IC-Ep 3-Ladies Night(Story/Elizabeth/Brook)

1517, Auvergne, France: The Duc d'Auvergne is hosting an elaborate gathering culminating in a masquerade ball in his palace in Vyones, to which he has invited quite a few notable people. Travelers from throughout Europe and North Africa are in attendance to see and be seen. But there are some strange unseen things lurking behind the scenes that may put everyone in danger. Can Story, Elizabeth, Brook, and others attending the party unravel the mysteries and prevent madness from reigning supreme?

This is Classic Doctor Who meets Call of Cthulhu, the sixth of a series of connected adventures set in different eras and locations that includes The Terror Out of Time, The Ninth Planet, The Shadow Over Dunwich, The Brotherhood of Death, and The Horror in the Blackout.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

IC-Ep 3-Ladies Night(Story/Elizabeth/Brook)

Post by Mr. Handy »

Duc's Palace, Guest Quarters - Vyones, Auvergne, France
9:40 PM - Monday, April 20, 1517

Story, Elizabeth, and Brook returned to their guest suite, where the TARDIS still stood in the main room.

Feel free to discuss things with each other. Things may still be going on in the other threads, so if you are not doing anything further tonight, there may be some delay before we get to the next day.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Re: IC-Ep 3-Ladies Night(Story/Elizabeth/Brook)

Post by aine »

“Story, can we go into the Tardis for some proper toothpaste and a change of clothes? Also, My hair is full of cobwebs from that dratted passage.” Elizabeth collapses on a bed.
StarSpawn
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 1 year 8 months

Post by StarSpawn »

"You read my mind, Liz darling, well partially anyway..." Story says without breaking stride while crossing the room towards the TARDIS.

Aside from toothpaste, Story is keen to see if the TARDIS databanks have anything on this mysterious play or the keywords surrounding it (that she is aware of or the companions will share : Rex In Flavo, The King in Yellow, Nyarlathotep, Eibon, Atlantis) and possibly anything on this castle or the other folks (Gui, Jacques, etc.)

If needed...
OOC:   History: 12% roll out of 55% skill; Hard success. 1% short of Extreme
Library Use: 81% roll out of 90% skill  
Story plans to activate the camo-shape-change circuits once inside the TARDIS thinking:   "While I'm at it perhaps a better disguise for the TARDIS would be a safe move..."  
Don't make me bare my bodkin! 🐙
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

The chameleon circuit has been malfunctioning since the first adventure, when it took the form of a police box when you landed in 1930 London and got stuck in that form, which is a known flaw with the Type 40 TARDIS. Repairing it would be a long-term project. You each have enough time to make one Library Use roll and still get enough sleep tonight to not take any penalties tomorrow, so Elizabeth may choose a topic and roll, and I can roll for Brook. I'm sure Story showed both of them how to search the TARDIS data banks, and a computer keyboard is as easy for Elizabeth to use as a typewriter. Just choose a topic. I'll presume Story researched The King in Yellow.

Story knew a great deal about the history of Atlantis and its destruction. There were multiple conflicting causes reported for its destruction. The Time Lords' files indicated that it was caused by the interference of the Master and his attempt to control a Chronovore named Kronos, an extremely powerful being that could devour time itself. Yet there were also other factors in its destruction, such as what they had uncovered in their earlier research in the Livre d'Ivon in the Duc's library.

The TARDIS data banks had some information about the play known as The King in Yellow. It was associated with parallel universes and alternate histories. Whatever temporal phenomenon surrounded this play, it also caused those who saw it to each see different things, with the divergence widening as the play progressed. It also caused mass insanity in those who saw it performed, often resulting in violent riots and sometimes the destruction of the theatre.
Spoiler:
You may presume you know anything in The Underwater Menace and The TIme Monster (which I just started rewatching), as well as any legends that actually exist about Atlantis.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Elizabeth follows the others into the TARDIS.
“Thank goodness. Now we can talk without worrying who might be listening. I used to think oak panelling was romantic but I now appreciate the disadvantages.”

Elizabeth researches the people in the castle.
History/library (73%/75%) roll: 20

“Now, who do we think are the ‘Bad guys’ as Brook calls them?”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Well, there's the players," said Brook. "I don't know if they know what they're doing with that play, but they might. We know there's a lady who hired the thief, but we don't know which one. And that priest is pretty creepy too. I wasn't expecting the Spanish Inquisition! But everyone could be a suspect. I''m sure they all have secrets."

There were multiple keyboards on the TARDIS console that allowed all three of them to research the data banks simultaneously.

You'll have to specify which people you want to research. Each person is an individual research topic, though I'll allow a family to be a single topic. You can specify who you're researching and a second topic for Brook, who as an NPC for now will go along with your suggestions. However, Brook's roll failed badly, so she won't find anything.

Brook's Library Use (25% base skill) roll:
d%
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Elizabeth has her suspicions about the family with the young daughter so will try them. I seem to remember them being patrons of the play?

Elizabeth looks up from her keyboard,
“I’m imagining this play is somehow going to cause all sorts of chaos, as it’s done before. Do you think it’s like a mass hypnosis of the audience? And surely the leader of the players must know all about it.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Elizabeth was getting used to computer keyboards, and she found she could type faster than she could on a typewriter, plus it was useful being able to backspace to fix her mistakes.

Elizabeth recalled a lot about the d'Erlette family in general, and she was now able to confirm it in the TARDIS data banks, which also had information from after her time (you now also know everything in the timeline in the above link, even in your future). Regarding the members of the d'Erlette family present at the chateau, history had not recorded much. Lady Amelie apparently never married, and there was no record of either her or her parents after 1517. Had they disappeared? Died? Or were they just not historically significant? There were no scandals regarding them beyond the curse said to be on their family. There was also mention of Lady Amelie's older brother, who was the heir and was not present at the party. The record showed that he later had several children of his own and died in 1565 at a ripe old age. Antoine-Marie Augustin de Montmorency-les-Roches, his great-great-grandson who inherited the title of Comte d'Erlette, would be born in 1635.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

“The d’Erlettes might be involved. There’s no sign of the daughter in history after this time; maybe something happened to her and her parents. And the descendants of her brother were involved in some grisly affairs. Ghouls for one.” Elizabeth shudders.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I still remember meeting them," said Brook. "I'm not likely to forget. I hope nothing happens to Lady Amelie. I quite like her."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

“We’ll it doesn’t bode well.” Elizabeth replies darkly, “There’s nothing about her or her parents after 1517.
Have you found anything?”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I got nothing," said Brook. "What did you find out, Story?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Story, Elizabeth, and Brook slept comfortably in their rooms in the TARDIS. Because of the time spent on research, they slept late, awakening a couple of hours past dawn.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Elizabeth dresses and tiptoes past her sleeping companions and out of the TARDIS. She goes to the window and looks outside. It is already quite late on the morning; far below, a gooseherder drives his flock past and a couple of chevaliers ride their horses on a loose rein as they share a joke.
Elizabeth takes a deep breath as she savours the quiet moment and considers the option of staying in this time.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

The weather was pleasant enough today, and it wasn't as late as Elizabeth had feared. By the position of the sun, it was a little past 8:00 AM.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

It seemed unlikely the others would wake so early. Elizabeth scribbled a quick note, Gone for breakfast. and then let herself quietly out of the room.
She wasn’t particularly hungry so she let her feet take her where they would.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Story and Brook are moving to the thread linked below:

Late Risers

Elizabeth is moving to the thread linked below:

The Gathering
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death