January 13 - Biblioteca Marciana

A puzzling headline begins a front-page article found in the Times of London. Three men, all identical in identification, were found dead in the same room of the Chelsea Arms Hotel. Then the home of a valued friend burns to the ground, severely injuring him in the process. It is the beginning of "Horror On The Orient Express" a European campaign set in the winter between January and March of 1923. Over the course of the campaign, the investigators are trying to collect the various pieces of an ancient statue called the Sedefkar Simulacrum. Night falls early then, and each night is long and cold. The campaign is made up of 11 scenarios, taking place in seven nations, the United Kingdom, France, Switzerland, Italy, The Kingdom of Serbs Croats and Slovenes, Bulgaria, and Turkey. All are stops on the path of the Simplon-Orient Express.

Moderator: robertod

robertod
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 4 months

January 13 - Biblioteca Marciana

Post by robertod »

The Biblioteca Marciana is one of the most prestigious cultural institutions in Italy and is located in Piazza San Marco. The library is housed in an impressive building with a grand facade. Its privileged position offers a breathtaking view of Piazza San Marco and the Venice lagoon. The facade of is characterized by a series of Corinthian columns and a majestic portico. The main entrance is topped by a series of classical statues that add an artistic touch to the structure. The atmosphere is one of great magnificence. Once inside, the visitors are greeted by elegant spaces and reading rooms decorated with frescoes, stucco, and elaborate architectural details. The rooms are illuminated by sumptuous chandeliers and large windows that offer a unique view of the city. The library has a huge collection of ancient manuscripts, rare books and maps. Shelves are filled with treasured volumes, some of which date back centuries. The variety of works ranges from classical literature to history, from philosophy to science.

As soon as they enter the door, the investigators enter a silent and solemn environment. The walls are lined with dark wooden shelves. The books are organized with care and order. The furnishings consist of fine wood furniture, with padded armchairs and table lamps. Persian carpets or large tapestries decorate the floor. Large windows with heavy curtains allows natural light to illuminate the place. The librarians are dressed very formally. There are several students but the place is not crowded. Some middle-aged gentlemen are there to read newspapers.

Napoleon’s arrival in Venice in 1797 is the starting point for the search for the unknown part of the Sedefkar Simulacrum. Napoleon’s troops entered Venice on 31 May 1797, after a scene of shameful capitulation by Venice’s Senate. French soldiers were garrisoned in the city and Napoleon began an ambitious plan for civic reform, including disbanding many monasteries. Napoleon even removed the four bronze horses from St. Mark’s, but these were returned from Paris in 1815.

The first few hours of search reveal the same information that was already found in Paris. The investigators realize that finding something new will take time. A whole day spent in the library until closing time reveals the following:

There are records of a plague that spread through the city after Napoleon’s troops entered. Victims experienced crippling pains in their left leg but no physical cause could be found. There´s an official report of a Capitaine Guillaume Dubois. Capitaine Dubois was the young and energetic French officer in charge of the San Marco district in November 1797, at the height of the plague. Any investigator who reads French can scan his report on an incident where he was obliged to order his men to fire on a mob.

Official Report Summary of Capitaine Dubois
16 November, 1797
Sir—regarding the disturbances of the last three days, I must report that on the 13th November an unruly mob of Venetians gathered at the San Marco barracks gates. They defied my request to disperse. The reason they gave was that they wanted me to deliver one of my privates, Jean Boucher, to their hands. They claimed that he had caused this grievous plague that affl icts Venice by evil arts. They seemed to genuinely believe this superstitious nonsense. Defying my direct command to depart, they attempted to storm the barracks and seize Boucher. I ordered the men under my command to fi re. The first volley was directed over the heads of the mob. No second volley was required, as the crowd then dispersed. I then put the district under curfew.
I interviewed Boucher and found him a docile soul of low intelligence and little enterprise. Why, the sole loot he has been able to gather on our glorious march across Europe is an odd, porcelain leg! Boucher seems to think it a prize although I doubt any other man under my command would think so. The next day, a delegation of prominent Venetians of the district visited me, and again requested Boucher be tried for witchcraft. I imprisoned them all as the ringleaders of the mob. There the matter rests. There will be no further such unrest in the district under my command.
On the 15th November that occurred which I have described to you privately. I deal with this in detail in personal documents as not fitting for the subject of an official report.
There is an annotation from his senior officer, Major Hautemont, commending his prompt action in dispersing the mob without bloodshe
d.

Letters and diaries about this affair also exist from the Venetian perspective. The investigator finds the name of the French captain, and then trace his report with the assistance of someone who reads French. The investigators find the records of Major Hautemont, Dubois’ commanding officer. Hautemont’s journal contains a passing reference to the event, but no detail. However, a search in the same period uncovers the diary.

The Diary of Capitaine Dubois
15 November, 1797
Returned home last night, the 14th, most satisfied with my actions in dispelling the riot. As Voltaire said, “I have only ever made one prayer to God, a very short one: ‘O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.’ And God granted it.” It was very satisfying to see the looks on those fool Venetian faces as they were bundled off to prison. I hope their visit teaches them the comparative values of reason and superstition.
At home I found my Cherie struck by the plague. The poor little waif is as brave as one of my soldiers, but her leg has crippled and twisted overnight. She is only two years old. She should not be thus afflicted. I returned to the prison and questioned the delegation leaders. They told me to talk to Boucher. So I questioned him again late last night. I also pored over that strange artificial limb he so prizes. My leg ached as I handled it, and aches to this moment. Is it that the mere sight of this truncated limb in porcelain stirred some vestigial memory in my agitated mind, so that it felt as if my own left leg were amputated?
I took the leg from Boucher and tried to break it. It would not break. I tried to burn it. It would not burn. It is not porcelain but some strange unyielding substance that not even diamond will mark. This leg does not seem to be a thing of this world. I decided to return it to Boucher, he says he wants to sell it to an artist, an Italian fool who wants it as part of a sculpture in the church of San Marco. The leg reminds him that Jesus too was made of flesh and muscle.
To my delight this morning my dear little Cherie has recovered. She is as bright as ever. Today I hear from the medical staff too, that the plague is steadily abating in virulence. I have given orders that the delegation be quietly released. That fool Boucher waylaid me this afternoon. He wants compensation for his ‘prize’. That claim may go long unanswered.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: January 13 - Biblioteca Marciana

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Well, this explains much," says Felicity, who translates the French text for the others. "Let's see what we can find out about the church of San Marco while we're here, as well as the Devil's Simulare and the church of San Maria Celeste."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Post by Mephistophilis »

Andrew enjoys stalking the corridors of the library, breathing in the history and the architecture. He savours every book he takes down from the shelves, even when he is unable to read the text itself. He loses himself in his investigations, bringing each volume he finds back to be translated.

When he hears of the Sedefkar leg being in the Basilica San Marco, Andrew is visibly beaming He suggests 'The library is about to close. We can return tomorrow to find out more about the San Maria Celeste and the Devil's Simulare. But tonight I think we should pay our respects in the Basilica. See the wonders there. Investigate the famous sculptures!'
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"That sounds splendid," says Felicity.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 2 years 3 months

Post by SaintMeerkat »

doctor.png
doctor.png (27.27 KiB) Viewed 247 times

Archie was also in bibliophile heaven as he joined Andrew in the stacks. "Oh, my goodness. It's gorgeous. It almost makes the Round Room look cheap in comparison. And this is much more comfortable."

"And a trip to the Basilica sounds perfect."
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

It took them some time to track down Clarence who had got himself happily lost in the Byzantine section.
“The Basilica San Marco? Splendid, splendid!”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I think this belongs in the new thread instead.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
robertod
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 4 months