Page 1 of 1

IC-Ep 3-The Play's the Thing(Gui only)

Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:35 am
by Mr. Handy
THE MASQUE OF NYARLATHOTEP
EPISODE 3
Duc's Palace, Guest Quarters - Vyones, Auvergne, France
9:20 PM - Monday, April 20, 1517

"Wait here, Monsieur," said Henri to Gui, approaching the door to the guest suite. "I shall announce you."

Re: IC-Ep 3-The Play's the Thing(Gui only)

Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:24 pm
by Philulhu
”That really won’t be necessary, Monsieur. I have taken enough of your time!” said Gui quickly.

Is tipping staff an acceptable way to get them to bugger off in 16th century France?!

Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:42 am
by Mr. Handy

Most servants would gladly accept a gratuity in return for special service. One franc would probably be enough. You may roll Insight if you wish to determine how you think Henri would react.

Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:18 pm
by Philulhu
Insight (40%) 1d100

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:59 am
by Mr. Handy
Gui couldn't get a handle on Henri.

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:07 am
by Philulhu
Gui fumbled in his purse and pulled out three francs which he thrust at Henri. ”For your trouble, Monsieur,” he said, hoping the man would take the hint and leave.

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:22 am
by Mr. Handy
"Oui, Monsieur!" said Henri with a smile as he made the coins disappear in an instant. "If you ever have need of anything else, you need only ask." He walked briskly away down the hall and soon vanished around a corner.

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:56 pm
by Philulhu
Gui sighed with relief. He thought the man might never leave! He looked around carefully to check there was no one else about then stepped closer to listen at the door, in a casual manner as if loitering but not with an ear to the door in a way that would seem suspicious…

Listen (35%) 1d100

Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:51 am
by Mr. Handy
Gui could hear muffled voices on the other side of the door.

"I can't wait for tomorrow's performance!" exulted Enrico.

"I hope it won't be like the one in Milan," said Veronique.

"Relax, my darling. You know that the play is never the same twice."

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:17 am
by Philulhu
Where’s Gui in relation to da Vinci’s room and the secret passages?

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:37 am
by Mr. Handy

It's a short distance away, around a corner and down a couple of stretches of hall. There are secret passages behind the walls, and there are probably entrances in each room.

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:19 pm
by Philulhu
Lightly, Gui stepped over to an adjoining room and listened carefully at the door.

Listen (35%) 1d100

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:52 pm
by Mr. Handy
Gui went to the next door over, which just happened to be the suite that Story and her companions shared, and listened. All was silent within.

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:32 pm
by Philulhu
He knocked gently and listened carefully, and hearing no response, tried the door to see if it was locked.

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:01 pm
by Mr. Handy
There was no reply, and when Gui opened the door, he saw the darkened suite that the ladies used, currently empty except for their mysterious blue box.

Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:26 pm
by Philulhu
Gui crept in quietly, closing the door silently behind him. He glanced around to make sure there was no one else in the room. He wasn’t, for once, planning to take anything but anyone coming into the room would undoubtedly get the wrong idea!

He gazed curiously at the large blue box as he crossed the room. What was it, anyway? It looked like it had a door, but it was only a couple of metres across so it couldn’t be very big inside.

He paused, studying it some more. It wouldn’t hurt to look inside, would it? He reached out and put his hand on the door, then stopped. What if it were trapped? What if he were found here, and accused of being a thief once more? He’d be thrown out for sure, this time. Frowning, he turned away from the box and went to find the entrance to the secret door into the passageway behind the walls…

Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:50 pm
by Mr. Handy
Gui easily found the hidden catch to open the secret passage, now that he knew for what to look. As he opened it, he heard a jumbled shouting coming from the passage, from the direction of Leonardo's chambers.

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:52 pm
by Philulhu
If he stuck his head out, he’d be spotted because Gui knew all too well that people were drawn to a hue and cry. At the same time, if the playwright and his family were looking outside, then it was as good a time as any to look in their room.

His mind made up, he slipped through into the secret passage. Looking about to make sure no one else was in here, he carefully moved towards the next room to see what he might find.

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:25 am
by Mr. Handy
Gui made his way down the passage to the next room over, which belonged to the players. He could see them through a peephole in the room beyond.

"We had best get ready for bed," said Enrico. "We'll want to rise early to get ready for the performance."

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:43 pm
by Philulhu
Gui frowned. Were they all bedding down? Any decent people would have all left the room and gone to investigate the commotion! Call himself a writer?! He should be out there, experiencing whatever it was making the noise rather than fluffing his pillows and going to sleep!

Gui sighed quietly, and put his eye closer to the peephole, trying to determine whereabouts in the room the family would be bedding down. He might have to go in there among them and didn’t want to be bumping into anyone and waking them up!

Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:05 am
by Mr. Handy
Through the hole, Gui saw the main room of the guest suite. Enrico and Veronique went through a door on the right side of the room. Charles and Giulia each went through separate doors on the left side of the room, leaving the chamber deserted.

Gui, please roll Idea.

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:41 pm
by Philulhu
Idea roll (65%) 1d100

Edit: success! :)

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:50 am
by Mr. Handy
It occurred to Gui that the players may not have heard the distant shouting, which had now stopped. He could only hear it because he was in the passage, which also indicated that perhaps the door from the passage to Leonardo's chamber was open too, and he was only able to hear it at all due to his excellent hearing.

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:22 pm
by Philulhu
On realising that the door to Da Vinci’s room was open, Gui jerked back and checked the passage, lest there be anyone else in there.

Eyes and ears straining, he moved closer to see what was afoot…

He’ll try to sneak closer…

Sneak (45%) 1d100

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:52 am
by Mr. Handy

Gui, please roll Listen.

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:35 am
by Philulhu
Gui paused in the darkness, holding his breath whilst trying to hear what was happening…

Listen (35%) 1d100

Edit: … but Enrico had started to snore so a bull elephant could have walked past playing the trombone and Gui would have been none the wiser…🙄

Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:30 am
by Mr. Handy
As Gui approached the open secret door to Leonardo's chambers, from which candlelight spilled, he could barely hear people talking, but he couldn't tell who was speaking or what they were saying.

Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:58 pm
by Philulhu
Moving very carefully, Gui edged closer, trying to make out who was speaking.

Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:21 pm
by Mr. Handy
It wasn't until Gui got much closer that he could actually make out what the voices were saying.

"Well done, Mademoiselle," said Leonardo. "I knew you had a keen mind."

"Yes, truly, I have always loved puzzles of all sorts..." replied Story, "this one is quite clever, Maestro, as is to be expected."

"Why yes Monsieur," said Jean Luc, "pray do tell how you go about creating such a puzzle?"

“We could leave the box and its contents here now that Story has solved it. I’m sure it would be quite safe in the Master’s chambers,” Elizabeth said.

"Yes, it should be safe here," said Leonardo. "Thank you. Well, the first step was to think of an idea for a puzzle and draft it on paper before I actually start to construct it. Coming up with the idea is the easy part. I have so many ideas, and there isn't time enough to put them all into action."

Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:43 pm
by Philulhu
Was that the box that held the jewel?! Gui listened intently for further information.

Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:53 am
by Mr. Handy
“Why don’t we all go for a walk before it gets too late. I haven’t been out all day,” Elizabeth said. “And I’d love to hear some more of your ideas, Master.”

"Of course," said Leonardo. "A stroll sounds like just the thing."

"I'd be delighted," said Diego.

Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:27 pm
by Philulhu
A walk? That sounded like an excellent idea! And he silently willed them to heed Elizabeth’s suggestion!

Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 5:33 pm
by Mr. Handy
"Not me," said Story. "I never did get anything to eat and I'm famished. I'm going to go see what I can find in the pantry. Anybody want to walk me down?"

"That sounds like a plan," said Jean Luc, "nothing like fearing for your life to rouse the appetite, plus some brandy will work wonders for my nerves, lead on mon chere."

“Let’s go!” said Elizabeth. Footsteps walked noisily out of Leonardo's chambers, and soon all was quiet.

Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:21 pm
by Philulhu
Gui waited a moment more, then carefully peered into the room. Was anyone there? And where was the metal monster?

Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:57 pm
by Mr. Handy
Gui looked around the corner through the open door. The first thing he saw was Jacques, standing at parade rest just six feet away, looking right back at him. The automaton was standing in the room too. It didn't have a weapon in its hand, but somehow that didn't make him feel much better. Nobody else appeared to be present in the room. There was a canvas on the easel with a portrait of Elizabeth in progress. Even in its incomplete state, with the outlines drawn in charcoal and work on the face only just begun, it was of impressive quality. Was Elizabeth really that beautiful? Her eyes seemed to follow him too. Also, the puzzle box rested upon the desk.

Jacques rolled his eyes. "St John preserve us. Be grateful I don't have my throwing dagger in hand, L'Argot," he said.

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:34 am
by Philulhu
Merde! sighed Gui. C’est le pompe à chiasse!

He remained at the threshold. ”What of the metal man? Is he awake?” he asked Jacques.

Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:29 am
by Mr. Handy
"Ah mon ami! You escaped the Spanish inquisition?" said Jean Luc's voice from the hall.

Jacques calls to the hallway: "It's just L'Argot. Come back."

Everyone is moving to the thread linked below:

Secrets