January 07 - Paris - Meeting Paul Mandrin

A puzzling headline begins a front-page article found in the Times of London. Three men, all identical in identification, were found dead in the same room of the Chelsea Arms Hotel. Then the home of a valued friend burns to the ground, severely injuring him in the process. It is the beginning of "Horror On The Orient Express" a European campaign set in the winter between January and March of 1923. Over the course of the campaign, the investigators are trying to collect the various pieces of an ancient statue called the Sedefkar Simulacrum. Night falls early then, and each night is long and cold. The campaign is made up of 11 scenarios, taking place in seven nations, the United Kingdom, France, Switzerland, Italy, The Kingdom of Serbs Croats and Slovenes, Bulgaria, and Turkey. All are stops on the path of the Simplon-Orient Express.

Moderator: robertod

robertod
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 4 months

Re: January 07 - Paris - Meeting Paul Mandrin

Post by robertod »

Guilmart sighs heavily and his thoughtfull face becomes full of indecision and dilemma.
Then he addresses the investigators with a proposal.

"Listen ... I can't guarantee that the killer you're looking for is this strange patient. But maybe I can help you with your investigations, if you think it will be useful to you. I can sneak you into ward 7 and have you talk to the patients down there. It would have to be late at night. As I told you, there´s a group of patients who might know something. In their delusions, they speak of the man from below tormenting them. They have very different biographies, and it´s strange that their delusions converge on this thing. However... my help comes with a price. If they find out I let someone in I lose my job and even if I am hating what I do, there is no other opportunity in sight. How much would you be willing to offer me if I help you?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"That sounds good to me," says Felicity. "We'll also need to know what you know about the patients there before we talk to them. It'll help us connect with them. We'll compensate you well for your help. How much do you think would be fair?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 2 years 3 months

Post by SaintMeerkat »

A grin spreads across Archie's face. He sighs with relief and takes another deep sip from the wineglass.

"Yes, most definitely. I don't want to speak for the rest of the group, but I would love to join you and Miss Heyward for a late night visit to this ward. Perhaps even do a little good while I'm down there."
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

“Between us I think we could help with a new job if one is not forthcoming. At this rate one of us might be needing a private nurse in the near future. And our patron may require one too.” Replies Clarence.
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

Paul Mandrin is asking for a somewhat generous cash compensation. This would guarantee him a good period of economic security if he wanted to change job. The requested money falls within the monetary availability of the investigators without problems.

"Patients locked up in ward 7 are irrecoverable and abandoned by relatives. Alone in the world. All psychotic cases, with symptoms of delusions. None of them have had violent behavior so far, but this type of patient is completely unpredictable. I have no idea how they can react to the presence of strangers they have never seen before. Bear in mind that they have not been in contact with the outside world for years."

He further lowers his voice.

"Show up tomorrow night at 11.00 PM, two blocks north along the road leading to the Asylum gates."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, it's a date," says Felicity. "Do you know the patients' names, or their personal backgrounds?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by SaintMeerkat »

doctor.png
doctor.png (27.27 KiB) Viewed 429 times
"We will be there," Archie assured the nurse. "And you will be handsomely compensated."

Archie gets out a pad from his jacket pocket and gets ready to write down any names Paul might share.
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

“We will be sure to dress as inconspicuously and unremarkably as possible so as to blend in.” Clarence assures him, looking hard at Felicity.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Very well, I shall dress down for the occasion," says Felicity. "What do the female nurses wear? One of their uniforms would make a good disguise."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Post by Mephistophilis »

Patting his Webley for reassurance, Andrew nods, 'We'll dress appropriately for the occasion.'
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by SaintMeerkat »

Archie scratched his chin and looked around. "I don't think I brought any appropriate attire. We may need to visit some shops and dirty a few things up..."
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

Paul is a little thoughtful when Felicity asks for the names of the patients in ward 7, as if it were somehow incongruous that those abandoned and forgotten ones still have names.
"The one who is more talkative and with whom I can get you to explain the things I need is called Jacque. You recognize him by his long gray hair. I don't remember the others. They rarely interact with me."

Return to “Horror on the Orient Express (Trail of Cthulhu)”