January 10 - Lausanne

A puzzling headline begins a front-page article found in the Times of London. Three men, all identical in identification, were found dead in the same room of the Chelsea Arms Hotel. Then the home of a valued friend burns to the ground, severely injuring him in the process. It is the beginning of "Horror On The Orient Express" a European campaign set in the winter between January and March of 1923. Over the course of the campaign, the investigators are trying to collect the various pieces of an ancient statue called the Sedefkar Simulacrum. Night falls early then, and each night is long and cold. The campaign is made up of 11 scenarios, taking place in seven nations, the United Kingdom, France, Switzerland, Italy, The Kingdom of Serbs Croats and Slovenes, Bulgaria, and Turkey. All are stops on the path of the Simplon-Orient Express.

Moderator: robertod

robertod
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 4 months

January 10 - Lausanne

Post by robertod »

The Orient Express pulls into Lausanne at 9:45 A.M., and departs soon after that in a whirl of smoke and steam, leaving the investigators in a vague group, bleary after the party a few hours before. An open cafe beckons nearby. The rising sun struggles to pierce the dense blanket of mist shrouding everything. The atmosphere is daunting, alienating. As the investigators step outside, a sleepy-eyed porter, Jean-Claude, appears. In the warmth of his office, he advises them about hotels and transport.

The small city of Lausanne is located in the French-speaking area of Switzerland. Many of the 70,000 inhabitants also speak German. For reasons of beauty, climate, and hospitality, Lausanne has drawn foreign settlers for more than a century: currently more than one in seven residents are not Swiss. The town is built upon hills that descend to the shore of Lake Geneva, making the majority of the streets fairly steep. Horse-drawn cabs can be hailed from the station and a tram line runs through the city.

The Conference of Lausanne is currently being held in the city, attended by representatives from Turkey, Britain, Italy and France. Its purpose and eventual outcome is the Treaty of Lausanne, which will, in effect, establish the Republic of Turkey, and write finis to the Ottoman Empire. There are many Turkish diplomats on town, particularly at the luxurious Beau-Rivage Palace.

According to the letter the investigators got from the Lorien, a man named Edgar Wellington has one of the scrolls. Wellington´s address in Lausanne is N. 50 Rue St. Etienne, which is found on a cobblestone street, a quiet corner in a placid town. A weathered sign marks the building.

Wellington Fils
Taxidermie
50, Rue St. Etienne

The shop window is dark and lacking a display. Heavy crimson curtains prevent any view of the interior, and similar curtains cover the window in the door. A small sign in several languages declares that the shop is open, but the door is locked.

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: January 10 - Lausanne

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Perhaps we should check round the back," says Felicity.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 2 years 3 months

Post by SaintMeerkat »

doctor.png
doctor.png (27.27 KiB) Viewed 302 times
Archie walks with his companions to the store and gives a little nod when he sees the sign, confirming they are in the right location. He absentmindedly rubs his left arm for a few seconds before self-consciously forcing himself to stop. When he sees that the place is closed, he sighs, disappointed. He thinks for a moment before nodding. "Yes, let's see what's around back."
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Post by Mephistophilis »

Andrew is a practical man. While the other peek around the back he raps on the door firmly. 'Hello there, anybody in?'
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

Clarence stays at front with Andrew. He steps back to get a view of the windows, looking for any curtain twitching as Andrew knocks at the door.
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

Knocking the door, soon brings a man in response. The man is about thirty-five, but almost appears to be in his fifties. Little hair remains on his head, and dark circles ring his eyes, giving him a haunted look. He has a Gitanes cigarette in his mouth. Althought there is something about his movements that speaks of bullying, the man is perfectly polite and, in his way, shy. Presuming they are customers, he introduces himself as Edgar Wellington, the owner of the shop.

A blazing fire keeps the room uncomfortably hot. Animals of every description pose in surreal, conflicting tableaux. Large vases overfl ow with dried lavender and other aromatic fl owers, but beneath these rich, heady scents are more disturbing odors of decaying flesh, damp fur, and formaldehyde.

As he hears that the visitors speak English, he warms to them and invites them upstairs for tea. He pumps them for information about England and their travels, all the while being a very generous host.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you," says Felicity. "I'm Felicity Hayward. Our travels are really only getting started. We went from London to Paris and boarded the Orient Express there, and Lausanne is the first stop."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

“Clarence Dalrymple, antiquarian. Lausanne is very beautiful, you are lucky to live here, Mr Wellington. Have you been here a while?”
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

'Andrew Murray, archaeologist. Delighted to meet another student of history. And an Englishman to boot,' he says warmly. 'Indeed, what brings you to this part of the continent, it can't just be the...ah, peculiar attractions of the tobacco.' He takes out one of his own cigarettes and lights a Gold Flake, a proper British tobacco, not this pungent French rubbish.
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

Edgar tells a bit about his life. He served in the Great War, and was emotionally destroyed by the butchery he witnessed. Returning to England, he found life at home impossible. His friends were dead, and his family, with the exception of his brother, William, could not understand the returned soldier’s pain. He left with his invalid brother and their savings, and found sanctuary in neutral Switzerland. They settled here in Lausanne, for its mix of smallness and cosmopolitan life. The presence of a reputable sanitarium gives him hope of remedying his brother’s condition.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

'Most sorry to hear about your experiences old man, a rum time.' He nods, remembering some of his own during in the war. 'I do hope they can help your brother with his injuries. The say the air here is very therapeutic.'

OOC:   Had we agreed whether we'd bring a message from Lorien? Ask directly about the Sedefkar Simulacrum?  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"What are your hobbies and interests?" Felicity asks Edgar.

I don't remember, but I think we should broach the subject at some point.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by SaintMeerkat »

doctor.png
doctor.png (27.27 KiB) Viewed 254 times
"I'm Dr. Archibald McElhaney, and I'm a physician. Please call me Archie."

"If there is anything that I can do for you or your brother please let me know. I will be happy to examine him physically, but wounds of the mind are not my expertise, and sometimes are much more difficult to heal."
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

Edgar shrugs and replies sadly and disconsolately.
"I really don't have hobbies. I spend most of my time taking care of my brother William. I work a lot in my shop... to avoid thinking about the past and other things. Other than that, I have my books to give me some company. I prefer them to people. They don't ask me questions. I communicate with them only when I want. They don't expect anything from me. "
While Edgar speaks, the door to the parlor opens and in walks Edgar’s brother, William.
William nods to the guests as Edgar introduces them. Edgar appends the introductions by explaining that William’s war injuries have left him mute. He appears as a docile and unemotional man with permanent physical injuries. Head wounds paralyzed the muscles in his eyes so that now he can only stare straight ahead. He move his head to turn his gaze towards the visitors, rather like a panning camera. Several metal plates which replace portions of his skull were surgically inserted and now distort the shape of his head. William serves himself a cup of tea and sits down at the table, staring at the visitors. William keeps staring throughout the conversation.

There's not much Archie can do for William, in medical terms. Despite the physical conditions of disability, however, Archie knows that William should be living in a better situation in terms of stimulating environment. Whatever his brain injury is, isolation from the rest of the world with a depressed brother does not help.

Previously said:   Had we agreed whether we'd bring a message from Lorien? Ask directly about the Sedefkar Simulacrum?  
OOC:   No, you haven´t  
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

“But you have such beautiful scenery here about. I’m surprised you don’t enjoy walking out. Your taxidermy, do you have many customers?” Clarence asks.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Does historical research interest you?" asks Felicity. "Or you, William?" She has a sneaking suspicion that William wrote the letter, and not Edgar.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Andrew nods his greeting to William and takes the opportunity to study the two brothers, looking for tells or other signs of dishonesty, since he already knows Edgar is lying about having no interests. He awaits his response to Felicity's question. Andrew places a hand over his breast pocket, feeling the crinkling of the paper from the letter sent to Christian Lorien. Biding his time.
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by SaintMeerkat »

doctor.png
doctor.png (27.27 KiB) Viewed 235 times
Archie has seen a lot of grievous wounds in his time as a sawbones, so he is able to keep his face positive and smiling when he sees the full extent of William's injuries. He walks over and extends his hand to shake the man's hand, in part to check his grip strength. He can't turn off the doctor instincts.
"It's a pleasure to meet you, William," he says before turning back to Edgar.

"You know, some stimulation would probably be beneficial. Are there any tasks around your shop that you think he could help with? Or maybe some simple manual labor that would get him out?"
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

William gives Felicity a confused look, then he turns to Edgar, as if not knowing if and what to answer.

"Historical interests?" Edgar says, ignoring William´s behaviour.
Yes ... every now and then some history books may enter my reading schedule. "

Edgar shows an embarrassed smile to Doctor Archie.
"My brother gets all the care and attention he needs. I assure you."

That said, Edgar quickly changes tone of voice, for one a little bothered and ironic at the same time.
"So ... something tells me you didn't come here to buy stuffed animals. What do I owe this visit to, if I may ask?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"During our time in Paris," says Felicity, "we paid a visit to a Dr. Lorien in Poissy. He had received a letter from you."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Horror on the Orient Express (Trail of Cthulhu)”