January 08 - Poissy

A puzzling headline begins a front-page article found in the Times of London. Three men, all identical in identification, were found dead in the same room of the Chelsea Arms Hotel. Then the home of a valued friend burns to the ground, severely injuring him in the process. It is the beginning of "Horror On The Orient Express" a European campaign set in the winter between January and March of 1923. Over the course of the campaign, the investigators are trying to collect the various pieces of an ancient statue called the Sedefkar Simulacrum. Night falls early then, and each night is long and cold. The campaign is made up of 11 scenarios, taking place in seven nations, the United Kingdom, France, Switzerland, Italy, The Kingdom of Serbs Croats and Slovenes, Bulgaria, and Turkey. All are stops on the path of the Simplon-Orient Express.

Moderator: robertod

robertod
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 4 months

Re: January 08 - Poissy

Post by robertod »

Christian looks sad and worried as he replies to Archie.
"Yes, the opinion of a colleague is always welcome. My wife had never had problems with arthritis. It all started a few months after we moved here. While she was pruning the garden hedges she felt a sudden pain in her arm. Then, it has gotten worse and worse and now she can barely move it."

Examining the little girl's arm, Archie notices that the wound is a relatively serious burn, as if caused by boiling water. This is indeed inexplicable, because the coffee was barely warm. What is also difficult to explain is that, despite a little coffee also wet the child´s knee, there´s no trace of a burn there.
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 2 years 3 months

Post by SaintMeerkat »

doctor.png
"Oh, I have never actually been in a show, but I sang in the glee club at Brichester. When my mates in the club learned about it, they insisted that I sing with them on the revue to raise money for the children's ward at Barts' ....I mean, St. Bartholomew. Couldn't say no to that, now could I?"

Archie pays very close attention to the girl's arm, but he decides not to bring it up to the father just yet.

Archie turns back to Christian. "I would be happy to take a look, but I wouldn't want to disturb her if she's resting. I know how hard it can be to get to sleep when you're in pain."

Can I tell what caused Christian's scar?
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

Clarence shudders at the mention of amateur dramatics and sits huddled at the kitchen table. When the coffee spills, he leaps up to find a cloth and wipes up the mess.
“Like Father like Daughter don’t you think?” He says when Christian is in the bathroom.
“That was far too much fuss, look this coffee is barely warm. Do you think it might be a hereditary nervous disorder, Archie?”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Did you notice that all of their health problems have to do with their arms?" asks Felicity.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

“Exactly.” Clarence agrees. “Too much of a coincidence.”
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by SaintMeerkat »

When Clarence pulls Archie aside, he shakes his head and leans in, speaking sotto voce. "I wouldn't know. That particular issue isn't in my bailiwick. The Austrians and Germans are doing some interesting things with the brain and mental illness right now, but it will probably be a decade or so before we catch up in London."

Then leaning toward Felicity, he adds,"Correlation doesn't always equal causation. The three injuries don't necessarily look that much alike, but it's definitely worth keeping in mind as we explore this mystery."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I don't know what caused the injuries," says Felicity, "but I do find it interesting that a couple of the statue pieces are arms."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Post by Mephistophilis »

Andrew raises an eyebrow. 'Presumably any body part could be represented by the statue.' Then he realises the implication of what he has said, blushes crimson, and shuts up.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Felicity tries to suppress a grin, but not very hard.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

When Felicity makes the remark about the Lorien's injuries, everyone notices that all the injuries are in the left arm. Dinner is cooked by Christian Lorien, and is excellent. Veronique Lorien comes down and is introduced to the group. They can see that her left hand is really bent and twisted by the arthritis. A pleasant meal is had by all, except for Quitterie, who goes to bed early. As the guests settle in, they notice an absence of religious icons in the house.

Christian's wound is an infection, initially perhaps caused by a trivial cut. The infection appears to have worsened due to neglect in disinfection. Mrs Lorien's arthritis is serious, but it is strange to find this state of arthritis in such a young person.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you for your hospitality," says Felicity. "The food was magnificent!"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

“A home cooked meal- just what the doctor ordered!” Clarence finished his meal with great satisfaction.
“I hope we can repay you with some useful historical fact finding!”
He takes out his notebook and scribbles ‘statue arm in grounds’. And then apologies to the others.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

OOC:   Andrew has Theology 1 - can he deduce why there are no religious icons in Catholic France?  
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

OOC:   Yes, the most likely reason is that they are protestant.  
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Noticing the lack of Catholic iconography around the house Andrew realises that the Loriens are probably protestants. Like all right thinking Englishmen, Andrew is a member of the Church of England and therefore nominally a protestant as well, but in a more understated English fashion of course. He simply nods to himself in approval, 'At least they're not papists,' he mutters.
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

The rest of the night passes uneventfully. The morning is clear and relatively warm. Using the old gate entrance as a base point and making sense of the papers found in the catacombs, the group locate the position of the cellar steps. The top step is under nearly two feet of earth and charred brick, near the base of a large oak tree. They must dig. Excavating the long staircase takes the whole of this winter’s day. The sun is low and a cold wind is rising when they clear the last shovel of earth away from the 18th step and the old steel door reveals itself at the bottom. Chains and crowbars are necessary to budge the door, which has both rusted into its frame and become wedged under collapsed brickwork. Upon opening the door, damp cool air greets the investigators. The hall beyond leads back toward the walls and outer gate.

The foundations were made by excellent masons and is quite sound, although the roots of nearby trees have pushed through some joints in the stone work, bulging through like thick, pallid snakes, and making movement difficult at points. Exposed root terminates in a five-way juncture, like arms ending in hands. Rooms empty off the hall to either side, but there are no wine racks or mounds of old furniture. As the investigators walk down the passage, each room proves to be a prison cell. Some doors are locked, but through the peep holes skeletons can be seen beyond. This is not an ordinary cellar. Several larger rooms contain torture implements, cages, and yet more skeletons. Two skeletons are chained together, one in the rotting remains of a bridal veil.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm glad the Comte is dead," says Felicity with a shudder. "Probably. Well, let's search for something that looks like a statue piece. Presumably the left arm."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

“Oh my word.” Exclaims Clarence. “Just as well this has been buried. Let’s make sure Madame and Little Miss Lorien don’t see this. Are the doors still locked or can we gain entry?”
He tries to open the first door.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Shuddering, Andrew looks at the remnants of the infernal place, 'I am glad they burned it to the ground! If only the Count had gone down with the ship.'
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by SaintMeerkat »

doctor.png
doctor.png (27.27 KiB) Viewed 402 times
By the time the passage is finally cleared, Archie's back and arms are aching. He hasn't worked this hard since he helped out his grandfather on his farm as a young teenager. He sighs with relief as they are finally able to make it down the stairway and into the old basement. With each new horror in the rooms, he makes a visible reaction, shaking his head. He gasps as he recognizes the bridal veil and the implications therein.

"Those poor wretches..." he said softly. He goes back to where Clarence has opened the door and goes in.

If there is a body in this one, can I gather any information from the condition or age of the skeleton?

Return to “Horror on the Orient Express (Trail of Cthulhu)”