Page 1 of 1

January 13 - San Marco Basilica

Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:02 am
by robertod
Any visitor to San Marco, even on such urgent business as this, should linger to absorb the atmosphere of this magnificent building and admire its many treasures. The four bronze horses from Constantinople rear above the entrance, and many more treasures lie within. Vaulted ceilings rise high into the darkness, gleaming with gold and gems. Numerous chapels house icons of sad-eyed saints. Tourists flock through at all hours, struck dumb by the grandeur of this testament to Venetian faith and wealth.
After visiting the entire Basilica, investigators find no trace of the statue or the leg they are looking for, or at least among the works on display.
Eventually they meet, the main priest of the Basilica, by the Chapel Of Saint Isidoro, a tiny and very dark recess almost filled by the tomb itself, with two little bronze winged lions on either side. The mosaics over the altar are at first only glimpsed piecemeal, as the eyes slowly accustom themselves to the dark. They are of the saint’s torture and martyrdom by being dragged by galloping horses. In particular, his left leg seems about to be torn clean off.
Don Piero is a elderly lively man. He addresses investigators, thinking they are tourists.
"I´m sorry, but the Basilica is about to close for the public. I´m afraid you need to come tomorrow to see more, if you wish."

Re: January 13 - San Marco Basilica

Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:15 am
by Mr. Handy

"Of course," says Felicity. "I just wanted to ask about the statue of Saint Isidoro before we go, and about the sculptor who made it. The left leg is unusual. It doesn't look like it's of a piece with the rest of the statue."

Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:58 am
by SaintMeerkat
doctor.png
doctor.png (27.27 KiB) Viewed 2745 times

Now that Archie knows what to look for, he starts inspecting the statue as well.

"That does look awfully odd. Has it been repaired recently," Archie chimed in.

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:30 am
by Mephistophilis

'Poor chap doesn't look too well. Remarkably gruesome piece...but then the Catholics have never been known to undersell a good martyrdom.'

OOC:   Is the left leg missing from the statue rather than being made of the same stuff as the Sedefkar Simulacrum?  

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:22 am
by aine
“Absolutely, and we appreciate you’ve had a long day shepherding all these tourists. We have come to Venice from London specifically to research everything regarding Saint Isidoro. I’m so sorry we’re late, trains don’t you know. May we possibly have fifteen minutes here now; so we can plan our research strategy for tomorrow?”
Can I roll to persuade and also see if Clarence might know this priest from previous visits?

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:46 am
by robertod
OOC:   OOC: The statue of Saint Isidore is not here. The leg being detached is a representation of a mosaic and appears like a common mosaic about a martyrdom, without any particular oddities. However, the priest remembers about a statue of St. Isidore that was there not so long ago.
Don Piero makes a face. His mind struggles to remember about that statue.  
"Ah yes, now I remember! There was a statue here not long ago. But that statue was horrible. Our loved St. Isidore was represented that strange way… almost skinless. The statue was removed from the Basilica 5 years ago to undergo a restoration. "
"Doctor Stagliani took care of the project and came personally to collect the statue."

Don Piero makes a sad face.
"I heard that the man recently passed away. My his soul rest in peace."

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:05 am
by Mr. Handy

"That would be something to see," says Felicity. "Once the restoration was completed, I mean. Do you know where the statue is now?"

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:35 am
by SaintMeerkat
doctor.png
doctor.png (27.27 KiB) Viewed 2703 times

Archie nods along with Felicity. "This Doctor Stagliani must be quite skilled."
OOC:   Have any of us heard of Stagliani?  

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:45 am
by aine
“Yes, such an artifact must be well documented. Did the doctor finish the restoration?” Clarence asks. “May we ask how he died?”

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:47 pm
by robertod
OOC:  
Previously said:   OOC: Have any of us heard of Stagliani?  
Yes, you did. He´s the father of Maria, the woman you met in the train.  
Don Piero confirms that Stagliani is the recently deceased scholar, Maria's father.
"Stagliani wanted to have it restored by Nanne, an artist here in Venice. The full name is Giovanni Carraro, known as Nanne."
The priest didn't bother to ask for the statue back. He can't tell if the staute is now with Carraro or with Stagliani, but he can provide the adress of both.

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:04 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, that would be helpful," says Felicity.

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:10 pm
by Mephistophilis

'I presume this chap isn't too fussed about getting his skinless statue back? A bit of a boon for us I'd say. But a skinless statue does rather suggest the involvement of our Turkish friends. Better tread carefully.'

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:22 am
by aine
“A full-size statue of The Skinless One?” Clarence is alarmed. “I hope it doesn’t have the power of the Simulcleum, otherwise it will be very dangerous.
And this Skinless One is the same creature mentioned in the scrolls, as bad a fiend as the very Devil himself!”

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:20 am
by SaintMeerkat
doctor.png
doctor.png (27.27 KiB) Viewed 2655 times

"I've known a few artists over the years. Usually, you can always smooth things over with a small donation," Archie replied. "Perhaps he won't be too fussed after that."

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:12 am
by robertod
After leaving the church of San Marco, the investigators return to their hotel for dinner time. Arriving at the reception, the clerk seems perplexed to see them and a little uncomfortable. He says that the black shirts paid a visit to the hotel a couple of hours ago. They were looking for the group of English people who had recently arrived. They hoped that the hotel would know more about them and what they are doing in Venice.

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:21 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, tourists can't be expected to hang about the hotel all day," says Felicity. "We've got sights to see. Did they say when they plan to return?" She intends to make it a point not to be here when they do.

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:15 pm
by Mephistophilis

'How connected are these Blackshirt fellows to the authorities?' asks Andrew. 'They could cause us quite a bit of bother if they are.'

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:11 pm
by robertod
The hotel clerk remains silent for a few seconds before answering. He seems a bit intimidated.
"Sir... the black shirts are the authority. Italy has a fascist government nowadays."
Then he smiles briefly to release the tension.
"I don't think you need to worry too much. The authorities are generally quite friendly towards tourists. Just stay away from criminal and subversive activities, gentlemen."

Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:51 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, that's good," says Felicity. "What do you know about Captain Rossini? We met him when we arrived. To whom does he report?"

Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:36 pm
by robertod
"Ah Rossini. He ´s the local leader of the black shirts. He reports to the local fascist headquarters, of course."
The clerk smiles, heartened.
"Since his team controls the center, the area is much safer. You can even leave your front door open."
"We really needed someone to put some law and order around here."

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says Felicity. She turns to her companions. "Shall we have dinner now?"

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:35 pm
by SaintMeerkat
doctor.png
doctor.png (27.27 KiB) Viewed 2296 times

Having already met a few of the blackshirts, Archie can't help but shiver a little as the clerk sings their praises. "Well, those guys didn't exactly make a good first impression on me. I hope this Rossini is a more pleasant fellow."

Then to Felicity, "Dinner sounds delightful."

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:52 pm
by robertod
The group gathers in the hotel´s restaurant for dinner to decide their next move.

Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:35 am
by Mr. Handy

"The next step is to talk to Maria," says Felicity, after ordering a thick, juicy steak. "She'll probably know where her father was working on the statue and may even have access to it. We may want to go this evening. If we wait until morning, the blackshirts are likely to show up again first. They probably weren't surprised that we weren't here during the day, but they'll figure we'd likely sleep here."

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:02 am
by Mephistophilis

'Any chance of a bit of beef Wellington?,' asks Andrew. 'I do find this foreign food to be a bit strongly flavoured, don't you think?'

He orders a drink and sits with it sullenly for a few minutes. 'These darned Blackshirts could scupper our plans. I don't want to end up in prison or seeing the wrong end of a stiletto. But it does look like Miss Stagliani is our best lead. Is it going to be safer walking the streets of Venice at night or during the day?'

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:55 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm rather fond of Italian food myself," says Felicity. "English food isn't the greatest, though much depends on the chef. The streets, or should I say the canals, could be dangerous at any time. I frequently go out at night in London, though I always have company when I do, and I haven't been in any danger, but this is another place entirely."

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:24 am
by SaintMeerkat
doctor.png
doctor.png (27.27 KiB) Viewed 2271 times

Archie sips his wine. It's magnificent, but it does nothing to dull the tingle in his arm, and he wonders if it will ever stop. For the thousandth time since they left, he wonders if he will ever see his home again. If the Turks have anything to do with it, he supposes not. She sighs and forces himself to stop playing with the risotto and take a bite.

"Yes, I suppose Miss Stagliani is our next stop. I hope she does still have access to the statue."