Page 1 of 1

IC-Ep 1-Thick as Thieves(Gui l'Argot only)

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:06 am
by Mr. Handy
Duc's Palace, Great Hall - Vyones, Auvergne, France
9:00 AM - Monday, April 20, 1517

Gui l'Argot made his way out of the Great Hall down a wide corridor lined with some of the Duc's artworks. There were fancy tapestries hanging from the ceiling, paintings on the walls (a mix of portraits and landscapes), and marble busts in alcoves. It all looked very valuable, but the art had the drawback that it was much too big and heavy, not to mention easily identifiable, to steal.

An elegantly-dressed, beautiful Italian lady followed Gui down the hall, also admiring the artwork, but she cast glances in his direction.

Re: IC-Ep 1-Thick as Thieves(Gui l'Argot only)

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:25 pm
by Philulhu
”Most beautiful, are they not?” said Gui, as he continued to study the portrait in front of him. ”The Duc certainly has an eye for the finer things…” He smiled and looked over at the woman.

Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:46 am
by Mr. Handy
"Indeed," said the lady, extending her hand. "I am Bianca Luciano, of Venice. And of course your reputation precedes you, Monsieur Gui l'Argot. Are the things said about you true, I wonder?"

Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:01 am
by Philulhu
Gui bowed formally and allowed his lips to graze the back of the lady’s hand. ”Perhaps, Mademoisolle, you might tell me what you have heard and I can tell you whether they are true…” he replied with a lascivious smirk.

Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:51 am
by Mr. Handy
"I have heard a number of things about you," said Bianca. "First, that you are a lover of women. I can see for myself that this is so. There are also the rumors that you are a man of many talents...some of them illicit, but also quite useful."

Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:45 pm
by Philulhu
Gui puffed out his chest. ”Were you seeking a demonstration of my talents, Mademoisolle?” he asked, with a raised eyebrow.

Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:27 pm
by Mr. Handy
"If you wish to demonstrate your love of women, perhaps later," said Bianca with a smile. "At the moment, I am more interested in your other talents. What do you know of Giuseppe de Milan?"

Posted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:07 am
by Philulhu
Gui sighed, somewhat exaggeratingly. ”Business first, eh?” he said with a smile. He glanced around then back at the woman. ”As I said to the Duc, I had not seen the fellow before that night. All I know is he was in Monsieur da Vinci’s apartment and it killed him.”

Posted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:50 pm
by Mr. Handy
"He was clearly not as clever as he had thought he was," said Bianca. "Are you more clever than he?"

Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:48 pm
by Philulhu
”I would certainly like to think so,” Gui replied. He studied the woman for a long moment. ”I get the distinct impression that you are building up to something so shall we skip the entrée and and proceed with the main course?”

Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:36 am
by Mr. Handy
"I like a man who gets right to the point," said Bianca. "How would you like to earn five hundred florins?"

Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:25 pm
by Philulhu
”Five hundred Florins?” whistled Gui. ”That’s a reasonable sum of money. What would you want me to do to earn that?” He tried to keep the eagerness for the money out of his voice…

Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:41 pm
by Mr. Handy
"I merely would require you to retrieve a certain object for me," said Bianca.

Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:57 am
by Philulhu
”And which object would that be?” Gui asked, with a slight edge to his tone. ”Would that be the same object that the late Giuseppe de Milan sought? The one that saw him dead on the floor of Monsieur da Vinci’s apartment? Was he your hireling too?”

Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:14 pm
by Mr. Handy
"Were such a thing true, do you think I would admit to it?" replied Bianca. "Does it matter? You said yourself you are more clever than he. I'm sure you would not make a fatal mistake as he apparently did."

Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:27 am
by Philulhu
”Well, that’s true,” preened Gui, straightening his clothes and flicking off imaginary dust. ”I’m sure I wouldn’t have been caught out like that.”

Gui looked around again to make sure they weren’t being overheard. ”So is it the crystal or the puzzle box you seek? Or both?

Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:56 am
by Mr. Handy
"The crystal," said Bianca quietly, after she too looked around, "though I won't mind if it's inside the puzzle box. I'm confident I can open it, even if you cannot. You won't get paid until I confirm that the crystal is within, of course."

Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:07 pm
by Philulhu
”Naturally, Mademoiselle,” said Gui with a bow. ”Now, I’m sure you will tell me to mind your own business, but why is this jewel of such interest to you? I’d like to know - I don’t think that it’s an unreasonable price for my assistance.”

Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:54 pm
by Mr. Handy
"Of course," said Bianca. "The crystal is a relic of lost Atlantis and is a unique item. Perhaps in Atlantis everyone had one, but today it is the only one of its kind known to exist. It is also said to be enchanted. It has an unnatural glow to it."

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:24 am
by Philulhu
”And the object,”” replied Gui, ”Is it dangerous to the touch?” He shrugged. ”Given my predecessor’s untimely demise I’m sure you understand my need to ask these questions.”

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:06 am
by Mr. Handy
"It shouldn't be," said Bianca. "I doubt its current owner put contact poison on it or anything, and the object itself should not pose a danger. That is not what killed your predecessor in any event. If you think it wise to be careful, you can always wear gloves."

Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:48 am
by Philulhu
”Very well, Mademoisolle, we have a rapprochement,” said Gui. ”Leave it with me and I will be in touch.”

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:45 am
by Mr. Handy
"Excellent," said Bianca. "Au revoir." With that, she moved off down the hall.

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:03 am
by Philulhu
Gui watched Bianca leave, wondering what he was getting himself into. Stealing for himself was one thing but when others wanted something stolen to order, it always made him twitchy. Perhaps he needed to find out a bit more about this crystal before he made a move, not least because his card was marked and he’d be the first person to be suspected if it went astray.

He wondered who might be best to approach. Da Vinci himself was out of the question but he may have servants who cleaned his rooms. He may need to practice his seduction technique in order to gain some information…

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:16 am
by Mr. Handy
It didn't take long for Gui to spot a female servant as he walked the halls, a pretty blonde about twenty years old. "Do you need anything, Monsieur?" she asked.

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:22 pm
by Philulhu
”Indeed, Mademoiselle,” replied Gui, with his most charming smile. ”I was just talking to one of the Duc’s fellow guests. I think she said her name was Bianca? Do you happen to know which is her room? I promised to call upon her later and forgot to ask in which room she was staying.” He shrugged apologetically.

Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:39 am
by Mr. Handy
"This way, Monsieur," said the maid, leading Gui down the hall. "She is beautiful, is she not?"

Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:22 pm
by Philulhu
”I guess so,” said Gui with a playful smile. ”But she isn’t the most attractive woman I’ve seen today…”

Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:04 pm
by Mr. Handy
"You've seen a more beautiful lady than she?" asked the maid, genuinely curious. "Who is she, Monsieur?"

Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:00 pm
by Philulhu
Gui laughed. ”Why you, mon ange,” he said, stepping back to admire her. ”Your fair complexion, your beautiful, golden hair! You would give any of these painted ladies a run for their money!” He took her her hand, raised it to his lips and kissed it gently, all the while looking deep into her eyes…

Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:47 pm
by Mr. Handy
"Me?" she said, her eyes wide with surprise. "But...I am a mere serving maid..."

Gui, please roll Fast Talk.

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:48 am
by Philulhu
(55%)1d100

Merde!

”A mere serving girl today, but tomorrow? Who knows?!” smarmed Gui. ”Perhaps, if we were to spend some time together I could show you something of the world, broaden your horizons…”

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:14 am
by Mr. Handy
"So that's your game," she said, the truth finally dawning on her. "Perhaps you will have better luck with your Italian lady. I bid you good day, Monsieur." With that, she walked off down the hall after gesturing at one of the doors.

Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:30 am
by Philulhu
Which way did Bianca go when she left Gui? Could she have made her way back to her room?

Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:10 am
by Mr. Handy

Gui, please roll Navigate to see if you can determine this. If you fail, you have no idea.

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:21 pm
by Philulhu
A basic 10% chance to succeed… …

1d100

Gui turned around, hopelessly lost. He was pretty sure at this point, he couldn’t find his cul with two hands and a map…

Looking around casually to make sure he wasn’t be observed, Gui approached the door, placed his ear against it and listened carefully…

Let’s see if he can hear better than he can navigate… (35%)

1d100

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:35 am
by Mr. Handy
All Gui could hear on the other side of the door was silence.

Wow, the dice must hate you! :o

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:39 pm
by Philulhu
Yeah, two failures on the bounce - not good :o

Gui stepped back from the door, looking around once more. He contemplated trying the door but thought it would just complicate matters if Bianca was in her room. Fishing a coin from his pocket, he pushed it firmly into the door frame - not enough to break the surface of the timber, but enough to leave a mark that he could feel so he knew he could find the door again.

Nonchalantly, he stepped away from the door and strolled away in the direction of the main hall*. He would come back to his new employment shortly but first he wanted to find out a bit more about Mademoiselle Bianca and what she was doing here.

*Or it could be in the direction of the kitchens, or even the privy. Frankly, Gui hasn’t the first clue where he’s going…

Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:01 am
by Mr. Handy

Gui, please roll Luck.

Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:57 pm
by Philulhu
(45%) 1d100

Edit: Yep, that went about as well as expected… …

Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:04 am
by Mr. Handy
The only people left in the Great Hall were a couple of guards, who glared at Gui suspiciously.

Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:46 pm
by Philulhu
Gui waved to guards airly. Messieurs, where has everyone gone? The young ladies, especially?”

Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:54 pm
by Mr. Handy
"The guests go where they will," said one of the guards. "You are free to do the same. Unless you would like a tour of the dungeon, perhaps?"

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:21 am
by Philulhu
Gui smiled sourly, turned on his heel and left. Walking back into the corridor he looked around then headed in the opposite direction from which he has come to see if he could see anyone familiar.

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:06 am
by Mr. Handy

Gui, please roll Luck again.

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:24 pm
by Philulhu
(45%) 1d100

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:41 pm
by Mr. Handy
As Gui walked down the hall, he encountered a tall, handsome, well-dressed Spaniard with dark hair and a thin mustache, one of the other guests. "Good morning, monsieur," he said in French. "I am Don Diego Vega de Almeida de la Cruz, at your service."

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:25 pm
by Philulhu
Gui bowed deeply in return. ”And Gui l’Argot at yours, Monsieur.” He looked around. ”It seems that everyone else has departed momentarily. The palace seems almost deserted.”

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:26 am
by Mr. Handy
"Oh, I'm sure everyone else is around somewhere," said Diego with a bow of his own. "The palace is vast, and the grounds even moreso. Perhaps most people went outside. It is a lovely day."

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:27 pm
by Philulhu
”Indeed,” replied Gui, although truthfully his day had been anything but lovely so far…

”So how do you know the Duc?” he asked. ”A friend? A business partner or just a fellow guest, like myself?”

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:54 am
by Mr. Handy
"He's a friend of my father's," said Diego. "They've gone back a long way. And how do you know him?"

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:21 am
by Philulhu
Gui studied Diego for a moment, trying to recollect if he had been in the hall before, when Gui had been accused as a thief.

”I am… merely a guest,” he replied.

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:22 am
by Mr. Handy
Gui had seen Diego in the hall, along with the other guests. He also recalled hearing his voice. It was Diego whose room the ladies had found along with him, which was right next to theirs.

"The Duc is certainly a generous soul," said Diego.

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:30 pm
by Philulhu
”Indeed,” replied Gui. ”Indeed… …”

It occurred to Gui that if Diego had the room next to the young ladies, then he might have been the source of the chanting they heard through the walls. Was that relevant to anything that had happened? Perhaps he was some kind of sorcerer?! He didn’t look threatening, so perhaps it would be safe to spend a bit of time with him, perhaps get him to talk?

He smiled charmingly. ”I don’t know about you, monsieur, but I’m in the mood for a drink or two. Care to join me?”

Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:17 am
by Mr. Handy
"I'd be delighted," said Diego. "There is wine available in the banquet hall."

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:51 am
by Philulhu
Gui lead the way back to the banqueting Hall. Ignoring the guards, he looked around to see if he could see some wine and glasses.

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:14 am
by Mr. Handy
Casks of wine had been set up on a table, along with numerous glasses. Servants stood there, and they poured glasses for Gui and Diego.

Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:55 am
by Philulhu
”The very best of health, mon ami,” said Gui as he raised his glass in salute to Diego. He took a sip of the wine, letting it play over his tongue and appreciating the fine flavours. ”Quite palatable… …” he said with a smile.

He took another sip and said, ”Have you come across the Chevalier? He seems a disagreeable fellow and he’s taken quite a dislike to me.”

Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:55 am
by Mr. Handy
"I saw him when the Duc held court," said Diego, "but I have not met the man. His reputation does precede him, however. He is said to be a man of great honor and valor."

Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:03 am
by Philulhu
Gui raised an eyebrow. ”He seemed boorish in the extreme,” said Gui. ”Like a man who believes the stories that impressionable people would tell of him.”

”I tried to talk to him but he was only interested in his own view of the situation. As I said - very disagreeable!”

Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:38 am
by Mr. Handy
"Ah," said Diego. "When a man believes he is in the right, it can be difficult in the extreme to convince him otherwise."

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:06 am
by Philulhu
Gui laughed dryly. ”It seems he has a fairly unshakeable belief in that regard. I tried to point out to him some of his flaws - purely in the interest of his self-betterment, you understand - but he was not in the mood to discuss them.” He shrugged in a ‘what else can one do’ manner.

”Have you met Monsieur Da Vinci? The Duc has done well to attract such a noted guest.”

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:07 am
by Mr. Handy
"Not yet," said Diego, finishing his wine, "but I would be very interested in meeting him. Perhaps we should seek him out now."

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:45 am
by Philulhu
”I feel his opinion of me may be coloured by our earlier encounter but why not?!” exclaimed Gui. He drained his wine, placing the empty glass on a nearby table. ”Lead on!”

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:21 pm
by Mr. Handy
"Then let us be off," said Diego, leading Gui upstairs to the guest wing of the palace.

Gui is moving to the thread linked below:

The Mystery Deepens