IC-Ep 3-Breakfast Time(Elizabeth/Jacques/Gui/Jean Luc/Bey Abdu'l)

1517, Auvergne, France: The Duc d'Auvergne is hosting an elaborate gathering culminating in a masquerade ball in his palace in Vyones, to which he has invited quite a few notable people. Travelers from throughout Europe and North Africa are in attendance to see and be seen. But there are some strange unseen things lurking behind the scenes that may put everyone in danger. Can Story, Elizabeth, Brook, and others attending the party unravel the mysteries and prevent madness from reigning supreme?

This is Classic Doctor Who meets Call of Cthulhu, the sixth of a series of connected adventures set in different eras and locations that includes The Terror Out of Time, The Ninth Planet, The Shadow Over Dunwich, The Brotherhood of Death, and The Horror in the Blackout.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

IC-Ep 3-Breakfast Time(Elizabeth/Jacques/Gui/Jean Luc/Bey Abdu'l)

Post by Mr. Handy »

Duc's Palace, Great Hall - Vyones, Auvergne, France
8:35 AM - Tuesday, April 21, 1517

Jacques arrived in the Great Hall shortly after Elizabeth, Gui, and Jean Luc arrived. While none of the other guests were here, whether due to having eaten earlier, having taken breakfast in their rooms, or having slept in late, there was still plenty of food and drink laid out on the long table. Servants stood ready if there was anything else they wanted. A few minutes later, Henri led Bey Abdu'l and his servant into the hall.

"Water for the Great Bey and his servant!" Henri snapped to one of the servants. "Make sure it isn't cold!"

"Right away!" said the servant, scurrying off, presumably to the kitchen.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Re: IC-Ep 3-Breakfast Time(Elizabeth/Jacques/Gui/Jean Luc/Bey Abdu'l)

Post by Philulhu »

”Talking to your servants like that will almost guarantee that at least some of the ‘water’ will be delivered at body temperature,” Gui said quietly to Jean Luc, as he looked on with a wry smile.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Post by Snapper »

Jacques wandered in, neat and fully dressed for the day, found an apple and idly started throwing it in the air and catching it one-handed.

He nodded politely to the lady present. "Miss Elizabeth, I trust the morning finds you refreshed. Have you and the other ladies of Narnia made further progress on our, ah, mystery?"

"You may be interested to know that Father Ignacio, the Inquisitor, also has grave concerns about this play that is to be presented here. I suggested he discuss this with you and your companions. He could make a very powerful ally." The expression on his face suggested the Father was a 'mixed blessing'.
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 1 year 7 months

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Jean Luc nodded in agreement with Gui, " Most definetly, his refreshment will be a....house specialty"
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

“Good morning, Chevalier. Have you been out riding yet this morning? My companions and I worked late into the night. They are still sleeping so I don’t know what they found out.”
Elizabeth walks next to Jaques to the table.
“I’m afraid Mme. Amelie d’Erlette may be caught up in whatever’s going to happen. Are you sure about the Spanish priest? He’s not going to start locking us all up because of the Automaton or because we are dealing with, er, strange arcane knowledge.”
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Jacques stepped closer to Elizabeth. "No, I slept late myself. I must take that fiend Buttons out soon or he shall be eating stable boys again." He tossed and caught the apple again.

In a much quieter voice he continued, "I should not mention our Master Suit of Armour though, we need not share every secret." (Toss, catch.)

"Otherwise, you need not fear the priest. He searches for secret heretics, that is his vocation. A good Christian has nothing to fear from him. The Inquisition is forbidden from imprisoning and, ah, questioning Christians."

"And as I say, he is quite vexed by this play." (Toss, catch.)

"Mlle Amelie d'Erlette, the Comte's daughter? Surely not, she is a child."

1d%95%

Inquisition Know roll success.  
Last edited by Snapper on Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”He was riding last night…” Gui said quietly to himself, with a knowing smirk.
Joajackson
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Joajackson »

Bey Abdu'l entered the room a little later than the rest, Henri proclaiming his orders for drink. He sat along with his servant, trying to keep away from the Christian group, for he was not attemping to intercede in their private conversation.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

A minute later, the servant returned with two mugs of water. Steam came from them, but they were not too hot to touch, for he had no problem carrying them. He placed them before Bey Abdu'l and his servant.

Feel free to continue to converse and interact.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Jacques noticed the arrival of the ancient, who looked about ready to die over the effort of eating breakfast. Addressing Elizabeth, L'Argot, and Jean Luc together at a much more normal volume, he asked, "More guests? Another Saracen gentleman, I gather?"

Putting the apple aside for equine bribery later, Jacques efficiently found some breakfast to tuck into at the same time.
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

Elizabeth is determined to see the inquisitor in a better light but wonders what he would think of people who revere a giant lion.
She looks around the breakfast dishes and picks out a plate of choice fruits. This she carries over and places it in front of Henri.
“For your master, I hope he slept well.” Then she collects her own breakfast and sits with Jaques, Gui and Jean Luc.
“Have you all got plans for the day? Before the play this evening?”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, Mademoiselle," said Henri, taking the plate of fruit and departing.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Turning towards Jacques ,Jean Luc asks "What concerns could our friendly inquisitor possibly have about this play? No one seems to know anything about it, even the players themselves admit they dont reallyknow how ot is going to turn out, it is quite tye enigma."
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Jacques nodded towards Elizabeth. "Miss Elizabeth knows of this play and has concerns about it."

"As for the Inquisitor," he shrugged, "I'd suggest ask him yourself, if you dare. He believes both the play and the players are blasphemous. Somehow, he obtained a copy of the play last night, as I recall he said."

"For myself, I must take Buttons out to stretch his shanks before he becomes irresponsible." Jacques finished a light breakfast.

Unless events derail him, Jacques' plan is indeed to go for a morning ride.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Gui shrugged. ”He is an inquisitor and such men tend to be zealous. I’m sure he sees blasphemy in all sorts of behaviours that the less pious among us would consider quite normal,” he said, helping himself to breakfast.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

"Excuse me for a moment, Miss Elizabeth, I feel I should introduce myself to the new arrival, I don't wish to be ill mannered."

Jacques stood and made his way to the elderly Bey personage.
"Chevalier Jacques du Baudin, Order of the Knights Hospitaller, at your service," he introduced himself with a slight nod and a polite smile. "I am guessing from your clothes you must have traveled from Africa, The Levant, or the kingdom of the Turks?"
Joajackson
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Joajackson »

Bey Abdu'l the elderly man stood up from his seat and gave a nod, introducing himself in Azeri for his translator to declare properly.

"I am Bey Abdu'l Fadl Benham, leader of Qizilbash, sage of the Safavid order, warrior of the Jihads against the christians of Georgia, general against the Uzbeks, and councelor to the King of Kings. Inform this knight that I am not of the Turks, by name, blood, or land, and my home is Persia."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Ooh, this should go well!” Gui grinned and leaned back in his chair to watch the conversation unfold…
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

"Honoured to make your acquaintance," Jacques replied on training alone, mentally reeling from the list of titles. "Ah, my apologies then that one of my guesses was the Kingdom of the Turks, I meant no offence."

"I have heard of Persia. A land further east of the Levant, I believe. It is oft referred to in the Greek and Roman histories. And is most famous to us from Herodotus' account of the Battle of Thermopylae."

1d%95%(Fp)

Success.  
Joajackson
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Joajackson »

The elderly man kept speaking trough his translator, he had the patience of age for so slow of a method of conversation.

"So ancient history is not of serious relevance to me, still, I remember the victory of Xerxes I, King of Kings, in that battle. A lesson on the importance of numbers, one I consider in this foreign region, for I am one, and you are many. I expect us to not have hostilities, Chevalier du Baudin, and I accept your introduction."

Return to “The Masque of Nyarlathotep”