IC-Ep 3-Breakfast Time(Elizabeth/Jacques/Gui/Jean Luc/Bey Abdu'l)

1517, Auvergne, France: The Duc d'Auvergne is hosting an elaborate gathering culminating in a masquerade ball in his palace in Vyones, to which he has invited quite a few notable people. Travelers from throughout Europe and North Africa are in attendance to see and be seen. But there are some strange unseen things lurking behind the scenes that may put everyone in danger. Can Story, Elizabeth, Brook, and others attending the party unravel the mysteries and prevent madness from reigning supreme?

This is Classic Doctor Who meets Call of Cthulhu, the sixth of a series of connected adventures set in different eras and locations that includes The Terror Out of Time, The Ninth Planet, The Shadow Over Dunwich, The Brotherhood of Death, and The Horror in the Blackout.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Re: IC-Ep 3-Breakfast Time(Elizabeth/Jacques/Gui/Jean Luc/Bey Abdu'l)

Post by Snapper »

"Ummm, excellent. I shall leave you to enjoy your breakfast then." With a polite nod, Jacques headed back to the others. He gave Elizabeth a Gallic shrug of I think that went well.

"Is there any further on our suit of armour? I'm thinking I may perhaps quickly check to see how the Inquisitor is getting on the with Duc, and trying to convince the Duc to call off this play. Then I had better see to Buttons."
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 1 year 8 months

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Jean Luc looks down at his plate of food, a little disappointed that the exchange he just witnessed was not as entertaining as he'd hoped. He thn sharply raised his head. Turning to Jacques, " You say our friendly inquisitor has a book of the mysterious play? I wonder if he has it with him. I am most curious to see it."
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 9 months

Post by aine »

I too am curious to see the play as it is written. Surely there would be some clue to what will unfold during the evening and we can prepare.” Elizabeth turns to Jaques.
“Chevalier, would you be kind enough to introduce me to Father Ignacio before you ride out?”
She leans forward and in a conspiratorial tone says,
“You might want to congratulate Bey Abd’ul on his country’s success in Egypt and their defeat of the Mamulk Sultanate earlier this year; it’s a bit more up to date.”
She says with a smile.
History: 73 roll:21
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Philulhu »

Gui rolled his eyes and went back to eating his breakfast. The old fool had taken against him and yet was seemingly tolerant of the Chevalier. The only logical conclusion was that he was a shocking judge of character!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

It was the Ottoman Empire (the aforementioned Turks) who defeated the Mamluks, not the Safavid Empire. Elizabeth, you may want to edit that post.

Elizabeth also knew that while Xerxes did indeed eventually win the Battle of Thermopylae and defeat the famous 300, the time they bought enabled the Spartans to ultimately drive off the Persians.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

aine wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:56 pm I too am curious to see the play as it is written. Surely there would be some clue to what will unfold during the evening and we can prepare.” Elizabeth turns to Jaques.
“Chevalier, would you be kind enough to introduce me to Father Ignacio before you ride out?”
She leans forward and in a conspiratorial tone says,
“You might want to congratulate Bey Abd’ul on his country’s success in Egypt and their defeat of the Mamulk Sultanate earlier this year; it’s a bit more up to date.”
She says with a smile.
History: 73 roll:21
" Good, it would be interesting to read a play that is never performed the same way twice....very intriguing" Jean Luc added.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

"Of course, Miss Elizabeth, I can make the introductions now, or at least as soon as we find the Father. I'm not sure anyone ever considered being presented to him was an act of kindness as such, mind you."

"Shall we take our leave of the table now? Perhaps before the elderly gentleman thinks of something else to say. Or dies."
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Elizabeth looks alarmed at the old man but he seems well enough, just half asleep. She finishes nibbling the fruit, wishing that coffee had been invented by this point.
“Yes, let’s go. The more time we have to prepare, the better. I’d like to find out where the players are too and try to meet them.”
She turns to Jean Luc and Gui,
“Are you coming too?”
Joajackson
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Joajackson »

With the Chevalier leaving to continue his talk with the rest, the old man continued his breakfast, the group of christians seemed quite isolated in their united conversation. Secrets, presumed the Bey, common in any noble court.

He had no interest in them, old romances and petty squables in kingdoms far beneath His notice and care.

He unfortunately couldnt leave to find interesting conversation that wasnt currently occupied, for he had to await for if the Duc was to call him, so he stayed, accepting of the solitary silencie of the old age.

Now, the narnian lady seemed quite unaware of the history of his kingdom, and pretty insulting too, but he wasnt to correct her mistake, it would imply he was listening to their conversation, and that would be far ruder.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Mais oui, Medamoiselle,” replied Gui, nodding. He picked up another pastry, and arose from the table.

”Where are we going?” he asked, taking a large bite.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

"Father Ignacio was seeking an audience with the Duc. So, I suggest we look for the Duc."
Last edited by Snapper on Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

" Oui mademoiselle, i too would like to find the players I'm very intrigued to see there preparations." Jean Luc replied.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henri returned. "The Duc and Duchesse are now prepared to give audience in their chambers to all who wish to speak to them," he said. "Everyone who wishes, please follow me."

You're all actually in the Great Hall now.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Oops! Slightly amended the last post to make more sense then.

Jacques politely gestured for Elizabeth to go first, intending to follow along to see the Duc and Duchesse.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Very well,” said Gui, brushing pastry crumbs from the front of his jerkin, trying if possible to ‘accidentally’ flick them onto Jacques when his attention is elsewhere.

”Let us go and see the Duc and see what fettle he is in today.”
Joajackson
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Joajackson »

As the Bey was required by the customs of hospitality, he indicated his translator he would be going to meet the Duc.
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Finishing off his drink, Jean Luc adjusts his attire then gestures to Elizabeth, "After you fair lady."
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Elizabeth nods and leads the way out. As she passes Jaques she stops momentarily, “Excuse me, Chevalier.” She flicks a few errant crumbs from his shoulder. She continues to the audience.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Messy!” Gui tutted at Jacques as he followed Elizabeth.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henri led the group up the stairs on the east wing of the chateau, to the living quarters of the Duc and his household. The Duc's chambers were even more lavish and extravagant than their own luxurious guest quarters. Beautiful paintings, tapestries, and banners lined the walls, and marble statues dotted the edges of the antechamber, which they entered through a pair of large mahogany doors. Another pair of doors led to the inner chamber, where the Duc and Duchesse sat upon twin thrones that were at least plated with gold, if not made entirely of the stuff.

They were not the first to arrive, however. Father Ignacio had gotten there ahead of them, and he was in front of the noble couple with a sheaf of papers in his left hand, while with his right, he was gesticulating wildly. "I tell you, this play is the most blasphemous thing upon which I have ever laid eyes, Your Grace!" he said. "It must not be performed under your roof, or surely disaster will follow!"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “The Masque of Nyarlathotep”