Page 1 of 1

The Zero Room - OOC Chat Thread

Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:08 am
by Mr. Handy
The Zero Room is a room in the TARDIS that is cut off from the rest of the universe, where you can come to relax and chat. All Out of Character discussion, whether game-related or not, can take place here.

Re: The Zero Room - OOC Chat Thread

Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:46 pm
by SunlessNick
Hreeee-hru... Hreeee-hru... Hreeee-hru... Hreeee-hru... Hreeee-hru... Thwm.

Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:18 pm
by Mr. Handy
Welcome! I have a link to an audio file with that sound.

Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:59 am
by Snapper
Hi there Mr Handy and team. I'm looking forward to being in one of Mr Handy's epic Dr Who adventures from word go, and creating my own character for it.

As a massive Musketeers fan, and a fan of the En Garde! RPG, I would be quite keen to play something rather Musketeer-esque. Albeit the version from 150 years earlier even than the normal setting.

Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:57 pm
by aine
Hi, gang. I’m also looking forward to playing and picking up Elizabeth’s character from Yockentwaite.
I’m afraid I have no knowledge at all of this era other than Dumas and Hollywood’s musketeers and the English civil war and a bit of a fire and a plague.

Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:36 pm
by Mr. Handy
Welcome, both of you! A musketeer-type would be awesome!

I have little knowledge of the era myself, and I've been learning as I go. I found out a lot about the period from the research I did putting the timeline together. There were only two events I had previously known about from 1517 (the taking of Jerusalem by the Ottoman empire and the start of the Reformation). The exact date of the former wasn't listed, but it presumably happened when the Ottomans conquered the Mamluks, and the latter takes place (October 31st) later in the year than this adventure. The things you mentioned are more 17th century than 16th, but you don't need any prior knowledge of the era. Rest assured that I'll let the players know what they need to know. Elizabeth's high History skill will no doubt prove very useful.

Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:43 am
by Snapper
My knowledge of the 16th Century is mostly going to be based on innumerable War of the Roses / Tudor themed tv shows. "Wolf Hall" is easily my favourite of those. Wrong country, of course, but right technology level.

Not a lot of guns in 1517.

And Machiavelli wrote "The Prince" in 1513! I have the Penguin miniature edition in my bookshelf. Continuing the ominous vein of Wolf Hall...

Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:21 am
by Mr. Handy
That's right! I remember seeing that about The Prince when I was researching the timeline. Firearms are rare in 1517, and they're basically one-shot weapons. There's probably not enough time during a combat to reload, because it will usually be over one way or another before you finish. However, early firearms had high caliber shot, so they'll be deadlier than more modern weapons. Just don't miss.

While it's set in France, there may be English characters visiting. Brook is one, though she's from 2010.

Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:19 pm
by aine
Mr H,
Please could you add this photo to Elizabeth's character sheet?

[img]https://i.ibb.co/3fR3Dzk/Elizabeth.jpg[/img

(Ive left the square bracket off the code end; sorry I didn't know how else to share it)

Maybe it should be Doctor Who meets Charlie's Angels :)

Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:43 pm
by Mr. Handy
Nice! I've added the picture to the character sheet. You can put code in your posts without it processing in the posts by using the code (or </>) tags. For example:

Code: Select all

[img]https://i.ibb.co/3fR3Dzk/Elizabeth.jpg[/img]
I've also noticed that there's an all-female TARDIS crew. I have no plans for a 1970s adventure any time soon, but who knows what the future will hold?

Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:12 am
by Philulhu
What other careers are available to choose from?

Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:40 am
by Mr. Handy
The only real limit is your imagination. Just let me know what sort of character you'd like to play, and I'll come up with an occupational skill list. The list I've been posting in the other thread was incomplete, but I added the rest of the occupations (taken from the Dark Ages book) tonight. The complete list is not exhaustive, as for example it doesn't really have artists, nobles, knights (though the Free Warrior template could be used for that), or thieves, which are perfectly legitimate to play.

Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:52 am
by Philulhu
In which case, I will play a l’argot - a gentleman thief, pickpocket and housebreaker (and gigolo, if times are hard…)

Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:12 am
by Snapper
Philulhu wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:52 am In which case, I will play a l’argot - a gentleman thief, pickpocket and housebreaker (and gigolo, if times are hard…)
Perhaps I'm doing it wrong but I cannot help thinking that gigolo would be the most preferable of the above choices.

(Although, a certain episode of Blackadder comes to mind...)

Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:52 pm
by Philulhu
I thought that skills like picking locks and picking pockets would be more useful than ‘Drop pantaloons to ankles’ to 65%… ;)

Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:09 pm
by jp1885
Useful, yes; but not as entertaining!

Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:10 pm
by Philulhu
Rolls for my character:

Roll 3D6 each for STR, CON, POW, DEX, and APP - 3d6, 3d6, 3d6, 3d6, 3d6
Roll 2D6+6 each for SIZ and INT - 2d6+6, 2d6+6
Roll 3D6+3 for EDU - 3d6

Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:13 pm
by Philulhu
jp1885 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:09 pm Useful, yes; but not as entertaining!
I thought about using this as a character portrait.

Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:28 pm
by jp1885
That’s be fun, though as a history buff it’s be remiss of me if I didn’t point out that you’d be approximately 200+ years out! :p

Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:31 pm
by jp1885
Perhaps…

Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:41 pm
by Philulhu
Alas, also the wrong period of history… ;)

Shame, because this would be most inspirational…

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0526725/qu ... =tt_trv_qu

Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:53 am
by Mr. Handy
Heh, heh! I'm a big Blackadder fan too.

The rolls are a little below average overall, but you have a few good scores, and there's nothing abysmal.

The occupational skills for a gentleman thief are: Conceal, Craft(Locksmith), Fast Talk, Hide, Insight, Sneak, Spot Hidden, and one other skill as a personal specialty. Your character will fit in nicely, and I'm sure there will be some nice things to steal. Some of it won't even be cursed. ;)

Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:07 am
by SunlessNick
Mr. Handy wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:43 pm I've also noticed that there's an all-female TARDIS crew.
And once who's temporarily insane ... (it's only just occurred to me we don't have a scared emoticon!).

Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:14 am
by Snapper
Stat rolls:

3d6

3d6

3d6

3d6

3d6

2d6+6

2d6+6

3d6+3

1d6HLdF

Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:18 am
by Snapper
That's ok, fairly average on the whole. I can work with that!

Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:52 am
by Mr. Handy
SunlessNick wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:07 am
Mr. Handy wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:43 pm I've also noticed that there's an all-female TARDIS crew.
And once who's temporarily insane ... (it's only just occurred to me we don't have a scared emoticon!).
Will this do? :shock:
Snapper wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:18 am That's ok, fairly average on the whole. I can work with that!
A little above average in fact, with no stats below 10. That 17 EDU to start with is pretty sweet, and the money isn't bad either.

Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:40 am
by Philulhu
Mr. Handy wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:53 am Heh, heh! I'm a big Blackadder fan too.

The rolls are a little below average overall, but you have a few good scores, and there's nothing abysmal.

The occupational skills for a gentleman thief are: Conceal, Craft(Locksmith), Fast Talk, Hide, Insight, Sneak, Spot Hidden, and one other skill as a personal specialty. Your character will fit in nicely, and I'm sure there will be some nice things to steal. Some of it won't even be cursed. ;)
Thanks… :cry:

What about Status, Money & Income?

Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:12 am
by Mr. Handy
Status is treated like any other skill. It starts at 15%, and you're free to spend hobby points (or occupational skill points if you want to choose it as your specialty skill) to raise it as high as you like. I've heard that the new edition of Dark Ages has Status ranges for occupations like 7th edition does, but the version I'm using doesn't have that.

I'm sorry I forgot money and income. You can have (1D4 + 1) x 50 francs, with a yearly income of 1800 francs.

Feel free to construct your characters in the Character Creation/Rules threads. I'll review them and post them in the Character Sheets thread when they're complete. You can include an equipment wish list. I'll determine the costs for everything, let you know the prices, and deduct it from your starting money. If you overspend, you'll need to pare down the list.

Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:49 am
by Snapper
OK Mr Handy, Jacques du Baudin is ready to be checked.

I have no idea how Status equates but with Status 60, can Jacques maybe hope to claim a title like "Chevallier" or "Capitan" or some such?

Also, consider the "Background" entirely changeable, I was taking a stab at the setting but you might have certain requirements etc.

Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:57 am
by Mr. Handy
Status 60% is good for a prominent knight, so Jacques can have a title like that. The background is good too. The adventure is set in the city of Vyones in Auvergne, a province in south central France. Jacques would probably have taken a ship from Rhodes to Marseilles and journeyed inland, stopping off at Vyones on the way back to Paris and staying there for the celebration.

Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:37 am
by Snapper
Perfect! Sounds good to me!

Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:31 am
by Mr. Handy
The introduction thread is now up, which everyone is free to read. I'll be starting the in character threads for the players one at a time. I'll start with the TARDIS crew, as the regeneration scene needs to take place. I'll start the 1517 characters in their own threads later. When you see your thread, feel free to read and post in it. Please don't read the threads that don't have your character in them. After the adventure concludes, you can go back and read all of the threads, including secret details in spoiler buttons with the characters' names on them, which only their players are allowed to read.

Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:51 am
by Snapper
👍

Can't wait!

Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:15 am
by Snapper
Mr Handy, did you post somewhere that these are all based on the styles of the different incarnations of The Doctor?

I wonder then, if it's not a spoiler, what Doctor this adventure might be inspired by?

I recall a 4th Doctor and (ever lovely) Sarah Jane adventure called the Mask of Mandragira or something very similar. Set in a similar time period too. I don't think I've watched it in 30 years, mind.

Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:06 am
by Mr. Handy
Yes, I have mentioned that before, and well spotted! You're correct, The Masque of Mandragora is one of the inspirations for this adventure. That one was indeed set in early Renaissance Italy, I believe in 1492.

The other adventures' inspirations are:
  • The Terror Out of Time: This one's also heavily Fourth Doctor influenced, though it owes more to The Pyramids of Mars.
  • The Ninth Planet: This one's inspired by Second Doctor "base under siege" stories, though the First Doctor's final adventure The Tenth Planet fits the same formula, and its name is very close. I also borrowed from it for the regeneration in this campaign. This scenario also references The Enemy of the World, a Second Doctor story.
  • The Shadow Over Dunwich: This adventure is inspired by Third Doctor UNIT adventures, most notably The Sea Devils.
  • The Brotherhood of Death: This scenario is inspired by First Doctor historical stories, particularly The Romans.
  • The Horror in the Blackout: This one owes something to Seventh Doctor stories, particularly The Curse of Fenric

Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:55 am
by Snapper
Excellent!!

Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:35 pm
by SunlessNick
Cool. And I like the Masque of Mandragora.

Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:05 am
by Mr. Handy
Thank you. Masque of Mandragora is a great story, and Sarah Jane Smith is indeed lovely. She's almost my favorite companion, second only to Liz Shaw (who those of you in Groovy Ghastly Affair have sort of met).

I plan to start the other players' threads this weekend.

Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:28 am
by Mr. Handy
Everyone's thread is up now. You may all post when ready.

Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:11 pm
by aine
I’m off on some sort of gruelling holiday cycling around Pembrokeshire this week so I’m not sure I’ll be able to post until Friday.

Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:24 pm
by Snapper
aine wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:11 pm I’m off on some sort of gruelling holiday cycling around Pembrokeshire this week so I’m not sure I’ll be able to post until Friday.
Some decades ago, while backpacking across the UK, we stayed in a beautiful B+B in Pembroke. The whole of Pembrokeshire seemed lovely. Awesome castle too, to Australian eyes.

Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:27 pm
by Snapper
And apologies Philulhu, I'm really not trying to shut your PC down!!

Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:56 pm
by Philulhu
No worries! ;)

Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:57 am
by Snapper
What exactly are the three TARDIS travellers wearing at the moment? Not Renaissance wear I assume.

Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:24 am
by Mr. Handy
No, they're not. I'll let the players describe what the characters are wearing.
aine wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:11 pm I’m off on some sort of gruelling holiday cycling around Pembrokeshire this week so I’m not sure I’ll be able to post until Friday.
Have fun! I've been watching Monty Python's Flying Circus on DVD, and I recently saw the episode about the cycling tour. Hope yours goes better!

Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:06 am
by SunlessNick
Snapper wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:57 am What exactly are the three TARDIS travellers wearing at the moment? Not Renaissance wear I assume.
Story is wearing slim black jeans and a long blue top (sort of on the verge of being a short dress, but not quite) (bare arms and a neckline much the one in the picture I'm using).

I'm also going to be away on the 5th and 6th (I have to be at a funeral). I think I will be back to normal after that.

Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:37 pm
by jp1885
Brook is clothed as per her picture, plus a pair of jeans and boots.

Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:09 am
by Mr. Handy
I'm sorry to hear that, but it's not a problem. You won't miss too much anyway. I don't have much time to post during the week anyway, so things won't really start moving until the weekend.

Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:20 pm
by aine
I’m back but exhausted so will resume posting tomorrow. It was grand but seriously hilly.

Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:23 pm
by Snapper
Going on a cycling holiday in Pembrokeshire so sounds like the start of a classic CoC scenario using the Green and Pleasant Land supp.

Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:22 pm
by aine
It was indeed very green and pleasant; with a bit of Mythos on some of the beaches. Plenty of inspiration with all the Druidic stones about too.
Very hard work though with kid and tent on board.

Elizabeth sports an old but elegant tweed suit with some sturdy, good quality lace-up brogues, a silk shirt and a cashmere cardigan.

Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:29 am
by Snapper
aine wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:22 pmElizabeth sports an old but elegant tweed suit with some sturdy, good quality lace-up brogues, a silk shirt and a cashmere cardigan.
That outfit should pretty much guaranteed ward off the depraved attentions of oversexed Frenchmen. :D

Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:31 am
by Philulhu
Snapper wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:29 am
aine wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:22 pmElizabeth sports an old but elegant tweed suit with some sturdy, good quality lace-up brogues, a silk shirt and a cashmere cardigan.
That outfit should pretty much guaranteed ward off the depraved attentions of oversexed Frenchmen. :D
‘Brogues and a cardigan? Ooh la la!’ thought Gui to himself… …

Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:15 am
by Snapper
I could be wrong...

Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:07 am
by Philulhu
:lol: ;)

Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:54 pm
by aine
:roll: :lol:

Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:30 am
by jp1885
Just a quick heads-up guys: I’ll be on holiday for a week on Friday, so I might not be posting much.

Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:52 am
by SunlessNick
On the other hand, I think this is finally the end of my own posting troubles.

Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:55 am
by Mr. Handy
jp1885 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:30 am Just a quick heads-up guys: I’ll be on holiday for a week on Friday, so I might not be posting much.
No problem, and have fun! And welcome back to the rest of the TARDIS crew!

Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:13 pm
by Snapper
Mr H!

This forum seems to constantly log me out when it used to let me stay logged in. I tick the box that says remember me. Is there some trick I'm missing?

Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:47 pm
by Philulhu
I have the same issue - I just assumed that my iPad & phone weren’t saving the necessary cookies.

Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:32 pm
by Mr. Handy
I'm sorry, I don't know. I never use that feature, I just always log in when needed. It usually keeps me logged in for about an hour from my last activity, which is good enough for me.

Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:15 am
by Snapper
No worries, not one of life's bigger problems.

Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:51 am
by Mr. Handy
I'm sorry for the delay, but I'm going to try to get up a new thread merging all the others together tonight.

Welcome to Borderline, who will be playing Jean Luc de Monet!

Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:40 am
by Snapper
No apologies needed!

Welcome Borderline!

Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:29 am
by Snapper
Are the ladies now rocking some 16th Century attire? With apologies to Elizabeth, chaste puritanical is timeless.

Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:47 pm
by aine
Apparently we are fitted throughout with a suitable wardrobe of reasonable nobleness and should cause no sudden stir amongst the other ladies of the court.

Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:33 am
by Snapper
Good stuff. Jacques will be both relieved and yet disappointed, no doubt!

Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:26 am
by Borderline
Thank you for the welcome didn't see that til now. So are guests of the duc provided with sleeping quarters?

Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:05 am
by Mr. Handy
Yes, all the guests have been provided with rooms.

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:24 am
by Mr. Handy
I plan to update and split the group into different threads over the coming weekend. Where is Jean Luc heading?

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:16 pm
by aine
Brilliant role playing going on, by the way everyone, it’s hilarious to read.

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:13 pm
by Borderline
Jean luc is going to his sleeping quarters.

Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:35 pm
by Snapper
aine wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:16 pm Brilliant role playing going on, by the way everyone, it’s hilarious to read.
👍 This has been entertaining.

Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:11 am
by SunlessNick
Snapper wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:35 pm
aine wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:16 pm Brilliant role playing going on, by the way everyone, it’s hilarious to read.
👍 This has been entertaining.
Indeed it has.

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:17 am
by Mr. Handy
I'm sorry for the delay, but I've finally managed to get the new threads up and running. The last month has been pretty bad. I've been very busy at work, and I'm probably going to lose my job in a few weeks. The silver lining is that I may have more time in the near future to run this game, and maybe get Zombie Apocalypse going again, though I do want to spend time trying to find a new job. I've also been sick and more sleep-deprived than usual lately (and I'm still very sleep-deprived), but I managed to get this done tonight.

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:15 am
by jp1885
Sorry to hear about your troubles Mr H. Get well soon - I’m sure you’ll bounce back!

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:15 pm
by Philulhu
Sorry to hear that :(

I hope you get sorted on the job front.

Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:44 am
by Mr. Handy
Thank you both! I'm feeling better now, and hopefully I'll get to take all the time off I need to take. I have a quite a bit of leave time that I'll lose if I don't use it. I just hope it doesn't get denied to me.

Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:39 am
by Snapper
Terrible timing, Mr H. I hope you still have a Merry Xmas despite all.

Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:35 am
by Snapper
Will be a bit erratic in my posting next few days. Merry Xmas everyone!

Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:49 am
by Mr. Handy
Thank you, you too!

Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:16 pm
by jp1885
Hi folks,

I’m pretty much on radio silence now until after Christmas.

Thanks Mr Handy for continuing to run these timey-wimey adventures; I’m having a blast!

Best wishes to you all for the festive season!

JP

Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:26 pm
by Mr. Handy
You're welcome. I'm glad you're having fun. Best wishes to everyone as well!

Posted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:08 am
by Philulhu
Hope everyone had a good day yesterday :D

Posted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:53 pm
by Mr. Handy
Thank you, I did. I hope everyone else did too.

Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:55 am
by Snapper
Happy New Year!

Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:01 am
by Mr. Handy
Thank you, and Happy New Year to everyone!

Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:10 am
by Philulhu
Happy new year! 8-)

Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:11 am
by Snapper
So many great lines and scenes from Red Dwarf!

Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:25 pm
by Mr. Handy
Yeah, I've been rewatching the first eight seasons, which I have on DVD.

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:14 am
by Snapper

Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:02 pm
by Snapper
Not sure that was language you'd hear on original Dr Who!!

Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:33 pm
by jp1885
Trust me to lower the tone!

Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:32 pm
by Philulhu
Gui’s missing out on all the fun, by the sounds of it! :roll:

Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:53 pm
by Mr. Handy
Brook is a product of her times. ;)

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:54 am
by Snapper
Edgy Dr Who!! :D

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:20 pm
by aine
Philulhu wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:32 pm Gui’s missing out on all the fun, by the sounds of it! :roll:
Come and join the party- it’s in the toilet on the fifth floor.

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:40 am
by Snapper
Jacques pretty much needs a response - any response - from Monet at this point before he can do anything else.

Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:52 pm
by aine
“THHGTTG” I like the abbreviation, Snapper!

I desperately wanted an Arthur Dent dressing gown after watching the BBC production back in the ‘80s. Dragged Mum all round the charity shops looking for one; “But someone has probably died in it!” She’d exclaim.

Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:26 pm
by Mr. Handy
Yeah, I've been a fan since the early eighties. I also have the text adventure on my Apple IIc, which I bought when it was new and really enjoyed. I actually (eventually) managed to complete it without getting any hints from outside the game. Getting the babel fish was fiendish, but I managed to do it. Once that was solved, the rest of it was easy by comparison.

Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:53 am
by Snapper
I'm with you. I owned the original BBC radio series on LP record. God I wish I kept that as a collectable. But based on my enjoyment of the audio, I bought the paperback which is still in my bookshelf, 40 years later.

Aine, love that image!! I bet you were very fetching in an Arthur Dent dressing gown.

(Just recently spied Dent, Arthur Dent's Simon Jones as the butler in The Gilded Age, BTW.)

Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:41 pm
by aine
I see Simon Jones has been in a lot of big films over the years; he’s a hero!
I’m wading through Dirk Gently at the mo and should really go through HH again; probably a different experience after 30 odd years.

Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:47 pm
by Mr. Handy
It's been too long since I've read them too. I haven't read any of them since I read the sixth(!) book in the Hitchhiker's trilogy, which was shortly after it was released, and that one wasn't even written by Douglas Adams. I did watch the Dirk Gently TV series, and I also have the Hitchhiker's TV series on Blu-ray (which also includes audio of the original radio show, I believe).

Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:59 pm
by Snapper
The radio series was a revelation to the 13 year old me.

Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:50 am
by Borderline
Sorry again for not keeping up with speed of play. Work schedule has been brutal but if my character holds you guys up feel free to have him do a default action, otherwise would love to keep playing.

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:56 am
by Mr. Handy
That's not a problem, and I understand completely. You can post when you have time, and the rest of the time Jean Luc will just sit and listen. This part of the scenario is an opportunity to meet and converse with other characters, but not posting won't slow anyone down.

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:02 pm
by jp1885
Hi folks,
Alas I’ve reached a point where I can no longer devote the time and mental energy these excellent PbP games deserve, so I’m pulling out.

Thanks very much for the thrills and spills you’ve given me over the last few years (and apologies for cross-posting the same message over the forum!)

I may lurk on and off to see how my fellow investigators are faring, but for now, keep rolling well and hold on to your sanity!

Cheers,
JP

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:21 pm
by Mr. Handy
I'm sorry to see you go, but I understand completely. I'll look for a replacement player for Brook.

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:55 am
by Borderline
Thanks and sorry to see you go JP! I totally understand. Hopefully my last post is acceptable I know it's going back a bit as Jean Luc laughed at something after other dialog had been posted.

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:31 am
by Snapper
If it helps, Jacques is a closet fan of the Vikings tv series...

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:04 am
by Mr. Handy
So am I, and Ragnar Lodbrok was awesome! Unfortunately for Jacques, he couldn't have watched it, as he's not a time traveler...at least not yet. ;)

Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:50 am
by Snapper
:D

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:52 am
by Snapper
Having a mental blank. Does Jacques know anything about any dubious history of this region? Have I already asked that question and now forgotten the answer due to my falling wits?

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:31 am
by Philulhu
”You never had any wits to start with!” came a voice from the centre of the maze… 😉

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:31 am
by Snapper
LAUGH!

Yes, thank you, Gui...

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:11 pm
by Mr. Handy
Snapper wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:52 am Having a mental blank. Does Jacques know anything about any dubious history of this region? Have I already asked that question and now forgotten the answer due to my falling wits?
If you have, I've forgotten it too, but I don't think you asked before. You can go ahead and roll Own Kingdom, and so can the other characters from 1517. The TARDIS crew may roll History.

Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:51 am
by Philulhu
For Gui: Own Kingdom (55%) - 1d100

Merde! :(

Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:05 am
by Snapper
Episode 2 and Jacques draws his sword for the first time!

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:11 am
by Snapper
Apologies all, have the dreaded COVID, may be a bit slow this week.

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:07 pm
by Mr. Handy
I'm not the only who thinks having Leonardo da Vinci on Doctor Who in the Renaissance is a great idea. The article does point out that the Fourth Doctor did actually meet him (in City of Death, my favorite story).

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:02 am
by Snapper
👍

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:59 am
by Mr. Handy
Welcome to Umbral Dragon, who will be taking over the character of Story!

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:03 am
by Philulhu
Welcome, Umbral Dragon! :)

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:39 am
by Snapper
Most welcome! 👍

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:49 am
by Snapper
Are we happy to say Jacques is back?

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:59 am
by Mr. Handy
Yes, you're back with the others.

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:16 am
by Philulhu
“Yay!” said Gui dryly, clapping a sarcastic applause… ;)

Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:50 am
by Mr. Handy
I've found some new players who will hopefully be joining us soon, taking over the abandoned characters. Since we're at an important decision point in terms of who's going where, I'd like to pause here to give them a chance to make that decision themselves rather than decide for them.

Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:59 pm
by DragonTurtleMK1
Hello everyone I will most likely be taking over Brooke, from the bit of reading on things that I have done thus far, she seems the most interesting to me. I have little experience with the system but I have read and played dozens of ttrpgs so I am sure I will be able to pick it up quickly.

Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:04 pm
by Philulhu
Hi and welcome to the game :)

Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:29 am
by Mr. Handy
DragonTurtleMK1 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:59 pm Hello everyone I will most likely be taking over Brooke, from the bit of reading on things that I have done thus far, she seems the most interesting to me. I have little experience with the system but I have read and played dozens of ttrpgs so I am sure I will be able to pick it up quickly.
Welcome aboard! Brook has done some cool things (check out the beginning of Episode 3 of The Horror in the Blackout here for example if you have time). I'll help ease you into the game.

Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:38 am
by Snapper
Welcome welcome!

Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:49 pm
by aine
Welcome to the Dragons!

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:20 am
by StarSpawn
Well, I am NOT Umbral Dragon... I am, if fact, StarSpawn! 🐙

I am a LONG time Dr. Who fan and a LONG time Cthulhu fan.
And am, therefore, quite excited to partake in this ongoing story as the newly incarnated Story!

I have quite a lot of reading to do to catch up to the action, so please be patient whilst I get up to speed. :ugeek:
Will try to post as soon as I get a handle on what is going on in the 16th century.

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:46 am
by Philulhu
Bonjour! 🙂

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:23 am
by Mr. Handy
Welcome, StarSpawn! Umbral Dragon never logged in or posted for weeks. The character of Jean Luc de Monet is still available if Umbral Dragon returns again, but until then (or another new player joins), I'll run him as an NPC.

When both of the new players have caught up on the current adventure so far, you may post in Mysteries when you're ready. Once I know which way everyone is going, I'll split the thread and resume the game. Reading the previous adventures can be done at your leisure.

Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:39 pm
by Snapper
How are we all going?

Newly joined members, can we do anything to assist?

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:13 am
by Philulhu
Hail Starspawn!

Just to say that if you fancy adventure and derring-do, you might want to go with Gui, whereas if you want to experience halitosis, boring lectures and an unnatural fondness for animals, Jacques’ your man… 😉

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:54 pm
by Snapper
LAUGH

Time for me to misquote Blackadder:

They do say, L'Argot, that verbal insults hurt more than physical pain. They are, of course, wrong, as you will soon discover when I stick this ornate longsword into your head.

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:09 am
by Mr. Handy
Once there's a post saying which way Brook goes, I'll split the thread and let all of you know what you see.

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:41 pm
by aine
Maybe Brook would like to back Elizabeth up with small-talking the guard. Brook generally has a smart answer for everything.

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:30 pm
by Mr. Handy
It's up to her new player. I don't want to make the decision for him, and you could also make the case that Brook likes to sneak around. Once he finishes catching up on the current adventure and posts for her, I can get the game moving. Reading the previous adventures can always be done later.

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:58 pm
by Mr. Handy
And we're moving again! You can follow the hyperlink at the end of Mysteries to your new thread, which depends upon which way you've gone. Please remember not to read the other threads!

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:04 am
by Snapper
Mr H, hope you don't mind but I assumed Jacques could jump across to Elizabeth's thread as he could see her.

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:12 am
by Mr. Handy
I'd prefer if you posted in your own thread that you're headed that way. Then I'll merge the threads into a new one.

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:27 am
by Snapper
Will amend...

Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:07 pm
by Mr. Handy
For the new players, you can find instructions on how to use the built-in dice roller in this thread, and you can also test the roller there. You're also free to roll physical dice or use some other online dice roller and post the results if you prefer.

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:19 pm
by Snapper
Mr H,

Saw this and thought would amuse you if you haven't seen it already.

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:39 pm
by Mr. Handy
Thanks, I hadn't seen that before. Probably better to use the mechanical lion than the automaton. ;)

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:40 pm
by Philulhu
The automaton is just fine, Mr H! ;)

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:45 pm
by Mr. Handy
I meant to send it toward the king of France. But, yeah, I'm sure the automaton would be safe. ;)

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:58 pm
by Philulhu
Ok! :)

Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:33 am
by Snapper
Gui may be as religious as the next man in the 18th C but as he's in the early 16th Century, he better start finding some religious devotion!!

Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:07 am
by Philulhu
Snapper wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:33 am Gui may be as religious as the next man in the 18th C but as he's in the early 16th Century, he better start finding some religious devotion!!
Is Gui secretly from the 18th century?! Perhaps Story et al weren’t the only ones to arrive on the Tardis? 😉

Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:18 am
by Snapper
Plot twist!! :D

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:34 am
by Mr. Handy
Everyone's posted up, I just need to find enough time to split the thread and update. I should definitely have time this weekend if I don't have a chance beforehand, but I'm hoping I can in the next night or two.

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:06 pm
by aine
No problem. Elizabeth has been teaching everyone how to play noughts and crosses and hangman in the meantime.

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:41 am
by Mr. Handy
Well, my plans didn't work out for me. My computer got hacked on Wednesday. Someone got in somehow and activated BitLocker to lock me out of it. I eventually got back in on Saturday after Microsoft support walked me through creating a USB drive to reinstall Windows 10, which took a lot of time. They wouldn't give me the 48-digit BitLocker recovery key that I would have needed to unlock it. Still, my files were in the cloud and thus were still there, but I needed to reinstall and reconfigure all my applications, which I'm still not done yet. I was busy today too, but I should be able to update tonight.

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:22 am
by Mr. Handy
I'm planning to move things forward this weekend, probably Sunday, unless someone wants to do something first.

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:02 am
by Philulhu
Happy to move on.

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:45 pm
by Mr. Handy
The other thread's still going, so I won't be merging them just yet. Feel free to keep conversing if you like.

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:06 am
by BoyBlunder78
Hi everyone, I believe I'm sliding into Jean Luc's shoes so please be gentle. Didn't realise this was a Dr Who adventure.....even more excited now 😆

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:09 am
by Mr. Handy
Welcome, BoyBlunder78! Enjoy!

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:56 am
by Snapper
Welcome to another one!

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:06 am
by Philulhu
Welcome! 🙂

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:25 am
by BoyBlunder78
Nearly caught up.....be with you soon..... :D

Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:42 pm
by StarSpawn
And I have had some life-related troubles that kept everything non-essential out of my attention.
However, I am returning to this now. Will post today/tonight.

Sorry for the delay.

Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:15 am
by Mr. Handy
Welcome back! I plan to update over the weekend, so you have a little time.

This week I got the Deluxe Edition of The Road to Innsmouth. It's a virtual online escape experience set in the world of Arkham Horror. The regular edition is virtual only and costs $30, and you can only play through it once. The deluxe edition normally costs $40, but Miniature Market listed it for $32, and I got a 20% discount on top of that, so it really cost me a little over $25. It contains physical versions of some of the objects you'll find in the game (though you can also view virtual versions of them), and it allows you to play an unlimited number of times. It's also playable with a team of up to four players, though each will need a separate computer. The box lists 120 minutes as the play time, but the website says the average is about 3.5 hours. You don't have to play it all in one sitting. You can stop any time and pick up at exactly the same place.

Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:46 am
by BoyBlunder78
Ooh, sounds dun. I'll have to check it out. :D

Posted: Mon May 01, 2023 2:26 pm
by StarSpawn
The escape room thing sounds very interesting. Would love to try it out...

Posted: Tue May 02, 2023 5:22 am
by Mr. Handy
I had a feeling you would. :) I haven't played it myself yet. I wanted to finish my game of Civilization VI first, and I just did that tonight. I could still play it again with others even if I had already played it, but I'll hold off until you have time to play it with me (maybe this weekend?) The way it works is that I enter my code on their web page and select the option to start a multiplayer game, and I'll be given a URL to share with you and up to two other players. We can use Discord to share the URL and to communicate during the game. Since only I have the physical objects, other players would have to go into settings and view the virtual objects when we find them in the game.

I don't have time to update tonight, but I hope to be able to do so at some point this week.

Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:44 am
by Snapper
Mr H, just checking - is other stuff going on that's slowing down the thread Jacques is in? I think I've posted 4 Jacques actions in the last 2 months.

Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:02 am
by Mr. Handy
No, I'm not waiting for someone in another thread. The only one who hasn't posted is Brook's player, and he hasn't posted in months. I'd post if I had time, but I was too groggy from anesthesia on Wednesday night, and I was too busy during the weekend to have time to update. I won't have time tonight either. I'll try to post in the next couple days, but it may have to wait until the weekend. It's a complicated update.

Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:16 am
by Snapper
No worries, it's all good.

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:21 pm
by aine
I think Elizabeth is frozen in mid flight, mid air….

Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:51 pm
by Mr. Handy
The strange phenomenon that caused the space-time continuum to freeze has now ended, and the normal flow of time has resumed. Please post when you are able.

Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:01 am
by BoyBlunder78
Sorry, couldn't help myself..... 8-)

Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:47 pm
by Philulhu
I did kinda feed you the line :lol:

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:15 pm
by Snapper
👍

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:28 am
by Mr. Handy
Looks like everyone's done for the night, so I'll move things to the next day and bring in our new player when I have time, which is unfortunately not now.

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:04 am
by aine
No problem; us ladies can have another cup of tea in bed- no wait, did they have tea then? (Rushes off to find out)

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:56 am
by Mr. Handy
Tea came from the Far East, so it's unlikely to have made its way this far west by 1517, but there's plenty of tea in the TARDIS.

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:11 am
by Snapper
Were Jacques there, he might suggest a nice drop of local red, some regional beer, or perhaps a French brandy even [¢]. But he presumes the weird ladies from Narnia probably drink unicorn milk for leisure so most likely he would say nothing at all. :D

[¢] All era appropriate. Except the unicorn milk.

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:40 am
by aine
They must have had unicorns then; the ancestors of the modern unicorn.
(Rushes off to find out)

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:19 pm
by BoyBlunder78
European or African Unicorns?

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:41 am
by Mr. Handy
An African Unicorn is a rhinoceros.

I plan to move things forward to the next day and update all the threads this weekend.

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:41 am
by BoyBlunder78
Mr. Handy wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:41 am An African Unicorn is a rhinoceros.
I for one would not try to milk one of them.......

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:26 am
by Snapper
In Renaissance France, the main unicorn question would be how best to cook them.

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:36 pm
by Joajackson
Hello, as the new player I need to mention that while unicorn milk was not available in the medieval era, it was posible to buy unicorn horns. This is not even a joke, just historical fact

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:28 am
by Mr. Handy
I'm sorry, I've been too busy and haven't had much sleep lately, so I haven't yet moved things forward. I'll try to get it done during the week if I can, but it may need to wait until next weekend.

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:31 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Nae worries 😁 We aint going anywhere.

Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:05 am
by Mr. Handy
I finally found time to advance the game to the next day. You may all post when ready.

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:13 am
by Joajackson
Have to say, really love to say the most overly complicated phrases posible. God damn, is really fun

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:11 am
by Joajackson
Weird question, Is Story named Story in all languages? Or is specifically in english, like is her name the meaning or the sounds?Because I know the Tardis translates for the timelords, so then the Tardis is translating her name to the local language, or her name Is coincidentally the english word.

Like, is she called Historie here?

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:51 am
by Mr. Handy
I'll say that proper nouns do not get translated.

Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:08 pm
by Snapper
No-one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:17 am
by Mr. Handy
I had Brook say "I wasn't expecting the Spanish Inquisition" in her thread. Of course, she's the only character with the possible exception of Story who has actually seen Monty Python.

Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:54 pm
by Snapper
*LAUGH*

Our many weapons are...

Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:18 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Fear.....and surprise......Surprise and fear......

Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:22 am
by Snapper
Our two greatest weapons are fear and surprise...

And ruthless efficiency...

And an almost fanatical devotion to the pope...

Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:55 am
by BoyBlunder78
Put her in.......the comfy chair!

Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:51 pm
by Snapper
*LAUGH*

Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:40 am
by Mr. Handy
I'm sorry for the delay, but I was at PAX Unplugged the last few days. If I can't update all the threads tonight, I'll try to get it done during the week.

Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:07 am
by Joajackson
One thing, I am not answering because I am unsure what Guy is actually answering to the question of from where Abdu'l is.

Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:52 am
by Mr. Handy
That's okay, and please do wait. I have to merge multiple threads once I have time.

Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:54 am
by Mr. Handy
I finally had time to update, and while I was at it, I added the new completed character sheet. Gui, you will want to answer the question again based on what you know from the EDU and Luck rolls (or dodge it, or come up with something else).

Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:29 pm
by Philulhu
That thread’s locked, so I’ll post in the new one (well, edit the post I can impart whatever knowledge he has).

Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:29 am
by Joajackson
To clarify Bey Abdu'l is talking about a rhinoceros, not an actual unicorn.

Posted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 1:39 am
by Snapper
And a Merry Xmas to our 16th Century adventurers! 🎄

I believe Xmas is one of the Inquisition's greatest weapons...

Posted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:07 am
by Mr. Handy
Merry Christmas, one and all!

Posted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:51 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Joyeux Noël 🎅

The Spanish Inquisition have many weapons.........

Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:09 am
by Snapper
Mr H, I was basing Jacques' comments on the Inquisitor on my recollections of one of the Captain Alatriste novels by Arturo Perez-Reverte (highly recommend BTW). If I've over-stepped Jacques' knowledge or misstated facts, let me know.

Also happy for him to make a Know roll if you would like (Actually, will do that anyway). And Jacques may have an unduly optimistic view of the Inquisition.

Happy to edit the post too if you need.

Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:46 am
by Mr. Handy
That's fine, and I'd say Jacques would know this even without a successful Know roll. The things he said are pretty similar to what the Inquisition would say about themselves.

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:19 pm
by Snapper
HNY from early on the date line!

Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:50 am
by Mr. Handy
Happy New Year, everyone! I'm going to enter 2024 myself in about ten minutes. I had to do it the long way, as my TARDIS is malfunctioning.

Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:39 am
by BoyBlunder78
Happy New Year!!! Whichever Year I may be......

Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:45 pm
by Joajackson
Okey. I dont have much idea of the plot, but its good to know that we only needed a short conversation to stop a showing of the king in yellow.
By the united words of the inquisition, a templar and a persian noble, a pretty weird crossover.

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:08 am
by Mr. Handy
It actually took more than that. There are things going on behind the scenes. Jacques is a Hospitaller, not a Templar. But, yes, a very interesting mix.

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:24 am
by BoyBlunder78
This is the mask I'm  kinda hoping to find for Jean  Luc.
This is the mask I'm kinda hoping to find for Jean Luc.

Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:01 am
by Snapper
Much as I love Tom Burke's Athos, thought I'd give him a break. I've been experimenting with the 'artflow' free AI. Terrifying potential overlords these AI may be, they are really astonishing in what they come up with given a few parameters.

This was "45 year old musketeer with grey hair and a scarred face." Seems to have a hard time with scarred face but I guess there aren't that many examples on the internet for the AI beastie to learn from...

Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:37 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Hi everyone, I'm currently in holiday and this is probaly the last Internet I can get for a week......soooo if I go missing for a while feel free to play as me....hopefully I'll be a able to ste...borrows someone's Internet....

Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:58 pm
by Mr. Handy
No problem. I've been waiting for a couple of absent players to post what their characters are doing and saying anyway, so I can probably just wait another week.