Page 1 of 1

IC-Ep 1-The Rats in the Walls(Story/Elizabeth/Brook/Gui)

Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:31 pm
by Mr. Handy
Duc's Palace, Guest Quarters - Vyones, Auvergne, France
7:30 AM - Monday, April 20, 1517

Gui slowly emerged from the open wall panel and into the main room of the guest suite, his hands open at his sides, where Story, Elizabeth, and Brook stood, now dressed in more traditional clothing. The blue box he had last seen with them in Leonardo da Vinci's workshop was also present in the room.

”Please forgive my interruption, Mesdamoiselles," he said. "I found the passage and decided to explore. It seems you did the same."

“Oh great, it’s that creep,” Brook muttered. “What are you doing skulking behind these walls?” she challenged.

Re: IC-Ep 1-The Rats in the Walls(Story/Elizabeth/Brook/Gui)

Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:38 pm
by aine
“Is it him? Is he the Father?” Elizabeth breathes a question. She’s looking at Gui with some alarm.

Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:51 pm
by Philulhu
”I wasn’t skulking, I was exploring,” replied Gui pointedly, to the young woman with the short, dark hair.

He glanced at the curly haired woman. ”Father?” he said quizzically. “I am no one’s father,” he replied. Secretly, he hoped that was true. He couldn’t discount the possibility but he hadn’t stayed around anywhere long enough to find out…

Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:41 am
by SunlessNick

Story shakes her head as if trying to clear it. "He seems ok with the light," she says to Liz. To Gui she adds, "Was it you we just saw with the candle?"

Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:32 am
by Philulhu
”It was,Mademoiselle,” replied Gui, showing her the candle holder. ”I found an entrance to the passageway in my room, as I presume you did too.”

Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:41 am
by jp1885

“Yeah,” Brook interjects after casting a worried glance at Story.

“We heard movement; I guess it was you; and found a secret door. I suppose old places like this must be riddled with secret passages and that.”

“Question is: do we explore?”

Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:29 am
by SunlessNick

Story makes a visible effort to get her fear under control. "I suppose we have as much reason to do so as we did before. It would be worth knowing whether a passage leads into the room with the automaton. But we need to take plenty of light."

Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:50 am
by Philulhu
”I have plenty of candles,Mademoiselle,” replied Gui, emptying his pockets. He paused for a moment. He hadn’t been especially quiet when moving about, he had just thought ‘out of sight, out of mind’.

”If you heard me moving about, perhaps we should be extra careful not to make a noise?” he suggested.

Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:40 pm
by aine
“Perhaps you would like to lead the way, Monsieur Gui?”
Elizabeth smiles sweetly.

Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:20 pm
by Philulhu
Gui quickly re-lit his candle and stepped back into the doorway to the passage. ”Follow me, Mesdemoiselles,” he said, holding his finger to his lips, and he ducked out of sight opting to explore in the other direction.

Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:18 pm
by Mr. Handy

Gui and anyone else following him into the passage, please roll Listen.

Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:57 am
by SunlessNick

Rolled 20.

Story is still alert for sounds.

Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:53 am
by jp1885

[56] = 56
Listen 55 d%: [ 56 ] = 56
Fail (just!)

Brook is too preoccupied with moving stealthily to hear anything.

Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:48 pm
by aine
listen 50 roll:63

Elizabeth has a candle and puts a spare into her pocket. She steps into the passageway but doesn’t hear anything.
Could Elizabeth find half a box of safety matches in her pocket?

Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:16 pm
by Philulhu
(35%) 1d100

With the extra bodies and shuffling feet in the passageway, Gui couldn’t hear anything else.

Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:28 am
by Mr. Handy
The foursome proceeded down the secret passage to another panel beyond the suite of Story and her companions, to the right. The passage reached a dead end here.

Yes, Elizabeth can have matches. If she hadn't had them on her before, she could have easily gotten them from the TARDIS.

Story could hear a man's voice chanting on the other side of the panel. While she could not make out the words, the language sounded Middle Eastern.

Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:51 am
by SunlessNick

"Someone's chanting," Story whispers (fairly confident that if none of the others can't hear it, it means sound can't penetrate the walls very easily). "I'm not sure what he's saying, but it's not in French."

Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:33 am
by Philulhu
Gui carefully set his ear against the panel, to see if he could hear what was being said on the other side…

Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:12 pm
by jp1885

Curious, Brook does likewise.

Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:55 pm
by aine
“Not French?” Elizabeth whispers, “That doesn’t bode well. Unless it’s Latin or Greek which will be common with scholars and the like.”
She too listens hard.

Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:00 am
by SunlessNick

"Arabic or Hebrew, maybe," Story replies, figuring those for the most likely Middle Eastern languages to be spoken in this place and time.

Presumably the TARDIS would translate a regular human language if we could make out the words - would it also allow us to ID the language itself? The series suggests not, since it rarely seems to occur to companions that the people they talk to aren't speaking English.

Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:10 am
by Mr. Handy
There was now only silence on the other side of the wall.

You have it right, Story. You can only hope to identify a language through accent or tone, the same as non-time travelers do. Since your Listen success wasn't better, you couldn't hear the actual words. A Know roll will help you identify the language, and in your case that's practically an automatic success, though you may make the roll anyway. A better success will give you more information. With a normal success, which you'll presumably get, you can figure that it is probably either Arabic or Hebrew as you surmised.

The chanting had stopped.

Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:13 am
by SunlessNick

"It's stopped."

Rolled 27 for Know.

Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:15 am
by Philulhu
”But what does that mean?” asked Gui, moving back from the panel so his whispering wouldn’t be transmitted to the other side.

”And why did they stop? Do you think they may have heard us?” He stepped forward to listen again at the panel, to see what he could hear from the room beyond.

(35%) 1d100

Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:52 am
by jp1885

“We’ve not exactly been quiet I suppose,” Brook whispers in reply.

“I wonder if there’s another secret door around here? If whoever it is comes out after us, we could get the jump on them if we can find it.”

Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:59 pm
by aine
Elizabeth flutters her hands, trying to signal total silence for a few minutes. She continues listening, trying to hear more than just her heart thudding.
50 roll: 15

Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:29 am
by SunlessNick

Rolled 15 for Listen.

Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:04 am
by Mr. Handy
The mechanism to open the hidden panel was clearly visible from within the passage. The catch on the other side, if it was like the ones in their rooms, would be hidden.

I already had everyone roll Listen not that long ago, so the original roll still applies for each of you.

Story could hear someone walking around in the room on the other side of the wall. There was only one person as far as she could tell. The brief chant was definitely Hebrew, but there was also a hint of Spanish to it.

Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:20 am
by Philulhu
Gui stepped back from the wall and beckoned the others closer. ”They may be aware of us,” he whispered. ”Perhaps we should go back and try and find out who has the room next to you?”

Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:21 pm
by aine
“How about two go and knock on their door and two stay here and listen what happens? A two pronged attack as it were.” Whispers Elizabeth. “I’m happy to stay here.”

Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:41 am
by SunlessNick

"I'll go knock," Story says, a somewhat shamefaced expression on her face.

Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:25 pm
by jp1885

“I’ll stick with you,” Brook tells Story.

Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:08 pm
by Mr. Handy
While Elizabeth and Gui waited in the secret passage and listened, Story and Brook returned back down the passage, went through their own room and out into the hall, and proceeded down the hall in the same direction to the door of the next guest chamber. Story knocked on the door, and a moment later a tall man with Spanish features opened it. He had dark hair and a thin mustache, and he was well-dressed for court. "Good morning, ladies," he said with a bow. "I am Don Diego Vega de Almeida de la Cruz. To whom have I the pleasure of speaking?"

Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:57 am
by SunlessNick

"You can call me Story, and this is my friend Brook."

Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:07 am
by Mr. Handy
"What may I do for you, Senorina Story?" asked Diego.

Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:39 am
by jp1885

Brook smiles when she is introduced, but keeps quiet, lest she contradicts whatever Story is planning to say.

Instead, she tries to take a sneaky look behind the man, into his room.

Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:08 pm
by SunlessNick

"There was some sort of commotion in the night," Story says. "I was wondering if you might have heard anything of what occurred."

Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:49 am
by Mr. Handy
"I heard nothing and slept soundly," said Diego. "Why, what has happened?"

Story and Brook, you may both roll Spot Hidden.

Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:28 am
by SunlessNick

"That was precisely what I was hoping you might know," Story smiles. "You hail from Spain?"

Rolled 36 against Spot Hidden 38.

Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:12 am
by Mr. Handy
"I was born in Almeida," said Diego, "which is on the Portuguese side of the border with Spain, but more recently I have lived in Spain. My father is Spanish, and my mother Portuguese. And whence do you hail, Signorina?"

Story noticed what looked like a fringed shawl left haphazardly across the back of a chair.

Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:59 am
by jp1885

[41] = 41
Spot hidden 60 d%: [ 41 ] = 41

While the Spaniard gives his life-story, Brook casually steps to one side, angling herself to get a better look at his room through the door.

Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:37 am
by SunlessNick

"I travel a great deal," Story says, "but I most recently lived in London."

Story presumes the shawl and the Hebrew chanting mean that Diego is a Jew, but probably won't want attention drawn to the fact, so she won't mention anything of it.

Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:14 am
by Mr. Handy
"Ah, I've never been to London," said Diego, "but I have heard tales. What is it like there?"

That's a good presumption.

Brook noticed what looked like a fringed shawl left haphazardly across the back of a chair.

Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:44 am
by jp1885

Seeing nothing that screams ‘occult magister’, Brook relaxes.

“I’m from London too. It’s a very crowded, very busy place,” she says, assuming that the city is a major metropolis, even in Renaissance times.

Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:37 pm
by aine
Can Gui and Elizabeth hear the conversation?

Elizabeth spends the time looking for any latches or spy holes into the room.
Spot hidden 55 roll:11

Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:02 am
by SunlessNick

Rolled 52 vs History 55.

"It has not yet been greatly touched by the Renaissance," Story adds, "though I have some hopes that will change in the years to come. I am sorry to have disturbed you."

Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:29 am
by Mr. Handy
Elizabeth could easily see the hidden catch that would open the secret door. She also found a knothole in the wood through which she was able to peek into the room and see Diego from behind at the door to his chamber.

"Do not worry, you have not disturbed me," said Diego. "It was a pleasure to meet you."

Yes, Elizabeth and Gui can overhear the conversation.

Story was aware that in 1492, Spain had ordered all Jews in the country to either convert or leave the country. Some had only pretended to convert and practiced their religion in secret, often continuing to raise their children as Jews. Given Diego's age, he was probably very young when this had happened. The secrecy was paramount, as if the Inquisition got wind of their true faith, they risked death or worse. Even in another country, Diego was still apparently exercising caution for fear that word would spread by only practicing his faith when he thought nobody could see or hear.

Elizabeth noticed what looked like a fringed shawl left haphazardly across the back of a chair.

Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:28 am
by SunlessNick

"And you, Don Diego," Story says. She bids him good day and takes her leave, though slowly enough for Brook to interrupt if she wants to say anything else herself. Once they're back in their room, she'll fill Brook in on what she gleaned.

Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:34 am
by Philulhu
”Let us return to your room, Mademoiselle,” Gui whispered to Elizabeth. ”We shall see if your friends have learned anything of interest.”

Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:12 am
by jp1885

Brook also steps away to take her leave, turning to Story when the coast is clear.

“Seemed legit to me, I think. Did you notice anything unusual?”

Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:19 am
by SunlessNick

"I saw a prayer shawl. He's Jewish, which means he was most likely driven out of Spain."

Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:12 am
by jp1885

“Oh, okay. I guess he was praying then? Let’s get back to the passageway; I don’t want to leave Elizabeth alone with that guy for too long.”

Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:24 pm
by Mr. Handy
Elizabeth and Gui returned to the ladies' guest suite at about the same time as Story and Brook. allowing them all to confer.

Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:57 pm
by Philulhu
”Did you see anything of note?” asked Gui. ”We could hear what was being said, but nothing seemed amiss.”

Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:40 pm
by jp1885

Unsure whether Jews are treated as badly in Renaissance France as they obviously are in Spain, Brook hedges her answer.

“No, nothing out of the ordinary; some Spanish geezer: another guest of the Duc.”

Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:50 pm
by Philulhu
”Geezer?” replied Gui with a puzzled look on his face. ”What is a ‘Geezer’?” He hadn’t heard the term before.

Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:55 pm
by jp1885

“A bloke, um, a guy,” Brook replies, amused. “London slang for a man.”

Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:11 am
by SunlessNick

"We saw no sign of anything sinister," Story adds.

Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:54 am
by Philulhu
Gui shrugged. These unusual women, with their clothes and their strange turn of phrase.

”Perhaps we should explore the other way?” he asked, with what he hoped was a winning smile. ”Perhaps the poor fellow from last night knew about these passages and we might find out how he found his way to Monsieur da Vinci’s room?”

He wasn’t sure what that would tell them. Gui was just hoping that he might have something that might distract from the matter of his own midnight excursion should he have to explain himself to the Duc…

Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:41 am
by jp1885

“Wouldn’t hurt to explore a little further,” concurs Brook.

Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:37 am
by SunlessNick

Story swallows and nods, telling herself she must have imagined the Father of All Bats's presence before.

Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:27 am
by Philulhu
”Very good!” said Gui briskly. ”I shall lead the way.”

He re-lit his candle, shielding it with his hand lest it blow out as he walked around, then stepped back through the entrance to the passage behind the wall. ”Follow me,” he said quietly, looking up and down the passage, making sure no one else had entered while they had been occupied with the Spaniard.

Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:40 pm
by Mr. Handy
The passage was still deserted except for the foursome, which proceeded down the passage in the opposite direction, soon reaching the secret door leading back to Gui's room, beyond which the hall continued.

Everyone, please roll Listen.

Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:51 pm
by Philulhu
35% 1d100

Non…

Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:23 pm
by jp1885
[68] = 68
Listen 55 d%: [ 68 ] = 68

Me neither.

Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:58 pm
by aine
roll:86
Ditto

Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:09 am
by SunlessNick
99. Looks like Story's alertness as faded.

Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:57 am
by Mr. Handy
Beyond the panel leading to Gui's room was the one leading to an unknown room that he had found before, beyond which he had previously heard the sound of someone eating. There was only silence now.

Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:03 am
by SunlessNick

"Did you find any eyeholes in these panels?" Story asks Elizabeth and Gui.

Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:09 pm
by Philulhu
Gui shook his head. ”I didn’t think to check,” he said quietly.

He carefully started to search the panel in front of him.

Spot hidden (50%) 1d100

Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:46 pm
by jp1885

[3] = 3
Spot hidden 60 d%: [ 3 ] = 3

“Hey, like eyeholes in creepy paintings and that - cool; I’m gonna check too!” enthuses Brook.

Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:09 am
by SunlessNick

Rolled 84 vs Spot Hidden 38. The dark must be getting to Story again.

Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:56 am
by Mr. Handy
Brook quickly found a knothole in the wall at eye level. Peering through it, she could see a guest chamber like the others she had seen, though this one was deserted.

Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:45 am
by jp1885

“Another chamber, just like ours,” Brook whispers as she peers through the spy hole, imagining her eyes darting back and forth in a spooky painting, like in the movies.

“It looks empty,” she concludes. “How far does this passageway go I wonder?”

Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:46 pm
by Philulhu
”There is only one way to find out, Mademoiselle whispered Gui, looking beyond Brook, trying to simultaneously cast some light further down the corridor while shielding it so it didn’t illuminate the spy hole from behind.

Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:07 pm
by aine
Someone wants to spy on all the guests; let’s find out who it is!” Elizabeth whispers.

Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:40 pm
by Mr. Handy
Further ahead, the candlelight revealed the four-way intersection that Gui had seen before. There was no sign of anyone else in the passage.

Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:36 am
by jp1885

“Maybe the Duc’s a bit of a perv,” Brook replies. “Unless these passages are part of the original building, instead of being built recently,” she muses.

Reaching the crossroads, she stops to inspect the stonework. Is the passage old and worn or are the bricks new-looking?

“Speaking of the Duc, aren’t we supposed to be meeting him soon?”

Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:57 pm
by Mr. Handy
The passages, like the parts of the palace available to the public, did appear to have aged somewhat.

Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:09 pm
by aine
“If we don’t have long we could split between the passages. Monsieur Gui, which way did you come from?”
Elizabeth looks at her watch and remembers to wind it up.

Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:34 pm
by Philulhu
Gui pointed in the direction of his room. ”From that direction, Mademoiselle he said.

He looked around. ”I have to admit, I am not sure where these lead?”

Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:08 pm
by Mr. Handy

Gui's room is back the way you came. He already rolled Navigate earlier and failed, but the rest of you may try.

Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:31 am
by SunlessNick

"I think we should stay together," Story says. "We can always come back if we need to."

Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:00 pm
by jp1885

[84] = 84
Navigate 10 d%: [ 84 ] = 84

“I could get lost in a broom cupboard,” sighs Brook. “So sticking together suits me.”

Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:59 pm
by aine
“It’s probably for the best.” Elizabeth agrees; all the passages look the same.” She looks in her pocket. “I haven’t got anything we could use to Mark our own passage either.
We shall follow you, Monsieur Gui!”
Navigate roll: 60. Luck for finding something useful in her pocket, roll: 77

Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:09 pm
by Philulhu
”I came from the direction of my room, Mademoiselle,” said Gui, pointing the way they had come. He looked around the intersection.

”Let’s go this way, shall we?” he said, pointing to the passage on the left.

Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:01 pm
by Mr. Handy
The group proceeded down the left branch. Before long, it came across another secret panel in the wall, much like the others.

Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:38 pm
by Philulhu
Holding up a finger to request silence, Gui carefully placed his ear against the panel to listen for noise on the other side.

(35%) 1d100

Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:04 am
by Mr. Handy
There was no sound from the other side of the panel.

Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:02 am
by SunlessNick

Sorry, I missed the call for a Navigate roll. 44 against Navigate 10. And Luck 94 vs 70 for having anything useful for marking our route.

"Anything?" she whispers to Gui.

Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:06 am
by Mr. Handy
You may all roll Idea about marking your path.

Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:12 am
by SunlessNick
55 vs Idea 65 for Story

Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:36 am
by jp1885

[48] = 48
Spot hidden 60 d%: [ 48 ] = 48

Brook tries her luck at looking for another set of eye-holes.

“I wonder how long it’ll be before sometime comes looking for us…” she muses.

Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:18 pm
by Philulhu
Gui stepped back and examined the panel, looking for an eyehole.

Spot hidden (50%) 1d100

Edit: Gui would struggle to find his ‘eyehole’ with both hands and a map, with that roll! :roll:

Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:21 pm
by Mr. Handy
Brook found another knothole at eye level and peeked through it. It seemed that these holes were placed by design, and she would have no problem finding them at each panel in these passages.

Story realized that they could use a simple knife to mark their way in the passages, though the damage to the wooden interior walls would be obvious and may not be appreciated. It would also be possible to return to the TARDIS to fetch something like chalk to mark their path in a nondestructive manner. Finally, it occurred to her that Brook had a good point.

Brook found that she was looking into Leonardo da Vinci's workshop. There was nobody present in her view.

Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:48 pm
by jp1885

“It’s Da Vinci’s workshop,” Brook whispers as she squints through the holes. “Seems empty.”

Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:12 am
by SunlessNick

"Brook's right," Story says. "We should probably return before someone discovers that we've found these. And next time we can bring something to mark our way."

Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:33 am
by Philulhu
A thought occurred to Gui. He gently eased the candle from the candle holder and used the unlit end to mark a line on the panel.

Is the mark visible?

Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:40 pm
by Mr. Handy
Gui left a small streak of wax on the wall. It was difficult to see unless the candle was close to it, but it could suffice.

Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:11 pm
by aine
“Da Vinci would have been proud of that idea, Monsieur.” Elizabeth murmurs as she watched Gui.
“Have we time to try the passage opposite this one?”

Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:11 pm
by jp1885

“We could poke around all day, but we’re still in our normal clothes and eventually we’d be discovered. We’re gonna have to answer enough questions as it is,” Brook replies.

“As much as lurking around secret is passages is pretty cool,” she continues, with a grin.

Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:37 am
by Philulhu
Gui bowed to Elizabeth with a smile, then marked the panel to Da Vinci’s room with a ‘D’.

”I think we might explore further,” he said to Brook, ”It may help us find out who the thief was last night.” ‘Well, the other thief,’ he thought to himself. He needed something to distract from his own presence in Da Vinci’s room last night…

Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:26 pm
by SunlessNick
jp1885 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:11 pm“We could poke around all day, but we’re still in our normal clothes and eventually we’d be discovered. We’re gonna have to answer enough questions as it is,” Brook replies.
Story had the TARDIS fabricate some period clothes (although they're made of lighter material and a little bigger on the inside, so it's easier to move in them).

"I do think it might be worth not letting the residents know we're aware of these passages for now." Story says.

Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:45 pm
by jp1885

Ah, I missed that! Brook must’ve forgotten in all the excitement.

“Okay, how about we compromise and check out one more room? Then we can head back?” Brook suggests.

Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:30 pm
by Philulhu
Gui nodded. That got his vote.

Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:23 am
by SunlessNick

Story nods too.

Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:09 pm
by aine
Elizabeth leads the way back to the intersection and takes the opposite passage.

Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:53 pm
by Philulhu
Gui stopped briefly to make a mark on the wall with the candle so they could re-trace their steps if necessary.

Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:04 am
by Mr. Handy
Passing through the intersection and continuing down the passage, the group soon saw that it came to an end at a steep, narrow staircase that both ascended and descended.

Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:34 pm
by jp1885

“Upstairs or downstairs… I vote up,” says Brook.

Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:40 pm
by aine
“Okay, up we go.” Elizabeth starts to climb.

Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:16 pm
by Philulhu
Gui makes a mark on the wall (although he will be surprised if they cannot remember whether they went up or down) and follows Elizabeth.

Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:56 am
by Mr. Handy
The narrow stairway wound around a central circular column, soon ending on the floor above. A similar passage to the one downstairs led away, and a short distance along it was another hidden panel like the ones below. The passage continued beyond it.

Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:29 pm
by jp1885

Brook, now knowing roughly where the spy holes are likely to be, tries to see into the room beyond.

Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:41 pm
by Philulhu
”It seems to me that anyone who knows of these passages might use them. The gentleman last night might have come from any one of these rooms,” said Gui quietly. ”Assuming of course, that he was a guest. He may have made his way from outside the house.”

He looked around thoughtfully. “May I suggest, Mesdemoiselles, that we separate and search more quickly? I think all we can hope for is that the thief left a clue to his room and from there we can identify who he was.”

Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:46 pm
by SunlessNick

Story doesn't look too happy at the idea, but says, "Very well."

Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:09 pm
by aine
“It might be best; time is ticking on.” Agrees Elizabeth. “If it’s the same as below then there will be three passages up ahead. There is also down the stairs.”

Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:31 pm
by jp1885

“We’ll I’m not going downwards; I’ve seen enough movies to know not to go into the cellar,” Brook declares, forgetting that not everyone in the party knows what a movie is.

“So I’ll stay on this level. Who’s coming with?”

Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:29 am
by Philulhu
Gui glanced at the others to see if they were volunteering, then said, ”I will come with you, Mademoiselles. You will be safe with me.”

Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:18 am
by Mr. Handy
Peering through a knothole, Brook saw that there was a circular room on the other side of the panel containing a single door. Barrels and crates were stacked within. Nobody was in the round room at the moment.

Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:42 am
by jp1885

“Looks like a storeroom of some kind,” announces Brook.

She turns to Gui. “Come on then, but no funny business.”

Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:44 am
by Philulhu
Affronted by the suggestion, Gui spluttered, ”As if, Mademoiselles! I give you my word as a gentleman that nothing untoward will happen to you!”

Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:58 pm
by SunlessNick

If Brook is heading up, Story heads down.

Posted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:07 pm
by aine
“One would assume this leads to the servants’ quarters.” Elizabeth whispers, not fully understanding Brook’s reference, as she follows Story down and down again.

Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:32 am
by SunlessNick

"If so, it may tell us something about the purpose of these passages if the servants have entrances too."

Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:48 am
by jp1885

Brook nods.

“Right, c’mon Gui, let’s do this.”

“Where and when shall we meet back up? In our room?”

Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:46 pm
by Philulhu
”As you wish, Mademoiselles,” replied Gui.

Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:13 pm
by aine
“Okay!” Elizabeth whispers back as she follows Story back down the stairs.

Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:53 am
by Mr. Handy

Brook and Gui are moving to the thread linked below:

Upstairs

Story and Elizabeth are moving to the thread linked below:

Downstairs