IC-Ep 4-Empty Handed(Everyone else)

Reverend Archie Pennyfeather and Phyllis Cruckshank face a deadly confrontation with the Steadmans and the horror they summon from beyond. Then Story and his friends must banish the Father of All Bats before it claims one of them as a host.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Re: IC-Ep 4-Empty Handed(Everyone else)

Post by Mephistophilis »

Waking on the floor, surrounded by the nubs of burnt down candles, Anna groggily gets to her feet. She has not slept well, visions of Catherine Exeter plaguing her dreams.

She stumbles to the toilet and stares at the crack in the wall, trying to process the events of last night.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

The electricity was back on this morning, as was revealed when one of the orderlies tried to turn on the lights. The seam looked the same to Anna as it had before. There was no other indication that there had been a passage there before.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

Eugene watches as Anna inspects the wall.

“Too much to expect she climbed out of a window I suppose?”
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

'There was a passageway there and now there's not. Who knows what else she is capable of now she is free' says Anna. 'I should have climbed back into the sewers and chased her when she escaped again. But that chance is passed.'
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

"Should've stopped her as soon as she was brought back here," Eugene mutters, half to himself. "But no-one listened to me... I suppose, why would they? Witches in this day and age..."

He visibly pulls himself together.

"We should find out if the creature killed anyone else last night, and if Major Steadman has been reported killed."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We'll need the morning paper, then," said Maggie Duncan. "Shall we head upstairs and see if we can find one? And some breakfast wouldn't go amiss either."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Eugene is more than happy to peruse a newspaper over breakfast.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

People filtered upstairs, and a solid English breakfast was served in the cafeteria. Eugene managed to get a copy of the morning newspaper, but it didn't mention Major Steadman at all. There were articles in there about the bombing of course, as well as known casualty lists so far and counts of planes lost for both the RAF and the Luftwaffe. The articles were optimistic that the RAF was turning the tide.

By the time breakfast was done, Story, Elizabeth, and Brook returned.

"Good morning," said Story. "We spent the night at St. James's Church again. How is everyone?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Eugene, cheered by a hearty breakfast and some sunlight, smiles.

“Morning! Our plans went skew-whiff I’m afraid. The idiot orderlies let Exeter escape and her daughter is also on the loose. However it seems the good Major lost control of whatever he summoned and is dead. Also, their magic jewel has been stolen by some urchin or other.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"They let her escape again?" said Brook. "Well, I guess they don't really know how to cope with magic."

"I think I know what must have happened to Major Steadman," said Story. "From our research, the Jaegerschreck requires a human sacrifice in order to control it. If the sacrifice is unavailable, the creature will take the summoner instead, back to its home dimension. I doubt we'll see him again. A pity he ended up that way, but he brought it upon himself. Too bad it didn't take the Shining Trapezohedron with it, but at least it's out of their hands now. It turned out that the Dagger of Thoth was in the vault in London, and I was able to convince Miss Siddons to let us borrow it. I have it in a carrying case. Whoever is good with a knife may wield it, but be warned: it has a powerful curse upon it."

"The Shining Trapezohedron is like a bad penny," said Elizabeth. "No matter what happens to it, it will eventually turn up. Where are Mrs. Cruckshank and Reverend Pennyfeather?"
OOC,[b]Elizabeth[/b]'s Luck roll (55% stat) to see if the dagger was in the vault: 0 [b]Story[/b]'s Persuade roll (85% / 2 = 42.5% skill) to convince [b]Carole Siddons[/b] to let them borrow it: 1 [b]Story[/b]'s Sanity roll (current level 76) for enduring the fourth night of the Blitz: 2 [b]Elizabeth[/b]'s Sanity roll (current level 58) for enduring the fourth night of the Blitz: 3
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Anna wanders over to join the others. She overhears Brook, 'Well, there's not much some of us can do about magic!' she says, through tight lips.

'Mrs Cruckshank and the Reverend are at the hospital. I can give them a call. Do we have any leads for stopping Mrs Exeter and her pet?'
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"If you mean the Jaegerschreck," said Story, "I have the means to handle it, and anyone can use light to at least keep it at bay. The Father of All Bats isn't her pet. It is an extremely powerful entity, and it no longer has need of her. The dagger may be able to stop it, but at a cost. Otherwise, light is our most powerful weapon. Now that it's daylight, they can't fly around outside. The Jaegerschreck appears to have returned to its dimension, and without the Shining Trapezohedron, they should be unable to summon another one. Stopping the Father of All Bats must be our highest priority, and we need to do it during the day, when it cannot escape."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

'And where will it be during the day? Somewhere under the ground, maybe the sewers?' asks Anna.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"My guess would be the warehouse where it fled the night it was summoned," said Story. "The Home Guard had the place surrounded and sealed off, I recall. They couldn't have stopped it from leaving, but they would notice if it did. It may be laying low until it can successfully draw its intended host to it."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

“So either Angus or myself then,” groans Eugene. “What do we do? Go to the warehouse and confront it, or wait for the blackout, when it’ll surely come for us.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I think we should go after it," said Story. "In daytime, it cannot flee, but at night it can roam London at will. Also, it might not come after you. As I said, it will try to draw you to it. The pull will grow stronger and stronger until it becomes irresistible. It is better that we confront the Father of All Bats before that happens."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

“I hate to say it, but you’re right,” sighs Eugene. “Which takes us back to our original problem of getting me and Angus out of here.”
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Anna laughs grimly, 'You should have come with me after Mrs Exeter, you'd have been out in a jiffy.'
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"They'll never let me leave," said Angus. "The Home Guard gave them very clear orders. I dinna want to go nigh the beastie anyway."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Eugene pats Angus on the shoulder.

“If it is you it’s after, we’ll get to it first. If it’s me, then we’ll save it a journey.”

He turns to Anna.

“If you can get me out, I suppose I’m as ready as I’ll ever be to face the monster.”

Return to “Episode 4”