January 12 - Milano - Next morning

A puzzling headline begins a front-page article found in the Times of London. Three men, all identical in identification, were found dead in the same room of the Chelsea Arms Hotel. Then the home of a valued friend burns to the ground, severely injuring him in the process. It is the beginning of "Horror On The Orient Express" a European campaign set in the winter between January and March of 1923. Over the course of the campaign, the investigators are trying to collect the various pieces of an ancient statue called the Sedefkar Simulacrum. Night falls early then, and each night is long and cold. The campaign is made up of 11 scenarios, taking place in seven nations, the United Kingdom, France, Switzerland, Italy, The Kingdom of Serbs Croats and Slovenes, Bulgaria, and Turkey. All are stops on the path of the Simplon-Orient Express.

Moderator: robertod

robertod
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 4 months

January 12 - Milano - Next morning

Post by robertod »

Next morning, the investigator wake up in their hotel rooms in the center of Milan. The morning is cold and humid and the shy rays of the sun passing through the clouds do little to warm up the city. The breakfast room is crowded. PThe hotel people is gossiping. Everyone wonders who the mysterious voice was, but everyone remains unanswered. Meanwhile, the rumor is circulating that tonight the premiere of Aida stands still. The rumor is confirmed. The opening night will occur, despite the absence of the lead singer. Everyone wonders who the replacement will be. Some says that Caterina hasn't actually disappeared. It was she who sang during the night and her disappearance would be a publicity stunt for the theatre.
Despite the excitement for the premiere has revived in some, the faces of mostly Milanese seems apathetic and melancholy. Many also appear to be physically weak. They cough or sneeze frequently. The cold of this winter has arrived like a plague, many complain.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: January 12 - Milano - Next morning

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We should visit Conti after breakfast," says Felicity.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Post by Mephistophilis »

Andrew is silent throughout breakfast, chewing mechanically and without any enjoyment. Eventually he asks, 'Mr Dalrymple, was there anything in that scroll which alludes to modifying organs or body parts?'
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 2 years 3 months

Post by SaintMeerkat »

doctor.png
doctor.png (27.27 KiB) Viewed 417 times
The cold morning and equally cold food did nothing to improve Archie's mood. After he was awoken by the mysterious voice last night, he never really got back to sleep. He tried reading, but after staring at the same paragraph for what felt like hours, he closed it in frustration and lay still until he heard the other hotel residents stirring.

It took awhile for it to sink in that the other two had spoken. "Hmm...yes..." he answered, hoping that he was the one addressed, and that the generic answer would suffice.
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

Clarence picks at his food too, “I’m not keen on this Italian fare; give me kippers any day. As to the body parts; yes. The Scroll of the Legs is one of five, named after other body parts I’m sure. The Simulccrum is corrupting- given the chest complaints and throat issues about, I’m expecting either the head or the torso to be hidden here in Milan.
And if a local magician has the power from the statue, he has the ability to transfer his very being onto another, unfortunate person; I imagine transforming a single body part, such as the face, relatively simple, hmm.”
Did everyone catch Clarence explanation of the scroll at the end of the Milano- Hotel thread? I mistakenly added it there after you’d all moved on.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I can't get enough Italian food!" says Felicity, licking her lips. "They sure know how to make pasta here. Do we have any leads on where in Milan we can find the piece?"

I did see that. I just don't remember what it said any more. ;)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Unsettling thoughts continue to cycle round and around in Andrew's head. Clarence's confirmation does not reassure him. Eventually he tersely asks out loud, not really targeted at anyone on particular; 'Do we think they might have killed Miss Cavollaro and stolen her voice?' Once he's said it he immediately shakes his head. Even with what they've seen so far it sounds nonsensical.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I do think they've stolen her voice," says Felicity, "but I'm hoping they kept her alive. Conti may still want her."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Clarence shakes his head. “But why? It doesn’t make any sense to steal a voice. Unless…”
His own voice drops as he has an awful thought.

“Unless that woman has access to the powers of the Simulacrum statue. And maybe she plans to use it to cast a spell on… no, sorry. That’s ridiculous.”
But Clarence looks troubled.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

'These spells, they could not be used on a whole room at once could they?'
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Music casts a spell all its own, even without that," says Felicity. "I shudder to think what someone with her voice could do with actual magic."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

“I Imagine The Skinless One would relish worship from a multitude- if it could grant the power to one of its followers. What better way than the adoration of a theatre full of patrons to ‘The Voice.”
Clarence is animated.
“Look around you; all these miserable people, all suffering from afflictions of the nose and throat. What does that tell you?”
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

Previously said:   "We should visit Conti after breakfast," says Felicity.  
OOC:   Is the whole group going there?  
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

'I wonder if perhaps some of us should investigate that mysterious woman and the building she disappeared into,' muses Andrew. 'But certainly we cannot allow Miss Hayward to visit Conti alone.' He casts a patronising look at Felicity.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you," says Felicity with a smile. "I'm glad of the protection, and I appreciate the sentiment."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by SaintMeerkat »

doctor.png
doctor.png (27.27 KiB) Viewed 375 times
Archie stared off into the distance, as though he were a thousand miles away. Finally, he shook himself, forcing himself to speak.

"Yes, I think a visit to Conti is the next step for us. Sorry about that."
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

Conti has an apartment in Brera, the core of the historic center of Milan, at the last floor of a nineteenth-century building.
The porter invites the British visitors to walk in and have a seat in the confortable living room. Conti arrives from another room. He´s a handsome man in his late thirty, with a frail physique. He has a charming look and a welcoming smile. He wears a very refined suit made to measure by a tailor.

Conto greets everyone:
"I didn´t know the miss came here to Milan with some company. What can I do for you gentlemen?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Felicity introduces her friends, translating for them if necessary. "Did you hear that last night Caterina's singing was heard in the city?" she asks. "We went out with everyone else to look for her. It turned out that it was her sister Virginia singing. Her voice sounds just like Caterina's. It's uncanny! Have you met her?"

Using Assess Honesty.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by SaintMeerkat »

doctor.png
doctor.png (27.27 KiB) Viewed 359 times
"Yes, I was as convinced as Felicity," Archie admitted. "I have never been so surprised in my life," he said as he leaned in and added, "And as a doctor I have had a lot of experience in that particular realm."
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Clarence has a discreet look at the Conti’s art and ornaments. Did anything look like it belonged to a practitioner of the esoteric or occult arts?

Return to “Horror on the Orient Express (Trail of Cthulhu)”