Page 1 of 1

Worth reisdence

Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:55 pm
by Borderline
170 Highland Ave, Somerville, MA 02143
A historic two story home in a residential neighborhood.

Re: Worth reisdence

Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:50 pm
by Mephistophilis

After a frugal breakfast Bill brings his car round to the front of the hotel. He waits for the others. While the Worth residence is within walking distance he wants to bring the car, both for the impression it makes and also to better store any evidence they find.

He wants to discuss their game plan before turning up at the house, intending to take the lead as an experienced federal investigator. He's still not sure about bringing these civilians along, even Albert.

Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:07 pm
by Philulhu
Rachel had slept poorly, so felt out of sorts as she ate breakfast in a desultory fashion.

Finishing up, she made her way to the front of the hotel, where she spotted Bill.

”’Morning?” she said, uncertainly.

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:45 am
by Mr. Handy

Ralph meets the others in the parking lot as he heads out to his Cadillac. "Good morning," he says.

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:50 pm
by Mephistophilis
'Good morning Miss Douglas, Commander Harper' Bill responds. He looks over the assembled group, 'Shit, things must be lean at the Treasury if this is the best they can do.'

He tries to straighten himself up, project some authority. In his gruff voice he barks 'As we're supposed to be feds I'll take the lead, Commander Harper can back me up. You...' he gestures to Rachel, 'Can be an assistant or civilian consultant or something. Albert is our gofer, running errands, that sort of thing. That clear?'

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:35 pm
by Philulhu
Rachel nodded mutely. Still disoriented by the turn of events, she was happy for someone else to take the lead.

Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:03 am
by Mr. Handy

Ralph nods. "I'll follow your lead, sir," he says.

Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:04 pm
by aine
Albert can barely contain himself and he hops from one foot to the other.
“Right you are, Mr Gilmore.”
He whispers to Rachel,
“Though I don’t understand how me being a gopher is going to help with detectoring.”

Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:16 am
by Philulhu
Rachel looked at Albert with a mix a disbelief and puzzlement. Was the boy making a joke?

”Is not ‘gopher’, the creature,” she said, in her heavily-accented English. ”Is ‘go for’ - two words - you ‘go for’ whatever Mr Gilmore tell you to get. Understand?”

Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:02 pm
by Mephistophilis

'That's settled then. Albert, get in the car, Miss Douglas you can come too if you like. Presume you're taking your own ride Harper?'

Bill starts up the Buick and once everyone is ready heads out to Highland Avenue. He drives leisurely through the streets of Somerville, trying to get a sense of the neighborhood. He passes well set out parks, neat streets, a mixture of working class areas and well to do quarters. There are signs of industrial activity, with meatpacking and other delivery vans crowding the roads. The people he passes are a broad mixture of humanity, clearly there's been a lot of immigration to the area, probably drawn by that new Ford motor factory out by the river. He mutters disapprovingly to himself, Where there are immigrants there are subversives.

Arriving at the Worth Residence he parks up and waits for Ralph. When they're all assembled he asks Albert and Rachel to hang back while he and Ralph make their introductions.

Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:55 am
by Philulhu
”Why you think we have to wait while they make their introductions?” said Rachel testily. ”Do you think it is because I am woman and you are still child? Woman is just as good as any man - that is what my mother said to me. And my father would always agree with her!”

Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:56 am
by Mr. Handy

Ralph drives in his own car, parks it outside the house, and approaches the front door with Bill. He shares his concerns about subversives, though he knows that most immigrants want to be good Americans and come to this country to partake in its freedom. It's just those few that slip in amongst them that you have to beware.

Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:56 pm
by aine
Albert watches Bill and Ralph walk up the path to the front door.
“I don’t know, Miss. Maybe it’s because you’re foreign. And I’m not a child. I’m sixteen. At least, I’m pretty sure I am.
Anyway, It’s an important job looking after the getaway car; them two might come running back any minute with the hounds of hell after them and we have to be be ready for the escape.
And we got to look out for hooligans what are spying on us.”
With this, Albert makes a conscientious sweep of the area for any suspicious activity.
Spot hidden:55 roll:43

Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:03 am
by Philulhu
Rachel rolled her eyes. ”What do you think you are? Some kind of spy?” She shook her head. ”Just watch car. Do good job and he will buy you a new comic book to look at.”

Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:16 am
by Borderline
3 houses over young children play, rolling a hoop with sticks. 2 blocks away a growling lead-sled rumbles by

Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:57 pm
by Mephistophilis
Bill walks up to the house and knocks on the door.

Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:04 pm
by Borderline
After a short wait you are greeted by a tall, balding man who introduces himself as Bob Worth.
"You must be the special medical examiners, thank you for coming please come in."

Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:51 pm
by Mephistophilis
Bill steps inside and shakes Bob Worth's hand firmly. 'William Gilmore, Bureau of Investigation,' he briefly flashes his identification. 'My colleague Commander Harper.'

He looks over his shoulder, 'My assistants.'

Once inside he says 'Mr Worth, I'm very sorry for your loss.' His tone is flat, it is difficult to tell if he's simply being a calm professional or this sort of thing just doesn't affect him anymore.

'Can you tell me how you found her?'

Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:34 am
by Borderline
"It was when I got home from work. Harry was at school"- he sobs-"thank God. He's staying with his aunt and uncle now." Choking back tears. "I'm sorry. I walked into her sewing room and there she was, on the floor."

Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:03 am
by Mephistophilis
Bill continues, showing no sign of empathy, 'Of course. And what did you see?'

Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:06 am
by Philulhu
Rachel catches the word ‘assistants’ and rolled her eyes again. ”We should not have to stand around like fools. You should go and knock on door and insist we are invited inside also,” she said to Albert.

Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:24 am
by Mr. Handy

"Do you know what time it was, sir?" asks Ralph.

Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:36 am
by Borderline
"It would've been about 3:20, she had fallen out of her chair and-" sobs "oh God her face. I've never seen such an expression, absolute horror. I was in shock. I started calling her name and shaking her." Choking back tears, "She was ice cold and stiff as a board."

Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:49 am
by Mephistophilis
'That must have been very difficult for you' says Bill mechanically.

'Can you please take us through to where you found her. My assistants will start preparations for the examination.' He ushers in Albert and Rachel.

OOC:   Didn't mean to leave you outside, just thought it'd be easier not to introduce you and have to lie about who you were.  

Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:10 pm
by Philulhu
No problem, I was just having a bit of fun with it.

”Thank you,” Rachel said stiffly to Bill as she nodded a formal greeting to Mr Worth.

”Can I have quiet word please, Mr Bill?” she asked, leading him to the corner of the room. ”The examination?” she said. ”Is like medical examination?”

Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:16 pm
by Mephistophilis
Looking daggers at her, Bill hisses 'As in forensic examination.'

Heh, that's what I thought

Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:09 pm
by Borderline
"Right this way, Deputy Ken convinced me to leave her to wait for you all. He said it could be important to uncover some kind of malfeasance."

Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:20 pm
by Mephistophilis
'And do you have any reason to think there might be anything sinister going on?' asks Bill. 'Any threats, or enemies? Any sign of a break in?'

Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:17 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Was the door locked when you returned home, Mr. Worth?" asks Ralph, his tone more sympathetic. "Do you typically lock it?"

Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:15 am
by Philulhu
”Ah, is good,” replied Rachel, although Bill had already turned away and was talking to Mr Worth again.

Sighing, she followed them towards where the late Mrs Worth could be found…

Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:23 am
by Borderline
"We do and it was. The neighborhood has gone down hill, we started locking it about a month ago. I originally thought of a heart attack, except for that unnatural look on her face, then Ken told me she wasn't the first to end up like this."

Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:32 am
by Philulhu
”Begging pardon but who else has died?” Rachel asked. ”More peoples who live in this area?”

Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:08 pm
by aine
Albert thinks back to his comic books; this was a bit like The Case of the Romanian Gramophone. His sharp eyes start darting about the place looking for three-fingered handprints and other oddities.

Spot hidden 55 roll:68

Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:54 pm
by Borderline
Bob having been able to compose himself to speak more clearly "Apparently our case is unique but he didn't give me any details."
No evidence of fingerprints or forced entry

Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:44 pm
by Philulhu
Rachel pulled out her notebook and started to take notes. ”We should speak to this Mr Ken as matter of urgency,” she said to Bill.

Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:06 am
by Mephistophilis
Civilians! Bill groans silently. 'If you could take us to see the body please sir.'

'We can debrief with the deputy later,' he says to Rachel.

Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:33 am
by Borderline
Bob opens the door to the small sewing room. The smell is pungent but seasoned investigators know it is only the beginning. The picture was one thing but to see the pitiful look in person is universally disturbing. It's hard not to feel psychic pain in empathy with the twisted and tortured form. Even the body suggests revulsion and carnal fear.
All please make a Sanity roll, Bill and Ralph with a bonus die

Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:39 am
by Philulhu
(60%) 1d100

Whatever Rachel had thought she was going to see, it wasn’t the wretched sight of someone with every ounce of their fear written upon their face in the moments of their death. ”“Oh, my word…” she managed to say before her knees buckled and she found herself clinging onto Bill for support…

Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:16 pm
by aine
sanity 65. roll 96

Albert starts backing out of the room...

Civilians indeed!

Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:25 pm
by Mephistophilis
Feeling Rachel gripping his arm, Bill forces himself to look on the contorted face. The photograph really doesn't do it justice, the expression of abject horror, the suffering. He shudders involuntarily and tries to swallow the saliva in his mouth. For a moment he feels like he's choking.

53%d%d1d10

Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:05 pm
by Borderline
for failed San lose 1d4

Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:16 pm
by Philulhu
1d4

Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:17 pm
by Mephistophilis
L1d4

Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:15 am
by Borderline
Bob averts his eyes and excuses himself quickly.

Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:22 am
by Mr. Handy

Ralph manages to steel himself, having been prepared for what he might see, though he can understand everyone else's reactions. He surveys the scene carefully.

Sanity roll (current level 50) for seeing the corpse:
d%
Bonus die:
1d10*10

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:19 am
by Borderline
The sewing room is an approximately 10 foot square room with a curtained window on one end. There is a desk with patterns and sewing supplies. The chair Mary had been seated in is behind her about 3 feet from the desk. There are various decorations on the wall. There is a wooden cabinet and a closet.

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:06 am
by Mr. Handy

Before anyone steps into the room, Ralph carefully examines the floor for any sign that anyone has been in here: footprints, dirt tracked in from outside, and the like. While he realizes that Mr. Worth may have been in the room, he can compare the size of his feet if that turns out to be the case.

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:27 pm
by Philulhu
”Poor woman,” said Rachel. She glanced again and Mrs Worth and shuddered.

”What you think she saw to make her pull face like that?”

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:20 pm
by aine
san loss 1d4= 1

Albert walks slowly back into the room, averting his gaze from the woman’s face. This was very different to reading about it. He swallows and then trying to concentrate on what Ralph and Bill are doing.

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:45 pm
by Mephistophilis
Bill carefully studies the room. Looking for any debris or footprints on the floor, the exact orientation betweent the chair and the body, to see if it looks like she fell and how she might have been sitting and in what direction she was facing. Then, still without entering the room, he looks over the body, at what she is wearing, and for any signs of trauma.

Only then does he enter the room for a closer examination of the body.

'Mr Worth, I suggest you don't stay for this.'

He systematically starts from her fingertips, looking for any signs of a struggle, any fibres or other material, hand or fingerprints, blood, bruises, or other injuries. And the state of her clothing and the degree of decomposition of the body.

'Miss Douglas, could you note down my findings as I call them out.'

pHdd70%1d100

(F)40%1d100

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:00 pm
by Philulhu
”Of course, Mr Bill,” said Rachel, pulling out her notebook and a pencil. ”Begin when you are ready.”

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:12 pm
by Borderline
The spacing of the body suggests she had been seated facing the desk, pushed out with her legs and fallen off the left side of the chair. The drawer on the right side has been pulled out and it's contents emptied onto the floor suggesting she had been gripping the knob as she fell. Other than the standard "junk drawer" contents, scissors, yarn, various papers and junk mail being spilled from the drawer there are no signs of entry or struggle involving another person. The body is contorted in a painful looking posture but decomposition matches the reported time of death. The left hip shows signs of internal damage consistent with where she landed on the floor.

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:29 pm
by Philulhu
Peering around Bill’s shoulder, Rachel tried to see what might have caused Mrs Worth to react in the way that she had…

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:58 pm
by Borderline
Nothing appears terrifying, just a normal sewing room.

Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:40 am
by Mephistophilis
Bill methodically reports his findings to Rachel as he examines the body.

'It looks as though she was in her seat, facing the desk, with her hand on the drawer when she fell. Perhaps there was something in the drawer. Albert, help me look through this junk.'

Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:57 am
by Mr. Handy

Ralph helps search the room, taking a look inside the closet.

Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:18 am
by Philulhu
Rachel carefully noted down the information relayed by Bill.

Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:05 pm
by aine
Albert systematically goes through the contents. At one point he looks up to see what is beyond the desk.
“Maybe she saw something at the window.” He says. “You know, like a werewolf looking in.” He goes back to the items to see if anything is unusual.

Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:02 pm
by Philulhu
”W-E-R-E-W-O-L-F,” said Rachel mockingly, pretending to write in her notebook. ”Honestly, do you think werewolf real? You must read too many comic books!”

Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:40 pm
by Mephistophilis
Shushing Rachel and Albert's talk of werewolves, Bill raises an eyebrow at the suggestion of looking at the window. He gruffly concedes, 'That's not a completely bad idea son,' and inspects and then draws the curtains to look at the window itself and the view beyond.

Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:32 pm
by Borderline
Ralph is greeted by the smell of mothballs and old sweaters. There are a couple old umbrellas and some picture frames, a shoebox with keepsakes. Albert finds magazine clippings, thread and needles. He admires a picture of a cute puppy on a piece of junk mail for a dog washing business. The curtains would've had to have been open for her to make out details through the window and it would've been 90 degrees to her right. When Bill looks out the window he sees a dark clothed figure walking away from behind the Buick in an otherwise indistinct neighborhood scene lacking the childelren that had formerly been playing outside.

Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:51 pm
by Mephistophilis
Noticing the dark figure, Bill feels himself stiffen involuntarily. What have you been doing? He points them out to Albert, 'Think you could follow him son, find out who he is or where he's going?'

Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:21 pm
by aine
Albert looks out of the window, noticing the missing children and wondering if they’ve gone in for a nice lunch. His stomach rumbles.
“Right you are, Mr Gilmore.” He dashes outside and then begins to saunter unconcernedly after the dark figure.

Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:22 am
by Mr. Handy

"The rest of us should follow young Albert," says Ralph, "from far enough back that we can't see our quarry and he can't see us. All we need to do is keep sight of Albert. It's a time-honored technique for following someone."

Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:50 am
by Philulhu
”I will go, unless you need me to stay,” said Rachel.

Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:22 pm
by Borderline
By the time Albert reaches the street the man is climbing into the same car he saw earlier's passenger side. No sooner than the door closes the engine roars to life and the car is speeding towards Albert. Bob went with those who went downstairs and are just reaching the front door can see the scene from about 30 yards back. The car is closing distance quickly.

Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:51 pm
by Mephistophilis
Bill will have stayed behind, not expecting anything much to come from trailing the man. He might notice what's going on out the window.

pHdd70%d%

Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:22 pm
by Philulhu
Rachel had followed Albert downstairs and now watched with horror as the car accelerated towards him. Albert - run! said screamed.

Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:50 pm
by Mr. Handy

Ralph scrambles to get Albert out of the way.

Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:01 pm
by aine
Albert is dimly aware of Rachel shouting at him. Like a rabbit in the headlights, Albert is too focused on the cat accelerating towards him; at the last second, instinct takes over and he takes a mighty jump sideways.
Blown like a leaf he tumbles and for a split second the passing car hides Albert’s fate.
Dodge 55 roll:35

Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:01 pm
by Borderline
Albert comes to a rolling stop, slightly scuffed but no worse for the wear as the car speeds off.
Bill is able to get the licenseplate of the car license

Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:42 pm
by Mephistophilis
When the others return, Bill puts his hand on Albert's shoulder. 'Sorry about that son. Well done. I believe I have the licence plate, it may give us a lead. Michigan 593 447.'

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:31 am
by Mr. Handy

"Far from home," says Ralph, racing for his car. "If we hurry, we can catch him!"

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:53 pm
by aine
“I’m alright, Mr Gilmore.” Albert says rather shakily. “I’m sorry I lost him.
He brushes himself off. When Ralph suggests chasing the car, Albert soon forgets about his near miss and his eyes grow round.

Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:31 am
by Philulhu
”Oh, you poor boy!” said Rachel, rushing up to Albert. ”Let me take a look at you…” She pulled a handkerchief from her purse, licked it and started to rub dirt from his face… …

Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:35 pm
by aine
“Awww man!” Albert squirms under the administration but deep down he rather likes the mothering- he’s missed it for many years.

Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:06 pm
by Mephistophilis
'Some of us should stay here' Bill says to Ralph. 'Don't think it'd be wise to leave the scene unattended.'

He looks for Mr Worth to see if he has a telephone, hoping to call back to Washington and see if he can get someone to chase up that licence plate.

OOC:   I see Ralph's Drive Auto is a bit better than Bill's.  

Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:53 am
by Philulhu
”I stay,” said Rachel, continuing to scrub at Albert’s face with her handkerchief.

Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:00 am
by Borderline
Bob will ablige with a telephone. Anyone out by the cars will notice that Bill's tire is flat. Let me know who is going with Ralph and Ralph you can make a drive roll when ready to head out.

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:19 am
by Mr. Handy

Should I roll now, or should I wait to see if anyone joins me?

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:18 am
by Philulhu
Satisfied that Albert’s face was a clean as she could make it, Rachel folded her handkerchief and put it in her purse. Looking at Bill’s car, she said, ”What happened to tyre?”

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:47 pm
by aine
Albert rubs his face with a grimace and bends down by the tyre.
“I bet that stranger did this so we couldn’t chase him. But he didn’t know we got Commander Harper’s car. Please can we chase him, Mr Gilmore sir?”

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:34 pm
by Borderline
let's wait to see who goes where

Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:05 am
by Mephistophilis
Bill looks at the boy's eager face. Someone needs to go with the Commander, and Albert does have certain skills that might prove handy to Ralph. He groans inside and against his better judgement says 'Sure son, go with the Commander, but keep out of sight and don't do anything stupid.' He just knows he's going to regret this.

Returning to the house he makes a call to the Washington offices of the Bureau of Investigation to try and chase down that licence plate. He says to Rachel, 'We're going to need to change that tyre when we've finished up here.'

Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:39 am
by Philulhu
”Very well, Mr Bill replied Rachel. ”I never change tyre before but you can teach me.”

Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:47 pm
by aine
Albert tries to remain cool and collected.
“Yes, Sir. Thank you, Sir!” He bounces over to Ralph’s car and waits for him.

Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:09 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Hop in, son, and hold on tight!" calls Ralph, who has already started the engine. Once Albert is safely aboard, he pulls out in pursuit of the fleeing car.

Drive Auto roll (55% skill) chasing the car:
d%

Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:33 am
by Borderline
Ralph grips tight as the tires squeal and Albert is pinned against his seat. The target is in sight but gaining speed. They round one corner, then another but Ralph isn't giving up. The mysterious men gain some ground like a bat out of hell they narrowly weave past a truck leaving an angry obstacle for Ralph to navigate if he hopes to keep up.
Make a drive roll

Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:03 am
by Mr. Handy

Ralph is slow to react to the sudden appearance of the truck.

Drive Auto roll (55% skill) to avoid the truck:
d%
Eep! :shock: Can I push the roll? And if the pushed roll fails, can I then spend Luck?

Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:33 am
by Borderline
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's either push or spend but I wasn't going to have you hit the truck for a failed roll here, just lose time, now if you were to push and fail you most likely would crash

Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:08 am
by Mr. Handy

I'm not sure, as I'm not as familiar with 7th edition as I am with 6th, but if I'm not going to crash into the truck with that failure, I'll just take the failure and not push it.

Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:24 pm
by Borderline
Ralph wrenches the wheel to the right, slamming the breaks the car fishtails but avoids the heavy mass. Nearly coming to a full stop he knows he'll have to punch it if he's to have a chance at catching up now.
drive roll please

Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:34 pm
by Borderline
Back at the Worth residence Bill's call is answered by a familiar operator-"Not coming up with any flags on that plate dear, I'll put a search in, could take a couple days tho. Anything else I can do for you Bill?"

Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:48 pm
by Mr. Handy

With a lull in traffic, Ralph is able to make up some of the distance between him and his quarry.

Drive Auto roll (55% skill) to catch up to the car:
d%

Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:17 pm
by Borderline
I was looking for a hard or better on that roll, let's have Albert roll luck or spot hidden(whichever is better) and if he passes Ralph will have one more attempt at a drive to stay with them, otherwise they got to far off and turned out of sight (bad guys got a hard success followed by two passes so they're driving very well)

Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:24 pm
by aine
Albert peels himself out of the contours of the seat and leans forward, his sharp eyes looking for the silhouette of the bad guys’ car.
“Look, Commander, is that it- just turning past that flower shop?”
Spot hidden 55 (luck 75) roll: 45

Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:44 pm
by Mr. Handy

Ralph doesn't see the car until he is past the turnoff.

Drive Auto roll (55% skill) to keep following the car:
d%

Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:46 pm
by Mephistophilis
Not particularly surprised, Bill says 'Thank you, you can leave a message for me at the Royal Palm Hotel. I'm investigating something here in Boston, do we have any local assets on the books?' He wonders if there might be any local agents or contacts who could help him get an inside track on the local police's investigations.

Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:53 pm
by Borderline
Albert and Ralph pull up to the turn where thier quarry was last seen but the mysterious car is nowhere in sight.
Back at the investigation Bill is given the information requested- "The local Boston office can be reached at BO-39412, and you said that license plate was Michigan? They have an automobile crimes unit listed here at DE-19498."

Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:30 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Lost him," says Ralph, thumping the wheel. "Guess we have to go back and rejoin the others." He drives back to the house.

Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:36 pm
by Mephistophilis
Thanking her, Bill hangs up the phone and tries the Michigan automobile crimes office. 'Hello, I am Special Agent William Gilmore from the Bureau of Investigation in Washington. I would appreciate you checking a licence plate for me, it has been implicated in a federal case I'm investigating.'

Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:27 pm
by Borderline
On the other end a gruff sounding man responds between cigarette puffs, Bill can practically smell the nicotine through the phone "license plate? What's the number?"

Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:57 am
by Philulhu
Rachel returns to the room to look around, to see if there were any further clues about the events leading to Mrs Worth’s demise.

Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:15 am
by Borderline
Bob knocks on the door frame as he sheepishly pokes his head in the room. "Excuse me ma'am but have you figured out what happened to her?"

Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:46 pm
by aine
Albert says nothing, he sits mutely in his seat feeling that he has failed somehow; this wasn’t how it was supposed to go.
He fiercely scans every car on the road, daring their quarry to reappear.

Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:52 pm
by Philulhu
Rachel looked at Mr. Worth for a long moment, trying to think what an actual policeman might say. Mr Bill will say when he has finished on telephone,” she blurted out.

She looked at him for an uncomfortable period of time, then said, ”Have you seen strange man hanging round house?”

Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:38 pm
by Mephistophilis
Recognising this man isn't interested in small talk or niceties, Bill responds simply 'Michigan 593 447.'

Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:00 am
by Borderline
Bill-
"447 lemme see" the man grumbles mostly to himself. After a long wait- "you said it's implicated in a crime? Hasn't been reported stolen, registered to a Mildred Tate, blue model T ah let's see no phone number, got an address here tho."

Rachel-
The man stands mouth agape momentarily, "ah, of course. Thank you..and you're a..." he thinks better of his next question amd continues " right well if there's anything I can do please let me know."

Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:09 am
by Borderline
Albert-
In the excitement every car seems as if it could be the target prowler, even those which colors don't match. If this were one of his comics the car would surely appear, even pedestrians seem to resemble the hunted.
make an int or other appropriate roll to keep the men's faces and car fresh in your mind for possible future identification

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:17 am
by Philulhu
”Strange man hanging round house? Have you seen him?” Rachel repeats to Mr Worth, more slowly this time, so he doesn’t miss it.

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:55 am
by Borderline
Mr.Worth-
"OH! Sorry no, my brains a bit scattered, no haven't seen anyone suspicious hanging around, the neighborhood has gone downhill tho now that I think about it, we were lucky enough to be left alone. Our neighbors had a break in a couple weeks back I believe."

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:17 pm
by Philulhu
”Which neighbours? Could be linked to events here,” said Rachel, her pen poised to make a note of the address.

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:18 pm
by Borderline
"The Thompsons, Virgil and Sarah. They live behind us, three houses over." He motions towards the south east.

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:31 pm
by Philulhu
”Were Mr Thompson or Mrs Thompson hurt as result of burglary?” asking Rachel, jotting down the name of the neighbours.

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:48 pm
by aine
“It looks like they’ve giving us the slip, Sir. But I reckon I might remember them if I saw ‘em again.”
Albert says to Ralph.
Int 65 roll: 52

Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:00 am
by Mephistophilis
'Much appreciated,' says Bill. 'I'll take that address.'

Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:40 am
by Mr. Handy

"That'll help," says Ralph as he drives back. "I don't think we've seen the last of our mysterious visitor."

Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:22 pm
by Borderline
Bob- "Hurt? No they were out when it happened."

On the phone- "Wait a minute, I do have a number here, they never fill these things out right. Phone number is YP43988, address is 19 N Hamilton St, Ypsilanti, MI 48197

Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:49 pm
by Mephistophilis
Bill won't be driving out to Michigan but he reckons it is worth a try ringing the number. He calls YP43988 and waits for an answer, looking to see if Mildred Tate answers.

Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:12 pm
by Borderline
On the phone an elderly sounding woman answers in a shaky voice "Hello?"

Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:35 am
by Mephistophilis
'Mrs Tate? This is the Michigan State Police. We're checking up on a report that your vehicle has been seen out of state. Can you confirm your automobile, licence plate 593 447, remains in your posession?'

OOC:   Sorry busy Christmas  

Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:06 am
by Borderline
"Been out of state? No it's parked right in the driveway. Is there something wrong?"
OOC:   Hope you all had a good holiday happy to have you back  

Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:53 pm
by Mephistophilis
'Thank you mam, must be some mistake. Can you confirm the vehicle has been in your possession for the last week, the licence plate is still attached, and no one else has had access to the vehicle?'

Bill suspects someone has just duplicated her licence plate.

Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:47 pm
by Borderline
"It's been in my possession, my son drives it but he's been away the last two months. Hold on dear I'll go check the license plate." After a few minutes she returns- "The license plate is missing. What does this mean officer?"

Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:06 pm
by Mephistophilis
'It means you're going to have to get a new one I'm afraid,' says Bill. 'When was the last time you know you saw it was there, and have you seen anyone hanging around the car since then? And where's you son at the moment what's his name?'

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:19 am
by Philulhu
Good holiday, thanks. Hope everyone else did likewise :D

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:23 am
by Borderline
"Oh my, this is overwhelming. My son's name is Jeffrey, he's in the airforce, he often goes on trips for his job. I hadn't noticed it was gone- I'm not sure the last time I saw it but I haven't seen anyone hanging around at all, no."

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:40 pm
by Mephistophilis
'Don't worry mam, just get yourself a new plate when you can, we'll deal with everything else. And Jeffrey, where is he at the moment? Just for my notes you understand.'

When Bill has finished with Mrs Tate he lets the Michigan automobile bureau know the plate has been stolen and then calls the local Boston office of the Bureau of Investigation. He wants to give them the number plate to see if they can circulate it to local police and find out if they know anything more about these murders.

He's also going to check up on Jeffrey Tate. He doubts it will lead anywhere but he's learned to tidy up all the leads.

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:09 pm
by Borderline
Mrs. Tate will inform Bill that Jeffrey is in Hawaii but this is fairly difficult to confirm. Eventually Bill is able to ascertain to his satisfaction that Jeffrey is involved in training in Hawaii. He also puts the word out about the plate but doesn't receive any information directly at this time, though they do promise to let him know if anything comes up.

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:25 pm
by Borderline
Safe to assume you give out the hotel room phone number to contact you with any updates?

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:03 pm
by Mephistophilis
Definitely

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:51 am
by Borderline
OOC:   This is about the time Ralph and Albert will be returning to the Worth residence  

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:32 am
by Mr. Handy

Ralph parks the car in front of the house and leads Albert back inside. "Lost him," he says. "He was just too good a driver."

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:00 pm
by aine
“Commander Harper is a good driver too.” Albert says loyally, “It’s just the other guy was fiendishly good. I bet he’s an ex racing driver probably. You should have seen him on the corners; straight through a fruit ‘n’ veg store; chickens everywhere.
It was pretty good.”

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:30 pm
by Philulhu
Rachel looked at Albert questioningly, eyebrows raised. She was already forming the impression that he was prone to exaggeration. Spotting a mark on his chin she pulled out a damp handkerchief and started scrubbing again…

Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:49 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, young man," says Ralph to Albert.

Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:15 am
by Borderline
OOC:   I freaking love all your characters XD  

Re: Worth residence

Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:36 pm
by Mephistophilis
Bill sighs at the news, another dead end. 'Damn, that's a real shame. License plate went nowhere, stolen from a little old lady in Michigan in the last few days. We're dealing with professionals.' When he's sure Mr Worth is out of earshot he says, 'The question is, are they doing the killings directly or just covering it up. And why.'

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, we can at least have the police look out for those plates," says Ralph. "Michigan plates will be very rare around here. Of course, if he's got any brains, he'll swap out his plates now."

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:18 am
by Philulhu
”Telephone police now,” said Rachel urgently, tucking her handkerchief into her purse. ”Before plates are changed and man get away. And then Mr Worth want to know who killed wife.”

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:01 pm
by aine
Albert squirms out of Rachel’s reach, glowering; she isn’t at all like the dames in his detective books. He secretly checks out her shoes- no, she is very different.
“Excuse me, Sir. Do you think those goons followed us from the hotel? I just don’t why they were still loitering about here after the murder. If it was them.”

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:32 pm
by Mr. Handy

"That's a good point, son," says Ralph. "Why else would the killer come back here? We'll have to keep an eye out to make sure nobody's following us, and if someone is, turn the tables."

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:03 am
by Mephistophilis
'I've already got the police looking for that plate,' says Bill. 'But you're right Albert,' he says grudgingly. 'It's most likely they followed us here.'

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:06 am
by Mr. Handy

"It also means they knew where we started from and followed us from there," adds Ralph.

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:19 pm
by Philulhu
”Why would murderer follow us back to scene of crime? That make no sense,” said Rachel. ”Most murderers run away, not go back to see how investigation is getting on.”

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:17 pm
by aine
“Maybe they’re worried about us finding clues and are trying to draw us off the scent.” Albert says.

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:16 am
by Mr. Handy

"It is an awful risk to take," says Ralph. "He must have been desperate to take it. Or maybe the mysterious stranger isn't the murderer at all, but someone else with an interest in the case, though obviously a criminal of some sort. Either way, we need to find him in order to learn more."

Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:00 pm
by Mephistophilis
'We can't even prove that she was killed,' grunts Bill. 'And we've got nothing to go on to find this guy.'

'We've learned all we can here. Time to give our condolences to Mr Worth and go take a look at another crime scene.'

Bill is unhappy that he hasn't really learned anything useful, except that there was nothing obvious about Mrs Worth's death. But this interference from outside parties, at least it suggests someone doesn't want them digging. That there's something more to be found.

Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:39 pm
by aine
Albert’s ears prick up at the mention of another crime scene- more clues! As they prepare to leave he asks,
“Mr Gilmore sir. Is it really true that you can be scared to death?”

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:48 am
by Philulhu
”Who will take care of Mrs Worth?” protested Rachel. ”Do we need to telephone coroner?”

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:12 am
by Mr. Handy

"The police should take care of that," says Ralph, "but we can ask them when we're done here. We'll need to know the results of the autopsy ourselves in any case, once the coroner finishes it."

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:04 pm
by Borderline
OOC:   everybody in the house make a listen roll  

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:05 pm
by Mr. Handy

Ralph hears nothing.

Listen roll (20% base skill) in the house:
d%

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:18 pm
by Mephistophilis
L40%d%

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:17 am
by Philulhu
(30%)1d100

Edit: Nope…

Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:58 pm
by aine
listen, 50 roll:8

Albert looks up, his eyes widening.

Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:52 pm
by Borderline
OOC:   Albert you hesitate not knowing if you're mind is playing tricks on you or if you hear an unsettling sound coming from the sewing room where Mary's body is.  

Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:51 pm
by aine
Albert picks at Bill’s sleeve,
“Er, Mr Gilmore. I think there’s someone nextdoor- I think I can hear them moving about the room.”

Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:14 pm
by Mephistophilis
'Probably just Mr Worth, still, we ought to go and say our goodbyes. Come on Albert.'

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:43 am
by Mr. Handy

"Maybe we should check it out," says Ralph, "just in case. At the very least, we can ask the neighbors questions. They may have seen or heard something."

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:00 am
by Philulhu
Rachel followed the others to say goodbye to Mr Worth.

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:05 pm
by aine
“But it’s not...” Albert watches the adults leave the room. He heads towards Mary’s room to see what was making the odd noise.

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:26 pm
by Mephistophilis
Bill follows Albert, he had assumed Mr Worth was in his wife's room, with the body.

Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:11 pm
by Borderline
OOC:   So just to clarify the sound is coming from the room where the body is, and Mr. Worth may or may not be in the room, is everyone going in?  

Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:24 pm
by aine
Albert is going to for a quick peek.

Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:21 pm
by Mephistophilis
Bill strolls purposefully and unworried towards the adjoining room.

Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:47 am
by Mr. Handy

Ralph follows.

Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:03 am
by Philulhu
Rachel follows the others to say goodbye to Mr Worth.

Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:47 am
by Borderline
The party enters the room but Mr.Worth is not there. There is however a sound that becomes clear, a low pitch gravely moan coming from the corpse and slowly building in intensity.

Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:06 am
by Mr. Handy

"Could she still be alive?" asks Ralph. "Did anyone actually check?"

Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:43 pm
by aine
Albert feels the hair on his head begin to shift,
“Er, Mr Gilmore; wwwhat’s that?” He stutters, beginning to back away again but unable to take his eyes off Mrs Worth’s high backed chair.

Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:53 pm
by Philulhu
”We had better check!” said Rachel, moving forward to help the poor woman. Mrs Worth alive? How could we have missed that?!’ she thought to herself.

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:14 am
by Mr. Handy

Ralph also approaches to see if there's anything he can do to help.

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:12 am
by Mephistophilis
In one smooth movement Bill draws his automatic and holds it in two hands, ready to swing up and acquire a target. 'Yeah, still alive, hope so.'

He examined the woman's body earlier, she's been dead for some time. No, this is something else, something worse. Bill's done this kind of work before, if it comes to it, she won't be the first abomination he's had to put down.

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:45 am
by Borderline
The corpse sits straight up letting out a ghastly ear shattering howl, eyes agape. Before Bill can draw a bead her head explodes with a pop and an echoing "NEVER, NEver, never." Gore bursts forth in all directions splattering everyone. Please make a Sanity check.

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:25 pm
by Mephistophilis
'What the fu...?' gasps Bill as he's splattered in blood, and gore, and brain matter. Quickly recovering his senses he holsters his weapon. 'Won't be needing this then.'

53%1d100

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:40 am
by Philulhu
I’ve posted twice but don’t seem to be able to delete this post.

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:40 am
by Philulhu
SAN Check (60%) 1d100

Rachel just stared at the headless corpse of Mrs Worth. She blinked once, twice, and looked at Bill and the others.

”Poor Mr Worth,” she said, clearly in shock at the turn of events. ”However will he clean up this mess?”

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:37 am
by Mr. Handy

Ralph's eyes go wide in shock.

Sanity roll (current level 50) for seeing the corpse move and its head explode:
d%

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:23 pm
by aine
Sanity: 65 roll: 54

Albert sees a fountain of grey funk and goo explode from the chair. He ducks behind Bill and shuts his eyes.