January 07 - Paris - Ward 7

A puzzling headline begins a front-page article found in the Times of London. Three men, all identical in identification, were found dead in the same room of the Chelsea Arms Hotel. Then the home of a valued friend burns to the ground, severely injuring him in the process. It is the beginning of "Horror On The Orient Express" a European campaign set in the winter between January and March of 1923. Over the course of the campaign, the investigators are trying to collect the various pieces of an ancient statue called the Sedefkar Simulacrum. Night falls early then, and each night is long and cold. The campaign is made up of 11 scenarios, taking place in seven nations, the United Kingdom, France, Switzerland, Italy, The Kingdom of Serbs Croats and Slovenes, Bulgaria, and Turkey. All are stops on the path of the Simplon-Orient Express.

Moderator: robertod

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: January 07 - Paris - Ward 7

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I don't like the look of that water," whispers Felicity, "or what might be under it. What did those creatures say?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Post by Mephistophilis »

'Those four muttered something in French, I didn't catch it,' says Andrew. 'But the fifth one, he came from somewhere else. He wasn't like the others, didn't have that odd hoarse voice. Well he said something about having brought something for them. Then he said he'd be away for a few days. Frankly I have no idea what they were discussing but it did sound like they managed to roll away that rock blocking the tunnel and that man went through it!'
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"That must have been the man we're looking for," says Felicity. "And he must have been talking to his friends who live underground, to whom Etienne referred."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 2 years 3 months

Post by SaintMeerkat »

doctor.png
doctor.png (27.27 KiB) Viewed 377 times
Archie's heart still pounding from the close call, he heads back to the pool cave. Once he's gathered his nerve, he says to Felictity. "One of the men, who seemed to come from the opposite direction, said that he had something for them and that he would be away a few days."

"I agree. This does sound like the man that we're seeking."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Shall we see if we can follow him, then?" asks Felicity.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
robertod
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 4 months

Post by robertod »

Returning to the main tunnel, it remains empty and silent. The investigators note there is blood on the floor. A trail of drops of blood that starts from the boulder that blocks the tunnel and goes towards the room of the corpses. The boulder blocking the exit is placed in such a way as to cover an opening in the wall. Here begins a minor tunnel. The boulder is heavy, but the combined force of three people can move it. The new tunnel, however, is quite narrow. The investigators would have to walk bent over, almost on all fours, one behind the other pass throught. Also, in case the tunnel is blocked again, the stone could not be moved from inside the narrow tunnel. There is no room for three people to apply force.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Do we go down there?" asks Felicity. "We could easily be trapped. Although, clearly the man below knows a way out through this tunnel, or he wouldn't have left that way."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

'Quite the conundrum. If that young Alfie had made it this would be right up his street. However, we are where we are. As
I see it we have two options, both hazardous in their own way. That is, if we want to find out who or what is behind that stone.'
Andrew pauses for dramatic effect. 'Either we leave one or two people to guard the entrance, while the rest crawl through that tunnel, knowing that if those left behind are overpowered or chased off the others can be sealed inside. Or, we send only one person through the tunnel while the others guard it. None of these are attractive options.'
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"It would take three of us to move this stone away from this side," says Felicity. "Guarding this end with only one or two doesn't sound good to me either. Which leaves us with the option of sending one through, or putting off the decision and exploring this area first. But that means we might run into those...creatures."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Looking over his three companions, Andrew takes off his jacket and hands it to Felicity, rolling up his sleeves. He starts to look around the outside of the rock for handholds. 'Gentlemen, it seems we will have a little exertion.'
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by SaintMeerkat »

doctor.png
doctor.png (27.27 KiB) Viewed 348 times
Archie looks at the muddy ruined mess that the caves have made of his pants and shoes, and shrugs, deciding to leave his jacket on. At least, he might be able to salvage the shirt.

"Very well, it looks like it will just be the two of us; here we go..." he said as he joined Andrew, and put a shoulder against the rock. "Whenever you're ready..." he said, tensing for the spring.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Be careful," says Felicity. "Clarence and I will stand guard."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

“I just hope those beasts don’t return this way.” Clarence mutters.
“I suppose you must have the electric torch, Andrew. Felicity and I will make do with the other one, somehow.”
robertod
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 4 months

Post by robertod »

The tunnel increases in size as Archie and Andrews continue, to the point where the two are able to walk on their feet. At the same time, the traces of blood decrease progressively until disappearing. The investigators are in another ancient catacomb, lined with burial niches that have been emptyed of their bones. The passageway continue for several hundeds of yards until ending in a wall, being an opening on the floor the only way to proceed. The underground tunnel is connected to a small cave, throught an opening on its floor. Out of the cave is the beach of gray sand and a lake.The beach ends are indeed close to a cavernous cavity that penetrates the rocky substance of a hill from where the investigators came from. Archie and Andriew ended up in a small lake island, washed by the lake small waves and dotted with fragments of lifeless branches.

It is a vaguely circular islet located at one corner of the lake. It is connected to the southeastern shore of the lake by a small rusted iron suspension bridge. The islet is deserted and devoid of buildings. The chaotic weed vegetation doesn´t appear to have met human hand recently, suggesting that the place is not frequented, neither during the day. The islet includes a lonely mound, covered by a small group of skeletal shrubs. It only takes a few minutes to fully inspect the place.

The lake is located in a park. Andrews feels something familiar about this environment. He has been to this park before. The stranger who spied on them outside the library! The man with the fedora hat, who kept his face covered by the raincoat and a scarf. Andrew had followed him right up to this park, when the strangers seemed to disappear into the fog. It is late at night, the whole park is deserted and silent. However, Archie and Andriew spot the shadows of two prostitutes strolling near the lake shore.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Felicity keeps watch by the light of the regular torch, hoping those creatures don't return.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Clarence whispers to Felicity,
“If we hear the beasts coming back what’s the plan? Try to double back to our pool or dash after the others?”
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

'I chased that man to this park, the one watching us in the library. You think it could be the same man we're following now?' asks Andrew

Spying the prostitutes he says, 'Say, perhaps these ladies saw something, how's your French. And I'd say we'd need a few francs as well.'
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm not sure," Felicity whispers back. "If we abandon this chamber for the pool, the creatures could seal the tunnel, and we wouldn't be able to move it without help. Although maybe we can convince someone in Ward 7 to come with and help us move it. They might be crazy enough to come down here. If we follow the others, we could all be sealed on the other side."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by SaintMeerkat »

doctor.png
doctor.png (27.27 KiB) Viewed 317 times
Archie looks around at the park. He shakes his head at Andrew. "I remember you mentioning it. This is so weird..." his voice trails off.

"My French is decent. I spent most of my francs on wine and food for Paul Mandrin, but I should have enough to reward them for some information."
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

“Okay, let’s just hope for the best.” Clarence strains his ears, ready to hear the slightest noise.”

Return to “Horror on the Orient Express (Trail of Cthulhu)”