Page 1 of 1

Chatting at the Bar

Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:52 pm
by Philulhu
Hi everyone,

this is the thread for any out of context chat, discussion about the game, obituaries, etc. :D

You’ve been invited by the noted psychical researcher, Harry Price, to undertake an investigation into the unusual aspects of a murder in a Highland village in Scotland. Without giving too much away. You will assemble in London before travelling to Scotland, where you may undertake your investigation.

I know some of you have already found The Dhole’s House website for character generation (we also have one player using a Coptic priest from an earlier investigation). I don’t intend to be prescriptive about the characters you play. If you can think of a reason why they’re in London and why they responded to an adventure north of the border then it’s all good. Just send me a copy via Discord chat when it’s done.

I will add a Characters thread. You can transfer your skills over if you like, but it isn’t compulsory. What I’d like to see there is a brief description of your investigators and a character photo.

Any questions or queries, just ask. As soon as your characters are ready, we’ll make a start :)

Re: Chatting at the Bar

Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:37 pm
by danyw
Hey! I'm thinking either an asylum attendant, forensic surgeon, scientific researcher, or undertaker... forensic surgeon seems to fit best but I'll think on it for a bit 🤔

Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:34 pm
by Philulhu
No problem :)

Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:08 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Added a photo, kinda.....hope I've got it right.... :oops:

Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:51 pm
by Philulhu
BoyBlunder78 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:08 pm Added a photo, kinda.....hope I've got it right.... :oops:
It didn’t seem to like the fact it was a Google image but I saved it as one of mine and that worked.

Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:29 am
by danyw
what can we know about the murdered man?

Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:51 am
by Mr. Handy
I'll be joining too, and I have a character idea, but not enough time tonight. I should be able to build my character over the weekend.

Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:15 am
by Philulhu
danyw wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:29 am what can we know about the murdered man?
All in good time :)

Once you’ve got characters sorted, we’ll make a start but in the meantime, I’ll try to post an Introduction so you have a bit of a better idea of what lies in store.

Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:30 am
by Philulhu
Introduction posted: https://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/vi ... 493&t=7611

I’ve locked it for now and we can start once we have characters sorted.

Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:48 pm
by Joajackson
Just to see if understood correctly. This Harry Price is asking to go to the scottish village ourselves, without the presence of any of the institute he represents, to prove that there is no ghost on that house? Or is he asking us to interfere in a police investigation and find the scottish murderer? Because if he is asking us the second I have made the wrong character.

Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:54 pm
by Philulhu
The first one. They use volunteers who have no connection with the university college so their findings are independent.

And it isn’t to disprove it, per se. It’s to investigate and report on what they found.

Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:54 pm
by Joajackson
Just to see if understood correctly. This Harry Price is asking us to go to the scottish village ourselves, without the presence of any of the institute he represents, to prove that there is no ghost on that house? Or is he asking us to interfere in a police investigation and find the scottish murderer? Because if he is asking us the second I have made the wrong character.

Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:44 am
by Snapper
Managed to get into the Dholes House today, was pretty cool when accessible. I have created Hugo completely, just let me know when and where to put the sheet.

Hugo is an "outdoorsman", by the by.

Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:46 am
by Snapper
Also, hello players I haven't met before! I'm Snapper, looking forward to the game.

Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:43 pm
by Philulhu
Snapper wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:44 am Managed to get into the Dholes House today, was pretty cool when accessible. I have created Hugo completely, just let me know when and where to put the sheet.

Hugo is an "outdoorsman", by the by.
Are you on the Discord group? You could PM me there.

Alternatively, you could post the details here, as we’ve done for other games.

Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:30 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Snapper wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:46 am Also, hello players I haven't met before! I'm Snapper, looking forward to the game.
Hi there, looking forward to having my very first (of many) bouts of insanity with you all.

Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:31 am
by Snapper
Philulhu wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:43 pm
Are you on the Discord group? You could PM me there.

Alternatively, you could post the details here, as we’ve done for other games.
I've uploaded the pdf that the Dholes House created but might upload the character in normal fashion too. Not overly familiar with Discord but I probably should learn. 👍

Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:50 am
by BoyBlunder78
How do you download your characters completed stats sheet from Dholes House? Or is it easier to physically write it out and attach photo?

Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:55 am
by Philulhu
Snapper - Whatever works for you and you can access it, then that’s fine with me :)

BoyBlunder78 - There should be an option to download it from the Dhole’s House and you can send it my via Discord or edit your character post and upload it there.

We’re waiting for Mr Handy’s stats but it won’t hurt to make a start.

Just a note about the usual posting format here. The name of an investigator is usually in bold and use coloured text for speech i.e. “”Do you have any questions?” asked Price. If you tap. The colour icon above (the teardrop shape) you’ll see the colours fall into roughly five ‘blocks’ - my tip would be to choose a colour on one of the corners as they’re easy to find ;)

If you want to add any spoiler text or out of context chat, please use the spoiler button:

Just click the spoiler-button button then add your text between the brackets.

For clarity, this investigation may include body horror, occultism, impenetrable accents and occasional light relief. If you have any concerns about the content please let me know.

We have players from around the world and I will try to make sure everyone has had time to contribute before moving on but I will also try to keep the game ticking over. If you’re struggling to find time to post or you’re going to be away, just drop me a line.

Finally, it’s possible that you may decide for whatever reason that this game isn’t for you. It happens so if you decide that you’d rather not continue, that’s fine but please just let me know.

Ok. On with the show…

Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:32 am
by BoyBlunder78
Hopefully you should have it now.

Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:41 am
by Philulhu
Got it, thanks :)

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:56 pm
by Joajackson
Now I am not sure if to firm or not do so.
I was going to make the father do it as the last one to do it. But I was sleeping when the last character did so.
It's there a problem for the father to had firmed it? Or to stay in all of this the father needs to go to scotland by himself?

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:41 pm
by danyw
I am good with moving to the next scene, by the way 👍

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:04 pm
by Philulhu
Joajackson wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:56 pm Now I am not sure if to firm or not do so.
I was going to make the father do it as the last one to do it. But I was sleeping when the last character did so.
It's there a problem for the father to had firmed it? Or to stay in all of this the father needs to go to scotland by himself?
It’s entirely up to you. There is still time for the Father to sign the contract but if he doesn’t that doesn’t stop him from travelling to Scotland and taking part in investigations but he won’t be a formal part of the team.
danyw wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:41 pm I am good with moving to the next scene, by the way 👍
Thanks, Dany.

I’ll try to post the next scene later tonight if I can.

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:54 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Philulhu wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:51 pm
BoyBlunder78 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:08 pm Added a photo, kinda.....hope I've got it right.... :oops:
It didn’t seem to like the fact it was a Google image but I saved it as one of mine and that worked.
OK, cheers. How can I avoid that in the future?

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:37 pm
by Philulhu
I saved the image to my iPad and then uploaded to my postimage account: https://postimages.org/

You can then use Image button (9th from the left) to put in the image tags and then paste the direct link url of the image:

Try quoting this post and you’ll see how I posted the image above.

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:33 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Thank you.

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:20 pm
by danyw
Wait, I definitely thought the murderer was arrested. I'm going to look and if I'm wrong I'd really like to recant my reply because that's on me

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:22 pm
by danyw
"”As for the murderer, the suspect is under arrest so I do not think you are risk.”" ahh okay in The Appointment. So not the murderer themselves but a suspect

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:57 pm
by Philulhu
“… shepherd boy Jamie McLeod, is helping Police with their enquiries.”

‘Helping with enquiries’ generally means that the Police have someone they think may be responsible but have yet to find/manufacture (depending upon the time period) the evidence required to charge the suspect.

Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:28 am
by Philulhu
Just waiting from input from Dany and joajackson. Just let me know which thread you’re in - exploring the town in The Sneck or making enquiries with Inspector Sinclair in The Pollis.

Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:49 pm
by Joajackson
Philulhu wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:28 am Just waiting from input from Dany and joajackson. Just let me know which thread you’re in - exploring the town in The Sneck or making enquiries with Inspector Sinclair in The Pollis.

In the Pollis, I just don't have anything to say for now

Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:31 pm
by Philulhu
Ok, thanks.

Just a couple of things occurred to me if you hadn’t played before (or have moved over from the 6th edition rules to 7th). If you fail a roll, you have a couple of options. You can choose to spend Luck to make up the difference between your unsuccessful roll and your target e.g. you roll 42 against your Spot Hidden skill of 47 - you could spend 5 points of Luck to make that a successful roll instead.

Another option is to ‘push the roll’, where you re-roll a failed roll but you have a pre-agreed outcome (with the Keeper) if you roll a second time. For example, you fail a Stealth roll and you fail to sneak past a guard. If you pushed the roll and failed, not only did you fail to sneak past the guard but you also knocked over a vase, attracting the attention of everyone in a 50 yard radius.

If you have questions, just ask.

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:23 pm
by danyw
Hey y'all, a bunch of things just dropped in on my life all at once that suck pretty badly so I'm gonna respectfully drop out of this game so that everyone can continue without me. It was fun while I was a part of it, and thank you for letting me at least somewhat enjoy an introduction to CoC PbP. Enjoy the rest of the game!

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:40 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Hey, shame to see you go. Life can be shit at times. It's been fun playing with you short and sweet (unfortunately). Hope everything sorts itself out and your OK. Hopefully (fingers crossed) We get to play again sometime.

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:10 pm
by Philulhu
Hi Dany, sorry to see you go. If anything changes and you’ve got the time, just drop me a line and we can write you back in again.

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:23 am
by Mr. Handy
I'm sorry to see you leave too. I hope things get better for you.

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:33 am
by Snapper
On the map, how far away is Loch Ness from Strathmorn?

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:05 am
by Philulhu
About a mile or so. It’s 25 miles from Inverness.

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:11 am
by Snapper
Would the PCs have heard of Nessie? Or was she a more modern phenomenon? I have no idea.

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:14 pm
by Philulhu
Alleged sightings date back to the 6th century. There was one in the 19th century (technically two but the second wasn’t reported until the 1930s) but the main interest came in 1933: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loch_Ness ... kay_(1933)

As Aldie Mackay later said, there was an oral tradition of Loch Ness being home to some kind of ‘beast’. Chances are that locals would know about it but visitors probably wouldn’t.

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:29 am
by Snapper
She can be a happy discovery for the investigators! :D

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:55 am
by Philulhu
You never know… … ;)

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:35 am
by BoyBlunder78
Cthulu on water ski's pulled by Nessie.....

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:45 am
by Snapper
I forget about that 7th Ed pushing skills rule.

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:51 am
by Philulhu
It’s optional so some Keepers use it and some don’t.

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:46 am
by Snapper
👍

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:52 am
by Snapper
Philulhu wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:12 am If you’ve successfully passed a skill check, don’t forget to make a note somewhere. This is a one-shot but that’s how Servants of the Lake started and four years later… 😏

I'm a big fan of putting a red asterisk * after successfully used skills. Which is why I eventually posted the whole character to this forum. PDF not so user friendly.

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:06 am
by Philulhu
If you’ve just got a pdf of your player character then you could see if the website where you created it allows you to record the successful check.

Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:08 am
by Snapper
I'd suggest everyone give your Track skill a roll. You never know, even if it's default you can get lucky!! :D

(PS Failing which, I may see if the GM will let Ascot "push" his Track skill...)

Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:06 am
by Philulhu
Feel free to try, even if it’s a skill in which you don’t have many points (even 1%!)

If your first attempt fails you may try to ‘push’ the roll, but be aware that there may well be deleterious consequences if you fail a second time…

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:08 am
by Snapper
Just while the Inverness thread is locked, this might be a good point for some OOC discussion...

1. At the library, it might be worth having a look for relevant newspaper back-issue articles too. Ascot has had a fairly average education, growing up in the Rhodesian bush, and probably never got much past reading Enid Blyton. He definitely failed his roll the first time at the library.

2. On the drive back to Inverness, Ascot will explain the dead sheep trail, such as it was, was heading approximately towards the abandoned manor. No surprises but he didn't want to tell the farmer and local doctor that, as he didn't want them heading off that way and getting themselves killed by a wild something-or-other.

3. Ascot himself was planning on leaving the party swots at the library while he headed off to find a hardware store in Inverness where he could - hopefully - buy some binoculars.

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:49 am
by BoyBlunder78
Was hoping in the library to look up any history of the manor, and if there was any record of odd animal killings through the years, aswell as the old priests journals.

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:55 am
by Snapper
BoyBlunder78 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:49 am Was hoping in the library to look up any history of the manor, and if there was any record of odd animal killings through the years, aswell as the old priests journals.
Excellent plan! 👍

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:54 pm
by Snapper
Don't forget, the rest of us won't have read any spoilers directed to just one PC. If anyone has had some useful insights, your PC might be able to raise them now during the conversation with the good doctor?

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:39 am
by Snapper
I hope someone learns something from Dr McBride, because I feel like Ascot has discovered nothing.

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:14 am
by BoyBlunder78
Snapper wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:39 am I hope someone learns something from Dr McBride, because I feel like Ascot has discovered nothing.
Here's hoping for some Christmas magic with the dice rolls.

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:01 pm
by Philulhu
So what’s your theory? A wild animal brought back from Africa?

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:49 pm
by Snapper
Well, that's Ascot's theory but wild animals from Africa are essentially his wheel-house so his theory may be subconsciously biased.

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:09 pm
by Philulhu
Presumably Ascot’s a fully paid up member of the A Rhino Sank the Titanic society? 😉

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:51 pm
by Snapper
Hell yeah! Those #&$#*! aquatic rhinocerii are a a menace on the seas.

(Is that a thing, BTW, does someone believe that?)

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:39 pm
by Philulhu
Honestly, you wouldn’t believe what sort of wacko ideas some people believe in: A Rhino Sank the Titanic Society

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:05 am
by Snapper
I'm impressed! AGMs must be excellent.

Nothing surprises me anymore though. COVID revealed that even here in Australia, we have people like the Sovereign Citizens. Crackpot theories are more enticing than tough truths.

But just in case, I shall have an elephant gun in the front hallway for any rhinos I see stomping down my street.

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:33 am
by BoyBlunder78
Philulhu wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:39 pm Honestly, you wouldn’t believe what sort of wacko ideas some people believe in: A Rhino Sank the Titanic Society
I wanna read the society's charter. :lol:

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:43 am
by Philulhu
Free to all members. DM for membership rates - very reasonable :D

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:02 pm
by Joajackson
Forgive me, I am a little Lost. In which rooms we were until now? I understood we already looked trough the ground floor, but have we gone trough the first floor?

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:31 am
by Philulhu
As I understand it, the investigators headed up the left-hand (north-west) staircase as shown on the map below:

They have emerged from the staircase onto the first floor landing, where they found the bones. I’ll do a map once you’ve finished exploring this level but your investigator could assume with some certainty that this floor is very likely to be laid out like the ground floor below.

Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:02 am
by Snapper
Unbelievable! The one STR roll Ascot will probably ever make and he fails it!

Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:19 am
by Philulhu
A high skill as well! :o

Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:49 pm
by Snapper
Oh well.

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:29 pm
by Snapper
Are there still more floors to go up, or have we reached the uppermost?

Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:21 am
by Snapper
Aside from part of the second stairwell that we didn't go up or down, do we think there are rooms we didn't check? I feel like we pretty much covered the place.

Or are we thinking a very stealthy adversary has been creeping around the manor avoiding us as we explore?

Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:55 am
by BoyBlunder78
Possibly stealthy, I think in all the excitement of finding the bones, the body, the statue. We completely forgot about the other staircase and the foot prints and just assumed that we had found its lair. I can't even remember if we even mentioned the tracks :?

Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:31 am
by Snapper
All good. Unleash the searching!

:|

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:30 am
by BoyBlunder78
Party split!...er...are they pre-gens with this scenario?......asking for a friend...... :cry:

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:34 pm
by Snapper
I don't know that splitting the party immediately dooms our PCs. Especially in a play by forum setting, the party can often times accomplish more by dividing and hopefully conquering...

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:41 pm
by Philulhu
You’ll be fine… what could possibly go wrong…? :twisted:

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:44 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Sorry for the absence, I wasn't getting the notifications for this thread. I thought it had gone a bit quiet...... :oops:

Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:54 am
by Philulhu
No problem :)

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:21 am
by Snapper
This is literally the worst result possible. Unarmed bait for the monster.

The final tragedy is Ascot won't live long enough to gloat about being right.

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:13 am
by BoyBlunder78
You never know, inside maybe safer than out......... :cry:

Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:47 am
by Snapper
Team, to quote the great Maxwell Smart, "Sorry about that, Chief. Missed it by that much."

Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:42 am
by Mr. Handy
Now we're in terrible danger...and loving it!

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:33 am
by Snapper
Oh dear...

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:18 am
by BoyBlunder78
Yes.....oh dear indeed.......things may have just got interesting......

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:59 am
by Snapper
The Dice Gods giveth, and the Dice Gods taketh away.

Impressive roll though!

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:18 am
by BoyBlunder78
The dice gods don't like us to get too cosy......
Yes, I thought so too, didn't think I'd be that close.

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:27 am
by Philulhu
Close, but no bout of madness save, as the saying goes 😉

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:58 am
by BoyBlunder78
Phagophobia!! You've been sitting on that one for a while....lol

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:41 am
by Philulhu
Possibly…! 😏

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:01 pm
by Snapper
With a desire to stick to DEX order, I'll let the flatulent Father Shaban post his action first.

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:48 pm
by Philulhu
It isn’t mandatory. I can sort it out in the edit 😉

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:16 am
by Snapper
BoyBlunder78 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:11 pm
  Still crazy?  

That post made me laugh out loud. I have this mental image of a variation of the Beach Boys' "Still Cruisin'", in which they are singing "Still crazy after all this time..."

All too appropriate for that band too...

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:22 am
by Mr. Handy
Especially if you know about their connection to Charles Manson...

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:51 pm
by Snapper
Just googled that, did not know the story! Absolutely bizarre.

Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:43 am
by Snapper
Whoever ends up being subsequent spokesperson for Our Heroes, it really should not be old Ascot. Not exactly his skill set. :D

Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:53 am
by BoyBlunder78
And the good Doctor is a gibbering mess.... ;)

Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:58 am
by Snapper
The Doctor might still do a better job!

Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:04 am
by BoyBlunder78
Only able to communicate through telephone calls or written notes so as not to see anyone's face. He will travel around in a sedan chair and take walks wearing a shower curtain......

Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:11 am
by Snapper
I admit, his conversational skills may be a little bit hamstrung. Dates are going to be a challenge for the young doctor too.

Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:30 am
by BoyBlunder78
Nevermind the awkwardness of dealing with patients.......at least he's not a dentist......or vet.

Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:51 am
by Philulhu
If he were a vet, particularly a country vet, he’d be ok for 50% of the time, as they seem to spend that amount of their time with an arm up a cow’s arse… 😮

Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:22 am
by BoyBlunder78
True...swapping one dripping orifice for another...... :mrgreen:

Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:51 am
by Philulhu
And there’s a lovely mental image for a Sunday…😬

Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:26 pm
by Mr. Handy
Don't ask Bonnie to do the talking. She's not exactly a people person.

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:17 am
by Snapper
I'm still picturing cows with big sharp teeth at both ends. That never happened to James Herriot.

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:13 am
by BoyBlunder78
He never failed a roll........got a first in Miskatonic non euclidean veterinary practises. Yorkshire campus.

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:33 am
by Snapper
👍

Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 2:19 pm
by Snapper
He sees Freddy Krueger...

Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 4:53 pm
by BoyBlunder78
And his hands come out the mirror and grad his face.

Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:45 am
by Snapper
I have this nagging suspicion that every significant decision our PCs have made has been wrong...

Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:08 am
by BoyBlunder78
And the rolls have aided that.......

Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:55 pm
by Philulhu
Snapper wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:45 am I have this nagging suspicion that every significant decision our PCs have made has been wrong...
Not every one… … (just the important ones 😉)

Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:00 am
by BoyBlunder78
Well....where would the fun be if we got every choice right......

Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:06 am
by Philulhu
That’s true! 😏

Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:56 am
by Snapper
Not sure why we are debating this.

Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:52 am
by BoyBlunder78
No readon, just seemed something my character would question. No intention of dragging it out any longer. :D

Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:00 pm
by Snapper
Thank you GM, that was a most excellent game indeed!

Some very classic CoC themes were definitely happening:
- gradually building dread;
- classically unwelcoming, unhelpful, and occasionally untrustworthy locals;
- moments of great tension and / or panic.

And excellent team role-playing of course!

(And despite Ascot's best efforts, not a single shot fired in anger by the team, bullet-holed tree notwithstanding.)

Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:41 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Thank you GM and fellow investigators. This was my first time playing COC so thank you for making it an amazing experience and I (hopefully) look forward to many more.
Too many highlights to mention but a couple were:

When Beth got the Crit on the statue I gave an audible cheer........only to be brought down to earth when it was just a statue.
When McBride had us all back in the mansion as the creature was attacking and we were desperately trying to barricade the door and arm ourselves with anything we could. Loved the tension.
My first bout of madness!!!!

So thank you for letting me join your game, and hope my role-playing was ok.

Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:54 pm
by Philulhu
You’re welcome. Glad to hear you enjoyed it 🙂

It’s an old scenario (1980s, I think) so I did wonder how it would hold up but it worked well.

BoyBlunder - your roleplaying was definitely up to scratch so no worries on that score.

Snapper - sorry you didn’t get to shoot anything. Getting tooled up is a bit of Call of Cthulhu trope so it doesn’t hurt to subvert that from time-to-time 😉

I’ve got two or three scenarios under consideration for my next game (all in different time periods to this one) so keep an eye out as you’d all be welcome to join in. Some do have shooting in them and you might even get to keep your guns next time around…

Thanks for playing 😎

Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:07 am
by Snapper
I'm good! Classic Cthulhu to have all the guns and never shoot (or else traditionally encounter a Cthulhoid monstrosity that is basically bullied-proof). Fear not, Ascot will go shoot a few pheasants to relieve his gun mania.

Would love to play in any further game you have planned.

Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:43 am
by Mr. Handy
Yes, thank you, that was a great game! Getting that high-damage impale on the statue was still pretty cool. I'll be interested in whatever you run next too.
Snapper wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:07 am I'm good! Classic Cthulhu to have all the guns and never shoot (or else traditionally encounter a Cthulhoid monstrosity that is basically bullied-proof). Fear not, Ascot will go shoot a few pheasants to relieve his gun mania.

Would love to play in any further game you have planned.
It reminds me of the line by the Brigadier in the Doctor Who story Robot: "Just once, I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets!"

Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:32 am
by BoyBlunder78
"Five rounds rapid Sargent!".....the Brigadier orders...looking on hopefully.

Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:08 am
by Philulhu
The writers of Dr Who must have been big CoC fans! 😏

Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:49 pm
by Snapper
👍

Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:47 am
by Mr. Handy
And vice versa!

Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:21 am
by BoyBlunder78
Ditto.

Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:41 am
by Philulhu
Just a heads up, in case anyone is looking for another game: New game - you decide!

Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:54 pm
by Mr. Handy
Here is the correct link.

Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:08 am
by Philulhu
Thanks, Mr H! :oops: