me the revolver and I will do everything I can to protect you as well as the rest of us. So far you have not really committed any serious crime, beyond pointing that weapon at us. On my word, you will have my protection."

Any chance Ascot can make a Persuade roll?  

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:52 am
by Mr. Handy

Bonnie positions herself against the wall in which the door is, to one side, and makes as little noise as possible. She doesn't think the pistol will do much good against the beast, but if she gets a chance after it breaks into the room, she intends to go for Willie's shotgun.

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:33 am
by BoyBlunder78
Looking around the room for anything else to barricade the door Dr Douglas hisses at McBride "For god sakes man, do as he says, you know it makes sense!"

Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:08 am
by Philulhu
McBride just gave out a low growl - clearly he was beyond reason at this point in time!

From the door on the ground floor, there was a splintering noise as one of the timbers gave way. The beast was making its way in!

Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 3:53 am
by Mr. Handy

Bonnie holds a finger to her lips and remains motionless.

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:46 pm
by Philulhu
There was another splintering sound from downstairs, followed by the sound of timber clattering on stone. Part of the door must have been broken off and fallen onto the floor.

There were further sounds of violence as the door was vigorously shaken back and forth.

McBride whimpered… …

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:41 am
by Mr. Handy

Bonnie holds still, emphasizing again with her finger the need for absolute silence. Although surely the beast can hear the pounding of her heart...

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:43 am
by BoyBlunder78
Heart pounding, Dr Douglas holds the small bone handled knife tightly in his hand, eyes glued to the door, attempting to control his breathing.

Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:37 pm
by Philulhu
From below, there was a triumphant howl as the door timbers finally gave up under the creature’s relentless battering! McBride shot to his feet, eyes wide with terror! “We’ve got to get out!” he screamed! He ran for the door and started to tear down the makeshift barricade!

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:05 am
by Mr. Handy

"Leave the barricade alone, and keep quiet!' hisses Bonnie in a soft but urgent tone. "You'll bring it down on all of us!"

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:28 am
by Snapper

Ascot holds up an urgent warning hand to Bonnie and the others, but makes no threatening move towards McBride. "Don't try to stop him, he still has the revolver. No point getting shot before the thing below even gets here. We'll rebuild the barricade after."

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:14 pm
by Philulhu
With a loud screech, McBride hauled open the door and with a haunted look at the four investigators, he turned and ran for the stairs on the other side of the Manor House, presumably hoping to sneak out while the creature sought out another meal, or four… … …

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:09 pm
by Mr. Handy

Bonnie quickly closes the door and begins to reassemble the barricade while making as little noise as possible.

Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:34 am
by Snapper

Ascot stands guard, ready to attack anything with his cutlass while Bonnie works.

Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:02 am
by BoyBlunder78
Dr Douglas moves quickly to assist Bonnie in securing the room. " I know its not exactiy christian but i hope the beast follows the fresh scent of piss and goes after the new quarry!" He whispers.

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:31 am
by BoyBlunder78
OOC:   Could i look through McMorns journal to see if there is any clue on how to banish this creature?  

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:33 am
by Snapper

Ascot clears his throat, slightly embarrassed. "Doctor, I know the situation is a bit grim, and I'm sure behind closed doors you medical chaps are used to talking much more freely, but remember there's a lady present. No offence meant, of course."

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:39 am
by BoyBlunder78
"Of course, apologies Miss MacKenzie
i.just forgot myself in the current situation."
Dr Douglas nods sheepishly at Bonnie.

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:05 pm
by Joajackson
The Father Ó Shaban kept his praying stance, he was an elderly priest, not really able to help defend the place if the creature came trough. This meant also that he was quite silent and unmoving, not that it mattered all that much with McBride's actions.

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:53 pm
by Philulhu
You can read the journal. A library use roll would seem the most appropriate, unless you can think of anything else.

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 12:06 am
by BoyBlunder78
library use it is....
1d100[ is it worth 15 points of luck......? :ugeek: /Spoiler-Button]

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:41 am
by Mr. Handy

"Dinna fash," whispers Bonnie as she works. "I've said worse myself."

I'd recommend it!

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:29 am
by BoyBlunder78
I'll spend the luck to make it a success!

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:34 pm
by Philulhu
As Dr Douglas leafed through the journal, the scrap of paper that had been tucked inside fell out and fluttered to the floor. The paper with the strange words that he had read before, “NIHAR CTHOR HAG NAATHI IST’HE GHLAN GHEIHNT’HOR.”

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:57 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Looking to his companions, holding the scrap of paper in his hands. "McMorns journal describes this creature and how its summoned. This scrap paper has a starnge phrase, possibly an incantation. Now this may banish the abomination or make our predictament even graver. I soke this phrase once before when we checking the trees and nothing happened, hopefully a sign that it isnt a summoning phrase. Dare I read it now?"

Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"I dinna ken if it will work without the beastie here," whispers Bonnie, "or at all, but it's our best chance. Let's keep quiet for now, but if it finds us and tries to break in the door, then try the chant. If that doesna work, try it backwards. We willna have anything to lose at that point."

Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:34 am
by Snapper

Ascot looks at Dr Douglas with a raised eyebrow and speaks quietly. "Doctor, I admit that the witch doctors back home give me the willies. But I don't believe in incantations and spells."

"This creature is some monster out of the dark recesses of Africa, of which there are many. But I don't think it's a devil anymore than I think a lion is a devil."

"If I had my rifle, I could prove the point, eh?"

Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:18 pm
by BoyBlunder78
"Being a medical man and a man of science, i too am sceptical of these other worldly theories. However there is something unnatural about these current events, and this creature. It maybe a hitherto unknown predator from deepest darkest Africa, but seeing the detritus it has left behind over many years and that there was no trace of thus creature that even an experienced hunter like yourself could find and the carnage we have just witnessed, there is something.....wrong about this whole predicament. " replied Dr Douglas.

Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:47 am
by Snapper

Ascot shrugs amicably, having no wish to fall out shortly before he and his colleagues were probably about to die horribly.

Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:50 pm
by Philulhu
Half an hour passed, then an hour. The darkness was near total, except for what moonlight seeped in through the windows and the occasional flash of luminescence from the hands of a pocket watch as the time was checked once again.

From the rest of the house, there was near silence except for the occasional creak or groan of a floorboard. For the four barricaded in the bedroom, they could only wonder what had happened to Dr McBride. Had he escaped? But if he had, surely he would have summoned help? Or was he still here, he and the creature creeping around in the darkness, hunter and pray locked in a silent battle to outwit the other?

Suddenly, the silence was broken as a gunshot rang out, quickly followed by a high-pitched whine as it ricocheted off into the depths of the castle - McBride must have taken a shot and missed! There was the sound of pounding footsteps, racing over the floor towards them, followed by a strange ‘chonk-chonk’ like wooden poles being banged on a wooden floor!

Then McBride was at the door, hammering madly! “Let me in!” he screamed. “Let me in! The beast is upon me and I will surely die if you do not let me in!”

Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 5:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"Do we open it?" whispers Bonnie. "That thing must be right behind him."

Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:04 am
by Snapper

The darkened figure of Ascot shakes his head vehemently and whispers hoarsely. "No, he has made his bed. He forced us here at gunpoint, putting us in grave danger, and showed every sign of being willing to shoot us. Then he abandoned us. He's on his own now and good riddance."

Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:59 pm
by BoyBlunder78
" I'm afraid i must concur woth Ascot he's the reason we are here so woefully under prepared and he left us in this room to die when he barged out at gun point. This whole time he thought of botuing but himself and his greed. If the tables were turned he gladly put a bullet in our heads than open this door to any of us." Dr Douglas nods gravely.

Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:53 pm
by Mr. Handy

Bonnie nods, sadly. If it were only her own life at risk, she might have taken a chance, but she has no right to risk the lives of the others in this room.

Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:40 pm
by Philulhu
“Argh! Arrgh! Aiiiieeeeee!!!” came McBride’s screams from the other side of the door, which shook alarmingly as the creature slammed into the door, extinguishing the life of their erstwhile protagonist.

In the moonlight, a dark stain started to spread under the door from the other side…

SAN checks, please.

Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:37 pm
by Mr. Handy

Bonnie maintains her stiff upper lip, and the rest of her remains just as motionless and silent.

Sanity roll (current level 65) for McBride's death:
d%

Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:00 pm
by Philulhu
1%?! Ooh, that’s cold!

“McBride? Who the f**k’s McBride?” said Bonnie dismissively… ;p

Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:38 pm
by BoyBlunder78
1d100

Dr Douglas solemnly lowers his head closing his eyes. Thinking thank christ it's not him.

Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:38 am
by Snapper

1d%49%

OOC:   Success.  

In the darkness, Ascot clenches his jaw manfully and tightens his grip on the cutlass, determined to protect his newfound friends.

Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:48 am
by Philulhu
Father Ó Shaban - SAN (60) 1d100

SAN loss for Father Ó Shaban (1d10) 1d10

SAN loss for everyone else making their rolls - 1 point.

How’s everyone doing, SAN wise?

Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:20 pm
by Joajackson
The Father Ó Shaban that had stated in his praying position during this entire thing, still kept it, staying silently. As the blood of MacBride passed under the door, the old man started praying in arabic in a low voice. There were two dead men, and he wasnt completely sure there wouldnt be a third of fourth before the end of the night.

Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:24 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Dr Douglas has lost 5. 3 to go befire the fun starts......

Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:29 am
by Snapper
  Ascot has now lost a combined total of 2 points.  

Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:42 am
by Mr. Handy

So has Bonnie, presuming she still loses one here even with a 1 on the Sanity roll.

Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:37 pm
by Philulhu
Well, it was a critical roll, so I’ll let Bonnie keep that one!

1d100

They didn’t need to be able to see the events on the other side of the door, because the sound of crunching bones left nothing to the imagination. It lasted for around ten minutes before it went quiet again, disturbed only by a hollow-sounding ‘tonking’ noise on the door itself. It took a moment or two to understand what was happening… … it seemed that the creature had heard Father Ó Shaban’s low prayers and was now investigating the door!

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:39 am
by Mr. Handy

Bonnie holds a finger to her lips again, making absolutely no noise.

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:51 am
by Snapper

Ascot holds absolutely still, hardly daring even to breathe, but ready to hurl himself at the door if it starts being pushed open.

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:03 am
by BoyBlunder78
Eyes wide in horror, sweat beginning to appear on his brow, feeling his heart pounding Dr Douglas stands transfixed, eyes locked on the door.

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:44 pm
by Philulhu
Just waiting to see what Father Ó Shaban’s gonna do…

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:02 am
by Joajackson
Sorry for taking long, the page Is not sending me notifications correctly

The Father hearing the creature seemingly listening to the door, stopped his low prayer. It was clear that the Lord desired quiet meditation, if he didnt, then the beast would have already left, so he continued in his praying position without speaking.

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:26 pm
by Philulhu
Can I have a group luck roll, please? I think Ascot has the lowest.

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:28 pm
by Snapper
  Unsurprising.  

1d%L30%

Definite Fail.  

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:53 pm
by Philulhu
Oh dear…

1d100

The noise came to a halt then there was a roar that sounded uncannily like wind howling through the trees on the stormiest of nights and an almighty crash that split the door in two, sending splinters of wood flying into the room!

Two claws like the questing roots of a tree slipped through the gap and heaved, causing a plank to break in two and the angular face of creature could be seen beyond, like carved wood in the shape of the statue, except this had a maw that dripped with bloody teeth!

SAN checks, please!

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:34 pm
by BoyBlunder78
1d100
OOC:   er.........  

Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:03 am
by Philulhu
Generally not, no. I’ll confirm SAN loss once everyone has rolled, speaking of which…

Father Ó Shaban (SAN 56) - 1d100

Oops! 😬

Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:45 am
by Snapper

1d%48

Success.  

Ascot yells over his shoulder, "Doctor! Try your spell!" Then he turns to face the creature, feet firmly planted, cutlass up, and yells at it, hoping to scare it off. "Yarr! Yarr! Go home! Bad dog!"

Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:40 am
by Mr. Handy

Bonnie screams like a banshee when she sees the creature, trying to avoid it.

Sanity roll (current level 64) for seeing the creature:
d%

Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:08 pm
by Joajackson
The Father was not calm, it seemed that a tiger-leopard-monstruosity was entering the room, and he was an elderly man with artritis. And so, he rushedly manner moved himself to the fartest distance away from the beast.

Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:54 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Dr Douglas backs from the door, eyes wide..."Yes!,Yes!, the words.. " His mind reeling as he sees the monstrosity breaking through, the words fumbling in his mind, hands shaking, attempting to open the journal.

Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:40 pm
by Philulhu
Ascot made his roll so just loses 1 point of SAN. For everyone else who failed:

Bonnie 1d6
Dr Douglas 1d6
Father Ó Shaban 1d6

I’d imagine that Bonnie can absorb that loss and can act freely but I’ll need INT rolls from Dr Douglas and Father Ó Shaban, which you really want to fail…

Dr D can do his own but FÓS has issues with the dice roller so I’ll need to do his. Here goes (INT - 64)… 1d100

Fortunately for the good Father, his mind suppresses the horror of what he is witnessing although the experience has affected him in some way. In moving to “the fartest part of the room” it appears that his bowels may have deserted him… 😉

Once Dr D has made his roll, I’ll update again.

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:11 am
by BoyBlunder78
OOC:   gulp.....Int 75%...  
1d100
OH FFS!!....REALLY!! :o :lol:

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:20 am
by Philulhu
Ooh! Just sneaked in there! 😬🤣

Look at those teeth! Those sharp, pointy, bloody teeth! Dr D has developed a bout of Phagophobia, the fear of swallowing, eating or being eaten. The effects will last for some rounds (I’ll let you know when it wears off).

Actions will be in DEX order:

Creature (?), Father Ó Shaban (60), Ascot (50), Bonnie (45), Dr Douglas (30).

Feel free to post in any order, though.

1d100

The door timbers creaked alarmingly as the tendrils tightened but for now, they held! The creature’s head stretched through the gap, trying to snap at anyone within range!

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:57 am
by BoyBlunder78
Looking at the glistening, blood drenched teeth of the abomination, Dr Douglas cries our in despair, recoiling in terror as he sees the blood dripping from the fangs, fling his arms infront of his face and with it the journal goes flying through the air. "Keep it away from me....the teeth, the fangs...the gnashing...it will consume us all......swallow our souls...!"

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:23 pm
by Joajackson
The Father really had nothing that interesting to do, as he could only coward away from the creature, as an old man without any real ability for this conflict situation.

Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:14 am
by Snapper
  Because Ascot's Boxing is greater than 50%, he gets a 10% bonus, I believe, to other Fighting skills, bringing his Sword skill to 30%.

Not sure if this is a medium or heavy sword: 1d6+1 or 1d8+1 base damage.  

Ascot slashes at the creature's face, all the while yelling fit to wake the dead. Mostly: "Go home!! Bad dog!!"

1d%d30%

Unfortunately, a miss.  

Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:56 am
by Mr. Handy

Bonnie snatches up the discarded journal, opens it to the chant, and begins to recite it.

Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:01 am
by BoyBlunder78
Dr Douglas still cowering in the corner, can't help but turn his face to the door, the creatures head protruding further into the room, he sees Ascot raise his sword, mouth wide, but something is wrong....As he looks to strike the creature his face turns to me.His mouth opening wider and wider, his teeth becoming more pronounced, elongation, his jaw widening, saliva dripping from his new fangs. Panicking he turns to Bonnie seeing her holding the journal, attempting to read the words. But then she turns to face him. A smile spreading across her face, but it doesn't stop, no smile is that wide surely??!! He sees the skin crack and split at the corners of her mouth, blood trickling down her jaw as it starts to lengthen her teeth, just like Ascot start changing, lengthening turning to fangs he sees a great tongue glide over her newly formed fangs as if testing there sharpness.
Eyes wide at the horror he perceives in front of him......for now he sees not one bit three creatures infront of him. Two wearing the skins of his former friends. Yelling in absolute terror "ABOMINATIONS, YOUR ALL ABOMINATIONS HERE TO FEAST ON US ALL!!!" As he holds his arms up, wrapping them around his head so jot to stare at this vision.

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:30 am
by Philulhu
1d100

Again the creature shook the door but its age-hardened timbers stood up to the assault and it could only snarl and snap from the other side!

The letters on the page were familiar to Bonnie but the words made no sense, being just a jumble of alien sounds that tied her tongue in knots!

Bonnie has no Cthulhu Mythos, I think, so can I have a language check (your choice, but presumably English) to see how she gets on at her attempted pronunciation?

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:45 am
by Mr. Handy

Bonnie manages the chant well enough, grateful for her higher education.

Own Language: English roll (80% base skill) to chant:
d%
I can spend 2 Luck to make that a hard success if it helps.

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:23 pm
by Philulhu
The room was a cacophony of sounds; the snarling of the creature, the manic bellowing of Dr Douglas, the murmured prayers of Father Ó Shaban and the shouted instructions of Ascot, but through all of that, the clear voice of Bonnie Mackenzie rang out, the alien words delivered in her clipped, Scottish tones, “NIHAR CTHOR HAG NAATHI IST’HE GHLAN GHEIHNT’HOR!”

There was an immediate silence, as if sound itself had been sucked from the room, then an almighty roar from the creature at the door! It was propelled backwards at force, the suddenness of its departure not giving it time to release its hold on the doors, which splintered and broke with the force exerted upon them. The four investigators briefly saw the creature’s snarling visage before it disappeared in the direction of the nearest stairwell, whereupon its howls traced its progress through house and into the grounds outside before it was suddenly suppressed, leaving the night as still and silent as a tomb… …

Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:31 am
by Joajackson
The Father seeing the creature dissapear proclaimed quite openly and with almost joyous surprise some words in arabic.

"Allahu akbar ghadar alwahsh, alhamd lilah."

After this, he started praying, seemingly thanking god for being alive.

Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:33 am
by Snapper

Ascot looks utterly stunned for a few seconds but visibly shakes his head, trying to start thinking again.

"Good job, Miss Mackenzie, and I take back everything I said about spells. Except being wary of witch doctors, eh. Now, for the love of god, let's get out of here and back to the village."

"Keep an eye out for McBride's revolver. If anyone sees it, grab it."

Cutlass up, Ascot leads the way.

Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:24 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank ye kindly," says Bonnie, handing the journal back and swiping her hands together as she follows him. "That's that sorted, then. I'll take the shotgun. I dinna ken what the words mean, but it's good to know my ability to drive others off with my mouth also works on beasties."

Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:47 pm
by BoyBlunder78
OOC:   am i still in my bout?  

Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:28 pm
by Philulhu
OOC:   Most definitely!  

Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:55 am
by BoyBlunder78
Reaching up to take the journal from Bonnie, Dr Douglas breathes a sigh of relief as he glances at the space where the creature once was. "Oh thank god! The spell worked!" a smile spreading across his lips.......slowly turning into a grimace of fear as he glances at Bonnies face.....her visage still distorted...her mouth still a huge distended maw, saliva dripping as she spoke, her mouth chomping down as she spoke, although Dr Douglas took no heed of the words, as his eyes wide in terror as they snapped to Ascot, beholding the same terrible image. Withdrawing further into the corner of the room, clutching the journal tightly, daring not to glance at Father O'Shaban. " No!No! NO! NOOOOO! Its gone wrong!!! Your faces!!Your mouthes!!! WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO YOUR MOUTHES!!!YOUR ALL BECOMING THE CREATURE!!!"

Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:02 am
by Mr. Handy

"I assure you, Doctor, we're all fine," says Bonnie. "It's over."

Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:19 am
by BoyBlunder78
"Keep away from me!! Your all gonna eat me!! Swallow my soul with your monstrous maws!!!!" shrieked the Doctor. pulling out the small bone handled knife and holding it out infront of himself, swishing it erratically back and forth

Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:50 am
by Snapper

"His mind has snapped. Whether forever or just for a time, we will have to wait and see. We used to see this often during the War. Unfortunately, we seem to have run out of doctors, so he'll have to go to hospital, somehow."

"If we start moving downstairs, hopefully he will follow us. Or do you think I should try to restrain him?"

Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:36 pm
by Joajackson
The Father has managed to finally remember what english was, and was both very confused, considerably scared, and definitely tense. He really was not looking forward to leaving the room.

"Ze Doctorr's panic is surely to pass, Sir Ascot, inshallah. But if ze prredator is still roaming, leaving ze weak minded alone shall be terrible. I doubt ze man can be safely rrestrained as it is."

Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:34 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I wouldna try to restrain him," says Bonnie, "not while he's waving that knife aboot."

Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 2:27 am
by Snapper

Ascot nods his understanding. "That's two votes against restraining him. I believe I could do it without getting badly hurt, but I'm sure you're both wiser than me. Let's hope compassion is a better tactic than my wrestling and he follows us."

Ascot looks to Douglas. "Doctor, please follow us, we won't try to harm you." Then he starts down the stairs cautiously.

Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:34 am
by BoyBlunder78
Curled up in the corner, gibbering in fear, "Horrible, evil, gnashing maws of death, black holes of decay swallowing my soul, ALL our souls!" still waving his knife, his breathing steadying as he sees Ascot turn his back and leave the room.

Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:51 am
by Philulhu
Are you staying with Dr Douglas or following Ascot?

Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:26 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I think the beastie is gone," says Bonnie, following Ascot. "If not, he has the journal. I dinna think he wants us near him now, and there's naught we could do to protect him if we stayed. Hopefully he'll come to his senses soon and follow us out."

Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:37 am
by Joajackson
The Father followed with Ascot and Bonnie, for he was really just an scared old man at this point. He did it while praying, for there were two new bodies claimed by the Lord, and the destiny of their souls deserves his care.

Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:57 am
by BoyBlunder78
Dr Douglas watched as the rest of the group left the room before slowly getting to his feet. Journal clasped tightly in one hand, dagger in the other and slowly walked to the door way. Peering slowly around the corner, making sure that he was alone before making his way out.

Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:31 pm
by Philulhu
Ascot found McBride’s revolver discarded in a pool of blood on the floor. Leading away into a thankfully be-shadowed corner, were two bloody streaks on the floor. Whether the beast had dragged the doctor there to feed or whether the doctor had tried to crawl away to some semblance of safety wasn’t clear, but it was clearly moot, as there was neither sound nor movement, indicating that their erstwhile foe was no more.

Making their way through the silent Manor House, trailed by Dr Douglas (who would shy away from their sharp white teeth in their blood-flecked maws when any of them turned to check he was still there), Ascot, Bonnie and Father Ó Shaban emerged from the entrance into the rain that still fell steadily from the sky.

In front of them, stood one of the strange African trees, but not as they had previously seen it. It had been tall and straight, but now the trunk was warped and buckled, as if twisted out of shape by an almighty force…

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:52 am
by Mr. Handy

Bonnie looks around for Willie's body, and his shotgun.

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:05 am
by Philulhu
The eviscerated corpse of Willie Stewart lay on the ground, mangled and torn, with his shotgun nearby.

Can I have a luck roll and a SAN roll, please.

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:43 am
by Snapper

Revolver in hand and cutlass tucked through his belt, Ascot stares at the warped tree in horror and suspicion. "What has happened here? Are even these strange African trees not to be trusted?"

"Whatever the case, let's get us back to the public house and some hope of safety. And we must get Dr Douglas some help. Or whisky."

Trying to keep the others close (Douglas excepted), Ascot warily heads back towards the village.

Are there any beastie tracks to be seen?  

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:00 am
by BoyBlunder78
Surveying the carnage all around him Dr Douglas gingerly steps through and over all the blood and remains, before fixing his gaze on the gnarled, mangled tree infront of him, shuddering he sees the others in the distance and begins to follow, journal and knife still clutched tightly in his hand, eyes wide, jumping at every sound, expecting the creature to reappear at any moment.

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:51 pm
by Philulhu
Ascot could see that the tracks led straight to the tree and, as he drew closer, he could determine the cause of the misshapen trunk.

The bulges were what protruded of the creature’s limbs as it had fought its reabsorption into the tree. Circumnavigating the trunk, he saw another protrusion on the other side and found himself staring up at the silent, screaming maw, now at one with its timbers host once more.

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:52 pm
by Joajackson
The Father continued his prayer as he followed Sir Ascot. And being near him, he would presumably soon see the strange deformed shape of the tree and its incomprehensible cause. If that was to happen, the Father was surely to declare quite a viciously considerable amount of insults in arabic. For this was clearly proof of demonic influences.

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:19 am
by Mr. Handy

"Bloody hell," mutters Bonnie when she sees the remains, thus demonstrating that she does say worse things than the gentlemen. While she takes them in stride, the shotgun doesn't look to be in good shape.

Luck roll (55% stat) finding the body and shotgun:
d%
Sanity roll (current level 61) for finding Willie:
d%

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:03 am
by Snapper

Ascot reels away from the tree and its monster, his simple mind in turmoil and horror at this unnatural sight. Revolver pointed safely at the night sky, he frantically continues to urge his two sane colleagues away, trying to keep them moving, watch the suspect tree, and watch for more monsters all at the same time.

As he does, he whispers hoarsely, "Hush! It's in the tree, or the tree has grown around it, or something. But we need to get away now before it wakes again. Hurry, we must get back to the village. And the poor Doctor seems to be following us, at least."

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:57 am
by Philulhu
They staggered through the muddy woods, stumbling over tree roots, every shadow a threat, every moment expecting something to leap out at them! Soaked with rain, bloodied by thorns and muddied up to the eyeballs, the were mightily relieved when the lights of Strathmorn suddenly twinkled through the trees, giving them renewed hope!

Almost running to the inn, they shoved the door open into the bar. Mrs McPherson looked up sharply from the person she was serving, blinking at the unexpected intrusion. Visibly taken aback at their appearance, she put the glass down unsteadily upon the bar, causing the liquid to slop over the rim and run down her fingers.

“Good Lord! What on earth has happened tae ye?!” she exclaimed.

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:52 pm
by Joajackson
The Father Ó Shaban really was quite prepared to be intensive for wathever had just happened, but also was incredibly tired and weak.

"Ze Prredator! A beast, inshallah!"

With this declared, he would do everything he could to get to change his clothes, meaning in the privacy of a room, bathroom or equivalent, because he wasnt insane yet. And if possible, to take a bath.

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:11 pm
by BoyBlunder78
  Still crazy?  

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:16 pm
by Philulhu
Dr Douglas is still feeling the effects of his break from his reality and will continue to hang back from the others. As far as he is concerned, looking through the pub window (after the others have gone in, naturally) all he can see is his friends and a number of others conversing with their large, blood-flecked mouths… 😬

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:15 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Philulhu wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:16 pm
Dr Douglas is still feeling the effects of his break from his reality and will continue to hang back from the others. As far as he is concerned, looking through the pub window (after the others have gone in, naturally) all he can see is his friends and a number of others conversing with their large, blood-flecked mouths… 😬
  What he said......plus...  
Seeing the hotel full of these abominations Dr Douglas whimpering cowers down under the window frame, wondwring how he is goinf to survive the night, ket alone get to the safety of his room.

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:29 am
by Snapper

Ascot had hastily stashed the revolver in his coat pocket before walking through the door. Grateful beyond reason to be in even this unwelcoming public house, nonetheless, he tries to get his addled wits together to make a plan. One that didn't involve panicking or getting lynched by the unwelcoming locals.

Ascot looks at Father Shaban, finger to his lips. "Hush Father, you are exhausted. Bath, dry clothes, bed, I recommend, eh?"

Then he turns to Mrs McPherson. "Madam, I am afraid we went out in the dark, and we've been blundering about trying to find our way back. We've all grown soft in big towns and cities, we forget how easy and dangerous it is to get lost, somewhere as wild and rugged as Strathmorn."

"I would be grateful if you could pour us a whisky each to warm our bones, then we will need to get cleaned up. And I must needs make a phone call. And I think we better make a call on the good Reverend in the morning too."

Ascot looks at his colleagues meaningfully, hoping they will agree with his plan.

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:23 am
by Mr. Handy

Bonnie nods, too numb to add anything else.

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:14 am
by Philulhu
That sounds like a Persuade roll to me, a hard one given your appearance and Father Ó Shaban’s outburst.

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:38 am
by Snapper

1d%pd40%

That's a straight fail.  

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:06 pm
by Philulhu
Mrs McPherson looked at Ascot suspiciously. Clearly there was more going on than he was letting on!

“I dinnae think so,” she said firmly. She moved around from behind the bar, the half dozen or so patrons now giving Ascot, Bonnie and Father Ó Shaban their full attention.

“Ye sit down and I’ll fetch ye some blankets. Frankie, ye pour these people a drink. Jamie - can ye go and fetch Dr McBride and we’ll get these cuts and bruises seen tae?” she said.

Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:20 am
by Snapper

Ascot is exhausted and out of ideas. He looks at his colleagues helplessly.

"I just need to telephone the Reverend, rather urgently. Won't take but a minute."

Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:48 am
by Mr. Handy

"Dinna fash, Jamie. Dr. McBride is oot," says Bonnie. She won't have him going out and putting himself in danger, especially since the man he seeks cannot come.

Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:54 am
by BoyBlunder78
Now and then Dr Douglas peeks his head up at the window before ducking back down as he sees the monstrous blood encrusted gateways to death glistening with saliva on all the patrons in the bar.
  "Be brave Doctor, if i I can just get through the bar, its plain sailing to the sanctuary of my room."  

Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:07 am
by Philulhu
“Oot oan a night like this?” said Mrs McPherson, peering out of the window into the wet, blustery night. “Some poor soul must be ill. Jamie - just leave a note instead. He’ll come when he’s able.”

Jamie, a hulking young farmer, drained his pint, picked up his shotgun bag from by the door and headed out into the night.

Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:40 am
by Snapper

Ascot staggers off to use the hotel pay phone to make a call to the good Reverend, hoping he's awake or answering calls at least.

Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:35 pm
by Joajackson
The Father would not accept drinks, but would accept help. And then insist that that help helped it to a place in which he could change, and or take a bath.

Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:31 pm
by Philulhu
Hamish was roused from his slumbers and came down to help Father Ó Shaban. Clearly still half-asleep he looked decidedly nonplussed by his master’s sudden reappearance.

When Ascot’s call was put through, Reverend MacAllan’s housekeeper answered the telephone and it took a few moments before she could understand Ascot well enough to go and fetch the Reverend. It was a further couple of minutes before he came to the telephone.

Mr Ascot, he said wearily. ”What can I do for you now?”

Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:21 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Philulhu wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:07 am “Oot oan a night like this?” said Mrs McPherson, peering out of the window into the wet, blustery night. “Some poor soul must be ill. Jamie - just leave a note instead. He’ll come when he’s able.”

Jamie, a hulking young farmer, drained his pint, picked up his shotgun bag from by the door and headed out into the night.
Seeing Jamie leave, Dr Douglas moved around the corner, trying to keep out of sight while he tried to regain his composure.

Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 5:28 am
by Mr. Handy

Bonnie figures that Jamie should be okay as long as he goes nowhere near the manor, and she wouldn't be able to protect him anyway if she were to follow him. She goes with Ascot to the phone.

Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:00 am
by Snapper

Ascot tries to get his wits, never his strong point, together.

"Reverend, you were right all along. There are unnatural creatures up at the manor. Demonic even. And somehow connected to those African trees up there."

"We were kidnapped earlier this evening from the village by Dr McBride and Willie, who was working for him. McBride is the missing heir to the manor. They forced us up to the manor at night, at gun point. McBride thought there was treasure, gold to be had and we'd discovered it. Nothing could be further from the truth."

"Then one of these creatures attacked them and killed them both. We barely escaped with our lives. Poor Dr Douglas had quite lost his wits from the experience."

"My next call will be to the police in Inverness but they may not be able to get here until the morning. I am fearful when I tell the locals what has happened, they may either attack us or decide to head up to the manor now. Either would be bad."

"As a good protestant, I give you my word this strange story is true. I'm pleading with you to come down to the public house now to help me talk to the local people. We can head up in the morning but they must stay away from the manor while it's dark."

Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:11 am
by Philulhu
Spot hidden 1d100

A man stepped out of the inn with a shotgun over his arm and started to make his way down the street, shoulders hunched against the steady drizzle that filled the night air. He passed Dr Douglas skulking by the window, then paused and turned around, stepping back and shifting the grip on his weapon.

”Who’s there? Show yerself!” he said, his sharp teeth glinting in the light from the inn window…

There was a pause at the other end of the line as Reverend MacAllan tried to take on board everything Ascot was telling him.

Finally, there was a heavy sigh. ”Well, either ye’re telling the truth or ye’ve gone start raving mad. Either way, it sounds like ye need ma help. I’ll be along shortly,” he said shortly, before putting down the phone.

There was a solid-sounding ‘thunk!’ and some muttered cursing as Hamish once again forgot to duck as he entered their shared room. ”Yer bath’s runnin’,” he said. He swallowed hard and carried on, ”Ye’ll be gettin’ oan all right oan yer own? Ye’ll no be expecting me tae bathe ye, will ye?”

Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:53 am
by BoyBlunder78
Seeing the abomination before him, with a shotgun no less. Dr Douglas cries out in fear holding up the knife infont of him, journal clasped to his chest. " STAY BACK! KEEP AWAY FROM ME YOU CREATURE FROM THE DARKEST DEPTHS OF HELL!!!" Before turning around a fleeing into the darkness.

Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:20 pm
by Philulhu
Shotgun 1d100

Shotgun pellets peppered the wall above Dr Douglas’ head and the gutting and roof tiles on the cottage were demolished! As he disappeared into the darkness, the last thing he heard was ”Awww, shite…”

At the same time that Father Ó Shaban was lowering himself/being lowered into his bath and Ascot and Bonnie we’re returning to the bar to face the wary stares of the locals, a sudden shotgun blast rent the night air…

Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:27 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Philulhu wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:20 pm
Shotgun 1d100
:shock:

Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:30 pm
by Philulhu
He was aiming to miss - if he’d fumbled (95+) then the good doctor would have been picking buckshot out of his arse for a week! :shock:

Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:38 pm
by Snapper

Finishing his call with the Reverend, Ascot sighs then puts through a call to the constabulary in Inverness...

Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:47 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Philulhu wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:30 pm
He was aiming to miss - if he’d fumbled (95+) then the good doctor would have been picking buckshot out of his arse for a week! :shock:
  oooof....soooo close...  
Yelling in surprise and horror as the shotgun blast tears into the ground by his feet, scattering earth into the air, Dr Douglas sharply changes direction, bolting further into the night, his heart almost bursting out of his chest.

Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:06 pm
by Philulhu
The village being small it was a matter of moments before Dr Douglas found himself running along a country lane, hedged in on both sides. Up ahead, he could see a wide gate on the left and stile on the left.

Unlike his call to the Reverend, Ascot found his call answered promptly. “Inverness Polis Station. Serjeant Lorimer speaking. Whit can I do fer ye?”

Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:45 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Weighing up his options Dr Douglas decides to tackle the stile in a bid to lose his pursuers across the field, hoping to find somewhere to hide to the safety of sunrise.....

Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:32 pm
by Joajackson
The Father Ó Shaban was old and tires, but he could deal with a bath alone. At the same time though, it seemed that the people outside were shouting and shotgunning. He did a small prayer that no one was dead, and tried to bath somewhat quiker. Whatever was happening, almost surely would not get to where he was, and he could almost nothing to help.

Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:29 pm
by Mr. Handy

Bonnie carefully looks outside in the direction of the shot.

Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:25 am
by Snapper

Ascot wonders what is going on outside but hopes Miss Mackenzie will call him if it's serious. Otherwise, bigger problems call his attention.

"Sergeant, my name is Hugo Ascot, I'm a guest at the hotel in Strathmorn. Your Constable Leslie had some, ah, interactions with me and my colleagues much earlier today."

"I must tell you something terrible has happened. Two local men have been killed up at the manor by, ah, some kind of African wild animal. The same creature that killed the local, Donald McColl. We think the creature's ancestors were brought to the manor many years ago by the last laird, and they have been living up there ever since."

"We don't think the creature or its kin will come away from the manor, so the village is safe. We are going to ask the local reverend to convince everyone here to stay away from the manor till the morning."

"And the, ah, remains of two men killed are still up at the manor too. Much like it sounds was the case with McColl, they are in a most terrible state."

Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:50 am
by Philulhu
Dr Douglas made short work of the stile but when he dropped down onto the other side, he found himself ankle deep in mud. Hanging onto the stile he was able to extricate his feet with a loud, flatulent squelch which he feared would draw attention to himself. Thankfully nothing seemed to have noticed.

He set off across the field away from the village, following a well-trodden muddy path. His feet slipped in the mud as he walked but at least it helped the path stand out against the surrounding grass in the darkness. It only took about a minute to cross to the other side of the field where he spotted another stile. As he drew closer, he was suddenly aware that he was surrounding by a number of large, silent creatures, standing at least as high as shoulder height on him.

With relief, Dr Douglas realised the immobile sentinels were a heard of cows! Carefully he stepped through the mud and approached the stile, at which point the nearest animal groaned and lifted its head, studying him with large brown mournful eyes over an extended maw with rows of sharp, blood-flecked teeth…

There was a moment’s silence, then, “Can ye repeat that please, Mr Ascot? Two dead at Strathmorn, is that correct? And ye’d be the gentlemen who came tae see wee Jamie McLeod the other day?”

Bonnie could see Jamie shouting at someone down the street as he re-loaded his shotgun…

Father Ó Shaban shifted uncomfortably in his bath. Something was pushing into his lower back, something that was thrusting upwards! Sitting up quickly, he looked behind to see a brightly-painted yellow duck bob to the surface…

Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:13 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Dr Douglas sigh of relief is short lived as he sees the monstrous masticating bovine beast staring at him, long strands of saliva and blood hanging, swaying from its elongated jaw. His arms up warding the creature away as he stumbles back into the stile, losing his footing as he slips, heading backwards over the stile.

Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:47 pm
by Joajackson
The absolute horror of the yellow duck bob seemingly confused the priest, he wasnt expecting that. Most people presumed that as a copt, he would be confused by the strange creations of the West. But his house was in Boston, so the ducky was fine for him, he was just confused for a small village in Scotland having one.

Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:27 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Jamie, what are ye shooting at?" calls Bonnie out the door after running to it.

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:20 am
by Philulhu
Bonnie is, I believe, still inside the inn. She saw Jamie through the window (sorry - should have made that clear in my post).

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:26 am
by Snapper

Spoiler:
Ascot winces, wondering how credible he sounds to the local police after their various failed interactions with Constable Leslie.

"Yes, two men are dead, up at the manor."

"And you are correct, although I wasn't there myself, those were my colleagues visiting young McLeod."

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:04 am
by Mr. Handy

Edited my post. I had intended to look out the front door.

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:37 pm
by Philulhu
Fortunately for Dr Douglas, the ground on the other side of the stile was relatively firm so he didn’t get any more muddy. The downside was that it was firm enough so that when he fell, he was winded and for a few moments all he could do was lie on his back looking at the stars.

That quickly passed, however, and the Doctor was soon back up on his feet again. He could hear the animals on the other side of the hedge but thankfully couldn’t see them in the gloom. Looking around, the field stretched away into the darkness left and right, with another faint path leading straight on. On a rise, forward and left of where he stood, he could see a building from which light was showing.

“Right ye are, Sir. And where are ye now? The Strathmorn Hotel? Right, I need ye tae make sure nae one goes outside. We’ll be with ye as soon as possible!” replied Serjeant Lorimer briskly.

Jamie snapped his shotgun closed, holding it ready should he need it again. ”Someone was skulkin’ in the bushes, Miss,” he replied, nodding in the direction of the bushes under the window. ”Wi’ the beastie aboot, ye cannae be too careful so I sent him on his way wi’ a warnin’ shot.”

If only the infidels would stop shouting and firing their guns, the good father might be able to rest and enjoy his bath for a while…

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:07 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Looking towards the building Dr Douglas gingerly makes his way towards the light, holding his bruised ribs he makes way, hoping to possibly find some sanctuary from the creatures he finds himself hounded by.

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:43 am
by Snapper

Spoiler:
Ascot wonders where Douglas currently is but says nothing about that problem.

"Thank you for your prompt assistance, Sergeant. I'll keep everyone inside the hotel."

"We'll feel much better once the police are here. Goodbye."

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:12 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, best not to shoot him for real," says Bonnie. "He's far more likely to be a man." She peers into the bushes to see if anyone is in them.

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:35 pm
by Philulhu
Drawing closer, Dr Douglas could see it was a farm that he was approaching. The farm buildings looked to be built around a small yard, with the farmhouse on the right, a long low building straight ahead and a barn to the left. A low wall appeared to link all three together, probably a relic of a more violent past when defence against reivers and the English soldiers was required.

An oil light was stood on a small shelf next to the door to the farm and there was sounds of movement from the barn, where another low light could be seen.

OOC:   Having summoned police assistance, what’s Ascot’s next move?  

Bonnie could see signs that someone had been in the bushes - bent branches and footprints in the wet soil - but there was no one there now.

The warmth of the water and the rising steam was making Father Ó Shaban feel quite sleepy…

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:48 am
by Joajackson
The Father Ó Shaban noticed that he was feeling quite tired and decided to finish his bath, after all, scottish baths were not exactly the right style for that kind of thing. He was much more of a sauna guy.

Obtaining some new clothes, similar to the previous ones he was using, after all, he has some packed bags with him since he had come to great britain from boston, he went to find Ascot, and discover how was everything going, and what was going on with all the shootings.

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:16 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, it was a man, and ye did scare him off," says Bonnie.

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:22 am
by Snapper

Ascot heads back to the bar to attempt to dry off, warm up, and await the Reverend.

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:48 am
by BoyBlunder78
Slowly Dr Douglas crept his way to the wall. Crouching behind it he used it as cover as he felt his way along it. Heading towards the barn, now and again stopping and peeking over the top. Watching the both the farm house and barn for any signs of the owners appearing. Slowly creeping around the side of the barn he looks for any cracks or holes in outer walls he could use to peer in, before deciding on of to enter.

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:57 pm
by Philulhu
Dr Douglas could hear a faint murmur of conversation as he approached the barn and was soon able to find a knot hole through which he could observe what was happening inside.

It seemed the farmer liked to talk to his animals he worked and it was that the Doctor could hear. With his back to his hidden observer, the farmer was feeding some of his pigs who were stabled inside for the night. It all looked perfectly natural until he straightened up and turned around and Doctor Douglas saw the all too familiar bloody teeth and elongated jaw, and by God! The pigs were the same!

Father Ó Shaban was just coming down the stairs as Ascot finished his telephone call and returned to the bar. Everyone turned to look at them as they entered, and Mrs MacPherson said, “Well? Have ye rung fer the polis? Are they sending someone?”

”Perhaps ye’d be safer goin’ back inside while I fetch Dr McBride, Miss?” suggested Jamie, looking up and down the street.

Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:20 am
by Snapper

Ascot nods and finds a spare seat as close to the fire as he can.

"They are. And the Reverend should be here very shortly too."

Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:22 am
by Mr. Handy

"Like I said, he's oot," says Bonnie. "It can wait until morning. And ye'll be safer inside too. I'll go in if ye do."

Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:59 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Letting out a small squeal at the sight, Dr Douglas clamps his hand over his mouth and slides down the side of the barn to his knees, eyes wide in terror
  "Is there bo respite from these monstrosities? Will i ever find sanctuary?!!  
The thoughts racing through his head, suddenly panicking, what if the farmer heard him?! Slowly he got to his feet. Made his way to the back of the barn and made his way to the tree line.

Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:35 pm
by Joajackson
The Father took a seat next to Ascot, looking worried.

"Well, Sir Ascot, zat was ze conclusion of ze police? Have you informed of ze predatorr?"

Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:24 pm
by Snapper

Ascot looks heaven-ward for a moment's reprieve.

He speaks in a quiet, reassuring voice to Shaban. "Yes, and they are on the way, but from Inverness so will not be here anytime soon. The Reverend MacAllan is also heading here and should be much quicker."

"For the moment, perhaps we say nothing that might cause unnecessary alarm, until we are joined by the Reverend, who obviously the good people of Strathmorn know, respect, and will listen to. As opposed to try to lynch."
Ascot hopes this will quieten the conversation for now.

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 5:18 pm
by Philulhu
As Dr Douglas stepped carefully towards the rear of the barn he put his foot down on what felt like a pile of twigs. There was a strangled yelp and the ground erupted before him, and one of the long-faced creatures stood there, howling in pain! From the barn came a shout. ”Whee’s there?!” followed by the sound of a pig squealing and running feet.

Doctor Douglas and the creature both tried to run towards the trees at the same time, with inevitable results. In the rush, he found himself shoved roughly from behind so that he ploughed into a tree at full speed, banging his head, and spinning to the floor. As his consciousness seeped away, he looked up into yet another bloody-toothed visage, and heard, ”Aww, bugger! It’s wan o’ those folks stayin’ at the hotel…”

OOC:   I’ve moved the story on a couple of hours, so you’re back at the hotel (see below). Can I have a CON roll to see if Dr D regains consciousness?  

Two hours had passed. Reverend McCallan had turned up and had listened carefully as the situation was explained to him. The news that the police were on their way and that a monster may be on the loose went a long way to keeping everyone indoors. Farmer McIntyre then arrived carrying an unconscious Dr Douglas, saying that he’d found him poaching on his land, so he’d then become the centre of attention.

By the time Ascot and Hamish had got the doctor into his pyjamas and settled into his bed, the police had arrived in the shape of Serjeant Lorimer and a grim-faced Constable Leslie.

Serjeant Lorimer frowned at them. “So, who wants tae fill me in oan whit’s been happening?” he asked.

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 5:53 pm
by BoyBlunder78
OOC:   With pleasure.  
1d100

CRITICAL!!!

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:27 pm
by Philulhu
In his room, Dr Douglas woke with a start. He blinked, trying to work out where he was and how he got there.

He remembered stumbling across the fields and coming across a barn, hearing a noise within and running away but the rest of it was a blur. He pushed himself up gingerly, his head pounding, taking in the bedside light and spotting a mirror on the dressing table on the other side of the room he was sharing with Ascot. At least he now knew he was back at the Strathmorn Hotel.

Looking down, he realised that he was wearing his pyjamas! When did that happen?! Was this all a dream?!

Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 2:31 am
by Snapper

Ascot looks at the other two then shrugs.

"Dr McBride and his man Willie kidnapped the four of us earlier this evening at gun point. McBride apparently had a claim to inherit the manor. He was very wrongly convinced we had discovered treasure in the place. All we found was horror."

"He marched us up to the manor in the dark. Then the beast attacked and killed Willie. We four and McBride took shelter in a room in the top floor."

"McBride lost his nerve and tried to run for it but the beast caught and killed him."

"Later it lost interest in us and we were able to escape."

"You will find McBride and Willie have been ... Slain ... In much the same horrible way as that earlier poor lad. I have McBride's revolver that we recovered and am happy to hand it over to you, Sergeant."

"And I cannot explain it, but the beasts hide in those African trees around the manor. The ones brought back by the last laird a century ago. The trees need to go. But not in the dark I'd suggest. The Reverend and the Father are more expert here than me, but there is something very unnatural about these trees and beasts."

Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 4:34 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, it also means that the lad you have in custody is innocent," adds Bonnie. "These two men were killed the exact same way, and he couldna have done it while locked up. Willie also admitted that the beastie killed Mr. McColl before it got him too."

Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:40 am
by BoyBlunder78
Mildly confused, Dr Douglas walks into the bathroom to freshen up and try to gather his thoughts of the previous nights events. Trying to find so e semblance of reason, a thread of coherence to his memories. As he yurns the taps on in the sink he looks up into the bathroom mirror.....
OOC:   What does he see?  

Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:43 am
by Philulhu
As Dr Douglas raised his eyes from the sink and looked in the mirror, he saw his own reflection, For a moment it seemed as if his jawline was elongating, but gripping the sink and blinking rapidly, it was back to normal again!

“We’ll be the judge of that, Miss MacKenzie,” said Serjeant Lorimer, firmly. He looked around the room. “I’ll be needing some volunteers to come with me uptae the hoose,” he said. There was a general shuffling of feet and looks around the bar anywhere else except his direction but eventually a couple of the men stepped forward. Serjeant Lorimer frowned and called out a couple of others by name to go with Constable Leslie to go and check on Dr McBride’s home.

“Ye’ll be coming with us, tae,” he said to Ascot, Bonnie and Father Ó Shaban.

Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:57 am
by BoyBlunder78
Splashing cold water onto face, thinking he must still be half asleep that surely was the cause of the brief hallucination. Quickly drying his face his thoughts turned to the others. Where were they? How are they? Swiftly getting dressed he grabbed the journal and hus medical bag and made his way downstairs.

Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:51 am
by Snapper

Ascot looks to the Reverend for assistance.

"I will go with you now if you insist, Sergeant, but from what we've seen, these beasts roam at night like many other predators. It would be far safer to wait till dawn."

What actually is the time? How far is dawn?  

Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:07 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, of course," says Bonnie. "Make sure ye are armed, although Willie and Dr. McBride were armed, and it did them nae good."

Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:13 pm
by Joajackson
Father Ó Shaban decided to grumble in arabic as a response to it all. He really was tired and if he has to go to the house a second time during the night, he might even attempt to kill the beast himself.

Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:38 pm
by Philulhu
Constable Leslie and his two volunteers departed for Dr McBride’s house as the other made themselves ready. “Come along, gentlemen,” Serjeant Lorimer said to the two men he had picked out as they reluctantly pulled on their coats. One had a shotgun and the Serjeant carried his police revolver.

He looked up as Dr Douglas entered the room. “Ye’ll be the companion? The wan who took a funny turn? How are ye feeling now, sir? Fit fae a walk?” he asked.

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 4:37 am
by Mr. Handy

"Are ye feeling better, Doctor?" asks Bonnie.

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:13 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Turning to Bonnie a small smile on his face. "I believe am Miss MacKenzie. before facing the Sarjeant "Yes i am.on both accounts, and a walk might be just what the doctor ordered."

Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:45 am
by Snapper

Ascot looks at the Reverend hopefully, but sees no sign of assistance coming from a Calvinist Protestant Higher Power. With a sigh, he downs his whisky and stands, coming roughly to attention.

"Very good, Sergeant. I'm ready to do my duty."

Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:45 pm
by Philulhu
We will continue here: McMorn Manor (Slight Return)