IC-Ep 3-Knight's Rest(Jacques only)

1517, Auvergne, France: The Duc d'Auvergne is hosting an elaborate gathering culminating in a masquerade ball in his palace in Vyones, to which he has invited quite a few notable people. Travelers from throughout Europe and North Africa are in attendance to see and be seen. But there are some strange unseen things lurking behind the scenes that may put everyone in danger. Can Story, Elizabeth, Brook, and others attending the party unravel the mysteries and prevent madness from reigning supreme?

This is Classic Doctor Who meets Call of Cthulhu, the sixth of a series of connected adventures set in different eras and locations that includes The Terror Out of Time, The Ninth Planet, The Shadow Over Dunwich, The Brotherhood of Death, and The Horror in the Blackout.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

IC-Ep 3-Knight's Rest(Jacques only)

Post by Mr. Handy »

Duc's Palace, Guest Quarters - Vyones, Auvergne, France
9:40 PM - Monday, April 20, 1517

Jacques returned to his guest suite.

Things may still be going on in the other threads, so if you are not doing anything further tonight, there may be some delay before we get to the next day.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Re: IC-Ep 3-Knight's Rest(Jacques only)

Post by Snapper »

Spoiler:
Does Jacques know where the Lady Bianca's room is? Is there some way to get a discreet message to her, inviting her for a late night glass of red? Could such a message be trusted to the servants? Channelling his inner middle-aged Romeo and Juliet.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jacques knew that Bianca's guest chamber was somewhere in this wing of the palace like all the others, but he didn't know exactly which one. He was sure he could summon a servant and ask either for her room's location or to deliver her a message. He knew that servants were often notorious gossips, though. While he could keep a servant from determining the contents of the message undetected with a wax seal, the servant would still know that he had sent her a message and would make the logical assumption as to its contents.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Taking the opportunity to remove the various heavy items he tends to wear, Jacques winds up in a plain white shirt, pants, and sword.

After some internal debate, he sets himself down at a writing table and writes a quick note to Bianca.

"Lady Bianca,

I find myself somewhat restless and unable to relax this evening, and of course my mind turns to your lovely company which has brought me great joy these last two days. Should you be tempted to discussion of the beauty of the countries we have each visited, or any other matter that interests you over a glass of wine, it would be my great honour to host you in my rooms a short while. If you are weary, however, you must disregard this restless old knight of course. Your comfort and happiness are ever my highest priority.

Your servant,

Jacques"

He quickly seals it shut with wax upon which he stamps his signet ring. Then he finds a servant to deliver his missive, tipping them discreetly but well with a half-dozen deniers to keep the matter most secret.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

The servant accepts the sealed note and the payment and departs. A short while later, there is a gentle knock on the door.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Jacques opens the door.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Bianca stood on the other side, looking radiant in a flowing green evening dress, her hair perfectly coiffed. "I could not sleep either, Sir Jacques," she said with a smile. "May I enter?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Jacques graciously indicates for Bianca to enter.

"Madam Bianca, wherever I am, you shall always be welcome and need never ask 'May I' for anything." He pours two glasses of red wine, hands one to Bianca, then raises his own on toast.

"Please, sit and chat without need for formality or to make conversation with people who bore you. If I begin to bore you, kick me in the shin as a signal. I am here your devoted servant whose sole job is to amuse"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Bianca strode into the room and graciously accepted the glass of wine, clinking it with the one held by Jacques. "Thank you. To our generous host," she said before taking a delicate sip and sitting on a chaise longue, her eyes alight. "When my late husband was alive, I was able to have discussions with him when he wasn't away on campaign. When he was gone, though, it did get rather lonely. I doubt you could ever bore me. If you wanted to discuss warfare and military logistics, I would still find the subject fascinating. I actually know a good amount about it. As a condottiero's widow, it goes with the territory."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Jacques looks delighted. "Truly, such wisdom and learning to go with such beauty. You are a most rare of ladies indeed. I myself would always wish for a companion who I could talk at my ease with as an equal, and who could suggest good ideas and actions to me, when we were not otherwise occupied."

Jacques will offer a few general observations about the Duc's defences of the chateaux, inviting comments and thoughts from Bianca.

Spoiler:
Jacques is, of course, hoping to seduce Bianca, in a courtly, Shakespearean kind of way. He is, however, chivalrous to his core and well respects that Bianca might not approve of such activity, or might have her eyes set on richer fish in the ocean, or might have to wash her hair. Jacques will try his luck but will accept polite rejection with absolute good grace.

Happy to have the events boil down to some kind of roll and / or be summarised in a few sentences.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I agree that the chateau could use a moat," said Bianca. "The ground surrounding it is too flat, though at least it has little foliage to conceal an approaching army. While there are no enemies to threaten it today, who knows what tomorrow may bring? The chateau is not completely defenseless, however. Archers in the towers and on the battlements could wreak havoc on a besieging enemy."

Jacques, please roll either Persuade (if you want to use reason) or Status (if you want to impress her with your pedigree and wealth). Fast Talk would be an option, but you're not very good at it. You may also get a bonus.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Jacques nods and offers some observations on his experience with the use of mortars and cannon for castle defence. "Madame Bianca, you would enjoy seeing our defences against the Turk on Rhodes."

1d%60%

In conversation, Jacques attempts to subtly include reference to his pedigree, but perhaps his desire makes him a bit ham-fisted and tongue-tied.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

While Bianca didn't seem to be falling madly in love with Jacques, she seemed to like him well enough and was quite willing.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Spoiler:
Well, that being the case, shall we draw a tasteful veil across the Chevalier's rooms for now? Happy to wait on the other players completing their activities. I suspect Jacques would tell them 'no rush'!

And who says Renaissance era military strategy and tactics is not romantic?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Sure, that's fine. I'll let you know when it's morning.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

The night passed pleasantly, and Jacques was awakened in the morning by a loud knock on his door. Bianca stirred in the bed next to him, no doubt roused by the same sound. Sunlight was streaming through the window, and it looked to be a couple of hours past dawn. They had slept late, as they had been doing things other than sleeping for a while.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

"Don't come in please, I am not decent just now," Jacques called from the bed.

Pausing to grin mischievously at Bianca, he murmured, "I must see to some fine breakfast. Something worthy of a perfect morning."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Then get dressed quickly, Chevalier!" came the voice of Father Ignacio Fernandez. "I must come in. Your soul is in mortal peril!"

Bianca put a hand to her mouth, stifling a gasp.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

"Ah, Father, I am most barbarous, I have not even shaved or washed. Can I perhaps meet with you in a few minutes time? I am embarrassed to have overslept. It is not like me at all. The Duc's wines are stronger than I am used to."

While prevaricating, Jacques quickly kissed the lady's beautiful hand, gazed at her with great and obvious desire, then wrapped her in a blanket and frantically ushered her to the rear of his room.

Knowing of the secret doors elsewhere in the chateaux, and how they worked, he looked for one in the same area in this room.

Jacques went through a few of the secret doors in the previous days, so is relying on something similar being here.

I am currently picturing a scene of sitcom-esque silent panic with overtones of lust.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Bianca quickly snatched up her discarded clothing as she made her way to the back of the room.

"I'm afraid I must insist, Chevalier," said Ignacio. "This is urgent. I am coming in regardless. You have one minute to prepare."

While Jacques had seen secret passages in other rooms before, and he had every reason to believe there was one here, he did not know exactly where it was.

Jacques, please roll Spot Hidden.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “The Masque of Nyarlathotep”