IC-Ep 3-Breakfast Time(Elizabeth/Jacques/Gui/Jean Luc/Bey Abdu'l)

1517, Auvergne, France: The Duc d'Auvergne is hosting an elaborate gathering culminating in a masquerade ball in his palace in Vyones, to which he has invited quite a few notable people. Travelers from throughout Europe and North Africa are in attendance to see and be seen. But there are some strange unseen things lurking behind the scenes that may put everyone in danger. Can Story, Elizabeth, Brook, and others attending the party unravel the mysteries and prevent madness from reigning supreme?

This is Classic Doctor Who meets Call of Cthulhu, the sixth of a series of connected adventures set in different eras and locations that includes The Terror Out of Time, The Ninth Planet, The Shadow Over Dunwich, The Brotherhood of Death, and The Horror in the Blackout.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 1 year 8 months

Re: IC-Ep 3-Breakfast Time(Elizabeth/Jacques/Gui/Jean Luc/Bey Abdu'l)

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

" Your friend does not mince his words! That must be the play...." Jean Luc whispers
as he leans into towards Gui.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 9 months

Post by Snapper »

aine wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:48 pm Elizabeth nods and leads the way out. As she passes Jaques she stops momentarily, “Excuse me, Chevalier.” She flicks a few errant crumbs from his shoulder. She continues to the audience.

("Most kind," Jacques said to Elizabeth, then cast a suspicious glance at the ceiling, frowning.)
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Philulhu »

”’Friend’ is a bit strong, but he does seem agitated, does he not?” Gui replied quietly.

Father Ignacio,” he continued, somewhat louder. ”What troubles you this fine morning? What have you discovered?”
Joajackson
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Joajackson »

The Bey did want to present himself at the duke, and was interested on the blasphemy accusations, but would be improper for him to interrupt as Gui had already spoken.
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 9 months

Post by aine »

Elizabeth looked in wonder at the beautiful wall hangings and paintings. The colours were so vibrant compared to when she last saw similar ones in a French museum.
She crossed her fingers, hoping le Duc would heed the priest’s words.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"It is this play," said Ignacio, turning to them and waving the papers in his hand, "Le Roi en Jaune, that the players are planning to perform this evening. It is an unspeakable evil!"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Philulhu »

Gui looked shocked. ”How so, Father?!” he exclaimed.
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Intrigued Jean Luc stepped forward. " Father Ignacio how did you come by the script?!! It is extremely rare?!"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Someone gave me this copy last night," says Ignacio. "I cannot say who; I am bound by the confessional seal. This play has demonic influence, and it features unheard of cruel gods and things that have no right to exist in this world. Believe me, you are better off not knowing the details. Reading the play's script is bad enough, but it could inspire all sorts of wickedness to see it performed."

"But we have heard such wonderful things about this play," said the Duc.

"From the players," said the Duchesse, "and what they said was rather vague."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Joajackson
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Joajackson »

Taking a step forward, Bey Abdu'l Benham made a sign to his translator to herald his appearence, and introduce him to the duke and duchess. With a proper salute to begin, the old man continued by talking in Azeri, so his translator could repeat in french.

"My greatests commemorations, oh Duke d'Avergne, your home is fit even for a Shah, and your wife has a great beauty of the years and wisdom.

I have heard these unfortunate accusations of blasphemy, terribly worrisome, for I am a man as expert on the words of the True One God as the present men of the Book, Ignacio.

I ask, that before any decision be done over this accused art, I might judge its contents, for we are all Men of the Book and we can blasphemy upon the Lord."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, Bey Abdu'l," said the Duc. "I am glad that you were able to attend. I have heard of your great wisdom and knowledge, and I had been hoping to see them for myself. I look forward to hearing what you have to say about this play."

"I am Father Ignacio Fernandez," said the priest to Bey Abdu'l, "of the Spanish Inquisition. I am reluctant to expose anyone else to the evils of this play, especially one of such advanced age. I am trained to withstand such exposure, but even a man of strong spirit might risk his heart failing him."

Please roll Persuade if you want to convince him to show you the play.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Joajackson
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Joajackson »

The button to do dice rolls doesnt work for me half the time, so I actually dont know how to use it.

Okey, it seems I used it correctly, Hard Success

"I have battled in multiple wars, seen the One True God will a King of Kings to rule all Persia, won against the King of Rum one to eight, and lived almost twice as much as your elderly inventor, the great DaVinci of Lombardia. My heart wont give up now."

The great Bey had been a minor political figure during the unificación wars for Persia by the Safavid dinasty, a very interesting period of history, and so he expected his translator to speak for him
Last edited by Joajackson on Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Still, your reputation for wisdom is known even as far as Spain," said Ignacio. "If anyone can withstand the evil, it is you. Very well." He first showed him the cover page of the script, titled "Le Roi en Jaune." Below it was a large yellow symbol that just seemed wrong:

Whatever you did, it worked. Your roll was a very good success.

Bey Abdu'l, please roll Sanity. Sanity loss is 0/1, so you lose no Sanity if you pass, but 1 if you fail.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Joajackson
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Joajackson »

The bey opened the script and began to read, sligthly creeped out by its strange symbols.

Wait, do I use normal sanity rules, arent the middle age sanity rules different?
Anyways, passed
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

The script was confusing, especially considering his limited knowledge of French.

It's regular Sanity rules. Reading the entire script will take hours, provided you can understand it. It will also cost you Sanity. Please roll Other Language: French to see if you can even decipher it.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Joajackson
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Joajackson »

After observing it for a while, the Bey closed it and spoke to his translator, consulting him in a specific word... Then he paused, looking at everyone arround him, and spoke again to his translator.

"I... I am very sorry, this... Is quite embarasing. I dont actually know enough french to read this without taking some hours or days. I... I am very sorry."

The man was baffled by finding something that he couldnt understand for once in his life.

After a moment of confusion, he spoke again.

"If I was allowed to read it with my companion... I could give a veredicto before the rise of the new sun. But as a preliminary evaluation, a dark aura haunts this tome, I would believe Father Ignacio and at least wait two extra days before it is acted. It would be a wound in my honour if the actors did something profane, when I could have stopped it, be I was even sligthly wiser and quicker."
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Listening to the conversations and the words 'blasphemous and phrases like dark aura Jean Luc whispers, "All this intrigue is certainly wetting my appetite for this play."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm afraid there is not time," said the Duc. "The play is due to be performed this evening."

Anyone may roll Persuade or Fast Talk to try to convince the Duc to cancel the performance.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 9 months

Post by Snapper »

1d%pd50%

Extreme success.  
Reluctantly, Jacques stepped forward and gave a polite soldier's bow. His was not the voice of a polite courtier, eloquent of speech. Rather, his was the rougher voice of a knight on the bastions, convincing his men to follow him once again onto the red-soaked field of battle.

"Your Grace, the generosity displayed to all guests of this chateaux is unsurpassed. Your Grace and the Duchesse are models of Christian charity. For that reason if no other, I have been reluctant to speak for fear of seeming ungracious and ungrateful."

"I must now speak in support of Father Ignacio, however. I do not know the reputation of this gentleman from Persia but I do know what Father Ignacio brings with him, a lifetime of commitment, and years of study and experience. If the Father believes this play should at least be delayed until wiser heads can study it, I beg of you to consider his request."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Of course, you are correct, Chevalier," said the Duc. "If there is any danger at all, this play must not be performed. Henri, go tell the players that it is canceled. There is no sense in them wasting more time rehearsing and preparing for it. I shall think of a suitable replacement entertainment for this evening."

"Right away, Your Grace," said Henri. With a bow, he departed.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “The Masque of Nyarlathotep”