IC-Ep 1-Time Is an Illusion, Lunchtime Doubly So(Everyone)

Story, Elizabeth, and Brook arrive in Auvergne, France in 1517, where they meet some interesting people, including none other than Leonardo da Vinci. There are mysterious goings-on, one involving Leonardo's automaton, which appears to have killed a would-be thief.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Re: IC-Ep 1-Time Is an Illusion, Lunchtime Doubly So(Everyone)

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I am a guest," said Lady Amelie. "I am here with my father and mother, the Comte and Comtess d'Erlette." She glanced at the man and woman on either side of her. The man was in his forties, stout and bearded, and the woman looked much like her daughter, but in her thirties. Both had blonde hair like her.

"Ah, Senorita Elizabeth," said Diego, smiling back, "I was born in Almeida, in Portugal, but I live now in Salamanca. It is a wondrous and large city. There is an excellent university there, where I was educated. And whence do you hail, fair lady?"

That's okay, I didn't really describe just how long the table is anyway.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Post by Snapper »

Jacques:

Mr. Handy wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:05 am "Indeed, it is," said Father Ignacio, "and a most humble place too. Magnificent cathedrals can be beautiful, too, but there is something to be said for its simplicity."

Jacques nods at this. "I had not really thought about it before but you are right, Father. The shrine's simplicity is indeed beautiful. And most restful to the soul. We are surrounded by great beauty at the Duc's chateaux."

Pausing and looking slightly embarrassed, Jacques looks over at Abdullah.

"Captain al-Rashid, have you had a pleasant morning as well?"
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 9 months

Post by aine »

To Diego Elizabeth replies,
“I’m from Caer Paraval in Narnia, which is far, far away. But that’s fabulous to have a university; have you studied there? I love history myself.”
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 9 months

Post by jp1885 »

Brook smiles in greeting at Amelie’s parents, before focusing on their daughter.

“Are you all friends of the Duc? Forgive my questions: we haven’t been here long and I don’t know many people near my own age; I’m just being curious. I love your dress by the way.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Very much so, Chevalier," said Abdullah, between bites of his roast beef. "The food here is a refreshing change from what I'm used to at sea."

"I see we have much in common," Diego replied to Elizabeth. "I am also fascinated by history, and I have studied it at the University of Salamanca, among other subjects. I am particularly interested in Roman times."

"Thank you," said Amelie to Brook. "Yours is very pretty as well. I'm glad to meet someone close to my age too. I'm sure we'll be fast friends!"

"The Duc and I have been friends for years," said the Comte d'Erlette. "The rest of my family does not know him that well, but he invited me to bring them too. My son has other obligations, but I have brought my wife and daughter."

"Perhaps we will find a suitable match for Amelie here," said the Comtesse.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Jacques:

Mr. Handy wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:45 pm "Very much so, Chevalier," said Abdullah, between bites of his roast beef. "The food here is a refreshing change from what I'm used to at sea."

Jacques laughs easily. "I understand completely, Captain, I've spent far too much time eating fish and salt rations aboard ships while chasing Barbary pirates."

Mr. Handy wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:45 pm "The rest of my family does not know him that well, but he invited me to bring them too. My son has other obligations, but I have brought my wife and daughter."

"Perhaps we will find a suitable match for Amelie here," said the Comtesse.

Jacques catches the end of that conversation. For a moment, he turns to look at L'Argot and all trace of humour disappears. Jacques puts down his knife, holds up his sword hand, flexes it a few times, and shakes his head slightly at L'Argot. Then he turns his attention back to the good Captain, smiling again.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Philulhu »

Torn from his introspection by the mention of a potential suitor for Amelie, Gui looked up in time to catch Jacques’ eye.

He raised a sardonic eyebrow, smoothed his hair over his shoulders and leant forward to get a better look at the young lady.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Amelie was a pretty girl about fifteen years old and a little less than five feet tall. She wore an expensive-looking silk dress.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Elizabeth smiles at Diego, “Oh, have you ever been to the Roman Theatre in Vaucluse, south of here? I’ve heard it is quite impressive.”

Elizabeth raises her fan and talks in a quiet voice,
“Are you interested in the play that the Duc is putting on? I think it might be old too; would it be Roman do you know?”
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Gui smiled charmingly at Amelie, whilst inwardly wondering why she was yet married some three years after it would have been legal to do so…

12?! For marriage laws in France at the time: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriageable_age
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Jacques:

Jacques sees L'Argot smiling at the young lady. He pauses to finish a bite of pork. He takes a deep breath and exhales calmly before looking directly at the fellow.

In a conversational tone but loud enough all could hear, Jacques says, "L'Argot, a daughter of the nobility is not going to be remotely interested in a poverty struck nobody like you. Also, you are far too old for the young lady. And I am no expert on the subject but I believe you are also too ugly."

"So, in the interests of not ruining appetites around the table, do stop smiling at the young lady."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I have not been there," said Diego, "but I will make it a point to see it while I am in France. I am intrigued by the play and look forward to seeing it, but I have not heard of it before, so I do not know if it is Roman in origin. Perhaps we can ask the players when the troupe arrives."

"Thank you, Chevalier," said the Comte. "You put it better than I could have myself."

"We are only looking for potential suitors of noble birth," added the Comtesse.

Story, Elizabeth, and Brook may roll History to see what they know about the Comte d'Erlette's family. Everyone else may roll Know.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Jacques:

1d%95%
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Gui’s jaw tightened as he glared at Jacques. Through gritted teeth, he snapped, ”Once again your own base intentions and limited intellect compel you to speak before that thing you think of as a brain has had chance to consider the folly of your interjections! I merely smiled at the young lady in order to be friendly. It is clear to all that she is young and has just entered marriageable age. Were I to seek a bride, she would be closer to my own age. Were you seek a bride, it would most likely have four legs and bark at passing carriages!”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Gentle guests, please do not fight!" said the Duc. "This is meant to be a joyous occasion!"

Jacques knew that the Comte d'Erlette and his family hailed from Montmorency-les-Roches, not far from Paris. There were rumors that there was some sort of curse upon his family, though the details were sketchy. This could explain why a husband for Lady Amelie had not yet been found.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Gui took a deep breath and looked at the Duc. ”Please accept my apologies, your Grace, but the Chevalier - a word he delivered with withering scorn that clearly demonstrated his contempt for Jacques - “persists in disparaging me at every opportunity.”

He sat up straighter. Monsieur de Monet has vouched for me and yet this…” - he flicked a dismissive hand in Jacques’ direction - ”…continues!”
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Elizabeth interjects to diffuse the rising tension,
“Your Grace, may we hear something about the play. Where did Your Grace hear about it?”
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Jacques:

Jacques politely nods to the Duc. He smiles and says, "The irony is, I think dogs in fact are excellent beasts. Loyal, fierce, brave, honest." He gazes levelly at L'Argot. "Traits oft times also respected in men."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"You should meet my dogs, Chevalier," said the Duc, pleased to change the subject. "They have all of the qualities you mentioned. Ah, the play! I heard that last year there was a performance of Le Roi en Jaune last year in Milan. They said it brought the house down. I wrote a letter to the troupe of actors that performed it and invited them to come here. They should arrive at some point this afternoon, and they'll dine with us this evening."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Gui returned Jacques’ gaze with a flat look. The pompous arse really was trying his patience. It was a shame it was not he who the automaton had struck down!

Return to “Episode 1”