January 08 - Poissy

A puzzling headline begins a front-page article found in the Times of London. Three men, all identical in identification, were found dead in the same room of the Chelsea Arms Hotel. Then the home of a valued friend burns to the ground, severely injuring him in the process. It is the beginning of "Horror On The Orient Express" a European campaign set in the winter between January and March of 1923. Over the course of the campaign, the investigators are trying to collect the various pieces of an ancient statue called the Sedefkar Simulacrum. Night falls early then, and each night is long and cold. The campaign is made up of 11 scenarios, taking place in seven nations, the United Kingdom, France, Switzerland, Italy, The Kingdom of Serbs Croats and Slovenes, Bulgaria, and Turkey. All are stops on the path of the Simplon-Orient Express.

Moderator: robertod

robertod
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 4 months

Re: January 08 - Poissy

Post by robertod »

As the investigators wander through this ghastly prison, they eventually become aware of dim light ahead, coming from the final room.
The faint glow comes from roses of fantastic colors: aquamarine, violet, orange, and grassgreen. These flowers hang from thick rose vines which have an oily black sheen and drip black ichor from long thorns. The vines have grown through the remains of those who died here so that they support the bent and twisted skeletons, which are thus tormented even in death. Flowers bloom in empty sockets, and the vines have pulled the dead into strange poses. At the base of the mass lies the left arm of a statue. It is human-sized, and glows faintly.
OOC:   OOC: Stability test (1D6, you need to get 4,5 or 6 to succeed) for seeing the whole ghastly prison. 1 Stability point is lost if the roll failed.  
You can deduce that the bodies are at least a century old. More accurate dating require forensics.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Felicity takes it all in stride. "There's the arm," she says. "Let's get some gardening shears and cut it loose. I don't like the look of those thorns."

Stability test (no points spent):
1d6
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

“Incredible!” Clarence breathes. “The arm must have magical properties. Although I’d be hesitant to touch it myself.”
Stability roll: 6
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Post by Mephistophilis »

Andrew crouches down beside Archie to look at the bodies. 'What do you think happened to them?' he asks, looking closer at their contorted forms. The way they are twisted and angled, what happened to them, what horrors did they endure? He shudders involuntarily at the thought and screws his eyes shut trying to block out the images that come into his mind.

At Clarence's observation he concurs, 'If that thing was really affecting the family, can we safely start collecting the whole statue? Perhaps there is some way we can store it without coming to harm?

Andrew has Forensics 1 if that will help examine the bodies. Can he think of any way that they might store/carry the Sedefkar Simulacrum without being harmed? Lead lined box?

L1d6
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 2 years 3 months

Post by SaintMeerkat »

doctor.png
doctor.png (27.27 KiB) Viewed 654 times
Archie shook his head and shuddered. He looked over at Andrew and said darkly, "There's not enough left of these poor wretches for me to tell. The skeletons have been here awhile, though. At least a hundred years." He finally turned toward the part of the statue and said to the others. "I am praying that getting this out of here will save the family."

Stability Roll

1d6
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

Cutting away the vines completely enough to avoid all damage takes about twenty minutes. As soon as the vines are cut and the arm removed, the rose blossoms begin to decay. The arm is smooth and relatively featureless, like china, and cool to the touch. Inspected carefully, a repeating pattern of arms can be seen in the ceramic. When taken away from the roses, it ceases to glow.

The bodies are of quite young people, but it is very difficult to deduce the precise cause of death or other injuries. One of them has a smashed skull. Others have joint injuries or minor abrasions to the bone, in several parts of the body. It seems they died under torture. Only two have clothes, now in tatters. None is carrying anything.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Keeping his voice low, Andrew points out the smashed skull to Archie. 'Look at this damage to the joints and bones. They were tortured, even if that isn't what killed all of them.' He takes a deep breath and looks away for a moment. 'See the teeth, they were young, and he jabs the tatters of clothes, most were naked. It's disgusting.'

He stands, 'I wish I had brought my camera with me, I could have taken some pictures of the scene, to capture these strange roses and to give something to the police when they come to investigate these bodies.' He looks closely at the decaying flowers but gardening is not really his strong suite. He has staff for that sort of thing.

OOC:   I'll try and pick up a camera the next time we're in a town/city!  
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

“I’m not sure how we’d explain all this plus our presence here to the police; and we’d be here for days wading through all the bureaucracy. Plus I don’t suppose Monsieur Lorien will like all the hassle.
How about we take the arm and then suggest to the Loriens we cover the entrance and get out of here?”
Clarence wipes his brow.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Andrew looks at Clarence in disgust. 'The least these poor people deserve is a proper burial.'
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"All of these unfortunate people died well over a century ago," says Felicity. "Nobody's going to suspect us of having killed them, though I may end up committing murder if anyone dares to claim I'm that old. We just tell the police the truth, or at least part of it. We came here to find the cellar of Fenalik's home, and we found it."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by SaintMeerkat »

doctor.png
doctor.png (27.27 KiB) Viewed 619 times
"Aye...the poor wretches do deserve a burial," Archie said sadly. "But we don't have the time or the means." Archie paused for a moment over the twisted bones, eyes squeezed tightly closed as his lips moved ever so slightly.

Then he turned to the others. "My vote is to leave the police out of the loop. There is no way they aren't going to detain us for a few days."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"They're not going to think we're responsible for torture and murder cases from the 18th century," says Felicity. "I'm quite confident I can sweet talk the police. They're only men, after all. At worst, they'll ask us not to leave Paris for a few days, and I can think of plenty of worse places to be stuck."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Clarence shakes his head.
“We’ll be snarled up in red tape for days. Plus, it will likely alert whoever it is who’s also looking for the statue.
As Felicity says, these poor sods died long ago. This isn’t much different to an Iron Age burial chamber in itself. There’s nothing we can do other than remove the evil presence of the arm.”
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Andrew is clearly fuming. 'There is a thread of common decency that separates civilised man from the savages. We are British damn it!'

He says nothing more for several minutes, seemingly lost for words and overcome with anger until he eventually adds, 'May I suggest we seek Monsieur Lorien's wishes in his own house?'
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"An excellent suggestion," says Felicity.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

OOC:   So, are you taking the arm? Who´s the one who takes it?  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We need to bring the arm with us," says Felicity. "I'm hoping the Lorien family will be healed now, but we don't want the same thing to happen to us. Perhaps we should avoid touching it with our bare hands but find something in which to wrap it. I suppose we can store it in one of my steamer trunks when we get back to the hotel, along with any other pieces we find later. I brought plenty of clothes, but there's still room left for all the things I was going to buy. I'll just have to save some room and get some of them on the way back."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by SaintMeerkat »

doctor.png
doctor.png (27.27 KiB) Viewed 596 times
Archie nodded, agreeing with Felicity. "Yes, we need to take it with us, and we need to avoid touching it at all costs," he said as he shrugged off his suit jacket and dropped it over the arm. He looked around nervously. "I trust you all know what you need to do, should this go terribly wrong."

Archie leaned over and slowly lowered his hand toward the cloth covered arm.
Spoiler:
If Archie feels any sort of negative magic or energy of any kind, he will stop and withdraw his hand while the group comes up with an alternate plan.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

“Careful, old boy.” Clarence watches apprehensively.
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

Silence falls into the gloomy underground. The young doctor bends over to grab the object. As he picks it up, something seems to be different from what he expected.

Seen up close, the material of the piece is made of rock. The surface of the arm is slightly uneven. The stone has been finely decorated with very small representations of an entire human figure. They cover the entire surface and can only be identified by observing the piece very close. Although it is undoubtedly made of rock, the object is very light. Oddly light. Apart from that, nothing else happens.

Return to “Horror on the Orient Express (Trail of Cthulhu)”