Character Creation/Rules

1517, Auvergne, France: The Duc d'Auvergne is hosting an elaborate gathering culminating in a masquerade ball in his palace in Vyones, to which he has invited quite a few notable people. Travelers from throughout Europe and North Africa are in attendance to see and be seen. But there are some strange unseen things lurking behind the scenes that may put everyone in danger. Can Story, Elizabeth, Brook, and others attending the party unravel the mysteries and prevent madness from reigning supreme?

This is Classic Doctor Who meets Call of Cthulhu, the sixth of a series of connected adventures set in different eras and locations that includes The Terror Out of Time, The Ninth Planet, The Shadow Over Dunwich, The Brotherhood of Death, and The Horror in the Blackout.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Character Creation/Rules

Post by Mr. Handy »

The following rules are for character creation for new characters from 1517 (use the Cthulhu Dark Ages character sheet, modified as detailed below):
  • Roll 3D6 each for STR, CON, POW, DEX, and APP.
  • Roll 2D6+6 each for SIZ and INT.
  • Roll 3D6+3 for EDU.
  • Personal wealth is based upon occupation.
You can use the board's built-in dice roller (the instructions are here), or a different online dice roller such as orokos.com to make your rolls, both for character creation and in the game.

Those are the only rolls you need to make for character creation. You are free to distribute the 3d6 rolls amongst the five stats that are rolled on 3D6, as well as to choose which 2D6+6 roll goes to SIZ and which to INT. EDU can be raised by making your character older. If you're still not satisfied with your rolls, let me know and we'll work something out. If your rolls are abnormally low, I may permit a reroll of the entire set.

You'll also need to decide on your character's age. The minimum age allowed is EDU+6, but you can always choose to make your character older. For every 10 full years above the minimum, you get +1 to your EDU (which also gets you an extra 20 occupational skill points). However, for every full 10 years above 40 (i.e., starting at age 50), you must reduce one of the following stats by 1: STR, CON, DEX, or APP.

Your character has the following derived stats:
Idea: INT x 5
Luck: POW x 5
Know: EDU x 5 (maximum of 99)
Damage Bonus: Calculate STR+SIZ and consult the following table
  • 12 or less: -1D6
  • 13-16: -1D4
  • 17-24: +0
  • 25-32: +1D4
  • 33 or more: +1D6
Maximum Hit Points: (CON+SIZ)/2 (round fractions up)
Maximum Magic Points: POW
Starting Sanity: POW x 5

You get 20 x EDU occupational skill points that can only be used to increase skills for your chosen profession. You also get 10 x INT hobby skill points that can be spent to increase any skills (even the ones for your occupation if you really want). The only skill that cannot be raised is Cthulhu Mythos, which always starts at 0%. The other skills have base levels of 1% or higher, and the points you spend add to those base levels. To see the list of skills and their starting levels, see the list below. It is identical to the standard Dark Ages character sheet (6th edition), but with a few modifications to make it comparable to characters from other eras:
Accounting (10%)
Art (05%)
Bargain (05%)
Climb (40%)
Conceal (15%)
Craft (05%)
Cthulhu Mythos (00%)
Dodge (DEX x 2%)
Drive Horses (20%)
Fast Talk (05%)
First Aid (30%)
Hide (10%)
History (20%)
Insight (05%)
Jump (25%)
Library Use (25%)
Listen (25%)
Medicine (01%)
Natural World (10%)
Navigate (10%)
Occult (05%)
Other Kingdoms (01%)
Other Language (01%)
Own Kingdom (20%)
Own Language (EDU x 5%)
Persuade (15%)
Pilot Boat (01%)
Potions (01%)
Repair/Devise (20%)
Ride Horse (05%)
Science (01%) (subskills include music, astronomy, arithmetic, geometry, theology, canonic law, etc,)
Sneak (10%)
Spot Hidden (25%)
Status (15%)
Swim (25%)
Throw (25%)
Track (10%)

Fist/Punch (50%)
Grapple (25%)
Head Butt (10%)
Kick (25%)

Axe (15%)
Flail (10%)
Knife (25%)
Lance (15%)
Large Club (25%) (includes staff)
Long Sword (20%)
Scimitar (15%)
Short Sword (15%)
Small Club (25%) (includes mace)
Spear (15%)

Ballista (20%)
Bow (10%)
Cannon (15%)
Catapult (10%)
Crossbow (20%)
Hybrid Trebuchet (05%)
Musket (25%)
Pistol (20%)
Sling (01%)
Traction Trebuchet (01%)
  • The base skill for Climb is 40%, and the base skill for Library Use is 25%, as with characters from the more traditional eras. The History skill has likewise been added to the sheet with a base level of 20%.
  • The Insight skill is the equivalent of the Psychology skill, Natural World corresponds to Natural History, Potions replaces Pharmacy , Repair/Devise is Mechanical Repair, and Status replaces Credit Rating.
  • The Own Kingdom skill is for your character's homeland (not necessarily France). Other Kingdom can be taken multiple times, once for each land as a subskill, much like sciences.
  • There aren't separate skills for reading and writing languages. You just need one skill for each language.
  • The weapon skills only need to be listed on your character sheet if you put points in them, other than Knife. This list includes weapons that are not from Dark Ages, such as Pistol, Musket, and Cannon. Such weapons are rare and generally take too long to reload during combat, so you will probably only get to use them once in a given fight, but they can be deadlier than modern equivalents if they hit due to shot being of higher caliber than modern bullets.
Check the "Renaissance Men and Women" thread (when I post it) for possible character concepts and lists of occupational skills. If you have something else in mind, let me know your character concept and I can give you a suitable list of occupational skills. The occupational skills for many professions are also listed in the Cthulhu Dark Ages rulebook, if you have it. Some of these lists allow you to choose one or two of your occupational skills. Just make sure it's within reason for your chosen occupation.

If your native language is not French, it is strongly recommended that you have Other Language: French at least at 25%. This will enable you to communicate with and understand other characters. The TARDIS crew is exempt from this, as the TARDIS's gift allows those who travel in it to understand other languages and to be understood.

Snapper, for your character I'll use the Guard occupational skill list, which is Fist/Punch or Head Butt or Kick or Grapple, Own Kingdom, Sneak, Spot Hidden or Listen, Status, Throw, one weapon skill, and any one other skill as a personal specialty. Your starting money is 1D3 x 100 francs, plus weapons and armor provided by your employer, with an annual income of 1800.

I won't be imposing a cap for starting skills, but you should justify any exceptionally high skills you have in your character background. 75% in a skill means that you're an expert. 90% means that you're one of the best in the world. Spend all your skill points during character creation, as they're of no use once the game is underway.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Re: Character Creation/Rules

Post by Snapper »

Player: Snapper
Name: Chevalier Jacques du Baudin
Sex: M
Current Residence:
Birthplace:  Paris
Home Era: 1517

Characteristics:
STR: 13
CON: 11
SIZ: 12
DEX: 12
APP: 10
INT:  12 (Idea - 60%)
POW:  10 (Luck - 50%)
EDU:  19 (Know - 95%)

Sanity:  50%
Phobias/Mental Disorders: None
Maximum Sanity:  99%
Hit Points:  12
Magic Points:  10
Damage Bonus:  +1d4
Income and Wealth: 120 francs, 1800 francs/year income.

Background:
Jacques is a lean man of regular height, with a neatly trimmed black beard. His face is marred by a number of scars.

Jacques is the younger son of a well-to-do country family and was provided proper training as a man at arms from early years on. He has spent many years serving various French lords on campaign. More recently he served with the Knights Hospitaller from its base on the Greek island of Rhodes, before being granted leave by the Church to return to Paris. Jacques is content to serve as a guard captain while enjoying the delights of the Capital.

Skills: (Non-default skills BOLD, Professional Skills ITALICS, Hobbies preceded by a DOT. Checked skills followed by a *)

Accounting (10%)
Art (05%)
Bargain (05%)
.Climb (40%) 50%
Conceal (15%)
Craft (05%)
Cthulhu Mythos (00%)
.Dodge (DEX x 2%) (24%) 40%
Drive Horses (20%)
Fast Talk (05%)
First Aid (30%)
Hide (10%)
History (20%)
Insight (05%) 75%
.Jump (25%) 40%
Library Use (25%)
Listen (25%)
Medicine (01%)
Natural World (10%)
Navigate (10%)
Occult (05%)
Other Kingdoms (01%)
.Other Language - Latin (01%) 10%
Own Kingdom (20%) 50%
Own Language (EDU x 5%) (95%)
.Persuade (15%) 50%
Pilot Boat (01%)
Potions (01%)
Repair/Devise (20%)
.Ride Horse (05%) 40%
Science (01%) (subskills include music, astronomy, arithmetic, geometry, theology, canonic law, etc,)
Sneak (10%) 40%
Spot Hidden (25%) 75%

Status (15%) 60%
Swim (25%)
Throw (25%) 75%
Track (10%)

Fist/Punch (50%)
Grapple (25%) 75%
Head Butt (10%)
Kick (25%)

Axe (15%)
Flail (10%)
Knife (25%)
Lance (15%)
Long Sword (20%) 75%
Scimitar (15%)
Short Sword (15%)
Spear (15%)

Ballista (20%)
Bow (10%)
Cannon (15%)
Catapult (10%)
Crossbow (20%)
Hybrid Trebuchet (05%)
Musket (25%)
Pistol (20%)
Sling (01%)
Traction Trebuchet (01%)

Equipment:
Long sword
2 daggers
16th century cuirass armour and helmet (7 protection)
Regular attire
Formal attire
Warhorse
Last edited by Snapper on Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:51 am, edited 5 times in total.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

Player: Philulhu
Name: Gui l’Argot
Sex: Male
Current Residence: Paris, France
Colleges, Degrees: N/A
Birthplace: Paris, France
Home Era: 17th Century France
Current Incarnation: N/A

STR:8
CON: 10
DEX: 13
APP: 14
SIZ: 10

INT: 13 (Idea - 65)
POW: 9 (Luck - 45)
EDU: 10 (Know - 50)

Sanity: 45
Phobias/Mental Disorders: None
Maximum Sanity: 99
Hit Points: 10
Magic Points: 9
Damage Bonus: +0

Background: Gui is a 25 year old gentleman thief, burglar, pickpocket and occasional gigolo. The youngest son of an impoverished merchant, he eschews working for living in favour of letting other people work and then helping himself to the fruits of their labours.

He is nearly always fashionably dressed, although many of his clothes are illegitimately acquired and a careful eye will determine that they have been taken in to fit his slight frame. He lives with Magritte, who is a deft seamstress as well being his younger sister, in a small shared room near Montmartre, but dreams of grander things.

Gui stands 5’7” and is of slender build. He has close-cropped brown hair, over which he will often wear a wig. He is handsome, albeit with a slightly crooked nose, the result of a childhood accident. He is charming and urbane, although he still has a few rough edges that he has yet to smooth away. He carries a knife and a blackjack for protection but will try to avoid violence if possible.

Skills: (Non-default skills BOLD, Professional Skills ITALICS, Hobbies preceded by a DOT. Checked skills followed by a *)

Skills Base Occ. Skill (180) Hobby Skill (130)
Accounting (10%)
Art (05%)
Bargain (05%)
Climb (40%)
Conceal (15%): 40%
Craft - Locksmith (05%): 50%
Cthulhu Mythos (00%)
.Dodge (DEX x 2 - 26%): 36%
Drive Horses (20%)
Fast Talk (05%): 55%
First Aid (30%)
.Hide (10%): 45%
History (20%)
.Insight (05%): 40%
Jump (25%)
Library Use (25%)
.Listen (25%) 35%
Medicine (01%)
Natural World (10%)
Navigate (10%)
Occult (05%)
Other Kingdoms (01%)
Other Language (01%)
.Own Kingdom (20%): 55%
.Own Language (EDU x 10%) : 65%

Persuade (15%)
Pilot Boat (01%)
Potions (01%)
Repair/Devise (20%)
Ride Horse (05%)
Science (01%) (subskills include music, astronomy, arithmetic, geometry, theology, canonic law, etc,) 0
.Sneak (10%): 45%
.Spot Hidden (25%): 50%
.Status (15%): 25%
Swim (25%)
Throw (25%)
Track (10%)

Fist/Punch (50%)
Grapple (25%)
Head Butt (10%)
Kick (25%)

Knife (25%)
Blackjack (40%)

Equipment:
Roll of lockpicks
Elegant clothing & wigs
“Working” clothes (dark clothes, beret)
Knife [1D4 damage]
Blackjack [1d8 damage]

Starting money: 150 Francs
Savings: 1,800 Francs
Last edited by Philulhu on Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jacques is great! The character sheet is ready to be posted, and I should be able to take care of that by this weekend. Your weapons and armor are provided by the Knights Hospitaller, so you don't need to spend money on them. The clothing costs you a total of 180 francs, which leaves you 120 in cash. Your armor will have the same stats as plate mail, which gives a solid protection of 7 points all around. It's better than chain mail, which is less effective against certain types of weapons. It's also more expensive, so having this occupation is the only way you can afford it at the start. You can give yourself a warhorse too.

For Gui, I just need you to spend 20 additional skill points (you forgot to give yourself the +20 occupational skill points for raising your EDU to 10 through age, but you've spent enough hobby points in your occupational skills that you can count the 20 points as hobby points and spend them on any skill(s)) and roll for your starting cash of (1D4+1) x 50 francs. If you want more than that, you'll have to steal it. ;) The age section wasn't updated from 24 to 25, but I can take care of that myself. Own Language is EDU x 5%, but you've calculated your skill level correctly. You don't need to edit the character sheet posted above. You can just post the changes below, and I'll put it all together.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

Argh! I’ve even run the points through a spreadsheet to try to keep them right and I’m still off somehow! :x

I’ve added my 20 points into Conceal (+10%), Sneak (+5%) & Status (+5%). I’ve amended my post.

Anyway, Gui’s cash: 1d4

So, 150 Francs.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Actually, that's 200 francs, as you get (1D4+1) x 50. That's enough to cover your equipment list and still leave you some change. I'll work out the exact cost when I post your finalized character sheet, probably this weekend.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Character sheets have been posted.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Borderline
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 3 months

Post by Borderline »

3d6
3d6
3d6
3d6
3d6

2d6+6
2d6+6

3d6+3
Borderline
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Borderline »

Player: Borderline
Name: Jean Luc de Monet
Sex: Male
Current Residence: Paris, France
Colleges, Degrees: unknown
Birthplace: Giverny, France
Home Era: 17th Century France
Current Incarnation: N/A
f3b6fc52c5f7536fe7b8d1a5de8b6ad1.jpg
Wasted potential artist who uses his skills to make forgeries. Skinny-fat 50 y/o with salt and pepper jet black hair and devilish gotee. Alcoholic opium using womanizer with quick tongue and questionable morals. Carries a pistol and sword cane. Skilled liar and expert shmoozer, he has more easy breaks and sway with people than anyone with his shortcomings deserves. Well traveled speaking spanish and mandarin his skills could help make the world a better place if he wasn't so self centered and stubborn.

STR:9
CON: 8
DEX: 11
APP: 10
SIZ: 11

INT: 14 (Idea - 70)
POW: 9 (Luck - 45)
EDU: 15 (Know - 75)

Sanity: 45
Hit Points: 10
Magic Points: 9

Accounting (10%)
Art (35%)
Bargain (05%)
Climb (40%)
Conceal (15%)
Craft (55%)
Cthulhu Mythos (00%)
Dodge (DEX x 42%)
Drive Horses (20%)
Fast Talk (05%)
First Aid (30%)
Hide (10%)
History (60%)
Insight (45%)
Jump (35%)
Library Use (75%)
Listen (25%)
Medicine (01%)
Natural World (10%)
Navigate (10%)
Occult (05%)
Other Kingdoms (01%)
Other Language (mandarin 11%)
Other Language (spanish 11%)
Own Kingdom (40%)
Own Language (EDU x 5%)
Persuade (40%)
Pilot Boat (01%)
Potions (01%)
Repair/Devise (20%)
Ride Horse (05%)
Science (16%) (subskills include music, astronomy, arithmetic, geometry, theology, canonic law, etc,)
Sneak (10%)
Spot Hidden (75%)
Status (15%)
Swim (25%)
Throw (25%)
Track (10%)

Fist/Punch (50%)
Grapple (25%)
Head Butt (10%)
Kick (25%)
Short Sword (50%)
Pistol (35%)
4aa454f200f9c1045981c8db6faff57f.jpg
Equipment

Fire kit
Sword cane
Flintlock pistol
Pipe
Flask
Sketch book
Brushes
Periscope
Pocket watch
image (1).jpeg
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Looks great! There are just a few changes you need to make, and then you'll be ready to go. You've underspent by 20 hobby points (I'm presuming Persuade is your eighth occupational skill), which means you can add 20 skill points to any skill or skills you wish. I'd recommend adding at least some to Status. Also, the skills Art, Craft, and Science require you to select a subskill toward which they apply. For Craft, you can take Forgery, which would make you pretty good at it. Art should be the type of art you specialize in forging (such as painting). You won't be so great at making original works, but Craft(Forgery) will enable you to make decent copies. I've already listed several sciences in the character sheet. For wealth, please roll 1D4+1 and multiply that with 50 to see how many francs you have to start. I'll figure out how much your equipment costs and how much (if any) you have left over.

There's no need to edit your character sheet above. Please just list your changes in a new post in this thread. I'll compile the character sheet and put in the Character Sheets thread once that's done. I plan to start a new thread tonight with all the characters in it, including yours. You may post in it as soon as it's up and you're ready.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Borderline
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Borderline »

Thanks that's exactly how I pictured him, not great at original work but good at forgeries. Yes Persuade is my final occupational skill.

Art (painting)(35%)
Craft (forgery)(55%)
Science (anatomy)(16%)
Status (25%)
Dodge (DEX x 52%)

5×50=250
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I've added your completed character sheet to the Character Sheets thread. It's a good thing you rolled the maximum for wealth, or you wouldn't have been able to afford everything on your list (the sword was the single most expensive item). You have a matchlock pistol instead of a flintlock due to the fact that flintlocks haven't quite been invented yet. While you can hold it in one hand, note that it is really a two-handed weapon if you want to fire it, unless you want a broken wrist.

You may post in the In Character thread, The Duc's Court, whenever you are ready. Have fun!
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Joajackson
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 1 year 7 months

Post by Joajackson »

Player: Joajackson
Name: Bey Abdu'l Fadl Behnam
Sex: Male
Current Residence: N/A
Colleges, Degrees: Mustansiriya Madrasah, Islamic Law
Birthplace: Bagdad, Iran
Home Era: 15th-16th Century Iran
Current Incarnation: N/A

STR: 8
CON: 10
DEX: 7
APP: 4
SIZ: 14

INT: 15 (Idea - 75)
POW: 14 (Luck - 70)
EDU: 16 (Know - 80)

Sanity: 70
Hit Points: 12
Magic Points: 14

Background:
Bey Abdu'l Fadl Behnam, elderly member of the order of the Safavids and learned Shīʿia of the Qizilbash, has left his prime. Decades ago he was a mildly relevant figure in the politics or Persia, advisor of some learned men that participated of the creation of the Safavid Empire, but now, nearing a century of age, he has been forced to total retirement.

Almost with a feet on the tomb, the very old noble has decided to see the world, and more specifically Christendom, for many tales were told of the Men of the Book of the west, and he had already seen many places to the south and east before. Surprisingly healthy and with a working mind, he is almost racing to do everything he can before his days catch to him. Inshallah.

For clarification, the Qizilbash were an Azerbaijani religious political movement with disproportionate membership in the order of the Safavids(that created the Safavid empire in Persia after 1501), a religious group similar to monks that became more militantly active during the end of the 15th century, both Shia muslim groups. This, while interestingly sounding names, are no special positions, and no different than, for a christian equivalent, being a militant utraquist hussite.

Also, Bey is a nobility title of variable meaning in muslim nations, with a general equivalency to Sir or Lord in christian nations.

Skills:

Skills Base Occ. Skill (320) Hobby Skill (150)
Accounting (10%)
Art (05%)
Bargain (05%)
Climb (40%)
Conceal (15%)
Craft (05%)
Cthulhu Mythos (00%)
Dodge (DEX x 2%)+(25%)=39%
Drive Horses (20%)
Fast Talk (05%)
First Aid (30%)
Hide (10%)
History (20%)
Insight (05%)+(32%)=37%
Jump (25%)
Library Use (25%)+(25%)=50%
Listen (25%)+(25%)=50%
Medicine (01%)
Natural World (10%)
Navigate (10%)
Occult (05%)
Other Kingdoms (01%)
Other Language (01%)
Other Languages French (01%)+(24%)=25%
Other Languages Arabic (01%)+(24%)=25%
Other Languages Persian(01%)+(76%)=77%
Own Kingdom (20%)+(50%)=70%
Own Language (EDU x 5%)(Azerí)=80%
Persuade (15%)+(55%)=70%
Pilot Boat (01%)
Potions (01%)
Repair/Devise (20%)
Ride Horse (05%)
Science Islamic Law (01%)+(89%)=90%
Sneak (10%)
Spot Hidden (25%)+(25%)=50%
Status (15%)+(65%)=80%
Swim (25%)
Throw (25%)
Track (10%)

Fist/Punch (50%)
Grapple (25%)
Head Butt (10%)
Kick (25%)

Axe (15%)
Flail (10%)
Knife (25%)
Lance (15%)
Long Sword (20%)+(30%)+(25%)=75%
Scimitar (15%)
Short Sword (15%)
Spear (15%)

Ballista (20%)
Bow (10%)
Cannon (15%)
Catapult (10%)
Crossbow (20%)
Hybrid Trebuchet (05%)
Musket (25%)
Pistol (20%)
Sling (01%)
Traction Trebuchet (01%)

Equipment
Personal medic assistant
Traveling guide of the mediterranian of doubtfull relevancy and accuracy
Book on the heraldry of french families, in french
French dictionary
High class persian clothes and turban×2
Walking cane
Ceremonial wooden long sword
Writing tools
Filled travel diary with notes of a recent mediterranean travel
Unfilled travel diary with incomplete notes on recent and continous travel in occitania

Money: 350 francs, plus horse, long sword, and chainmail. Annual Income: 9000 francs.
Last edited by Joajackson on Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:26 am, edited 8 times in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Welcome aboard! Your character looks great so far! Everything on your equipment list looks fine, and with your wealth it should be no problem, except perhaps for the clothes. Once we see how much money you have, I'll see how many outfits you can afford. Here's the occupation skill list for Noble, though you may alternatively use the Cleric or Scholar occupation template if you wish, substituting Arabic for Latin:

Skills: Insight, Other Language, Own Kingdom, Ride Horse, Status, and three other skills as personal specialties. You may trade one of them for 100 points to be spent on languages.
Money: (1D4 + 6) x 50 francs, plus horse, long sword, and chainmail. Annual Income: 9000 francs.

You may finish creating your character whenever you have time. You'll want to have at least a halfway decent score in Other Language: French (25%).
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Joajackson
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Joajackson »

Mr. Handy wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:46 pm Welcome aboard! Your character looks great so far! Everything on your equipment list looks fine, and with your wealth it should be no problem, except perhaps for the clothes. Once we see how much money you have, I'll see how many outfits you can afford. Here's the occupation skill list for Noble, though you may alternatively use the Cleric or Scholar occupation template if you wish, substituting Arabic for Latin:

Skills: Insight, Other Language, Own Kingdom, Ride Horse, Status, and three other skills as personal specialties. You may trade one of them for 100 points to be spent on languages.
Money: (1D4 + 6) x 50 francs, plus horse, long sword, and chainmail. Annual Income: 9000 francs.

You may finish creating your character whenever you have time. You'll want to have at least a halfway decent score in Other Language: French (25%).
I think I finished all the math alright.
One thing, its posible to change the long sword to francs or to some other item? I dont think a retired old noble doing tourism would bring a real sword with him, and a ceremonial wooden sword as a symbol of rank seems better.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

The only problem I see on the skill list is that you've listed Inisght as 05% + 32% = 67%, when it actually only winds up as 37%. If you really wanted 67% in Insight, you can reduce your other skills by a total of 30 points. Otherwise, everything else adds up, assuming you exchanged one occupational skill slot for 100 points of languages. Which other skills did you use as occupational skills? Were they Persuade and Science(Islamic Law)?

The ceremonial wooden sword can be your replacement for the long sword. I'm presuming it's bejeweled and of extremely high quality. If you did end up in a fight, it would function the same as a regular long sword for rules purposes. You'd be surprised how much damage a well-made wooden sword can do. If your character ever made it as far as Japan in his travels, he might have seen it for himself.

You rolled low for money, so you can only afford two high class outfits, which will cost 150 francs each. The rest of your equipment should be covered by the remaining 50, and you'll have some change left over. I'll have to work out exactly how much that is after your character sheet is finished.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Joajackson
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Joajackson »

Mr. Handy wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:57 am The only problem I see on the skill list is that you've listed Inisght as 05% + 32% = 67%, when it actually only winds up as 37%. If you really wanted 67% in Insight, you can reduce your other skills by a total of 30 points. Otherwise, everything else adds up, assuming you exchanged one occupational skill slot for 100 points of languages. Which other skills did you use as occupational skills? Were they Persuade and Science(Islamic Law)?

The ceremonial wooden sword can be your replacement for the long sword. I'm presuming it's bejeweled and of extremely high quality. If you did end up in a fight, it would function the same as a regular long sword for rules purposes. You'd be surprised how much damage a well-made wooden sword can do. If your character ever made it as far as Japan in his travels, he might have seen it for himself.

You rolled low for money, so you can only afford two high class outfits, which will cost 150 francs each. The rest of your equipment should be covered by the remaining 50, and you'll have some change left over. I'll have to work out exactly how much that is after your character sheet is finished.
Yes, it seems that I did write insight wrong. 37 was the intended value, 67 was a typo.

And I will admit, I kinda lost track which were for what. The amount is right, 570 points, from 320+100 in languages+150 in hobby.
I know that all those marked with this I initially though should be for hobby, and all with this would be occupation ones.
But I am sure at the end I didnt keep it that perfectly organized.
But persuade being an occupation skill for 30 points, and 25 from hobby keeps all the math right, so I will go with that.

And yes, Islamic Law was an occupation skill, he even has Degree for it, to explain that 90%, from an actual university of the era, the Mustansiriya Madrasah in Bagdad.
I like having characters massive experts in absolutely never useful skills.

I will edit the clothes number and that typo.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Thanks, I'll post your completed character sheet when I have time, probably tomorrow.

It looks like Long Sword is an occupational skill rather than Persuade, as I can see you've added two numbers to the base skill (one for occupational skill points, one for hobby points), the numbers add up to the same amount, and it's italicized while Persuade is underlined. Ride Horse is also an occupational skill, you just didn't put any points in it.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Joajackson
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Joajackson »

Mr. Handy wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:21 am Thanks, I'll post your completed character sheet when I have time, probably tomorrow.

It looks like Long Sword is an occupational skill rather than Persuade, as I can see you've added two numbers to the base skill (one for occupational skill points, one for hobby points), the numbers add up to the same amount, and it's italicized while Persuade is underlined. Ride Horse is also an occupational skill, you just didn't put any points in it.
Yes, the math works also that way.
And I didnt put any points in Ride Horse, I just didnt thought it was needed
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

It's not needed, as such. Just don't expect to be able to ride a horse well if you try it. ;)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “The Masque of Nyarlathotep”