January 10 - Lausanne - Edgar´s study

A puzzling headline begins a front-page article found in the Times of London. Three men, all identical in identification, were found dead in the same room of the Chelsea Arms Hotel. Then the home of a valued friend burns to the ground, severely injuring him in the process. It is the beginning of "Horror On The Orient Express" a European campaign set in the winter between January and March of 1923. Over the course of the campaign, the investigators are trying to collect the various pieces of an ancient statue called the Sedefkar Simulacrum. Night falls early then, and each night is long and cold. The campaign is made up of 11 scenarios, taking place in seven nations, the United Kingdom, France, Switzerland, Italy, The Kingdom of Serbs Croats and Slovenes, Bulgaria, and Turkey. All are stops on the path of the Simplon-Orient Express.

Moderator: robertod

robertod
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 4 months

January 10 - Lausanne - Edgar´s study

Post by robertod »

Felicity and Clarence go back to Edgar Wllington´s place. They reunite with Andrew and Archie, who had decided to keep an eye on Wellington. As they get to Rua St. Etienne, Felicity and Clarence find that the shop is closed and there is no trace of their companions all around. Indeed, Andrew and Archie have broken into the house. While searching Egdar's office, the two investigators look through the window every now and then, to check if someone´s coming. At some point, they spot Felicity and Clarence by the side of the road. In short, the group meets again inside the house, in Wellington's studio on the upper floor.

After passing throught the ground floor Felicity and Clarence get upstairs. The upper floor has a kitchen and two bedrooms. The kitchen is a crowded room with a kitchen table and six chairs. Four of the chairs are piled with books. One bedroom is plain with a bed and a bookshelf with a selection of well-read classics. Edgar´s brother, William, is sleeping on the bed. He has a fresh needle mark, one among many in the left arm.

The other bedroom, is narrow and has writing desk. Most likely, this Edgar´s study. Edgar lies in the bed of this room, asleep. There are some objects on the desk. An empty morphine bottle and below, an emptied syringe and a green bottle, mostly full, on which is a label, ‘Ishara’. The container is about the size of an ink bottle. The contents looks remarkably like muddy water. Holding it up to a strong light, one can detect tiny silvery particles suspended in the dank fluid. A spoon, soiled with the liquid of the bottle, is also on the table.

Andrew and Archie have been inside Edgar´s for one hour, more or less. They have been reading Edgar´a diary and searched the study. Aside from the diary and the mysterious bottle, the room, and the house in general, doesn't seem to have much else to offer for the investigation. Some books have been arranged a little hidden away, they are occult texts, but nothing very unusual. Very general texts on witchcraft and black magic that any interested beginner would find in any bookstore.

Much of the diary seem to chronicle the pain that Edgar felt in his everyday life. Most entries are short. The diary shows that the Duke interested Edgar in the occult, and provided him with a kind of dream drug, initially saying only that it would combat insomnia. Edgar relates how he visited a strange place called Ishara in his dreams, and how anything he clutched in his hands as he slept would go into the dream with him. He hid the scroll for safe keeping in Ishara.

From the Diary of Edgar Wellington:
November 3, 1920 — It would have suited our family better if we had died in the war. Dead heroes are more convenient than the broken living.
March 5, 1921 — Now we are in Switzerland. Here we can live in peace.
September 17, 1921 — The Duke’s conversation is without peer. When I listen to him, I forget my own memories.
November 10, 1921 — The books the Duke loaned me have opened my eyes. Perhaps that old Arabic scroll of mine holds mysteries as yet unknown.
February 2, 1922 — I have received the translation of Malon’s scroll. I wonder if this “Sedefkar Simulacrum” yet exists?
June 25, 1922 — The trail ends in 1789. I have written to the owners of the Comte’s house. I would go there, but I cannot leave William alone.
October 3, 1922 — The Duke has given me something for my insomnia. I slept deeply, and had a most vivid dream in a strange village in a kind of other world.
November 12, 1922 — Two nights ago I held a brass button in my hand as I slept, and set it down in Ishara. When I awoke it was gone. The next night I fetched it back in my dream, and woke with it clasped in my hand.
January 1, 1923 — I hold no hope for this New Year. My researches lead nowhere, and soon my habit will cost us our shop. Where will William live then?
January 5, 1923 — I fear I must sell the scroll. The Duke would be interested, but I need another bidder to drive the price against him. I have hidden it in Ishara for safekeeping.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: January 10 - Lausanne - Edgar´s study

Post by Mr. Handy »

"So he didn't keep the scroll in a bank vault after all," says Felicity. "Smart man. Never trust a bank. He's keeping the scroll in this Ishara place, and he's gone to get it now."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 2 years 3 months

Post by SaintMeerkat »

doctor.png
doctor.png (27.27 KiB) Viewed 370 times

Archie followed along with Felicity, and then shook his head. "Ishara?" he spoke softly to Felicity. "I've never heard of an Ishara. Have you?" Then after a pause, "Do you think it's a real location? Or something that only exists in his dreams?"

Archie holds the filled syringe up to his eyes and take a closer look at the silvery particles trying to identify them. Then he delicately takes a sniff of the opening before touching his finger to it and then to his tongue.

OOC:   Can I identify the metal? What about the taste?  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Apparently, it only exists in a dream," says Felicity. "The only place I'd heard of it is in this diary and on the bottle here. Careful with that. This probably isn't the best place for us to take a nap."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

Clarence looks at the sleeping man, “I think he is being used by the Duke for something.” He turns to Archie and Andrew.
“Miss Hayward and I followed the Duke to a house, we saw a bluish light upstairs very similar to the pool of light we found under the asylum.
I think the Duke is very powerful and very dangerous. And knows exactly what he’s about.”
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Post by Mephistophilis »

'At the very least we need to protect Edgar while he's sleeping. It wasn't hard to break in and if someone else had more unpleasant motives...'
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Should we post a watch outside, then?" asks Felicity. "He might take exception if he awakens to find us inside his home."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
robertod
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 4 months

Post by robertod »

Archie sniffs the strange substance and winces a little. The smell and taste is that of a narcotic compound, based on alcohol. The suspended particles are not identifiable, they look like a chemical precipitate, but more information requires a laboratory. After tasting the substance, Archie seems to lose his strength. He braces himself against the chair to avoid falling. His eyes begin to close slowly. In less than a minute, he slumps across the chair and desk, falling asleep.
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 2 years 3 months

Post by SaintMeerkat »

doctor.png
doctor.png (27.27 KiB) Viewed 343 times
As Archie starts to weaken, he hurriedly puts the syringe into Felicity's hand. Then he silently mouths the word, "sorry," before his head hits the desk.

While he has never been able to successfully do it, Archie is familiar with the concept of "active dreaming," and just as his head hits the desk, he starts actively thinking the name, Ishara...Ishara...Ishara... over and over, hoping it will continue into his sleep.
Last edited by SaintMeerkat on Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Oh, dear," says Felicity. "I suppose we'll have to carry him. And most people think I'm the most likely to fall asleep in a strange man's home."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

“Good lord! Just one sniff is all it takes.” Clarence is alarmed. “Archie you silly fool, jeopardising us like this. If Edgar finds us here he will lose all trust in us, but we still have to protect him when he wakes.”
He looks at Andrew.
“Do you think we can manage Archie outside whilst Miss Howard guards Edgar, perhaps?”
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Post by Mephistophilis »

'I think Miss Hayward is right. We should watch from the outside. Let's get that fool outside. Maybe he can guard Edgr in the dream world is such a thing is really possible.'
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Well, he did put a bit on his tongue, too," says Felicity, "but I still wouldn't go sniffing that stuff either." She helps to lift Archie, being stronger than she looks.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Clarence grudgingly admits, only to himself, that Felicity is probably stronger than he is. He leads the way back downstairs and checks the coast is clear before they bring Archie out.
“I hope the Duke can’t materialise wherever he wants to.” He mutters.

Return to “Horror on the Orient Express (Trail of Cthulhu)”