January 10 - Lausanne - Felicity and Clarence

A puzzling headline begins a front-page article found in the Times of London. Three men, all identical in identification, were found dead in the same room of the Chelsea Arms Hotel. Then the home of a valued friend burns to the ground, severely injuring him in the process. It is the beginning of "Horror On The Orient Express" a European campaign set in the winter between January and March of 1923. Over the course of the campaign, the investigators are trying to collect the various pieces of an ancient statue called the Sedefkar Simulacrum. Night falls early then, and each night is long and cold. The campaign is made up of 11 scenarios, taking place in seven nations, the United Kingdom, France, Switzerland, Italy, The Kingdom of Serbs Croats and Slovenes, Bulgaria, and Turkey. All are stops on the path of the Simplon-Orient Express.

Moderator: robertod

robertod
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 4 months

January 10 - Lausanne - Felicity and Clarence

Post by robertod »

Durint the city tour the Duke appears to be warm and affable, offering cigarettes and sharing jokes.

Psychoanalisis: the Duke is a man of many facets, not all of them visible.

Walking up from the shop, the Duke takes Felicity and Clarence to the Cathedral. This huge Gothic edifice is one of the best examples of its type, built between 1235 and 1275 and consecrated by Pope Gregory X. Situated upon a terrace, the investigators have to climb 160 steps to get to it. Inside, the huge vaulted nave soars more than 60 feet above. A variety of monuments and stained glass windows decorate the interior of the church.
The Duke points out one of the oldest statues, that of Otho of Grandson, who was killed in a judicial duel in 1398. The hands of the statue are missing. This statue becomes important later when the investigators enter Dream Lausanne. A separate short tour exhibits the crypts of the church.
Know Some of the cathedral’s foundations are from buildings long antedating the era in which the great church was built.

The next stop is the Musée Cantonal, nearby. Inside this large, recently-constructed, Italian Renaissance-style building is a collection of freshwater conchylia presented to the museum in 1840 by M. de Chaentier; Roman coins, medals, vases, etc., from the ancient settlement on the site of Lausanne and the cantonal library. The library has over 120,000 volumes. The order and completeness of the collection, and the large number of people using the facility is impressive.

The air now sunny and clear, an uphill stroll of about half a mile brings them to a marvelous belvedere overlooking all of Lake Geneva. Alpine vistas stretch in every direction. Far to the southeast, the Duke points out the highest Alps, gleaming with fresh, deep snows.
Beyond them,” he gestures grandly,
Italy.

After strolling for a while in the crisp air, tourists need a bite to eat. The Duke leads them to the evening rendezvous. Le Chat Noir is a large French cafe near the Musée Arlaud, which has a fine gallery of European oils, looking out over the Place de la College. The cafe offers good food, good local wine, and a convivial atmosphere. It is a ten to fifteen minute stroll from the cantonal museum. Having led them to the cafe, the Duke bids them farewell. He has a business appointment in half an hour, but says he will see them at about eight o’clock this evening.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: January 10 - Lausanne - Felicity and Clarence

Post by Mr. Handy »

The stairs were no problem for Felicity, who is youthful and athletic. She has climbed the stairs to the top of the dome at St. Paul's, so this proved no problem whatsoever. "Shall we try to follow him discreetly?" Felicity asks Clarence quietly once the Duke is out of earshot.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

“Business meeting, my foot.” Clarence mutters under his breath as he gives a convivial wave to the departing Duke.
“I’d like to but I’m not much of a sleuth I’m afraid, my dear. But it would be very interesting to know what he’s up to.”
Clarence puts some money on the table and starts walking.
“Better not loose sight of him.”
Spend 2 roll: 3
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'll follow you and keep you in sight," says Felicity as they leave, "but I'll stay out of his sight. That way he can't see both of us together, and I'm a lot more memorable. No offense."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Clarence raised his eyebrows but said nothing, the attitude of these young women was astounding. He set off after the Duke, trying to just keep him in sight and wracking his brain for a n excuse should he be spotted.
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

The Duke resides in a small two-story town house close to the center of the city, along the Rue du Pre. Every window is barred and the curtains are all drawn. The place is a veritable fort. The only access is from the front. The Duke opens the door and closes it slowly behind him. There is no one else on the street at the moment. Although the street does not seem among the busiest in Lausanne, it is still late afternoon and someone could pass by at any moment.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Well, we know where he lives now," says Felicity. "I don't know if we have time to wait for him to leave and follow him from here. He might not leave until it's time to go to the meeting, and we need to get ready for that too."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Clarence takes Felicity’s arm and immediately propels the chattering woman away.
“We mustn’t get too close to the house; he may look out of a window. Now you stand here in this shadow and keep an eye on the front for 5 minutes while I pop round and check the back. I don’t trust that duke as far as I could throw him.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Nor I," says Felicity, taking up a position in the shade, "and I probably can't throw him as far as you."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Clarence looks for a way round to the back of the house.
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

The front door is really the only access. All the windows have bars. If the investigators are going to try and get in, they must find a way through the front door. Searching around, however, at a certain point, Archie notices a strange light that comes from one of the rooms at the second floor. The light passes through a gap left by the curtains behind the glass. It is a white light, strangely tending to the blue. While the two investigators are staring at it, it begins to fade out until it disappears.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"That could be his room," says Felicity, making a mental note of its position. "I don't know if we can accomplish anything else here."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Clarence looks at the light suspiciously,
“I don’t think there’s any point in waiting here for him to come out.” He says slowly. “Does that light remind you of the pool of light we found under the asylum? I think he may have just used another one.”
“Let’s get to the cafe.”
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

There are still three hours before the time of the appoiontment at the café.
What do Felicity and Clarence do during this time? They stay at the café or do something else?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We should be early," says Felicity, "but not that early. I'll want to change my clothes beforehand, but maybe we should catch up with the others first and see how they've got on."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

OOC:   "Please move to the other thread "January 10 - Lausanne - Edgar´s study"  

Return to “Horror on the Orient Express (Trail of Cthulhu)”