January 11 - Conti’s apartment - Felicity

A puzzling headline begins a front-page article found in the Times of London. Three men, all identical in identification, were found dead in the same room of the Chelsea Arms Hotel. Then the home of a valued friend burns to the ground, severely injuring him in the process. It is the beginning of "Horror On The Orient Express" a European campaign set in the winter between January and March of 1923. Over the course of the campaign, the investigators are trying to collect the various pieces of an ancient statue called the Sedefkar Simulacrum. Night falls early then, and each night is long and cold. The campaign is made up of 11 scenarios, taking place in seven nations, the United Kingdom, France, Switzerland, Italy, The Kingdom of Serbs Croats and Slovenes, Bulgaria, and Turkey. All are stops on the path of the Simplon-Orient Express.

Moderator: robertod

robertod
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 4 months

January 11 - Conti’s apartment - Felicity

Post by robertod »

Conti has an apartment in Brera, the core of the historic center of Milan, at the last floor of a nineteenth-century building. The district houses the Academy of Arts and an Art Gallery, which prominently contributed to the development of Brera as an artists' neighborhood and a place of bohemian atmosphere, sometimes referred to as "the milanese Montmartre".

Conti himself opens the door to Felicity, as soon as the porter informs him about her arrival. An Alfa Romeo RL is in the garage. Conti is a thin handsome man in his late thirty, with a frail physique. He has a charming look and a welcoming smile. He is disheveled, and the top three buttons of his shirt are undone. He wears a very refined suit made to measure by a tailor. He smiles politely, showing a face of curiosity mixed with surprise.

"I don't think we've ever met her before. What can I do for you, Miss... ?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: January 11 - Conti’s apartment - Felicity

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Felicity Hayward," says Felicity, smiling back, extending her hand, and continuing in Italian. "I'm a friend of Caterina Cavollaro. My companions and I met her on the Orient Express, but we stopped off in Lausanne while she continued on to Milan. When we arrived, we heard that she had disappeared. I'd like to help you try to find her."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

Conti welcomes Felicity in. The interior of the apartment is spacious, welcoming and stylishly decorated. The windows are high and offer a nice view over the city. He has all the windows in his apartment open out of the sheer novelty of breathing the air. Smiling, Conti invites Felicity to sit in a comfortable lounge and offers an Italian liqueur to his guest. Conti seats on a confortable harmchair facing Felicity. At this moment, Felicity glimpses some scars on the man's chest under his shirt, as if caused by a surgery.

After the conventional smiles, Conti asks general curiosities about where Felicity comes from, acknowledging that she is a foreigner.

"Well, Catherine and I have seen each other very rarely lately. I don´t know about her life. Maybe the people at La Scala can tell you more. All I can tell you is that she was very stressed when I picked her up. It seemed to that she suffered greatly from the high expectations that society had on her. I wouldn't be surprised if, in the throes of a nervous breakdown, she decided to separate herself from everything and everyone for a while."
He sighs.
"I mean. She has always been very anxious and that was the reason our romance didn't work out."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Felicity thanks Conti for his hospitality, settles into the chair, and sips her drink, sharing the fact that she is from London. "That's too bad," says Felicity, "but I'm sure you'll make some other lady very happy one day. You must still have feelings for her, though, and you'll want to help find her in any way you can. Where exactly did you let her off? Maybe something happened along the way to La Scala, since she apparently never arrived, and I can retrace her route. Then I do plan to speak to the people at La Scala. Do you know anything about them?"

Using Assess Honesty and Flattery.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

Conti smiles shyly
"Oh... we're just friends now... I mean... we don't really see each other... we met by chance when I gave her a ride. I left her on via Brera, two blocks from the La Scala theatre, near the Pinacoteca. She´s an important public figure and a kidnapping cannot be ruled out. However, it´s not easy to kidnap someone in via Brera without risking being seen by passers-by."
The man does not seem to be at ease. The questions about Miss Cavollaro disturb him, despite his efforts to hide it. He changes tone abruptly:
"What to say about the people of La Scala? They are the essence of our cultural life, undoubtely. On the other hand, they are a bit like all other artists. They live in a world of their own. Not everything they would like to do is also good for business."
He shughs.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you," says Felicity. "I'm also curious about the death of Ennio Spinola, who worked in your factory. I was wondering if you knew anything about it."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

With great effort Conti holds back a grimace of disappointment and improvises an ironic tone.
"Miss... I see that crime news arouses a particular interest for you. I assure you that Milan has much more interesting things to offer. There are many other better ways to enjoy your stay in town."
He pauses.
"I don´t know if you are trying to insinuate something...
Even if I shouldn´t be obliged to do so... I tell you anyway that I have nothing to do with what happened to him. This Spinola frequented unpleasant and subversive companies. Guys like him put themselves in trouble sooner or later.
"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"No insinuation intended," says Felicity. "I was merely curious. I do have a tendency to stick my nose where it's not wanted, so I shall say no more on the subject. I'm far more concerned with Caterina's well-being, and I shall make every effort to find her. I would like to know more about her. Other than La Scala, what places did she frequent? Where would she go to get away from it all?"

Still using Assess Honesty.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

The man relaxes his temper. He shrugs and then shakes his head.
"I have no idea. From what I have heard, her family and close friends here in Milano do not know where she might be. They are distressed and worried. Perhaps she has met someone lately and just ran away with him. Who knows? But as I already told you... I didn't see her anymore..."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you. I'll have to ask at La Scala and find out what she's been doing and who she's been with recently," says Felicity. "If I find out where she is and why she's been missing, I'll let you know."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Horror on the Orient Express (Trail of Cthulhu)”