January 05 - The Doom Train

A puzzling headline begins a front-page article found in the Times of London. Three men, all identical in identification, were found dead in the same room of the Chelsea Arms Hotel. Then the home of a valued friend burns to the ground, severely injuring him in the process. It is the beginning of "Horror On The Orient Express" a European campaign set in the winter between January and March of 1923. Over the course of the campaign, the investigators are trying to collect the various pieces of an ancient statue called the Sedefkar Simulacrum. Night falls early then, and each night is long and cold. The campaign is made up of 11 scenarios, taking place in seven nations, the United Kingdom, France, Switzerland, Italy, The Kingdom of Serbs Croats and Slovenes, Bulgaria, and Turkey. All are stops on the path of the Simplon-Orient Express.

Moderator: robertod

aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Re: January 05 - The Doom Train

Post by aine »

“By Jove, We’re back! But out of the frying pan and into the fire - stop the steam and pull on the brakes- there’s a train ahead!” Clarence calls and leaps to the great brake lever to pull it.
Spend 2 athletics? Roll: 1
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We won't stop in time!" calls Felicity. "Brace for impact!" She follows her own advice.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 2 years 3 months

Post by SaintMeerkat »

doctor.png
doctor.png (27.27 KiB) Viewed 863 times
"I think you've got the right idea, Clarence," Archie shouted as he sprang to his friend's side and grabbed his hands, helping to tug the lever back, bracing his feet against the inevitable forces that would attempt to launch him forward.

Spending 1 from Athletics, which is currently at 8.

1d6

Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Post by Mephistophilis »

Andrew stares in horror at the approaching train, he glances off to the ground rapidly rushing past, considering for an infinitesimal moment jumping before immediately realising he would be dashed to pieces on impact.

He braces himself and attempts to assist the others in pulling the brake lever.

HL(pd2)1d6+2
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Felicity also tries to apply the brake with all her might.

Athletics roll (3 points spent) to help apply the brake:
1d6+3
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
robertod
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 4 months

Post by robertod »

The massive locomotive and coal cars slam together with fatal, metaltwisting impact. The locomotive boiler ruptures. Alexis jumps and is saved, as is Randolph Alexis. Steam rises from the wreckage and flame licks the splintered coaches. The dead passengers are at peace at last. The collision has occurred about two miles northwest of London.
OOC:   Felicity and Clarence lose 2 Health points. Everybody recovers 2 points of Stability.  
All the detectives jump off the train and tumble over the gravel and grass that runs alongside the rails. Felicity and Clarence scratch their elbows and knees. Randolph, Henry and the other detectives are unharmed.

The two trains crash into the open countryside, just outside the suburbs of london. All the living dead are turned into mere inanimate corpses, including poor Alfie. The small coal train locomotive shatters and the driver dies on the body. After the impact, only the stillness of the unarmed and silent scrap metal remains. Fortunately, there doesn't seem to be a soul in the immediate vicinity, just fields and grasslands.

Randolph and Alexis sincerely thank the investigators.
"We better get out of here as soon as possible, before someone comes to ask us questions. Ourselves we will go back to Liverpool."

As the investigators take a look at his watch, they see it´s still early afernoon. They may be able to get the Orient Express tonight.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Take care," says Felicity. "We need to get back to London post haste. We have another train to catch. I just hope it isn't anything like that one."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

“Good luck, Gentlemen and keep your heads down for a while.” Clarence shakes hands with Randolph and Henry somewhat painfully as his grazes are just beginning to sting.
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by SaintMeerkat »

doctor.png
doctor.png (27.27 KiB) Viewed 839 times
"It was a pleasure to meet you both, despite the circumstances," Archie said. "And thank you for your assistance. Otherwise, we would still be on that dreadful train. If you are ever in need of a doctor, I will be happy to attend."

Turning to the countryside, he sighed as he recognized the beautiful landscape. "Thank God we aren't still in whatever hellish world that train was in..."

"I agree, Miss Heyward. We should head to London at all possible speed. However, do we know which direction it's in?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"It's to the southeast," says Felicity, pointing in that direction. "All we must do is follow the tracks. I could use a doctor myself, as could Clarence, once we're no longer in a hurry. I can help there too. I volunteered as a nurse in France during the war. Purely out of the goodness of my heart, of course. The fact that I was surrounded by strapping young men in varying states of undress had absolutely nothing to do with it."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by SaintMeerkat »

doctor.png
doctor.png (27.27 KiB) Viewed 832 times
"Well, for major injuries, we would need the use of my bag, but I believe that I can do some quick battlefield style medicine to help the two of you, now that we aren't under attack."

OOC:  
I will spend 2 First Aid points for Felicity and 2 First Aid points for Clarence.

aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Clarence takes off his jacket which has taken the brunt of the damage, “Farewell faithful friend.” He folds it up reverently. “The very best of Harris tweed.” And allows Archie to practice his magic. He shakes his head at Felicity,
“Really, my dear please consider an old man’s ears; I’m afraid I’m too fusty and traditional to cope with such language!”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Felicity smiles at Clarence. "My apologies," she says. "You know, you do remind me of my father. Thank you, Archie, that feels much better." She gives him a smile too. "I'm afraid my dress is ruined, but I shall refrain from taking it off in front of everyone. I have plenty more clothing at home, so I'll change when we get there. I could use a bath too, but I don't know if there will be time. I'll just have to shop for new clothes when we get to Paris to make up for my loss."

I think you can spend 1 First Aid point to heal up to 2 Health (possibly 3 for being a Doctor), as long as you're healing someone other than yourself, so you'll save some points. I could also spend one of my First Aid points to heal Clarence instead of Archie.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

Before leaving, Henry and Randolph Alexis hand the investigators some of the notes that were in the bag that they recovered.

Now you too know that there is a supersensible reality that goes beyond our world. It's something we've been working on for a long time... these notes may be useful to you in helping Professor Smith in his enterprise. I hope you succeed.

It is a notebook with notes. At first glance, it describes a kind of concentration and meditation technique, but it encompasses a litany of meaningless words.
OOC:   The notes contain a spell that can be learned by anyone with points in occultism. Someone who has learned the spell can teach it to those who do not have occultism. To learn the spell, the investigators must study it for a few hours. The travel time by train to Paris is sufficient.
By studying the text, the authors understand that some passages refer to something mystical. Words that seem vaguely to refer to ancient pagan cults. Knowledge in occultism helps to guess the correct pronunciation of the words of the litany that must be whispered with closed eyes, to open the mind to a higher understanding of the surrounding reality.

Chant of Thoth
The use of this spell increases the caster’s mental faculties, boosting his or her chance of solving a particular intellectual problem. It grants the caster a bonus to gain knowledge, learn a spell, translate a passage, deduce the meaning of a symbol, etc.
Stability Test Difficulty: 5
Cost: 5 Stability
Time: 30 minutes  
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Post by Mephistophilis »

Andrew stares grimly at the mangled flesh that is all that remains of Alfie. 'I think we were better off before we knew about this supersensible reality.' He shakes his head, I must have a talk with Reverend Green about all this when we get back from our trip. I'm having an awful lot of trouble reconciling this with his sermons.'

He brushes himself down, pleased to see that despite the indignity of recent events a well tailored suit can still maintain its shape. 'That's good, British quality,' he says to himself absent mindedly. 'To the train then?'

OOC:   Andrew will definitely want to read that spell if Felicity will teach him. It might help him understand the spell written in Turkish that he found in the shop.
So we refresh Investigative Skills, is there time to refresh some other skills?
He has some First Aid if needed  
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

OOC:   The other skills were already refleshed when you got off the train. They reflesh by the end of each scene. I mentioned about the Investigative ones because you need to wait for the end of the chapter to get your investigative points back  
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

“A spell? How fascinating!” Clarence has a not quite pleasant look in his eye; he is determined to scour the document for every shred of knowledge he can glean from it.

Return to “Horror on the Orient Express (Trail of Cthulhu)”