IC-Ep 1-Caught in the Act(Everyone)

Story, Elizabeth, and Brook arrive in Auvergne, France in 1517, where they meet some interesting people, including none other than Leonardo da Vinci. There are mysterious goings-on, one involving Leonardo's automaton, which appears to have killed a would-be thief.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

IC-Ep 1-Caught in the Act(Everyone)

Post by Mr. Handy »

Duc's Palace, Workshop - Vyones, Auvergne, France
11:05 PM - Sunday, April 19, 1517

Gui glanced up in shock from where he knelt over the body, the crystal in one hand and the puzzle box in the other. The hurled dagger that had slashed his left shoulder lay on the floor nearby. The man standing in the open doorway that led back to the corridor who had apparently thrown it now seemed to be unarmed, but he looked like he was quite capable of finishing him off even without a weapon to hand. He registered the teenage girl's emergence from the blue box, but she did not look like a threat.

Jacques stood in the doorway. The man he had wounded was still conscious, but he was hurt rather badly. The girl who had come out of the box only served to make things more confusing.

Brook stepped out of the TARDIS into the chaos of the workshop, taking in the scene, including the dead man.

In the TARDIS console room, Story and Elizabeth could see what was going on through the open doors, though they couldn't see much of the room from there. Into what had Brook just stumbled?

It is currently Gui's turn to act. Brook, please roll Sanity for seeing the corpse. Sanity loss is 0/1D3, so you'll lose no Sanity if you succeed or 1D3 if you fail. Elizabeth and Story will also need to roll if they exit the TARDIS, but they can't see the body from the console room. Jacques does not need to roll for seeing the body, being a seasoned warrior. Gui already rolled.

After Gui's action, then Brook and Story act at around the same time, followed by Elizabeth.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Re: IC-Ep 1-Caught in the Act(Everyone)

Post by Philulhu »

Gui swore and rolled out of the way, an involuntary groan of pain escaping through gritted teeth. He scurried around behind the blue box so the man in the doorway couldn’t target him again.

He glanced around - the only viable exit was the door to the bedroom or the door back into the hallway, and his assailant was blocking that. He pulled out his own dagger as he peaked around the corner of box. ”It was not me, Monsieur!” he called. “I heard him cry out and came to render aid!”
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

[2] = 2
SAN 87 d%: [ 2 ] = 2

Sadly, Brook has seen more than her fair share of death, or perhaps the strangeness of her surroundings is enough to occupy her attention.

Skidding to a halt, she lets out a surprised yelp.

“Woah! This isn’t Carneby Street! Story, Liz, you’d better get out here!”

As if noticing the two men for the first time, she grins nervously at each of them in turn, trying to place their archaic clothing.

[10] = 10
History 29 d%: [ 10 ] = 10
Hard success!
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Post by Snapper »

Jacques:

"Verminous dog! You murdered this old gentleman and I caught you stealing jewels from his body. Surrender and I shall have you before the Duc. Or if you do not surrender, I shall break your bones."

Jacques looks to Brook. "Miss, keep away from this murderous rogue. He is dangerous. Ah... Bad. Man. Well, boy really." He realises the young lady may be a foreigner therefore starts using short words and speaking loudly, as always helps with foreign types.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”You do me a great disservice, Monsieur!” cried Gui around the corner of the box. “Your words cut me almost as deep as the blade of your dagger that you impudently threw in my direction, without even ascertaining the facts of the situation!”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Since we're now out of combat, everyone may act normally. If Story and Elizabeth come out, they may also roll History.

The wounded man was dressed in black clothing of a cheap but functional sort, as was the dead man. The man who had thrown the dagger was in more elegant clothing. From the style, and from her surroundings, Brook deduced that this was the early Renaissance, most likely the early 16th century. There was something familiar about the contents of the workshop, too. The style of the painting and some of the strange devices in it reminded her of Leonardo da Vinci.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Jacques:

Jacques has a good parade ground roar. "Villainous son is an unwed pig! Spare me your lies. What would a good Christian be doing, skulking around in the old gentleman's apartments in the wee hours of the night? How did you even get into the palace? Walked up a wall by accident and fell through a window?"

Turning back to address Brook again, Jacques adds slowly and loudly, "Miss, Bad Man has Sharp Knife, very bad, stay back." Helpfully, he mimes over-hand stabbing motions and points at the other chap.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Gui had to admit that it didn’t look good but he wasn’t about to concede that to the pompous ass shouting his mouth off. He glanced around the corner of the box as the man was miming a stabbing action.

”Beware, Mademoiselle!” he cried. “The son of a syphilitic donkey means to kill you! Do not trust him - he means you harm!”
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Brook steps back, alarmed.

“Definitely not Carneby Street! Everyone just chill okay? Let’s just discuss this like adults and stop waving sharp things around, yeah?”
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Can the Frenchies understand what she is saying?
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Spoiler:
Time Lords share with their companions the ability to speak any language.
It's a telepathic Gallifreyan thing. Basically, they are speaking flawless French. (Don't question it.) (Assuming Mr H is going canon Dr Who.)
Last edited by Snapper on Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Jacques:

Jacques is relieved the foreign girl speaks French, sort of. He stops speaking as though to a stupid child.

"Actually, Miss, I'm unarmed. As opposed to the murderous thief over there. I would be most grateful if you could get behind me so I can protect you, which I assure you I can do even unarmed. With my body if necessary."

Jacques turns back to Gui. "Unpleasant offspring of a diseased black rat, do you intend to surrender to be brought before the Duc?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

The door at the rear of the workshop opened, behind which stood an old man in nightclothes with white hair and a beard to match. In his left hand he held a lit candle in a holder, and with his right he picked up a loaded crossbow that he had leaned against the wall beside the door in order to free his hand and open it. "What is the meaning of this?" he demanded.

Brook recognized the man from descriptions and pictures she had seen. This was Leonardo da Vinci!
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

I guessed that would be the case but didn’t want to presume anything.

”Armed?! I am not armed!” blustered Gui indignantly, desperately trying to hide his dagger and blackjack about his person. “I merely employ my ready charm and my quick wits, which is why I have the better of you, you camel’s behind!”

Gui was just congratulating himself on his repartee when he spotted the old man with the crossbow. He smiled at him weakly, ”Oh, err, bonjour, Monsieur…”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Bonjour?" said the man. "Does it look like daytime to you? What are all of you doing in my workshop? I am Leonardo da Vinci. And who are you, monsieur?"

Yes, it's a telepathic gift to those who travel in the TARDIS. They hear everything in their native languages, and those who hear them hear them in their own languages. It was actually explained in The Masque of Mandragora.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Brook’s jaw drops open.

“Oh my god… it-it’s you! Leonardo da Vinci!”

She turns back to the TARDIS.

“Hey! Get out here! You’ll never guess who’s here!”
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”I am Gui l’Argot, gentleman th… err, gentleman around town,” replied Gui, with a hurried bow. “As I was attempting to explain to the slack-witted buffoon by the door, I heard a cry of distress and being a kindly Samaritan, I came to the aid of the poor unfortunate that you see before you. Indeed, such is the witlessness of the gentleman over there that he violently assaulted me as I was in the process of giving succour so that this poor fellow might ascend to the heavens to atone for his sins and sit at God’s right hand…”

He glared at his assailant for good measure.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Gui, please roll Fast Talk.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

“Well it certainly doesn’t look like 1960s London. I hope Brook is alright.”
Elizabeth leaves Story and walks to the door to stand next to Brook.
“Oh my word, Renaissance France, incredible!” She whispers to Brook.
History 73 roll:46
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

The wounded man was dressed in black clothing of a cheap but functional sort, as was the dead man. The other man was in more elegant clothing. And of course she knew about Leonardo da Vinci. Elizabeth realized that this was the Renaissance, most likely the early 16th century given Leonardo's advanced age.

Don't forget the Sanity roll for seeing the corpse. Sanity loss is 0/1D3.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Episode 1”