Page 1 of 1

Arrival

Posted: Sat May 07, 2022 9:22 am
by kabukiman
"But captain, the ship really need these new parts or we may never be able to fly again!"- screamed Kathy
"And that is the reason why I need that you keep the ship flying, so we arrive at our destiny, unload the spices, and get the money to buy, whateaver that you say! But we must arrive at the planet, so return to the engines and do your magic!"- said the captain in a much more calm voice.
She looked at him, mumbled an "Ay captain" and left the room.
The captain turned to Mary and told her to make the jump and then left the cockpit.
Tanaka started to push nervously he bottons; latelly the ship didn't respond very well...
Ota heard all the discussion and saw the captain leaving Tanaka, the young pilot alone.

OOC: Mr Handy, roll 2d6, need a 8 to pass, you have +1 of bonus from pilot.
Philulhu, you are free to do whateaver you want.

Re: Arrival

Posted: Sat May 07, 2022 10:16 am
by Philulhu
Ota tried not to roll his eyes. ”Steady now, pilot!” Let’s not have a repeat of Ivendo…”

Posted: Sat May 07, 2022 5:39 pm
by Mr. Handy

"It wouldn't have happened if you hadn't distracted me at a key moment, sir," says Mary Tanaka as she operates the controls expertly.

Pilot roll (+1) to make the jump:
2d6+1

Posted: Sat May 07, 2022 7:27 pm
by kabukiman
The ship went to hyperspace without any problem and you think that Kathy is probably overeacting. After some time, you leave hyperspace, and you arrive near planet xotli: it has a brown colour in most of the planet, with white at the north and very small pieces of blue. You call the captain, who makes all the the talking with the control station. After he finishes, he ttel you:
"See? There was nothing to worry about, everything is going fine. After selling the spices, with the money we make the repairs, and buy ore here and go sell it to an industrial planet who will pay a fortune for it"
You land the ship, but notice something strange: there are too much ships in the spaceport of a planet like this.

Posted: Sat May 07, 2022 9:06 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We've got a lot of company," says Mary. "Maybe they struck a valuable new vein and word got out."

Posted: Sun May 08, 2022 9:39 am
by Philulhu
Ota leaned forwards and keyed the communicator. ”Xotli Spaceport! What’s everyone doing here?” he asked abruptly.

Posted: Sun May 08, 2022 3:07 pm
by kabukiman
"There is a strike of those lazy miners in the north. They aren't sending any ore for 2 days and the ships are waiting. This is getting chaotic".

Posted: Sun May 08, 2022 5:45 pm
by Philulhu
”Ridiculous behaviour!” snapped Ota. ”If the police can’t handle it then they should send for the marines!”

He had no patience for the striking miners. He’d never gone on strike while he was enlisted and he didn’t see why anyone else should have that privilege.

Posted: Mon May 09, 2022 2:52 am
by Mr. Handy

"Maybe we should see if we can help negotiate an end to the strike," says Mary. "Then we could get our ore, and they may be grateful enough for our help that they'll give us a discount."

Posted: Mon May 09, 2022 6:40 am
by Philulhu
”’Negotiate the end of the strike’??” mimicked Ota. ”You’re a pilot, not a peace envoy!”

He shook his head. ”Give them a baton charge. Break a few heads! That’ll ‘negotiate’ the end of the strike!”

Posted: Mon May 09, 2022 1:52 pm
by kabukiman
The ship landed and the captain call you.
"Ok, I'm going with Kathy to the merchant who asked for the spices and then we will tke care of the parts to the engine. You are going to the office of XIM, the corp that sells the ore. If you have any problem, ask for Thomas Picker the assistent manager, say you came from my part, I know him from the old days; don't ask for the director! That guy is a true pain! We meet latter in the bar "The tired traveller" ".

Posted: Mon May 09, 2022 2:38 pm
by Philulhu
”Roger that, Captain,” replied Ota.

He started typing on the keyboard in front of him, looking for the law level of the planet they had landed on, to see what they could carry without getting busted by the local law enforcement.

Posted: Tue May 10, 2022 2:09 am
by Mr. Handy

Mary, who has no weapons, nods and gathers up her meager possessions and gets ready to head out to the XIM office.

Posted: Tue May 10, 2022 9:21 am
by kabukiman
You receive the following information: In the capital you cannot carry a weapon (but you can transport in a box, or bag). Outside (in the mine towns, farms or in the desert) you are free to carry.

Posted: Tue May 10, 2022 11:40 am
by Philulhu
Ota grunted. Civil unrest and you were meant to take it down with nothing stronger than language!

Without another word he headed for the ship’s armoury to see what he might take with him.

Even Ota realises that walking around with a long gun is likely to be questioned, even if it is boxed/bagged up. Is there a hand pistol or something similar that he could carry in a bag? Also, something like a sap or a blackjack, if they’re available?

Posted: Tue May 10, 2022 11:42 am
by kabukiman
OOC: yes, you can carry a small pistol in a bag.

Posted: Tue May 10, 2022 12:00 pm
by kabukiman
Meanwhile...

The Ex-navy Lieutenant Kennedy Rourke was in the bar "The tired traveller", drinking a beer, in a lone table; the place was near empty. The last few days have been frustrating: he was trying to get hired by a ship, but with the strike, people was actually loosing their jobs. He heard a young female voice behind him and a man:
"... but captain, shouldn't we been speaking with the merchant, instead of coming here?"
"Relax Kathy, there is plenty of time. Besides, we are here in business: I'm trying to hire a new crew member, we need someone skilled at navigation. I don't think Mary is very good at it."
"Why? We haven't been lost yet".
"A scotch for me and a beer for the lady."- the man said to the bartender. "That's because we only follow premade routes. I want to try new things"
"Seriously?"- asked the girl.
The bartender poured the drinks.

Posted: Wed May 11, 2022 12:46 am
by Snapper
Rourke:

Rourke is so excited to hear the conversation, he stands bolt upright and knocks his chair back. He hastily puts the chair back then quickly straightens his civilian attire.

Rourke strides towards the man and woman, coming to a stop two yards from them and clasping his hands behind his back. "Pardon me, Captain, I couldn't help overhearing your conversation. I am a Spacer looking for work and I'm qualified in Navigation, among other things. I'd be happy even just to work my passage to your next stop if you weren't looking to make any long term appointments."

Posted: Wed May 11, 2022 1:51 am
by Mr. Handy

Mary selects a small pistol from the armory and keeps it in her bag, and if there's anything like brass knuckles, she'll borrow them too.

Posted: Wed May 11, 2022 7:40 am
by Philulhu
Ota checked the load of his pistol and slipped it into a small messenger bag worn across his front for ease of access. ”Ready? Let’s go,” he said, heading for the door.

Leading the way out of the ship and towards the spaceport entrance, spending a few moments talking to the gate crew to get the latest information on the strike, Ota hailed a taxi. ”XIM offices, driver. Quick as you can!” he ordered.

Posted: Thu May 12, 2022 9:47 am
by kabukiman
Rourke:

The man look ar the women with a victorious face and then asks:
"Very well young man, join our table and present yourself. I am captain Mac Malcom of the ship "Tranquility" a fine merchant ship and this is a member of my crew Kathy... Katherine."

Mary and Ota

The taxidriver nods.
He speaks a little about the weather, that business is being bad latelly, his favourite team lost.
The city seems mainly build in wood and stone, of 2 floors maximum; this area is well kept. After 15 minutes, he says: "we are near there."
You see what most be the local corporate buildings (they are just like the others, but have things written in them) with an angry mob shouting and several securities.
"We are here"
You see in one of them the logo "XIM"

Posted: Thu May 12, 2022 1:32 pm
by Snapper
Rourke:

Rourke rather formally nods to both as they are named. He sits down at the table indicated, looking serious.

"I am Kennedy Rourke, Regina born, pleased to make your acquaintance. I have just recently completed four terms in the Imperial Navy, mustering out as a lieutenant. Naval service is something of a family tradition. Now I wish to make my mark, another family tradition."

"I am qualified in navigation, computers, engineering and gunnery. I finished my service a few parsecs away and have been working my passage back towards the busier trade routes. But offloading here has proven a bit of a mistake. Not much work."

Posted: Thu May 12, 2022 2:05 pm
by Philulhu
”Is there a back way in, driver? There’s a queue…” said Ota dryly.

Posted: Fri May 13, 2022 4:16 am
by Mr. Handy

"We just landed on Xotli," says Mary, "so we're unfamiliar with the local situation. What's the cause of the miners' strike?"

Posted: Fri May 13, 2022 9:25 am
by kabukiman
"I don't know. But those aren't angy miners, those are the pilots trying to buy some ore. The miners live all on the north. The corporation haven't give much details, but it must be the usual, better living conditions and money. Well, luckily for youI know another way".
He continues two blocks, and then turn right; he make several other turns and you find that you are behind the building. There is a single door with a security (and nobody else).

Posted: Fri May 13, 2022 11:36 pm
by Philulhu
Ota climbed out of the car. ”Tip the driver,” he said to Mary as he headed over to speak to the guard.

Lieutenant Colonel Esperanza Ota plus colleague to see XIM Corp’s Thomas Picker,” he said impatiently, waiting for the guard to hurry up and let him in.

Posted: Sat May 14, 2022 1:22 am
by Mr. Handy

Mary gives the driver a decent tip, though she knows that Ota has far more money than she does, and hurriedly follows to the guarded door.

Posted: Mon May 16, 2022 3:45 pm
by kabukiman
Rourke:
"That seems excelent qualifications my young man, and just wht we needed. Of course I have several other candidates to talk with before I accept you, but you seem in a very good position."

Mary and Ota
The security seems bored; when he sees you coming in his diretion he gets tense but then relax when you speak. He makes a quick call and then tell you:
"Sorry, but Mr Picker told me he isn't waiting anyone with that name".

Posted: Mon May 16, 2022 4:46 pm
by Philulhu
Ota gritted his teeth, breathing out slowly. ”Try Mac Malcolm, Captain of the Tranquility. He asked me to come and see Mr Picker,” he said to the guard, with ill-disguised impatience…

Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 2:16 am
by Snapper
Rourke:

Rourke nods, trying hard not to look disappointed. "Of course, a sound approach for your ship. I shall be easy enough to locate unless some other ship unexpectedly sorts out its problems in this system and hires me first. I hope to hear from you."

OOC:   Does this planet have a Travellers Aid Society Hostel? If it does, that's where Rourke will be staying and where he'll give as a contact address, together with any Traveller appropriate IT contacts address.  

Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 4:33 am
by Mr. Handy

"And me," adds Mary. "The captain is an old friend of Mr. Picker. Just let him know Mac Malcom sent us."

Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 1:42 pm
by kabukiman
Ota and Mary

"Sure, why not I don't have anything better to do" he says doubtfully. He makes a new call, seems surprise and then says:
"You can pass. Go in the corridor pass the receptionist, take the stairs, and it is the second room on the right, you can't miss, the name is written.

Rourke

"Well, as soon as we will finish our drinks, we will have a small business trip, you can come along if you want, to see how we work."

OOC: Ok, but now you are playing, so no dead moments. :lol:

Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 3:42 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says Mary, leading the way inside and following his directions.

Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 4:15 pm
by Snapper
Rourke:

"I would be very happy to accompany you both on your business. Let me know if there is anything I can do to assist. I'm not overly familiar with the law and government of this world but I'm used to adapting from one star system to the next."

OOC:   Me? Dead moments? Never!  

Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 11:23 pm
by Philulhu
”Thanks,” said Ota, shortly. He followed Mary down the corridor, looking at the door signs until they found Picker’s office. ”This looks like it,” he said, and he knocked on the door.

Posted: Thu May 19, 2022 2:08 pm
by kabukiman
Ota and Mary
"Enter"-says a voice

Hiroto
Hiroto is in the store of Tanaka, a rich merchant, trying to get employed in one of his ships.
"The problem, is that I don't have any ships anymore. Too much trouble. Now I contract free traders: they bring the goods, and if anything goes wrong, I own the ship. That is a good deal. Look, one of them is entering, I hope with good news. Why you don't ask him for a job?"
When a group enters in the shop, he says:
"Hello captain"

Rourke
The captain pays and say: "Let's go now."

You walk a bit and enter in a new part of the city: the streets are very small, full of small shops and stalls with signs. They sell food, cloths, spare parts of electronic devices, and a lot of other stuff; it has a very intnse smell. The captain waves to several persons, but go to a particular shop that only says "Tanaka" Inside, yo see only two men: one must be a client, the other an old man (in his 70's), full of wrinkles, dressed with a long brown tunic, and only says:
"Hello captain"

Posted: Thu May 19, 2022 4:54 pm
by Dave Syrinx

Hiroto takes a step backwads and to the side, letting Tanaka get the news from the captain before stumbling ahead ambushing the crew with questions and begging for a place at the helm. First, he needs some backdrop to pitch a sell to. "Of course, Tanaka, sir. I will prepare the dosages as prescribed. Doc H, at ypur service." This is spoken under his breath more to Tanaka´s notice than for the newcomers to overhear. Hiroto studies the newcomers as he himself removes him a few steps away from the cente of the room to let the after action report begin.

Posted: Thu May 19, 2022 10:59 pm
by Philulhu
Ota pushed open the door and entered as requested.

Posted: Fri May 20, 2022 4:36 am
by Mr. Handy

Mary follows him inside.

Posted: Fri May 20, 2022 10:22 am
by kabukiman
Ota and Mary

The office is very simple: a desk, a computer and three chairs in front of the desk- You see a men in his late 40's, bald; you can see that he used to be muscular, but too much time working at a desk has effects in his health; he have a small scar in his right eye.
"So what can I do for my old companion?"- He seems very tired.

Rourke and Hiroto

"Hi Mr Tanaka. You already know Kathy and this is Rourke a veteran of many wars that is joining my crew. So I think we have business to do?"
"Yes, did you bring the spices?
"Did I ever failed you?"
"I assume you didn't find any problems"
"No, everyone is too worried about the strike, the guards aren't paying atention"
"Ah, yes, the strike. Well, I'm sending some men to inspect the spices and then I'l make the payment".
"Very well, but make it quick, I need to make some repairs. So, you have health problems now and need a doctor?"
- he says pointing to Hiroto

Posted: Fri May 20, 2022 12:19 pm
by Philulhu
Captain Malcolm instructed us to come and see you about a ore shipment,” said Ota. ”If you could facilitate that, he would appreciate it.”

Posted: Fri May 20, 2022 2:20 pm
by Dave Syrinx

Hiroto
nods at the crew who entered. "Sirs, madam, I´m but a humble doctor with a license to maneuver both cyber- and vacc-ways, should you need someone to steer through a medical or stellar-oriented dilemma." He looks at the merchant. "To have the need of a medic or rather to be prepared and have a medic when you need one is paramount, I´d say. And if I read the sitiuation at hand with ore and spices and trouble on the horizon, I offer myself to tag along and show my worth, should it be required. That is if you have room for me?"

Posted: Sat May 21, 2022 2:53 am
by Mr. Handy

Mary slides into one of the chairs.

Posted: Sat May 21, 2022 4:04 am
by Snapper
Rourke:

Rourke gives Hiroto a polite nod. "Have you travelled many systems?"

Posted: Sat May 21, 2022 7:53 am
by Philulhu
Mr. Handy wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 2:53 am Image

Mary slides into one of the chairs.
‘Typical civilian’, thought Ota, who was stood in the regulation ‘at-ease’ position. Ramrod-straight, but still ‘at-ease’…

Posted: Sat May 21, 2022 8:56 am
by Dave Syrinx

"Yes." Doc H answers. He unfolds his arms and shows his palms and bows slightly. "A reply that´s true but not adequate. To give a rounded reply, I´d have to put you in a low berth and send you off to Torment, Darrian sector." He produces a polymer bag from his vest-pocket and pops a nondescript pill out. Puts in in his mouth and swallows. "Wherever the need to reconstitute are, my service has been welcomed. The synthezised formula replaces cell dedifferentiation. My formula negates the macrophage and reverts to status quo." Horito flexes and clenches his fingers and sighs, "Ahh, that´s better." "Now, what are we selling?"

Posted: Sat May 21, 2022 3:51 pm
by Snapper
Rourke:

Rourke pauses briefly to mentally unpack this answer. "Right. So, a travelling drug cook then?"

"I'm surprised someone unpleasant hasn't laid claim to your expertise, and stashed you in a drug lab somewhere to manufacture their wares. The sort of lab where you might never be allowed to see the light of day again." Rourke says this conversationally, with no judgement on his voice.

Posted: Sat May 21, 2022 4:11 pm
by Dave Syrinx
"Precisely... I prefer to have my freedom." He eyes Rourke: "You don´t have a habit tying down newcomers in your lab-bay, do you?" Hiroto smiles wide, waiting for the captain to proclaim a verdict of him beeing accepted as the local Heisenberg.

Posted: Sun May 22, 2022 3:31 am
by Snapper
Rourke:

Rourke smiles. "Well, I've only just sought a position with this crew, myself. But, no, we were not in the habit of kidnapping drug cooks in the Navy."

Posted: Sun May 22, 2022 6:56 pm
by Dave Syrinx

"So, what do I have to do to get a pass to ride along to prove my worth, captain?" Horito says to captain Malcom. He straightens his face and drops the mad drug-cook persona. "I can also pilot a ship in a pinch and am a whiz at a little bit of everything. We learn as long as we live to regret our mistakes, right?" He smiles again. "That was what Benny the barman at the Beanstalk bar use to say back on Terra."

Posted: Mon May 23, 2022 1:54 pm
by kabukiman
Ota and Mary
"You can sit"- he says to Ota, he doesn't seem to have notice what happened.
"About the ore, everyone wants it. But you see, we were completly caught by surprise by the.. " he seems to hesitate and then says: "strike. So we don't have any reserves because we sold all to the big companies to avoid being sued. We were hoping to see all solved by now. Problem is, it isn't".

Rourke and Hiroto
You see the girl pushing the captain and have a... discussion? You don't hear them but it seems very intense until he says something and she finally agreed. The captain returns and say:
"Well, a doctor and a navigator seem to fine but talk is cheap and until you prove your worth, you will be both in probation: you will work and have a berth and food. Do you agreed with this terms?

Posted: Mon May 23, 2022 2:58 pm
by Dave Syrinx

"Sounds fair and fine to me." Horito replies to the offer and makes a sign with his right index finger as to salute captain Malcom on the way down from the salute, the gesture mimics an 18th century bowing to the woman and his hand soon finds a pack of unfiltered tar-pins. He lights one up and inhales. He exhales the smoke over his shoulder not to bother any of the people gathered. "So, bunkmates, Rourke, what about that?"

Posted: Mon May 23, 2022 3:04 pm
by Dave Syrinx

To the woman, Horito adds, "Miss, I totally forget my manners. Horito Yang, now at your call." He once again finds himself managing standing i a straight manner. Not seemingly much affected by the tar-pin. If not anything I must remember to talk less. Like a hero - only say the cool bits. He reflects.

Posted: Mon May 23, 2022 10:12 pm
by Philulhu
Ota sat, pulling his jacket straight. ”Thank you,” he said. ”I don’t understand why they don’t send in the marines and sort them out.”

Posted: Tue May 24, 2022 12:24 am
by Snapper
Rourke:

"I am happy to work my passage. I accept."

Posted: Tue May 24, 2022 2:43 am
by Mr. Handy

"Do you know what caused the strike?" asks Mary. "What are the miners' demands? Maybe we can help settle it."

Posted: Tue May 24, 2022 4:42 pm
by kabukiman
Mary and Ota

"Well," he seems to hesitate and say: "The problem is that I am not sure that is a strike. You see, everything started 5 days ago in the mining city of "Calamity. Our local manager sent me in a report where he mentioned that there was a minor problem in one of the galeries, with a team of miners missing. The next day, they were hit by a storm and suddenly we were contacted by a women who don't belong to our staff, saying that they were being attacked and asking for help but we couldn't understand half she said and then the comunication stoped. All the transports of ore are made by train and there is a single line to "Calamity city"; then all the other mining cities connect to it. We have contact with the other cities, but they say that the trains stop at that city. Our police sent a team and then the mayor said it was only a strike. But why don't anyone answer from that city? I'm thinking of sending someone to investigate.

Posted: Tue May 24, 2022 4:52 pm
by kabukiman
Rourke and Hiroto

The girl makes a timid smile to Hiroto.
"Well, now that everything is solved, We are going to talk with Amber to get all the pieces that Kathy needs to repair the ship."
Tanaka smiles and say:
"Actually, about that, you may have a problem. You see, Amber is missing since he own a lot of money to the Tcherenko brothers. He has spend a lot of money gambling. so they have ocupied his warehouse."

Posted: Wed May 25, 2022 3:28 am
by Mr. Handy

"Maybe our crew could check it out for you," says Mary, "possibly in exchange for a discount once the ore starts moving again." She's sure that he realizes that until the ore starts moving, he won't be able to sell any at any price.

Posted: Wed May 25, 2022 1:41 pm
by kabukiman
Mary and Ota

"Well, seems a plan to me. We have an automatic locomotive that you can use: it is easy to reprogram to return if you have any problem. About the reward, yes I can make you a discount of 50% of the price. What do you think? "

Posted: Wed May 25, 2022 6:17 pm
by Dave Syrinx

"So, Captain Malcolm, do we have a meeting on the ship or are we strapping on our slug-throwers and visit the warehouse hapazardly?" He shrugs an lifts his palms upawards to let the others know he´s theirs to steer in either direction.

Posted: Thu May 26, 2022 12:44 am
by Philulhu
Ota weighed up the odds. ”It’s the Captain’s call at the end of the day but I’m pretty sure I can talk him round,” he said. with a smug smile.

”I presume you’ll have access to any equipment that we’re going to need?”

Posted: Thu May 26, 2022 3:24 am
by Mr. Handy

"It's a good deal," says Mary. "I think the Captain will take it."

Posted: Thu May 26, 2022 7:19 pm
by kabukiman
Rourke and Hiroto
"We are joining the rest of our crew in a bar, I am sure that with the contact I gave then, we must have a new cargo of ore waiting to be loaded in the ship."

Mary and Ota
"Very well, just one last detail: I have a nephew. Well, he is the son of the older sister of my wife. He was in a merchant ship but now he is without a job, I'm hiring to this mission, so if you have success, I can hire him in a permanent base. Hope you don' see any inconvenient? You can go tomorrow. I need to write the paperwork to get access to the the train."
With this he dismiss you.

Unless anyone have something else to say, can I advance the story?

Posted: Thu May 26, 2022 11:42 pm
by Philulhu
Ota nodded. This nephew probably needed nursemaiding - that sounded like a job for Mary, not him, but he’d save that conversation until they were outside again.

Happy to move on.

Posted: Fri May 27, 2022 3:18 am
by Mr. Handy

Mary thinks that another pair of hands could be helpful, but she realizes that of course this nephew will also act as Picker's eyes and ears.

Yes, I'm readying to move forward.

Posted: Fri May 27, 2022 7:11 am
by Snapper
OOC:   All good. Happy to move on.  

Posted: Fri May 27, 2022 7:44 am
by Dave Syrinx
Spoiler:
Second the previous posts! :D

Posted: Fri May 27, 2022 8:43 am