Page 1 of 1

IC-Ep 3-Breakfast Time(Elizabeth/Jacques/Gui/Jean Luc/Bey Abdu'l)

Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:58 am
by Mr. Handy
Duc's Palace, Great Hall - Vyones, Auvergne, France
8:35 AM - Tuesday, April 21, 1517

Jacques arrived in the Great Hall shortly after Elizabeth, Gui, and Jean Luc arrived. While none of the other guests were here, whether due to having eaten earlier, having taken breakfast in their rooms, or having slept in late, there was still plenty of food and drink laid out on the long table. Servants stood ready if there was anything else they wanted. A few minutes later, Henri led Bey Abdu'l and his servant into the hall.

"Water for the Great Bey and his servant!" Henri snapped to one of the servants. "Make sure it isn't cold!"

"Right away!" said the servant, scurrying off, presumably to the kitchen.

Re: IC-Ep 3-Breakfast Time(Elizabeth/Jacques/Gui/Jean Luc/Bey Abdu'l)

Posted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 12:46 am
by Philulhu
”Talking to your servants like that will almost guarantee that at least some of the ‘water’ will be delivered at body temperature,” Gui said quietly to Jean Luc, as he looked on with a wry smile.

Posted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 1:46 am
by Snapper

Jacques wandered in, neat and fully dressed for the day, found an apple and idly started throwing it in the air and catching it one-handed.

He nodded politely to the lady present. "Miss Elizabeth, I trust the morning finds you refreshed. Have you and the other ladies of Narnia made further progress on our, ah, mystery?"

"You may be interested to know that Father Ignacio, the Inquisitor, also has grave concerns about this play that is to be presented here. I suggested he discuss this with you and your companions. He could make a very powerful ally." The expression on his face suggested the Father was a 'mixed blessing'.

Posted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:43 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Jean Luc nodded in agreement with Gui, " Most definetly, his refreshment will be a....house specialty"

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:41 am
by aine
“Good morning, Chevalier. Have you been out riding yet this morning? My companions and I worked late into the night. They are still sleeping so I don’t know what they found out.”
Elizabeth walks next to Jaques to the table.
“I’m afraid Mme. Amelie d’Erlette may be caught up in whatever’s going to happen. Are you sure about the Spanish priest? He’s not going to start locking us all up because of the Automaton or because we are dealing with, er, strange arcane knowledge.”

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:18 pm
by Snapper

Jacques stepped closer to Elizabeth. "No, I slept late myself. I must take that fiend Buttons out soon or he shall be eating stable boys again." He tossed and caught the apple again.

In a much quieter voice he continued, "I should not mention our Master Suit of Armour though, we need not share every secret." (Toss, catch.)

"Otherwise, you need not fear the priest. He searches for secret heretics, that is his vocation. A good Christian has nothing to fear from him. The Inquisition is forbidden from imprisoning and, ah, questioning Christians."

"And as I say, he is quite vexed by this play." (Toss, catch.)

"Mlle Amelie d'Erlette, the Comte's daughter? Surely not, she is a child."

1d%95%

Inquisition Know roll success.  

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:04 pm
by Philulhu
”He was riding last night…” Gui said quietly to himself, with a knowing smirk.

Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:08 am
by Joajackson

Bey Abdu'l entered the room a little later than the rest, Henri proclaiming his orders for drink. He sat along with his servant, trying to keep away from the Christian group, for he was not attemping to intercede in their private conversation.

Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:51 am
by Mr. Handy
A minute later, the servant returned with two mugs of water. Steam came from them, but they were not too hot to touch, for he had no problem carrying them. He placed them before Bey Abdu'l and his servant.

Feel free to continue to converse and interact.

Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:28 pm
by Snapper

Jacques noticed the arrival of the ancient, who looked about ready to die over the effort of eating breakfast. Addressing Elizabeth, L'Argot, and Jean Luc together at a much more normal volume, he asked, "More guests? Another Saracen gentleman, I gather?"

Putting the apple aside for equine bribery later, Jacques efficiently found some breakfast to tuck into at the same time.

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:35 am
by aine
Elizabeth is determined to see the inquisitor in a better light but wonders what he would think of people who revere a giant lion.
She looks around the breakfast dishes and picks out a plate of choice fruits. This she carries over and places it in front of Henri.
“For your master, I hope he slept well.” Then she collects her own breakfast and sits with Jaques, Gui and Jean Luc.
“Have you all got plans for the day? Before the play this evening?”

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:03 am
by Mr. Handy
"Thank you, Mademoiselle," said Henri, taking the plate of fruit and departing.

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:59 am
by BoyBlunder78
Turning towards Jacques ,Jean Luc asks "What concerns could our friendly inquisitor possibly have about this play? No one seems to know anything about it, even the players themselves admit they dont reallyknow how ot is going to turn out, it is quite tye enigma."

Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:25 am
by Snapper

Jacques nodded towards Elizabeth. "Miss Elizabeth knows of this play and has concerns about it."

"As for the Inquisitor," he shrugged, "I'd suggest ask him yourself, if you dare. He believes both the play and the players are blasphemous. Somehow, he obtained a copy of the play last night, as I recall he said."

"For myself, I must take Buttons out to stretch his shanks before he becomes irresponsible." Jacques finished a light breakfast.

Unless events derail him, Jacques' plan is indeed to go for a morning ride.

Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:32 am
by Philulhu
Gui shrugged. ”He is an inquisitor and such men tend to be zealous. I’m sure he sees blasphemy in all sorts of behaviours that the less pious among us would consider quite normal,” he said, helping himself to breakfast.

Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:18 am
by Snapper

"Excuse me for a moment, Miss Elizabeth, I feel I should introduce myself to the new arrival, I don't wish to be ill mannered."

Jacques stood and made his way to the elderly Bey personage.
"Chevalier Jacques du Baudin, Order of the Knights Hospitaller, at your service," he introduced himself with a slight nod and a polite smile. "I am guessing from your clothes you must have traveled from Africa, The Levant, or the kingdom of the Turks?"

Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:01 pm
by Joajackson

Bey Abdu'l the elderly man stood up from his seat and gave a nod, introducing himself in Azeri for his translator to declare properly.

"I am Bey Abdu'l Fadl Benham, leader of Qizilbash, sage of the Safavid order, warrior of the Jihads against the christians of Georgia, general against the Uzbeks, and councelor to the King of Kings. Inform this knight that I am not of the Turks, by name, blood, or land, and my home is Persia."

Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:08 pm
by Philulhu
”Ooh, this should go well!” Gui grinned and leaned back in his chair to watch the conversation unfold…

Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:04 am
by Snapper

"Honoured to make your acquaintance," Jacques replied on training alone, mentally reeling from the list of titles. "Ah, my apologies then that one of my guesses was the Kingdom of the Turks, I meant no offence."

"I have heard of Persia. A land further east of the Levant, I believe. It is oft referred to in the Greek and Roman histories. And is most famous to us from Herodotus' account of the Battle of Thermopylae."

1d%95%(Fp)

Success.  

Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:50 am
by Joajackson

The elderly man kept speaking trough his translator, he had the patience of age for so slow of a method of conversation.

"So ancient history is not of serious relevance to me, still, I remember the victory of Xerxes I, King of Kings, in that battle. A lesson on the importance of numbers, one I consider in this foreign region, for I am one, and you are many. I expect us to not have hostilities, Chevalier du Baudin, and I accept your introduction."

Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:48 am
by Snapper

"Ummm, excellent. I shall leave you to enjoy your breakfast then." With a polite nod, Jacques headed back to the others. He gave Elizabeth a Gallic shrug of I think that went well.

"Is there any further on our suit of armour? I'm thinking I may perhaps quickly check to see how the Inquisitor is getting on the with Duc, and trying to convince the Duc to call off this play. Then I had better see to Buttons."

Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:15 am
by BoyBlunder78
Jean Luc looks down at his plate of food, a little disappointed that the exchange he just witnessed was not as entertaining as he'd hoped. He thn sharply raised his head. Turning to Jacques, " You say our friendly inquisitor has a book of the mysterious play? I wonder if he has it with him. I am most curious to see it."

Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:56 pm
by aine
I too am curious to see the play as it is written. Surely there would be some clue to what will unfold during the evening and we can prepare.” Elizabeth turns to Jaques.
“Chevalier, would you be kind enough to introduce me to Father Ignacio before you ride out?”
She leans forward and in a conspiratorial tone says,
“You might want to congratulate Bey Abd’ul on his country’s success in Egypt and their defeat of the Mamulk Sultanate earlier this year; it’s a bit more up to date.”
She says with a smile.
History: 73 roll:21

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:41 am
by Philulhu
Gui rolled his eyes and went back to eating his breakfast. The old fool had taken against him and yet was seemingly tolerant of the Chevalier. The only logical conclusion was that he was a shocking judge of character!

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:24 am
by Mr. Handy

It was the Ottoman Empire (the aforementioned Turks) who defeated the Mamluks, not the Safavid Empire. Elizabeth, you may want to edit that post.

Elizabeth also knew that while Xerxes did indeed eventually win the Battle of Thermopylae and defeat the famous 300, the time they bought enabled the Spartans to ultimately drive off the Persians.

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:03 am
by BoyBlunder78
aine wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:56 pm I too am curious to see the play as it is written. Surely there would be some clue to what will unfold during the evening and we can prepare.” Elizabeth turns to Jaques.
“Chevalier, would you be kind enough to introduce me to Father Ignacio before you ride out?”
She leans forward and in a conspiratorial tone says,
“You might want to congratulate Bey Abd’ul on his country’s success in Egypt and their defeat of the Mamulk Sultanate earlier this year; it’s a bit more up to date.”
She says with a smile.
History: 73 roll:21
" Good, it would be interesting to read a play that is never performed the same way twice....very intriguing" Jean Luc added.

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:10 am
by Snapper

"Of course, Miss Elizabeth, I can make the introductions now, or at least as soon as we find the Father. I'm not sure anyone ever considered being presented to him was an act of kindness as such, mind you."

"Shall we take our leave of the table now? Perhaps before the elderly gentleman thinks of something else to say. Or dies."

Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:49 pm
by aine
Elizabeth looks alarmed at the old man but he seems well enough, just half asleep. She finishes nibbling the fruit, wishing that coffee had been invented by this point.
“Yes, let’s go. The more time we have to prepare, the better. I’d like to find out where the players are too and try to meet them.”
She turns to Jean Luc and Gui,
“Are you coming too?”

Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:44 pm
by Joajackson

With the Chevalier leaving to continue his talk with the rest, the old man continued his breakfast, the group of christians seemed quite isolated in their united conversation. Secrets, presumed the Bey, common in any noble court.

He had no interest in them, old romances and petty squables in kingdoms far beneath His notice and care.

He unfortunately couldnt leave to find interesting conversation that wasnt currently occupied, for he had to await for if the Duc was to call him, so he stayed, accepting of the solitary silencie of the old age.

Now, the narnian lady seemed quite unaware of the history of his kingdom, and pretty insulting too, but he wasnt to correct her mistake, it would imply he was listening to their conversation, and that would be far ruder.

Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:22 pm
by Philulhu
Mais oui, Medamoiselle,” replied Gui, nodding. He picked up another pastry, and arose from the table.

”Where are we going?” he asked, taking a large bite.

Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:49 am
by Snapper

"Father Ignacio was seeking an audience with the Duc. So, I suggest we look for the Duc."

Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:40 pm
by BoyBlunder78
" Oui mademoiselle, i too would like to find the players I'm very intrigued to see there preparations." Jean Luc replied.

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:17 am
by Mr. Handy
Henri returned. "The Duc and Duchesse are now prepared to give audience in their chambers to all who wish to speak to them," he said. "Everyone who wishes, please follow me."

You're all actually in the Great Hall now.

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:18 am
by Snapper
Oops! Slightly amended the last post to make more sense then.

Jacques politely gestured for Elizabeth to go first, intending to follow along to see the Duc and Duchesse.

Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:46 pm
by Philulhu
”Very well,” said Gui, brushing pastry crumbs from the front of his jerkin, trying if possible to ‘accidentally’ flick them onto Jacques when his attention is elsewhere.

”Let us go and see the Duc and see what fettle he is in today.”

Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:50 pm
by Joajackson

As the Bey was required by the customs of hospitality, he indicated his translator he would be going to meet the Duc.

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:07 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Finishing off his drink, Jean Luc adjusts his attire then gestures to Elizabeth, "After you fair lady."

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:48 pm
by aine
Elizabeth nods and leads the way out. As she passes Jaques she stops momentarily, “Excuse me, Chevalier.” She flicks a few errant crumbs from his shoulder. She continues to the audience.

Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:25 am
by Philulhu
”Messy!” Gui tutted at Jacques as he followed Elizabeth.

Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:22 am
by Mr. Handy
Henri led the group up the stairs on the east wing of the chateau, to the living quarters of the Duc and his household. The Duc's chambers were even more lavish and extravagant than their own luxurious guest quarters. Beautiful paintings, tapestries, and banners lined the walls, and marble statues dotted the edges of the antechamber, which they entered through a pair of large mahogany doors. Another pair of doors led to the inner chamber, where the Duc and Duchesse sat upon twin thrones that were at least plated with gold, if not made entirely of the stuff.

They were not the first to arrive, however. Father Ignacio had gotten there ahead of them, and he was in front of the noble couple with a sheaf of papers in his left hand, while with his right, he was gesticulating wildly. "I tell you, this play is the most blasphemous thing upon which I have ever laid eyes, Your Grace!" he said. "It must not be performed under your roof, or surely disaster will follow!"

Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:52 am
by BoyBlunder78
" Your friend does not mince his words! That must be the play...." Jean Luc whispers
as he leans into towards Gui.

Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:04 am
by Snapper

aine wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:48 pm Elizabeth nods and leads the way out. As she passes Jaques she stops momentarily, “Excuse me, Chevalier.” She flicks a few errant crumbs from his shoulder. She continues to the audience.

("Most kind," Jacques said to Elizabeth, then cast a suspicious glance at the ceiling, frowning.)

Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:44 am
by Philulhu
”’Friend’ is a bit strong, but he does seem agitated, does he not?” Gui replied quietly.

Father Ignacio,” he continued, somewhat louder. ”What troubles you this fine morning? What have you discovered?”

Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:43 pm
by Joajackson

The Bey did want to present himself at the duke, and was interested on the blasphemy accusations, but would be improper for him to interrupt as Gui had already spoken.

Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:54 pm
by aine
Elizabeth looked in wonder at the beautiful wall hangings and paintings. The colours were so vibrant compared to when she last saw similar ones in a French museum.
She crossed her fingers, hoping le Duc would heed the priest’s words.

Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:23 am
by Mr. Handy
"It is this play," said Ignacio, turning to them and waving the papers in his hand, "Le Roi en Jaune, that the players are planning to perform this evening. It is an unspeakable evil!"

Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:45 am
by Philulhu
Gui looked shocked. ”How so, Father?!” he exclaimed.

Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:27 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Intrigued Jean Luc stepped forward. " Father Ignacio how did you come by the script?!! It is extremely rare?!"

Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:46 pm
by Mr. Handy
"Someone gave me this copy last night," says Ignacio. "I cannot say who; I am bound by the confessional seal. This play has demonic influence, and it features unheard of cruel gods and things that have no right to exist in this world. Believe me, you are better off not knowing the details. Reading the play's script is bad enough, but it could inspire all sorts of wickedness to see it performed."

"But we have heard such wonderful things about this play," said the Duc.

"From the players," said the Duchesse, "and what they said was rather vague."

Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:09 pm
by Joajackson

Taking a step forward, Bey Abdu'l Benham made a sign to his translator to herald his appearence, and introduce him to the duke and duchess. With a proper salute to begin, the old man continued by talking in Azeri, so his translator could repeat in french.

"My greatests commemorations, oh Duke d'Avergne, your home is fit even for a Shah, and your wife has a great beauty of the years and wisdom.

I have heard these unfortunate accusations of blasphemy, terribly worrisome, for I am a man as expert on the words of the True One God as the present men of the Book, Ignacio.

I ask, that before any decision be done over this accused art, I might judge its contents, for we are all Men of the Book and we can blasphemy upon the Lord."

Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:23 pm
by Mr. Handy
"Thank you, Bey Abdu'l," said the Duc. "I am glad that you were able to attend. I have heard of your great wisdom and knowledge, and I had been hoping to see them for myself. I look forward to hearing what you have to say about this play."

"I am Father Ignacio Fernandez," said the priest to Bey Abdu'l, "of the Spanish Inquisition. I am reluctant to expose anyone else to the evils of this play, especially one of such advanced age. I am trained to withstand such exposure, but even a man of strong spirit might risk his heart failing him."

Please roll Persuade if you want to convince him to show you the play.

Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:57 pm
by Joajackson

The button to do dice rolls doesnt work for me half the time, so I actually dont know how to use it.

Okey, it seems I used it correctly, Hard Success

"I have battled in multiple wars, seen the One True God will a King of Kings to rule all Persia, won against the King of Rum one to eight, and lived almost twice as much as your elderly inventor, the great DaVinci of Lombardia. My heart wont give up now."

The great Bey had been a minor political figure during the unificación wars for Persia by the Safavid dinasty, a very interesting period of history, and so he expected his translator to speak for him

Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:06 pm
by Mr. Handy
"Still, your reputation for wisdom is known even as far as Spain," said Ignacio. "If anyone can withstand the evil, it is you. Very well." He first showed him the cover page of the script, titled "Le Roi en Jaune." Below it was a large yellow symbol that just seemed wrong:

Whatever you did, it worked. Your roll was a very good success.

Bey Abdu'l, please roll Sanity. Sanity loss is 0/1, so you lose no Sanity if you pass, but 1 if you fail.

Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:12 pm
by Joajackson

The bey opened the script and began to read, sligthly creeped out by its strange symbols.

Wait, do I use normal sanity rules, arent the middle age sanity rules different?
Anyways, passed

Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:13 am
by Mr. Handy
The script was confusing, especially considering his limited knowledge of French.

It's regular Sanity rules. Reading the entire script will take hours, provided you can understand it. It will also cost you Sanity. Please roll Other Language: French to see if you can even decipher it.

Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:16 am
by Joajackson

After observing it for a while, the Bey closed it and spoke to his translator, consulting him in a specific word... Then he paused, looking at everyone arround him, and spoke again to his translator.

"I... I am very sorry, this... Is quite embarasing. I dont actually know enough french to read this without taking some hours or days. I... I am very sorry."

The man was baffled by finding something that he couldnt understand for once in his life.

After a moment of confusion, he spoke again.

"If I was allowed to read it with my companion... I could give a veredicto before the rise of the new sun. But as a preliminary evaluation, a dark aura haunts this tome, I would believe Father Ignacio and at least wait two extra days before it is acted. It would be a wound in my honour if the actors did something profane, when I could have stopped it, be I was even sligthly wiser and quicker."

Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:09 am
by BoyBlunder78
Listening to the conversations and the words 'blasphemous and phrases like dark aura Jean Luc whispers, "All this intrigue is certainly wetting my appetite for this play."

Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:11 am
by Mr. Handy
"I'm afraid there is not time," said the Duc. "The play is due to be performed this evening."

Anyone may roll Persuade or Fast Talk to try to convince the Duc to cancel the performance.

Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:42 am
by Snapper

1d%pd50%

Extreme success.  
Reluctantly, Jacques stepped forward and gave a polite soldier's bow. His was not the voice of a polite courtier, eloquent of speech. Rather, his was the rougher voice of a knight on the bastions, convincing his men to follow him once again onto the red-soaked field of battle.

"Your Grace, the generosity displayed to all guests of this chateaux is unsurpassed. Your Grace and the Duchesse are models of Christian charity. For that reason if no other, I have been reluctant to speak for fear of seeming ungracious and ungrateful."

"I must now speak in support of Father Ignacio, however. I do not know the reputation of this gentleman from Persia but I do know what Father Ignacio brings with him, a lifetime of commitment, and years of study and experience. If the Father believes this play should at least be delayed until wiser heads can study it, I beg of you to consider his request."

Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:54 am
by Mr. Handy
"Of course, you are correct, Chevalier," said the Duc. "If there is any danger at all, this play must not be performed. Henri, go tell the players that it is canceled. There is no sense in them wasting more time rehearsing and preparing for it. I shall think of a suitable replacement entertainment for this evening."

"Right away, Your Grace," said Henri. With a bow, he departed.

Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:19 am
by Philulhu
BoyBlunder78 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:09 am Listening to the conversations and the words 'blasphemous and phrases like dark aura Jean Luc whispers, "All this intrigue is certainly wetting my appetite for this play."
”It seems we are to be denied, mes ami,” Gui whispered in reply. Le cul de chevaux has spoken and as if by magic, all of the fun has gone away!”

Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:06 am
by BoyBlunder78
" Yes, it seems to be a most annoying habit he is developing. Sucking the very enjoyment and pleasure from every room he enters. I pity his future wife, no games of cacher la saucisse for her!" Jean Luc responds with a sigh.

Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:14 pm
by Philulhu
”I don’t know,” replied Gui. ”When he takes her for a walk by the boucherie, she probably won’t be able to help herself!”

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:51 am
by Snapper

Jacques bowed again. "Most grateful, Your Grace."

Stepping back, he looked at Elizabeth and Bey Abdul. "Perhaps you might both be able to assist Father Ignacio in studying the play further?" Jacques looked over at the translator. "With some aid translating."

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:20 am
by Mr. Handy
"I don't think that's a good idea," said Ignacio. "There is no point now to further study of the play. It can only bring harm. It should be destroyed, lest it spread like a plague."

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:10 am
by BoyBlunder78
" By all accounts this play is being performed throughout France, so there must be other copies as this troupe can't be the only ones. Surely forewarned is forearmed and the more we understand the play the greater chance we have of fighting its corrupting influence Father Jean Luc says, eyes fixed on the play in his hands. " Or maybe talking to the players themselves about their motives?"

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:41 pm
by Philulhu
”Encouraging people to talk sounds like a job for the Inquisition,” said Gui.

Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:34 am
by Mr. Handy
"It was only performed once before in France, in Milan," said the Duc.

"That's right," said the Duchesse, "and once in Genoa, whence they hail. They said so at supper last night. He translated the play from Latin himself."

"Studying the play could result in its corrupting influence having an effect on the reader," said Ignacio. "Bey Abdu'l and I have the strength of will to withstand that influence, but most people do not. It is too dangerous. But you are right that we should definitely ask questions of the players. I would expect Enrico Galiano to put in appearance here once he learns the performance isn't going to happen. All we must do is wait for him."

Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:45 am
by Snapper

Jacques nodded to Father Ignacio. "Of course, Father, in these matters I am a complete novice. And I should not wish Miss Elizabeth unnecessarily exposed to risk to her soul," Jacques looked over to Elizabeth, "nor anyone else." With somewhat less concern, he glanced across at Gui, Jean Luc, and Bey Abdul.

"Waiting for the arrival of the player Galiano is a sound plan and I am interested to see his reaction. If His Grace has no objection."

Jacques looked back to Elizabeth. "I wonder how Master Leonardo is this morning?"

Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:42 pm
by Joajackson

The noble persian did a great sign of respect to the Duc and Duchess, that had gained reason. His curiosity did tempted him to keep studying the writings, but he wasnt that foolish to advance blindly into an ambush, physically or mentally.

"Thank you, oh great Duc, you show wisdom as those of a sage, the corruption of the soul is the objective of many a devil, but your actions show your mettle."

"I agree with Priest Ignacio, no good could come from further study beyond what is know. If no one is against, I shall keep the tome for safekeeping, for my sword is rusty, but can break bones as in youth."

"I shall retire to my room, if no one is against it, at least for half an hour, as I wish to write down this tale into my diaries when the memory is hot. Your showings of faithfullness are deeply interesting to my hearth. Then I shall return, and join you, Chevalier Jacques and Priest Ignacio, to meet the actor."

Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:58 pm
by Philulhu
”Your Grace, I would be honoured to offer my services as a witness to events, if required,” Gui said with a deep bow.

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:38 am
by BoyBlunder78
" As i your Grace, for there is prudence in numbers." Jean Luc says as he to bows.

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:15 am
by Mr. Handy
"Thank you," said the Duc. "You are all welcome to remain."

"I had best hold onto the play," said Ignacio to Bey Abdu'l. "It was entrusted to me. If you retire to your chambers for half an hour, you will miss the actor. He will probably be here in a few moments."

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:39 am
by Philulhu
Gui made himself comfortable and waited for the show to begin.

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:17 am
by BoyBlunder78
"I wonder what Master Da Vinci and his...friend are upto. Surpised not see him at breakfast." Jean Luc says as he looks around the room.

Re: IC-Ep 3-Breakfast Time(Elizabeth/Jacques/Gui/Jean Luc/Bey Abdu’l)

Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:04 am
by Philulhu
”I suspect he’s the type who could lose himself in his work and then realise he hasn’t slept for days,” replied Gui. He surreptitiously looked around the room to see if there was any danger of a drink being provided while they waited.

Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:30 am
by Joajackson

The old man really didnt want to give Father Ignacio the tome, for it was better for a proper follower of Allah, but he accepted to give it back and as such remained in place. At this point, he told his translator to bring him his diary and writing implements, he would transcribe the recent conversations, and the scene with the Duc.

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:32 pm
by aine
“Bravo, Chevalier, well said.” Elizabeth whispers to him. “ I can’t believe that Enrico Galiano is ignorant about the play but what his intentions are I can’t imagine. Be prepared for trouble once he’s told it’s to be cancelled.”

Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:31 am
by Mr. Handy
There were plenty of refreshments available for the guests to enjoy while they waited. They didn't have to wait long. Before long, Enrico Galiano came striding into the chamber, tailed by Henri. The middle-aged, stout, bald man with the black goatee's face was red. "You can't cancel the performance!" he protested.

"I can," said the Duc. "I have."

"But...but the show must go on!"

"No, it must not. The Inquisitor here has determined that it is blasphemous, and I will not have anything like that under my roof. My decision is final."

Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:37 am
by Joajackson

The Bey stood just at the side of the inquisitors, looking approvingly at the actions of the duke.

He spoke to his translator, in Azeri, that presumably was also just a his side, in a low voice.

"When appropiate, we shall also say Bey Abdu'l Fadl Benham also determined its dark aura, and that his writings would not be considered acceptable to Ala. In this I agree with the christians, and we must ensure it is clear, not let them get strange ideas, as they are prone to have them."

Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:18 pm
by Snapper

"Most kind," Jacques whispered back to Elizabeth, "But truthfully, I am no great and poetic speaker, like the ancient Greeks and Romans. More good luck than great skill on my part, I think."

"We shall see how the player copes with this news now though."

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:52 pm
by aine
“Unfortunately M. Galiano is likely to be a master smith with words. I hope le Duc can withstand him.” The hall is filling up; Elizabeth looks round for her companions, Leonardo and Diego seem to be late sleepers too.

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:11 pm
by BoyBlunder78
"Le Duc is a string willed forthright man and with the support of the Inquisition behind him plus the learned Bey Abdu'l Monsieur Galiano will jave his work cut out. Jean Luc says, scanning the crowd.

Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:58 am
by Philulhu
”I do not see what argument he might employ to persuade the Duc,” said Gui quietly. ’I must be allowed to perform my heretical play’ doesn’t seem like a winning position to me!”

Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:20 am
by Mr. Handy
More people began to arrive in the Duc's chambers for the audience. The rest of the Galiano players were not far behind Enrico, and soon Diego arrived, as did the other guests. Leonardo came last, as he moved more slowly than the others, with the exception of Bey Abdu'l, who had already arrived well before them.

It was at this point that Enrico noticed the sheaf of papers in the Inquisitors hands. "My script!" he cried. "How did you get it?!"

"I cannot say," said Ignacio. "I am bound by the confessional seal."

"It was stolen from me, Your Grace! There was an intruder in my guest quarters last night!"

"Did you recognize him?" asked the Duc. "What did he look like?"

"I...didn't actually see him. But I heard him rummaging about in the writing desk in the night, waking me up. He must have gotten frightened when I approached and fled. I took the script with me into my bedroom after that and returned to sleep, but it was gone when I woke up this morning!"

"Are you sure it was not one of your own family who took it and gave it to the Inquisitor?" asked the Duchesse. "They did have access to the rooms."

"Ridiculous! Charles was in the room with me when the intruder came the first time, anyway. He was awakened too. And my wife and daughter were still asleep."

Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:00 am
by Joajackson

Hearing the posible implications of thievery, the Bey commented in bad french.

"It seems Ala willed it to be so then."

Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:39 am
by Snapper

All humour drained from Jacques' face, he straightened - even more - and took one deliberate step towards Galiano. "M. Galiano," his voice cut sharply through the crowd, "You forget yourself, sir. You will address the Duchesse with the respect Her Grace is owed by rank, not to mention her kindness, generosity, and the fact she is a lady, or you will answer to me."

"In fact, there shall be a queue of gentlemen you will answer to, but St John grant that I should be the first."

Jacques' left hand came naturally to rest on the hilt of his scabbard.

Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:13 pm
by Philulhu
”Disgraceful behaviour!” tutted Gui. ”You really should mind your manners when speaking to your betters!”

Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:46 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Upon hearing the accusations of thievery, Jean Luc is reminded of the network of secret passages. Leaning over to Gui he whispers, "This places is riddled like a rats nest with hidden passages.....who do you think would've stolen the manuscript?"

Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:07 pm
by aine
Elizabeth looks over at Gui carefully, two burglaries in two nights; what a coincidence. She remembers the mysterious woman who might have ordered the first one.
She gives Gui a hard stare.

Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:42 am
by Philulhu
Merci,” said Gui, taking the hard stare from Elizabeth. He examined it carefully then set it aside, on a nearby table… 😉

”An art critic, perhaps? Or someone afflicted by piles who wished not to have to sit through its performance? Honestly, if it’s a bad as they say, the list is endless!” Gui whispered to Jean Luc in reply.

As he straightened up again, he caught Elizabeth’s stare. Looking shocked, he stared back, his hand on his chest as if mortally affronted at the suggestion that he had in any way been involved in the manuscript ending up in Father Ignacio’s hands… …

Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:51 am
by Mr. Handy
"M-my apologies, Your Grace," said Enrico. "This does not change the fact that there is a thief at large, however."

"The thief is being sought, and will be dealt with," said the Duc.

Enrico turned to Ignacio. "You know who he is, Father."

"As I have explained, I cannot say."

"I will have my script back, then."

"You will not. It should be burned. Be thankful that it is not you being burned."

The color drained from Enrico's face, and he looked away.

"Can you not perform some other play in its place?" asked the Duc.

"It is not that simple, Your Grace. It takes time to prepare a performance, to rehearse. Each play has its own costumes, its own sets."

"You are welcome to use what I have in my chateau to help you. We have a wide variety of costumes for the masquerade ball tomorrow night."

"There simply isn't time to have everything ready by this evening...but perhaps we could perform Antigone by tomorrow night. Could the masquerade be held tonight instead, Your Grace?"

Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:57 am
by Joajackson

The Bey seemed to be seriously considering something, maybe he could do some islamic poetry in the following nights. It wouldnt cover for an entire opera, but it would be considerably interesting, oh well, the christians didnt understand such delicate delights.

Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:40 pm
by aine
Elizabeth smiled secretively at Gui, she certainly didn't want to give the game away and whoever did steal the manuscript had done them all a big favour.
Her ears pricked up at the sound of a masquerade ball. It was something she'd always dreamed about doing and she wondered if her Ceilidh dancing skills would be sufficient.

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:04 am
by Snapper

Relieved to see the tense situation trending away from bloodshed, Jacques looked back to the Duc with a hopeful half-smile. "Your Grace, would it be possible to hold a masquerade tonight, a day early?"

"I'm sure it may be a hard task for your staff, but we guests should be most grateful. Who does not enjoy a masquerade?"

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:45 am
by Mr. Handy
"Yes," said the Duc, "that sounds most reasonable. We were going to hold it anyway, so we'll just move it up a bit. That does give less time to get our costumes together, but there is still enough. We shall announce the change in schedule at luncheon. In the meantime, anyone who wants to avail himself of our wardrobe and masks is welcome to do so. Just take care not to reveal to everyone which costume you selected for the masquerade."

"It is all part of the fun," said the Duchesse. "We shall all be in disguise, and we can try to guess who everyone is. Then, at the stroke of midnight, we all remove our masks and reveal who we are!"

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:10 am
by Snapper

"Most excellent news, Your Grace." With a short, polite bow to both the Duc and Duchesse, Jacques discreetly withdrew closer to Elizabeth and nodded in Leonardo's direction, while speaking quietly. "Shall we see how the Master has fared with our other mystery?"

Jacques headed over to Leonardo. "Master, we have hopefully solved one problem today. How goes all with you?"

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:45 am
by Philulhu
Spotting Jacques in quiet conversation with Elizabeth and da Vinci, Gui wondered what they were talking about. Carefully, he tried to zone out all the other chatter and just focus on the three of them.

Listen (35%) 1d100

I think I’ll spend two points of luck to make that a success.

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:08 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Jean Luc smiles at the mention of a masquerade ball. This night has just got more interesting he thinks, looking over to the players he wonders what they might get upto. Asking a passing servant where the playroom is with the costumes.

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:00 am
by Mr. Handy
"Good morning, Chevalier," said Leonardo. "I slept better than I did the night before, as my rest was undisturbed this time. I spent the morning in conversation with our friend."

"I'll be happy to bring all those who wish to where the costumes and masks are stored," said Henri. "If you wish to select something to use for the ball, just whisper it to me, and do not tell the other guests. They will be delivered to your rooms this evening."

This is 6th edition, so there's no spending Luck. You can't quite make out what they're saying unless you make it obvious that you're eavesdropping by getting closer, but you hear just enough to know that it's interesting!

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:18 am
by Snapper

Jacques hastily whispered to Henri before turning back to Leonardo with a look of apology.

"Henri, do you have anything like a Spartan warrior from ancient times? I'm feeling a bit inspired by the Legend of Thermopylae. Anything like an ancient Greek warrior should suffice."

"Sorry, I thought I would solve my masquerade plan early. I am pleased to hear you had a better rest, Master. Did our friend have anything to say this morning that helps unravel his particular mystery? Or is that a conversation for elsewhere?"

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:16 am
by Philulhu
”I should be most grateful, Henri,” said Gui. ”And if the Chevalier needs some assistance with his costume, we can perhaps find him something appropriate. Like the hindquarters of a baboon, or a dog’s winkle, for example.”

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:55 pm
by Joajackson

The elderly man considered the option of a masquerade, but finally renounced. He was too conspicous, he would never be able to disguise himself, he also needed his translator for any conversation. He would later ask to Henri for a basic and tasteful red mask.

He observed Leonardo de Lombardia with deep interest, not many old men like themselves existed. At least the bey was proud of being far older.

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:35 am
by Mr. Handy
"I believe I have just the thing, Chevalier," said Henri. "I shall point it out to you discreetly, and if it meets your approval, it shall be delivered to your room tonight."

"Alas, I have no new answers from him, only more questions," said Leonardo. "That is perhaps a discussion best had elsewhere, and when he is absent as well. I have a hypothesis, but no proof."

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:40 am
by BoyBlunder78
"Ahh Henri, i shall like to see what you have on offer, the more outlandish the better." Jean Luc says with a smile upon his face.

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:48 am
by Snapper

Sparing Gui no more than an arched eyebrow, Jacques turned back to Henri. "I shall be there momentarily, thank you."

He returned to Leonardo. "I must take my murderous horse for a ride or the stalls will resemble a battlefield. Perhaps I can find you later this morning to talk?"

Jacques beckoned a servant to find Mme Bianca, to let her know he was shortly to go riding if she was free to join him. He discreetly tipped the servant a denier in advance for their service. A second (tipped) servant was sent to the stalls to ask that Buttons be saddled.

"Miss Elizabeth, I hope you will excuse me but I must see to Buttons for the moment. I shall find Master Leonardo later this morning."

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:28 pm
by aine
Elizabeth smiles, “Enjoy your ride out, Chevalier. I’ll meet you later at the master’s studio.” She drops a small curtesy and turns away to catch Henri before he melts into the crowd.
” Dear Henri, do you think there might be a unicorn mask in the wardrobe?”

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:45 pm
by Philulhu
”Who calls their horse ‘Buttons’?” asked Gui, as the Chevalier headed off in the direction of the stables.

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:25 pm
by aine
“I suspect the Chevalier is either kind and soft-hearted under that rough, rugged exterior.” Elizabeth smiles. “Or the name is ironic; his horse sounds like a formidable battle-charger.”

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:59 pm
by Philulhu
”Quite possibly,” replied Gui politely, although he struggled to think of the Chevalier in any other light other than an armour-clad dolt.

”A formidable name would have seemed to have been a better choice, however. Something to strike fear into your enemies on the field of battle, rather than having them snort derisively in your direction…”

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:07 pm
by BoyBlunder78
"Buttons may link to a very concealed side of our stoic friend." Jean Luc remarks,as he shuffles off after Henri.

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:55 pm
by Philulhu
”You mean that under that playful exterior doesn’t beat the heart of sadistic maniac? Wonders will never cease,” said Gui, a look of mock horror on his face.

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:26 am
by Snapper

Oblivious to all concerns about his psyche, Jacques strode off after Henri to approve the proposed costume before taking Buttons out.

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:05 pm
by aine
Elizabeth, feeling very relieved that the play has been cancelled, walks over to Diego to give him the good news.
“Good morning, Sir.” She drops to a whisper, “you’ll be glad to know our metal friend had a peaceful night. And the horrors of the play have been averted, hopefully. We are to have a ball instead.”

Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:39 am
by BoyBlunder78
Chasing after Henri, Jean Luc asks, " Would you perhapshave a lion mask?"

Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:19 am
by Philulhu
Gui strolled after Henri. ”Let us see what costumes you have, monsieur,” he said, rubbing his hands together in anticipation.

Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:44 am
by Mr. Handy
"I'd be happy to join you for a ride," Bianca said to Jacques with a smile.

"That sounds delightful!" Diego said to Elizabeth with a smile. "I look forward to it."

Giulia smirked behind her fan, but she wasn't really trying to conceal it.

Henri led the group to the chateau's vast wardrobes, where all sorts of costumes and masks were arrayed. While it was not as vast a selection as available in the TARDIS's own wardrobe, which also included many outfits from eras - and worlds - beyond this one, it was still considerable.

"Some of these might be useful for performing Antigone," said Veronique, examining the racks, "but we may want to wear our own costumes to the masquerade."

Henri discreetly indicated a unicorn mask to Elizabeth. It looked like a horse mask with a horn sticking out of its forehead, though it was elegant, and the horn appeared to be genuine ivory.

Henri discreetly pointed out a Greek hoplite's outfit, complete with helmet. The armor looked functional as well as elegant.

Henri stood ready to assist Gui in selecting a costume and mask.

Henri discreetly pointed out a lion mask that was much like what Jean Luc wanted. He also indicated a fur coat of a similar color, if he was interested.

I can't put an apostrophe in the titles of spoiler buttons.

Henri discreetly pointed out a red mask of the sort that Bey Abdu'l would approve.

Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:00 am
by BoyBlunder78
Jean Luc's eyes lit up at the sight of the coat and gave Henri a discreet nod of approval.

Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:52 am
by Snapper

Jacques nodded happily to Henri. "A most excellent costume, that will suit me very well."

Jacques eyes lit up and his face relaxed into an easy smile at the sight of Bianca. "This morning is turning out most perfect indeed. Mme Bianca, have you heard there is to be a masquerade this evening in lieu of the play?"

Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:09 pm
by Philulhu
”I am looking for something quite specific… something with flair… and èlan…” said Gui as he inspected the rails of costumes. He sucked in his stomach and stood taller. ”Something that makes me more magnificent than I already am!”

He raised his eyebrows suggestively.

Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:42 pm
by Joajackson

The Bey wasnt going to be tricking anyone with the disguise, but obtained proper masks for both himself and his companion. Or better said, his companion took the masks that would be proper for both of them, the Bey wasnt gonna be carrying such things until the party.

The old man was more interested on the opportunity to present himself to Leonardo of Lombardia, that day would be lost only with terrible tomes and mindless gossiping unless.

Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:46 am
by Mr. Handy
Leonardo da Vinci was in the room as well, examining the costumes with interest.

"Yes, I was there when the Duc said it would be tonight," said Bianca, smiling back. "It should be fun." She looked over the costumes and masks.

"I think I have something you might like," said Henri to Gui.

Henri indicated a flowing white robe with a broad chest. He also pointed out a white cat mask.

Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:42 pm
by aine
“Thank you, Henri. Please have it delivered to my room, I already have a gown that will match.” Elizabeth spends some time drifting amongst the fabulous costumes, admiring the creativity.

Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:10 pm
by BoyBlunder78
" Henri have of the players enquired about costumes?" Jean Lucasks casually.

Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:26 pm
by Joajackson

The Bey decided to present himself to Leonardo of Lombardia, walking near him with his translator to introduce himself. He let the servant declare his name and titles, and did a proper salute the christian way. He waited for the answer of the engineer.

Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:21 am
by Philulhu
Gui nodded silently, accepting Henri’s recommendation (though he continued to look around, to see if anything else caught his eye).

Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:31 pm
by aine
Elizabeth overhears Jean Luc's casual question and drifts back towards him and Henri.

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:07 am
by Snapper

"Most excellent," Jacques said to Bianca. "I shall leave you to select a costume without fear of my peering over your shoulder."

"Shall we meet at the stables in a quarter hour, if that is sufficient time? And of course, I look forward to meeting your horse, Luciana, who is much talked about among the stable hands."

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:52 am
by Philulhu
OOC:   Jacques’ suddenly looking a lot more rugged… … :lol:  

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:12 pm
by Snapper
Sorry! Brain fade.

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:36 pm
by Mr. Handy
"It shall be done, Mademoiselle," Henri said to Elizabeth. He turned when Jean Luc raised his question. "I cannot say what costumes interest any of the guests. It would spoil the surprise. But they did say in plain hearing of all that, while some of these costumes would be of use in their planned performance of Antigone, they were more likely to use their own costumes in the masquerade tonight."

Leonardo da Vinci bowed to Bey Abdu'l and returned the salute. "It is a pleasure to meet such an illustrious man," he told the translator, who repeated it in Bey Abdu'l's native tongue. "I am no longer the oldest one present, it seems."

"Yes, that should be sufficient time," said Bianca to Jacques. "I look forward to it too."

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:51 pm
by Joajackson

"It so seems, but you remain the most famous, and maybe you shall be the most remembered. I shall not grant greater memory to me in the future, for I am at the end, but you remain at the middle of life, and you might do great more."

A proper exchange of pleasantries and positivism was always appropiate between illustrious men, and so he spoke such to His translator, to be said in french to Leonardo.

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:17 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Looking to Elizabeth, Jean Luc says, " The troupe where more than a little upset at the performance be8ng cancelled, but backed down quite quickly. Wouldn't it be something if they attended the ball and performed the play......."

Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:59 am
by Philulhu
”Do you think the players might employ such subterfuge?” asked Gui, continuing to look at the costumes. ”Surely that would quickly be unmasked?”

He looked around and smiled. ”No pun intended, obviously!”

Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:56 am
by BoyBlunder78
"You never know, it is a play which no-one here has seen and as of this moment only your inquisitor friend has seen the script. They could be acting it out and we might be none the wiser, chalking it upto actors eccentricity."Jean Luc replies as he casually casts his eyes over random costumes.

Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:28 am
by Philulhu
”Forewarned is forearmed, they do say,” said Gui thoughtfully. ”We’ll have to keep an eye out for them, although being in costume, how will we hope to tell people apart?”

Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:34 am
by BoyBlunder78
" Hmmmm, possibly watch out fir flailing arms and flamboyant gestures from the troupe, I'd say listen out for gibberish but giving some of our acquaintances......" responds Jean Luc.

Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:20 pm
by Philulhu
Gui laughed wryly. ”I know what you mean!”

”I think we may well be rewarded if we stop the players trying to sneakily perform their play, so let’s keep an eye out for them, shall we?”

Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:58 pm
by BoyBlunder78
" We shall, might make the ball a bit more interesting...." smiles Jean Luc.

Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:44 am
by Mr. Handy
Leonardo returned the greeting, and the translator relayed it to Bey Abdu'l. "Perhaps," says Leonardo, "but your contribution to history is undeniable. As long as the Safavid Empire stands, your name shall be remembered."

Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:06 am
by Joajackson

"And Alla shall make it forever so, I can say on my honour."

Spoke the old man, a complete believer on the divinity of the cause of the Safavid order.

"Mister Leonardo, I wish for my last days to be driven to rememberance. Of my home I have written much, and so of the east and south, from the sun emperor of the island of Nippon to the markets of Zanzibar, not so much of the west and the frankish plains. Now, a man of such learning and contacts as you, would be a greatly appreciated adjuction to this collection. I would be honoured if you could grant me trough your surely charismatic tales, your memoirs of these lands, my assistant writing it down. The book, including yours and many others tales, shall be sent to the great library of Bagdad."

Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:08 pm
by aine
"It would be helpful to know something of the script so that we can listen out for it." Elizabeth says to Gui and Jean Luc. "I would ask the Illustrious Bey but he is deep in a conversation with Master Leonardo. It may be a long one by the looks of it."

Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:34 pm
by Philulhu
”I have known the Bey for but a short time, but I have already formed an opinion that brevity is not his strongest suite,” said Gui. ”He is likely to talk for some time!”

”Was the manuscript not in Father Ignacio’s possession? He would need to read it in order to share the details with us.”

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:46 am
by Mr. Handy
Ignacio had not accompanied the group to the wardrobe. Apparently he wanted nothing to do with the masquerade.

"I have not been to Nippon," said Leonardo. "My travels have been nowhere near as extensive as yours, but I will gladly tell you what I know. I am very familiar with Milan, having lived there for a long time. I am relatively new to France. Alas, my age makes travel difficult. I would have liked to see the New World, of which I have heard many wondrous things."

Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:00 pm
by aine
Well, now that we have our costumes in order, shall we look for Father Ignacio?" Elizabeth asks Gui and Jean Luc.

Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:10 pm
by Philulhu
”Why not?” quipped Gui. ”It can only make the day go quicker, can it not?”

Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:15 pm
by BoyBlunder78
" True, we find him in the company of the players They weren't too happy about the er...good Lord's interference...." Jean Luc remarks.

Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:33 pm
by Joajackson

"Master Leonardo, in my land this new world to the west is nothing to our minds but wild rumours. Even your second hand would be of great value to the libraries of Bagdad."

Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:58 am
by Mr. Handy
"Of course," said Leonardo. "Well, the New World didn't have any horses until the Spanish brought them. But it does have many other strange beasts from what I hear, and there is talk of plenty of gold and silver."

Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:09 am
by Joajackson

well, I dont think it would be of any value describing an interview of Leonardo about his life in Milan.

"Wild beast so you say? I have heard many tales of the great beasts of the africa from Christians, and they tend to be far wilder that the actual creatures, but also much more mundane, the unicorn's horn is a simple bone, but the animal is twice as wide as a horse and completely scaly grey. I wouldnt be surprised if the creatures from the west are similar in kind. In any case, can we move this conversation to a proper hall? So my servant is able to write on your marvelous tales of Milan."

Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:26 pm
by aine
I think I’d better go, this conversation might get awkward. Elizabeth thinks to herself. I hope no one remembers about the Narnian unicorns.

Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:42 am
by Mr. Handy
"Let us all return to the Great Hall," said Henri, leading the way. "From there, you can get to wherever you'd like to go next."

Everyone is moving to the thread linked below:

Tempus Fugit