Page 1 of 1

Strathmorn (everyone)

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:27 pm
by Philulhu
Main Road, Strathmorn, Inverness-shire
Thursday 19 March 1931. 2.45pm

The concierge arranged for a Hansom cab to run Bonnie home to pick up her car and she was back with half an hour, which was sufficient time for Dr Douglas to procure a torch and for Hamish to get his mam’s permission to leave town.

Making a stop at the Columba to collect Father Ó Shaban’s case, they were soon on their way to Strathmorn. Despite the smirr, they made a steady 30 mph, climbing up out of Inverness and heading inland, skirting the dark waters of Loch Ness in places.

A hour and half after they departed, just as everyone was starting to shuffle and twitch with having been cramped in the car, the sign ‘Strathmorn - 5 miles’ was spotted by the wayside. That was enough to raise the weary spirits of the travellers and just ten minutes later, they were driving into the village itself.

The stone-built dwellings looked compact, except for the hotel and the kirk, which were the tallest buildings in the village. Eyes were drawn however to some distance from the village where, wreathed by trees, stood the reputedly haunted manor, glowering over the homes below...

Re: Strathmorn (everyone)

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:54 pm
by BoyBlunder78
"Well that's certainly a forboding sight, gives me the Willie's. Nae wonder they say it haunted." Dr Douglas says as he gazes up at the mansion.

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:56 pm
by Joajackson
The Father Ó Shaban, that if nothing was weird was accompanied still by a payed scottish laddie, seemed happy to finally be able to get out of the vehicle.

"Ze man of ze west live forr ze auto, but man was not made for ze sbeed. No combanions. No. Walking is the way of ze man. And camels sometimes."

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:55 pm
by BoyBlunder78
" Couldnt agree more FatherHow about we sort our rooms out and then find out where the good Reverand is, and a get a feel fer this wee village."

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:57 pm
by Philulhu
The sound of a motorcar - most likely still a rarity in such a rural location - had drawn one or two villagers to their doorways, where they looked on with equal measures of curiosity and suspicion.

Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:19 am
by Mr. Handy

"Och, well, this woman was made for speed," says Bonnie, giving the villagers a cheery wave. The car looked even more out of place than a normal vehicle, especially with the radio antenna sticking up from it. "This is just cruising speed. Matt can go a lot faster than that. That's his name. It's an acronym, actually. It stands for MacKenzie Automotive Two Thousand. He's the car of the future. The body's a Rolls Royce 20/25, but I've made some modifications." She has her gun case in the boot, along with a toolkit, a hunting knife, and an electric torch.

Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:49 am
by Snapper

Ignoring the mutterings of his companions, Rourke circles the automobile and whistles in renewed appreciation. "This is a fine vehicle and no mistake. I freely confess my jealousy. As we are heading into mortal danger, will you promise to leave it to me in the event you do not survive the week? In front of these witnesses?" Rourke's (cheery) deliver suggests this kind of joke is commonly made in his line of work.

Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:06 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank ye kindly," says Bonnie, "but in the event of my untimely demise, Matt will be left to my family."

Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:37 am
by Philulhu
A few more locals emerged to see what was going on. ”A wimmin driver?! Whitever next?!” commented one bewhiskered old man, leaning on the bottom half of his stable door, looking out into the street.

Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:21 am
by Snapper

Rourke sighs. "Oh well, it was worth asking, eh?"

"Right, lady and gentlemen, the first priority of any hunting expedition is to set up camp."
He indicates the hotel. "Once that's done, we might think about some scouting missions."

Gathering his trunk, Rourke gives the locals a cheery wave. His clipped colonial African accent sounding very obvious, he calls out, "Good day to you all, you have a most beautiful village, eh?"

Rourke will head into the hotel as quickly as possible.

Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:25 am
by BoyBlunder78
Dr Douglas grabs his bags and follows Rourke.

Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:07 am
by Philulhu
”Whit sorta accent was that? At least he’s nae a sassenach…” Ascot heard the old man grumble as he lead the way to the Strathmorn Hotel.

The hotel turned out to be more of a coaching inn but at least it had a separate entrance so they didn’t have to tramp through the bar. A woman in her 40s, dark hair shot through with streaks of grey, greeted them as they entered. ”Welcome to the Strathmorn Hotel,” she said. “Four of ye’s, is there? Would ye be the guests the telegrams were aboot?”

Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:53 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, that's us," says Bonnie, who needs help with her luggage due to her lack of strength. "I'm Miss Bonnie MacKenzie."

Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:52 pm
by BoyBlunder78
"I'm Dr Ruairi Douglas" He offers to take one of Bonnies cases, motioning towards the young man with the Father " would you be good enough to help Miss MacKenzie with the rest of her luggage laddie?"

Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:28 pm
by Philulhu
Somewhat over-eager to help, Hamish tried to pick up all the cases and promptly got stuck in the doorway. The proprietor looked on, lips pursed, shaking her head sadly.

Looking back to Bonnie, she looked at the four men then back to her again. ”Is it Miss Mackenzie? Aye, well ye’ll be in the double room. Ye gentlemen will be in the two twin rooms. I’ll leave ye tae sort out the details.” She smiled. “I’m Mrs MacPherson, by the way. If there’s anything ye need while ye’re here, just ask.”

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:19 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank ye kindly, Mrs. MacPherson," says Bonnie, smiling back. "I'm sure ye know all about the goings on in Strathmorn, and the people here."

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:02 am
by Snapper

Rourke looks at Douglas. "Looks like we're sharing, Doc. We'll let the, ah, priest and his assistant share a room, eh?"

Hefting his rifle case and trunk, Rourke heads off to their room.

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:44 am
by BoyBlunder78
"Jolly good!" replys Dr Douglas gets the key(s?) From Mrs MacPherson and follows Ascot.

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:10 pm
by Philulhu
Key, singular. One for each room.

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:37 pm
by Joajackson
Father Ó Shaban wasnt going to dispute him and the scottish laddie being in the same. That was easier after all. So he took the relevant key and continued on.

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:39 pm
by Philulhu
The rooms were all small but perfectly functional, grouped around a communal toilet and bathroom. It didn’t take long for everyone to unpack and they were downstairs again twenty minutes later.

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:34 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We should start by asking Mrs. MacPherson about the village and the people in it, and about the murder," says Bonnie. "I imagine it's the most excitement they've had in their lives."

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:39 am
by Snapper

"Capital suggestion, Miss Mackenzie. If you don't mind though, I might take the chance to walk about the village and stretch my legs while you're talking to the lady of the hotel. I'm hopeless at small talk anyway. I'll just walk about the village, no where near that old place where it all happened. We only go there as a team, eh?"

"Oh, could you see if she could do some dinners for us?"

Ascot pulls on his fedora and old grey trench coat, and is ready for the elements.

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:00 am
by BoyBlunder78
" Good idea, perhaps she will be bursting at the gunnels to tell all the scandalous gossip, especially to the fresh ears of newcomers. I think i may enquire if there is a local libray of sorts. Be could to swot up on any local legends before we go and meet the good Reverand. "

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:48 am
by Philulhu
Mrs MacPherson was in the dining room, setting out places for the evening meal when the investigators found here. ”Is it all tae yer satisfaction?” she asked, adjusting the cutlery so it lay straight. “And what brings ye to Strathmorn, if ye don’t mind me asking? We’re not normally full at this time of the year.”

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:36 pm
by Joajackson
Father Ó Shaban, with the scottish laddie, finally ended putting everything into place and leave their room.
With his arabic appearence and accent he was truly unusual in this lands.

"Hello, gud misses. Fazer Ó Shaban, from far away, ze land of USA. A bleasure. It's all marrvelous. Just one zink. I unforrtunately don't eat anyzing of animals, yes?"

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:03 pm
by Philulhu
”Ye dinnae eat meat?” said Mrs MacPherson, looking puzzled. “Ye’ll just be eating vegetables, then? I guess we can manage that.”

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:33 pm
by Snapper

Ascot ambles out of the hotel, pleased to be out in the elements. He starts walking around the village, keen to stretch his legs. He is careful to stay far from the murder scene. He politely greets any locals he comes across.

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:27 am
by Mr. Handy

"My companions and I are conducting an independent investigation of the murder," says Bonnie quietly.

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:40 pm
by Philulhu
Mrs MacPherson’s lips pursed disapprovingly. ”Whit are ye, more reporters? We’ve had plenty of those in the last week.” she said.

Outside, Ascot found the street (there really was only one through the village) quiet. The people who had been looking out as the car had arrived had gone back inside, save for a couple of young lads who were admiring the car.

Looking up and down the street, Ascot could see no more than a dozen homes, the local Kirk and the manor house up on the hill.

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:48 pm
by BoyBlunder78
" No madam we arent reporters, we are just here to investigate and to hopefully makesure the right person is dound guilty. We have heard that some things seem a wee bit odd about it all."

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:28 pm
by Philulhu
Mrs MacPherson didn’t appear mollified in any way. ”The pollis will get to the bottom of things. I’m not sure why we need anyone else.”

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:50 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, we were recruited by a gentleman named Harry Price to conduct this investigation," says Bonnie. "He paid for our travel, but we're volunteers. He's hoping we can disprove the speculation that the murder was committed by a ghost, but we're independent of him. It's our job to get to the truth, whatever that may be."

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:19 pm
by Snapper

Happy to keep outdoors, Ascot heads to the Kirk. He decides to have a (respectful) look through its cemetery, mostly to get an idea of names and common causes of death.

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:04 am
by Philulhu
Please go to this thread: The Kirk

”How would a ghost kill a man?” Mrs MacPherson said with a shake of her head. ”Sad tae say, but the only person who could hae killed Donald McColl was young Jamie McLeod. Everyone else was here for ma party - there was only Jamie ootside. Such a shame - he wasnae a bad lad, nice and polite but he wasnae the most reliable. He was away with the fairies most of the time, when he wasnae poking around where he didnae belong.”

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:08 am
by BoyBlunder78
"We heard the poor McColl boy had been torn to shreds. Hard to believe that wee slip of a boy could have done that."

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:17 am
by Mr. Handy

"I dinna think it was a ghost myself," says Bonnie. "I'm sure you know the townsfolk better than we do, and you organised the party. Did you personally see that everyone was here, or were you relying on the guests to vouch for each other? All it would take is two of them to leave together and each to claim the other was here the whole time."

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:35 pm
by Philulhu
Mrs MacPherson bristled at Bonnie’s suggestion.

”I ken my own hoose,” she said tartly. ”Nae one left before Donald, ye can sure of that and I’ll thank ye not to say otherwise!”

With an aggrieved ‘Hmmph!’ she slammed cutlery down on the table and stormed out of the room.

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:43 pm
by Joajackson
Philulhu wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:35 pm Mrs MacPherson bristled at Bonnie’s suggestion.

”I ken my own hoose,” she said tartly. ”Nae one left before Donald, ye can sure of that and I’ll thank ye not to say otherwise!”

With an aggrieved ‘Hmmph!’ she slammed cutlery down on the table and stormed out of the room.
Can I roll any social skill to determine if she is hiding something or if she is only offended for the implication of being plausibly wrong?

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:39 pm
by Philulhu
Try a Psychology roll.

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:12 am
by Joajackson
Philulhu wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:39 pm
Try a Psychology roll.
Remember that I cannot roll myself in this page

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:37 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, that went well," says Bonnie. "Still, it leaves the door open that someone left after Donald and caught him up."

Psychology roll (10% base skill) about Mrs. MacPherson:
d%

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:39 am
by Philulhu
Oops, I’d forgotten you couldn’t see the dice roller. Anyhoo, Psychology (42%) - 1d100

Nope, Father Ó Shaban has no clue whether Mrs M is telling the truth or not.

Somewhere in the inn another door slammed. It seemed that Mrs MacPherson was quite agrieved.

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:49 am
by BoyBlunder78
Joajackson wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:12 am
Philulhu wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:39 pm
Try a Psychology roll.
Remember that I cannot roll myself in this page
Could I try the psychology roll?

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:51 am
by BoyBlunder78
OOC:   psychology %30
1d100  

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:15 am
by Philulhu
Dr. Douglas was no better able to determine whether their host was telling the truth than any of his comrades…

Having antagonised your landlady, where next? Throw stones at the local children? Punch a farmer? ;) :lol:

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:40 am
by BoyBlunder78
"There's one proud woman." whispers Dr Douglas. I think we should maybe find the Reverand and hope he'si in a mote affable mood."
OOC:   Is there local library here?  

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:59 pm
by Philulhu
No library that you’ve seen but the village is only small so that’s not really surprising.

The only ‘municipal’ buildings (for want of a better word) are the hotel and the kirk.

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:05 pm
by Joajackson
Father Ó Shaban stopped to think for a while before saying anything, the reaction of the townswoman clearly curious.

"Yes. I believe we shall meet ze man of ze cloz, inshallah."

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:54 am
by Mr. Handy

"Then let's go see him," says Bonnie. "I'll have to apologise to her later."

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:35 am
by Philulhu
Heading outside, they could see Ascot approaching from the direction of the kirk. Most of the villagers who had watched their arrival had gone back inside, except for a couple of young boys who were admiring Bonnie’s car and an old fellow tending his garden a few properties away.

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:43 am
by Snapper

Ascot gives the others a nod as he wanders back, looking more relaxed out of doors. "I don't think anyone's in the kirk right now but the manse is next door to it. Good chance we'll find the reverend there, eh?"

"Father, are your ready to chat theology? And how did all go with the lady of the hotel?"

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:20 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Not well," says Bonnie. "She got offended when I suggested the possibility that a couple of her guests could have left without her noticing and vouched for each other. She insists that nobody left before Donald." She approaches the boys admiring her car. "Like what ye see, lads?" she asks with a smile.

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:28 pm
by Joajackson
Snapper wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:43 am Image

Ascot gives the others a nod as he wanders back, looking more relaxed out of doors. "I don't think anyone's in the kirk right now but the manse is next door to it. Good chance we'll find the reverend there, eh?"

"Father, are your ready to chat theology? And how did all go with the lady of the hotel?"
"Ze zeology study will be available, but we arre here forr ze action of investigation."

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:04 am
by Snapper

Ascot pauses briefly, mouth open, looking at the priest. "Alright then, let's go find the local Presbyterian and see what he makes of you."

"And the murder, for that matter."

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:16 am
by Philulhu
Ascot/Father Ó Shaban (and anyone else going to see Reverend McCallan) - please go to this thread: The Kirk

“This yer car, Miss?” the older lad asked Bonnie, as the younger one just gawked. “She’s a wee beauty!”

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:35 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Oh, aye," says Bonnie. "And he's a he. His name's Matt, and I'm sure he'll be quite pleased you said so." With that, she follow the others to the manse.

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:57 pm
by Philulhu
I assume everyone has gone to the kirk but if not, just shout up.

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:41 pm
by Philulhu
Strathmorn Hotel, Main Road, Strathmorn, Inverness-shire
Thursday 19 March 1931. 6.00pm

Returning to the Hotel, Mrs MacPherson primly advised the investigators that dinner would be served when she opened again at 6 ‘o’ clock, giving them an hour or so to freshen up.

Heading downstairs, they were seated around a small table in a corner that appeared to be set up as what might rather grandly be referred to as a restaurant. There were only two tables so it apparently didn’t see a lot of use…

Dinner was plenty of beef with potatoes and turnip (sans beef for Father Ó Shaban) with ginger beer (or a pint of light ale for the gentlemen). The food was well-cooked and quickly consumed by all.

As they ate, a few locals came in, congregating around the bar and chatting with Mrs MacPherson.

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:20 pm
by BoyBlunder78
OOC:   can i try a listen roll to see if i can hear what they are talking about?  

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:53 pm
by Philulhu
By all means.

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:19 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Listen:24 :lol:
1d100
Nearly a hard....sooo close

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:53 pm
by Philulhu
If Dr Douglas hadn’t been born in a village, he’d have been faintly horrified to hear the fairly graphic descriptions of udder edema, mastitis and other ailments and injuries that passed for casual chat among the farming folk. As it was, it merely reminded him of listening to the farmhands who had worked the farms near his childhood home, who always seemed have have ever more gruesome stories to upset the younger Ruairi.

His attention was drawn however, to a large, rawboned man sat at the end of the bar. He’d been in as soon as the doors had opened and he was onto his third pint already. A newcomer to the bar addressed him as ‘Willie’ and asked how he was getting on. ”Aye, ye ken. It’s just no the same since Donald wus killed,” was the man’s reply.

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:41 pm
by Snapper

Happy with his dinner (and easily pleased), Ascot attempts to be politely sociable with the locals.

OOC:   Is there a dart board against a wall somewhere in the pub? Is there is, Ascot will politely ask if any local will play him.  

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:08 am
by Philulhu
”Aye, I’ll gi’ ye a game,” said one of the locals, an older man with greying, monkish hair that joined the beard that wreathed his chin.

Let’s have a DEX check and see how well you do…

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:32 am
by Snapper
OOC:   I was hoping to use Ascot's Throw skill instead...?  

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:39 am
by Philulhu
Sure, no problem.

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:10 am
by Snapper

"If I lose, I'll buy you a drink. Not that I believe in gambling, of course." With that, Ascot takes the darts and gives it his all...

1d%H40%
OOC:   So near, but not quite.  

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:27 am
by Mr. Handy

Bonnie can't quite make out the words.

You do have the option of spending 2 Luck, if you think it's worth it.

Listen roll (40% skill) to overhear the conversation:
d%

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:05 pm
by Joajackson
Father Ó Shaban satisfied with eating and not one to overhear conversations inapropiately, talked to the scottish laddie that he had paid to accompany him.

"Well, good combanion. What do you zink of all of zis? Ghosts, demons, a tigerr, ze man in jail orr african witchcraft? A lot of bosibilities, yes?"

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:14 pm
by Philulhu
Throw (60%) 1d100

Ascot was pleased to see that two of his darts hit the dartboard but the last one hit the guard, bounced off and landed on the floor near his foot. The locals tried not to laugh too much as his score of 17 was called before his opponent took his turn. He threw three darts for 170 - two treble 20s and a bulleye - and turned and winked at Ascot, who very much got the impression that he’d forgone the last treble 20, just to show off…

Hamish ruminated on Father Ó Shaban’s question for a long moment. ”I dinnae ken about ghosts but I saw a tiger in a zoo once,” he said soberly. ”My ma said they’re wild animals and she showed me where they live on a map. It wasnae anywhere near here, so I think we’re safe.”

The man at the bar to whom Dr Douglas and Bonnie were trying to listen, finished his third pint and ordered a fourth.

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:22 pm
by Joajackson
Philulhu wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:14 pm
Throw (60%) 1d100

Ascot was pleased to see that two of his darts hit the dartboard but the last one hit the guard, bounced off and landed on the floor near his foot. The locals tried not to laugh too much as his score of 17 was called before his opponent took his turn. He threw three darts for 170 - two treble 20s and a bulleye - and turned and winked at Ascot, who very much got the impression that he’d forgone the last treble 20, just to show off…

Hamish ruminated on Father Ó Shaban’s question for a long moment. ”I dinnae ken about ghosts but I saw a tiger in a zoo once,” he said soberly. ”My ma said they’re wild animals and she showed me where they live on a map. It wasnae anywhere near here, so I think we’re safe.”

The man at the bar to whom Dr Douglas and Bonnie were trying to listen, finished his third pint and ordered a fourth.
"Well... I don't know what I expected. Tomorrow we shall continue ze investigation. Hamish boy, be carreful, strange zings could happen at night."

And with that the, presuming there where not any extra stuff that it was available, the father departed to his room.

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:59 pm
by Snapper

Ascot gives an amazed laugh at his opponent's championship level effort. "Sir, I could not hope to beat such marksmanship. I shall know better than to challenge a Scotsman to darts in the future. Now, may I buy you a drink?"

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:28 am
by Philulhu
The older man laughed and said, ”I’ll take a whiskey, cheers.” He continued to throw his darts while Ascot fetched his drink from the bar.

”Thank ye kindly,” he said when Ascot returned. He raised the whiskey in salute and said, Alec Graham, Inverness-shire amateur darts champion from 1899 to 1904…”

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:16 am
by Snapper

"Ha!" Ascot barks a laugh. "I have been bested by a worthy opponent then."

"Hugo Ascot, British Rhodesian big game hunter, pleased to make your acquaintance."
He raises his own glass in toast.

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:42 am
by Mr. Handy

Bonnie applauds the excellent skill of Alec Graham, but she knows better than to open her mouth.

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:00 am
by Philulhu
”Big game, eh? His lordship’s got a few stags on his grounds but ye’ll no find much else up here,” Graham replied with a grin. He looked at Ascot then Dr Douglas, Bonnie and Hamish.

”Here on yer holidays, are ye?” he asked, with a shrewd look in his eye.

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:17 pm
by Snapper

Philulhu wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:00 am ”Here on yer holidays, are ye?” he asked, with a shrewd look in his eye.

Ascot shakes his head and takes a deep breath.

"We're not on holiday but nor are we working. In truth, we're volunteers. We're doing research for a society down south." Ascot pokes his thumb in the approximate direction of London.

"This is a society of sceptics and it wants us to disprove the rumours that the terrible murder here was caused by ghosts or devils or the like. But in a dignified manner for this village that has suffered. Nothing for the papers, I assure you."

Ascot ticks off what he knows on meaty fingers. "Everyone seems to agree that no one here abouts has brought home some wild predator pet from Africa or the likes, so that's ruled out."

"My colleagues have spoken to the lad accused of the crime and have doubts he had the strength to do such harm."

"And finally, we hear that the poor boy who was killed may have been poaching at the time. For which he paid a terrible price."

"So I don't know that we have any proof of anything yet. Where I come from, for the tribes, magic, ghosts, devils and monsters are still very real, so nothing is ruled out."

Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:04 am
by Philulhu
”Oh, aye?” Graham studied Ascot for a long moment then picked up his darts again. He took his place at the oche and started to throw, speaking quietly out of the side of his mouth. ”It’s a bad business and naebody seems to know what’s going on. I didnae see Donald’s body but I heard he was in a bad way. And aye, he was one of Jock Thomson’s bairns… ye ken? He had a knack for happening upon a coney or a grouse, or even a nice bit of venison when he was taking the night air with Willie over there…” Gordon glanced at the bar, then back at Ascot to see if his meaning was understood.

Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:51 am
by Mr. Handy

Bonnie looks at the man at the bar, presumably Willie, to see how he reacts.

Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:13 am
by Philulhu
Willie - Listen 1d100

”Were ye talkin’ aboot me, Alec?!” The big man at the bar put his drink down noisily and walked over. He was about 5’10’’, scrawny and muscular with the tanned skin of someone who worked outdoors for a living. He’d clearly come straight from the fields and smelled of beer and hard work, but no soap.

”I was just saying how ye’d lost yer pal,” said Graham in the slightly loud tone that someone used when they’d been caught out but wanted to change the narrative. ”Oh, aye?!” came the reply ”An’ what business is it of yours?! Or yours, for that matter?!” And he turned and stared aggressively at the investigators.

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:52 am
by Snapper

Ascot holds his open hands up in a placating gesture but does not back away. He looks unconcerned by the outburst and seems fairly used to this sort if behaviour.

"My friends and I are not here to gossip. We know this village has suffered and is in mourning. And we are guests here."

"If you have the time, I would like to speak to you privately for a moment, but only if you agree."

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"It wasna my fault this time," says Bonnie. "I didna say a word."

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:21 am
by Philulhu
I think a Persuade roll or similar would be the order of the day.

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:02 am
by Snapper

1d%pd40%

OOC:   Fail.  

Ascot tries to sound reasonable but culture and accent barriers are not working in his favour.

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:48 am
by Philulhu
Would you like to try to push the roll? The consequences would in all likelihood be him getting quite feisty if you failed.

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:33 am
by Snapper
Philulhu wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:48 am
Would you like to try to push the roll? The consequences would in all likelihood be him getting quite feisty if you failed.
Spoiler:
Hell yeah, why not? Stand by...

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:43 am
by Snapper

Ascot takes another deep breath, looking inward for a second as he marshals his thoughts. Then he looks back at Willie.

"Lad, you don't know me or my colleagues but we just want to ensure whoever committed that vile murder is brought to justice. Or if it was a wild beast, that it is stopped from doing this again."

"If the police have the right man, so be it. But perhaps they haven't. Perhaps that lad locked away did not have the strength for it."

"One way or another, no one should be afraid to ask questions. Not gossip, not make the hurt worse, not run to the newspapers. So that's what I'm doing. I don't care about other laws broken and I don't report to the local police."

"If you want justice for your friend, you have no reason not to talk to us."

Pushed roll:

1d%pd40%

OOC:   Regular success.  

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:49 am
by Philulhu
The man’s muscle’s tensed but to Ascot’s relief he didn’t get punched in the face. Instead he just leant in close and snarled ”That wee runt McLeod did it. They’ll hae him on the rope afore the year’s out!”

He looked like he might have said more but a sharp, “That’s enough, Willie Stewart!” from Mrs MacPherson behind the bar made him turn around and storm outside. She watched him leave then came over to the table. “Ye’re causing more trouble than ye’re worth,” she said tartly. “I’ll ask ye not tae be upsetting any more of my regulars tonight!” She nodded angrily and returned to the bar to serve a couple more people who had entered.

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:57 am
by Snapper

Ascot sighs in disappointment. "I don't know if we're achieving anything at all here, other than making a nuisance of ourselves."

He tries to rally his thoughts and looks at his colleagues. "What do you all think, is Willie telling the truth? Was he hiding anything?"

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:58 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Dr Douglas sits back cradling his whiskey. " I think your right Ascot, he was going to say something else. Althrough our enquiries so far there seems to be an underlying current that we just cant get lay a finger on. Everyone says that Donald was a fine lad, poacher by all means byt well liked. Yet the Sarjeant painted a different picture, that of a ner'do well, a bully. No one has mentioned anything about his wifes alleged lover, onmy what you yourself overheard. I fear that the poor Mcleod boy may just just be a scapegoat, an easy answer to please the village."

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:42 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I dinna ken if he's telling the truth," says Bonnie. "Should I apologise to Mrs. MacPherson, or will that just make things worse?"

Psychology roll (10% base skill) about Willie:
d%

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:14 pm
by Philulhu
Bonnie has no reason to doubt what Willie is saying.

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:11 pm
by BoyBlunder78
BoyBlunder78 wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:58 pm Dr Douglas sits back cradling his whiskey. " I think your right Ascot, he was going to say something else. Althrough our enquiries so far there seems to be an underlying current that we just cant get lay a finger on. Everyone says that Donald was a fine lad, poacher by all means byt well liked. Yet the Sarjeant painted a different picture, that of a ner'do well, a bully. No one has mentioned anything about his wifes alleged lover, onmy what you yourself overheard. I fear that the poor Mcleod boy may just just be a scapegoat, an easy answer to please the village."
after all that might be a bit late but..
Pyscholgy 30.
1d100
]
OOC:   I stand by it all lol  

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:49 am
by Snapper

Ascot sips on a whisky. "Well, back to our original plan then. Early start tomorrow and back to Inverness for a few hours."

"Really, if you think about it, right now we are fulfilling that Price fellow's instructions, in a sense. We have precisely no evidence of anything that would persuade a court not to hang that boy locked away in Inverness. Certainly no murderous ghosts or other supernatural activity."

"Perhaps I might run into Willie again during daylight, when he's a bit more sober and a bit less angry? Maybe he'll have more to say? I assume he was borrowing a few animals for his supper, along with the dead boy, before whatever happened happened. We'll keep open minds."

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye," says Bonnie. "Some men get more talkative when they've had a few, but some just get belligerent."

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:37 am
by Snapper
OOC:   Happy to jump to the next morning is everyone's done? Unless there's anything anyone wants to add?  

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:24 am
by Philulhu
Anyone else at the bar you’d like to talk to?

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:43 am
by BoyBlunder78
Philulhu wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:24 am
Anyone else at the bar you’d like to talk to.
I'm good to go.

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:20 pm
by Mr. Handy

I think I'm done.

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:34 pm
by Philulhu
Dr Douglas (24) 1d100
Father Ó Shaban (50) 1d100
Bonnie (40) 1d100
Ascot (30) 1d100

Friday 20 March 1931. 8.30am

After about 9.00pm most of the regulars had headed home and with no one wanting another drink, the bar had closed early. A tight-lipped Mrs MacPherson served breakfast the next morning and the investigators compared notes on their night’s sleep the previous evening.

It seemed Father Ó Shaban had slept through undisturbed, as had Hamish, but everyone else had been disturbed in the early hours by a scream - a singular one that sounded almost human, but not quite…

I’ll take a natural world roll from anyone who heard the scream.

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:18 am
by Mr. Handy

"Did ye hear that scream last night?" asks Bonnie. "Woke me right up. I dinna ken what sort of beastie made it."

Natural World roll (10% base skill) about the scream:
d%

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:10 am
by Snapper

1d%LLd25%

"No idea but I didn't like it one little bit."

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:08 am
by BoyBlunder78
Natural world: 30
1d100
OOC:   Hard Success  

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:59 am
by Philulhu
Dr Douglas recognised it as a scream from a sheep, one that sounded in extreme duress.

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:31 am
by Snapper
OOC:   I shall wait to hear if the good doctor fills us in on what the scream was.  

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:32 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Addressing the group Dr Douglas " The scream was that of a sheep. It took me back to days growing up in the Borders where ya soon ken the sounds of the farms. They only scream like that mind when they are worried, either by man or beast. I think Ascot if one of our possible leads is a strange animal to this land, then possibly we may listen out for news of any livestock attacks."

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:03 pm
by Joajackson
BoyBlunder78 wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:32 pm Addressing the group Dr Douglas " The scream was that of a sheep. It took me back to days growing up in the Borders where ya soon ken the sounds of the farms. They only scream like that mind when they are worried, either by man or beast. I think Ascot if one of our possible leads is a strange animal to this land, then possibly we may listen out for news of any livestock attacks."
"I see... Yes, I see. We shall investigate ze sheeb. Forr I believe ze answer to much is behind it. If ze sheeb was killed by ze demon beast, ze powers of ze evil shall be clear."

Father Ó Shaban was being very dramatic in his words and mannerism, and seemed to find it all very fun.

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:01 pm
by Philulhu
As they finished breakfast, they could see two men striding past the window, one slightly behind the other, to whom he appeared to be gesticulating. The second man, who they recognised as one of the latecomers to the pub the night before, seemed to be imposing the first man to stop.

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:51 pm
by Snapper

Ascot made a face. "Unlucky sheep. I enjoy a good lamb cutlet, of course, but I don't want even those dumb beasts to suffer."

"The murderer may yet still be someone's badly chosen pet from abroad. Firearms might be appropriate if we decide to go out and about after dark."

"And what do you suppose is going on out there?"
he indicates the two locals.

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:33 am
by BoyBlunder78
Can i try a liaten check, or anything like lip reading to try and make out what they are saying?[/Spoiler-Button

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:26 am
by Philulhu
Of course.

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:43 am
by Mr. Handy

Bonnie is still no good at eavesdropping.

Listen roll (40% skill) to hear the conversation:
d%

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:35 am
by Snapper

1d%L30%

OOC:   Hard success.  

Once again, the years of practice listening for hungry animals in the African bush has helped sharpen Ascot's hearing for this day.

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:30 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Listen:24
1d100

Dr Douglas has been inexplicably struck deaf......

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:40 pm
by Philulhu
Ascot alone could hear the two men. The man in front, dressed all in tweed with a flat cap was grumbling about his sheep and the man trailing in his wake spoke with an English accent. ”For God’s sake, Fergus! I’m a doctor, not a bloody veterinarian!”

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:20 pm
by Snapper

Ascot stands immediately. "A local land owner the screaming sheep belonged to, and the local doctor being called to stand in as a vet. I think we should speak to these two."

Ascot glances at Shaban as he rises, grabbing coat and fedora. "Father Shaban, however funny you think sheep dying in pain may be, I don't think loss of valuable livestock will be any laughing matter to these people. Please try to reign in the, ah, comments."

Ascot heads out the door to catch up with the two gentlemen outside.

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:12 am
by Philulhu
Ascot managed to catch up with the two men as they stood in a field on the other side of the wall off a stone track. ”Ye can see here, Doctor. One of my sheep has gone missing and this is what I find…” said the first man, waving his hand around a hollow in the grass that had a distinct reddish tinge…

Everyone else is welcome to go, too.

If you’ve successfully passed a skill check, don’t forget to make a note somewhere. This is a one-shot but that’s how Servants of the Lake started and four years later… 😏

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:59 am
by Joajackson
Snapper wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:20 pm Image

Ascot stands immediately. "A local land owner the screaming sheep belonged to, and the local doctor being called to stand in as a vet. I think we should speak to these two."

Ascot glances at Shaban as he rises, grabbing coat and fedora. "Father Shaban, however funny you think sheep dying in pain may be, I don't think loss of valuable livestock will be any laughing matter to these people. Please try to reign in the, ah, comments."

Ascot heads out the door to catch up with the two gentlemen outside.
Philulhu wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:12 am Ascot managed to catch up with the two men as they stood in a field on the other side of the wall off a stone track. ”Ye can see here, Doctor. One of my sheep has gone missing and this is what I find…” said the first man, waving his hand around a hollow in the grass that had a distinct reddish tinge…

Everyone else is welcome to go, too.

If you’ve successfully passed a skill check, don’t forget to make a note somewhere. This is a one-shot but that’s how Servants of the Lake started and four years later… 😏
The Father Ó Shaban decided to take the words of the african hunter friendly, and simply stay relaxed at the such. For his interest in the mistery was one that didnt consider such things as reasonable safety that important.

In any case, he would advance to follow sir Ascot and see the scene of the men looking at the bloddied hole. With care to not interfere until one his more british companions talked to anyone, he tried to carefully observe arround the field for strange signs, as would be other blood dispersed arround, any piece of strange hair or something else relevant.

Trying to do a spot hidden roll if possible. I cannot roll the dices myself.

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:26 am
by Mr. Handy

Bonnie follows Ascot outside and sees the red in the grass. "The poor wee sheep," says Bonnie. "What sort of beastie could have done this?"

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:47 am
by Snapper

Ascot politely clears his throat, and raises his fedora in greeting. "Excuse me gentlemen, I wonder if we might have a quick word? In relation to your sheep that's been attacked. Or whatever has happened to it..."

Spoiler:
Can Ascot make a Track roll before the scene gets messed up with footprints?

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:25 am
by Philulhu
Father Ó Shaban - spot hidden (25%) 1d100

Try as he might, Father Ó Shaban wasn’t able to determine anything from the site as they approached the two men, who looked up as Ascot spoke.

The man who had been addressed as ‘Doctor*’ spoke up. ”Good morning. The farmer has lost one of his sheep and believes something untoward may have occurred. He posits that something has happened to it here…” He knelt down on his haunches and touched the crimson-coated grass, then brought his hand up to his face. ”That said, this is definitely blood. It could have been fox or even a badger, Fergus!” He looked up at the farmer as he spoke, who snorted his disbelief.

*Not that Doctor. I’ll leave the Timelords to Mr Handy ;)

Ascot is welcome to try to determine if there are any tracks and where they might lead.

Anyone can try a Natural World roll for further information.

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:25 pm
by Snapper

1d%50%

1d%LLd25%

OOC:   Success.  

Ascot pulls his trousers up and squats down on his haunches, careful to keep his overcoat off the ground and out of the blood. He peers at the bloody mess in some confusion.

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:53 pm
by Philulhu
Ascot pulled his trousers up? Had he been waddling about with his trousers around his ankles? Hardly the done thing in polite society! ;)

The thing that struck Ascot about the site was that, if a sheep had been killed here, a predator the size of a fox or badger would have been unlikely to be able to remove the corpse without leaving an obvious trail.

Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:58 am
by Snapper
Spoiler:
It's that thing where you pull up the legs of your less flexible, 1930s era suit trousers so that when you squat down, you don't rip anything. I'm sure there's a more elegant phrase but nice-word-speaking has deserted me.

Ascot frowns at the mess as he stands up. "An African tiger might be able to pick up a sheep and bound off with it leaving little trace, but what fox or badger could drag a dead sheep away at all, let alone without leaving a trail a blind man could follow?"

He looks over at his colleagues. "Any other thoughts, colleagues?" Ascot then does a slow 360, looking for any other oddness.

The Track was an irritating fail but can Ascot make a Spot Hidden as well?

Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:41 am
by Mr. Handy

"Looks like there may be some hunting in the area after all," says Bonnie, "if we could follow the trail of blood back to its lair."

Track roll (10% base skill) to find tracks:
d%
Natural World (10% base skill) about the dead sheep:
d%

Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:56 am
by BoyBlunder78
OOC:   dont know what happened there but ny dice roller went crazy. Eother way both fails  
1d100pL-13LLd30LL=22161d100
1d100

[/Spoiler-Button]

Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:29 am
by Philulhu
I think the phrase you’re looking for is to hitch up your trousers. Ascot can make a Spot Hidden attempt but all that will tell him is the general direction of travel, not allow him to track any potential assailant to its lair.

”An African tiger?” spluttered the farmer derisively. ”Ye’ll not find the likes of that aroond here!”

He shook his head. ”Say what ye like aboot wee McLeod, but at least he looked after my bloody sheep!”

Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:38 am
by BoyBlunder78
Dr Douglas turns to the men, "Has there been any other instances of livestock being attacked or going missing at any of the other farms?"

Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:20 pm
by Snapper
Spoiler:
Hitch! Much better word. I think COVID has cost me INT points after all.

Leaving the others to chat with the farmer and doctor, Ascot commences a slow, methodical spiral out from the scene of the sheep murder. Frequently, he stops, bends forward and checks for clues, paw / hoof prints or dung. He often talks to himself quietly, mostly admonishing his tracking failure and demanding better off himself. He is completely focused and not listening to anyone else...

Pushing the Track roll:

1d%50%

OOC:   Regular success.  

Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:08 pm
by Philulhu
A stream bordered the field and Ascot was only able to follow the trail as far as that, but judging by the direction of the trail, it seemed to be heading in the direction of MacMorn Manor, that overlooked the village.

Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:15 am
by Snapper

Ascot points or what he can see to the others. Looking at the farmer, he asks, "Did Jamie McLeod work for you? The lad now locked up in Inverness for the murder?"

Spoiler:
Can Ascot see anything to give a clue what type of animal dragged the sheep away leaving so little trace? Paw prints, dung?

Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:42 am
by Philulhu
Ascot can’t tell much other than the direction of travel and that’s mostly determined by the odd drop of blood. The ground is hard and weIl-grazed so there isn’t much vegetation which may have given other clues.

The farmer glanced at Dr. Douglas. ”I lost two more the night Donald McColl was killed. Bodies nowhere to be seen. Just blood, like this…” he said.

”And aye, Jamie McLeod worked for me. Nae the brightest lad - spent a bit too much time daydreaming but he did a good job with my sheep. Can’t believe that he did for McColl, mind ye. He was too soft for that.”

Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:07 am
by Mr. Handy

"Perhaps whatever killed the sheep killed Donald McColl," says Bonnie. "We know it was aboot that night."

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:24 am
by Philulhu
”That seems unlikely, to be honest, Miss” interjected the Doctor. ”I saw Donald McColl’s body and it seems most likely that his injuries were caused by human hands. A more plausible explanation to my mind is that Jamie McLeod, being a bit feeble-minded, found the sheep being attacked by whatever predator did for them, lost his mind and attacked poor Donald on his way home. It’s an area I’ve studied extensively and it is sadly more common than you might think.”

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"But what sort of predator could have done it?" asks Bonnie.

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:55 am
by Joajackson
Snapper wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:15 am Image

Ascot points or what he can see to the others. Looking at the farmer, he asks, "Did Jamie McLeod work for you? The lad now locked up in Inverness for the murder?"

Spoiler:
Can Ascot see anything to give a clue what type of animal dragged the sheep away leaving so little trace? Paw prints, dung?
Father Ó Shaban had been following Sir Ascot with interest. For his ability with traking seemed to be quite miserable, and he was quite the relaxed elderly to let the more young do the work.

"Trruly misterrious, isn't it, Sir Ascot? Any idea of what ze killed could come frum?"

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:59 am
by Snapper

Ascot shakes his head. "The ground's too hard to leave impressions. But the sheep was not taken away by a fox or badger and Britain has no larger native predators."

"Well, shall we head back to Inverness for the morning as planned?"

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, if we cannae hunt the beastie," says Bonnie.

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:47 am
by Snapper

"I'd feel more comfortable if we had some idea what we might be hunting. We maybe will find that in Inverness. It's certainly worth a try."

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:31 am
by Philulhu
We’re returning to Inverness - Inverness.

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:49 am
by Philulhu
Friday 20 March 1931. 5.00pm

It had cooled down and there was a definite chill in the air by the time they arrived back at the Strathmorn Hotel. Mrs MacPherson had lit the fire in the small lounge, served tea and shortbread once she realised that no one except Ascot had eaten properly since breakfast, then left them to warm up.

What’s your plan?

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:05 am
by BoyBlunder78
Dr Douglas wouldike to purchase an oil lantern at some time. Probaly rest tonight, see id there is any gossip to be gleamed from the bar. Visit the Dr McBride in the morning and then start the hunt?

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:54 pm
by Joajackson
I think that doing as Boy said. And just making sure for if we do go to rest while I am not looking, the father would really reccomend some kind of guard or something. I mean, there could be a dangerous hunter predator arround.

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:03 pm
by Snapper

In between shoving shortbread into his mouth as quickly as good manners will allow and washing it down with sweet tea, Ascot scolds his companions on skipping lunch. "I've told you, take it from an expeditioner, never miss a meal you don't have to."

After a while, he warms up, fills up, and starts to focus. Ascot pulls out a rather rugged-looking pocket watch. "Only A bit after five o'clock. We could pay the good doctor a quick visit now. The sun won't be down a few hours yet. Quick stretch of the legs after the automobile trip. I doubt any address in this village takes more than five minutes to walk to."

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:53 pm
by BoyBlunder78
"Sounds good, less chance of being interrupted by patients also." Dr Douglas says through a fine spray of biscuit. " I agree with your opinion over meals but you must concede that in the thrill of the hunt or indeed the expectation of one that you may miss a morsel on occasion. "

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:56 am
by Snapper

"I admire your enthusiasm," Ascot says with a grin in reply to Dr Douglas. "But remember, for me, leading hunting expeditions is an art. And that art is about minimising risk and maximising comfort."

"Is everyone else coming?"
Ascot asks, reaching for his hat and coat.

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:46 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, ," says Bonnie, finishing up her meal. "Let's go see the doctor."

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:33 pm
by Philulhu
Golf Course Lane, Strathmorn, Inverness-shire
Friday 20 March 1931. 5.45pm

The air was decidedly cooler when they left the hotel, with the last of the day’s light diminishing rapidly. It was a short walk through the village to Dr McBride’s home which had two doors facing onto the street. One had ‘Surgery’ above it but the room beyond was in darkness. The second just had a nameplate - ‘McBride - and appeared to be the residential side of the property, with lights burning inside.

A knock at the door was answered after a moment by the man they had seen with the farmer earlier in day. Drying his hands on a towel, he said, ”Can I help you? Is it a medical emergency?”

Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:02 am
by Mr. Handy

"Dinna fash, Doctor, everyone's fine," says Bonnie. "We just wanted to ask you a few questions."

Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:20 am
by Philulhu
”Questions?” he asked with a frown. ”Questions about what?”

Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:19 pm
by BoyBlunder78
"The McMorn family."

Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:11 am
by Mr. Handy

Bonnie watches his reaction to the name.

Psychology roll (10% base skill) about Dr. McBride:
d%

Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:06 pm
by Philulhu
”They’ve been gone a long time. It’s been decades since a McMorn lived around here,” he replied with a frown.

Nope, nada, not a thing…

Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:56 pm
by Joajackson
Philulhu wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:06 pm ”They’ve been gone a long time. It’s been decades since a McMorn lived around here,” he replied with a frown.

Nope, nada, not a thing…
The Father Ó Shaban would also be observing his reaction closely.

I cannot roll dices in messages Keeper, but I would want to do a psychology roll

Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:17 pm
by Mr. Handy

"What do you know about the family's history?" asks Bonnie.

Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:57 pm
by Philulhu
Psychology (42%) 1d100

Something about Dr McBride’s reaction suggests that the name McMorn is more than familiar.

”Well, they were important people around here many years ago. The Manor House was their’s. Still bears their name, not that anyone has lived there in a long time,” he said.

Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:22 am
by Mr. Handy

"What else do ye ken about them?" Bonnie asks.

Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:19 am
by Philulhu
”Why are you asking me about the McMorn family?” Dr McBride asked bluntly.

Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:16 am
by Snapper

Ascot has been keeping a eye on the setting sun, mindful not to have his colleagues out after dark without any ballistic-based protection. He turns back to the doctor, his hands held up in a placating gesture.

"Doctor, I'm sure we're interrupting you just as you were thinking of your evening and supper. Forgive our bad timing. We will be at the hotel again tonight. We would be honoured if you would let us buy you a glass of good scotch after we have finished our own supper. And while you enjoy it, we could explain our interest. Can we tempt you?"

OOC:   Does the doctor definitely have an English accent?  

Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:50 am
by Philulhu
McBride shook his head. ”Please accept my apologies. I have had a trying day and I am forgetting my manners.” he said.

He pushed the door open. ”Won’t you come in? My supper can wait. It’s only cold meats and cheese. I’d ask you to dine with me but I haven’t enough in to feed everyone.”

Yes, very definitely an English accent, probably from the North West.

Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:59 pm
by Snapper

Ascot looks at the others in silent question.

Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:45 pm
by Joajackson
Snapper wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:59 pm Image

Ascot looks at the others in silent question.
And the Father Ó Shaban answered by making a negative declaration, as a sickly elderly man having a cough.

"Cough cough. Forrgiveness good Doctorr, but I think we shall refuse. Ze night in ze village seems dangerous zis days. Zere is ze dangerrous animals abound. Inshallah, but I zing we should leave beforre dark."

Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:52 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Let's nae be so hasty, Father," says Bonnie. "It would be rude to refuse our host's hospitality. It's quite all right that we won't be able to eat here. We can always sup back at the inn."

Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:04 pm
by BoyBlunder78
"I agree Bonnie ww can fill our bellies back at the inn later. I think we owe our gracious host an explanation on why we have called upon him at this hour. As Sir Ascot has eluded too, our interests may be connected regarding the McMorns, with both the present AND past situations."
Dr Douglas emphasises the 'AND past' to maybe tease a reaction from McBride.
OOC:   Psychology: 30
1d100  

Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:12 pm
by Philulhu
McBride shrugged. ”You came to see me but now you can’t seem to decide whether you actually want to talk to me or not,” he said. ”If you’re undecided then let me save you the worry of venturing out at night. I’ll come and see you at the pub after my supper. How does that sound?”

Ascot doesn’t get any reaction to his statement, as far as he can tell.

Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:48 am
by Snapper

"Thank you, doctor, that sounds an excellent plan. We'll look forward to sharing a drink later."

"It's been a long day, my friends. Shall we head back to the hotel and see what supper there is?"

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, thank ye, we'll see ye there, Doctor," says Bonnie.

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:52 am
by BoyBlunder78
"We look forward to seeing you then good Doctor."

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:27 am
by Philulhu
Friday 20 March 1931. 7.00pm

The party were just finishing their evening meal, plain fare but cooked well, as the Doctor entered the bar. Carrying a notebook under his arm, he ordered a pint at the bar, then carried it over to their table.

”Good evening,” he said. ”That’ll be Mrs MacPherson’s clootie dumplings you’re eating, if I’m any judge.”

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:27 am
by Snapper

Ascot nods happy agreement. "If I live long enough to retire, I may have to retire here to Scotland for the food and countryside alone."

"Now, do not forget we have promised you a good scotch for your time, Doctor."

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:12 am
by Philulhu
Dr McBride smiled. ”Don’t worry, I havent forgotten,” he replied. ”Now, how can I help you?”

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:46 am
by Mr. Handy

"We're particularly interested in finding out more about Alex McMorn," says Bonnie. "What do ye ken about him, Doctor?"

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:11 pm
by Philulhu
Alex McMorn? He was the son of Gordon McMorn, the owner of McMorn Manor,” he replied. He turned and pointed out of the window, although it was dark outside and nothing could be seen. ”That’s the big house on the hill,” he said helpfully.

”He disappeared about a century ago and the house has stood empty ever since.”

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:47 pm
by Snapper

"As I was explaining to some other members of the local community yesterday, doctor, we're volunteers sent here by a society down south."

"This society wants to debunk the rumours that the, ah, horrible incident was caused by ghosts or other supernatural causes. While the police are convinced the culprit has been caught, we have been considering other options."

"I'm in the big game hunting business in Africa. One theory I've considered is that some large predator from Africa or elsewhere was brought back here, as an exotic pet. Maybe a breeding pair. No offence, Miss."
Ascot looks slightly embarrassedly at Bonnie.

"Something killed that sheep and it wasn't a fox. What if there's a family of these predators that have been living in that manor or nearby all these years?"

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:53 pm
by Philulhu
”If it were some sort of exotic creature that Alex McMorn brought back from Africa, then it would have been sighted before now, surely,” replied Dr McBride. ”It would either be very old, or it must have hibernated for a very long time, neither of which seem even remotely plausible.”

Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:10 am
by Snapper

"Oh, I agree. I'm not suggesting the original pet is still alive.
I doubt many animals in Africa get to age twenty, except elephants and some of the giant apes."

"No, my theory is that a <ahem> breeding pair were brought here, and generations of these animals have been quietly living somewhere about the manor."

"The obvious flaw in this theory is that no one had noticed these animals. And I'm not sure why they have become so dangerous now, either. I doubt Sherlock Holmes would approve of my theory."

"But what are your thoughts, doctor?"

Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:52 am
by Mr. Handy

"Supposedly there's a beastie in Loch Ness that's been there for quite some time," says Bonnie. "It's been sighted many times, but nobody's ever actually found proof of it. If it's real, it's managed to stay mostly hidden for a long while, so maybe land animals could too. They may live underground, possibly on the grounds of the manor. If nobody goes there, that would explain why they've gone undisturbed all this time. If they've exhausted whatever food supply they've been living on, that could also explain why they've come out now to prey on the sheep."

Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:55 am
by BoyBlunder78
Regarding current events Dr McBride you will have seen the body of the unfortunate McMorn boy, from what information we have gleamed its more akin to an animal attack rather than human, would you say?"

Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:34 pm
by Philulhu
Dr McBride smiled. ”We seem to be drifting off to the realms of fantasy but let me give you my perspective. If a breeding pair were brought back then they could only breed with themselves, is that right? Assuming it’s a larger animal then it takes time to reach maturity and they have relatively small litters. Even so, over one hundred years? Who knows.” He shrugged. ”But even if it had bred with local animals, surely it would have been noticed by now. Animals giving birth to strange hybrids and the like is unlikely to go unnoticed. If it wasn’t reported to the authorities then surely it would have been reported to the church - such occurrences are often taken for signs of the devil among more superstitious folk, are they not?”

“And to breed from just one pair invites all sorts of other problems. You’ll see a higher incidence of birth defects and other problems. It’s quite common in small villages,”
he continued, glancing up at the bar. He seemed to be warming to the topic and he looked at Bonnie. ”I’d heard the same rumours about the Loch but it seems rather far-fetched, in my opinion. That said, assuming the food supply remains available, there would be no reason why such a creature might not survive. That does, however, highlight another deficiency in your theory about McMorn Manor. Wild animals don’t respect artificial boundaries - they go where the food goes. Is it really likely that they would have had such an abundant food supply for a century, so in all that time it never had the need to hunt beyond the boundaries of the estate?” He paused and took a drink from his pint. ”It seems most unlikely, doesn’t it?”

”As for Donald McColl - I assume that’s whom you’re talking about - he’d certainly taken quite a beating. I’m not sure I’d describe it as an animal attack - I could point you to any number of records which show that humans in the grip of mania are capable of quite brutal acts of violence. It is a common issue in the cities, I believe. Were I at home, I could show you any number of textbooks that support that point of view. It seems more than likely that young McLeod is the guilty party, in my view.”

Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:58 pm
by BoyBlunder78
"Fair points well made sir, we were led to believe the boy had been ripped to shreds. So what do you make of McMorn history, specifically the sons return from the dark continent and his new aquaintance?"

Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:46 am
by Philulhu
McBride paused for a moment and looked at the investigators thoughtfully.”Well, it wasn’t uncommon for the children of wealthy people to undertake a kind of ‘Grand Tour’, as it were, and return with all sorts of knickknacks and other ephemera along the way. As for an acquaintance, it seems rather odd that the son of a gentleman should take up with a sailor, but each to their own, I suppose!”

Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:04 am
by Snapper

Ascot politely absents himself to order the doctor's promised drink. He gets two glasses of whatever is the best scotch behind the bar, the second for himself, and returns. "Your good health."

Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:47 am
by Mr. Handy

"Do ye ken anything aboot the servant he brought back with him?" asks Bonnie.

Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:02 am
by Philulhu
”Do dheagh shlainte,” replied McBride to Ascot, which Bonnie and Dr Douglas recognised as the traditional response in Scots Gaelic, albeit delivered in an northern English accent.

”As for the native fellow that Alex McMorn brought back with him, I know very little. I started to do some research into the village history when I first arrived but the job keeps me busy and I’ve made little progress. I cover a number of the villages around here so I’m often out and about.”

Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:30 pm
by Snapper

Ascot nods at the doctor's notebook. "Is that what is in your notebook? Your researches?"

Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:56 pm
by Philulhu
”It is,” said McBride. ”I started looking into the history of the village when I first moved here, though I haven’t made a deal of progress. The pressures of the job, you understand. I cover Strathmorn and a number of the surrounding villages. Travelling around takes up a far amount of time.”

Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:24 am
by Snapper

Ascot's eyes light up. "Well, doctor, my reading skills have never much progressed from Enid Blyton, Conan Doyle, and more recently Scotland's own John Buchan. My colleagues, on the other hand, are quite learned.
I wonder if you would be willing to let one or two of them read your notes while you and I compare observations on this fine whisky?"

Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:32 am
by Mr. Handy

"How long have ye been here, Doctor?" asks Bonnie.

Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:34 am
by Philulhu
”Ah, they are just my rough notes,” replied McBride. ”I’m happy to talk about what I’ve found out but I would be embarrassed if anyone were to actually read them. Not that they’re exactly easy to read - you know what they say about a doctor’s handwriting.”

He smiled and looked at Bonnie. ”I’ve lived here for coming up two years, Miss,” he said.

Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:04 am
by Snapper

Ascot nods to Doctor McBride. "Fair enough. I wouldn't want to share my personal writing too much either. We would be very interested to hear what you have found out about the history of the village though. While I enjoy a fine scotch whisky."

Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:48 am
by Mr. Handy

"What sources have you used for your research?" asks Bonnie, smiling back.

Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:54 pm
by Joajackson
The Father Ó Shaban while keeping silent, for he believed his companions already were appropiately doing enough, decides to observe closely the doctor, be both his words and his clothes.

I want to roll psychology or Find Hidden, wathever be more relevant

Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:19 pm
by BoyBlunder78
"I would be fascinated to read your notes Dr, this town reminds me of my own home Langholm. I would be intrigued to see if there are any similarities between the two.,"
Persuade 32%

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:26 am
by Philulhu
Psychology (42%) 1d100

It seems perfectly reasonable that the absolutely charming Dr McBride should not wish to share his notes.

”Mainly from talking to the older people in the village,” replied McBride. ”There’s still a strong oral tradition of storytelling in this part of the world, so stories get passed down from generation to generation. I’d think that your Langholm is very similar,” he said to Dr Douglas.

He glanced over towards the bar and then leaned in conspiratorially. ”To be honest, apart from that business with Alex McMorn, not much has happened in Strathmorn. I think that’s why I’ve made so little progress. Life just seems to have passed the place by!”

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:03 am
by Mr. Handy

"What about the library in Inverness?" asks Bonnie.

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:46 am
by Philulhu
Psychology or Spot hidden, please.

”The library? Oh yes, that’s been quite useful in my research,” replied McBride.

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:29 pm
by Snapper

Ascot looks like a guilty school child. "That librarian scolded me for being too noisy."

He sips good whisky for a few moments. "We all know how hard times are now. I have far fewer wealthy customers these days looking to go hunting than I did two years ago. Has the village been hit hard by the depression? Is there more poaching, do you think?"

"Just between ourselves, mind. I have no plan to assist the local police catching poachers here."

Spoiler:
I'm no expert but I believe I'm right in saying the whole western world was well into the Depression by '31 and everyone knew it?

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:11 am
by Philulhu
”The Depression? Its effects aren’t felt here quite the same way as Glasgow, for example. People will always need food, after all!” said McBride. ”We do have the distillery down the road, though, but I don’t know whether they’ve been affected. Oh, and Earl Cawdor’s game sports, but the people who tend to go for that are those who make money in depressions rather than lose it, if you get my drift.”

As for poaching, I’m sure it goes on but I wouldn’t know much about that.”

Roll Psychology, please.

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:44 am
by Snapper

1d%pHL10%

"And, as a matter of interest, where do Earl Cawdor's game sports take place?"

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:41 am
by Mr. Handy

Bonnie notices something.

Spot Hidden roll (50% skill) talking to Dr. McBride:
d%
The Great Depression was well underway by 1931, and while some people were still in denial at that point, and while some of those in charge tried to convince people that recovery was right around the corner, people could feel its effects. I'm not sure if it was called the Great Depression yet (that might have been 1932).

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:06 pm
by Philulhu
There was a noticeable tic on McBride’s face when Bonnie mentioned the library.

”Any of the land around here that isn’t turned over to farming belongs to the Earl,” replied Dr McBride. ”Mainly grouse and stags, some fishing too.”

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:23 am
by BoyBlunder78
Have you spoken to the Reverend? He seems to be of the opinion the Manor is haunted and that the young master and his new found friend brought something back with them and rurned their back on the.church.""

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:49 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm from Inverness, and I've spent a good deal of time at the library there," says Bonnie. "It has such a wealth of information. We were just there today, in fact."

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:52 am
by Philulhu
”Oh, err, were you?” McBride shifted uncomfortably in his seat. He looked over to Dr Douglas as if glad to be talking to someone else. ”Well, the Reverend would take a dim view of anything like that, wouldn’t he?” he said, with a slightly brittle laugh.

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"We found some interesting papers at the library that the Reverend told us about, in fact," says Bonnie.

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:34 pm
by Philulhu
Dr McBride studied Bonnie for a long moment. ”The Reverend’s journal? I’ve read it, yes,” he replied, cautiously. ”What did you make of it? It seemed to me to be the product of its less enlightened time. All that about natives from abroad being at the centre of some sort of mysterious happening frankly smacks of witch hunts and colonialism.”

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:42 am
by Mr. Handy

"Some of it does sound rather sensational," says Bonnie, "but it is interesting that sheep were being taken then just as they are now. I'm also curious aboot what happened with Moira. She eloped with a merchant from Aberdeen, but his name isna given. They could have descendants around today. Do ye ken aught about this merchant?"

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:38 am
by Philulhu
McBride looked distinctly uncomfortable at the way the conversation had turned. He squirmed in his seat, glanced at his watch and blustered, ”No, I don’t know anything about him.have no knowledge of him.” He stood quickly and said, ”Thank you for the drink but I really must be going.” He nodded a brisk farewell, then made for the exit, stopping only to say a few words to some of the locals at the bar, one of whom, Willie Stewart, turned and glared at the group as the Doctor scurried out the door.

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:26 pm
by Snapper

Ascot grins as he savours his drink. Under his breath, he says to the others, "Well played, team, well played. Now, if young Willie comes over, he's all mine."

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:54 pm
by Philulhu
Stewart made no attempt to come over to their table, he just glared balefully until he had finished his drink and then he left the pub.

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:28 pm
by BoyBlunder78
"It seems the good doctor may have soured Stewarts night with whatever comment he said. I daresay it concerned us. Soo what do you all make of McBride's reaction to Bonnie questioning him about the Aunt? If i was a salubrious man i would sayhe may have a famil connection."

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:42 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, he must be a descendant of hers," says Bonnie, who did her best to eavesdrop. "That explains his interest in the subject - and embarrassment by it. He circled that passage. The merchant's surname may very well have been McBride. Nice to know I havena lost my touch for alienating people."

Listen roll (40% skill) to overhear Dr. McBride:
d%

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:14 am
by Snapper

"That seems a good bet, doesn't it? And if he is the long lost heir, I wonder what the chances are that he's already gone and had a look at the ancestral haunt? And maybe stirred something up?"

"My suggestion is we do some exploring ourselves, tomorrow."

Ascot produces and unfolds the big local map he bought in Inverness.

"Where might have a nice view of the manor?"

Spoiler:
Is there somewhere that can be identified from the map that would allow the party to watch the manor for a while?

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:50 pm
by Philulhu
The manor sits surrounded by trees so there isn’t really anywhere you can sit and observe the manor per se. If you wanted to observe andy comings and goings i.e. watching people going from the village to the manor, you’d be able to find a copse of trees or similar.

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:20 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Mr. Handy wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:42 am Image

"Aye, he must be a descendant of hers," says Bonnie, who did her best to eavesdrop. "That explains his interest in the subject - and embarrassment by it. He circled that passage. The merchant's surname may very well have been McBride. Nice to know I havena lost my touch for alienating people."

Listen roll (40% skill) to overhear Dr. McBride:
d%
" Oh i think it was his own motives rather tha
you Bonnie that ended that conversation. You may be right Ascot if he is an heir then he may have roused some old spirits (chuckle) while researching any inheritance."

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:30 am
by Snapper

Ascot folds the map away again. "It might be a good day to bring a hunting piece, if you have one. Discreetly, mind. In Rhodesia it's not unusual to see people in town with a rifle but I think it might stir trouble around here if you stroll through the village with a shotgun slung over your back."

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:37 am
by Mr. Handy

"I brought two in my gun case," says Bonnie, "a rifle and a shotgun. The rifle's for me. I don't want to get close enough to a beastie to use a shotgun, but if one of ye who is unarmed wants to borrow it, ye'd be welcome. I'd suspected that Dr. McBride was related. This confirms it."

Did my Listen roll allow me to hear what Dr. McBride said to Willie?

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:05 pm
by Philulhu
Anything else you want to do before turning in?

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:32 pm
by Mr. Handy

Not unless I overheard something of significance.

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:04 pm
by Philulhu
Sorry, no. McBride’s conversation with Stewart was quite guarded and Bonnie couldn’t hear what was being said over the chatter at the bar.

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:56 pm
by Joajackson
Philulhu wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:05 pm
Anything else you want to do before turning in?
Nothing to do I think. Apart from making sure to keep light sleep and a closed windows. There could be a demon hunting things arround.

Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:57 am
by BoyBlunder78
Mr. Handy wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:37 am Image

"I brought two in my gun case," says Bonnie, "a rifle and a shotgun. The rifle's for me. I don't want to get close enough to a beastie to use a shotgun, but if one of ye who is unarmed wants to borrow it, ye'd be welcome. I'd suspected that Dr. McBride was related. This confirms it."

Did my Listen roll allow me to hear what Dr. McBride said to Willie?
"I would take your offer of the shotgun, although not proficient i do know my way around one from my youth, shooting various vermin from the farms."

Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:02 am
by Snapper

"Would we be happy with an early start? Say 7am, ready down here?"

Spoiler:
Are there roads that would let the party drive closer to the manor?

Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:26 am
by Philulhu
The Manor is just on the outskirts of the village, not much more than 1/4 mile away. There is a track (not a road) up to the Manor although it is badly maintained and wasn’t designed with motor vehicles in mind.

Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:58 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, bright and early," says Bonnie.

Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:06 am
by Snapper

"Right, early evening, early rise. Slowly, slowly, catchee monkey, as we say in Africa. And I'm going to keep my rifle in it's gun case when I bring it down on the morning." And with that, Ascot retires for the evening.

Spoiler:
Once upstairs, Ascot will load up his rifle and 5 rounds in his revolver, leaving the 6th chamber empty for safety.

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:17 am
by Philulhu
Time to go exploring - To the Manor borne….