The Sneck (Everyone)

A brutal murder has taken place in the small Highland village of Strathmorn. The accused claims that the ghosts from a local haunted manor are to blame!

Piqued by the alleged supernatural angle to the case, renowned Psychical Researcher, Harry Price, is seeking a team of responsible persons ‘of leisure and intelligence, intrepid, critical and unbiased’ to investigate the haunting.

Doesn’t that just sound like the sort of thing you’ve been looking for?

Moderator: Philulhu

danyw
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 1 year 8 months

Re: The Sneck (Everyone)

Post by danyw »

"I agree," Cait replied seriously. "Even if he did seem a bit out of sorts."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

“I sent him over to the Columba,” said the concierge when asked. “It’s about ten minutes walk, on the other side of the river.”
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Post by Snapper »

OOC:   Before all the PCs disappear, shall we / they have a quick discussion about the plan of attack for the morning?  
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

"Before everyone goes, shall we make a rough plan for the morning?" Ascot suggests, sipping his sherry with evident, polite satisfaction.

"I don't know anything about hunting ghosts but I do know a bit about hunting ferocious predators. Normally, I would start by getting to know the lay of the land, talking to locals familiar with the area, and looking for signs of the prey."

"So, I would suggest some of us talk to local experts. In this case, the Inspector Sinclair mentioned in the papers, and perhaps the local newspaper itself, both might be a good start. I'm not really a sociable type, so maybe someone else could follow that up?"

"I'm thinking our priest friend could talk to the local Presbyterian minister and Catholic priest, see what they think."

"For lay of the land, I believe, Miss MacKenzie, you have a car? Perhaps you, Miss Ward and I might take a spin to Strathmorn itself and make a preliminary survey?"

"Miss Ward, we should perhaps obtain permission from the local police before we enter the house where the murder occurred. We don't want to be accused of interfering with their official activities. And as I mentioned, I'd prefer to get some idea of the lay of the land before we commence the hunt."

"As we say in Africa, there are old hunters, and there are bold hunters, but there are no old, bold hunters."

"What does everyone think?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Aye, those are some good ideas," says Bonnie, getting excited. "I have a car - and what a car! Wait until you see! Actually I have more than one. I think we should also try to find out everything we can about the dead man. The more we know about him, the more it will guide us to his killer. Whether he was murdered by man or haint, there's a reason behind it. We need to find out who may have wanted him dead."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

The Station Hotel, Academy Street, Inverness
Wednesday 18 March 1931. 9.30pm

As Cait and Dr. Douglas discussed Father Ó Shaban, who should make an appearance but the old priest himself. Tired and hungry, footsore and damp from the rain that was falling outside, he cut a sorry sight as he made his way into the restaurant where everyone else sat amidst the remains of their meal.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Ascot sees the oddball priest return and quietly sighs.

"Ah, Father Shaban, we are just making plans. My thought was you could go talk to the local Presbyterian and Catholic clergy here tomorrow. See what their views are on supernatural murders. You being the most qualified of us to talk shop with them."
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Dr Douglas stands and greets the priest. "Ah father we were just talking about you" I stand to offer him my seat.""In my experience in order to get a good idea of local comings and goings you cant cant get much better than hotel staff."
OOC:   Is the hotel bar open?  
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Yes the bar is open. At least, the concierge brought you all a sherry so it’s safe to say that drinks are available for guests.
Joajackson
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Joajackson »

BoyBlunder78 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:19 pm Dr Douglas stands and greets the priest. "Ah father we were just talking about you" I stand to offer him my seat.""In my experience in order to get a good idea of local comings and goings you cant cant get much better than hotel staff."
OOC:   Is the hotel bar open?  
Father Ó Shaban was clearly in not a perfect condition, and he thanked the seat offer. Seating there immediately to rest for now.

"Sir Ascot, while it could be done so. Forgiveness, but we arre currently in Iverness, not in Strazmorn. Ze murrder of a man in a rural village I believe, is not of ze rrelevance for ze Presbyterian Bishop of Moray, nor ze Dean of Iverness. In Strazmorn I shall met with ze men of ze cloth, but not in Iverness."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Anyone else have any thoughts about where to go in the morning?
danyw
Layman
Layman

Post by danyw »

I'd like to add something but I'll have to post it in a few hours when I get home.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

No problem. Just trying to keep the game ticking over :)
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

I was going to chat to the barman, see what the word about is about the murder. Maybe we should meet with Inspector Sinclair as soon as possible.
danyw
Layman
Layman

Post by danyw »

Cait frowned, twisting her mouth to the side. "I suppose that yes, we ought to contact the police force. I only assumed the home would be fully abandoned now that the murderer is locked away. Hopefully they don't try to interfere once they know we're planning to investigate the home." At Mr. Ascot's other suggestion, she adds, "But I would be glad to travel with the two of you," referring to Mr. Ascot and Miss MacKenzie, "while the others remain here and speak with the Inspector and that boy the paper mentioned. But then, Father, perhaps you should go with the two of them instead, or even just Miss MacKenzie while the rest of us cover Iverness."

I don't actually intend to split the party, but this is Cait's idea for now. Also, how do you get the spoiler button to say OOC? Without actually clicking the OOC button whose colors I hate
Joajackson
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Joajackson »

danyw wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:24 am Cait frowned, twisting her mouth to the side. "I suppose that yes, we ought to contact the police force. I only assumed the home would be fully abandoned now that the murderer is locked away. Hopefully they don't try to interfere once they know we're planning to investigate the home." At Mr. Ascot's other suggestion, she adds, "But I would be glad to travel with the two of you," referring to Mr. Ascot and Miss MacKenzie, "while the others remain here and speak with the Inspector and that boy the paper mentioned. But then, Father, perhaps you should go with the two of them instead, or even just Miss MacKenzie while the rest of us cover Iverness."

I don't actually intend to split the party, but this is Cait's idea for now. Also, how do you get the spoiler button to say OOC? Without actually clicking the OOC button whose colors I hate
Father Ó Shaban was drying up his bones and touching his great beard, as he was thinking of the words of Miss Cait Ward. At the end he answered, quite the charming and friendly smiling old priest.

"Miss Ward, forrgiveness, I shall refuse. I am herre to have fun, wiz all ze talk of zis spirits and ghosz, ze sincerity being relevant to all. I have no desirree forr us to run, when we can walk. And, ze investigations of zese Iverrness I expect to be to my liking. Also tomorrow is the Feast of ze Cross, and I prefer to brray in a church in a town, and not a small village."

This way, just copy and paste from a quote.
And just saying, I have actually looked up Coptic religious celebrations and will try to follow them with this character, they are stupidly complicated so I have no idea if I will do it correctly in any way..
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I agree, we should definitely talk to the police first and find out what they know," says Bonnie. "Maybe we should stick together in Inverness and pursue all the avenues of investigation here before we all go to Strathmorn together."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Dany - just add =OOC or =Keeper between Spoiler-Button and the square bracket ] As joajackson said, if you quote a previous post then you can see how it works.

Joajackson - you get as Coptic as you want! Always happy to see a player really get into their character :)

Father Ó Shaban is just recruiting some help so we’ll get onto the pollis as soon as he’s sorted…
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Ascot shrugs amiably. "Miss Ward, I may have missed something but I don't think the shepherd boy has even been charged, let alone had a trial and been found guilty, so I'm not sure we can say the murderer is safely locked away."

"I would suggest we try to not annoy the local police if we want to get anything done here."

"And if everyone wants to stay here in Inverness tomorrow, I have no problem with that. Father, you're the expert, if you'd rather wait to talk to a minister or priest in Strathmorn, if there are such, please do."
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Dr Douglas walks over to the concierge to order another drink. "Hello my good man, could i possibly bother you fer a wee dram of whisky? I must say its a terrible business about the death of that poor boy. Do ya ken much about it?

Return to “The Horror on the Glen”