Page 1 of 1

The Sneck (Everyone)

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:00 am
by Philulhu
The Station Hotel, Academy Street, Inverness
Wednesday 18 March 1931. 8.00pm

The station clock tolled 8 ‘o’ clock as the party disembarked at Inverness railway station. The journey had been pleasant enough, rolling up through England and into the Scottish Highlands, but tiring, so the sight of the hotel just outside the station was a welcome one.

A station porter assisted with their luggage and a doorman opened the front door to admit them to the reception area, where a neatly attired, one-armed man stood behind the desk.

“Welcome to the Station Hotel,” he said, in a distinct Scottish burr. “I hope ye’ve had a pleasant journey. Now, do ye have any reservations? We’re a might full this evening.”

’The Sneck’ - what locals call Inverness, in case anyone was wondering.

I’ll assume that you had chance to pick up anything you wanted to bring with you (within reason) and that Father Ò Staban managed to catch the same train as everyone else (the time had been announced so there was no reason for him not to know). If you have any doubts as to whether that elephant gun you brought will attract attention, just ask. I’ve skipped the train journey but you will have time to discuss the case the in guest’s lounge before deciding on your course of action.

Re: The Sneck (Everyone)

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:33 pm
by Snapper

Ascot straightens his back with some audible popping and a sigh. "And a good evening to you in this beautiful part of the country. There should be several rooms booked by a Mr Price for our party. I'm Ascot."

Ascot casts a happy look about the hotel while he waits, curious to see the changes from England to Scotland.

Spoiler:
I'm hoping Ascot's standard 303 rifle in its case won't be an issue.
If asked, his honest answer is it's his hunting piece. (And a souvenir of the War.) His old service revolver is tucked away in his trunk, wrapped in a cloth.

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:46 pm
by danyw
As soon as she stepped foot off the train, Caitríona was instantly more joyful. Being on the grounds of Scotland somehow felt so much better than being on the grounds of England. Satchel securely around her chest—she had refused to relinquish it when the porter took her suitcase—she smiled at the man behind the desk as she stood near Mr. Ascot. She was glad to see that they employed disabled veterans here; at least that's what she assumed he was. "Good evening, sir," she added to Mr. Ascot's statement.

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:59 pm
by Philulhu
Ascot’s first impression of the differences was tartan, lots and lots of tartan… Other than that, the bar that lay just off the reception area was perhaps smaller than those he had seen in English hotels but otherwise they were markedly similar.

“Good evening, Mr Ascot,” replied the concierge. “I have yer reservation here.” He glanced at the rifle bag over Ascot’s shoulder. “It is hotel policy, Sir, that any weapons are locked away in the hotel safe whilst ye’re on the premises. I trust also that ye have a firearm certificate? The local pollis are quite strict on the matter.”

Turning to Caitriona, he smiled and glanced at the telegram in front of him. “Welcome, Miss. I assume ye are in the same party. Would ye be Miss MacKenzie or Miss Ward?”

The Firearms Act of 1920 is in effect: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearms_ ... s_Act_1920.

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:28 pm
by danyw
"Right I am, sir. That'd be Miss Ward, but I think that you can call me Miss Mac an Bhaird, if it's not too much trouble." Cait assumed that he would be perfectly fine with called her by her true surname, but she requested it politely just the same.

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:39 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Dr Douglas is sitting in the hotel lounge after returning from.his room, his medical bag by his chair. He approaches Ascot and the lady at the front desk. "What do you think of our beautiful Scottish countryside?" ] Then addressing the pair of them I ask " Is there any sign of the old priest?:

OOC:   My medical bag comtains the usual equipmemt. Scalpel, stethoscope, reflex hammer, scissors, gauze bandages,, padding, various painkillers, couple bottles of laudumn  

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:13 pm
by Joajackson
BoyBlunder78 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:39 pm Dr Douglas is sitting in the hotel lounge after returning from.his room, his medical bag by his chair. He approaches Ascot and the lady at the front desk. "What do you think of our beautiful Scottish countryside?" ] Then addressing the pair of them I ask " Is there any sign of the old priest?:

OOC:   My medical bag comtains the usual equipmemt. Scalpel, stethoscope, reflex hammer, scissors, gauze bandages,, padding, various painkillers, couple bottles of laudumn  
At the moment of the declaration, there was the sign of the old priest. The old man, foreign as it could be, had just now managed to finally get into the hotel. He seemed to have gotten lost at some point somewhere while leaving the train, in which he has travelled too.

He would go to try and see if there was an available room in the hotel in any case, that presumably should be, as if he had firmed the legal papers, there would have been space for him presumably, and it was improbable for that space to already have been occupied by another person. In any case, while passing by, he did did a sign of hello to the other travellers.

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:45 pm
by Philulhu
The (male) concierge amended Cait’s details, issued Dr Douglas with his key (and details of a local optician) before turning to Father Ò Shaban.

“Good evening, Father. Welcome to the Station Hotel. Do ye have a reservation?”

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:21 pm
by Joajackson
Philulhu wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:45 pm The (male) concierge amended Cait’s details, issued Dr Douglas with his key (and details of a local optician) before turning to Father Ò Shaban.

[color=#00800]“Good evening, Father. Welcome to the Station Hotel. Do ye have a reservation?”[/color]
The Father Ó Shaban in his friendly manner answered with quite the confusion.

"Ze forrgiveness good man, forr I don't zink I have. It's zere a broblem wiz zat? I am surre zere is at least a rroom available."

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:23 pm
by Philulhu
Your lady at the front desk was Cait wasn’t it? I assumed that you’d mistaken the concierge for a woman, hence my reference to an optician’s…

My bad - sorry!😬

“I’m afraid we’re fully booked, Father. There was a train cancelled and all of our rooms have gone,” replied the concierge apologetically. ”I can recommend another hotel or there’s allus the seaman’s mission, although that might be a wee bit rough and ready for ye.”

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:05 am
by Joajackson
Philulhu wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:23 pm
Your lady at the front desk was Cait wasn’t it? I assumed that you’d mistaken the concierge for a woman, hence my reference to an optician’s…

My bad - sorry!😬

“I’m afraid we’re fully booked, Father. There was a train cancelled and all of our rooms have gone,” replied the concierge apologetically. ”I can recommend another hotel or there’s allus the seaman’s mission, although that might be a wee bit rough and ready for ye.”
The Father seemed quite worried about such, and after touching his beard he spoke.

"Yes, yes. I so see. Quite ze situation one would say. Quite terrible. But everryzing will be solved, Inshallah. I so say. If you would be so amiable, I will ask forr a... How you call it? A taxi, yes. And an hotel recomendation."

After saying this and doubting for a moment, he spoke again.

"And if you can, could you find some... How would you call it? Brrotection firm? Bodyguards, zats is ze name, yes? Zeir number, yes. I want to travel to ze countryside, and well. Forrgiveness, but not all scotts like the Coptic."

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:02 am
by Snapper

Philulhu wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:59 pm
“Good evening, Mr Ascot,” replied the concierge. “I have yer reservation here.” He glanced at the rifle bag over Ascot’s shoulder. “It is hotel policy, Sir, that any weapons are locked away in the hotel safe whilst ye’re on the premises. I trust also that ye have a firearm certificate? The local pollis are quite strict on the matter.”

Ascot casually unslings the rifle case and places it in the counter. "Yes, of course, all properly documented. I organise game hunting tours to Africa. I am hoping to do a little deer hunting here, should the opportunity arise. In the meantime, I would be most grateful if you could keep this in your safe."

Ascot politely glances at the man's lost arm for a moment. "Was that the War's doing, if you'll pardon my asking? The Scots gained a hard earned reputation for fierceness and bravery."

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:14 am
by Philulhu
“‘The Coptic’? What’s that then, Father? Something to do with ye being a priest?” The concierge laughed. “Ye’ll not be needing a bodyguard round here, lest ye’re planning on lecturing on temperance down at the Mission! Ye’ll have nae trouble.”

“Let me try ma pal, Doddie,” he continued. ”He works at the Columba - I’ll see if I can’t get ye a room there.” He went into the back office where he could be heard on the telephone, although Father Ò Shaban struggled to follow the conversation being in board Scots.

“Ye’re sorted, Father,” said the concierge. “The Columba’s got a room and one of the lads’ll run ye over there in the trap.”

The concierge turned to Ascot. “Aye, sir. I served with the Tyneside Scottish at The Somme and Amentiers, but lost ma arm at Arras in 1917. It was good of the boss to hold ma job open ‘til I was fit and well again.”

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:23 am
by Snapper

Philulhu wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:14 am
The concierge turned to Ascot. “Aye, sir. I served with the Tyneside Scottish at The Somme and Amentiers, but lost ma arm at Arras in 1917. It was good of the boss to hold ma job open ‘til I was fit and well again.”

"I am very pleased to hear it." Ascot pulls a shilling from his pocket and discreetly passes it over the counter. "Perhaps you'll have a small whisky later and think of our brothers who didn't come home."

Ascot nods and makes ready to head to his room.

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"Dinna fash yourself, Father," says Bonnie. "I live in the area. I can stay at home and meet everyone here in the morning, and you can have my room. 'Twill give me the chance to bring some things too."

I'm bringing a (modified) black 1931 Rolls Royce 20/25, with a tool kit as well as a gun case containing a shotgun, a hunting rifle, and ammo for both (stored in the boot). I'll also bring a hunting knife and an electric torch.

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:11 am
by Philulhu
How will our new investigators learn the perils of splitting the party if you do that…? ;)

Given the lateness of the hour, the concierge informed them that the kitchens were closed but he would ask the kitchen porter if he could rustle up some sandwiches. Twenty minutes late, they were sat around a table in the otherwise deserted hotel restaurant to find the porter had excelled himself. Bowls of steaming cock-a-leekie soup - the national dish made with peppered chicken stock, leeks and prunes - were served with big chunks of bread to the hungry travellers, followed by a glass of sherry while they talked about their plans for the coming day.

This is your chance to discuss how you’re going to start finding out what happened.

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:55 am
by Joajackson
Mr. Handy wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:25 am Image

"Dinna fash yourself, Father," says Bonnie. "I live in the area. I can stay at home and meet everyone here in the morning, and you can have my room. 'Twill give me the chance to bring some things too."

I'm bringing a (modified) black 1931 Rolls Royce 20/25, with a tool kit as well as a gun case containing a shotgun, a hunting rifle, and ammo for both (stored in the boot). I'll also bring a hunting knife and an electric torch.
The Father Ó Shaban seemed quite happy at her declaration but refused nonetheless.

"Forrgiveness, young Lady. Forr I will refuse, I couldnt ask too much of you."

At that, he would say goodbye to everyone there, and leave to the other hotel.

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:34 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Joajackson wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:05 am
Philulhu wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:23 pm

My bad - sorry!😬

Its ok lol. I should have been clearer. I thought it was a hint to go and quiz the optician :lol:

The Father seemed quite worried about such, and after touching his beard he spoke.

"Yes, yes. I so see. Quite ze situation one would say. Quite terrible. But everryzing will be solved, Inshallah. I so say. If you would be so amiable, I will ask forr a... How you call it? A taxi, yes. And an hotel recomendation."

After saying this and doubting for a moment, he spoke again.

"And if you can, could you find some... How would you call it? Brrotection firm? Bodyguards, zats is ze name, yes? Zeir number, yes. I want to travel to ze countryside, and well. Forrgiveness, but not all scotts like the Coptic."

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:50 pm
by danyw
Cait laid her bag around the back of her seat and stretched her legs discreetly, glad to finally be eating something. The fare on the train was alright, but something about eating while moving did not sit right with her, even when you could hardly feel the train's speed at all. She was a bit disappointed the soup contained no prunes, but she ate it and the bread heartily nonetheless.

"Excellent dinner," she said to no one in particular, although she meant to thank the porter again afterwards. More toward the group she added, "Too bad about the Father, though I expect we'll be seeing something of him tomorrow. And speaking of—what do we plan to do in the morning? If it's alright with the rest of you, I think meeting here at 8AM sharp and making our way to the house together should work well."

Cait has brought typical things along with her as well as her medical/first aid kit (the usual things, with some stranger items like scalpels and such due to the fact she works with dead bodies rather than living ones), her electric flashlight, and her Box Brownie camera.

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:31 pm
by BoyBlunder78
"8am is fine by me and speaking pf the good father i might check with reception and see where they may have sent him, although he may not have signed along with us, a man of the cloth may be an asset should anything 'otherworldly raise its head" [color=BF0000] With a smirk on his face, Dr Douglas cleans the lenses of his glasses as he mentions 'otherworldy'.

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:22 pm
by danyw
"I agree," Cait replied seriously. "Even if he did seem a bit out of sorts."

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:55 pm
by Philulhu
“I sent him over to the Columba,” said the concierge when asked. “It’s about ten minutes walk, on the other side of the river.”

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:15 am
by Snapper
OOC:   Before all the PCs disappear, shall we / they have a quick discussion about the plan of attack for the morning?  

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:25 am
by Snapper

"Before everyone goes, shall we make a rough plan for the morning?" Ascot suggests, sipping his sherry with evident, polite satisfaction.

"I don't know anything about hunting ghosts but I do know a bit about hunting ferocious predators. Normally, I would start by getting to know the lay of the land, talking to locals familiar with the area, and looking for signs of the prey."

"So, I would suggest some of us talk to local experts. In this case, the Inspector Sinclair mentioned in the papers, and perhaps the local newspaper itself, both might be a good start. I'm not really a sociable type, so maybe someone else could follow that up?"

"I'm thinking our priest friend could talk to the local Presbyterian minister and Catholic priest, see what they think."

"For lay of the land, I believe, Miss MacKenzie, you have a car? Perhaps you, Miss Ward and I might take a spin to Strathmorn itself and make a preliminary survey?"

"Miss Ward, we should perhaps obtain permission from the local police before we enter the house where the murder occurred. We don't want to be accused of interfering with their official activities. And as I mentioned, I'd prefer to get some idea of the lay of the land before we commence the hunt."

"As we say in Africa, there are old hunters, and there are bold hunters, but there are no old, bold hunters."

"What does everyone think?"

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:01 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, those are some good ideas," says Bonnie, getting excited. "I have a car - and what a car! Wait until you see! Actually I have more than one. I think we should also try to find out everything we can about the dead man. The more we know about him, the more it will guide us to his killer. Whether he was murdered by man or haint, there's a reason behind it. We need to find out who may have wanted him dead."

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:12 am
by Philulhu
Wednesday 18 March 1931. 9.30pm

As Cait and Dr. Douglas discussed Father Ó Shaban, who should make an appearance but the old priest himself. Tired and hungry, footsore and damp from the rain that was falling outside, he cut a sorry sight as he made his way into the restaurant where everyone else sat amidst the remains of their meal.

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:55 am
by Snapper

Ascot sees the oddball priest return and quietly sighs.

"Ah, Father Shaban, we are just making plans. My thought was you could go talk to the local Presbyterian and Catholic clergy here tomorrow. See what their views are on supernatural murders. You being the most qualified of us to talk shop with them."

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:19 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Dr Douglas stands and greets the priest. "Ah father we were just talking about you" I stand to offer him my seat.""In my experience in order to get a good idea of local comings and goings you cant cant get much better than hotel staff."
OOC:   Is the hotel bar open?  

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:06 pm
by Philulhu
Yes the bar is open. At least, the concierge brought you all a sherry so it’s safe to say that drinks are available for guests.

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:32 pm
by Joajackson
BoyBlunder78 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:19 pm Dr Douglas stands and greets the priest. "Ah father we were just talking about you" I stand to offer him my seat.""In my experience in order to get a good idea of local comings and goings you cant cant get much better than hotel staff."
OOC:   Is the hotel bar open?  
Father Ó Shaban was clearly in not a perfect condition, and he thanked the seat offer. Seating there immediately to rest for now.

"Sir Ascot, while it could be done so. Forgiveness, but we arre currently in Iverness, not in Strazmorn. Ze murrder of a man in a rural village I believe, is not of ze rrelevance for ze Presbyterian Bishop of Moray, nor ze Dean of Iverness. In Strazmorn I shall met with ze men of ze cloth, but not in Iverness."

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:43 pm
by Philulhu
Anyone else have any thoughts about where to go in the morning?

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:01 pm
by danyw
I'd like to add something but I'll have to post it in a few hours when I get home.

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:41 pm
by Philulhu
No problem. Just trying to keep the game ticking over :)

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:57 pm
by BoyBlunder78
I was going to chat to the barman, see what the word about is about the murder. Maybe we should meet with Inspector Sinclair as soon as possible.

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:24 am
by danyw
Cait frowned, twisting her mouth to the side. "I suppose that yes, we ought to contact the police force. I only assumed the home would be fully abandoned now that the murderer is locked away. Hopefully they don't try to interfere once they know we're planning to investigate the home." At Mr. Ascot's other suggestion, she adds, "But I would be glad to travel with the two of you," referring to Mr. Ascot and Miss MacKenzie, "while the others remain here and speak with the Inspector and that boy the paper mentioned. But then, Father, perhaps you should go with the two of them instead, or even just Miss MacKenzie while the rest of us cover Iverness."

I don't actually intend to split the party, but this is Cait's idea for now. Also, how do you get the spoiler button to say OOC? Without actually clicking the OOC button whose colors I hate

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:51 am
by Joajackson
danyw wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:24 am Cait frowned, twisting her mouth to the side. "I suppose that yes, we ought to contact the police force. I only assumed the home would be fully abandoned now that the murderer is locked away. Hopefully they don't try to interfere once they know we're planning to investigate the home." At Mr. Ascot's other suggestion, she adds, "But I would be glad to travel with the two of you," referring to Mr. Ascot and Miss MacKenzie, "while the others remain here and speak with the Inspector and that boy the paper mentioned. But then, Father, perhaps you should go with the two of them instead, or even just Miss MacKenzie while the rest of us cover Iverness."

I don't actually intend to split the party, but this is Cait's idea for now. Also, how do you get the spoiler button to say OOC? Without actually clicking the OOC button whose colors I hate
Father Ó Shaban was drying up his bones and touching his great beard, as he was thinking of the words of Miss Cait Ward. At the end he answered, quite the charming and friendly smiling old priest.

"Miss Ward, forrgiveness, I shall refuse. I am herre to have fun, wiz all ze talk of zis spirits and ghosz, ze sincerity being relevant to all. I have no desirree forr us to run, when we can walk. And, ze investigations of zese Iverrness I expect to be to my liking. Also tomorrow is the Feast of ze Cross, and I prefer to brray in a church in a town, and not a small village."

This way, just copy and paste from a quote.
And just saying, I have actually looked up Coptic religious celebrations and will try to follow them with this character, they are stupidly complicated so I have no idea if I will do it correctly in any way..

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:11 am
by Mr. Handy

"I agree, we should definitely talk to the police first and find out what they know," says Bonnie. "Maybe we should stick together in Inverness and pursue all the avenues of investigation here before we all go to Strathmorn together."

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:13 am
by Philulhu
Dany - just add =OOC or =Keeper between Spoiler-Button and the square bracket ] As joajackson said, if you quote a previous post then you can see how it works.

Joajackson - you get as Coptic as you want! Always happy to see a player really get into their character :)

Father Ó Shaban is just recruiting some help so we’ll get onto the pollis as soon as he’s sorted…

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:56 am
by Snapper

Ascot shrugs amiably. "Miss Ward, I may have missed something but I don't think the shepherd boy has even been charged, let alone had a trial and been found guilty, so I'm not sure we can say the murderer is safely locked away."

"I would suggest we try to not annoy the local police if we want to get anything done here."

"And if everyone wants to stay here in Inverness tomorrow, I have no problem with that. Father, you're the expert, if you'd rather wait to talk to a minister or priest in Strathmorn, if there are such, please do."

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:44 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Dr Douglas walks over to the concierge to order another drink. "Hello my good man, could i possibly bother you fer a wee dram of whisky? I must say its a terrible business about the death of that poor boy. Do ya ken much about it?

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:00 pm
by Philulhu
“To be honest, I don’t know much more than what I’ve seen in the papers,” replied the concierge as he poured Dr Douglas his drink. “I haven’t been up that way for a few years, probably since I was a bairn.”

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:06 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Philulhu wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:00 pm “To be honest, I don’t know much more than what I’ve seen in the papers,” replied the concierge as he poured Dr Douglas his drink. “I haven’t been up that way for a few years, probably since I was a bairn.”
"Whats the area like? Do ya ken the Mcleod boy who the local polis have in custody?

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:16 pm
by Philulhu
“It’s just a wee clachan - a village,” said the concierge, reverting to the time-honoured trope of polishing the glasses behind the bar. “As I said, I havenae been up that way for a few years, so I’ve nae idea who the lad is, sorry.”

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:11 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Can i roll psychology to see if hes lying? He may just be saying this because he thinks im judt a nosey outsider.

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:16 pm
by Philulhu
Sure, go for it.

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:30 pm
by BoyBlunder78
ok. Bare with me lol

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:30 pm
by BoyBlunder78
1d100

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:31 pm
by BoyBlunder78
oh poo. Lol

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:39 pm
by Philulhu
The good doctor has absolutely no reason to think that the concierge is telling him anything other than the truth…

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:43 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Dejected Dr Douglas leaves the bar, (drink in hand) and returns to.the group. So, are we meeting thengood Inspector tomorrow?

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:58 pm
by Philulhu
Let me know where you’re planning to go in the morning e.g. Inspector Sinclair, up to Strathmorn, etc. and I’ll move us on in the morning.

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:29 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Addressing the group Dr Douglas"I[think we should introduce ourselves to the Inspector in the morning. Last thing we want is to turn up at a murder scenes unannounced. Coukd possibly put his nose out of joint and make him less er...uncooperative. Plus we may get acess to the S
shepherd boy."/color]

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:14 am
by Snapper
Spoiler:
I think everyone is happy to conduct investigations in Inverness tomorrow.

"Well, it won't need all of us to speak to the inspector. I might take the opportunity tomorrow to find a good map of the area. And I'll see what else there is to be found in Inverness."

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:36 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, let's talk to the Inspector in the morning," agrees Bonnie.

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:09 am
by Philulhu
Thursday 19 March 1931. 9.30am

Father Ó Shaban had arrived with a local lad who he introduced as Hamish, his bodyguard against the toughs and ne’er do wells that he was convinced haunted Scotland. Hamish was solidly built, with a shock of red hair, who carried a beater’s pole.

The party headed out onto the rain-swept streets, some to visit the Police Station, others to see what other information they could find about recent events and the location in which they occurred.

Ok, anyone wanting to explore Inverness should continue in this thread. If you’re going to talk to Inspector Sinclair, go here: https://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/vi ... 493&t=7619

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:18 am
by Snapper

Ascot is up early, clean-shaven and having enjoyed the hotel breakfast. Adding a well-worn but serviceable grey trench-coat and fedora to his tweed suit, he wishes the others heading to the police station, "Cheerio then," and heads off.

His first mission is to find something in the range of a detailed ordinance or survey map of the area, one that includes Strathmorn.

Ascot is happy, of course, for anyone not heading for the police station to come with him.

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:26 pm
by Philulhu
A stroll along the brought Ascot to a bookshop from where he was able to purchase 1 inch:1 mile Ordnance Survey map of the local area.

Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:40 am
by Snapper

Happy with his purchase, Ascot tucks the map in a pocket inside his coat and heads off to find the offices of the local newspaper. His intention is to find copies of the paper following on from the murder.

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:51 am
by Philulhu
Inverness Public Library, Farraline Park, Inverness
Thursday 19 March 1931. 9.45am

An enquiry at the local newspaper had seen Ascot directed to the Public Library. A librarian sat at the desk looked up as he entered, glancing over his reading glasses. ”Can I help you, sir?” he asked quietly.

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:06 pm
by Snapper

Ascot whispers remarkably loudly and with his distinctly colonial African accent. "I certainly hope so, eh. I'm looking for recent editions of the local newspaper that might have articles about that murder in Strathmorn. Or really, anything at all about Strathmorn."

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:50 pm
by Philulhu
The librarian bid Ascot take a seat at a reading desk and went off to find the information that he had asked for.

Can I have a library use roll?

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:41 am
by Snapper

1d%L20%

OOC:   Fail. Ascot playing to his strengths...  

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:20 am
by Philulhu
Ascot would be disappointed to find that the library had little more information that they already knew. The local paper carried the same story that had been syndicated to the Scottish Herald and the London Gazette, with a follow-up piece a few days later that stated the police enquiries were ongoing and Jamie McLeod was still in custody.

The information about Strathmorn was similarly limited. A local guidebook said the village was home to about 100 people, most of whom of working age were employed in farming or the local distillery. Lord Cawdor (an absent landowner) had turned over a good part of his land to hunting and shooting in recent years. A good place to stay (in fact the only place) was the the Strathmorn Hotel and the local manor was reputed to be haunted.

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:18 am
by Snapper

Ascot checks his map to see if there's a train line to Strathmorn. If there is, he'll head to the Train Station to check times all week for a train trip.

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:49 am
by Philulhu
There was no train to Strathmorn. It seemed the bus ran twice per week; once on a Saturday and the second on a Thursday, which was market day in Inverness.

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:37 am
by Snapper
OOC:   This is Thursday, isn't it? Assuming it is, Ascot will go explore the markets.  

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:14 am
by Philulhu
Ummm, yes. I should have checked the date before making up a spurious fact about markets in Inverness! :o

The market was busy, comprising forty or so stalls selling everything from fresh vegetables to clothes and hardware. The voices of the vendors could be heard as the called out, competing for customers, sometimes in accents so thick Ascot had trouble understanding them…

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:11 pm
by Snapper
Spoiler:
LAUGH!

Eventually getting bored, cold and wet, Ascot heads back to the hotel to wait for the rest of the team's return.

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:19 pm
by Philulhu
Make a Listen roll.

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:06 am
by Snapper

1d%L30%

OOC:   Hard Success.  

Accustomed to listening for animals in the wild, Ascot's hearing is a bit sharper than average.

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:22 am
by Philulhu
A snippet of conversation caught Ascot’s attention, although he couldn’t see the women who were speaking.

“Poor wee lassie. What’s she ganna dee wi’ her fella in the grave?”

“She’ll nae ha’ tae cover up those black eyes he used tae gi’ her. He was a bugger when he’d had a drink!”

“Aye, he was at that! Mind ye, black eye or nae, that nivver stopped young Duncan poppin’ round when her husband was out poachin’! I reckon we both ken what he was there for…”

Both women laughed before their voices faded away into the general hubbub of the market.

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:29 am
by Snapper

Intrigued, Ascot attempts to politely thread his way through the crowd, trying to find the two women who own those voices.

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:27 am
by Philulhu
Try as he might, one headscarfed Scottish woman looked the same as any other.

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:41 am
by Snapper

Ascot shrugs to himself and heads back to the hotel to await his companions.

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:45 pm
by Philulhu
Thursday 19 March 1931. 11.30m

Ascot was treated to a pot of Darjeeling tea and some fine shortbread on his return to the hotel. He was just tucking in when the others returned from their visit to the Police.

A telegram awaited Cait. A friend had been taken ill and she had been asked to go to stay with her friend to help her to recuperate. Reluctantly she had agreed, promising to return if she could.

Unfortunately, Dany has had to drop out so I’ve retired Cait from the game.

The Reverend lives in Strathmorn. Is there anything else you wish to do in Inverness before we move on?

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:08 am
by BoyBlunder78
OOC:   I take it everyone has filled in everyone regarfing what we've found out?  

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:42 am
by BoyBlunder78
"Tis a shame that young Miss Ward has had to leave, she will be missed. When this ghastly business is concluded we must meet with her a tell her how it all worked out."

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:30 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, I quite liked her," says Bonnie.

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:08 am
by Snapper

Rourke spreads out the detailed 1 inch: 1 mile map for the others. "Well, on the upside," he starts in his clipped colonial African accent, "I have a nice map."

"On the downside, I tried reading the recent back issues of the local paper but didn't have much luck. Truthfully, I normally don't read much past the sports pages."

"I can tell you the village has a population of a hundred. And there's a Strathmorn Hotel. Also, the bus runs from here to there Thursday and Saturday."

"Finally, I overheard some Strathmorn local ladies gossiping here at the markets."

"It seems the deceased was violent to his poor wife. She, in turn, may have been a trifle over familiar with a lad named Duncan, and good luck to her, I say."

"And the dead man evidently poached. Which may explain why he was where he was, when he was killed.

Exhausted from all this talking, Ascot gratefully returns to his Darjeeling and short breads.

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:42 am
by Philulhu
BoyBlunder78 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:08 am
OOC:   I take it everyone has filled in everyone regarfing what we've found out?  
If you’re not named in a thread then please don’t read it ;) It wouldn’t have mattered up to now but it may become important further down the line of you go off exploring on your own/talking to other people, etc.

As Snapper/Ascot has done, it’s fine to just do a quick update on what you’ve discovered to share with the group. I’ll add an ‘Investigators’ notes’ thread where you can record anything you wish to remember without having to scroll back through dozens of posts.

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:14 pm
by BoyBlunder78
"Well Ascot good to see you had a productive day, that map,could be invaluable. After a rather frosty introduction to the Inspector(I'm afraid i don't think we can count on much police assistance.), we met the accused. His story was that he had simply fallen asleep in the building and had not seen the victim. Simply a victim of circumstance, a ckassic case of wrong person, wrong time. The body according to a local Sarjeant had been 'ripped to shreds' something I think we can all agree that the scrawny specimen in custody couldnt possibly be capable of."
Dr Douglas sits back swilling a single malt whiskey. "He did mention a local Reverand though who had warned him of the....erm...'ghosts'. He might be the man to speak to regarding local superstitions and also this 'Duncan' you've heard mention of."

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:45 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, it's possible that Duncan or the widow did it," says Bonnie, "or both together, if they were each other's alibi. It's also possible that a wild beastie is responsible, considering the damage to the body. We willna need to wait for the bus. We can all fit in my car."

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:28 am
by Snapper

"Your car sounds like an excellent idea."

"So the victim was ripped to sheds? What could do that in Scotland, I wonder? All the large carnivores native to Britain have been hunted to extinction long since. Somebody's pet perhaps? The rich and famous do have a tendency to bring exotic animals home as pets. Lions and tigers, that sort of thing. I'd expect the local police would have thought of that already though. And you'd hope someone would report their lost lion."

"I suppose we cannot discount man's capacity for violence, though. Perhaps I'll bring my hunting piece along, eh?"

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:12 pm
by Joajackson
The Father, being visibly the most supernaturally minded of the entire group spoke.

"My good combanions, forrgiveness, but I believe zat ze man zat we met could have done it. Zere is zings zat can drive a man to burre destructive madness, ze men of ze west may not underrstand. But sir Ascot surrely has seen of zings of the farr away, zings zat can cause men to do strangely zings."

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:00 am
by Mr. Handy

"And I shall bring mine," says Bonnie to Ascot. "If there is a beastie, we'll be well prepared. Loch Ness is actually not far from Strathmorn, and there's said to be a monster in the loch, but I've never heard of it coming on land." She points out the loch on the map.

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:35 am
by Snapper

Ascot chuckles happily over his Darjeeling. "A monster in the loch, I love it."

"And, Father you are of course right, man is the most dangerous animal of all. But still, plenty of rich folk have brought big animals home as pets. I don't imagine lions and tigers would much love the climate, but those white bears in the Arctic are downright terrifying. We shall have to wait and see what we can find."

"Shall we have a spot of lunch?"

OOC:   Is it about lunchtime or earlier?  

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:31 am
by BoyBlunder78
Shaking his head with a wry smile. "Demonic possession, wee ghosties and now poor ole Nessie.Should ."be a curious few days

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:02 am
by Philulhu
As if on cue, the concierge approached. “Will ye wanting some lunch? And if I may enquire about your plans for the rest of the day so I can give the chef some advance notice for tonight?”

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:03 am
by BoyBlunder78
I think a spot of lunch would be perfect, then maybe grab any supplies we may need for our little hunting trip?"

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:52 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, lunch sounds good to me too," says Bonnie. "Ye'll like Scottish cooking, gents."

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:59 am
by Snapper

"It's always a good idea to set out on a full stomach. You never know. So, Scottish lunch."

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:16 am
by BoyBlunder78
Mr. Handy wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:52 am Image

"Aye, lunch sounds good to me too," says Bonnie. "Ye'll like Scottish cooking, gents."
" Oh aye, food of the gods!" Dr Douglas says clasping his hands together, a broad smile spreading across his face.

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:53 am
by Philulhu
A lunch of Scotch pie and stories was served in the dining room, with tea and black bun to follow.

As they finished the concierge approached. “Did I hear ye right? Are ye planning to move on today or would ye like me to keep your rooms open?”

No need to roleplay the gathering of equipment (unless you want to). Most things will be available within reason. Just let me know what you’re thinking of and I’ll let you know if it’s available.

Father Ó Shaban has already booked a room for the night in the Strathmorn Hotel.

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:28 pm
by BoyBlunder78
"You have heard correct my man, we will be leaving today. Could you possibly arrange some rooms for us at the Strathmorn Hotel please?"

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:35 pm
by Philulhu
“Very good. I’ll get a telegram away for ye. Will there be anything else?” replied the concierge.

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:42 am
by Mr. Handy

"We could use a ride to my home, please," says Bonnie. "From there, we can take my car."

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:38 am
by Snapper

"I shall just pack my trunk, collect the hunting piece and I'll be ready to go. Shan't take me more than five minutes."

Rourke looks eminently pleased to be heading into the countryside.

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:50 pm
by BoyBlunder78
" I just want to pick up a torch, dinnae
want to be caught in the pitch without a light now."

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:29 pm
by Philulhu
We’re moving on - Strathmorn.

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:28 am
by Philulhu
Inverness Public Library, Farraline Park, Inverness
Friday 20 March 1931. 11.30am

They had left the Doctor and Farmer McIntyre discussing the fate of his sheep and returned to the Strathmorn Hotel, where they were able to collect Bonnie’s car and head into Inverness.

Finding somewhere to park nearby, they headed into the Library. The same librarian that Ascot had seen the previous day was arranging books on a shelf as they entered. ”Good morning, Sirs, Miss. Can I be of assistance?” he asked.

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:37 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank ye," says Bonnie. "We're looking for the papers of Archie McPhee. They were donated to this library."

The thread appears to be locked. As an admin, I'm still able to post in it, and so are you as the Keeper.

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:53 pm
by Philulhu
Sorry, I didn’t intend to lock the thread! :o

The librarian bid them take a seat at a couple of reading tables and returned shortly with a stack of journals, tied together with string. He left them to read as he went on about his duties.

‘2nd June 1810 - Great rejoicing. Young Master Alex McMorn has at last returned from his travels to foreign parts. Widely indeed did he sail, even as far as the Dark Continent of Africa, whence he had brought back a man - an African native. Most devilish the fellow looks too, all the more so for his barbarous tongue, which makes a gross travesty of our language.

Master Alex has brought back many treasures of that forbidden land and a large number of specimens of the flora which he intends to try to cultivate around the manor. He is accompanied by one Douglas, a rough looking sailor who has acted as his manservant for much of his travels.’

14th June 1810 - Am deeply worried concerning the young McMorn. Since his return, young Master Alex hath steadfastly refused to enter the kirk, and this despite the constant urgings of the Laird and of myself. Master Gordon is as good a God-fearing man as ever walked this Earth, and the Lord knows we did our best to raise the boy in the knowledge of God. Yet his sojourns in foreign parts fair seem to have tainted his mind such that the very sight of the House of The Lord fills him with a deep loathing and fear. There will be no good of this ere long.’

3rd August 1810 - Alas! Our Laird has passed his way to Bosom of Christ, and in a manner most queer too. Brodie, the master’s manservant, did summon me from my slumber at 4 o’ the clock and bud me hasten to the manor, and make all speed lest the Devil catch me! Then he hasted back hi’self without waiting, stopping only to peer back at me puffing along behind and yell, “The master is dying!” as if the words themselves could lend youth to my ageing legs. We’ll, in troth, I ran faster than I am able, and have wheezed mightily all day therefrom, but alas it was in vain for, by the time I had arrived, Master Gordon was already beyond this mortal coil and in the arms of his Maker.’

‘Of the manner of his passing there is great mystery as he was in fine fettle the night before, as I saw myself. Yet in the early morning, as Brodie reports, he was screaming, coughing and saying that the very Devil was in his stomach and burning his way out. I have no reason to doubt this as the maids were still clearing of his noxious spew when I arrived, and his poor face was contorted in the most awful fashion so he clearly died in most dreadful pain. None other in the house was affected, nor any who had eaten at the Laird’s table the night past, and I am at a loss to explain what strange ague could have taken a man so fit so suddenly.’

‘4th August 1810 - Great consternation! The young Laird - for Master Alex has no assumed the title - behaves in a manner e’en more strange than before. He has forbidden a public ceremony of burial for his father, insisting that I bury the late Laird at the manor direct into the family vault, and refusing to attend e’en this simple ceremony himself, so great is his hatred of the Works of God. Yet not content with this affront to the village, and presumably refusing to lead them in worship, for he has ne’r once set foot inside the kirk since he returned from that Dark Continent, he has summarily ordered all the late Master’s servants and workmen out of the manor forthwith, leaving only the dour-looking sailor, Douglas, and the native, both of whom returned with him from his travels. It is already a common whisper in the village that Master Alex has poisoned his father, yet I cannot understand why a man should for an inheritance and then straightaway sacrifice all respect and prestige that it brings by such callous and improper acts.’

‘Christmas Day 1810 - Oh Lord, what poison is it that affects our young Laird’s mind so? Have I not prayed, day and night, that on this Great Day You might send some miracle that might cause him to repent his past deeds and return to the Bosom of Your Church? And yet there is still no sign of him. He hides away in the manner all day, seeing naught of his fellow man, and only infrequently sending the sour Douglas to the village or to Inverness to buy food and wine. Some of the village have a rumour that the Master was killed, most probable at the hands of the native Devil, yet Angus McCallan and five strong men paid call at the Manor today to deliver gifts and saw the Laird, for all that he sent them packing with foul words and curses. Perhaps, Lord, I am old and foolish to pray for his soul, for ‘tis plain he has lost it already.’

‘23rd May 1811- A strange event. Two men came all the way from Edinburgh with a carriage containing strange parcels for the Laird. Staying the night at MacPherson‘s hostel, they drank greedily, saying they knew not what was in the packages but that it smelt foul and gave them such awful fears they had driven the horses near to death to be the quickest rid of it. I asked them after the Laird, and they reported him pale and haggard but as foulmouthed as ever.’

Further references to strange deliveries from Edinburgh occurred regularly for the next year or so. Then all references to Alex McMorn ceased until:

‘15 November 1815 - Angus McCallan came to me today with a strange thought. “Is’t not,” he asked, “ By two weeks past now that is made the large delivery of foul parcels from Edinburgh sufficient to tide the evil Laird and his Devilish crew over winter? In troth, I think there may be doings afoot at the manor, for ti’s is hard to mind me when I last saw lights burning there o’er night as they used”. Nor can I make quarrel with this. Angus sayth he will take a group of men and keep watch to see if aught stirs.’

‘20 November 1815 - Five days now Angus McCallan and his men have kept watch on the Manor and naught have they seen of Master Alex and his companions. Village talk has it that they are all dead or fled the region, yet no man is a brave enough to venture beyond the trees to the Manor for fear of what are evil things may lurk there.

Were I more mindful of my duties, I should perhaps send to Inverness to seek word of Master Alex’s Aunt Moira, yet since she sinfully eloped with the merchant from Aberdeen, not one word has she sent anyone of the village, nor her brother or nephew, these 12 years long. B-sides, I mind me of what e’er misfortune Has fallen on the house of magma on the left left best left undisturbed less the same evil the possessed Master Alex be loosed upon other men.’

This last paragraph had been ringed in pencil, fairly recently by the look of it. The diary only began in 1808, and there was no other mention of the elopement of Moira McMorn.

The only other entries of any interest were a few odd mentions of sheep being taken by wolves. The diary ended early in 1816.

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:02 am
by Snapper

Never a great reader beyond Enid Blyton and Arthur Conan-Doyle, Ascot leaves the research to his colleagues. Meanwhile, he goes looking for a hardware or sporting goods store that might sell binoculars.

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:20 am
by Joajackson
Philulhu wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:53 pm
Sorry, I didn’t intend to lock the thread! :o

The librarian bid them take a seat at a couple of reading tables and returned shortly with a stack of journals, tied together with string. He left them to read as he went on about his duties.

‘2nd June 1810 - Great rejoicing. Young Master Alex McMorn has at last returned from his travels to foreign parts. Widely indeed did he sail, even as far as the Dark Continent of Africa, whence he had brought back a man - an African native. Most devilish the fellow looks too, all the more so for his barbarous tongue, which makes a gross travesty of our language.

Master Alex has brought back many treasures of that forbidden land and a large number of specimens of the flora which he intends to try to cultivate around the manor. He is accompanied by one Douglas, a rough looking sailor who has acted as his manservant for much of his travels.’

14th June 1810 - Am deeply worried concerning the young McMorn. Since his return, young Master Alex hath steadfastly refused to enter the kirk, and this despite the constant urgings of the Laird and of myself. Master Gordon is as good a God-fearing man as ever walked this Earth, and the Lord knows we did our best to raise the boy in the knowledge of God. Yet his sojourns in foreign parts fair seem to have tainted his mind such that the very sight of the House of The Lord fills him with a deep loathing and fear. There will be no good of this ere long.’

3rd August 1810 - Alas! Our Laird has passed his way to Bosom of Christ, and in a manner most queer too. Brodie, the master’s manservant, did summon me from my slumber at 4 o’ the clock and bud me hasten to the manor, and make all speed lest the Devil catch me! Then he hasted back hi’self without waiting, stopping only to peer back at me puffing along behind and yell, “The master is dying!” as if the words themselves could lend youth to my ageing legs. We’ll, in troth, I ran faster than I am able, and have wheezed mightily all day therefrom, but alas it was in vain for, by the time I had arrived, Master Gordon was already beyond this mortal coil and in the arms of his Maker.’

‘Of the manner of his passing there is great mystery as he was in fine fettle the night before, as I saw myself. Yet in the early morning, as Brodie reports, he was screaming, coughing and saying that the very Devil was in his stomach and burning his way out. I have no reason to doubt this as the maids were still clearing of his noxious spew when I arrived, and his poor face was contorted in the most awful fashion so he clearly died in most dreadful pain. None other in the house was affected, nor any who had eaten at the Laird’s table the night past, and I am at a loss to explain what strange ague could have taken a man so fit so suddenly.’

‘4th August 1810 - Great consternation! The young Laird - for Master Alex has no assumed the title - behaves in a manner e’en more strange than before. He has forbidden a public ceremony of burial for his father, insisting that I bury the late Laird at the manor direct into the family vault, and refusing to attend e’en this simple ceremony himself, so great is his hatred of the Works of God. Yet not content with this affront to the village, and presumably refusing to lead them in worship, for he has ne’r once set foot inside the kirk since he returned from that Dark Continent, he has summarily ordered all the late Master’s servants and workmen out of the manor forthwith, leaving only the dour-looking sailor, Douglas, and the native, both of whom returned with him from his travels. It is already a common whisper in the village that Master Alex has poisoned his father, yet I cannot understand why a man should for an inheritance and then straightaway sacrifice all respect and prestige that it brings by such callous and improper acts.’

‘Christmas Day 1810 - Oh Lord, what poison is it that affects our young Laird’s mind so? Have I not prayed, day and night, that on this Great Day You might send some miracle that might cause him to repent his past deeds and return to the Bosom of Your Church? And yet there is still no sign of him. He hides away in the manner all day, seeing naught of his fellow man, and only infrequently sending the sour Douglas to the village or to Inverness to buy food and wine. Some of the village have a rumour that the Master was killed, most probable at the hands of the native Devil, yet Angus McCallan and five strong men paid call at the Manor today to deliver gifts and saw the Laird, for all that he sent them packing with foul words and curses. Perhaps, Lord, I am old and foolish to pray for his soul, for ‘tis plain he has lost it already.’

‘23rd May 1811- A strange event. Two men came all the way from Edinburgh with a carriage containing strange parcels for the Laird. Staying the night at MacPherson‘s hostel, they drank greedily, saying they knew not what was in the packages but that it smelt foul and gave them such awful fears they had driven the horses near to death to be the quickest rid of it. I asked them after the Laird, and they reported him pale and haggard but as foulmouthed as ever.’

Further references to strange deliveries from Edinburgh occurred regularly for the next year or so. Then all references to Alex McMorn ceased until:

‘15 November 1815 - Angus McCallan came to me today with a strange thought. “Is’t not,” he asked, “ By two weeks past now that is made the large delivery of foul parcels from Edinburgh sufficient to tide the evil Laird and his Devilish crew over winter? In troth, I think there may be doings afoot at the manor, for ti’s is hard to mind me when I last saw lights burning there o’er night as they used”. Nor can I make quarrel with this. Angus sayth he will take a group of men and keep watch to see if aught stirs.’

‘20 November 1815 - Five days now Angus McCallan and his men have kept watch on the Manor and naught have they seen of Master Alex and his companions. Village talk has it that they are all dead or fled the region, yet no man is a brave enough to venture beyond the trees to the Manor for fear of what are evil things may lurk there.

Were I more mindful of my duties, I should perhaps send to Inverness to seek word of Master Alex’s Aunt Moira, yet since she sinfully eloped with the merchant from Aberdeen, not one word has she sent anyone of the village, nor her brother or nephew, these 12 years long. B-sides, I mind me of what e’er misfortune Has fallen on the house of magma on the left left best left undisturbed less the same evil the possessed Master Alex be loosed upon other men.’

This last paragraph had been ringed in pencil, fairly recently by the look of it. The diary only began in 1808, and there was no other mention of the elopement of Moira McMorn.

The only other entries of any interest were a few odd mentions of sheep being taken by wolves. The diary ended early in 1816.
The Father Ó Shaban seemed to have come to a conclusoon with the final result of the diary reading. With his strange mannerism and old man charm he seemed to find it all somewhat fun and interesting.

"Yes, yes indeed. Inshallah My combanions. Forr ze demon is clearr as the sky, yes. Ze trraveler frrom sar souz bringed an eater demon with him. Firrst he ate ze lord stomach, zen he ate ze strange food packages, and zen he started eating sheeb. So now he has grrown and infested enough, and now ates ze man! Yes indeed my combanions, se story is quite ze clear. I reccomend grreat caution, great caution, forr ze intelect of ze beast is unknown to us, yes. Ze assistance of sir Ascot will be quite commendable forr zis, yes."

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:07 am
by Mr. Handy

Bonnie points out the circled text. "This was made recently," she says. Then she approaches the librarian. "Thank ye. Has anyone else looked at these papers recently?" she asks.

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:55 am
by Philulhu
Ascot was able to find a department store where he could choose from a range of binoculars. He returned with a pair of Carl Zeiss Dekaris 10 x 50 binoculars in a leather case about which he was happy to discuss at length with anyone who would listen. He’d had time for a spot of lunch and a stroll through the botanical gardens before the shadows began to lengthen and he returned to find his colleagues still engrossed in their reading.

As he entered the library, he heard Bonnie talking to the librarian by the front desk, asking who had last looked at the papers they were studying. The librarian shuffled through his index cards advised her that a Dr McBride had been the last person to take them out.

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:12 pm
by Snapper

"I can't wait to show you the binoculars I've bought," Ascot whispers quite loudly to the team.

"Have you found anything interesting?"

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:37 pm
by Philulhu
Ascot’s ‘whisper’ echoed around the room, earning him a reprimanding ’Shssh!’ from the librarian…

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:35 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Turning to Bonnie, " I wonder if Dr McBride was one the gentlemen we met this morning?" Dr Douglas says before turning to the librarian, Where may we find the good doctor?:

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:43 pm
by Philulhu
The question earned Dr Douglas a questioning look from the librarian. ”I’m sure you’ll understand if I tell you that’s private information, Sir,” he said.

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:33 pm
by BoyBlunder78
"i'm sorry, i meant the address of his practice, i should have been clearer. " Dr Douglas says, blushing slightly.

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:21 am
by Philulhu
”Ach, well, that’s a different matter,” said the librarian. He went and fetched the telephone directory, which he quickly leafed through. ”The only Dr McBride I can find has a practice on Golf Course Lane, Strathmorn. Would you like me to write down the details for you?”

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:09 am
by BoyBlunder78
" oh thank you, that would be most appreciated."

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:49 am
by Snapper

Ascot casts a fearful look at the librarian and whispers much, much more quietly. "That doctor we spoke to this morning had an English accent as I recall. Isn't McBride a Scottish surname?"

"I wonder if there is such a thing as a Strathmorn telephone directory in this library?"
Ascot goes hunting for a Strathmorn phone book to see if there are two doctors listed.

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:27 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, it can be," says Bonnie, "or Irish. Of course, could be his father moved to England. We're nae far from the border. We could ask him when we see him." She turns to the librarian. "How long ago did Dr. McBride examine the papers?"

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:10 am
by Philulhu
Ascot wandered around the stacks for a few minutes until it dawned upon him that it was the telephone directory that the librarian had been using…

”Three weeks ago, Miss,” said the librarian as he jotted down the address and phone number. ”And we’ve been crossing the border since before Roman times. A wee wall isn’t going to stop us…” He smiled at his own joke. ”Now is there anything else I can do for you?”

Just in case anyone’s unfamiliar with northern England, the librarian is referring to Hadrian's Wall.

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:28 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank ye kindly," says Bonnie. Then to her companions she says "Let's head back to Strathmorn and pay a visit to Dr. McBride."

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:18 am
by Snapper

"Excellent plan. I am keen to try out my binoculars."

"Did your research show if any unusual or dangerous pets are brought back from other countries?"

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:23 pm
by BoyBlunder78
OOC:   I'll hust check....  
Dr Douglas turns to to the librarian. " Do you have any records on any imported wild animals into the area? Also i thought wolves were extinct round these parts?"

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:46 pm
by Philulhu
”Wolves have been extinct for almost two hundred years,” replied the librarian. ”As for imported wild animals, we don’t have any records but if there was anything like that, I think I’d have heard of it. I read the newpapers every day and if someone brings in an animal like that, you’ll normally find them bragging about it. I don’t recall seeing anything.”

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:29 pm
by BoyBlunder78
"Looks like a negative on the exotic animal front ol' chap." Dr Douglas says to Ascot.

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:48 am
by Joajackson
BoyBlunder78 wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:29 pm "Looks like a negative on the exotic animal front ol' chap." Dr Douglas says to Ascot.
The Father Ó Shaban Interjected to that with reassurring words.

"I wouldnt be so surre. Yes, zere is no bublic animal. But ze trraveler from ze farr continent, he could have bringed ze secret kind."

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:22 am
by BoyBlunder78
"This is true Father." Once again the Doctor turns to the librarian with another question, "Is there a record of the young Master Alec Mcmorn's ships manifest from when he rerurned from the dark continent? Also has anyone else from the village teturned from any exoctuc climes?"

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:56 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, something killed those sheep," says Bonnie, "and it wasna the lad. He has a perfect alibi for that last one."

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:10 am
by Snapper

"Excellent teamwork! Now we're making some progress."

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:00 am
by Philulhu
The librarian looked at them for a long moment and scratched his head. ”Let me see…” he said. He walked off to consult some index cards behind the main desk, came back to read the journal, then headed off in the direction of the newspaper archive. He returned 15 minutes with a large ledger-style book, which opened to reveal some yellowing copies of the Inverness Courier. He carefully turned through the pages until he found the newspaper that matched the date of Alex McMorn’s return. A few days later, there was a short article about his return from Africa.

Explorer Returns!
Tuesday, 5 June 1810

Master Alexander McMorn, son of Gordon McMorn of McMorn Manor, Strathmorn, has returned from his travels abroad today (Saturday). He spent more than a year exploring the continent of Africa and has now returned to the family home. Accompanied by a native, Gunja, who he employed on his travels, Master McMorn intends to study the specimens of plants that he has brought back with him, to see if any are suitable to be grown in our climate.’

There was no information about when or even where he had landed. ”You might try Custom and Excise, at Custom House in London,” the librarian advised doubtfully. ”But if you don’t know the date he returned or which port he arrived at, it would be looking for a needle in a haystack.”

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:44 pm
by Joajackson
Philulhu wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:00 am The librarian looked at them for a long moment and scratched his head. ”Let me see…” he said. He walked off to consult some index cards behind the main desk, came back to read the journal, then headed off in the direction of the newspaper archive. He returned 15 minutes with a large ledger-style book, which opened to reveal some yellowing copies of the Inverness Courier. He carefully turned through the pages until he found the newspaper that matched the date of Alex McMorn’s return. A few days later, there was a short article about his return from Africa.

Explorer Returns!
Tuesday, 5 June 1810

Master Alexander McMorn, son of Gordon McMorn of McMorn Manor, Strathmorn, has returned from his travels abroad today (Saturday). He spent more than a year exploring the continent of Africa and has now returned to the family home. Accompanied by a native, Gunja, who he employed on his travels, Master McMorn intends to study the specimens of plants that he has brought back with him, to see if any are suitable to be grown in our climate.’

There was no information about when or even where he had landed. ”You might try Custom and Excise, at Custom House in London,” the librarian advised doubtfully. ”But if you don’t know the date he returned or which port he arrived at, it would be looking for a needle in a haystack.”
Sorry GM but I am confused, the newspaper is dated in a Tuesday, 5 of June, but the text says that he returned from his travels "today(Saturday)", so did he return the Saturday or Tuesday?

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:58 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Well," says Bonnie, "the article says he arrived on Saturday, presumably the Saturday before it was published. Since it was printed on Tuesday, 5 June 1810, the Saturday before would have been 2 June 1810. But I dinna ken which port he used."

Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:37 am
by Snapper

"Well, I'm not really interested in whether he brought home some African plants. And even if he brought some animals back, that was 120 years ago. And most of the time since then, the big house has been deserted. Surely some out of place big carnivore family, if there was one, would have been seen by the local villagers?"

"So I'm not sure any of that helps us. It might be interesting to Mr Price perhaps."

"Shall we head back and make some plans to scout this big old house out?"

Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:02 pm
by BoyBlunder78
"There is the small matter of Dr Mcbride and his interest in the family, which by possible coincidence seemed to happen around the time of the incident. I'm happy either way to go to the manor then the Dr or vice versa."

Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:37 pm
by Philulhu
Regarding the dates, it wasn’t uncommon (from things I’ve read) to see copy written in that way. It reflects that stories were often syndicated, with the local editor adding the day of the week (Saturday, in this case) that the event occurred, as time would have lapsed between the original publication date and the date it appeared in the local press.

For clarity, Alex McMorn arrived on Saturday 2 June and newspaper was published on 5 June. Don’t read too much into the dates, it’s just flavour text :)

Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:20 pm
by Joajackson
Snapper wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:37 am Image

"Well, I'm not really interested in whether he brought home some African plants. And even if he brought some animals back, that was 120 years ago. And most of the time since then, the big house has been deserted. Surely some out of place big carnivore family, if there was one, would have been seen by the local villagers?"

"So I'm not sure any of that helps us. It might be interesting to Mr Price perhaps."

"I do disagrree Sir Ascot, ze books talk of animal deaz, somezing has to have hunted zem. I say it was ze eater demon, a creature of ze souz of afrrica, yes. A stealz hunter, like ze panzer could have done so wizout being seen. And his descendants could explain ze continuation for so long, yes?"

Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:22 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Joajackson wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:20 pm

"I do disagrree Sir Ascot, ze books talk of animal deaz, somezing has to have hunted zem. I say it was ze eater demon, a creature of ze souz of afrrica, yes. A stealz hunter, like ze panzer could have done so wizout being seen. And his descendants could explain ze continuation for so long, yes?"

" I see what you mean Father but if that were the case then there would have been more animal killings in the past 120 years. The villagers would have been on high alert and any animal would have been spotted, and at least one killed and recorded."

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:07 am
by Joajackson
BoyBlunder78 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:22 pm
Joajackson wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:20 pm

" I see what you mean Father but if that were the case then there would have been more animal killings in the past 120 years. The villagers would have been on high alert and any animal would have been spotted, and at least one killed and recorded."

"But ze was! Ze diarry say so, in the 1810s. I asurre you sir Ascot that will be easy to find morre examples of ze days. And ze relaxation of ze villagerrs is ze easiest to explain. Ze eater demon, ze stealth hunters died. Lets imagine two panzer, zey have descendants, and ze descendants grow and die leaving another descendant. A small panzer, that could survive on smaller animals, ze foxes and ze birds. Now, ze hunter has become big and has the strenght of youth, and now kills ze man of ze village, and after that ze sheep."

After a moment of doubt the father continued.

"In any ozer case, ze must be ze carnivorous animal in ze mansion, dangerous."

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:29 am
by Snapper

Ascot nods agreeably. "Let's go and talk to Dr McBride first, and see what his interest in all this is. Assuming he is one of the two gentlemen we meet this morning, I am curious to know why he speaks with an English accent. It just seems odd."

"Then, if nothing comes of that, it will be time to unpack the hunting rifles and go explore the big old house. Perhaps scout it from afar to start with."

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:34 am
by Mr. Handy

"I suppose McMorn might have used the port at Inverness," says Bonnie, "but it's just as likely he used a port further south and came overland, though there were nae railroads in those days. But, aye, let's go see Dr. McBride next. I'm interested in why he was looking into these papers, and before there were any attacks."

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:51 am
by Philulhu
We’re moving back to Strathmorn - Strathmorn.

If there were any other questions, feel free to ask and we can always retcon that bit.