Page 1 of 1

Out of Character Chat

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:59 pm
by robertod
Hello players!
This is the Out of Character Chat.
If you need help for character creation or have any doubts just let me know.

Re: Out of Character Chat

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:22 pm
by jp1885
Hi, thanks for letting me into the game!

I’ll read the rules and attempt to create a character over the next few days.

I’m thinking of a criminal, who’s services Professor Smith or Beddows sometimes call upon.

Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:23 pm
by robertod
We have a fourth player working on the character!

Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:41 pm
by Mephistophilis
Cool, the more the merrier.

Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:53 pm
by SaintMeerkat
Hi, folks. I am thrilled to join the party.

Character completed. This is my first ToC character, so any feedback is welcome.

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:11 am
by Mr. Handy
Welcome! Latin should not be a separate skill, but should be counted as one of your Languages, which frees up some investigative skill points for you. It's best to put them into skills that none of the rest of us have, so we can cover as many bases as possible.

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:58 am
by robertod
Mr. Handy wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:11 am Welcome! Latin should not be a separate skill, but should be counted as one of your Languages, which frees up some investigative skill points for you. It's best to put them into skills that none of the rest of us have, so we can cover as many bases as possible.
Agree. :)

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:43 am
by SaintMeerkat
I tweaked the sheet a little. I took off Latin and just put a four for languages. I figure the extra ones will come in handy as the story progresses.

I chatted with Mr. Handy a little on Discord, and he was a huge help.

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:34 am
by robertod
SaintMeerkat wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:43 am I tweaked the sheet a little. I took off Latin and just put a four for languages. I figure the extra ones will come in handy as the story progresses.

I chatted with Mr. Handy a little on Discord, and he was a huge help.
Out of suggestion, a couple of languages of the countries of the campain would be useful:
France, Switzerland, Italy, The Kingdom of Serbs Croats and Slovenes, Bulgaria, and Turkey.

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:58 pm
by robertod
I´m waiting to post in the game thread because we have the fifth (and last) player working on his character creation

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:53 pm
by Mephistophilis
I think I'll give Andrew Turkish since it's come up (let me know if it is a red herring, although it sounds like we'll be going to Turkey eventually so I think it's a safe bet). I'll hold back on Arabic and Farsi unless they come into the game but I'd think they're the sort of thing he might know. I'll not specify anything else yet, I'm thinking maybe Greek, and Bulgarian or Serbo-Croat. And maybe a standard western European language like French, Italian, or German. I make it that we have 11 languages so far between Felicity, Andrew, and Archie so that's a good start.

Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:24 am
by Mr. Handy
We can wait until it comes up in play to declare that we know certain languages. Felicity will probably know French (it was in her original character sheet). Also, if languages are similar enough, the rules say you can know enough of a related language to get by without it counting toward your limit. For instance, the Romance languages are close to each other, so if Felicity knows French, that might let her understand Italian.

Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:54 pm
by robertod
Previously said:   For instance, the Romance languages are close to each other, so if Felicity knows French, that might let her understand Italian.  
Humm... more or less.... As an italian native speaker, I can tell you we cannot really understand french unless we studied it at school. We might just have a vague idea about what they are talking about.
Anyway, looking at the sheets, I see the group will not have problems with language and, in fact, languages can be chosen when they come up in play.

Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:22 pm
by robertod
I think everybody is aboard now. I´m giving some more time to the intial IC thread so that the new character Clarence can be introduced.

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:57 am
by aine
Running and swinging onto the last carriage as the train pulls out of the station

Hi chaps, thanks for waiting for me. Another TofC novice here but looking forward to it.

Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:00 am
by robertod
I´ve just posted a thread ("Some rules for the campain") about some rules and assumptions for the campain.
Feel free to reply there if you have any question, doubt or suggestion.

Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:00 am
by SaintMeerkat
This is my first time to play here, so I have a procedure question.

My character just lost a point of stability. Do I keep up with that, or do I actually edit the character sheet post?

Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:08 am
by Mr. Handy
I was wondering that myself. In the games I run, I always update the character sheets myself (and repost them myself in the character sheet thread so that nobody else can do so, in order to ensure that both of us don't update it), but some Keepers expect the players to maintain their own sheets.

Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:32 am
by robertod
Previously said:   This is my first time to play here, so I have a procedure question.
My character just lost a point of stability. Do I keep up with that, or do I actually edit the character sheet post?  
I am expecting that each player maintains his own sheet. You can either edit your post in the character creation thread or you can keep note of changes somewhere else, whatever works best for you. Myself I am more confortable with the paper printed sheets. I have a printed copy of all your sheets and I only make changes in those printed sheets, so anyone who you wants to use his character sheet in the thread can do that with no risk that both of us update it.

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:00 am
by SaintMeerkat
Understood. I think I will leave the original post untouched for historical purposes, and track everything locally.

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:28 am
by SaintMeerkat
Now, I am having a problem with the dice roller. Can someone tell me what I need to change to get it to work?

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:52 am
by Mephistophilis
Here's my dice roll:
1d6

So I got that by going to the Dice rolls tab below the text entry box for a post and typing in 1d6. Then clicking Roll the dice (in red). After that I had to press the little green icon next to the dice roll result to paste it into the text box. And finally submit my comment where the roll appeared.

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:14 pm
by robertod
Previously said:   Now, I am having a problem with the dice roller. Can someone tell me what I need to change to get it to work?  
Follow Mephistophilis instructions above. Let me know if you still have problems.

So, we are now into our first action scene. I remind here some things for those who are not familiar with ToC.

You ALWAYS roll 1d6 and you ALWAYS succeed when getting a result equal or higher than difficulty. If not metioned otherwise, difficulty is 4.
You can spend any number of points of the ability that is involved in your action. Those points are directly added to the final result.
You should decide how many points you spend BEFORE rolling. You can do that in the same post. I just trust you....
Those points are refleshed by the end of the scene, that is, when you are out of danger.

For physical actions like running, jumping, dodge you roll Athletics

For combat rolls, the difficulty is the Hit Threshold (HT) of the opponent.
The HT is normally 3. It is 4 for opponents with Athletics equal or higher than 8.

For brawl, fight without a weapon, you roll Scuffling
Fight with a weapon (knife, club, etc.), you roll Weapons
Fight with guns, you roll Firearms. When at point-blank you add 2 to your result.

You can describe your action and roll in the same post.
If you are not sure about what to roll, just describe your action and I will roll in your behalf.

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:59 pm
by SaintMeerkat
I resolved my dice roll issue with some help from Mr. Handy. It should show up correctly now.

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:00 pm
by jp1885
Hi folks,
Alas I’ve reached a point where I can no longer devote the time and mental energy these excellent PbP games deserve, so I’m pulling out.

Thanks very much for the thrills and spills you’ve given me over the last few years (and apologies for cross-posting the same message over the forum!)

I may lurk on and off to see how my fellow investigators are faring, but for now, keep rolling well and hold on to your sanity!

Cheers,
JP

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:46 pm
by robertod
Hi JP,
thank you for your notice. Sad to hear you are leaving.
Well, this campaign is quite long. If you want to come back at some point in one of the next chapters, just let us know.
Cheers,
Rob

Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:13 pm
by SaintMeerkat
I have a newbie question.

Can Medicine points be spent for healing? I've been reading the healing section, and it doesn't mention it.

I maxed out Medicine because I was going to play the "healer" role. If I'd known that only First Aid points can be used to heal, I would have put more points into it.

Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:37 pm
by robertod
Medicine has more to do with the ability to diagnose and provide long-term treatment for patological conditions. Medicine points can be used to heal an injured investigator, but depending on the situation, this may require some time and access to hospital, clinic or infirmary resources.

Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:04 pm
by robertod
All points spent on healing are successful for the purpose.
This is the end of the first scenario of the campain. So all the points of Investigative abilities that have been spent are now refleshed.

Those who study Henry´s notes gain 2 points of Magic. It is an Investigative (Academic) ability, and its points can be used to get knowledge about magic, but also to cast spells. When casting a spell, each Magic point is spent as an alternative to the spending of a Stability point.

Paris chapter soon to come...

Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:51 pm
by Mr. Handy
Felicity will definitely learn the spell, and she'll teach it to others.

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:34 pm
by Mephistophilis
How exciting, I've always wanted to ride the Orient Express. Nearly booked the one that terminates in Venice prior to lockdown.

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:11 pm
by aine
So would I. I once did a job for the Orient Express but it turned out to be at the Hotel Cite in Carcassone not, unfortunately, on board the train.
I imagine it might be the very best way to travel.

Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:53 pm
by Mephistophilis
Sorry, something's come up IRL and I've been very distracted. Hoping to get responses for my games by the weekend.

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:14 pm
by SaintMeerkat
Sorry for the late notice, but I am going to be traveling 7/28 and 8/6 and won't be able to post during that period.

By the way, I am really enjoying this game.

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:39 pm
by Mephistophilis
I'll be away from the 29th July for 2wks so I'll be posting sporadically if at all.

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:21 pm
by robertod
Previously said:   I'll be away from the 29th July for 2wks so I'll be posting sporadically if at all.  
Previously said:   Sorry for the late notice, but I am going to be traveling 7/28 and 8/6 and won't be able to post during that period.  
Thank you both for advising.
No problem. Have nice trips.

Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 4:24 am
by robertod
Happy new year to everyone!
New game posts soon to come.

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:02 pm
by robertod
I´m assuming that only Andrew and Clarence are studying the scroll as they have posted about that. If anyone else is willing to study the document while Andrew translates it, just post about that IC.
I am also considering Felicity took a sample of the Ishara bottle. Edgar agreed to give the group a quantity that allows 4 people to travel there two times.

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:24 am
by Mr. Handy
Felicity isn't going to try it until they need it, as there's a limited amount. She is willing to study the document as well, with help from the translations.

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:32 pm
by robertod
Previously said:   I screwed up somewhat when I screwed up somewhat when we made our characters, thinking we had to choose languages then, rather than during the game. So as it stands, I don’t have Italian- or Arabic., thinking we had to choose languages then, rather than during the game. So as it stands, I don’t have Italian- or Arabic.  
Not a big deal. If you chose a language when you made your character but you have not used it yet, you can change it now to Italian or Arabic, if you want. You can also just leave it as an open spot and choose when another language appear in the game.

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:39 pm
by aine
Great thank you. I think I’ve used Turkish and probably French already and will take Arabic. I’ll leave Italian to the opera-philes in the group.

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:34 am
by Mephistophilis
We probably want to ration our languages so we don't share too many as well. The Orient Express goes through quite a few countries.

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:29 am
by robertod
Please find the Milano-Handouts thread.
I remind you that the first handout was in the Orient Express, while travelling from Paris to Lausanne, when the group met Caterina Cavollaro.

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:18 pm
by aine
Curiouser and curiouser…

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:09 am
by SaintMeerkat
Friends, I will be traveling this weekend, so my posts will be sporadic or non-existent.

Posted: Mon May 29, 2023 11:59 pm
by Mephistophilis
I'm away for a week with rubbish internet so posting will be sporadic or non-existent,

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:34 am
by SaintMeerkat
I would like to apologize to everyone for my lack of communication and absence. I have caught up and am posting. Sorry for the delay.

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:30 pm
by robertod
No problem.
Welcome back!

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:42 am
by robertod
I'm on a trip on vacation and unfortumately I have very
limited internet access. I probably won't be able to post until comimg back home on July 22.

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:59 pm
by Mephistophilis
Enjoy.

Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:19 pm
by SaintMeerkat
By the way, I have been singing in opera choruses around the southeastern US off and on for 30 years or so, so it has been a lot of fun for me for the game to visit La Scala.

We're currently rehearsing Marriage of Figaro, and I met my wife while singing in this current one.

Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:05 pm
by robertod
Nice to know about that!

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:12 pm
by aine
That’s awesome. It’s always interesting when a game coincides with real life. No pressure on the GM!

Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 5:53 am
by robertod
FYI, with the end of the Milan chapter, all the dots at investigative and general abilities are refreshed.

Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:09 pm
by Mephistophilis
Stability and Sanity don't refresh do they?

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:35 am
by robertod
Stability yes.
Sanity no.

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:00 am
by SaintMeerkat
Traveling for a few days. Be back next week.

Posted: Fri May 10, 2024 7:12 pm
by SaintMeerkat
I am going to traveling or the next two weeks, so my posting will be spotty or not at all.

I apologize for the short notice.