IC-Ep 1-Surprise Guest(Everyone else)

Story, Elizabeth, and Brook arrive in Auvergne, France in 1517, where they meet some interesting people, including none other than Leonardo da Vinci. There are mysterious goings-on, one involving Leonardo's automaton, which appears to have killed a would-be thief.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: IC-Ep 1-Surprise Guest(Everyone else)

Post by Mr. Handy »

Brook soon found the secret passage entrance, now that she knew for what she was looking. The hidden catch was actually behind the wardrobe, and the panel beside it opened to reveal the hidden passage when she flipped it.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

“Hey, look what I’ve found!” hisses Brook. “This time I’m not going to go blundering in.”

Instead, she checks around the aperture for footprints and other clues.
Borderline
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 3 months

Post by Borderline »

Ignoring the excitement around him Jean Luc stays calmly attentive to the angered man. "I have not called you a liar so please don't put words in my mouth. I humbly asked for an introduction Sir Jacques du Baudin, or Chevalier but if that is what you prefer be called that I shall call you. But a liar, no. Is it not true that by your own testimony the only thing you know the young man to be guilty of is being in the wrong place at the wrong time?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

There was a layer of dust in the passage near the entrance, which suggested that nobody had used it recently.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Post by Snapper »

Jacques:

Jacques groans. "Another one who likes to talk a lot. Wonderful." At the moment, he seems to be completely ignoring everyone but Jean-Luc

"No, in fact, it is not true that L'Argot's only crime was being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Being in these apartments at all in the middle of the night was anything but innocent. Being here and helping yourself to a gem in the temporary possession of a dead thief?"

"But that is all beside the point. The only issue that matters right now is this. You just said I made a 'false accusation'. I repeat, my report to the Duc was completely factual. Once again, I invite you to withdraw your statement or clarify it."

"I cannot otherwise allow an allegation of dishonesty by me to go unchallenged. Please consider your response carefully."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Frustrated at her inability to find clues, Brook closes the secret door and marches over to the arguing men.

“Will you two shut up?” she yells, barging in between them.

“A man has died in suspicious circumstances and we’re trying to work out how, why and who! We can’t do that with you two busy alpha-males dick waving at each other!”
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Jacques:

Jacques actually appears quite calm and has not raised his voice. He has just gone very humorless and icy. His eyes never leave Jean Luc's.

"Miss Brook, I'm afraid this is a matter between me and this fellow now. The cause of the thief's death is of no great concern to me and I do not know why it is of any great concern to you. Were the thief caught alive, there is a good chance he would have been hanged from a tree by now on the Duc's orders."

"What does concern me is my honour. Perhaps Narnia is different. Here in France, a knight who is found to have lied would be disgraced. He would lose all his position, titles, and possessions. He would be disowned by the Church. He would never be able to speak to friends or family again. He would never be able to marry. His life would become very cheap indeed."

"So, however much I dislike the practice of duelling, I am forced to seek an explanation from this fellow or consider that option."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

“Well take it outside at least,” Brook harrumphs. “We get to investigate a murder mystery with the actual Leonardo da Vinci and you two are spoiling it: squabbling like...”

She waves a hand in a vague motion.

“…two people who are squabbling,” she finishes lamely, before rallying.

“We’ve need to do an autopsy, study a jewel, figure out how someone sneaked into here to operate my robot pal and also stop a play which apparently drives people nuts. So go off and satisfy your honour somewhere else… please.”
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

Elizabeth stifles a laugh behind her hand and then has an idea.
“We don’t often duel in Narnia but there is often cause for competition to settle an argument. You could both assist M. da Vinci with his autopsy; the winner being the most useful and, er, boldest assistant.”
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Jacques:

"No, thank you. I simply require a response from M. de Monet. Nothing more."
Borderline
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Borderline »

Jean Luc staying focused on the imposing man, becoming slightly more animated tho not angry-"How many times must I repeat myself? I'm not accusing you of lying! If I were to accuse you it would be of lacking imagination and a fundamental understanding of language. Solve a mystery indeed let's work on basic comprehension first shall we? I will not be bullied or cowar to a man on account of words I did not speak. Surely you're not so dense to understand this- two things can be true simultaneously. You saw what you saw, fine but there is more to the story!"
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Jacques:

Jacques snorts. "You, M. De Monet, need to choose your words more wisely. Claiming false accusation is a very serious matter. And I still wonder why you saw fit to vouch for that man. But as I said, I do not approve of needless dueling."

"Master Da Vinci, I believe I have overstayed my welcome. Ladies, good luck determining why the thief died. I would not trust this fellow overly," he indicates Monet

With a curt nod, primarily to the famed master, the still clearly unpleased Jacques departs.

Spoiler:
Jacques will head for the stables.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

“Oh dear.” Elizabeth exclaims. “The Chevalier claims to dislike duelling but he seems to find any excuse for it. He must be a very good swordsman to have survived this far.
“Now, M. Monet. You seem to know something of this case. Would you be happy to enlighten us? We are helping M Da Vinci of course.” She smiles encouragingly.
Borderline
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Borderline »

"Know something? Oh goodness no. As I said I only had a hunch at goings on behind the scenes. But I can promise to be more deductive than that brute, and I'm sorry you had to witness that. Now, shall we?" He gives an overly polite bow and extended open hand as if to jester 'ladies first'.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

“Where are we going?” Brook asks, relieved that the alpha-male nonsense has ended. “Autopsy?”
Borderline
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Borderline »

"A smashing idea! With master DaVinci's well, masterful understanding of anatomy we'll be sure to know if a single hair is out of place. Perhaps we return and investigate the Secret passage when activities have died down and we may go about our business unperturbed."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, I shall examine the dead man," said Leonardo. "You are all welcome to attend, if you wish."

Once I know where Elizabeth plans to go (Story's player hasn't yet returned, so I'll run her as an NPC for now), I'll split the thread.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

“Before we go; would it be sensible to examine the jewel, M. Da Vinci? We three have some experience in old artifacts and might be able to shed some light on the who and the why of the theft.”
Elizabeth says.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

“Yeah, good call,” Brook concurs. “Beats watching corpses being cut up.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Of course," said Leonardo, taking the puzzle box out of a large pocket of his outer garment. His hands worked over it too quickly to see, and within seconds he had it open. He pulled out a small, dull green crystal that fit in the palm of his hand. It was long and symmetrical, with pointed ends. "It used to glow faintly, with enough light by which to read. I have used it for that purpose before."

Elizabeth, you may roll Cthulhu Mythos. Everyone, including Elizabeth, may roll Occult.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Episode 1”