January 12 - Milano - A night at the opera

A puzzling headline begins a front-page article found in the Times of London. Three men, all identical in identification, were found dead in the same room of the Chelsea Arms Hotel. Then the home of a valued friend burns to the ground, severely injuring him in the process. It is the beginning of "Horror On The Orient Express" a European campaign set in the winter between January and March of 1923. Over the course of the campaign, the investigators are trying to collect the various pieces of an ancient statue called the Sedefkar Simulacrum. Night falls early then, and each night is long and cold. The campaign is made up of 11 scenarios, taking place in seven nations, the United Kingdom, France, Switzerland, Italy, The Kingdom of Serbs Croats and Slovenes, Bulgaria, and Turkey. All are stops on the path of the Simplon-Orient Express.

Moderator: robertod

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: January 12 - Milano - A night at the opera

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Grazie," says Felicity, looping her arm around the man and leaning on him. "Please, go slowly, signor. I'm a little dizzy. Had a bit too much to drink." She allows him to lead her out of the room so that her friends can sneak up behind him and knock him unconscious like the other man, thus shifting the odds in their favor and adding another gun to their collection.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Post by Mephistophilis »

Bludgeoning people over the back of the head seems to have become my new forte, Andrew thinks to himself. These dastardly Italians seem to be rubbing off on me in a most ungentlemanlike way!

He prepares to pistol-whip the man once Felicity has led him past, hoping the others will jump in if he is unsuccesful. He doesn't want to make any noise and alert Faccia and the rest of his men.

OOC:   2 point spend on Scuffling, again  

FFL1d6+2
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 2 years 3 months

Post by SaintMeerkat »

doctor.png

Archie's pistol is ready, and he prepares to bring the butt down on one of the others.

1d6

aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

Clarence waits, poised to cause a distraction if necessary. He watches intently.
robertod
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 4 months

Post by robertod »

The ploy works and the second thug is lured into the trap, falling under Andrew's precise blow. Archie tries to contribute but when he lands his blow, the man was already falling down. There are three men left in the storeroom, they are about to move towards the back of the room to search elsewhere.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Felicity eases the goon into a sitting position against the wall and takes his pistol in her gloved hand. "Well done, chaps," she whispers. "That evens the odds a bit. Now we outnumber them. We're going to have to sneak up on them. We should use their guns instead of our own. That way, if we have to use them, there'll be less trouble than using our own. Also, they don't have our fingerprints on them. Good thing gloves are fashionable."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

'Wait a minute,' says Andrew, pulling off the thugs coat and slipping it over his own. He grabs the hat and adopts the hunched posture of the man. Taking his gun from Felicity he says in a rather over-the-top Italian accent, 'Perhaps I can get close to Faccia and pull my gun on him. Then you all sneak up on the others while they are distracted.'

OOC:   I was thinking Andrew could spend some points of Disguise to get near enough to Faccia to stick a gun in his side. Then we can disarm the lot of them, or just whack them over the head again.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"That'll work until he speaks to you in Italian," whispers Felicity, helping him adjust his disguise. "But maybe that will be long enough. We'll try it your way if you like."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by SaintMeerkat »

doctor.png
doctor.png (27.27 KiB) Viewed 333 times

"Thank you, friend," Archie says as he helps the Andrew slip his coat on. "Bravo. Splendid idea. If it doesn't work..." Archie laughed darkly as he shifts to the other gun they took from the goons. "It's going to work."
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Clarence watches the return of the thug with chagrin, until he realises the man is shaped more like his chum, Andrew.
“Good thinking, old boy!” He thinks. He looks to see if any of the three remaining men are crushable by the shelving next to him.
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

Previously said:   OOC: I was thinking Andrew could spend some points of Disguise to get near enough to Faccia to stick a gun in his side. Then we can disarm the lot of them, or just whack them over the head again.  
OOC:   Disguise is a general ability. So, roll 1D6 and add Disguise points to improve the result. The difficulty however is 5, because the three men are very determined to continue what they are doing and will hate to be disturbed a second time. And...of course you need to mention what exactly Andrew will say to distract them, disguise his real intentions and prevent them from becoming suspicious or angry.  
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Andrew shambles back into the room, keeping his gaze downcast and his hat pulled down low to hide his face. He shrugs his shoulders in an exaggerated fashion he hopes mimics the gesticulations of the Italians. He doesn't know much Italian but he channels what little he does in a gruff voice, mimicking the man he knocked out minutes before. 'Puttana!' he coughs as he joins Faccia and the others searching. He hopes a bit of casual misogyny will be enough to allay their suspicions.

Once he's within range he presses the muzzle of the man's gun against Faccia, and hisses in his ear, 'Tell your men to throw their weapons on the ground.'

d1d6+3
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Felicity knows what that word means, but she also knows that Andrew doesn't really mean it. Anyway, it isn't true. She has never once accepted payment for her favors. She stands ready with her new gun behind her back for her grand entrance.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

“Perhaps we should have let them search- and then jumped then once they’d found it.” Clarence thinks to himself. He watches to see what the goons do now that their master is at gun point.
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

Faccia remains motionless. His eyes above his mustachioed lip cursing Andrew. The other men make a gesture to grab the gun, but the boss stops them with a calm and composed hand gesture.

Speaking in Italian, he babbles
"Who the hell are you? What do you want? If you want money, I'll give it to you, but get out of here!"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Felicity swirls into the room, the gun she took from the goon in her hand. "Relax, Doctor," she says in Italian. "We're just going to kidnap you for a bit, and then we'll let you go, provided you cooperate. It's not money we want. We have plenty of it ourselves. What we want is your genius, your skill. You recently performed an operation, taking Caterina's voice and putting it in Virginia. We merely want you to reverse the operation. Both women are here, and it should be a simple matter for you, seeing that you've already done it before. One of my friends is a doctor too, and I've worked as a volunteer nurse before. We shall assist you. This is your chance to demonstrate how brilliant you are, and you will of course be handsomely paid for your services."

Using Flattery and Credit Rating. Quite willing to spend points if necessary.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

Faccia relaxes his face slightly and smiles.
"If that's what you want, kidnapping me won't do you any good. I didn't do the operation. Virginia must have told you how we decided to explain the matter to other people."

"Actually it wasn't exactly an operation. Forget about that. You wouldn´t understand. Believe me... it's much better for all of you if you never meet the people who did that. You have no idea what else they are capable of doing. Anyway... granted that you can get me out of here, assuming you find a place to lock me up without anyone from my gang finding you at some point... ...these people certainly won't bother to do the reverse operation if I ask them. "

"Rather, if they find out that Caterina is still alive, they will try to kill her. She saw things that she should never have seen."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Caterina didn't tell us that," says Felicity. "Of course, she isn't exactly talkative lately. Who are the people who did this? Maybe we can convince them. Is Conti one of them?"

Using Assess Honesty.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

While Clarence listens, he scans the room where the Italians haven’t got to yet, on the chance he can catch a glimpse of the bust.
Rolled 1d6=5
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by SaintMeerkat »

doctor.png
doctor.png (27.27 KiB) Viewed 277 times

The tingling in Archie's arm intensified as he gripped his gun more tightly. He follows Felicity into the room.

"We fought undead, animated corpses. I don't think we're going to be frightened by your crowd of ruffians."

Return to “Horror on the Orient Express (Trail of Cthulhu)”