Page 1 of 1

January 12 - Milano - Next morning

Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:24 pm
by robertod
Next morning, the investigator wake up in their hotel rooms in the center of Milan. The morning is cold and humid and the shy rays of the sun passing through the clouds do little to warm up the city. The breakfast room is crowded. PThe hotel people is gossiping. Everyone wonders who the mysterious voice was, but everyone remains unanswered. Meanwhile, the rumor is circulating that tonight the premiere of Aida stands still. The rumor is confirmed. The opening night will occur, despite the absence of the lead singer. Everyone wonders who the replacement will be. Some says that Caterina hasn't actually disappeared. It was she who sang during the night and her disappearance would be a publicity stunt for the theatre.
Despite the excitement for the premiere has revived in some, the faces of mostly Milanese seems apathetic and melancholy. Many also appear to be physically weak. They cough or sneeze frequently. The cold of this winter has arrived like a plague, many complain.

Re: January 12 - Milano - Next morning

Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"We should visit Conti after breakfast," says Felicity.

Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:52 pm
by Mephistophilis

Andrew is silent throughout breakfast, chewing mechanically and without any enjoyment. Eventually he asks, 'Mr Dalrymple, was there anything in that scroll which alludes to modifying organs or body parts?'

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:24 pm
by SaintMeerkat
doctor.png
doctor.png (27.27 KiB) Viewed 447 times
The cold morning and equally cold food did nothing to improve Archie's mood. After he was awoken by the mysterious voice last night, he never really got back to sleep. He tried reading, but after staring at the same paragraph for what felt like hours, he closed it in frustration and lay still until he heard the other hotel residents stirring.

It took awhile for it to sink in that the other two had spoken. "Hmm...yes..." he answered, hoping that he was the one addressed, and that the generic answer would suffice.

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:57 pm
by aine
Clarence picks at his food too, “I’m not keen on this Italian fare; give me kippers any day. As to the body parts; yes. The Scroll of the Legs is one of five, named after other body parts I’m sure. The Simulccrum is corrupting- given the chest complaints and throat issues about, I’m expecting either the head or the torso to be hidden here in Milan.
And if a local magician has the power from the statue, he has the ability to transfer his very being onto another, unfortunate person; I imagine transforming a single body part, such as the face, relatively simple, hmm.”
Did everyone catch Clarence explanation of the scroll at the end of the Milano- Hotel thread? I mistakenly added it there after you’d all moved on.

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:00 am
by Mr. Handy

"I can't get enough Italian food!" says Felicity, licking her lips. "They sure know how to make pasta here. Do we have any leads on where in Milan we can find the piece?"

I did see that. I just don't remember what it said any more. ;)

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:46 pm
by Mephistophilis

Unsettling thoughts continue to cycle round and around in Andrew's head. Clarence's confirmation does not reassure him. Eventually he tersely asks out loud, not really targeted at anyone on particular; 'Do we think they might have killed Miss Cavollaro and stolen her voice?' Once he's said it he immediately shakes his head. Even with what they've seen so far it sounds nonsensical.

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:53 am
by Mr. Handy

"I do think they've stolen her voice," says Felicity, "but I'm hoping they kept her alive. Conti may still want her."

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:19 pm
by aine
Clarence shakes his head. “But why? It doesn’t make any sense to steal a voice. Unless…”
His own voice drops as he has an awful thought.

“Unless that woman has access to the powers of the Simulacrum statue. And maybe she plans to use it to cast a spell on… no, sorry. That’s ridiculous.”
But Clarence looks troubled.

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:24 pm
by Mephistophilis

'These spells, they could not be used on a whole room at once could they?'

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:53 am
by Mr. Handy

"Music casts a spell all its own, even without that," says Felicity. "I shudder to think what someone with her voice could do with actual magic."

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:12 pm
by aine
“I Imagine The Skinless One would relish worship from a multitude- if it could grant the power to one of its followers. What better way than the adoration of a theatre full of patrons to ‘The Voice.”
Clarence is animated.
“Look around you; all these miserable people, all suffering from afflictions of the nose and throat. What does that tell you?”

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:16 am
by robertod
Previously said:   "We should visit Conti after breakfast," says Felicity.  
OOC:   Is the whole group going there?  

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:00 pm
by Mephistophilis

'I wonder if perhaps some of us should investigate that mysterious woman and the building she disappeared into,' muses Andrew. 'But certainly we cannot allow Miss Hayward to visit Conti alone.' He casts a patronising look at Felicity.

Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:07 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says Felicity with a smile. "I'm glad of the protection, and I appreciate the sentiment."

Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:06 pm
by SaintMeerkat
doctor.png
doctor.png (27.27 KiB) Viewed 405 times
Archie stared off into the distance, as though he were a thousand miles away. Finally, he shook himself, forcing himself to speak.

"Yes, I think a visit to Conti is the next step for us. Sorry about that."

Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:07 am
by robertod
Conti has an apartment in Brera, the core of the historic center of Milan, at the last floor of a nineteenth-century building.
The porter invites the British visitors to walk in and have a seat in the confortable living room. Conti arrives from another room. He´s a handsome man in his late thirty, with a frail physique. He has a charming look and a welcoming smile. He wears a very refined suit made to measure by a tailor.

Conto greets everyone:
"I didn´t know the miss came here to Milan with some company. What can I do for you gentlemen?"

Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:20 am
by Mr. Handy

Felicity introduces her friends, translating for them if necessary. "Did you hear that last night Caterina's singing was heard in the city?" she asks. "We went out with everyone else to look for her. It turned out that it was her sister Virginia singing. Her voice sounds just like Caterina's. It's uncanny! Have you met her?"

Using Assess Honesty.

Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:30 am
by SaintMeerkat
doctor.png
doctor.png (27.27 KiB) Viewed 389 times
"Yes, I was as convinced as Felicity," Archie admitted. "I have never been so surprised in my life," he said as he leaned in and added, "And as a doctor I have had a lot of experience in that particular realm."

Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:31 pm
by aine
Clarence has a discreet look at the Conti’s art and ornaments. Did anything look like it belonged to a practitioner of the esoteric or occult arts?

Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:24 am
by robertod
"Yes, I was told that Catherine's voice was heard last night. Virgilia will be her substitute at the opening night. It is probable that she was preparing. They say her voice doesn't quite match Caterina's, but she seems to have improved a lot lately. However, I'm not a connoisseur to the point of distinguishing well. Yes, I know Virginia. We are good friends."

The apartment has common furniture and paintings that represent landscapes. Nothing blatantly esoteric.
He´s more relaxed than the last time Virginia met him. He seems honest.

Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:41 pm
by Mephistophilis

Andrew notes Conti's frailty. He gestures out the window, 'This cold really gets into your bones, doesn't it.' He studies the man's reaction closely, 'I do hope Miss Caterina is able to keep out of the cold, wherever she might be.'

Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:43 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I thought you might be," says Felicity, though she knows that Virginia had denied it last night. She's inclined to take his word over hers. "Caterina gave us tickets for opening night, and we certainly plan to be there. Virginia had an operation recently that seems to have affected her voice. Do you know who her doctor is?"

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:07 am
by SaintMeerkat
doctor.png
doctor.png (27.27 KiB) Viewed 367 times
Archie walks around a bit until the cold is gone from his feet. While pretending to look for alcohol, he gives the room an extra sweep with his eyes before coming back to the others.

"Yes, as a doctor, I would love to hear more about those techniques. It's a little scary how good the guy is."

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:59 pm
by robertod
"Oh... he actually did a great job. Yes, I know him, he treated me too. I had terrible tuberculosis which nearly killed me. If it wasn't for him I probably wouldn't be here. His name is Arturo Faccia. It's not easy to have a meeting with him without a recommendation."
He pauses for a few seconds to think, then replies with a smile.
"Listen. He will be present tonight at the premiere of Aida. He is one of the patrons of the theatre. Tonight I'll introduce him to you. What about?"

Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:31 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, that would be wonderful!" says Felicity. "One of my friends is having trouble with his arm. Maybe he could take a look."

Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:33 pm
by SaintMeerkat
doctor.png
doctor.png (27.27 KiB) Viewed 354 times
Archie shot Felicity a look. Doctors were infamous for being terrible patients. And he'd been trying to cure the tingling with big doses of denial and testosterone, neither of which had worked. And that would give us ample opportunity to interrogate him about the voice change. He sighed. "Well... I suppose it couldn't hurt to ask."

"Thank you," he said as he shook the man's hand. "Errr... I mean, grazie..."

Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:36 pm
by aine
“Yes, thank you.” Says Clarence shaking his hand. “Hopefully we might see the you and the doctor before the performance, it’s always hard finding each other afterwards.”

Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:52 pm
by Mephistophilis

Andrew nods, this is a good lead. He itches to confront the man about Spinola's death but the warning from the Italian policeman repeats in his mind. Perhaps just the slightest provocation...

'You know, I saw a man recently who could have benefited from just such a doctor,' he notes. 'Killed in some kind of ritual...grisly stuff.' He shakes his head and watches Conti closely for his reaction.

Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:57 pm
by robertod
Conti makes a face of amazement. He replies in an amused tone of voice.
"Oh... seriously... ? Well, Milan is a dangerous city. There are all kinds of people. I suggest that you enjoy what beauty it has to offer. Crime reporting is definitely not the most interesting that you can find to make your stay pleasant."

He's grinning forcibly to hide the concern expressed by his gaze.

OOC:   Let me know when you´ve done here with Conti. Keep in mind you still have a whole day before the premiere night.  

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:39 am
by Mr. Handy

I'm done, unless someone else has an idea.

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:35 pm
by Mephistophilis
I can't think of anything else to do with Conti without riling him. We could go and check out that building the singer disappeared into or do some research into Arturo Faccia. We could also talk to the theatre director or producer to check out whether Virginia is really replacing Caterina - it all seems very fishy

Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:52 am
by Mr. Handy

Yes, let's go to La Scala next and talk to people there.

Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:17 am
by SaintMeerkat
La Scala sounds good to me.

Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:02 pm
by aine
Ready to go