Out of Character Chat

A puzzling headline begins a front-page article found in the Times of London. Three men, all identical in identification, were found dead in the same room of the Chelsea Arms Hotel. Then the home of a valued friend burns to the ground, severely injuring him in the process. It is the beginning of "Horror On The Orient Express" a European campaign set in the winter between January and March of 1923. Over the course of the campaign, the investigators are trying to collect the various pieces of an ancient statue called the Sedefkar Simulacrum. Night falls early then, and each night is long and cold. The campaign is made up of 11 scenarios, taking place in seven nations, the United Kingdom, France, Switzerland, Italy, The Kingdom of Serbs Croats and Slovenes, Bulgaria, and Turkey. All are stops on the path of the Simplon-Orient Express.

Moderator: robertod

SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 2 years 3 months

Re: Out of Character Chat

Post by SaintMeerkat »

Now, I am having a problem with the dice roller. Can someone tell me what I need to change to get it to work?
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Post by Mephistophilis »

Here's my dice roll:
1d6

So I got that by going to the Dice rolls tab below the text entry box for a post and typing in 1d6. Then clicking Roll the dice (in red). After that I had to press the little green icon next to the dice roll result to paste it into the text box. And finally submit my comment where the roll appeared.
robertod
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 4 months

Post by robertod »

Previously said:   Now, I am having a problem with the dice roller. Can someone tell me what I need to change to get it to work?  
Follow Mephistophilis instructions above. Let me know if you still have problems.

So, we are now into our first action scene. I remind here some things for those who are not familiar with ToC.

You ALWAYS roll 1d6 and you ALWAYS succeed when getting a result equal or higher than difficulty. If not metioned otherwise, difficulty is 4.
You can spend any number of points of the ability that is involved in your action. Those points are directly added to the final result.
You should decide how many points you spend BEFORE rolling. You can do that in the same post. I just trust you....
Those points are refleshed by the end of the scene, that is, when you are out of danger.

For physical actions like running, jumping, dodge you roll Athletics

For combat rolls, the difficulty is the Hit Threshold (HT) of the opponent.
The HT is normally 3. It is 4 for opponents with Athletics equal or higher than 8.

For brawl, fight without a weapon, you roll Scuffling
Fight with a weapon (knife, club, etc.), you roll Weapons
Fight with guns, you roll Firearms. When at point-blank you add 2 to your result.

You can describe your action and roll in the same post.
If you are not sure about what to roll, just describe your action and I will roll in your behalf.
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by SaintMeerkat »

I resolved my dice roll issue with some help from Mr. Handy. It should show up correctly now.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

Hi folks,
Alas I’ve reached a point where I can no longer devote the time and mental energy these excellent PbP games deserve, so I’m pulling out.

Thanks very much for the thrills and spills you’ve given me over the last few years (and apologies for cross-posting the same message over the forum!)

I may lurk on and off to see how my fellow investigators are faring, but for now, keep rolling well and hold on to your sanity!

Cheers,
JP
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

Hi JP,
thank you for your notice. Sad to hear you are leaving.
Well, this campaign is quite long. If you want to come back at some point in one of the next chapters, just let us know.
Cheers,
Rob
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by SaintMeerkat »

I have a newbie question.

Can Medicine points be spent for healing? I've been reading the healing section, and it doesn't mention it.

I maxed out Medicine because I was going to play the "healer" role. If I'd known that only First Aid points can be used to heal, I would have put more points into it.
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

Medicine has more to do with the ability to diagnose and provide long-term treatment for patological conditions. Medicine points can be used to heal an injured investigator, but depending on the situation, this may require some time and access to hospital, clinic or infirmary resources.
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

All points spent on healing are successful for the purpose.
This is the end of the first scenario of the campain. So all the points of Investigative abilities that have been spent are now refleshed.

Those who study Henry´s notes gain 2 points of Magic. It is an Investigative (Academic) ability, and its points can be used to get knowledge about magic, but also to cast spells. When casting a spell, each Magic point is spent as an alternative to the spending of a Stability point.

Paris chapter soon to come...
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Felicity will definitely learn the spell, and she'll teach it to others.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

How exciting, I've always wanted to ride the Orient Express. Nearly booked the one that terminates in Venice prior to lockdown.
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

So would I. I once did a job for the Orient Express but it turned out to be at the Hotel Cite in Carcassone not, unfortunately, on board the train.
I imagine it might be the very best way to travel.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Sorry, something's come up IRL and I've been very distracted. Hoping to get responses for my games by the weekend.
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by SaintMeerkat »

Sorry for the late notice, but I am going to be traveling 7/28 and 8/6 and won't be able to post during that period.

By the way, I am really enjoying this game.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

I'll be away from the 29th July for 2wks so I'll be posting sporadically if at all.
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

Previously said:   I'll be away from the 29th July for 2wks so I'll be posting sporadically if at all.  
Previously said:   Sorry for the late notice, but I am going to be traveling 7/28 and 8/6 and won't be able to post during that period.  
Thank you both for advising.
No problem. Have nice trips.
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

Happy new year to everyone!
New game posts soon to come.
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

I´m assuming that only Andrew and Clarence are studying the scroll as they have posted about that. If anyone else is willing to study the document while Andrew translates it, just post about that IC.
I am also considering Felicity took a sample of the Ishara bottle. Edgar agreed to give the group a quantity that allows 4 people to travel there two times.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Felicity isn't going to try it until they need it, as there's a limited amount. She is willing to study the document as well, with help from the translations.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

Previously said:   I screwed up somewhat when I screwed up somewhat when we made our characters, thinking we had to choose languages then, rather than during the game. So as it stands, I don’t have Italian- or Arabic., thinking we had to choose languages then, rather than during the game. So as it stands, I don’t have Italian- or Arabic.  
Not a big deal. If you chose a language when you made your character but you have not used it yet, you can change it now to Italian or Arabic, if you want. You can also just leave it as an open spot and choose when another language appear in the game.

Return to “Horror on the Orient Express (Trail of Cthulhu)”