Out of Character Chat

A puzzling headline begins a front-page article found in the Times of London. Three men, all identical in identification, were found dead in the same room of the Chelsea Arms Hotel. Then the home of a valued friend burns to the ground, severely injuring him in the process. It is the beginning of "Horror On The Orient Express" a European campaign set in the winter between January and March of 1923. Over the course of the campaign, the investigators are trying to collect the various pieces of an ancient statue called the Sedefkar Simulacrum. Night falls early then, and each night is long and cold. The campaign is made up of 11 scenarios, taking place in seven nations, the United Kingdom, France, Switzerland, Italy, The Kingdom of Serbs Croats and Slovenes, Bulgaria, and Turkey. All are stops on the path of the Simplon-Orient Express.

Moderator: robertod

robertod
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 4 months

Out of Character Chat

Post by robertod »

Hello players!
This is the Out of Character Chat.
If you need help for character creation or have any doubts just let me know.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Re: Out of Character Chat

Post by jp1885 »

Hi, thanks for letting me into the game!

I’ll read the rules and attempt to create a character over the next few days.

I’m thinking of a criminal, who’s services Professor Smith or Beddows sometimes call upon.
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

We have a fourth player working on the character!
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Post by Mephistophilis »

Cool, the more the merrier.
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 2 years 3 months

Post by SaintMeerkat »

Hi, folks. I am thrilled to join the party.

Character completed. This is my first ToC character, so any feedback is welcome.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Welcome! Latin should not be a separate skill, but should be counted as one of your Languages, which frees up some investigative skill points for you. It's best to put them into skills that none of the rest of us have, so we can cover as many bases as possible.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

Mr. Handy wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:11 am Welcome! Latin should not be a separate skill, but should be counted as one of your Languages, which frees up some investigative skill points for you. It's best to put them into skills that none of the rest of us have, so we can cover as many bases as possible.
Agree. :)
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by SaintMeerkat »

I tweaked the sheet a little. I took off Latin and just put a four for languages. I figure the extra ones will come in handy as the story progresses.

I chatted with Mr. Handy a little on Discord, and he was a huge help.
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

SaintMeerkat wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:43 am I tweaked the sheet a little. I took off Latin and just put a four for languages. I figure the extra ones will come in handy as the story progresses.

I chatted with Mr. Handy a little on Discord, and he was a huge help.
Out of suggestion, a couple of languages of the countries of the campain would be useful:
France, Switzerland, Italy, The Kingdom of Serbs Croats and Slovenes, Bulgaria, and Turkey.
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

I´m waiting to post in the game thread because we have the fifth (and last) player working on his character creation
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Post by Mephistophilis »

I think I'll give Andrew Turkish since it's come up (let me know if it is a red herring, although it sounds like we'll be going to Turkey eventually so I think it's a safe bet). I'll hold back on Arabic and Farsi unless they come into the game but I'd think they're the sort of thing he might know. I'll not specify anything else yet, I'm thinking maybe Greek, and Bulgarian or Serbo-Croat. And maybe a standard western European language like French, Italian, or German. I make it that we have 11 languages so far between Felicity, Andrew, and Archie so that's a good start.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

We can wait until it comes up in play to declare that we know certain languages. Felicity will probably know French (it was in her original character sheet). Also, if languages are similar enough, the rules say you can know enough of a related language to get by without it counting toward your limit. For instance, the Romance languages are close to each other, so if Felicity knows French, that might let her understand Italian.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

Previously said:   For instance, the Romance languages are close to each other, so if Felicity knows French, that might let her understand Italian.  
Humm... more or less.... As an italian native speaker, I can tell you we cannot really understand french unless we studied it at school. We might just have a vague idea about what they are talking about.
Anyway, looking at the sheets, I see the group will not have problems with language and, in fact, languages can be chosen when they come up in play.
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

I think everybody is aboard now. I´m giving some more time to the intial IC thread so that the new character Clarence can be introduced.
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

Running and swinging onto the last carriage as the train pulls out of the station

Hi chaps, thanks for waiting for me. Another TofC novice here but looking forward to it.
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

I´ve just posted a thread ("Some rules for the campain") about some rules and assumptions for the campain.
Feel free to reply there if you have any question, doubt or suggestion.
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by SaintMeerkat »

This is my first time to play here, so I have a procedure question.

My character just lost a point of stability. Do I keep up with that, or do I actually edit the character sheet post?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I was wondering that myself. In the games I run, I always update the character sheets myself (and repost them myself in the character sheet thread so that nobody else can do so, in order to ensure that both of us don't update it), but some Keepers expect the players to maintain their own sheets.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

Previously said:   This is my first time to play here, so I have a procedure question.
My character just lost a point of stability. Do I keep up with that, or do I actually edit the character sheet post?  
I am expecting that each player maintains his own sheet. You can either edit your post in the character creation thread or you can keep note of changes somewhere else, whatever works best for you. Myself I am more confortable with the paper printed sheets. I have a printed copy of all your sheets and I only make changes in those printed sheets, so anyone who you wants to use his character sheet in the thread can do that with no risk that both of us update it.
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by SaintMeerkat »

Understood. I think I will leave the original post untouched for historical purposes, and track everything locally.

Return to “Horror on the Orient Express (Trail of Cthulhu)”