IC-Ep 3-New Arrival(Gui/Bey Abdu'l)

1517, Auvergne, France: The Duc d'Auvergne is hosting an elaborate gathering culminating in a masquerade ball in his palace in Vyones, to which he has invited quite a few notable people. Travelers from throughout Europe and North Africa are in attendance to see and be seen. But there are some strange unseen things lurking behind the scenes that may put everyone in danger. Can Story, Elizabeth, Brook, and others attending the party unravel the mysteries and prevent madness from reigning supreme?

This is Classic Doctor Who meets Call of Cthulhu, the sixth of a series of connected adventures set in different eras and locations that includes The Terror Out of Time, The Ninth Planet, The Shadow Over Dunwich, The Brotherhood of Death, and The Horror in the Blackout.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

IC-Ep 3-New Arrival(Gui/Bey Abdu'l)

Post by Mr. Handy »

Duc's Palace, Guest Wing Corridor - Vyones, Auvergne, France
8:10 AM - Tuesday, April 21, 1517

"Bey Abdu'l Fadl Benham greets you, Monsieur," said the younger man on whom the ancient visitor was leaning to Gui.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Joajackson
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 1 year 7 months

Re: IC-Ep 3-New Arrival(Gui/Bey Abdu'l)

Post by Joajackson »

Bey Abdu'l Fadl Vengan, a really old and ugly man seemingly at the limit of falling to his tomb, nodded to the bow of the young Gui L'argot. With the niceties declared by his translator, he spoke to his servant again in Azeri.

"Please, indicate to them that I have no desiree to speak with this man, nicely, and that we shall better resolve our belongings and room."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"The Great Bey apologizes," said the servant in French, "but he is exhausted from his long journey and wishes to go to his rooms as soon as possible with his belongings. He has no energy for conversation with this man."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

Gui raised an eyebrow quizzically, somewhat affronted by the way in which he was being spoken to. ”’…conversations with this man’?” he said. ”Is that how you speak to people in your country, in the third person?”

”I merely sought to pass on felicitations of the day, but I find myself dismissed in a most off-hand manner.”
Joajackson
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Joajackson »

The "Great Bey" just observed Henri, he was considerably uninterested on the offended young frenchling. But... After thinking it for a second, he spoke once again to his translator in Azeri.

"He insults my nation, but I very much doubt he has any idea of where it is. If he considers himself of so high class to deserve my attention, he shall demostrate that he knows of my homeland. Ask him to answer that, case contrary, I will refuse to acknowledge his presence."

Bey Abdu'l was a man that carried his nation with him, somewhat literally, as he was from the Qizilbash, literally "Red Turban", clothes that he was still wearing even here in europe. Anyone with some basic knowledge of the safavid empire would have ease identifying it, obviously this would be a strange knowledge for most frenchmen.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"My apologies, Monsieur," said the younger man. "French is not my mother tongue. Do you know from which nation my master hails? If you are truly a man of high class, you will know."

Gui, please roll EDU x 1 to see if you know.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Gui bit down hard on the urge to comment about the youngster’s ‘mother’s tongue’ and studied the older man carefully… …

I presume that’s a Know roll?

Know (50%) 1d100

Edit: Ha! 😎

… … he stroked his chin and thought back to the last time he had seen a man so attired. He recalled an unfortunate incident in a Paris brothel in which a similarly-dressed man had been robbed of his sobriety, dignity, clothes and money. With a smile, he also recalled where the man said from where he originated… ”Sir, you wear the ‘Red Turban’ of the Qizilbash, hailing from the Safavid Empire,” he said, bowing his head to disguise his smug grin.
Joajackson
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Joajackson »

I think he is asking for an extreme know roll, thats why the ×1
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Yes, that's correct. You needed a 10 or less. With that roll, you know that he's from far in the east, but not as far as India or Cathay. If you succeed at a Luck roll, I'll allow you to guess reasonably well (how well depends upon how well you succeed).

Also, both of you please roll Spot Hidden.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Joajackson
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Joajackson »

Spot Hidden (50%)1d100
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Ah, OK. I misunderstood what you meant :oops:

Luck (45%) 1d100
Spot hidden (50%) 1d100

Edit: Samn! Missed luck by 1! Passed my spot hidden, though.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

A Frenchman that Gui recognized as Jean Luc emerged from a doorway into the corridor. "Ahh mon ami!! Bon matin!" he said upon seeing Gui and marched purposefully toward them. " We have an interesting day ahead of us non?"

From behind them in the corridor, everyone saw Elizabeth come out of another doorway. Bey Abdu'l didn't recognize her, but she wasn't French. The young lady had dark hair, her skin was a bit paler, and she was dressed elegantly.

Gui could tell that the men were either Arabian or Persian, but he wasn't sure which. The problem was that either would likely be offended if mistaken for the other.

Everyone is moving to the thread linked below:

The Gathering
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “The Masque of Nyarlathotep”