Page 1 of 1

To the Manor borne… (everyone)

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:15 am
by Philulhu
McMorn Manor, Strathmorn, Inverness-shire
Saturday 21 March 1931. 7.15am

The day dawned clear, but cool. A yawning Mrs MacPherson had served them an early breakfast before they set out, and they found the village to be quiet. Not many people were about, although a few could be seen trudging away to work in the surrounding fields or heading down to the distillery.

It had rained in the night and rivulets of muddy water ran down the track as they made their way up to the Manor House. The wood that surrounded the house was quiet and it wasn’t until they passed out from under its canopy that they could see the house properly for the first time.

Truth be told, although it was called a Manor House it had far more in common with a peel tower or even a small castle. It had obviously been built with defence in mind, with thick stone walls and a tower overlooking the front door.

The grounds were overgrown with weeds but two buildings could be seen. One looked like a stable but the other looked very much like the family crypt…

Nature roll and Spot Hidden, please.

Re: To the Manor borne… (everyone)

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:51 am
by Snapper

1d%LLd25%

OOC:   Success.  

1d%pHdd60%

Ascot is looking about very keenly, in the trees, at the manor as they approach, and on the ground.

"Everyone, keep an eye out for animal tracks or traces." He is, himself, keenly looking for tracks of his hypothetical exotic pets or their descendants.

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:22 am
by Mr. Handy

Bonnie doesn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

Natural World roll (10% base skill) outside the manor:
d%
Spot Hidden roll (50% skill) outside the manor:
d%

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:37 am
by BoyBlunder78
30% 1d100

30%
1d100

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:37 am
by BoyBlunder78
OOC:   success
Extreme succes spot hidden  

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:46 am
by Philulhu
Up in one of the trees off to the right, Ascot and Dr Douglas spotted the carcass of a sheep, its white wool streaked with dried blood. To Ascot’s mind, it reminded him of the way that leopard would stash its kill, keeping it off the ground so it was safe from other predators.

As they looked on, it was also apparent that there was something different about some of the trees. The majority were evergreens, pines and firs, but spaced between them were tall, thin, bare-branched deciduous trees, dark brown in colour, as if burnt by the African sun.

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:29 pm
by Snapper

"Well that's not good."

Ascot unslings the soft rifle case that was over one shoulder. He takes out a clean but battered looking, war-era Lee-Enfield rifle, leaving the case on the ground.

Careful to keep the rifle safely pointed towards the ground, Ascot takes no further step but pauses to look around a full 360°.

"I believe we are close to finding the mystery animal. Be very careful."

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:45 pm
by Philulhu
Long moments passed but there was no movement to be seen, other than the faint stirring of the treetops in the light breeze.

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:28 pm
by Mr. Handy

Bonnie readies her rifle and lends her shotgun to Dr. Douglas. "Shall we walk around the exterior and see what else we can see?" she suggests.

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:02 am
by BoyBlunder78
Dr Douglas gratefully accepts the shotgun from Bonnie his face ashen white he silently fills both Chambers and pockets more of the ammo. He has transferred his medical supplies into a rucksack as he knew he couldn't possibly carry his medical bag and shotgun at the same time, also attached to the ruck sack is his lantern. " What do make of that Ascot? It does lend creedance to you imported creature theory I do say,
but how can i creatute large enough to do that (gestures to the animal remains) not be spotted by the locals? Also do any of you have any theories on the trees, could it be an effect the creature has? Possibly a trail to follow?"

Did you mean the trees are alien ro this environment or that they have been affected by something to look like this?

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:22 am
by Philulhu
The trees look different to the ones you have seen locally, which have been predominantly evergreen (fir, pine, etc.) with some deciduous trees as well (yew, ash, oak, etc.) You couldn’t say why they were different, just that they are.

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:34 am
by Joajackson
The Father Ó Shaban seemingly having little abilities considerable for this circunstance uncomfortably and silently thanked being surrounded by armed british.

"As exbected, ze old lord brought ze zings from ze south, and such ze hunter animal, a demon water of ze men, yes."

With that the Coptic priest answered back to the De Douglas.

"Ze trees arre clear, ze plants brought frrom ze south, maybe zere is more of ze animals. Two brredators and. small group of herbivores, yes. Ze animals could live in ze basement, if big enough, and stay secrret for generations."

Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:36 am
by Snapper

Satisfied the party was not under immediate attack, Ascot slings the rifle over his shoulder. His newly purchased Zeiss binoculars are hanging around his neck and he uses them to study the sheep and the odd trees. Pointing to the sheep, he says to Dr Douglas: "That is the hunter's larder. So where is the hunter? Many animals hunt at night and hole up in a lair during the day. The house maybe?"

Can Ascot make a Know Roll or similar to recognise the trees, if they are some relatively wide-spread African species? He's no arborist but they may be common.

Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:56 am
by Philulhu
Given your knowledge of Africa, you can attempt a KNOW roll.

Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:11 am
by Snapper

1d%42%

OOC:   Fail.  

Ascot studied the trees but they meant little to him. There was not a lot of botany to be learnt from Blyton, Conan Doyle, or Buchan. "I have no idea what those trees are but that's not saying much. I'm no tree expert.
Father Shaban, you don't recognise them, I don't suppose?"

Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:56 am
by Mr. Handy

"All I know is they're nae from around here," says Bonnie. "The laird could have had them transplanted from Africa."

Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:12 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Joajackson wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:34 am The Father Ó Shaban seemingly having little abilities considerable for this circunstance uncomfortably and silently thanked being surrounded by armed british.

"As exbected, ze old lord brought ze zings from ze south, and such ze hunter animal, a demon water of ze men, yes."

With that the Coptic priest answered back to the De Douglas.

"Ze trees arre clear, ze plants brought frrom ze south, maybe zere is more of ze animals. Two brredators and. small group of herbivores, yes. Ze animals could live in ze basement, if big enough, and stay secrret for generations."

" I understand what you mean Father there are examples in the natural world of predators and prey having a kind of symbiotic relationship, i just cant see how a creature capable of evicarating a large animal and leaving the remains high up in a tree not being spotted by anyone over the past one hundred years. Poachers are active in this area and theres no even any pub tales of a creature prowling the land or stalking the skies. But im starting to think you maybe on the right lines with something not known of in these lands or indeed world."

Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:59 pm
by Snapper

"Just remember, that Price fellow has sent us here to prove this is all natural or man-made causes, not ghosts. And I still think this could be the grandchildren of someone's ill-chosen pet from foreign parts. The only thing I know about ghosts is they don't really need to eat."

"On the topic of which, the predator brought the sheep here, climbed the tree, left the sheep, and headed off again, maybe to its lair? Which means there's some chance there might be tracks around the tree, if they haven't been washed away. Let's have a look."

Ascot heads over towards the tree with the sheep. "Can I ask everyone just to stay back 20 feet while I search. But keep your eyes peeled for tracks and traces, first person to spot something wins a drink at the bar tonight."

Ascot starts at the tree's base and slowly spirals outwards, looking for tracks.

Spoiler:
Can Ascot try a Track roll?

Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:43 am
by Philulhu
Tracking or Spot Hidden, please.

Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:03 am
by Snapper

1d%pHdd60%

Ascot prowls carefully about the tree and near vicinity.

Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:08 pm
by Philulhu
Although the tracks are more than 24 hours old, Ascot can see signs that something has moved to and from the tree. He can’t however determine what type of creature left the tracks.

Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:53 am
by Mr. Handy

"Let's follow the tracks back to the beastie's lair," says Bonnie.

Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:57 am
by BoyBlunder78
" Everyone on their guard, we have no idea what this creature maybe. Speak up if you notice anything that strikes you as 'off' no matter how insignificant it may seem."

Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:12 am
by Snapper
Spoiler:
Would Ascot learn anything more about the animal that left the tracks with a successful Track roll?

Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:45 pm
by Philulhu
Track really allows you to follow tracks, rather than telling anything about what you’re tracking. I think a Natural World might be more appropriate?

Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:00 am
by Snapper
Spoiler:
Fair enough!

1d%LLd25%

OOC:   Big fail!  

Ascot studies the tracks, scratching his head. "Well, I've got no idea what made those tracks."

"Let's see if we can follow them, ja?"
Ascot attempts to follow the tracks...

Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:45 am
by Philulhu
The tracks lead in the direction of the house but were then lost on the hard surfaces like the paving slabs that surrounded it. Ascot picked up the trail again on the other side but then lost it as it disappeared into the trees that sat between the house and the village.

Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:40 pm
by Snapper

Ascot looks at the manor with evident distaste. He is happier outside. "Shall we circle the manor from the outside, looking inwards? We might see some indications of what this animal is. If we have no luck there, I suppose we should think about looking around inside, ja?"

Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:58 pm
by BoyBlunder78
" I think thats a sound idea, getting a better understanding of our surroundings as well as looking for any signs of this creature is a good plan Ascot. Shall we split up to.cover the ground quicker?"

Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:36 pm
by Joajackson
BoyBlunder78 wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:58 pm " I think thats a sound idea, getting a better understanding of our surroundings as well as looking for any signs of this creature is a good plan Ascot. Shall we split up to.cover the ground quicker?"
Fatther Ó Shaban was considerably negative of the declared idea.

"But sir, if we sebarrate, ze creature could attack us by sebarate. A grreat ze zat is, yes? Inshallah, but we shall walk togezer. If ze plan to catch ze eater beast, we will use ze mezods to find a bait, but until zen, being eaten by ze african prredator, is not ze plan, yes?"

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:41 am
by Mr. Handy

"I agree," Bonnie says to Ascot. "Let's all stay together. We might regret it if the beastie attacks just two of us."

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:48 pm
by Snapper

Ascot looks apologetically at Doctor Douglas. "Sorry, Doc, the majority have requested we stay together. Safety first."

Ascot will lead the way towards the front of the manor, intending to circle clockwise around it from the outside, looking inwards.

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:19 pm
by Philulhu
Befitting the original purpose of the building, the windows were narrow, akin to arrow slots seen on castles. Moving around, anyone attempting to look inside could see very little because of the darkness inside. It wasn’t a particularly large building so it wasn’t long before they came across an old-fashioned wooden door that appeared to have broken drown some time ago.

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:33 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Dr Douglas shrugs, cradles the shotgun and follows the others. He takes a close look at the door, to see if there are any signs of disturbance, and also see if there is any change to the plant life around the area.
Spot hidden: 30%
1d100

Natural World 30%
1d100
OOC:   Fail Spot hidden. Hard success Natural World.  

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:28 pm
by Philulhu
The weathering on the door suggested that it had been broken in some years before. There was nothing out of the ordinary about the weeds that grew through the cobbles around the entrance, except that one of two looked like they had been broken off recently, most likely caught by someone walking past.

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:36 pm
by BoyBlunder78
" Look here Ascot." Pointing to the broken weeds, " Do you think these were broken recently or possibly by the deceased or the accused?"

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:27 am
by Snapper

Ascot nods in interest. "Well spotted. Now, I believe it was seven days ago that the murder was discovered. I imagine the police would have come and gone a bit the next day, last Sunday. My only question is could this be more recent?"

"Shall we finish the full lap of the house then come back to here?"

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:47 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, let's," says Bonnie.

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:25 am
by Philulhu
A quick circuit of the house revealed a few more of the arrow-slit windows but no other ways inside.

Returning to the doorway and looking more closely at the weeds, it seems that whatever disturbed them, it wasn’t that recent as the breaks to the stems had had time to dry out.

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:12 pm
by Joajackson
Father Ó Shaban seemed to think for a moment and spoke while looking at the weeds and the talk about someone passing by recently.

"Gud fellows. Ze man brisoner forr ze murder slept in ze house. Ze brobability for zat man leaving his trrace is quite ze reasonable conclusion, yes?"

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:16 am
by Snapper

Ascot slings the rifle and draws a big, battered, old war-vintage revolver, pointing it at the sky for safety. He heads for the broken door.

"Was that lad accused of the murder sleeping here? I had the impression he was exploring the place. Unless he told you all different when you spoke with him of course."

"Does anyone have a flashlight or lantern, by any chance?"

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:37 am
by Mr. Handy

"Right here," says Bonnie, taking out her electric torch and lending it to Ascot.

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:18 am
by BoyBlunder78
Dr Douglas takes his lantern and ignites it, bathing the rest of the party in a soft glow as they follow Ascot.

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:41 pm
by Snapper

"Marvelous. You put me to shame with your excellent preparation. Very well, let's have a look inside. I don't think there's any hope that the whole group of us can move through this old place without making any noise, so I'm not going to try."

Ascot heads in through the broken door.

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:07 am
by Philulhu
Stepping through the main doorway, they found themselves in a small entrance lobby, just about big enough for them all to crowd into. Ahead, there were two more doorways, with another passage leading off to their right.

The floor was thick with dust and it was clear that people had been in here, with footprints criss-crossing the floor. Through the rightmost of the two doorways, the beam of the torch lit up some angular shapes. To the investigators, they looked like coffins…

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:04 am
by Mr. Handy

"Let's check in there first," says Bonnie, pointing at the shapes.

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:24 am
by BoyBlunder78
Raising his lantern Dr Douglas walks slowly towards them.

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:04 pm
by Joajackson
While the other were slowly looking to the shapes, the Father observed the footprints on the floor, for if there was one not belonging to a human.

Want to do a spot hidden roll, the dice don't work for me.

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:14 pm
by Philulhu
Spot hidden (25%) 1d100 Success!

It appeared that there were three sets of footprints, all human. Two sets were larger, one smaller. The larger footprints head off in the direction of a spiral staircase to the right of the entrance, which can be seen now the investigators have entered the room.

Illuminated by torchlight, it was clear that the coffins had relatively recently been opened but (thankfully) all were empty.

Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:46 am
by Snapper

Ascot stalks cautiously over to the coffins.

"What in God's name are those doing here? We are in the house, aren't we? This isn't the family crypt?"

Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:04 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, this is the hoose," says Bonnie. "Someone's looked through them before us."

Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:22 am
by BoyBlunder78
Dr Douglas holds the lamps closer, kneeling down for a closer inspection.
spot hidden 30%
1d100

Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:03 am
by Philulhu
The coffins must have been stored in the crypt as they showed none of the signs of decay that would have resulted had they been buried underground. They were musty but there was no scent of rot, that might suggest they had been used recently.

The timber was old but it was clear that it had been broken into recently as the breaks hadn’t weathered and the edges were still sharp. Of the contents of the coffins, there was no clue as to where they had gone.

Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:09 am
by BoyBlunder78
OOC:   How many coffins are they?  
" Can anyone see any drag lines that may see where these were dragged from?"

Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:16 am
by Philulhu
There were eight coffins.There were no drag marks (it would be easier to carry them, rather than drag them across the floor, tbh) A couple have tarnished name plates, bearing the MacMorn name, but none of Alex or his father.

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"Let's make a note of the names," says Bonnie. "If we get a look at the MacMorn family tree, we could identify them."

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:56 am
by Snapper

Ascot looks shocked. "Who would think to do such a thing?"

He pulls himself together. "Well, whatever madness this is, empty coffins are no threat to us, I guess. I suggest we check the rest of this house for real dangers."

"If we find nothing else, we better have a look in the family crypt too, if it's not locked or sealed shut."
This is clearly not a prospect that thrills Ascot.

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:05 am
by Mr. Handy

"Right," says Bonnie. "Although if it is, I may be able to do something aboot it."

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:41 pm
by Philulhu
The two legible names were Agnes and Bridget but there were no dates of birth or death…

…because they were just details made up by the Keeper to make the story more immersive and no way linked to the plot whatsoever… … ;)

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 6:40 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Shall we check the other door on this side?" asks Bonnie.

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 6:56 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Dr Douglas walks towards the door, holding the lantern up reaches out and turns the door handle.

Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:53 am
by Philulhu
The room to the left had some shelves built into the walls which suggested it was a storeroom but it obviously hadn’t been used in some time as all the shelves were bare. In the far left corner was an archway leading to the turret room, with what looked like the start of a spiral staircase.

Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:47 pm
by Snapper

"Before we head upstairs, shall we check every room on the ground floor? That seems more methodical." Ascot indicates back towards the lobby.

As he heads back, Ascot is trying to make sense of the scene. "Is there some archaic Scottish tradition where at some point you remove people's bones from their coffins and store them in catacombs or something? I've been to Paris, I know they have lots of bones in catacombs. Ugh."

Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:26 am
by Philulhu
To the right from the lobby was a spiral staircase leading upwards. There were footprints in the dust on the stairs heading in both directions.

Beyond the stairs was a kitchen. A heavy wooden table looked to have been dragged into the middle of the room, leaving drag marks in the dust, suggesting that the room had also been searched recently.

Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:33 am
by BoyBlunder78
"True, dont want to miss any sort of evidence."

Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:39 am
by Mr. Handy

"Not that I ken," says Bonnie. "Once someone's buried, they're supposed to stay buried. Of course, Alex MacMorn had some strange ideas, and his descendants may share them."

Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:51 am
by Snapper

Ascot looks about the kitchen for anything strange, aside from the table being moved. The manor has been abandoned so long, he would be surprised to find anything in the kitchen at all.

Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:04 am
by Philulhu
Other than the table, the only furniture in the room was a large wooden dresser. All the doors were open and nothing was inside. In the sizeable fireplace, there was a large stove. Again, its door stood open and there was nothing inside.

Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:40 am
by BoyBlunder78
"strikes me as odd that everything is all ooen, looters nustve had a dield day over the years," observes Dr Douglas.

Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:14 pm
by Snapper

"It's as if somebody else was searching this room desperately for something. What would you hope to find in a manor abandoned for over a century?"

"Well, let's keep going. I'd be happy just to satisfy myself if there's a family of leopards or pythons or the like living here."

"And let's not forget Mr Price, who's paying our bills, and wants us to disprove the rumours of the other-worldly. Although I'm pretty happy that ghosts don't kill sheep and store them in trees to eat later."

Ascot will continue the search of the ground floor.

Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:05 pm
by Joajackson
Snapper wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:14 pm Image

"It's as if somebody else was searching this room desperately for something. What would you hope to find in a manor abandoned for over a century?"

"Well, let's keep going. I'd be happy just to satisfy myself if there's a family of leopards or pythons or the like living here."

"And let's not forget Mr Price, who's paying our bills, and wants us to disprove the rumours of the other-worldly. Although I'm pretty happy that ghosts don't kill sheep and store them in trees to eat later."

Ascot will continue the search of the ground floor.
The Father Ó Shaban following the group with certain nervousness spoke some strange ideas.

"Forgiveness for ze strrange zeory, sir Ascot, but ze sarcopaghi have made me rremember ze famous book, yes? Ze Bram Strocker book, zree women of ze eating demon kind, yes. Eaters of blood, and capable to make a men sleep with only zeory eyes."

Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:29 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Ah, ye mean vampires," says Bonnie. "I enjoyed Bram Stoker's Dracula, but I ken it isna real. Anyway, those coffins dinna contain their native soil."

Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:57 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Dr Douglas follows Ascot holding the lantern up.lets stick together winking at Bonnie "Theres no garlic in here."

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:11 am
by Mr. Handy

Bonnie nods and follows as well.

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:11 am
by Snapper

Ascot looks fractionally uncomfortable. "That's going to be your battle, Father, if we find something out of a Bram Stoker novel. Have the cross and bible and holy water ready."

"To be honest though, I've yet to meet anything that walks on two legs or four, crawls or slithers that can't be shot and killed."

"I have to add, if we do find vampires, Mr Price will be most displeased."

Resolutely, Ascot keeps searching.

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:45 am
by Philulhu
With just three rooms on the ground floor, the search did not take long. They found nothing of interest, apart from the two spiral staircases that lead to the upper floors. The first was just off the small entrance hall with footprints in the dust on the steps, and the second was in the far corner of the storeroom, which appeared undisturbed.

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:43 am
by Mr. Handy

"Let's try the stairs to the turret first," says Bonnie.

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:32 pm
by Snapper

"Sounds as good a plan as any, ja? The turret it is." Ascot heads back to the storeroom with the staircase leading upwards.

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:18 pm
by Joajackson
Snapper wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:32 pm Image

"Sounds as good a plan as any, ja? The turret it is." Ascot heads back to the storeroom with the staircase leading upwards.
"Forgiveness Sir Ascot, but if we arre doing ze hunting of a family of bumas as we arre bresuming, shouldnt we try to speak up our presence going upwards, yes? Ze debredator kind could ambush ze man going up, but a strong noise make keep zem retreated."

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:15 am
by BoyBlunder78
"With all this stoor about any large animal prints will be clearly seen, plus at the moment we've yet to seen any faeces."[/b] Dr Douglas mentions, blushing slightly at Bonnie mumbling an apology at the vulgarity of the end of his comment.

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:43 pm
by Snapper

Joajackson wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:18 pm "Forgiveness Sir Ascot, but if we arre doing ze hunting of a family of bumas as we arre bresuming, shouldnt we try to speak up our presence going upwards, yes? Ze debredator kind could ambush ze man going up, but a strong noise make keep zem retreated."

"Well, Father, my feeling is any predator worthy of the name would already have heard us and has already decided whether they are going to retreat or attack. But don't let me stop you making all the noise you like."

BoyBlunder78 wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:15 am "With all this stoor about any large animal prints will be clearly seen, plus at the moment we've yet to seen any faeces."

Ascot snorts in amusement. "In the expeditioning business, we call that 'tracks and traces' to be polite, but I take your point. Let's see what's up here." He heads up the stairs, revolver still carefully pointed straight up.

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:56 pm
by Mr. Handy

Bonnie follows, her rifle also pointed safely upward, not too bothered by the explicit description.

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:16 pm
by Philulhu
This is the layout of the ground floor of the Manor House.

If I’ve got it right, you’re heading up the left-hand spiral staircase?

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:41 pm
by Mr. Handy

Is it? Is that the one that goes up to the turret?

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:19 am
by Philulhu
There are turrets on the diagonal corners but reading back through the posts, it’s the one in the top left of the image that you’re moving towards. That appeared undisturbed, whereas the one in the bottom right of the image had footsteps in the dust.

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:43 am
by Mr. Handy

I think it is the one on the left. I remember seeing the description after we opened the left door.

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:33 pm
by Philulhu
At the top of the spiral staircase, illuminated by the light from a arrowslit window, was a pile of broken bones…

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:50 pm
by Snapper

"Bones. No obvious leopards. Doc, I'm thinking this is your specialty." Ascot shines a light on the bones but gets out of the way.

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:23 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I hope those aren't human," says Bonnie nervously as she steps aside.

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:12 am
by Snapper
OOC:   Is there an obvious skull or part of a skull in the pile? That would be a give-away. 💀  

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:18 pm
by Philulhu
The size of the bones suggest that they are human. There is no sign of a skull, although the bones are spread across the landing area so it could be somewhere out of sight.

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:28 pm
by BoyBlunder78
OOC:   would it be a biology role to check the bones? Determine age and sex?  

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:32 pm
by Philulhu
Biology or Medicine would be appropriate.

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:37 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Medicine 56%
1d100

Phew, that could've been awkward.....

Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:06 pm
by Philulhu
Definitely human, most likely male, given the shape of the pelvis. By the size, they’re from an adult and they lack signs of wear/arthritis which would suggest old age.

The larger bones do look as if something has gnawed at them to get at the bone marrow so can I have a SAN check, please…

‘What are they Doc?! Are they human?!’

‘I haven’t a clue, frankly! They could be halibut for all I know…!’ ;)

Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:24 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Philulhu wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:06 pm
Definitely human, most likely male, given the shape of the pelvis. By the size, they’re from an adult and they lack signs of wear/arthritis which would suggest old age.

The larger bones do look as if something has gnawed at them to get at the bone marrow so can I have a SAN check, please…

‘What are they Doc?! Are they human?!’

‘I haven’t a clue, frankly! They could be halibut for all I know…!’ ;)
"Goddam it! I'm a people doctor not a bone doctor!"

Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:27 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Swine! And a happy new tear to you too lol. Sanity 40%
1d100

HARD SUCCESS!!!

Dr Douglas his eyebrows raised turning over each bone in his hand looks to the group. They are all male bones, all in their prime judging by the condition of them. Although they have all been drained of their bone marrow!!"
""Ascot what do you make of these teeth marks? Do they look familiar to you?" I hand him a femur bone.
Natural world 30%
I would like trya roll to see if they look familar to me.
1d100

" They dont strike a chord with me."

Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:32 pm
by Philulhu
No SAN loss (this time 😉).

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:33 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, at least it wasna a vampire that did this," says Bonnie.

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:26 am
by Snapper

Ascot takes the proffered femur gingerly, between two fingers, looking slightly appalled. "Charming."

1d%LLd25%

OOC:   In case there is anything to be learnt with a NW roll, that was a Crit.  

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:43 am
by Philulhu
Ascot has seen bones gnawed in this way before and concurs with Dr Douglas that they have been broken into for the marrow but beyond that, he cannot tell what sort of creature may have done this.

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:14 am
by Snapper

"I can't tell what did that, but you're right, Doc, something has gnawed them open and eaten the marrow out. Ugh."

"Considering the coffins downstairs, this is making me feel very uneasy. Somebody or some animal has very strange tastes. I wonder if Mr Price will want his money back?"

Ascot rather carefully puts the bone back with the collection.

"Next staircase? Did anyone see an entrance to a cellar of any description, by the way?"

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"Not that I saw," says Bonnie, "but the other staircase is the most likely place to find it, so let's go there. I think we should look upstairs first before we venture down to the cellar, though."

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:09 am
by Snapper

"Yes, I think you're right. Nice and methodical. Also, it would be nice not to have anything creep up behind us while we're heading down into a cellar."

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:45 pm
by Philulhu
You’re at the landing on the first floor. Behind you, the spiral stairs continue upwards.

To your right as you emerged from the staircase is a room in the turret. To your left, it opens up into a larger room.

Where are you heading?

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:36 pm
by BoyBlunder78
"Lets see whats in this room to the left." Dr Douglas holds up the lantern and slowly enters the room.

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:48 am
by Snapper

"Well spotted, Doc, I think I was distracted by the bones. Let's have a look about the upper floor. I feel like we're getting closer to the mystery."

Ascot cocks the hammer on his revolver.

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:29 am
by Mr. Handy

Bonnie keeps her rifle ready.

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:34 pm
by Philulhu
The room appeared to have been used as a drawing room at one time, with now moth-eaten comfortable chairs and a settee in front of the fireplace. On the stone walls were hide shields and weapons which Alex McMorn had presumably brought back from Africa.

The only other furniture was an empty dresser and a small bookcase. Diagonally opposite where they came in, an archway lead through to the next room.

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:19 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Dr Douglas walks around the room to see if there are any signs of anything having been I the room.
Spot hidden 30%
1d100
;)

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:57 am
by Mr. Handy

Bonnie looks at the bookshelves, curious to see what kinds of books are there.

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:34 am
by Snapper

Ascot looks over to Bonnie. "I'm partial to Conan Doyle, Blyton and Buchan, myself."

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:40 am
by Philulhu
Clearly, no-one had been in this room for many years as the dust on the floor was untouched.

The books on the bookcase we’re a selection of rather dry tomes on a variety of subjects; geography, history, flora and fauna.

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:47 pm
by BoyBlunder78
"Looks like the only '39 Steps' your getting are these stair cases Ascot" Says Dr Douglas as walks slowly to the archway.

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:40 am
by Mr. Handy

"I like those authors too," says Bonnie, "but I'm partial to Popular Mechanics myself. Shall we proceed through the archway?"

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:27 am
by Snapper

"A hundred and twenty years and no-one could be bothered to steal those books. Riveting reading, I'm sure."

Ascot heads in the direction not yet explored on the upper level, occasionally testing the floor for good measure. He is somewhat untrusting of the stability of this building.

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:01 pm
by Joajackson
Philulhu wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:40 am Clearly, no-one had been in this room for many years as the dust on the floor was untouched.

The books on the bookcase we’re a selection of rather dry tomes on a variety of subjects; geography, history, flora and fauna.
Father Ó Shaban decided to check the flora and fauna books, to see if they had any references to Africa, that could be relevant.

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:56 pm
by Philulhu
While Father Ó Shaban perused the books on the shelves, the others made their way across the room towards the archway. It was created by a wooden screen that bisected the room, created two separate spaces.

As they looked through the arch, shadowed by the light from the nearby arrow slot, a large creature loomed out of the darkness, higher than human height, with sharp claws and vicious-looking teeth in an long, inhuman face…

The books are old and mildewed. All focus on British flora and fauna and probably pre-date Alex McMorn’s return from Africa.

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:05 pm
by Mr. Handy

Bonnie instinctively points her rifle at the thing and fires, hitting it right between the eyes!

Firerarms(Rifle/Shotgun) roll (50% skill) shooting at the creature:
d%
Impale! 8-) I believe damage is maximum damage (16 in this case) plus a regular damage roll, which is 2D6+4, for a total of 2D6+20.

Damage to creature from rifle bullet:
2d6+20

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:44 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Dr Douglas staggers back holding the lantern up, Staring in horror at the Creature.

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:55 pm
by Philulhu
The shot crashed out, ringing off the stone walls! The bullet ricocheted off the creature’s face and flew out of the window with a crash!

There was a moment’s silence (not that anyone would know it from the ringing in their ears) before there was a ‘crack’ and the bottom half of the creature’s face broke off, fell down and rolled across the floor…

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:12 pm
by Mr. Handy

Is it dead? Can we act freely?

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:52 pm
by Snapper

Ascot is still pointing his revolver at the ceiling. "Ah, that's not what normally happens when we shoot live animals. Or people even."

He shines his torch on the thing, wondering if it's a taxidermed animal or something similar.

"Very good shooting, by the way."

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:09 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank ye," says Bonnie. "I may be a wee slip of a lass, but I'm nae so helpless as a sheep."

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:31 am
by Philulhu
Terrifying it certainly appeared but alive it had never been, as Ascot’s torch revealed a stone statue of some ungodly creature. It stood seven feet tall with a sharp, pointed head, elongated limbs with vicious claws at the end of its fingers and a mouthful of serrated teeth (albeit that part was rolling around the floor as the lower part of the face had been broken off by Bonnie’s shot).

Can we have SAN checks for those in the room?

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:52 am
by BoyBlunder78
Sanity 40%
1d100

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:08 am
by Mr. Handy

Bonnie calmly reloads her rifle and chambers a fresh round, comforted by the fact that had this thing actually been alive, she would have killed it with that shot.

Sanity roll (current level 65) for seeing the statue:
d%

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:00 am
by Snapper

1d%50%

OOC:   Pass.  

"Who on earth would put a statue like that in their house? Who would make a statue like that?"

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:05 am
by Mr. Handy

"Alex MacMorn," says Bonnie.

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:10 am
by Joajackson
Snapper wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:00 am Image

1d%50%

OOC:   Pass.  

"Who on earth would put a statue like that in their house? Who would make a statue like that?"
Mr. Handy wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:05 am Image

"Alex MacMorn," says Bonnie.
Father Ó Shaban had taken cover behind the scottish laddie he had paid to follow him, and behind a fauna book, as he was too occupied to have entered in the statue room. After a moment of pause, he spoke to the statue room. Not leaving his human shield.

"Inshallah! Forgivances, ze emglish shotterrs, but arre you safe or in ze mortal danger? Zis old man cannut survive against ze evil prredators, yes?"

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:21 am
by Philulhu
Lose one point of SAN.

It was hard to tell what looked worse, the statue with the lower part of its face intact or without. At least it was just a statue and didn’t pose any further threat.

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:31 am
by BoyBlunder78
"Well if it were to come to life it woukd be at a disadvantage. Does anyone recognise this beast?" Dr Douglas asks, vidibly still shaken by the shock.

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:39 am
by Philulhu
It isn’t like anything any of you have seen or heard about before.

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:27 pm
by Snapper

"It's just a, ah, statue of a monster, Father. And Bonnie shot it for good measure too. No particular cause for alarm."

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:25 pm
by Joajackson
With a slow walk, the Father entered the statue room, looking with quiet attention to the stone being.

Unsure if a sanity roll is necesary, in that case, I wait to know the result.
If a sanity roll isn't required, I want to do a egiptology roll or a knowledge lore for the beast, as my character has some knowledge about african mythos.

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:50 am
by Mr. Handy

"Dinna fash, Father," says Bonnie. "Had it been a real beastie, it would have been dead after that shot."

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:39 am
by Snapper

Far more interested in flesh and blood, real animals than statues of make-believe ones, Ascot continues exploring the upper floor.

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:12 pm
by Philulhu

This level was set out very much like the ground floor, although given over to living quarters rather than storage.

Let me know where you want to look and give me a spot hidden, please.

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:26 am
by Mr. Handy

Bonnie searches the room where the statue was found, looking for anything else of interest.

Spot Hidden roll (50% skill) searching the statue room:
d%

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:24 am
by Snapper

Ascot heads for the far opposite room, past the other set of stairs.

1d%pHdd60%

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:26 am
by BoyBlunder78
Dr Douglas goes to the room next to the statue in the right hand corner.
30%
1d100

Still visibly shaken by the encounter with the statue Dr Douglas quickly scans the room before hurrying back to the centre of the main room, not really taking anything in.

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:26 am
by Philulhu
Neither Bonnie nor Dr Douglas could see anything else of note in the statue room. Father Ó Shaban approached the statue and studied it carefully.

As they looked about, Ascot crossed over to the spiral staircase in the other corner of the room. Looking down, it appeared that the steps lead back down to the entrance hall. Looking up, it appeared there was another floor above.

Lore - Egyptology (70%) 1d100 Having been pre-warned about the statue, there’s no SAN loss. It clearly isn’t Egyptian in design but it does remind Eamon of some of the African carvings of elongated figures he had seen for sale in some of the souks and bazaars.

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:41 am
by Mr. Handy

Bonnie heads for the largest chamber and looks around.

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:59 am
by Joajackson
Philulhu wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:26 am Neither Bonnie nor Dr Douglas could see anything else of note in the statue room. Father Ó Shaban approached the statue and studied it carefully.

As they looked about, Ascot crossed over to the spiral staircase in the other corner of the room. Looking down, it appeared that the steps lead back down to the entrance hall. Looking up, it appeared there was another floor above.

Lore - Egyptology (70%) 1d100 Having been pre-warned about the statue, there’s no SAN loss. It clearly isn’t Egyptian in design but it does remind Eamon of some of the African carvings of elongated figures he had seen for sale in some of the souks and bazaars.
Father Ó Shaban was quite interested in the statue, finally speaking towards the rest.

"Inshallah! I rrecognize ze creaturre. While you, my combanions, may not know, zis one knows a lot of afrrican creatures, yes. Zis beast is... Definitely not from Egipt! But surely afrrican, yes. I believe it quite brobable, quite brobable for zis beast be what we look forr in zis house."

After thinking to the statue beast for a moment, he tried to find a pen in his things, if he did, he would get one of the old books and start to draw the statue in one of the empty initial pages. If he didn't have a pen he would ask for it.

"Forgiveness, ze combanions, anyone has a pen? I shall draw zis statue, forr if we need to show ze shape of ze beast to someone."

The Father wasn't an artist, and he was truly not trying to draw something good, just the minimun recognizable.

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:30 am
by Snapper

Ascot produces a new pencil from his jacket pocket and hands it to Father Shaban. "There's another flight of stairs heading upwards this side. Shall we finish looking around here then head up?"

He goes back to poking about the unexplored areas of this floor.

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:01 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, a good plan," says Bonnie. "We should finish searching this floor first, then head upstairs."

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:48 am
by Philulhu
Beyond the spiral staircase was another corner room which appeared to have been used for storage as it was full of packing crates. At least, they had been packing crates at one time, as they now mostly resembled splintered firewood, with the room having been comprehensively trashed.

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:05 pm
by Joajackson
Once the drawing of the statue was good enough, he stopped to think for a moment, and then talked to Hamish, the scottish lad he was travelling with.

"Hamish, take ze brroken face of ze statue and trow it outside, yes? Trust me, inshallah, zis is a good idea."

After that was done the priest returned with the rest.

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:38 pm
by BoyBlunder78
OOC:   Are there any labels on the crates?  

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:07 pm
by Philulhu
Gingerly, Hamish picked up the broken-off part of the statue and, holding it at arms’ length with a look of deep apprehension screwing up his face, headed off down the stairs…

It’s possible, by scraping together scraps of shipping labels from various different crates, to determine that these were some of the crates that Alex McMorn brought back from Africa.

Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:26 am
by Mr. Handy

Bonnie inspects the wreckage of the crates, trying to determine if any of them could have been large enough to have contained the statue.

Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:34 am
by Snapper

Ascot stands still at the stairs, keen to get upstairs to make sure nothing teethy is up there, but anxious to wait until Hamish is safely back with them.

Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:36 pm
by Philulhu
Most of the crate fragments were no longer than foot so Bonnie couldn’t tell definitively, but it was certainly a possibility.

Hamish trudged back up the stairs. ”I chucked it oot intae the grass,” he said.

You referred to the Doctor coming back. Doctor Douglas is in the middle of the room, it was Hamish (Father Ó Shaban’s hired help) who disposed of the jaw of the statue.

Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:25 pm
by Snapper
Spoiler:
Oops! Amended that post accordingly. Must have misread in my tiredness today.

"Well, shall we have a look upstairs, just so I know there's not a leopard family waiting up above?" Ascot makes a start up the next flight of stairs.

Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:40 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Dr Douglas keeping close to the middle of the group, holding the lantern high trying to illuminate as much of the stairs and surrounding area as possible.

Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:55 am
by Mr. Handy

Bonnie is second in line behind Ascot, in case her marksmanship is needed.

Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:21 pm
by Philulhu
Emerging onto the second floor, they found themselves in what looked to be a study. Wooden shelves lined the walls and a large writing desk sat in front of the window, although light through the narrow slit was limited. The room had been comprehensively taken apart, with books torn to shreds and scattered across the floor.

Of more pressing concern was the skeletal remains that were scattered across the floor, with the bones cracked open and gnawed like those they had seen downstairs…

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:31 am
by Snapper

"Well, still no wild animals." Ascot sounds somewhat disappointed. "Doc, your expertise is called for again." He gestures at the bones.

Ascot squints at the shredded books, looking for a title in the mess.

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:49 am
by Mr. Handy

Bonnie examines the writing desk, looking for hidden compartments or anything that the intruder might have missed.

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:22 am
by BoyBlunder78
Dr Douglas walks over to the bones and picks one up to examine it.
OOC:   Would i need to do a another roll to examine these bones since i already passed one on the previous bones?  

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:35 pm
by Joajackson
Father Ó Shaban went up the stairs at the end of the group, looking arround the place with certain confusion he talked to Hamish.

"Hammish, forrgiveness, could you oben ze window more? My sight is not what it was."

With that done, he joined Bonnie to try to find something of interest, looking arround the wooden shelves.

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:41 am
by Philulhu
I’ll take a spot hidden from anyone searching.

Father Ó Shaban - Spot Hidden (25%) 1d100 (failed).

Dr. Douglas - your medical training means that you recognise the bones as human but you would need to roll to determine any further details (age, gender, etc.)

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:03 pm
by Snapper

1d%pHdd60%

OOC:   Hard Success.  

After gently uncocking his revolver with a distinct "click - click", Ascot squats down on his haunches and pokes around the mess with renewed interest.

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:10 pm
by BoyBlunder78
:shock: :twisted: :lol:
30%
1d100

Turning to Ascit Dr Douglas says The bones are human, look the same as before."

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:12 am
by Philulhu
The books and papers had been well and truly shredded, barely a sentence could be read from any of them, and the wind from the freshly opened window stirred them on the floor and threatened to send a few sailing down the stairs.

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:46 am
by Mr. Handy

Bonnie finds something, but she figures it can wait as she scrambles to retrieve the papers.

Spot Hidden roll (50% skill) searching the desk:
d%

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:01 am
by Philulhu
Amidst the papers on the floor, one stood out. The majority were either torn pages from books or pages from a ledger that recorded household accounts in a neat copperplate hand.

The anomaly was the crumpled page that looked to have been torn from a notebook or journal, written in capital letters were the words, ‘NIHAR CTHOR HAG NAATHI IST’HE GHLAN GHEIHNT’HOR’. Reading the words sent an unexpected shiver down the spine. Of the rest of the book, there was no sign.

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:02 am
by Snapper

Ascot points the piece of paper out tho the others. "I don't know what that means but it gives me the willies, like the witch doctors back home. Father Shaban, you're our expert, does that mean anything to you?"

"Now, obviously we need to alert the local constabulary to the fact that people's remains have been disturbed. But I want to solve this now, discover who or what is responsible. If everyone agrees. I imagine Mr Price would like a solution from us too, preferably one without the supernatural."

"If we're all agreed, I suspect we should have a look in the old family tomb or crypt or whatever it is, next to this manor. Much as I hate to say that. Those bones must have come from somewhere though, eh? Not to mention the coffins."

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:15 am
by Joajackson
Snapper wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:02 am Image

Ascot points the piece of paper out tho the others. "I don't know what that means but it gives me the willies, like the witch doctors back home. Father Shaban, you're our expert, does that mean anything to you?"

"Now, obviously we need to alert the local constabulary to the fact that people's remains have been disturbed. But I want to solve this now, discover who or what is responsible. If everyone agrees. I imagine Mr Price would like a solution from us too, preferably one without the supernatural."

"If we're all agreed, I suspect we should have a look in the old family tomb or crypt or whatever it is, next to this manor. Much as I hate to say that. Those bones must have come from somewhere though, eh? Not to mention the coffins."
Father Ó Shaban looked at the paper Sir Ascot refered to. With considerable attention.

"Well... Yes, Sir Ascot. Myself is ze exbert in ze african languages, and religion... And arrchitecture. I am ze exbert in ze many zings. Forr starters, inshallah, ze lebbers aren't hieroglyphs, I zink..."

The religious men and expert studied the script, almost sure he wouldnt know what it meant. He was an expert in many things, but he knew little about african languages that arent Arabic, Ancient Egiptian, and Coptic.

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:56 pm
by Philulhu
There was nothing in the text that Father Ó Shaban recognised, despite his extensive studies. The words looked completely alien to all of them.

The spiral staircases do go up to another floor.

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:35 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Oblivious to all this Dr Douglas says, "Well there seems to be one more floor at least. I can't see the local polis being interested in a load of old bones. They'd probaly blame it on the local wildlife and lay even more woe on that poor lad in custody and add desecration and grave robbing to the murder charge."

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:56 pm
by Philulhu
Can I have a KNOW or IDEA roll? Or Medicine, whichever you prefer.

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:45 am
by BoyBlunder78
75%
1d100
OOC:   Hard!  

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:07 am
by Philulhu
It occurs to Ruairi that although the crypt is empty, it is unlikely that the bones seen in the Manor House were taken from there. The bones they have seen were gnawed for their marrow, which would only happen when they were relatively fresh. Bones left in the crypt wouldn’t have had marrow in them.

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"Perhaps we should finish exploring the hoose before we report our findings," says Bonnie.

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:31 am
by Snapper

"Well, I think everyone is agreed we keep exploring before we contact the authorities. Which suits me, I'm curious now."

"Depending on what we find upstairs, I'm still keen to double check there's not a cellar. Surely, some old Scottish laird would want a bolt hole to hide himself and his gold in when the redcoats were about?"

Ascot carefully cocks the revolver again and heads up the stairs. "How high can this places go?"

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:38 pm
by BoyBlunder78
"Everyone be on there guard, all these bones can't have been from the crypt on account of the fact that there would've been no marrow left in the ancient bones. Like i said before, these bones are from fit and healthy folk." Ruairi says as he holds his lantern high and heads towards the stairs. Shotgun cocked.

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:02 pm
by Philulhu
Sorry, me again! For clarity, all of the bones are old, not fresh. Dr. Douglas would be able to tell that from a quick examination as any tendons, muscles, etc. are long gone.

At the time they were gnawed, however, the previous owners were likely to have been freshly deceased, otherwise there would be little point in chewing them open.

Hope this helps :)

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:05 pm
by Joajackson
Father Ó Shaban finally spoke about the strange writing they asked him to check.

"As expected, combanions. Yes, zis wrritings are nonsense. Or maybe a tybe of malasian cuneiform, yes? They mean nozing in any language I know of."

Relevant to the bone situation.

"No gud follower of our Lord would let bones of zeir fellow man to rot, yes? Ze old bones deserve the same resbect as ze new ones. But lets all be careful. Zis house looks exactly like de last visit I did to ze sahara, yes. Depresators dens, zem are always filled wiz bones."

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:30 pm
by BoyBlunder78
BoyBlunder78 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:38 pm "Everyone be on there guard, all these bones can't have been from the crypt on account of the fact that there would've been no marrow left in the ancient bones. Like i said before, these bones are from fit and healthy folk." Ruairi says as he holds his lantern high and heads towards the stairs. Shotgun cocked.
Shaking his head at his own ramblings, Dr Douglas reflects that maybe he's still a little bit shaken from the statue encounter. "Sorry, I know what I said was bloody obvious, just trying to fill the silence."

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:30 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Philulhu wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:02 pm
Sorry, me again! For clarity, all of the bones are old, not fresh. Dr. Douglas would be able to tell that from a quick examination as any tendons, muscles, etc. are long gone.

At the time they were gnawed, however, the previous owners were likely to have been freshly deceased, otherwise there would be little point in chewing them open.

Hope this helps :)
No need to apologise, i got the wring end of the stick. :D

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:16 am
by Snapper

"Good point, Doc, I did not realise these bones were, ah, more recent. Where did they come from then, I wonder? It makes me question how many people have actually been buried, or stayed buried, in recent years in the local cemetery. But how would the local people not know?"

"And there's still the question of what is doing this. Also, and I cannot stress this enough, this is making my skin crawl."

Trying to focus on the task in hand, Ascot prowls up the stairs.

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:36 am
by Mr. Handy

Bonnie follows them upstairs, her rifle at the ready in case the model for that statue appears.

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:49 am
by Philulhu
The spiral staircase lead up to the final floor. Unlike the floors below, this wasn’t partitioned but instead was one large rectangular room. Immediately to the right at the top of the stairs there was a barred wooden door, with another door further along the same wall. On the left hand wall, there were two further doors, although the furthest one was barely hanging from its hinges.

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:50 am
by BoyBlunder78
"I think we should check this open door before we check the others." mentions Ruairi as he walks slowly into the room. Noting the lack of bones. " Seems to be no bones here, either the creature hasnt been here, or" Looking at the door on its hinges, "may have its 'nest' here."

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:51 am
by Snapper

"That sounds like a plan. Let's have a look." Ascot heads for the door barely hanging.

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:04 am
by Mr. Handy

Bonnie nods, standing directly across from and training her rifle on the open door.

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:30 pm
by Philulhu
The small room behind the broken door contained ragged African clothing and decorations around the walls. Noticeably, the trail of bones that they had seen on the second spiral staircase seemed to lead here, and there were a couple of larger bones that had been gnawed through in search of the marrow inside.

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:06 pm
by BoyBlunder78
"Looks like we may have found the beasts lair." Everyone be on their guard!"/color] Dr Douglas holding the lantern high walks slowly to the door next to the broken door. And listens to see of he can hear anything.
1d100
OOC:   pass  

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:43 am
by Mr. Handy

Bonnie trains her rifle on this door and stands ready.

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:15 am
by Philulhu
The second door was of more solid construction, with a heavy lock and key in situ.

Listening at the door, Dr Douglas could hear pigeons cooing.

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:41 pm
by Snapper

"Doc, if you can open the door, I'll be ready to see what's behind it."

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:41 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Reaching out for the handle, Dr Douglas turns to Ascit and Bonnie " On three, ready? 1......
2... ..
3....!!"

The Doctor turns the handle quickly and pushes the door open, jumping back in expectation .

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:43 am
by Philulhu
The door swung about halfway before it got stuck on the floor. Simultaneously, there was a sudden burst of movement and a rapid fluttering noise and if took a moment for them to realise that the door had opened onto a small balcony and they had disturbed a pigeon which had made its nest there…

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:53 am
by Joajackson
Father Ó Shaban, that had stayed behind them all for security spoke, incapable of seeing beyond the group to the balcony.

"Based in yourr silence, I can do ze subbosition zat ze group has found no beast, yes? Zat of the beast was a medusa, and now you are all of ze stone."

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:36 am
by Mr. Handy

"Just a wee pigeon," says Bonnie.

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:38 pm
by Snapper

"I remember reading about the Medusa when I was a boy! Can't remember much else about the story except it was beheaded by King Arthur with Excalibur, and then the three hundred Spartans are killed."

"Right, next door if you please, Doc."

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:28 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Nodding somely the doctor moves to the next door. Grabbing the handle, turning his head to face Ascot and Bonnie. Once more into the breach my friends......
3.......!

Once again he flings the door open, stepping back onto of the way.

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:30 am
by Philulhu
This is the plan of the top level of the Manor House.

You entered via the staircase bottom right. The room with the broken door and all the African artefacts was top left and the second door leading onto the pigeon-infested balcony was bottom left. Following your direction of travel, I’m assuming that the next door you try will be bottom right, adjacent to the spiral staircase you ascended.

As the other stood ready, Dr Douglas pulled hard at the handle but the door didn’t move. It was stuck fast.

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:02 am
by BoyBlunder78
OOC:   so is this the barred door? Or would the be the last door top right?  

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:20 am
by Snapper

"Shall we try the other doors first, and see which ones we can open? Then we can come back to that door." Ascot moves onto the next door.

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:53 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye," says Bonnie, covering the next door. "If we cannae get the stuck door open later, I can always use my tools to remove the hinges."

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:59 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Dr Douglas nods and moves on to the next door. Nodding at the pair as he grips the handle, breathing deeply, he starts to.count.
"1.......
3......"

Teeming the handle and pushing the door.

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:37 pm
by Philulhu
It was the door to the bottom right which was stuck. The one you’re currently trying is top right, which leads onto…

The door opened onto another balcony akin to the battlement of a castle with a crenellated wall that offered a view up the hill behind the house. There were no pigeons on this side.

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:13 am
by Snapper

Without stepping onto the balcony, Ascot peers out suspiciously. "I hate those pigeons, winged vermin. More importantly, I don't know how much I'd trust these balconies to not fall."

Spoiler:
Is there anything odd to be seen in the surrounding countryside from this elevation? Weird temples, stone circles etc?

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:42 am
by Mr. Handy

"Right," says Bonnie, "if the balcony's empty, then let's try to open the stuck door."

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:02 pm
by Philulhu
The balconies are more like the battlements you would see on medieval castles. They are part of the fabric of the building and are constructed with stone floors and walls. They aren’t going anywhere - they’re probably still there now (if it weren’t for the fact it’s a made-up location…)

Ascot doesn’t see any eldritch structures in the woods around the house.

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:22 am
by Snapper

Ascot heads over to the barred door and inspects it.

OOC:   Are there wooden boards that can be prized off to open the door? Does it look like it could just be broken down?  

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:37 am
by Philulhu
The door appears to be barred from the inside...

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:52 am
by Snapper

"Time to put my rugby skills to use."

Ascot holsters his revolver, takes a run up and shoulder slams the door...

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:31 am
by Mr. Handy

Bonnie hopes this will work, but she's ready with her tools if it doesn't. And if that won't work, someone will have to go out on the balcony and climb around to one of the room's windows in order to open the door from the inside. She has her rifle ready in case there's anything hostile on the other side.

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:07 am
by Philulhu
Can I have a strength check, please.

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:35 am
by Snapper

1d%H80

Ascot rebounds off the door with a pained grunt. "I keep forgetting I'm not a young man anymore."

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:09 pm
by Joajackson
Snapper wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:35 am Image

1d%H80

Ascot rebounds off the door with a pained grunt. "I keep forgetting I'm not a young man anymore."
Father Ó Shaban after hearing that decided to bring the young man in the room yo the job.

"Comrrades, let ze young to do se work."

And so indicated to the scottish laddie he was paying yo break down the door.

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:48 pm
by Philulhu
Hamish lumbered forward, looked at the door, looked at Father Ó Shaban, and shrugged. He stepped back and shoved hard with his shoulder, trying to burst through…

1d100

There was a splintering noise and door gave way, leaving Hamish stumbling into the room with a sheepish look in his face…

Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:46 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well done!" says Bonnie.

Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:00 am
by Snapper

"Good work, lad. You're welcome in the back row of my rugby team any day." Ascot draws the revolver again and heads into the room.

Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:08 am
by BoyBlunder78
Raiding his lantern Dr Douglas hurries behind Ascot attempting to illuminate as much of the room as he can. "Does anyone else think its odd that the door seemed to be locked from the inside?"

Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:25 am
by Philulhu
Lying against the wall at the far side of the room, was a body under a blanket. A quick perusal of the room suggested that the furniture (a bed and chest of drawers) had been used to barricade the door. Notches had been cut into the floor to provide anchor points for spars that had kept the furniture in place until 200lbs of prime Scottish beef had come barrelling through.

Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:38 am
by BoyBlunder78
"Looks like someone was very afraid of something out there." Ruairi says as he makes his way over to the body. "Right, lets get a look at you, you poor devil." He goes to remove the blanket.
OOC:   cue sanity rolll.....  

Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:48 am
by Philulhu
Moving the blanket from the body, Dr Douglas could see the rather desiccated corpse of an adult man. He was of about average height, with grey hair and about two week’s growth of beard, with the deeply tanned skin of a man who spent a lot of time outdoors. There were no signs of violence that may have lead to his death.

Dr. D’s a medical man so he’s seen dead bodies before (likewise Father Ó Shaban) but anyone else should make a SAN roll if they take a closer look.

Lose one point of SAN if you fail.

Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:28 pm
by BoyBlunder78
" Intial examination shows no signs of trauma." DrDouglas carefully turns the body to examine the rear.
OOC:   Can i determine the genaeral age of the deceased?  

Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:52 pm
by Snapper

1d%50%

"Ugh! Definitely not our murderer and killer of sheep, anyway."

"How long do you reckon this chap has been here, Doc?"

Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:02 pm
by BoyBlunder78
1d100
OOC:   pass  

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:39 am
by Mr. Handy

"He may have died of thirst after locking himself in here," says Bonnie. "Do ye ken how he died, Doctor?"

Sanity roll (current level 65) for seeing the corpse:
d%

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:07 pm
by Philulhu
From his hair colour and general appearance, you would say that the man was probably somewhere upwards of 40, but his desiccated condition doesn’t allow you to be sure.

As for how long he has been here, most like many decades.

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:41 pm
by Joajackson
Father Ó Shaban observed the body with quiet curiosity.

"English comrrades, is ze tradition of ze english and scottish to leave corpses arround? Zis house is so fill of corpses, zis place appears as ze cementery."

While commenting this the priest was cheaking the furniture than Hamish has pushed, maybe it could have something relevant.

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:49 pm
by BoyBlunder78
OOC:   Can i tell the most likely cause of death?  
Philulhu wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:07 pm
From his hair colour and general appearance, you would say that the man was probably somewhere upwards of 40, but his desiccated condition doesn’t allow you to be sure.

As for how long he has been here, most like many decades.

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:18 pm
by Philulhu
There are no signs of violence so the man died of natural causes as far as Dr D can tell.

Give me an IDEA/KNOW roll if you want to speculate further.

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:23 pm
by BoyBlunder78
1d100

Well thats embarrassing...

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:26 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Mr. Handy wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:39 am Image

"He may have died of thirst after locking himself in here," says Bonnie. "Do ye ken how he died, Doctor?"

Sanity roll (current level 65) for seeing the corpse:
d%

" Without a proper medical examination i couldn't say for certain. Though it is the most likely cause. No signs of obvious physical trauma[ and that they were securely barricaded in the room also adds to that conclusion. "/color]

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:42 am
by Snapper

Ascot joins Shaban in having a poke around the room.

"Actually, I'm British Rhodesian, but generally, Father, dead people go in the ground even in Scotland, is my understanding. Although this is my first time here too."

"Back home, we get the odd dead person chewed on by lion or tiger, or killed by a hundred other nasties. But they're all pretty fresh and get cremated or buried in short order. I've never seen so many old human bones in one place in my life before."

He pauses mid-search for a second. "Except Paris. There are an awful lot of old bones in the catacombs under Paris. I went on a tour of the catacombs once, just after the War. I don't think that helps us here, though."

OOC:   Is there anything visible on the body to help identify him, like a necklace or ring?  

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:47 am
by Mr. Handy

"Oh, aye," says Bonnie. "We bury our dead too. But this man died alone and trapped in here, so nobody found him before now. Perhaps we should search him. He may have something on him that would identify him."

What was he wearing? Can we tell what era his clothes were from based on the style?

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:00 am
by Philulhu
The man had a nondescript silver ring on one of the fingers of his right hand but no other jewellery. Examining the body more closely, Dr Douglas found some rather crudely done tattoos on his arms, mainly with a nautical theme.

Most of the furniture had been broken up to bar the door so it gave no clue as to the identity of the late occupant of the room.

History roll, please.

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:28 am
by Snapper

Ascot checks both stairwells to see if there are further floors above.

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:21 am
by Mr. Handy

"I dinna ken just how long he's been sealed up in here," says Bonnie. "I canna place how old his clothes are. I've been too busy working on cars to pay attention to the history of fashion."

History roll (5% base skill) about the clothing:
d%

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:23 pm
by Philulhu
Ascot checked the staircases but this was indeed the top floor.

Bonnie was unable to determine how old the clothes were, but if pressed, she’d describe them as ‘old-fashioned’.

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:44 pm
by BoyBlunder78
"Jusging by the tattoo's it may be a good shout that this gentleman may be one of sailors who cane back from Africa[, looks like they brouhht back more than they bargained for. Shall we slowly make our downstairs?"/color]

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:23 am
by Snapper

Ascot seizes the moment to use his new binoculars and peer out from the various top floor balconies and 'windows', still looking for his suspected wild cats. "Where are you hiding, kitty?"

Are there any tracks to be seen coming in through the battlements?

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:36 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, let's go downstairs," says Bonnie. "If there's a basement, we should check it next. He must have been behind that door for a long time. He may have been there over a century. His clothes did look old-fahsioned."

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:39 am
by BoyBlunder78
OOC:   Is there any wrapon mear the body? Anything he may have had to defend himself?  

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:31 am
by Philulhu
Near the body, Dr Douglas could see a small bone-handled knife. The blade was probably no more than three inches longer and it must have been sharpened many times, for the original shape of the blade was long-since gone.

From the balcony, Ascot could see where the tracks lead to and from the tree where they found the sheep, but even though he scanned the area patiently, there was no sign of any big cat.

Bonnie and Father Ó Shaban made their way back downstairs, with Hamish in tow. They looked in all the rooms for any sign of a basement but there were none. They only thing they found was a low ceiling, which Hamish found with his forehead…

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:18 am
by Mr. Handy

"What's above this room?" wonders Bonnie aloud. "Maybe there's something hidden between floors here."

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:54 am
by Snapper

"Come on Doc, before they get themselves in hot water, eh?" Ascot starts making his way back downstairs.

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:08 am
by BoyBlunder78
Dr Douglas picks up the knife for a closer inspection. Before heading off after Ascot.
OOC:   can i roll a spot hidden or is there another roll?  

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:58 pm
by Philulhu
You can attempt a spot hidden roll.

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:40 pm
by BoyBlunder78
1d100

Squeaked it...

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:01 am
by Philulhu
Dr Douglas examined the knife carefully but found nothing out of the ordinary. It was just a well-used blade.

It was a successful roll, but sometimes there’s just nothing to find.

Downstairs, Bonnie examined the stone ceiling of the ground floor but could only conclude that it was solid stone, that Hamish was particularly tall and the only space to be found was between his ears…

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:40 am
by Joajackson
Father Ó Shaban looked at the low ceiling and thought about it for a moment, and tried to consider if there was any piece of general knowledge of this type of house that could explain it.

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:58 am
by Mr. Handy

"I think we've explored the whole hoose, and there doesna seem to be a basement," says Bonnie. "I suppose once we're done here, we should explore the grounds."

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:32 am
by Snapper

Catching up with those on the ground floor, Ascot looks unthrilled. "Considering the coffins, I believe we should have a look in the family crypt. Not that I want to."

"We must be careful. Maybe some of those bones have been here awhile, but that sheep certainly hasn't. Whatever animal left it in the tree must not be far. And if it's any sort of predator, it knows we're here."
Grimly, Ascot draws his revolver again, ready to head back outside.

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:36 am
by BoyBlunder78
Eventually Dr Douglas catches up with the group. "With all the coffins being dragged here id say the family crypt must be close by. Ascot with your experince of the dark continent have you seen anything like this? The poor devil upstairs had it to defend himseld from from what ever creature lurks here." He hands him the bone handles knife.

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:04 am
by Snapper

"None of it rings any bells with me. I may not have been moving in wrong enough circles, eh?"

"Off topic, I believe one of the other buildings we saw on the way in might be the family crypt."

Ascot studies the bone handled knife.

Can Ascot make a Natural World or other roll to try to identify the bone? Has he ever seen a similar knife?

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:01 am
by Philulhu
The knife struck Ascot as perfectly ordinary, one of many cheaply-produced at ports around the world.

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:48 am
by Mr. Handy

"Let's go take a look," says Bonnie.

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:27 am
by Snapper

Ascot leaves the knife on the nearest table. "Just a knife.
Whatever all this is, it's not the Africa I live in."
He heads outside, revolver safely pointed upwards.

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:04 am
by BoyBlunder78
Dr Douglas picks up the knife, thinking it will make a nice memento, a conversational piece for when they return to London.

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:29 pm
by Joajackson
Father Ó Shaban looked unconvinced to De Douglas

"Forrgiveness friend. But I believe ze taking of ze knive would be highly inapropiate. Wiz ze amount of ze bodies in here, it could be considered, graverobbery."

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:28 pm
by BoyBlunder78
"It is also a form.of defense. Maybe a weapon from the creatures place of origin might be the inky way to harm it, if it is a demon as you say. After all the poor devil upstairs chose it over a gun or any other larger intsrumemt to defend himself." Replies Dr Douglas A little taken back by someone from organised religion accusing him of grave robbing.

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:38 am
by Philulhu
The sun had risen further above the trees so it was at least a little warmer as they made their way out of the house and across to the family crypt, which stood about 30 yards from the house.

The entrance to the crypt comprised a wrought iron gate, which was standing ajar. The crypt was partially underground and it was damp and cool inside. There were banks of stone shelves on each side, each big enough to accommodate a coffin. There were twelve in all, three deep and two wide on both sides.

All of the shelves were empty. Marks on the shelves suggested most of them had held coffins, but no longer.

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:43 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, we've seen some of these coffins," says Bonnie. "I wonder where the others went. Do tracks just go to the hoose, or do they go somewhere else too?"

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:36 am
by BoyBlunder78
OOC:   Werw all.the coffin shelves at the sides or is there like a main coffin in the middle?  

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:06 am
by Snapper

Swapping his revolver for the rather battered army rifle, Ascot does a circuit of the exterior of the crypt, looking for tracks. (Anything to avoid spending more time in the crypt.)

"Unless the coffins were moved quite recently, I should think Scotland's weather would pretty much obliterate any tracks in short order, eh?"

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:13 pm
by Philulhu
It was clear that the coffins hadn’t been moved recently. As Ascot did his tour around the crypt, there were no visible tracks between the house and the crypt other than their own.

The crypt just has shelves with a narrow passage between. There’s no head vampire-esque super coffin in the middle.

You haven’t counted the coffins in the house but the numbers of marks on the crypt shelves are about the same.

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:56 pm
by BoyBlunder78
"We must be missing something. A creature large enough to spirit off sheep and deposit them in trees shouldnt be that hard to spot. By all accounts we may have found its nest/lair but still bo sign of the beast. Maybe we
issed something in the house. I wonder if the library would have the plans?"
Dr Douglas says to the group.

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:44 pm
by Snapper

Ascot is continuing to look outwards in all directions while circling outside the crypt. "You're right, Doc. I think I have missed something. No wild animal I have ever heard of would or could drag coffins from one building into another. It makes no sense."

"Doc, were the, ah, bones in the manor the right age to be from here? All the coffins must have been placed in here over 120 years ago. Did any of the bones seem, um, newer than that?"

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:04 am
by BoyBlunder78
" Without a full and proper examination i couldn't say accurately though i would say[ there is a good chance they were. The sheer amount of bones though would suggest some of them on the top floor being more recent."/color] replied Dr Douglas.
OOC:   Looking back at the first map. I think we missed a staircase. Did we go up the stairs which had the foot steps in the dust?  

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:11 am
by Mr. Handy

"What other structures are on the grounds?" asks Bonnie. "The beastie must have made its lair somewhere nearby."

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:40 am
by Snapper

"We haven't had a look in the stables yet, we should do that, eh?
But as I say, I don't believe this is a wild animal from any continent anymore. If we rule wild animals out, the other truly dangerous animal is Man."

"And that raises problems of its own. What people could do that?"
He gestures towards the crypt and manor.

"Let's go look in the stables, eh?"

Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:40 am
by Philulhu
Ascot lead the way to the stable block, a building that was big enough to hold a gig and a couple of horses. Of the carriage, there was no sign, but of the horses, only the weathered and gnawed bones remained.

You didn’t go up the staircase which had the footprints. You went up the other stairs (north west corner) instead.

You did go into the room at the top of the dusty staircase (the one with the statue).

Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:00 am
by BoyBlunder78
" Looks like ouir quarry doesnt discriminate woth it meals."Looking back up at the main building Dr Douglas " We must have missed something in the house. Strikes me as odd that a building this size would only have one staircase." Comments Dr Douglas as he extinguishes his lantern.

Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:50 am
by Mr. Handy

"But there was a second staircase," says Bonnie. "We should follow it all the way to the top."

Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:15 am
by Snapper

Ascot shrugs, unconvinced. "Animal or person, I'm pretty confident we would have been aware of their presence if they were in the manor with us. You go ahead and check the other staircase."

"In Africa, sometimes we would stake out a goat on a rope to lure a tiger or lion in. My plan is to keep tabs on the sheep in the tree. Sooner or later our mystery killer of sheep is going to come back for that."
Ascot slings the rifle and pulls his new binoculars up to have a look at the sheep-bearing tree.

OOC:   Can the party see the dead sheep in the tree from where they currently are or from somewhere near the manor?  

Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:04 pm
by BoyBlunder78
" i think Bonnie is right. While we the sun we should check it out. Hopefully our quarry is nocturnal and we may catch it napoing as it were."

Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:49 pm
by Philulhu
The sheep is visible in the tree. Ascot can see it as he walks around the crypt.

Are you heading back to the house?

Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:32 pm
by Snapper

Ascot nods. "Sounds like a plan. I'll wait out here and watch the sheep. But I'll stay as close to the manor as I can. if you need assistance, just yell, eh?"

As promised, he heads for a point closer to the manor but where he can see the sheep.

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:15 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye," says Bonnie, "Or if it's really bad, I'll fire my rifle again." She heads back to the house.

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:27 am
by BoyBlunder78
"The same for you. Be vigilant Ascot we still dont know if its a solitary beast." Dr Douglas turns and follows Bonnie.

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:38 pm
by Snapper

"Thank you kindly, I shall be on my guard, eh?" Ascot maintains a watch on the sheep from as close to the manor as he can manage, periodically scrutinising the dead beast through his new binoculars.

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:40 pm
by Philulhu
Can I have a POW roll, please?

OOC: Where are you planning to start your search?

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:44 pm
by BoyBlunder78
I think probaly in the room where we found the coffins, then look.for the other stairs.

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:28 am
by Snapper

1d%p50%

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:38 am
by Mr. Handy

I thought we already searched the room with the coffins, but okay.

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:04 am
by BoyBlunder78
OOC:   Is the room exactly as we were here before?  

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:01 pm
by Philulhu
As Ascot patrolled the outside of the house, he realised that he was unable to watch the tree with the sheep and the door to the house at the same time.

As he strolled around the side of the house with the sheep, he also couldn’t shake the feeling that he was being watched…

The four of them trooped back into the house and into the room with the coffins, which they found in exactly the same state as they had left it.

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:00 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Walking over to the other staircase Dr Douglas looked T the footsteps in the dust."These must be fairly recent as they are still fairly visible. Wonder if they are the police footprints?"
OOC:   can we tell how many footprints they are?  

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:38 pm
by Philulhu
It appears that there are two sets of footprints going up and down the stairs nearest the door.

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:09 am
by BoyBlunder78
"Right then, i say lets follow these two people and see whats so interesting about thes upper levels." Dr Douglas makes his way to the stairs.
OOC:   Whats the light like here? Now thats its daylight?  

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:33 am
by Snapper

Ascot focuses on keeping the dead sheep in sight but staying as close to the manor as he can while doing that. Warily, he keeps his rifle in his hands. Periodically, he glances about at the surrounding trees, wondering what's watching him and looking for any movement.

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:55 am
by Mr. Handy

"If they were police footprints, they'd be all over the place," says Bonnie. "They'd have searched every room. But, yes, let's follow them."

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:29 am
by BoyBlunder78
"True, then where are those footprints? Where was the body found?" Ponders DrDouglas.

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:26 am
by Joajackson
BoyBlunder78 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:29 am "True, then where are those footprints? Where was the body found?" Ponders DrDouglas.
"Terrible mistery Doctorr Douglas, Inshallah."

Father Ó Shaban said with worry.

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:53 am
by BoyBlunder78
Warily, Dr Douglas starts ascending the stairs.

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:55 pm
by Philulhu
Ascot kept an eye out as he walked but he couldn’t see any movement.

The light wasn’t the best because of the small windows and the gloomy day but party could see two sets of footprints heading up the stairs, leading to the room with the statue. They stopped at the top of the staircase, then returned the way they had came.
OOC:   The body was found on the road to the village, not in the house itself.  

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:18 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Depending what we find here, i wouldn't mind having another look at that statue. Now that my nerves have calmed down. It was a most striking creation." Dr Douglas mentions as he walks up the stairs.

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:12 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, well, if it had been alive, it wouldna be any more," says Bonnie, following.

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:53 am
by BoyBlunder78
"Very true." , responds Dr Douglas casting a rye smile aye Bonnie.

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:31 am
by Philulhu
The forbidding-looking statue looked down upon them as before, minus its jaw which Hamish had deposited in the garden.

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:58 am
by BoyBlunder78
Holding up his lamp Dr Douglas inspects the statue, to see if they are any symbols or markings we may have missed.
1d100
OOC:   Oooh squeaked it!!  

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:40 pm
by Philulhu
A careful examination of the plinth of the statue revealed a panel that moved to one side. Hidden behind it, in a small alcove, was a worn, handwritten notebook.

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:22 pm
by BoyBlunder78
" Now now,what do we have here?" coos Dr Douglas as he retrieves the book. Examining the cover.

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:57 pm
by Philulhu
The notebook was about twice a large as a pocket diary, bound in scuffed brown leather.

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:19 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Dr Douglas carefully opens the book, looking for any information which may identify the author.

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:15 am
by Mr. Handy

"Ooh, well spotted, Doctor," says Bonnie.

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:14 am
by Philulhu
There were no identifying marks on the inside cover, just a scrap of paper with some strange writing on it. In carefully written capital letters were the words, “NIHAR CTHOR HAG NAATHI IST’HE GHLAN GHEIHNT’HOR.”

Doctor Douglas could feel the hairs on the back of his neck rise as he read the unusual text.

Are you reading the rest of the book?

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:46 pm
by BoyBlunder78
In my head yes.......

Dr Douglas calls over to Father Ò Shaban " What do you make of this language?"

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:19 am
by Joajackson
BoyBlunder78 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:46 pm
In my head yes.......

Dr Douglas calls over to Father Ò Shaban " What do you make of this language?"
Father Ó Shaban looked at the language warily.

"Ohh. No... No Doctor, I don't know nothing of this language. This is not from africa... No. Not at all."

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:42 am
by Mr. Handy

"It's nae Scots," says Bonnie.

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:43 am
by Philulhu
OOC:   As you said the good doctor was reading the book, this is what you read.  

It was quickly clear to Dr Douglas that the notes in the book had been written by Alex McMorn, although much of the writing inside was indecipherable, and none of it was dated, although it could be assumed to be in chronological order. The book made several references to McMorn’s pets and there were also a number of mentions of a place called T’gaorl, a city deep in the African jungles, which he had discovered on his travels. The more interesting of the legible entries were as follows.

“All is going well. The common folk now hate and fear me sufficiently to shun the house entirely. Douglas and Yuba have finished planting the trees. My great experiment is about to begin.“

“I’m feeding them as the witch doctor told me. They are growing strong and the hunger increases. All is well.“

“The idiots in the village come bringing their Christmas gifts as they say is customary. T’was fortunate there was nothing hanging in the store room.”

“No one in Edinburgh seems to have knowledge of the tomes I seek. I am loath to seek further afield as I need much gold to buy food for my pets, yet t’would be as well to have more knowledge before they are fully grown. What shall I do I wonder?“

“That scum Lennox sought to cheat me. The corpses were fresh and un-hung. Good fortune that I had to sense to keep back some of the contents of the crypt. My pets seem particularly fond of mother. Perhaps they can somehow tell who it is, they eat.“

“I am running short of gold and things are still not full grown. I have tried to get them to sleep as I saw in the city of T’gaorl, but they hunger still. Soon I will have no choice but to feed them sheep.“

The final entry was:

“Today, they tasted blood for the first time. I must now trust to God, but I have forgotten how. At least if I die, foolish villagers will not come here for many years and the things will, as like perish of hungry. Yet they should be fully grown by now. Why will they not sleep? Why? Why?”

OOC:   1d6

Dr D loses 2 points of SAN for reading the book.  

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:13 am
by BoyBlunder78
His hands shaking, Dr Douglas slowly lowers the book. "Its McMorns journal," He tells the others."He brought back something from Africa, the trees. He talks of a hidden city, of wotch doctors. He says he fed his 'pets' on bodies drained of blood and when he couldn't get him fed tyem the bodies of his family from the crypt. And how they loved eatingbhis mother!!What an ungodly man, his last entry was just ranti g on how they have tasted blood and he hopes that the villagers stay away and the creatures might die." Shaking his head muttering under his breath, " The trees...trees....the creatures are linked to them.....inside them? No....could they be living inside them?" His eyes suddenly widen in terror and he stares at the Father and Bonnie shouting "THE TREES!! ITS IN THE TREES!! CHRIST WE MUST WARN ASCOT!!!" and turns and runs from the room, pocketing the diary. "QUICKLY!"

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:08 pm
by Philulhu
All Ascot could hear as the party burst out of the front door was, "THE TREES!! ITS IN THE TREES!!”

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:36 pm
by Mr. Handy

Bonnie hurries outside, gripping her rifle.

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:10 pm
by Snapper

Ascot turns to observe the entourage charging out of the house and raises an eyebrow, but does not otherwise move. "Ah, well if it didn't know we were here before." He turns back to regard the surrounding trees.

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:23 am
by Philulhu
The leaves moved gently in a light breeze but other than that the woods were silent and still.

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:40 am
by Joajackson
Father Ó Shaba looked worriedly to the trees, but seemed mostly confused. For being safe, he made sure to stay close to Hamish. If the predator was hunting, he wasn't going to be able to defend himself without the young man help.

"Dr Douglas, please, can you explain what ze prroblem with ze trees?"

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:42 am
by BoyBlunder78
Reaching Ascot ,Dr Douglas breathing hard,"Whatever this creature is its kining inside the trees! We found McMorns journal and it exolains that he brought these abominations over from Africa. He waa feesing and growing something in them! It's all here in this!" Dr Douglas raises up the book.

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:50 am
by BoyBlunder78
Turning to Father O'Shaban, "McMorn states in his journal that he learned some hellish knowledge from a witch doctor from some gudden city in Africa. He brought these....affronts of nature", He gestures to the trees with him and planted the seeds a d inside is a creature. His journal tells of him hanging up.bodies for the beast to feed on and how whe
He couldn't get bodies, he fed it his family corpses! The last entry states that it has tasted human blood for the first time and preys that the villagers may stay away and the creature may starve to death. Alas recent events seem.to disprove his hopes! There is alsoa strange inscription, the i e i showed you Father which i dare not read out loud as i do not know if it will aid or hinder us."

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:52 am
by Joajackson
The Priest decided to try to calm down the man, for the doctor clearly had read things that had perturbed him greatly.

"Dr Douglas, please. Inshallah, slow your mind and heart. Ze evils of ze beyond are not present in here."

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:11 am
by Mr. Handy

"If they live in the trees, would chopping them down flush them out?" asks Bonnie.

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:14 am
by Joajackson
Mr. Handy wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:11 am Image

"If they live in the trees, would chopping them down flush them out?" asks Bonnie.
"Seeing how ze sheep ended, I wouldn't be nearby ze place."

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:42 am
by BoyBlunder78
"Possibly, theres also this phrase, which may also be away of summoning or banishing them," Dr Douglas shows them the words, "Although we have no way of knowing how many of these things are here? I wonder what the villagers make of the trees? The book mentions someone named Lennox who supplied the bodies, could he have been from the village?"

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:09 pm
by Snapper

"So what are we saying? These beasties live in the African trees?"

Ascot pulls up his shiny new binoculars again and has a look at several of the strange trees.

OOC:   Is anything strange visible up any of the African trees? Is there room for something to partially hollow out a trunk and live inside it?  

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:16 pm
by Joajackson
"I would rreally be against ze destruction of ze trees, at least while we arre in ze close arrea. We could talk to ze locals, yes? Say ze trees have malaria insects or such, and burn them with ze help of ze farmers."

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:35 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Joajackson wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:16 pm "I would rreally be against ze destruction of ze trees, at least while we arre in ze close arrea. We could talk to ze locals, yes? Say ze trees have malaria insects or such, and burn them with ze help of ze farmers."

"That wouldn't help the reason we are here and more importantly wont help that poor soul in custody. We need to kill or capture this thing. Some one in the village must know something."

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:33 pm
by Philulhu
The African trees were straighter and with fewer branches than their indigenous counterparts, and the canopy was higher so it was clear to see that there was nothing lodged up them (other than the one solitary sheep).

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:36 am
by Snapper
OOC:   How far is the nearest tree from the party?  

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:56 am
by Philulhu
About 45 feet (roughly 15 metres).

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:50 am
by Mr. Handy

"Where does it go when it's nae in the trees, I wonder?" asks Bonnie. "Well, it's bound to come back for the sheep at some point. I have an idea. I could rig up a small device that transmits a radio signal, and we could place it inside the sheep. If the sheep is taken, I could use my equipment to track the radio signal."

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:02 pm
by Philulhu
I’m not 100% convinced the technology exists at this point in history to build something small enough and robust enough but I’m happy to be proved wrong if you can point me to a suitable source?

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:02 pm
by Snapper
OOC:   TBH, my image of early '30s radio is something the size of a suitcase.  

"I have a counter proposal that won't take more than a few minutes and requires no invention. As I hope I've made clear, I am no genius but I have a practical side. So, I fire a few rounds into the nearest of these African trees. If there's an animal hiding in that tree, it should come haring out."

"If not, repeat for the next tree. If nothing comes out of any tree, we chop them down. Does anyone have an objection?"

In readiness, Ascot sights his battered old army rifle on the nearest African tree.

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:33 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Dr Douglas gulps, his voice quivering, "I could read out this phrase? It must have some importance to be included in the journal. Hold tour bullets to see if there is any effect?"

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:50 pm
by Snapper

Ascot shrugs. "Do you think it is a phrase the beast is trained to respond to? Be my guest, Doc." He does not look overly convinced but Ascot lowers his rifle to wait on the results.

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:34 am
by BoyBlunder78
"Worth a try" Dr Douglas looks at Ascot Then steps forward, holding the journal in his shaking hands he recites the phrase, "NIHAR CTHOR HAG NAATHI IST’HE GHLAN GHEIHNT’HOR.”

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:55 am
by Joajackson
Father Ó Shaban really made sure to stay separated from any tree with at least any other human, for he really was the weakest of the group and didn't have any weapons.

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:38 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, let's try it," says Bonnie. She positions herself behind cover as far from the trees, but still within rifle range, and takes aim in the trees' direction.

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:32 am
by Philulhu
Dr. Douglas’ voice rang out with the strange phrasing of the words on the note that sounded so alien to them. There was no obvious change in the trees, their leaves just continued to sway in the light breeze.

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:29 pm
by Snapper

"It was worth a try, Doc. I don't know anymore how much common sense applies here, but it seems likely that weird language was being used no more recently then a hundred years ago. It might have worked then as a command for some kind of trained response, like 'heel'. But whatever animal is alive now must surely be that animal's great grand-kitten?"

Ascot raises his rifle again and starts sighting the nearest tree.

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:56 pm
by BoyBlunder78
"I dont whether to be relieved or disappointed" Dr Douglas says as he slowly lowers the book. "Save your ammo Ascot, jave you a knife or anything to cut into the tree?Another option is to.come back at night, whatever the creature maybe it seems to be more active then."

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:52 pm
by Snapper

"I think I'd rather shoot from this distance than get closer. Those trees and this whole place are giving me nerves."

Ascot raises the rifle, sights and fires at the nearest tree, about midway up its trunk. Those who have memories of the War will be familiar with the sound of a Lee-Enfield.

1d%FL65%

With a meaty 'thunk', a 303 bullet smacks into the tree trunk.

2d6+4

OOC:   13 points damage, if it matters.  

Ascot pauses to watch with interest for a response from some hidden animal.

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:19 am
by Mr. Handy

"If ye want to chop down a tree," says Bonnie, "ye need an axe. And I dinna think we're dealing with a kitten."

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:31 am
by BoyBlunder78
"Its neen a long night, why dont we go back to the hotel and get some much needed rest and a bite to eat? I wouldn't mind going back to the library ams seeing if i can find any information on what we found in this journal,
and also these trees"
Dr Douglas walks gingerly over to where Ascot shot the tree, looking fir a big enough piece of bark to pick up and examine.

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:41 am
by Philulhu
The tree swayed, its leaves rustling with the impact of the bullet. Some bark fell away but no creature burst forth.

As the sound of the shot fell away, they heard a stern voice from behind them. ”So, whit’s goan on here, then?”

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:37 pm
by Snapper
OOC:   What time is it? I had the impression it was still morning.  

Slightly disappointed not to see some critter racing out of the tree with its tail between its legs, Ascot holds his rifle at 'port arms' and looks around to see who has spoken, his expression indignant.

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:11 pm
by Philulhu
It’s now about 9.30am, approximately 2.5 hours after Dr. Douglas last ate and the lack of food is making him delirious… ;)

They turned to see a rather grim-faced policeman observing them. He looked at the guns being carried and his brow furrowed. ”One of the Earl’s shooting parties, are ye? Ye’ve wandered off his land,” he said.

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:48 pm
by BoyBlunder78
obviously the the viscous assaults on my sanity have addled the good doctors mind... :oops:

"Morning officer, my companions and I were just looking around the Manor grounds, and just examining these extraordinary trees. They don't look indigenous to these parts Do you know what type they are by chance?"

Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:12 am
by Philulhu
The Constable looked at the bullet hole in the tree, then back to Dr. Douglas. ”It seems a strange way to examine a tree, and no, I don’t know what type of tree they are,” he replied.

Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:04 am
by Snapper

Ascot deftly flips the safety on and slings the rifle over his shoulder. "Spot of target practice. Just keeping my eye in. Don't think the tree cares over much."

"It was our impression this manor is abandoned, constable. Obviously, we wouldn't have intruded otherwise, eh?"
Ascot's accent is even thicker than usual, and he tries to adopt the look of clueless colonial who doesn't know better.

Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:49 am
by Mr. Handy

Bonnie also slings her rifle, but she decides it's best to keep her mouth shut.

Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:47 am
by Philulhu
The Constable glanced at the Manor House. ”Aye, it’s been abandoned many a year,” he replied. “Even so, I’d like ye to save your shooting for the birds,” he continued. “”The Earl has beaters to watch which way you’re firing.”

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:16 am
by Mr. Handy

Bonnie nods, her lips firmly sealed.

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:29 am
by BoyBlunder78
Gesturing to the house, " Beautiful building, what can you tell us about the place?"

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:00 am
by Philulhu
”Mair functional than beautiful, I reckon,” replied the Constable. ”And other than the facts it’s abandoned and the locals reckon it’s haunted, then that’s all I ken.”

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:06 am
by BoyBlunder78
"Haunted you say? I do love a good ghost story."

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:25 am
by Philulhu
The Police Constable looked at Dr. Douglas disparagingly. ”Be that as it may, I’ve got mair important things to de than be standing around telling ye ghost stories,” he replied sharply. “Get yerselves away down the village and I’m sure one of the locals will be all to happy to help ye.”

“Now, if ye’s have finished taking potshots at the flora, I’d be obliged if ye’ll take yerselves back to the Earl’s lands. Ye can carry on with yer shooting there and I can get on with my rounds.”
He nodded in the direction of a path through the woods towards the shooting grounds, and stood waiting for them to leave.

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:20 am
by BoyBlunder78
Dr Douglas picks up pieces of the bark and pockets it and trudges back to the group. " I wonder if McColls body was found near these trees? Like the sheep?" whispers Dr Douglas.

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:33 pm
by Philulhu
McColl’s body was found on the outskirts of the village, not up near the Manor House.

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:27 pm
by BoyBlunder78
OOC:   Ahhhh......knew it was the outskirts just wasnt sure if the Manor House cohnted as the outskirts. Thank you.  
Philulhu wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:33 pm
McColl’s body was found on the outskirts of the village, not up near the Manor House.

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:17 pm
by Mr. Handy

Bonnie nods again and walks toward the indicated path.

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:43 am
by BoyBlunder78
"If possible i would like to.rerurn to the library and try and corroborate the information in this journal if i can."

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:30 am
by Snapper

"Thank you, constable. Apologies for the trouble." Ascot steers the group in the direction indicated by Scotland's finest.

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:58 pm
by Philulhu
The Constable stood and watched them leave before turning back towards the village.

Where do you intend to go next?

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:14 am
by Snapper

"At some point, we're going to have to let that constable know that there are, ah, remains in that house that need to be buried at the very least. Which will lead him to ask how they got there. Not that we actually know."

"Meantime, I suggest we try to avoid running until him again today. But would it be worth coming back here in the evening? Perhaps this animal is nocturnal?"

Spoiler:
From our maps, what the party could see from the top floor windows etc, are there any thick woods nearby?

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"The body has probably been there over a century," says Bonnie, "and he seemed to have locked himself in the room. Of course, we'd have to explain how we knew the body was there and why we didn't tell him when we had the chance. Coming back in the evening could be a good idea."

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:30 am
by Philulhu
The house sits in a clearing and is surrounded by trees on all sides.

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:35 am
by Joajackson
Mr. Handy wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:10 am Image

"The body has probably been there over a century," says Bonnie, "and he seemed to have locked himself in the room. Of course, we'd have to explain how we knew the body was there and why we didn't tell him when we had the chance. Coming back in the evening could be a good idea."
Father ó Shaban seemed to have an idea.

"I believe it could be bosible for me to travel to ze Iverness and wrriite an anonimous letter, yes? No good christian man could refuse ze right words, ze soul and dignity of ze fellow man at stake."

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:10 pm
by Snapper

"Sounds like a sensible plan, Father."

"Meantime, what's our next move? Shall we go examine these strange trees, one by one? I might find some more tracks, you never know. We'll just have to avoid attracting the attentions of the good constable again."

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:29 pm
by BoyBlunder78
" I think that is a sound plan Ascot we should check by the trees fir anuthung out of the ordinary. At some point i would like to head back to the village and visit the library to try and find anything to explain what is in this journal, before we return tonight. There were distinct footprints in the manor, so someone has been there recently,possibly the young lad in the cells, possibly not but someone in the village has been here."

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:10 am
by Snapper

"Excellent, we're back in the hunt. And one fact we have established is these strange trees are part of the unhappy story."

Rubbing his hands together, Ascot heads towards the nearest tree, keeping half an eye out for the constable.

Ascot will be looking for tracks in the vicinity of each tree as the party progresses.

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:58 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye," says Bonnie. "We have plenty of time today. I suspect it was Dr. McBride who went through the manor recently. If I'm right, it's his ancestral home."

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:20 pm
by Philulhu
Track roll for Ascot, please. Everyone else roll Spot Hidden.

For Father Ó Shaban (25%) 1d100 (failed).

Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:08 am
by Mr. Handy

Bonnie's eagle eyes spot something.

Spot Hidden roll (50% skill) looking at the trees:
d%

Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:35 am
by Snapper

1d%50%

Ascot searches like a demon, sweat mops his brow even in this cool climate. "I will find you, you demonic animal," he growls through gritted teeth, his eyes blazing. Every piece of ground is scrutinised afresh, every twig and leaf examined, sniffed and carefully moved to see what is below. Ascot actually sniffs the ground and listens to it. Any small piece of animal dung is examined, felt, sniffed and ... even tasted before being spat out

Can Ascot push this roll?

Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:38 am
by BoyBlunder78
1d100

Dr Douglas thinks he sees something out the corner of his eye.....but its just a trick of the light.

Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:17 pm
by Philulhu
1d100

As they approached the Manor House through the trees, Bonnie spotted the policeman standing leaning against a tree, smoking a cigarette. He hadn’t spotted them returning but he had clearly expected them to return as soon as they thought he’d gone - he’d obviously dealt with their type before!

You could push the roll but there’s a very good chance you’d be spotted in doing so.

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:18 am
by Joajackson
Father Ó Shaban, always careful, had taken the habit of staying inside the group, and combined with his age and demeanour, explaining quite easily how he wouldnt notice something beyond the group.

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:19 am
by Mr. Handy

"Stop," whispers Bonnie. "The bobby is there, waiting for us to try to return, but he hasna seen us yet. We must leave before he does."

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:51 am
by Snapper

Ascot nods in resignation, spitting out dung. "Bfff! You're right. Let's not get ourselves arrested."

Spoiler:
No pushing roll for now.

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:43 pm
by Philulhu
We’re going here: Back to the Village.