IC-Ep 1-Good Knight(Jacques du Baudin only)

Story, Elizabeth, and Brook arrive in Auvergne, France in 1517, where they meet some interesting people, including none other than Leonardo da Vinci. There are mysterious goings-on, one involving Leonardo's automaton, which appears to have killed a would-be thief.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: IC-Ep 1-Good Knight(Jacques du Baudin only)

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Oh, yes, I've run into them sometimes," said Abdullah. "They want to get their hands on my valuable cargo, and also to enslave my crew. But my ship is faster than theirs. I made sure of that. What of your campaigns? I'm sure you have some interesting stories."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Post by Snapper »

Jacques:

Jacques shakes his head modestly, looking slightly embarrassed. "Nothing very impressive, I assure you. For the last several years I've spent some months of each year aboard ships chasing those same Barbary pirates, and the rest of the time garrisoning Rhodes to ensure it's not invaded."

"I'm enjoying a change from eating Greek food, fish, or ship's rations. On which count, I am most grateful to be a guest of the Duc."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"As am I," said Abdullah. "I've had French food before, whenever I've docked in Marseilles or another French port, but never anything so sumptuous as the Duc provides. Even the bread is a feast for the palate. One does get sick of fish after too much of it."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Spoiler:
Apologies if this has been covered before, but what is the purpose of the gathering at the Duc's palace?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

He's throwing a party for no particular reason known to you, just that he has money to spend on a lavish celebration with prominent guests. The guests have come for their own reasons.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Jacques:

Jacques smiles at the thought of such good food. "It is something we French do take seriously, our food. But was it fine food alone that tempted you, a sailor, so far inland? That and the chance to meet the most the most radiant of Venetians, of course." Jacques gestures towards Bianca at this.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Ah, that alone would be reason enough to come," said Abdullah, bowing again to Bianca. "And what brings you to these festivities?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Jacques:

"I'm traveling from Rhodes to Paris, and simply happened to be passing through as good fortune would have it. The Duc most generously asked me to stay for the festivities."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"And yourself, lovely lady?" Abdullah asked Bianca.

"This is the social event of the year," she replied. "I came here to meet people worth meeting, and I have clearly done so already."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Jacques:

Jacques looks suitably modestly embarrassed as ever. "Well, I'm sure Captain al-Rashid meets that description, anyway."

"But it would be bad manners not to introduce myself to the other guest here." Jacques adds very quietly, "Do not feel under any obligation to join me though."

With a stoic expression, Jacques heads over to the Inquisitor. "Brother Inquisitor, Chevalier Jacques du Baudin, Order of the Knights Hospitaller, at your service."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Bianca and Abdullah were quickly in deep conversation with each other, and they hardly noticed that Jacques had left.

"It is actually Father, Chevalier," said Ignacio Fernandez, studying Jacques intently with a piercing stare with eyes black as pitch. "I am a priest as well as an Inquisitor. It is good to meet you."

Jacques, please roll Status.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Jacques:

1d%60%

"Ah, Father, I do beg your pardon. I've been away from civilisation too long, my manners are deserting me."

"Have you travelled far, Father?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Not as far as some," said the inquisitor. "I came from Spain, took ship to Marseilles, and then rode here to Vyones. And from where do you hail, Chevalier?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Jacques:

"Oh well," as ever, Jacques looks embarrassed talking about himself. He waives a hand to suggest his life history is very trivial. "I was raised in the country, here in France, but I've spent many years campaigning and the like. The last several years, I've been on Rhodes, having joined the Hospitallers. We hold back the Turk and we chase Barbary pirates."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"And an excellent job you do at keeping the infidels at bay," said Ignacio. "In Spain we have only driven out the last of them 25 years ago. Still, there is plenty of work for the Inquisition. Heresy is more rampant than you might think."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Jacques:

"Heresy? Father, you astound me. I had no idea such still existed in civilised countries. Not counting the Turks and their like, I have certainly met plenty of men in Christendom who were far from good Christians, which will not surprise you I'm sure."

"But heresy? That is something else again."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I too was surprised at just how much there is," said Ignacio. "Heresy lurks beneath the surface, it is subtle. At least an infidel is honest about his leanings. The Knights Hospitaller is a faithful order, but surely you have heard of the Knights Templar? Over two centuries ago, they were exposed as heretics. They were executed, and their order abolished. Even a well-respected order of knights can be corrupted. We must always be on our guard."

Jacques, please roll History.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Jacques:

1d%H20%

OOC:   Unexpected success.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

While Jacques had not formally studied history, he had learned all about the various knightly orders of the past and present. The Knights Templar had been founded in Jerusalem during the Crusades by Hugues de Payens in 1120. It started with only nine knights, though it had since grown. The order had been a rival of his own Knights Hospitaller. Pope Clement V had in 1305 tried to merge the two orders, though both of their leaders had demurred. Nevertheless, the Pope had persisted, inviting both Grand Masters to Avignon in 1306 for discussions. Grand Master Fulk de Villaret of the Knights Hospitaller had been delayed, but Grand Master Jacques de Molay arrived in 1307. The Pope had brought up criminal charges from an ex-Templar which were most likely false but were under discussion by King Philip IV and his ministers. The King was deep in debt to the Templars due to war with England, which may have motivated him in pursuing the charges. On October 13, 1307, he simultaneously had de Molay and numerous other Templars arrested. They were accused of numerous heretical and criminal acts, and they were forced to confess under torture. Specifically, they were accused of worshiping an idol called Baphomet, spitting on the cross, denying Christ, and various other abominable things. On November 22, Pope Clement gave the order that all Templars be arrested and their assets seized, and he ordered papal hearings to be held. Many Templars, including de Molay, recanted their confessions. However, King Philip made sure that they were burned at the stake in Paris on March 18, 1314. Pope Clement relented to King Philip's demand that he disband the order.

With that amazing success, you can assume that you know everything here or in your own knowledge and research that would have been known in 1517.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Jacques:

Jacques nods. "Yes, I have read of the Templars in our records, and heard the stories of course. But that was 200 years ago. The world was rougher and still filled with pagans then."

"I am no doubt a complete innocent on this topic but I had assumed, in this more advanced age we inhabit, heresy was no longer to be found within the borders of Christendom. From what you say though, I gather your experience has been otherwise, Father?"
Last edited by Snapper on Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Episode 1”