Page 1 of 1

IC-Ep 1-Time Is an Illusion, Lunchtime Doubly So(Everyone)

Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:19 am
by Mr. Handy
Duc's Palace, Great Hall - Vyones, Auvergne, France
12:30 PM - Monday, April 20, 1517

Everyone filtered into the hall and found seats at the long table that stretched the length of the hall. The Duc and Duchesse sat side by side at the far end of the table. Place settings were in front of each seat.

"Welcome, honored guests!" said the Duc. "Soup will be served in a minute, and bread and wine."

Re: IC-Ep 1-Time Is an Illusion, Lunchtime Doubly So(Everyone)

Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:16 am
by Snapper
Spoiler:
A Hitchhikers' Guide quote!! I love it!! THHGTTG holds a special place in my warped heart.

Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:19 am
by Snapper
Jacques:

Jacques discreetly takes a place some distance down the table from the ducal couple. He looks about, interested to meet or at least identify some of the other guests present.

Spoiler:
Jacques, keen to avoid more impolite behaviour on his own part, will endeavour to avoid being seated near any suspected thieves or suspected thief benefactors.

Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:01 pm
by jp1885

Brook looks around for somewhere for Story, Elizabeth and her to sit near each other. If Nyarlathotep is indeed on the loose, she wants to be with her friends.

Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:49 pm
by aine
“Should we try to sit near Leonardo?” Elizabeth whispers to her friends.
“He has the gem on his person and I’m worried someone might try to take it again. Look, there’s Chevalier Jaques down at the far end. I hope he cooled down on his ride.”

Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:33 pm
by Mr. Handy
Leonardo was seated at the Duc's right hand in the place of honor, and Story, Elizabeth, and Brook were permitted to sit near him, followed by Diego, Jean Luc, and Gui. Jacques sat down near the far end on the other side where he could keep an eye on the latter two without being seated too close to them. He recognized Bianca, Abdullah, and Father Ignacio, who were seated on his side of the table near him. He had not met the tall, handsome Spaniard who was seated near the ladies before, though he had seen him earlier at court. There were a few others toward the head of the table on his own side, but he couldn't really see them from his seat.

Servants came from the kitchens, pouring bowls of soup and glasses of wine for the guests and placing piping hot bread on plates on the table from which guests could help themselves.

Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:04 am
by Snapper
Jacques:

Jacques casts a curious but discreet glance or two at Diego as he happily munches soup and bread, while politely chatting with those near him.

Jacques tries to recognise and possibly identify Diego.

1d%95%

Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:02 pm
by Philulhu
Gui tried not to smirk as he surreptitiously glanced at Jacques, at the far end of the table. The cul de cheval couldn’t get much closer to eating with the servants if he’d tried!

Looking around, he studied the two people he hadn’t yet met, the priest and the man of Arabian descent.

Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:35 pm
by jp1885

Dipping her bread in her soup, Brook studies the other diners, some of whom she hasn’t met before.

If one of them is possessed by Nyarlathotep, perhaps they’re getting used to the idea of eating. Is anyone not sampling the soup?

Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:25 am
by Mr. Handy
Gui saw that the priest was Spanish, and he wore a black robe. He had piercing black eyes that seemed to look through him, and he couldn't help but shiver when the priest looked back at him. The Moor wore exquisite and expensive clothing of his homeland, and he had a much friendlier attitude.

Everyone partook of the soup and bread, and soon after that, the servants brought in platters of roast pork.

"Forgive me, your Grace," the Moor said to the Duc, "but I do not eat pork."

"Of course, Captain," replied the Duc.

"We have beef, if that is to your liking," said the Duchesse.

"That would please me greatly, Duchesse."

"I would prefer beef as well, if I may," said Diego.

"It will be no problem," said the Duchesse, sending a servant back to the kitchens with a wave.

Jacques had heard of Don Diego Vega de Almeida de la Cruz before, but had never met him. He was half-Spanish and half-Portuguese, and a noble as his title suggested, but beyond that he knew little.

Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:25 am
by aine
Elizabeth sips some wine and eats her soup. “What do you know about this Diego?” She asks her friends quietly. “He seems suspiciously friendly.”

Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:31 am
by jp1885

“We met him while we were poking around,” Brook whispers in reply.

“Don’t know much about him, except he’s Jewish and comes from Spain and Portugal.”

Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:20 pm
by Borderline
OOC:   I'm here sorry I got behind. Jean Luc was mostly lost in thought at the library and remained so at the start of the banquet but gradually gets more personable making conversations with the new guests and telling a story mostly for Leonardos benefit l, trying to impress the man with his somewhat cliche views on art.  

Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:14 am
by Philulhu
Gui looked away from the priest’s stare. He had no time for the clergy and their long lists of things you could and couldn’t do. The things they thought he shouldn’t do were the things he enjoyed the most life so who were they to pass judgement upon him?

Speaking of things he shouldn’t do, his eyes flicked over to the fair Bianca and he thought again of what she had asked him to do, and wondered what her motives were.

Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:51 am
by Mr. Handy
"He doesn't want the former known," whispered Story to Brook, "but that's why he won't eat pork. The Moorish captain is no doubt a Muslim, which is why he won't eat it."

Story, Brook, and Elizabeth, please roll Psychology. Gui, please roll Insight.

Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:44 am
by jp1885

[5] = 5
Psychology 39 d%: [ 5 ] = 5

Senses heightened, Brook is particularly sensitive to how the other guests are acting.

Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:40 pm
by Philulhu
(40%) 1d100

Edit: nope! :roll:

Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:47 pm
by aine
Elizabeth watches everyone carefully.
Psychology 47. Roll: 27

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:55 am
by Mr. Handy

Story could tell that Diego genuinely admired Elizabeth and was attracted to her. When he saw that Elizabeth was looking back at him, he nervously looked away. While Diego barely knew Elizabeth, it seemed that he may have fallen in love with her.

Elizabeth could tell that Diego genuinely admired her and was attracted to her. When he saw that she was looking back at him, he nervously looked away.

Brook could tell that Diego genuinely admired Elizabeth and was attracted to her. When he saw that Elizabeth was looking back at him, he nervously looked away. While Diego barely knew Elizabeth, he had clearly fallen in love with her, though he didn't seem to realize it yet.

Story's Psychology roll (93% skill):
d%

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:24 pm
by jp1885

Stifling a grin, Brook catches Story’s eye and, nodding her head imperceptibly at Elizabeth, raises an eyebrow.

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:38 pm
by Mr. Handy
Story raised her own eyebrow, nodding ever so slightly as well.

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:20 pm
by aine
“Is this some eyebrow waggling competition I don’t know about?” Elizabeth asks her friends. She tries to watch Diego without him noticing.

Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:00 pm
by jp1885

“Just communicating in Delphonese,” chuckles Brook.

She leans forward and whispers, “so your admirer doesn’t overhear us…”

Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:59 pm
by aine
“Oh lord. Is it that obvious?” Elizabeth fans herself. “I must say, it’s getting rather warm in here. I wish I could get some fresh air.”

Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:33 am
by Snapper
Jacques:

Jacques happily but politely devours bread, soup, and roast pork, with the air of a man constantly surprised that food can taste good.

Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:55 am
by jp1885

“He’s not bad looking,” Brook grins.

She stops at urging Elizabeth to ‘go for it’, remembering just in time that she hails from the 1950’s and is more prim and proper than noughtie’s girls.

“If you’re into him, see if he makes the next move.”

Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:58 am
by Snapper
Jacques:

Jacques holds a glass of the Duc's red to his nose and inhales deeply and happily. But he drinks with practised slowness, as it would be unbecoming to fall under the grape's influence and make an idiot of himself.

Spoiler:
Is there anyone to talk to at the far end of the table?

Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:06 am
by Mr. Handy

Yes. Bianca, Abdullah, and Father Ignacio are seated near you.

Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:19 pm
by Snapper
Jacques:

Jacques looks over to Bianca with a friendly expression. "Mme Bianca, I hope you have been having a pleasant morning?"

Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:10 pm
by aine
“He’s probably just interested in my duchy back in Narnia.” Elizabeth whispers back. “If he knew I was actually just a school teacher from Edinburgh...”
She takes a big gulp of wine to hide her nervousness.
“Do you think he is here with that evil-looking priest?”

Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:52 pm
by jp1885

“I haven’t met that guy yet,” replies Brook, sneaking a look to see just how evil the priest looks.

Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:09 pm
by Mr. Handy
Bianca turned to look back at Jacques, smiling at him and holding her fan so that only he could see. "Thank you, Chevalier, I am much refreshed," she said. "I have had a pleasant enough morning. And yourself?"

When Brook looked at the priest, he looked back at her with his piercing gaze, and it did give her the willies. It was as though he was searching her soul for every secret sin.

The priest definitely gave off an evil vibe. Diego made it a point not to look at him, and it was clear that Diego was terrified of him for some reason.

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:00 am
by Snapper
Jacques:

With open-faced honesty, Jacques smiles ruefully and admits, "Well, I did get into an argument with the chap who vouched for my alleged thief. Probably not my finest hour."

"Fortunately, I had to take my grumpy war horse for a morning ride, before he took it into his head to eat a stable boy. The Duc has most fine splendid grounds and they cheered me no end."

"So now you find me happy as ever. But I trust our fellow guests have been keeping you amused?"

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:04 am
by Philulhu
Gui watched Jacques engaged in conversation with Bianca with some disquiet. Concentrating, he tried to listen in the their conversation…

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:08 am
by Mr. Handy
Jacques and Bianca were speaking loudly enough for Gui to overhear without difficulty, but there was no way he could see through her fan to observe her facial expressions.

"Ah, yes," said Bianca. "You meet the most fascinating people at these events - yourself included. I'd love to hear more about your horse. He sounds ferocious."

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:38 am
by jp1885

“I’m getting serious Spanish Inquisition vibes from that guy,” whispers Brook, shuddering. “No wonder Diego looks nervous.”

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:26 pm
by Snapper
Jacques:

Jacques gives a snort of laughter. "Buttons? The horse is a grumpy bully, but fiercely brave on the field of battle, and always courteous with beautiful ladies. Or at least I hope so."

"You are most welcome to meet him anytime, although I am sure Venice has horses at least as fierce. Let me bribe him into pleasantness first with some fruit though."

He lowers his voice to a more private level. "One person I have not met yet is that Don Diego gentleman at the other end of the table. Do you know of him, Mme Bianca?"

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:13 pm
by Mr. Handy
"I have heard of him," replied Bianca. "Don Diego Vega de Almeida de la Cruz is a half-Spanish, half-Portuguese noble. I don't know much else about him. I would like to get to know him better, but he currently has his eyes set on another." She glanced at Elizabeth over the top of her fan. "Buttons is a chivalrous horse, from what little I've seen of him when I went to the stable. My own horse, Luciana, gets along well with him. She is as strong as she is beautiful. I think they would make a lovely couple. Just imagine what magnificent foals they could have!"

Bianca's Know roll about Diego:
d%

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:23 pm
by aine
“Senor Diego does look unsettled.” Elizabeth agrees with Brooke. “Maybe I can ask him about it after lunch. If I was to choose a likely candidate for chaos and disaster, it would be that creepy priest.”

Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:20 am
by Philulhu
Gui could only watch the shy glances and furtive whispering. Frustratingly, none of it was aimed in his direction. He glanced at Jacques and Bianca who were now talking about breeding horses, of all things! What a dullard! He was surprised that he hadn’t put Bianca to sleep…

Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:59 am
by Borderline
Jean Luc, having loosened up is on his third glass of wine but also closely monitoring the alcohol consumption of those present. He finishes a story directed at Leonardo in a slightly louder tone- "So I said, you've had that the whole time? What else have you got in there?!" Laughing at his own story.

Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:10 am
by Mr. Handy
Leonardo also demonstrated his skill at raising one eyebrow without lifting the other, but he did not laugh at the joke. Maybe the corner of his lip twitched.

Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:20 am
by Snapper
Jacques:

Jacques laughs again. "I have no doubt Buttons would agree. In fact, one of the stable boys mentioned your beautiful horse to me this morning. She has turned heads, it seems."

After some further small talk about horses and desirable lineage, Jacques glances at the rest of the table again. In conspiratorial tones again, he says, "These Spanish Dons have very long names, do they not? I'm sure the reasons for it are important to them but I would get sick of telling people my name were it that long."

Spoiler:
Can Jacques make a roll to sense any tension about the table?

Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:26 pm
by jp1885

Replying to Elizabeth, Broom grins.

“Gives you an excuse to talk to the guy I guess.”

Her gaze turns from the smitten Spaniard and the creepy priest to the other guests.

“Have you met any of the others?”

Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:54 pm
by aine
“I haven’t. But I see the Chevalier is making up for it.” Elizabeth looks down the table, past the chuckling Jean Luc and smouldering Gui, to the far end where Jaques is in a deep conversation with a sultry noblewoman.
“She, er, has quite the décolletage ; would you say that’s the Spanish or Italian influence on her gown?”

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:58 am
by Mr. Handy
"It does seem a mouthful," agreed Bianca.

Jacques, you may roll Insight.

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:09 am
by Snapper
Jacques:

1d%H75%

OOC:   Success.  

Jacques glances at Elizabeth then Diego, and raises an eyebrow in surprise. He continues quietly, "Is the Spanish gentleman looking for a more 'practical' arrangement, I wonder? There is nothing wrong with such arrangements of course. I assume then that the lady from Narnia - wherever that is - must bring with her a far greater dowry than I had supposed."

"Well, best of luck to them. I am told that such practical marriages, driven as much by finances as anything spiritual or poetic, can work just as well as any other. For myself, I fear I am driven by more romantic notions. But few among us are so secure we can make decisions based purely on romance, poetry and the like."

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:10 am
by Mr. Handy
"Narnia is probably somewhere in Scotland," replied Bianca. "I can tell by her speech. She has come a long way to be here. She's pretty enough, I suppose, but I don't know what she has that I don't."

Jacques could tell that Diego was definitely attracted to Elizabeth, and that he seemed terrified of Father Ignacio. No wonder, if he knew who the man was. The Spanish Inquisition was known to strike fear into the hearts of men.

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:37 am
by jp1885

“She’s quite the glamourpuss isn’t she?” Brook muses, peering down the table.

“I guess we should make more of an effort to mingle.”

She turns and smiles in greeting at the diner opposite.

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:43 am
by Snapper
"Mme Bianca, your beauty is a thing of legend, even as far as the Greek island of Rhodes where I have been quartered. Without wishing to be ungenerous to the other ladies, let me assure you that all men notice when you enter a room."

Jacques continues in a very quiet tone. "Miss Elizabeth is - ah - not showered with such natural gifts and abilities. Which led to my assuming that property transfer may have been part of the attraction in that case. For which I judge no one. All of which was probably very unchivalrous of me to even discuss."

"And it seems I may be wrong in any event, as he appears inexplicably attracted to the lady. Spanish tastes may differ."

"But Narnia is in Scotland? At least I know where Scotland is. There are fierce Scotsmen among the Knights Hospitaller in fact."

"I wonder why he fears the good father here?" Jacques casts a glance at Father Ignacio.

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:49 pm
by aine
Are Gui, Jean-Luc or Diego close enough for Brooke and Elizabeth to talk to? And Father Ignacio- is he too far away to hear us?

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:41 pm
by Mr. Handy
The servants came by with several platters of roast pork, and two of roast beef, placing them on the table and serving them to those who want them.

Seated across from Brook was a teenage girl with blonde hair, who smiled back. "Bonjour, Mademoiselle," she said to her. "I am Lady Amelie. It is a pleasure to meet you."

"Thank you, Sir Jacques," said Bianca with a smile. "It is not a surprise that anyone fears the Inquisitor. What man has nothing to hide? Excepting yourself, of course."

You may assume that you can converse with anyone seated at the table. While it is long, you can make yourself heard if you wish. Likewise, you can assume that you can hear everyone else speaking, and that everyone else can hear you, unless you specifically whisper. Ladies often use their fans to cover their mouths while whispering so that nobody knows they are speaking at all.

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:35 am
by Snapper
Jacques:

Jacques grins and murmurs back to Bianca, "I'm just as scared of him."

Looking across to Father Ignacio, in a more conversational tone Jacques asks, "How has your morning been, Father? Are you taking the opportunity to revive your spirits?"

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:51 am
by Philulhu
Gui tucked into the pork with limited enthusiasm. Normally he would have enjoyed such opportunities to converse but the earlier accusations of thievery made him wonder if everyone was secretly looking at him, even if Jean Luc had vouched for him. And now the fair Bianca was deep in conversation with the cul de cheval - he wondered if he was being set up for another fall…

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:03 am
by Mr. Handy
"Ah, yes," said Father Ignacio. "I paid a visit to the shrine by the lake just after court ended to pray and pay my respects. Have you seen it?"

It was Jean Luc who vouched for Gui, not Don Diego.

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:28 am
by Snapper
Jacques:

"Why I paused there myself, on my morning ride, and took the opportunity of a few minutes' quiet contemplation and prayer. A most beautiful spot."

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:05 am
by Mr. Handy
"Indeed, it is," said Father Ignacio, "and a most humble place too. Magnificent cathedrals can be beautiful, too, but there is something to be said for its simplicity."

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:46 pm
by Philulhu
Oops - amended my post.

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:12 pm
by jp1885

Brook smiles back at Lady Amelie.

“Hi, I’m Brook. These are my friends Elizabeth and Story. Are you a guest of the Duc or do you live here?”

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:57 pm
by aine
Elizabeth smiles at Diego,
“ Señor, from what part of Spain do you hail from? Are you here for business? I’m sorry I haven’t yet met the Senorina Bianca nor Father Ignacio; are you travelling with them?”
Whoops, my fault; the table had stretched in my imagination and I didn’t think we could talk to everyone.

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:23 am
by Mr. Handy
"I am a guest," said Lady Amelie. "I am here with my father and mother, the Comte and Comtess d'Erlette." She glanced at the man and woman on either side of her. The man was in his forties, stout and bearded, and the woman looked much like her daughter, but in her thirties. Both had blonde hair like her.

"Ah, Senorita Elizabeth," said Diego, smiling back, "I was born in Almeida, in Portugal, but I live now in Salamanca. It is a wondrous and large city. There is an excellent university there, where I was educated. And whence do you hail, fair lady?"

That's okay, I didn't really describe just how long the table is anyway.

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:29 pm
by Snapper
Jacques:

Mr. Handy wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:05 am "Indeed, it is," said Father Ignacio, "and a most humble place too. Magnificent cathedrals can be beautiful, too, but there is something to be said for its simplicity."

Jacques nods at this. "I had not really thought about it before but you are right, Father. The shrine's simplicity is indeed beautiful. And most restful to the soul. We are surrounded by great beauty at the Duc's chateaux."

Pausing and looking slightly embarrassed, Jacques looks over at Abdullah.

"Captain al-Rashid, have you had a pleasant morning as well?"

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:00 pm
by aine
To Diego Elizabeth replies,
“I’m from Caer Paraval in Narnia, which is far, far away. But that’s fabulous to have a university; have you studied there? I love history myself.”

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:07 pm
by jp1885

Brook smiles in greeting at Amelie’s parents, before focusing on their daughter.

“Are you all friends of the Duc? Forgive my questions: we haven’t been here long and I don’t know many people near my own age; I’m just being curious. I love your dress by the way.”

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:45 pm
by Mr. Handy
"Very much so, Chevalier," said Abdullah, between bites of his roast beef. "The food here is a refreshing change from what I'm used to at sea."

"I see we have much in common," Diego replied to Elizabeth. "I am also fascinated by history, and I have studied it at the University of Salamanca, among other subjects. I am particularly interested in Roman times."

"Thank you," said Amelie to Brook. "Yours is very pretty as well. I'm glad to meet someone close to my age too. I'm sure we'll be fast friends!"

"The Duc and I have been friends for years," said the Comte d'Erlette. "The rest of my family does not know him that well, but he invited me to bring them too. My son has other obligations, but I have brought my wife and daughter."

"Perhaps we will find a suitable match for Amelie here," said the Comtesse.

Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:00 pm
by Snapper
Jacques:

Mr. Handy wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:45 pm "Very much so, Chevalier," said Abdullah, between bites of his roast beef. "The food here is a refreshing change from what I'm used to at sea."

Jacques laughs easily. "I understand completely, Captain, I've spent far too much time eating fish and salt rations aboard ships while chasing Barbary pirates."

Mr. Handy wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:45 pm "The rest of my family does not know him that well, but he invited me to bring them too. My son has other obligations, but I have brought my wife and daughter."

"Perhaps we will find a suitable match for Amelie here," said the Comtesse.

Jacques catches the end of that conversation. For a moment, he turns to look at L'Argot and all trace of humour disappears. Jacques puts down his knife, holds up his sword hand, flexes it a few times, and shakes his head slightly at L'Argot. Then he turns his attention back to the good Captain, smiling again.

Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:34 pm
by Philulhu
Torn from his introspection by the mention of a potential suitor for Amelie, Gui looked up in time to catch Jacques’ eye.

He raised a sardonic eyebrow, smoothed his hair over his shoulders and leant forward to get a better look at the young lady.

Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:07 pm
by Mr. Handy
Amelie was a pretty girl about fifteen years old and a little less than five feet tall. She wore an expensive-looking silk dress.

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:18 am
by aine
Elizabeth smiles at Diego, “Oh, have you ever been to the Roman Theatre in Vaucluse, south of here? I’ve heard it is quite impressive.”

Elizabeth raises her fan and talks in a quiet voice,
“Are you interested in the play that the Duc is putting on? I think it might be old too; would it be Roman do you know?”

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:09 pm
by Philulhu
Gui smiled charmingly at Amelie, whilst inwardly wondering why she was yet married some three years after it would have been legal to do so…

12?! For marriage laws in France at the time: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriageable_age

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:36 pm
by Snapper
Jacques:

Jacques sees L'Argot smiling at the young lady. He pauses to finish a bite of pork. He takes a deep breath and exhales calmly before looking directly at the fellow.

In a conversational tone but loud enough all could hear, Jacques says, "L'Argot, a daughter of the nobility is not going to be remotely interested in a poverty struck nobody like you. Also, you are far too old for the young lady. And I am no expert on the subject but I believe you are also too ugly."

"So, in the interests of not ruining appetites around the table, do stop smiling at the young lady."

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:58 pm
by Mr. Handy
"I have not been there," said Diego, "but I will make it a point to see it while I am in France. I am intrigued by the play and look forward to seeing it, but I have not heard of it before, so I do not know if it is Roman in origin. Perhaps we can ask the players when the troupe arrives."

"Thank you, Chevalier," said the Comte. "You put it better than I could have myself."

"We are only looking for potential suitors of noble birth," added the Comtesse.

Story, Elizabeth, and Brook may roll History to see what they know about the Comte d'Erlette's family. Everyone else may roll Know.

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:14 am
by Snapper
Jacques:

1d%95%

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:50 am
by Philulhu
Gui’s jaw tightened as he glared at Jacques. Through gritted teeth, he snapped, ”Once again your own base intentions and limited intellect compel you to speak before that thing you think of as a brain has had chance to consider the folly of your interjections! I merely smiled at the young lady in order to be friendly. It is clear to all that she is young and has just entered marriageable age. Were I to seek a bride, she would be closer to my own age. Were you seek a bride, it would most likely have four legs and bark at passing carriages!”

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:16 am
by Mr. Handy
"Gentle guests, please do not fight!" said the Duc. "This is meant to be a joyous occasion!"

Jacques knew that the Comte d'Erlette and his family hailed from Montmorency-les-Roches, not far from Paris. There were rumors that there was some sort of curse upon his family, though the details were sketchy. This could explain why a husband for Lady Amelie had not yet been found.

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:06 am
by Philulhu
Gui took a deep breath and looked at the Duc. ”Please accept my apologies, your Grace, but the Chevalier - a word he delivered with withering scorn that clearly demonstrated his contempt for Jacques - “persists in disparaging me at every opportunity.”

He sat up straighter. Monsieur de Monet has vouched for me and yet this…” - he flicked a dismissive hand in Jacques’ direction - ”…continues!”

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:58 pm
by aine
Elizabeth interjects to diffuse the rising tension,
“Your Grace, may we hear something about the play. Where did Your Grace hear about it?”

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:59 pm
by Snapper
Jacques:

Jacques politely nods to the Duc. He smiles and says, "The irony is, I think dogs in fact are excellent beasts. Loyal, fierce, brave, honest." He gazes levelly at L'Argot. "Traits oft times also respected in men."

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:45 am
by Mr. Handy
"You should meet my dogs, Chevalier," said the Duc, pleased to change the subject. "They have all of the qualities you mentioned. Ah, the play! I heard that last year there was a performance of Le Roi en Jaune last year in Milan. They said it brought the house down. I wrote a letter to the troupe of actors that performed it and invited them to come here. They should arrive at some point this afternoon, and they'll dine with us this evening."

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:55 am
by Philulhu
Gui returned Jacques’ gaze with a flat look. The pompous arse really was trying his patience. It was a shame it was not he who the automaton had struck down!

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:41 am
by Borderline
Jean Luc let out a hearty "HA!" Involuntarily at the suggestion of the Chevalier marrying a dog.

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:15 pm
by aine
Elizabeth rolls her eyes at Brook and gives a small sigh.
History 72 roll: 8

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:54 am
by Mr. Handy

Elizabeth knew a lot about the Comte d'Erlette's family. They hailed from Montmorency-les-Roches, not far from Paris. There was supposedly a curse placed upon the family. A member of that family named Antoine-Marie Augustin would be born in 1635 and would go on to write a mysterious book called Cultes des Ghouls in 1703 and then become a recluse. This book in large part concerned ghouls like the ones that she and her friends had encountered in the tunnels beneath the British Museum in 1930. He had disappeared mysteriously in 1724 before his remains were found, torn apart by beasts. His family had fled the French Revolution for Bavaria in the 1790, where they took on the name Derleth. Members of that family emigrated to America in the 1830s, and the well-known horror writer August Derleth was one of their descendants.
Spoiler:
Elizabeth, you know everything in the timeline in this page prior to 1957, which is after your time.

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:08 pm
by aine
“ Comte d'Erlette, that rings a bell.” Elizabeth is lost in thought for a moment,
“Oh dear.” She says and she looks hard at the family, trying to measure them against what she knows about their descendants but it’s far too complicated and makes her head spin.
She fans herself and takes some wine, looking worried.

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:18 am
by Philulhu
Desperately wanting to change the topic of conversation, Gui spotted his chance when he saw the colour drain from Elizabeth’s face.

”Is everything all right, Mademoiselle? You look quite pale,” he asked.

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:51 am
by Mr. Handy
"What is wrong, Elizabeth?" asked Diego, concern in his voice. "Is there anything I can do to help?"

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:26 pm
by aine
‘Thank you, gentle sirs. I’m just finding it rather warm in here.” Elizabeth fans herself and rallies a smile. “I’m looking forward to exploring more later; it looks like it might be a lovely afternoon.”
She looks around the table wondering who she and her companions could trust.

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:03 am
by Philulhu
Gui bowed his head. ”I would be honoured to accompany you, Mademoiselle, lest you feel unwell again.”

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:48 am
by Mr. Handy
"As would I," added Diego.

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:39 am
by Snapper
Jacques:

Jacques continues chatting amiably with the Captain and Bianca about minor matters.

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:44 am
by aine
“That’s very kind of you, Monsieur L’Argot.”

Elizabeth brightens up; telling herself not not worry and to enjoy being in the history she had only read about before,

“ Diego and I are both visitors here so it would be wonderful to be shown around the highlights of Vyones castle and grounds; do you know it well?”

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:40 am
by Philulhu
”A little,” shrugged Gui, who knew next to nothing about the estate. ”Perhaps the Duc might spare us a member of his household to tell us about it?” He looked down the table in his grace’s direction.

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:05 am
by Mr. Handy
"Of course," said the Duc. "After luncheon is over, one of the servants will be happy to give whoever wants it a tour."

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:23 am
by Philulhu
”Thank you, your grace,” replied Gui, with a bow of his head and a smile in Elizabeth’s direction.

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:35 pm
by aine
That wasn’t quite the result Elizabeth was after as she wanted to avoid nosey servants but then her eyes lit on Jaques at the far end of the table,
“Chevalier, would you do us all the honour of a tour? You must know the castle well and I’m sure the kind Duc can’t really spare a servant from the preparations for the theatre.”

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:35 am
by Philulhu
Gui rolled his eyes and discreetly crossed himself, hoping that Jacques would be otherwise engaged…

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:10 am
by Snapper
Jacques:

Jacques is caught slightly off-guard. "Ah, Mme Elizabeth, I am just a guest here too. I'm not sure I know the chateaux any better than you, and I am sure the Duc's staff are much better placed to guide you."

"Now crusader castles I'm an expert on. But they tend to follow a standard plan of course."

"Umm, I am of course at your service as a fellow explorer of this beautiful palace as you are guided around by one of the staff."

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:13 pm
by aine
“I beg your pardon; you seemed well aquainted with the castle; my apologies, Chevalier.” Elizabeth smiles at Jaques and then turns to the Duc.
“We will accept a guide for this afternoon thank you, Your Grace.”

Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:49 am
by Mr. Handy
"Good," said the Duc. "The play is not until tomorrow evening, and the players have not yet even arrived. I can spare Henri to show you around this afternoon. He knows the chateau very well."

Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:42 am
by Philulhu
Gui smiled graciously at the Duc, while inwardly cursing the fact the Chevalier intended to join them. At least he wouldn’t be leading the tour, prattling on about things he probably knew very little about.

Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:30 am
by Snapper
Jacques:

Jacques nods to the Duc. "Your Grace is most kind and I look forward to it."

He smiles happily, if a little warily, at the unpredictable ladies from Narnia (somewhere near Scotland).

Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:40 pm
by aine
Elizabeth turns to the Comte d'Erlette.
“Sir, you and your lovely wife are wearing the latest fashion very well; you must come from Paris, it’s such a fashionable city.” She says.

Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:13 am
by Mr. Handy
"Thank you," said the Comte. "Our estate is a short distance from Paris, but we have a house in the city as well. Our clothes do indeed come from Paris. The best tailors and dressmakers are there."

"Yes, thank you, dear," said the Comtesse. "Paris is such a lovely city, and ever so fashionable."

"Have you ever been to Paris?" Lady Amelie asked the ladies.

Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:21 pm
by aine
“No, I haven’t had the pleasure.” Replies Elizabeth. “Do you know the country there well? Has your family been there a long time- for many generations?”

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:42 am
by Mr. Handy
"Oh, yes," said the Comte. "Our family has long been prominent in the area."

"And what of yourself, and your family?" asked the Comtesse.

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:38 am
by Snapper
Jacques:

Jacques raises his eyebrows, and smirks slightly at Elizabeth. He is keen to hear any details about the strange land of Narnia.

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:19 pm
by aine
Elizabeth narrows her eyes at Jaques, wondering what he found so amusing.
“I come from Caer Paravel in Narnia which is a small monarchy north of Scotland. But it’s rather dull; lots of forest full of animals. Everyone likes hunting and sailing. Not as much culture or exciting history as here.
“Does your family have an interesting history?” She asks the Comtesse.

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:15 pm
by Mr. Handy
"It must get awfully cold that far north," said Lady Amelie.

"Oh, yes, dear," said the Comtesse to Elizabeth. "In fact, my family is actually related to the Duchesse's family. And my husband's ancestors helped defend Paris when the Norsemen attacked it almost seven hundred years ago."

"I never tire of telling about that," said the Comte. "They fought against the armies of Ragnar Lodbrok and lived to tell the tale."

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:31 am
by Philulhu
”Ragnar Lodbrok? Please tell us more,” interrupted Gui. He had never heard of the fellow but an ancient ancestor one could weave into one’s own past never hurt when dealing with those with whom such issues mattered.

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:46 am
by Mr. Handy
"Ragnar Lodbrok was a legendary Norse king," said the Comte. "In the year of our Lord 845, he came with his men to lay siege to Paris. It was only through courage and determination that my ancestors and others like them withstood him. Thanks to them, Paris did not fall."

Everyone may roll History.

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:30 am
by Snapper
Jacques:

1d%H20%

OOC:   Fail.  

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:42 am
by Philulhu
20%1d100

Despite the monk’s attempts to beat knowledge into a much younger Gui, recollections of that particular piece of information eluded him…

Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:42 pm
by aine
History: 73, roll: 82

“They saved Paris from the Vikings, how extraordinary! It must have been a fierce battle; were your ancestors much wounded?”

Elizabeth asks. This era is not one she has studied much but she has a goal in mind with her questioning.

Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:41 am
by Mr. Handy
"I'm sure they received their share of interesting wounds and scars in the battle," said the Comte, "but I do not know the details."

Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:17 pm
by aine
“And does the modern Parisian also have monsters to thwart?” Asks Elizabeth.

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:40 am
by Mr. Handy
"In this day and age?" asked the Comte. "Even during the recent war, Paris was never in any danger, and now we are at peace. No foreign foe can get close to Paris."

"There is always danger from enemies within," said Father Ignacio.

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:19 am
by Philulhu
”Enemies within, Father? What true Frenchmen would wish us harm?” said Gui with preposterous tone.

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:24 am
by Mr. Handy
"A true Frenchman would not," said the priest, meeting Gui's eyes with that piercing gaze of his. "A traitor or a heretic would not be a true Frenchman, though, would he?"

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:10 am
by Snapper
Jacques:

Jacques watches the conversation turn from bad to worse with the interest of a bystander who, for a change, has done nothing wrong.

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:24 pm
by aine
“Father Ignacio, are you from France? Or Spain, perhaps?” Elizabeth asks, trying to change the subject.

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:01 pm
by Mr. Handy
"I am Spanish," said Ignacio, "but the same God rules all kingdoms."

Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:37 pm
by aine
“Of course.” Elizabeth bows her head in acknowledgement. “And what do you think about tomorrow’s play? Are you looking forward to it?” She asks the priest.

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:21 am
by Mr. Handy
"Plays are at best frivolous," said Ignacio, "and at worst the instruments of the devil."

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:26 am
by Snapper
Jacques:

This seems as good a time as any to try to change the current luncheon conversation back to safer ground.

Jacques looks to the Duc and Comte. "Your Grace, my lord Comte, it is a rare privilege for me to feast on such company. My lords, you are members of the King's court and are far better informed than a humble soldier such as I. I should be very pleased to hear your thoughts on the current threats to France."

"His Majesty has been most successful in forging new alliances with our neighbours, assuming those alliances all remain stable."

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:11 am
by Mr. Handy
"King Francis has done well in his first years on the throne," said the Duc. "He has brought us victory, and Milan is now ours. Now that we are at peace, there are no threats in the immediate future, but one must always be on watch. Our traditional foes the English especially bear watching. Did you know that they still claim the throne of France? Of course, we have plenty of allies. No doubt our friends the Scots will remain a threat on England's northern flank, and the English will be less likely to try anything knowing that they are there. Venice is also a valued ally." He bowed his head to Bianca. "As is the Duchy of Ferrara. The Holy Roman Emperor Maximilian is ailing, and our own King has a good chance to succeed him."

"There is always the threat of the Barbary pirates," added the Comte. "You know all too well about them, Chevalier. But they are not a large threat to France. They endanger shipping, it is true, but they are not much good on land."

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:36 am
by Philulhu
Gui had to stifle a yawn. Matters of state bored him! He had much more immediate concerns to address, such as finding what happened to the thief so that he might not make the same mistake!

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:49 pm
by Snapper
Jacques:

Jacques listens and nods in interest. "Yes, the Barbary pirates are cruel and heartless savages in their dealings with coastal villages all across the Mediterranean Sea. Yet they are cowards who will never choose to face the might of a French Army."

"Your Grace mentions the Scots. I have fought side by side with many fierce Scots knights. Great warriors, loyal, honourable, and likeable."

Jacques looks across to the mystery Narnian. "Miss Elizabeth, your accent sounds much like it may be Scottish. Is Narnia very close to, or part of Scotland then?" Jacques' face is a picture of bland innocence aside from a slight smile.

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:27 am
by aine
“You are very perceptive, Chevalier!” Elizabeth replies with a bigger smile. “I have lived in Edinburgh for quite a few years, and Aberdeen too since we’ve had a truce with England.”

Elizabeth tries to think back to her Scotch history lessons and hopes she has got the dates right.
“But I’m not sure how long that will last now that France and Scotland are planning to be allies.”

Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:48 am
by Snapper
Jacques:

"Indeed," Jacques nods. "Although I cannot take credit for identifying your accent. It was Mme Bianca who noticed."

"What puzzles me is that you come from a land I know full well has knights and which is most versed in the ideal of chivalry. Yet you and the other ladies from Narnia seem completely mystified by the behaviour of knights here."

"I mean no offence, of course. Have you, perchance, been cloistered in a convent for many years?"

Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:27 am
by Mr. Handy
"Scotland and France have been good friends for a long time," said the Duc, "and often allies, but I do not think there will be another war with England so soon. We've only recently finished the last one. But there will always be another war. I was sorry to hear of the death of King James IV of Scotland at the battle of Flodden a few years ago."

Elizabeth, you may roll History.

Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:21 pm
by aine
History: 73. Roll: 72!

Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:48 pm
by Mr. Handy

Elizabeth recalled that the Battle of Flodden was fought in 1513, where the English defeated the invading Scots, killing many of them - including King James IV, who was the last king to be slain in battle in the British Isles. His infant son James V had been crowned king in his place, with his mother Margaret Tudor as his guardian, though she had not officially been named Regent.

Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:07 pm
by aine
“The Battle of Flodden was a terrible day for Scotland; so many noble men died. Margaret Tudor has done well as regent to keep the jackals away as Scotland recovers. But now she has remarried, the regency has passed to James’ uncle, John Stewart, the 2nd Duke of Albany. He is not a nice man and I fear for James and his little brother.

Elizabeth thinks back to long classroom afternoons of her history teacher droning on.

Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:47 pm
by Snapper
Jacques:

"Fascinating," says Jacques, not sounding at all fascinated. "But back to my question and the cloistered nuns?"

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:06 am
by Mr. Handy
"I think Margaret Tudor will continue to do a good job," said Bianca. "Even without being Regent, a king's widow can wield significant influence - especially when she's protecting her child."

"It is true," said the Duc. "The widow of the last king, Mary Tudor, proves that, and I have no doubt that her sister has the same capability. I wish our Queen hadn't married an Englishman, but she is loyal to her brother King Henry VIII."

Margaret Tudor will go on to have Albany removed as Regent in 1524 while he is away in France and obtain the Regency for herself.

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:02 pm
by aine
“I think Margaret Tudor will be good for Scotland and hopefully we will all have peace for a while.” Elizabeth replies.
She turns to Jaques,
“Unfortunately our knights are just the same.” She says dryly. “Unable to take the slightest insult without getting in a pickle over it. What do you think the Crusades were all about?!”

Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:37 am
by Mr. Handy
"They were about taking the fight to the infidels who invaded our land," said Ignacio, "and freeing the Holy Land from their clutches."

"To us, you are the infidels," said Abdullah, though he said it in a lighthearted tone.

"Were it not for Charles Martel," said the Comte, "France would have had much of its land overrun as Spain did."

Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:09 pm
by aine
Elizabeth smiles a little sadly,
“Exactly, you see. It’s just on a much bigger scale.”
“Luckily James’ mother will take back the Scottish Regency from his uncle. At least, I mean, I hope she will.”

Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:22 am
by Snapper
Jacques:

Jacques gives Elizabeth a rather doubting look. "Regardless of who had the right, the Crusades were not the result of someone's temper tantrum, nor muddle headed young lads trying to demonstrate how manly they were. Countless lives were lost on all sides, and many brave deeds performed. My own Order sprang from the Crusades."

"I cannot believe the Church in Scotland would agree with your views much more than I do," he adds dryly. "But let us speak no more of grim history over lunch."

"Now, when shall we commence our tour of the Duc's chateaux?"

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:23 am
by Mr. Handy
"Once you are ready, Henri shall escort those who wish a tour," said the Duc. The luncheon was winding down at this point.

"Not all knights are as you describe," Diego said to Elizabeth. "There is something to be said for chivalry. Women should be honored and protected."

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:02 pm
by Philulhu
Gui nodded and carefully wiped his mouth, indicating that he was ready for the tour to start.

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:50 pm
by aine
“You are right, Diego. Most men are gentlemen. It is only the wasteful bloodshed over petty squabbles that I find sad.” Elizabeth stands up and curtsies to the head of the table,
“Your Grace, thank you for a wonderful luncheon.” She joins the others going on the tour.

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:58 am
by Mr. Handy
"This way, please," said Henri once the guests had assembled, leading the way down the hall at the rear of the banquet hall. Most of the guests accompanied them on the tour. The hall was decorated with high-quality paintings in elaborate frames on the walls on both sides, a mixture of portraits and landscapes. Tapestries hung from the ceiling, and marble busts stood on stands in alcoves. Gui had seen these earlier. "This is His Grace's collection of works of art from various sources. Though he does not yet have one of yours, Master Leonardo."

"Perhaps a commission could be arranged," said Leonardo.

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:25 am
by Snapper
Jacques:

Jacques looks for any portraits he can identify of famous military figures or battle scenes he recognises.

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:09 am
by Mr. Handy
There were a few paintings of a martial nature that Jacques could see. One portrait was of the paladin Roland, and there was also a landscape of the Battle of Castillon, the final battle in which France finally won the Hundred Years' War in 1453.

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:28 am
by Snapper
Jacques:

Jacques sees the paintings and lets out a happy grunt. He turns to Elizabeth. "Miss Elizabeth, I hope you know of the stories of Roland even in distant Scotland and Narnia? Surely, he was a depiction of chivalrous virtue that even you could not fault?"

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:56 pm
by aine
Elizabeth stops next to Jaques and looks at the painting.
“Childe Roland.” She murmurs, “To the dark tower came. Yes I know of him. For some reason I grew up thinking he was Irish whereas he was actually the nephew of Charlemagne.
He became a great and heroic knight. Was it he who entered fairyland? In the stories, I mean- not in real life, of course.”

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:36 am
by Mr. Handy
"They do not make men like him any more," said the Comte.

"A pity," said Bianca. "I have read Orlando Innamorato. I wish a man would fight for me like he fought for Angelica."

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:34 am
by Snapper
Jacques:

Jacques gazes at the picture, studying it. "The stories of Roland and the other tales of chivalry are an inspiration for me. They always have been."

"Mme Bianca, I suspect many men would fight like lions for you." He grins cheerfully.

Then Jacques turns to Elizabeth. "And yes, Miss Elizabeth, Roland was Charlemagne's nephew. But I do not know the story you refer to, it must be a story that has not yet travelled to France."

"I know 'childe' is an ancient word for the title 'squire'."

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:31 pm
by Philulhu
Gui tried to stifle a yawn. Books were only worth paying attention to if they were valuable or if there was no other paper available in the chiottes

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:58 pm
by aine
“I can’t get over how vibrant all the colours are!” Remarks Elizabeth, then she glances at Gui.
“Henri, please continue the tour.”

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:17 pm
by Mr. Handy
"Certainly, Mademoiselle," said Henri. "This way, please." He walked backwards down the hall, seemingly knowing exactly how far he had gone without even looking behind him, pointing out this or that work of art as they passed. Soon the art gallery ended at a T-intersection, where another corridor branched off to the left and right. Down both branches were regular alcoves in most of which stood suits of armor in various styles and armed with a variety of weapons. Straight ahead, opposite the hall from which they had come, was a massive ironbound oak door with a strong-looking lock. "Behind this door is the Duc's armory. It contains our supplies of gunpowder and shot, as well as cannonballs, and more traditional arms. Down the hall to the left and right we have various suits of armor on display with selected weapons, though some have been removed to the armory for routine cleaning and polishing."

Re: IC-Ep 1-Time Is an Illusion, Lunchtime Doubly So(Everyone

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:17 pm
by Philulhu
”Does the tour include the armoury?” asked Gui, who was genuinely interested and not, for once, merely interested in its monetary value…

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:26 pm
by Mr. Handy
"I'm afraid not, Monsieur," said Henri. "The armory is kept under lock and key."

Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:15 am
by Philulhu
”That is a shame,” replied Gui. ”My father fought against the Spanish in the Azores. He told me many tales of his adventures and I have a lasting interest in militaria as a result.”

”But I digress. Please continue with our tour.”

Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:25 am
by Snapper
Jacques:

"L'Argot, I had no idea you were interested in soldiery. Why, any time you should wish for some practice with the sword, please allow me to be your fencing master. I should take it as a personal honour."

"Meantime, it is lucky your interest can be well fed by the many suits of armour you can see here, outside the locked room."

Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:39 pm
by Philulhu
Gui laughed dryly. ”I fear that your personal honour would be at stake were I to take you up on your offer, monsieur,” he replied. ”But I wouldn’t want to burden you with the responsibility of my ‘accidental’ death should you get carried away…”

He looked to the ladies and rolled his eyes.

Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:25 pm
by Snapper
Jacques:

"I had more in mind wooden swords and no deaths. My offer stands. You never know, you might like an honest life." With that, Jacques moves on to see more of the chateaux.

Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:40 pm
by aine
Elizabeth grins. There would be little point in these two taking up real weapons against each other; the parry and thrust of their verbal duelling was much more bloody. And amusing.

Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:05 am
by Philulhu
Gui saw Elizabeth’s grin. Clearly she was impressed by his sharp wit and repartee! He puffed up his chest and winked at her…

Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:54 pm
by Mr. Handy
"This way, please," said Henri, turning down the right corridor and walking backward along it, passing various suits of armor, until they reached a corner where a guard stood on a landing of a spiral stairway made of stone leading both up and down. The corridor made a right turn at this point as well, though that branch did not have alcoves or armor. "These stairs lead up to a tower, where prisoners of high birth can be kept. It is currently unoccupied. Below us is the dungeon, for prisoners of lesser status. It too is empty...for now." He glanced over at Gui.

Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:53 pm
by Philulhu
Gui affected to ignore the glance in his direction though his jaw tightened as attempted to keep his smile in place.

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:22 am
by Snapper
Jacques:

Jacques smiles at no one in particular. "A very positive incentive to walk the honest path."

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:19 pm
by Philulhu
Gui affected a bored yawn, while rolling his eyes at anyone who was looking.

Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:26 pm
by aine
Elizabeth smothers a smile.
“Henri, will we be allowed a sneak preview of the stage for tomorrow’s performance?”

Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:19 pm
by Mr. Handy
"The stage has already been constructed to the players' specifications and is currently in storage, Mademoiselle," said Henri. "The storage areas downstairs are not part of the tour. It will be moved to the Great Hall shortly before the performance tomorrow evening."

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:09 am
by Snapper
Jacques:

Jacques doesn't look very excited by the whole play discussion.

"And what's around this turn to the right?" He asks politely.

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:38 pm
by aine
As they continue, Elizabeth says to Gui in a low voice,
“If you see any useful routes that might lead down to the storage area, could you let me know?”

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:26 am
by Mr. Handy
"The hall to the right leads down the east wing of the chateau," said Henri. "It goes past the kitchens, to the southeast corner, where there's another set of stairs. This way, please." He continued his backwards walk around the corner and down the hall.

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:34 am
by Snapper
Jacques:

Jacques follows along. "I must get in some practice with the sword this afternoon. I am getting soft."

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:37 am
by Philulhu
Gui yawned while racking his brains. Where was Seigneur Éclat-Cœur when you needed him?

Not for nothing was he known as the best sword, the best shot, the best sailor and the best kisser in the kingdom. He could show that pompous braggart a thing or two, thought Gui

Posted: Thu May 05, 2022 6:02 pm
by aine
“When was the chateau built?” Elizabeth asks Henri. “And does it have many ghosts?”

Posted: Fri May 06, 2022 3:15 am
by Mr. Handy
"The Chateau was built back in the days of Charlemagne," said Henry. "As for ghosts, well, some guests have reported they've heard someone - or something - moving around behind the walls."

Posted: Fri May 06, 2022 7:47 pm
by Philulhu
”’Something’, monsieur?” said Gui. ”That makes it sound as if whatever is making the noise is not human.”

Posted: Sat May 07, 2022 4:03 am
by Mr. Handy
"Ah, well it could be rats crawling around back there," said Henri, giving Gui a knowing look. "While the Duc has a number of cats prowling around to reduce their numbers, there are always places too small for them to fit."

Posted: Sat May 07, 2022 10:20 am
by Philulhu
Gui gave Henri a flat look. He guessed that the servant was talking about him but wasn’t going to rise to the bait.

”lf there are passages in the walls then it is unlikely to be ghosts. Most likely servants scurrying to do their master’s bidding, than a spectre haunting its former home.”

Posted: Sat May 07, 2022 5:36 pm
by Mr. Handy
"Most likely," said Henri. "If it isn't guests poking about where they're not supposed to go."

He continued down the hall past several doors on the right, from one of which came the tempting smell of food.

Posted: Sun May 08, 2022 4:49 am
by Snapper
Jacques:

"I've never seen a ghost," Jacques adds conversationally (but reflexively he kisses his St John's Cross ring), "But they are said to be unquiet souls who have been forbidden the reward of Heaven yet not claimed by Hell." He looks at L'Argot pointedly.

"On the other hand, I have seen a lot of rats..."

Posted: Sun May 08, 2022 9:42 am
by Philulhu
”I always say that the measure of a gentleman is the company that he keeps,” replied Gui with a sly grin.

Posted: Sun May 08, 2022 9:49 pm
by aine
Elizabeth hides a smile with her hand. Touché she thinks. Aloud she says,
“Is that the way to the kitchens, Henri?” Pointing towards the appetising smell.

Posted: Mon May 09, 2022 2:44 am
by Mr. Handy
"It is indeed, Mademoiselle," said Henri. "The servants will be enjoying their luncheon there now that they are done serving you."

Posted: Wed May 11, 2022 1:26 am
by Snapper
Jacques:

The chevalier is starting to gaze restlessly out of windows. "A most excellent tour of this beautiful chateaux. Have we about finished? I really should get in some practice otherwise my swing always starts to hook to the right." Jacques mimes a sword swing with his right arm by way of demonstration.

Posted: Wed May 11, 2022 2:04 am
by Mr. Handy
"We'll be at the entrance soon," said Henri, leading the way to another tower, where stairs led up and down in a spiral. The hall turned a corner to the right. "From there you'll be free to go practice your swordplay, though anyone who wishes a tour of the grounds will be welcome to accompany me. This is the southeast tower. Above are the chambers of the Duc and his family, and below are storage areas."

Posted: Wed May 11, 2022 7:46 am
by Philulhu
”I am happy to continue the tour, monsieur,” said Gui. The fact that Jacques was absenting himself to wave his sword around was a bonus…

Posted: Fri May 13, 2022 1:53 am
by Snapper
Jacques:

Jacques brightens at the mention of outside. "Oh, a tour of the grounds outside sounds interesting. Out in the fresh air. I can hold off training a bit longer."

Posted: Fri May 13, 2022 6:51 am
by Philulhu
Gui sighed loudly, rolling his eyes at anyone looking his way. Why wouldn’t the infernal sword-waggler just leave them in peace?

Posted: Fri May 13, 2022 7:29 pm
by aine
Elizabeth‘s ears prick up:
“The storage area is under the southeastern tower, I shall remember that if I get the opportunity to visit later.” She muses.
“I too would like some fresh air.” She says out loud.

Posted: Sat May 14, 2022 1:20 am
by Mr. Handy
"This way, then," said Henri, leading the group around the corner and down the hall. Soon they arrived at the chateau's entry hall. "Ahead of us, the hall leads to the Duc's library. He has a wide variety of reading materials that you're free to peruse as his guests. To the right is the Great Hall, from which stairs ascend to the living quarters, and the doors to the left lead outside."

Posted: Sun May 15, 2022 1:25 am
by Snapper
Jacques:

Jacques looks towards the library with interest. "I will examine this library at some stage but for now I need to stretch my legs out of doors." He heads towards the left.

Posted: Wed May 18, 2022 6:48 pm
by aine
“I would definitely like to browse the library later but the fine weather is calling!”
Elizabeth follows outside.

Posted: Mon May 23, 2022 2:34 am
by Mr. Handy
Henri led the way outside of the chateau. The sun was in the east now, but still fairly high in the sky. It was a nice day, with the warmth of spring starting to chase away the chill. The skies were clear and blue. "As you leave the palace," he said, "there are gardens and a hedge maze to your right. On the other side there are vineyards, from which we produce the fine wine we serve. Behind the chateau is a lake, which has a small shrine beside it."

Posted: Mon May 23, 2022 9:07 am
by Snapper
Jacques:

"I visited the shrine this morning on my ride, it was a fine place to spend a few moments in quiet prayer."

Posted: Mon May 23, 2022 7:01 pm
by aine
Elizabeth glances at Jaques with surprise; she hadn’t thought him so religious.
“Oo, a maze- how exciting !” She says out loud.

Posted: Mon May 23, 2022 10:02 pm
by Philulhu
”A maze? That does sound interesting,” said Gui. ‘And if a certain pompous ass got lost, that would be no loss…’

Posted: Tue May 24, 2022 2:42 am
by Mr. Handy
"It is," said Henri, "but it is probably best explored in the morning, lest one get lost. Though I'm sure Master Leonardo would have no difficulty in finding his way back out of it."

Posted: Tue May 24, 2022 8:50 am
by Snapper
Jacques:

Jacques is happier now he's out in the fresh air. "Should you wish to explore the maze now, Miss Elizabeth? I would be happy to accompany you, of course. Otherwise, we could plan to visit it after breakfast tomorrow."

Posted: Wed May 25, 2022 3:26 am
by Mr. Handy
"I would gladly accompany you as well, Signorina Elizabeth," adds Diego.

Posted: Wed May 25, 2022 5:35 pm
by aine
“We might be too busy tomorrow so perhaps we should try it now. Surely between us we can’t get too lost.”
Elizabeth smiles at Jaques and Diego.
“Henri, is there anything at the centre or something specific to look for on the way round?”

Posted: Thu May 26, 2022 3:23 am
by Mr. Handy
"There is something to be seen at the center of the maze," said Henri, "but I don't want to ruin the surprise." He led the way around the side of the chateau. On that side lovely gardens were visible, and beyond them the entrance to the hedge maze.

Posted: Thu May 26, 2022 10:08 am
by Snapper
Jacques:

"Well, we have to go explore the maze now, don't we? We should be able to solve it as a group and if not, the Duc will send out a search party before we miss dinner."

Posted: Thu May 26, 2022 11:47 pm
by Philulhu
Gui rolled his eyes at anyone who would listen. If Jacques got lost in the maze, he shouldn’t think anyone would miss him.

”How about a wager?” he suggested. ‘A bottle of wine to the first person who reaches the centre?’

Posted: Sat May 28, 2022 3:27 am
by Snapper
Jacques:

"Perhaps, this might be an occasion where working together would be more enjoyable than competing with each other? Not everything need be a contest."

Posted: Sat May 28, 2022 9:41 pm
by aine
Elizabeth shakes her head with a smile and peers into the entrance of the maze.
“Let’s at least start together and then see what happens.”

Posted: Sat May 28, 2022 10:26 pm
by Mr. Handy
Henri led the way through the gardens, beyond which was the entrance to the maze. "If you wish to enter the maze, you may," he said. "I'll be continuing the tour with everyone who does not. I'll meet you back here when I'm done. If you're not out of the maze, I'll come in and find you. I have it memorized."

Everyone entering the maze may roll Idea.

Posted: Sun May 29, 2022 2:46 am
by Snapper
Jacques:

1d%d60%

Posted: Sun May 29, 2022 3:04 am
by Mr. Handy

Jacques knew how to solve a maze of this sort. One would choose either the left or the right wall and follow it consistently. There would be some wrong turns and dead ends along the way, but eventually one would come to the end. If the maze was constructed with loops this might not work, but these sorts of hedge mazes seldom were.

Posted: Sun May 29, 2022 4:18 am
by Snapper
Jacques:

"I believe the trick with these is to take every right turning and follow the wall. Or hedge in fact. Eventually, we will find our way."

Posted: Sun May 29, 2022 9:05 am
by Philulhu
Idea (65%) 1d100

Posted: Sun May 29, 2022 9:08 am
by Philulhu
Idea (65%) 1d100

”Non, non, non, Monsieur!” replied Gui confidently, shaking his head at Jacques’ suggestion. ”Creeping around the edges like a timid spinster? Far better to head for the heart of the maze and we will surely determine our way from there!”

Posted: Mon May 30, 2022 1:01 pm
by Snapper
Jacques:

Jacques is attempting to practise restraint when it comes to L'Argot.
He politely gestures for Gui to enter. "As you choose. You are under no obligation to follow my suggestions."

Posted: Mon May 30, 2022 10:37 pm
by Philulhu
” Suivez-moi!” replied Gui blithely, setting off into the maze and beckoning the others to follow.

Posted: Tue May 31, 2022 7:15 pm
by aine
Idea 65, roll: 43

Elizabeth steps into the maze.
“What are the mazes like in Spain and Portugal, Diego, is there a trick to those too?”

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:31 am
by Mr. Handy
"They are rather similar, Elizabeth," said Diego. "I believe the Chevalier has the right idea." Elizabeth also realized that he was correct. Story, Brook, and Jean Luc also entered the maze with them, but the others had elected to continue the tour with Henri.

Diego's Idea roll in the maze:
d%

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:40 pm
by Snapper
Jacques:

"I believe I shall continue with my plan of staying by the right wall but please feel under no obligation to walk with me. All roads lead to Rome, as they say."

He proceeds inwards, following his plan, with whoever wishes to come with him.

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:08 am
by Philulhu
Gui laughed disparagingly at Jacques’ words as he pushed on for the heart of the maze… …

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:50 pm
by aine
“Oh dear, I hope he doesn’t get too lost.” Elizabeth says as Gui disappears around the corner.
“Hopefully we’ll bump into him in a minute.” She hurries after Jaques and Diego.

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:09 am
by Mr. Handy

Everyone, please roll Navigate.

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:38 am
by Snapper
Jacques:

1d%10%
OOC:   So close!  

Jacques is used to traveling along main thoroughfares to major destinations, or else having experts among the men to help.

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:12 pm
by aine
“Shall we go this way?” Elizabeth points to a new path once they are round the corner. “It looks to me like people have been this way before.”

Navigate 10. Roll: 100

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:35 pm
by Philulhu
Base chance - 10% skill! 1d100

Also close!

Gui pushed on, sure that he was heading in the right direction while the others would get lost. It was a shame for the women that they had followed the horse’s arse…

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:19 pm
by Mr. Handy
Jacques led Story, Elizabeth, Brook, and Diego down the right-hand branch, while Jean Luc followed Gui straight toward the center.

Story's Navigate roll (10% base skill) in the maze:
d%
Brook's Navigate roll (10% base skill) in the maze:
d%
Jean Luc's Navigate roll (10% base skill) in the maze:
d%
Diego's Navigate roll (10% base skill) in the maze:
d%

Gui and Jean Luc are moving to the thread linked below:

Lost

Everyone else is moving to the thread linked below:

The Heart of the Maze